Speaker 1: How's the stream stream commencing broadcasting on a M five seventy l A Sports and streaming on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: While it's the longest running afternoon sports show in the city.
Speaker 3: No congratulations necessary.
Speaker 2: All traces of Fred Rogan have been removed.
Speaker 1: This is Petros in Money, Thank You, Thank You, hosted by Petros papada Gas terrible person, he's the worst and Matt money Smith.
Speaker 3: The pipes, the pipes, the pipe. Don't miss an episode.
Speaker 2: We're with you, Yeah, follow.
Speaker 3: The Petros in Money Show.
Speaker 1: Wherever you get your podcasts now Here's Petros Papadacus and Matt money Smith.
Speaker 4: And one condition you ad with us, claud you see your father, then you see me, You'll feel this is.
Speaker 2: Not show Some money Ham five seventy LA Sports Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio. A full four hour show today going until seven pm because of the double up Monday Night football tonight. You got the Bucks in the early one, and of course we will have the late one, which is Seattle and Houston getting after it up there in Seattle, kicking off just after seven pm. No Dodgers until Friday when the World Series resumes.
Speaker 5: And stay tuned to AM five seventy LA Sports and scam and the Instagram AM five seventy for all the sweet giveaways. There could be something coming down the pipe and it's not an AM Sports radio transistor. It'd be cool though, well we have those, but we Aucket Radio. We had the pocket radio and you get about that, and that's great, and the Alex Messi ball and the ball the bond of ball excuse me, bond of ballers. But also just stay tuned for something that might be coming down the chute for you.
Speaker 3: The listener.
Speaker 5: Don't forget to podcast our show on the iHeartRadio app for your smartphone and follow us on all platforms including x and Instagram. And right now brought to you by Concordia University Irvines Masters in Coaching and Athletics Administration Program, it's time for the Final Hour Fun Fact.
Speaker 3: In effect, it's the Yeah.
Speaker 2: We're three Facts.
Speaker 5: The Final Hour Fun Fact is brought to you by Concordia University Irvines Masters in Coaching and Athletics Administration Program. Like I said, it's a fact that a coach has more influence on others in one year than the average person does in one lifetime.
Speaker 3: So if you're not a.
Speaker 5: Coach where that most of that most of that opportunity can be made at CUI dot edu slash coaching. That's cy dot edu slash coaching.
Speaker 2: Let's go Canada. P Uh, it is not Ontario, but it is Canada. Did you know those uh clean as all get out holsers up there? Less than fifteen rats per year enter Alberta, Canada. They have a provincial rat control Specialist program detection execution system where rats are quickly and summarily killed by these specialists before they can breed. Making the province of Alberta, with metropolis Edmonton over a million, metropolis Calgary almost one and a half million, we'll kind about.
Speaker 3: Some of the most bustling cities in the world.
Speaker 2: The largest rat free populated area in the entire world.
Speaker 5: I'll tell you, you get one rat in your wheat silo, nobody wants to buy your wheat.
Speaker 3: That's why?
Speaker 2: Is that what it is?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't like this rat infested wheat.
Speaker 3: I have no idea.
Speaker 5: I mean, because you can't think it's like a French thing, because you know there's rats in Paris that are the size of everywhere A monitor lizard.
Speaker 2: But anyway, it's the hantavirus in my wheat.
Speaker 5: Can't have it, can't have it on my weed silo. Let's get Jared stole on what he says, scatch you on.
Speaker 2: Anyway, it's time rats for days and the sketch.
Speaker 3: Oh the size of Woolie Bammoth's right, top story of the top story of it.
Speaker 2: Dang uh Well, it was a microcosm and it was a macrocossom of the Dodger season all in one game, and it was not good for the Panic Brothers. Inside of nine innings nine of the fourteen hundred and fifty eight played over the one hundred and sixty two regular season games, nine innings inside the eighty one played in the playoffs. It was a quick, quick reminder that whenever Eric Carros would join us, whenever David Vassy would mock the Brothers of Panic, the Bops, they were closer to it.
Speaker 5: People have mocked us, and yes it hasn't stopped us over the years, No from actively stupid.
Speaker 2: We do what we do. They do what they do, and I guess they know what it looks like inside and out. And essentially they were telling us, hey, stop bringing the fanness to work. Okay, guys, Sho Haotani has been called, and had been called, the greatest player to have ever put on a Major League Baseball uniform, unicorn, a one of one, and enjoy it now, kids, because as we're told, and now we will echo those sentiments, we will probably never see it again, unless, of course, Otani is birthing an era of two way players that will not take no for an answer when they are choosing which college they will attend and play, whether or not they're going to sign a contract after being drafted by MLB team like Hunter Green did, but the Cincinnati Reads and they said, you're pitching. Maybe he would have dug in were it ten years later post Otani and said, no, I'm not pitching. I'm doing both. But even then you hear it. You hear it from or when we're talking with Major League Baseball players, and to a man, they all say, what man Otani is doing is beyond explaining.
Speaker 5: So you said it was gonna be great, Matt, But there was still a lot of residual dandruff from calling it out as at bats from earlier in the week. So you know, there's a lot of people that didn't hear your prediction on Friday where you said Otan is gonna have the greatest game in the history of baseball, and he did, and you were right, and you were right. But there were still people. You know, we're on the radio the whole week, and not everybody heard that one part. So people during it, I got a lot of Hey, you done, met Smith, you got both, he got a tie.
Speaker 3: What thought his name out of his mom.
Speaker 2: It does not line up. It is beyond common sense that someone can step on them on fire off six plus innings, not just as an innings eater. He's an innings eater. That's what you gotta think of.
Speaker 1: It's somebody that could give the Dodgers bullpens a relief.
Speaker 2: Is not just a fifth starter, but six innings of two hit, ten strikeout baseball against the team that had the best record in the MLB this past season, a team with a lineup that was described as average. Shows that will wear you down, that will grind out at bats, that will create traffic on the bases, all stars like Christian Yelich and Jackson Churio, and that your fourth starter would do that as already an outlier, but then to have that same player go three for three with three home runs, one of them one of the longest of the stat cast era, nearly four hundred and seventy feet out of the stadium altogether. Either of those players is in line for the NLCSMVP after a sweep by the Dodgers. Instead, he removed all doubt, taking the trophy from a hitter like Tommy Edmund taking the trophy for I'm a picture like Blake Snell, by doing something similar to what each of them had done throughout the course of the four game series. And of course we don't need to retell the story of Friday Night. We all saw it.
Speaker 5: Well, you said it was gonna happen before it even happened, Matt like like you were Karanak like you had the big giant like boon jab and anity envelope to my head, did jewel shone and glimmered in the sun? Had our Vince gully sweet And you said Otana's gonna have the greatest night in the history of the world. You know that's not what everybody said. I mean, Carol, guys like this and I think Latan's gonna shove. You know, they said.
Speaker 2: Stuff like that I wish. I wish I were cool enough to say something.
Speaker 3: Like, yes, New Show, I wish I could hit a double every time.
Speaker 2: We lived at p and as you detailed in the top story last week, asking our listeners, where were you in nineteen eighty eight when Gibbie hit the game one walk off against the Ace? Where were you when Reggie Bush was pushed over the goal line in South Bend.
Speaker 3: So hard in the stadium puland Washington right.
Speaker 2: So too, will the question be asked game four of the twenty twenty five National League Championship Series? Where were you?
Speaker 3: I know to my family that this was a big deal and nobody cared.
Speaker 2: And I had a very similar situation except everyone of and I would assume you had the same experience of your friends. Are like, dude, what was it like to be there? Man? I heard you on the field. What was it like to be in there with those fifty five thousand people witnessing the greatest individual performance in the history of sports? And I had to explain, well, yes, I could have witnessed it from the AM five to seventy LA Sports iHeartRadio suite, but instead I had the great pleasure of hearing the first three strikeouts and first home run on the radio from the Galpin Motors broadcast. Want a call in the vehicle that I have courtesy of Galpin Masta my c X ninety P have plug in hybrid suv. Ask for Dan Stirkle, great guy, General manager. As it was being broadcast, A great call from Nelly and Rick Monday and the rest. I was able to get in my living room patio doors open and join with the wife and daughter as we all witness history together.
Speaker 3: Sort of.
Speaker 2: They would pop their heads back in and be like, what just happened? Why are you screaming? The troves of people asking me and I don't know if they asked you pee, why didn't you stay? We even said nowhere for me to go special, Yeah.
Speaker 5: There's nowhere for me to I can't. There's we'd have to stand in the back of the suite that want to advertisers, people that spend a lot of money. There's a seven hundred and fifty dollars sushi played. For God's sakes, we don't belong on there.
Speaker 2: It's no offense to the people of the Presbyterian International House.
Speaker 5: No, we want them to enjoy their time. This it's a big it's a big ball washing for the clients.
Speaker 3: We don't need to be there.
Speaker 2: We like our friends hell to get out.
Speaker 3: Though, you know I will next time.
Speaker 5: I will wait a couple of innings for the World Series on Friday or whatever next week. Like I'm gonna wait a couple of innings and then leave. You know, I might not stay in the suite if it's real crowded, but this is just logistical schedule talk for everybody. It is, yeah, because I'm not gonna leave the stadium again. They're trying to pack everybody in there like anchovies, and.
Speaker 2: They're the point is terrible sharing that moment in the suite, even though the suite has been upgraded considerably with the sushi plates and the fresh fruit and the.
Speaker 5: Feeling like you don't belong, just like, you know, feeling I felt like, you know, a Muslim in the Vatican, you know, like in the last few years and this.
Speaker 2: Year I felt like a rag doll being dragged from Can you say, how do these people Her name is Yvette and it and then with her is her brother in law. His name is Chair.
Speaker 3: No one's trying to talk to me. I'm too weird.
Speaker 2: Looking. I would rather just be sharing it with myself, watching it on the telly, reliving the moment without any alternate listen. They're looking at coming in on summer tour. Can you uh, can you go get a plata nachos, put some chili on it and offer them one, but make sure you dip it in the sour cream first. Like that's that's essentially what's going on in that suite. So for all of those wondering, and I guess we could have walked the concourse trying to stolen, to steal a seat somewhere.
Speaker 5: No, that's what Kate's does. Kate's walks the grounds like until he feels at home.
Speaker 2: It was in the pavilion they were said, there was a drum.
Speaker 3: Cuckoo, kachew.
Speaker 2: I'm a man amongst the people, that's what. That's right, all the people you do laps, Kate's does laps around Dodger Stadium. Are you there for all nine innings? Kates?
Speaker 3: No, I left Matt after the first Otawani hole run. I grabbed my backpack and I'm in a quick B line in.
Speaker 2: My car, high tailed it out of there. And what we have seen all postseason and again, Micro and Macro in this one game. Is that stars matter, Andrew Friedman told us on the field Friday. The right stars matter when you combine the talent with the work ethic, with the winning gene. And so many of these players had it before they got here. That's why they got their big hundreds of millions of dollars contracts. Sasaki Yamamoto Otani from the WBC that Japan won by completely dominating the rest of the world. Freddie Freeman MVP in a World Series in Atlanta, Mookie Bets MVP and World Series in Boston, Blake Snell in Tampa, head to head with the Dodgers, perhaps thwarting their twenty twenty World Series title had his manager Kevin Cash left him in the game winning the cy Young and San Diego. Those deals, yeah, they're gambles, but the risk was so mitigated by all the information that was already available, and you end up putting together what Andrew Friedman told us he had in front of him, and that is the greatest player in the history of the game eventually is going to come around. Freddie Freeman and Mookie Bets for their struggles throughout the course of the season, Yeah, they were a combined one for twenty one in the three games in twenty twenty three. But whatever, you get to your five World Series in nine years, have a chance to win your third. Could argue should be winning their fourth after the cheating scandal of.
Speaker 3: Wow seven time. But let's leave the pass in the past.
Speaker 2: Even with just two championships and we expect it to be three. Yes, we are fortunate and blessed to be in a city chearing for a team that has one of the greatest dynasties, and eventually it very well could go down as the greatest dynasty considering the monor era and how hard it is to win consistently.
Speaker 5: Of any Dodgers have never done it. The Dodgers have never won back to back World Series.
Speaker 2: So and yet here we are.
Speaker 3: Yet here we are with another opportunity.
Speaker 2: Eight and one. So you were right to ditch the Serenity Brothers. I'm not saying we bring it back now. This is this is not what that is. What it is is simply recognizing regular season could be weird, like the playoffs can be weird, and maybe we just need the Panic Brothers to continue to panic while the organization does everything to try to disaster prove this roster and win another world.
Speaker 5: Maybe hell of everything we say and do has nothing to do with anything that happens on the field, Just maybe, But I'm not ready to admit that yet. Patrick Sendmady show continues. But the man, well, you know what he does matters. Dave Roberts.
Speaker 1: Next, We've made it even easier to take LA Sports with you this summer. Make AM five to seventy or your favorite AM five seventy LA Sports podcast a preset on the iHeartRadio app using Apple car Play or Android on a road trip all summer with LA Sports.
Speaker 2: Monday Night Football tonight Seattle Houston. That'll be at seven pm. It's a Monday night football double header, so we're taking the late game. No play by play tomorrow, but you'll have off day dodge or talk as the World Series does not get started until Friday, Wednesday. It is is the kickoff of the LA Clippers season. They will be in Utah playing the Jazz Thursday. We'll have Chargers Vikings Thursday Night Football and then Friday, of course Game one of the World Series, Game seven between the Blue Jason Seattle Mariners faz the Dodgers will wait their opponent. It will determine whether or not they start at home or on the road. Seattle, they start at home, Toronto, they will start on the road.
Speaker 5: All right on your Southern California Toyota Dealers Celebrity Hotline. As the Dodgers continue to win, his legend grows, not just for selling wine with the beautiful Red Stitch Vineyards, World Series winning manager and doing a great job and challenging the Dodgers to be better and better every single playoff series. It is Dave Roberts joining us from Chavez Ravine and the Dodgers workout today. World Series starts on Friday, and we don't know who they're gonna get, but we do know that Dave Roberts will be pulling the levers and doing this thing that excites the city so much. Dave, thanks so much for doing it. We appreciate you. How are you feeling today?
Speaker 6: I'm feeling good. Boys, getting ready on my way to the ballpark right now. We got to work out today and get to see some pitchers, some guys take batty practice. We'll have that Game seven ALCS on at Dodger Stadium. But like you said, Petures. I'm excited for our city. Our city needs it, and our players are excited.
Speaker 5: It really is something special for the whole city. Everybody talks about it in places that you could never imagine them talking about baseball. But it is a uniting thing for our city, like you said, Dave, and it's a special thing. Do you like the five I mean, when you have time off, no matter what, whether you like it or not, do you feel good about filling it?
Speaker 6: You know what I do feel? I do like the way we're feeling it. I think I think it's sort of we're kind of at a place where it doesn't really matter what we prefer. I like the idea of not giving yourself an out or an excuse, so regoose of opponent. Whether we travel Wednesday or we're home on you know, we stay back and wait for the Mariners or whatever five days, keep going into a series. It doesn't matter. As Yamamoto said, we should go.
Speaker 2: Losing is not an option you you had a choice, You had a very you know, I would say, I don't know if it was tough or easy. When it comes to who you wanted to start Game one in each of these series, you decided to go with Blake Snell. If it was Yamamoto, if it was Glass Novel, was Otani, nobody would have you know, donea said anything about it, just in terms of how you lined it up. What was it that led you to make that decision of how you wanted to lay these starters out in that particular order.
Speaker 6: I think if you look at the schedule of that cs UH, Blake is a guy that we felt most comfortable going on regular rest, which is four days off. Yamamoto we've done a week off. We've done you know, five days off for the most part of rest. And so if you're looking at a potential game series, obviously you know six games is more the sixth game is more like the fifth game is more likely than the sixth game, and so you try to put your players in the best position have success. So if there was a fifth game, we felt better with Blake and as opposed to Yamamota right there, and it kind of couldn't have worked out any better.
Speaker 2: You go to the order, Dave, as Dave Roberts joins us first game of the World Series will be Friday. You will hear that at five eight pm. Opponent not known yet Toronto or Seattle. But you go to the lineup and here's Will Smith, who's who's dealing with a fracture in a hand, not sure you know what series is going to play in. But then we get to the NLCS and man, it looked like Will Smith all over again. Just kind of what is what is he going through? Are you surprised by that performance at all? And how hard is that? Because it feels like a it's a very rhythm kind of position right hitting against these pitchers who are so incredibly good, especially in the playoffs, to be able to just kind of look like the Will Smith we expected.
Speaker 6: Not surprised. You know, he's got a he's got a really slow heartbeat. Certainly he's not one hundred percent. And I got to give Ben Rourtvett a lot of props for kind of being the stop gap behind the plate and he was fantastic, and uh but yeah, to have you know, a three time All Star back behind the plate to hit him in the middle of the order, we've obviously makes us a lot better. And I just can't say enough about Will and very uh, you know, in my opinion, is still very underrated.
Speaker 5: We can't say enough about the Dodgers and what they're doing. It's been fun on the station, it's been fun in town. And the man in charge, Dave Roberts, a great ambassador of baseball to the whole city, is our guest right now. Uh. I got to ask because I mean, I know, you guys do a lot of things on purpose, but there's got to be some luck involved as well. That all four of these starters are up and running at this point in the season, it had to be something you guys had in mind all year.
Speaker 6: Yeah. I wouldn't say that's luck, though. I think that's part of being able to hold. It's kind of like that whole brave Heart, you know, or Russell crows or Mel Gibson saying mel or Russell's saying hold hold, And I think it's yes, Mel, And I think that it's like with us. You know, whether you have Blake or you have Tyler, you have and the guys in the bullpen or you know, show Hey not ramping him up, it's like hold, hold, hold, and you want to be able to do it so they have bullets at the end of the season. So I do credit obviously the entire organization. We have depth to kind of overcome a summer where you're not fully healthy. But that wasn't luck. That was more kind of methodical making sure we kind of hold our guys back to make sure they're ready to go when needed through October.
Speaker 5: And you know, it was kind of like that with Otani and the pitching, the hold and what we've seen is is unbelievable. We lack so much perspective on this, Dave. I mean, you're a guy who did the impossible as a player when you guys came back in Boston down down oh three, So you've seen that, you know, in your life before, something no one's ever done before, and you're a big part of that, a legendary part of it. Are we ever going to get perspective on what Otani's doing? Can we ever really define it properly?
Speaker 6: I don't think so. You know what's funny is I was talking to a friend of mine the other day and he actually took offense to when I said it was the greatest baseball performance of all time, And his counter was, how do you even say that it's the greatest sports performance of all time? So, you know, what if you kind of put it in that context, it's hard to argue that. But yeah, you know, he's just usial player. Uh, certainly the biggest of stages and what he did was, uh was memorable. And I said it the other night, It's like he created a lot of memories for a lot of people that night.
Speaker 2: Is it hard to put the roster together when you've got to figure out whose because you know, you do have those those guys like you mentioned Ben, you know, and how big he was in sort of splitting those games with with Will Smith. But at this point do you feel like it's it's automatic or are there still some tough decisions to make when it comes to this, Uh, this final series.
Speaker 6: I think it's pretty much cut and paste, you know, for from the CS to the World Series. Uh, there might be one whether it's a position player pitcher, we might kind of flip in and out, but depending on the matchup potential. But I think that this one, you know, seven game series, so you're certainly leaning a little bit more towards the pitching. So yeah, I think it's pretty going to be pretty similar.
Speaker 2: Just you know, we as we know the home runs, right, those are great epic moments, you remember those, the starting pitching has been so dominant, seems to be the prevailing theme of the Dodgers through these nine games. But Dave, what about defense, Like, can you share with us and the listeners, like how much work goes into defense? Because you think about you know, Freddy digging out that ball to clinch a you know, to clinch a series, whether or clinch a game. I should say about the wheel play, just how much these players put into that particular facet that maybe goes well. It is the most overlooked of pitching and hitting, and then defense, of course is a huge part of it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the defense and the base running certainly are overlooked, and it's one of those things that really doesn't show up in the scorecard. But yeah, and even key K's play the other night was a special play and where Shohy could have gotten a little bit more taxed and stressed. And Kiky has any ending double play, you know, so those things matter where well, I think, yeah, you mentioned the Freddie play, and there's play even for that, the force play to get that lead run and then the screw from Tommy Edmund And we've been very sound defensively in the postseason. Things get so magnified, and the extra outs, the extra base that you give up or the base that you can get on the offensive side certainly get more magnified, especially when pitching is at a premium. So it's something our guys work at every day. Chris Woodward, Dino Ebel, all those guys put in a lot of work. And our guys, to their credit, they love to practice. They understand the little things of the game. And even that Max Munty play, you know, that ball to his left infield in fields, it slides, turns, throws a strike to Will who makes a great catches. It makes a great tag to kind of limit damage for a glass now sending. So all those things don't get lost on us.
Speaker 2: Though.
Speaker 5: I got to ask you because you do such a great job of celebrating your players and helping us find perspective on what they're accomplishing and what kind of people they are. But this is your tenth season as a Dodger skipper, You're headed to your fifth World Series. You know there's three guys like Key k Munci and Kersh around from that twenty seventeen World Series team.
Speaker 3: Do you allow.
Speaker 5: Yourself to look back on what you're accomplishing what you've been doing as a baseball manager for a decade.
Speaker 6: You know, I tried not to kind of get into that headspace. Certainly obviously gratitude for being in this organization. I love the Dodgers. I said it many times over. I've been invested for a long time. We have a great organization, great players.
Speaker 3: You know what.
Speaker 6: Honestly, I just guard against complacency and I'm always trying to get better, trying to learn. But yeah, when you're talking about Allston, you know, Tommy and Sparky Anderson in the postseason and those names, Joe Tory, it's certainly mind blowing. But you know, I guess I'll win four more games and then I'll kind of reflect on that over the offseason.
Speaker 2: We know you got to go. But I would love to ask real quick, because we talked about it in the open here, Dave, our role in all of this and the clowns that we act like when we come down on the field, do you do you notice certain numbers of the media how they behave during the playoff runs because we're wondering whether or not we're we're a net positive or a net negative for the Dodgers. When we come down for an hour doing our radio show on the wireless mics, do you even notice?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 6: I love it. I do notice. I noticed, and it's certainly a net positive positive. I do think that obviously. You know, you guys, You guys have a lot on your plates. You know there's a lot of sports, a lot going on to Los Angeles. But I do feel that, you know, for where we've put the organization, the magnitude of this series this postseason, for you guys to show face that means a lot to the players and to be boots on the ground. We love having you guys there.
Speaker 3: I saw that guy calling the Fresno game last week, and now he's here with us.
Speaker 2: Us. Uh.
Speaker 3: We're gonna come dressed like the brave heart. Guys.
Speaker 6: Hold there it is, there it is.
Speaker 3: It's Dave Roberts with the Dodgers holding back the starters. We love you, Dave.
Speaker 5: Congratulations on all your success, have a great workout today, Thank you for spending next for on great stuff from a great guy, Dave Roberts. Gonna go down as one of the great leaders in sports and the history of the city market. Coming up next we will do the Den and a live guy Birthday of the day. And after that Texans versus Seahawks, we got Monday Night Football. It's Patris and Money on AM five seventy LA Sports. Hello, PMS listener, Did you know AM five seventy LA Sports has a wide range of LA sports podcasts. There's Rogan and Rodney.
Speaker 3: That one is my favorite, Dodger Talk with David Vasse, the Dodger Podcast of record, Clipper Talk without a Musk, follow us all and many more.
Speaker 1: Just go to AM five to seventy LA Sports on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 5: Well, thank you for listening. Everybody on this modello Misha Lota Monday, the Petros and Monday Show with a full show tonight. But then you get Monday Night Football. It's the best of both worlds. Like Miley Cyrus Andy Montana. Game one of the twenty twenty five World Series is Friday. Here on AM FI seventy LA Sports. Tonight we have got Monday Night Football night right after this, and then Thursday on KFI Chargers on a short week versus the Minnesota Vikings. But we appreciate a good modello to wash it down in DP. At least we know the time of the World Series. It'll be five eight pm Thursday. You mentioned Thursday Night football, and of course we can't forget the Clipper season tips off on Wednesday. Oh, that's a five o'clock start on Wednesday. That's a flex alert.
Speaker 2: I mean to have the eighty two game regular season back debuting in U toss side of a spot where you were invited to take part in a threesome or maybe it was going to be a voyeur expedition.
Speaker 3: I don't know what it was going to be, never gonna.
Speaker 2: Why are you saying no? I wouldn't say no, do it right now?
Speaker 5: Might have just put me in a trunk and put a ball gag in my mouth un left me there.
Speaker 2: That's true. You could have been again, still again, maybe some twenty years later. Yet here we are doing afternoon radio as we handed off the Seahawks versus Texans Monday Night football.
Speaker 5: This has been scheduled talking all right for the Dead Guy birthday of the day. Today we go into the world of French poetry symbolism with Arthur Rumbo, the wild French poet one hundred and seventy one years old today from Charlieville, France, not the street below Wiltshire, where my ex lived, but northeastern France.
Speaker 2: Easily confused.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right there below Wilshire.
Speaker 5: Broumbo's father was an army captain, not around much, married a girl from a bohemian family, Thus the conflict and the great French poet Arthur Rumbo. He learned Latin and was schooled, ran away to Paris and was arrested for not being able to pay his ticket. His mother slapped him down hard. Apparently he ran away again and went wild. He drank, he talked trash, He wrote poems about poop, scatalogical poems.
Speaker 2: My favorite I know.
Speaker 5: He stole books from the library, and he grew his hair long. Sounds like a real hesure long hair. Don't care our kind of guy. By eighteen seventy one, he was wrapped up in a violent very famous. What he's most famous for, other than the poetry, is his violent relationship with the famous French poet Paul Verlaines, or as they say here, Verlaine. Poets were the rock stars of the eighteen hundreds, and they had a tour an affair. Verlaine was married to a seventeen year old girl who was pregnant at the time he abused both mother and infant. Verlaine and Rombeau smoked opium, they smoked hash, They drank hard. It was a scandal in the literary community. They went to London to live in poverty. They became bitter with each other. They tried to rekindle it in Brussels, and Verlaine ended up shooting him in the arm, fired off a few rounds of old art. Rombeau but he wrote, and he still holds a bohemian influence on modern literature today and the arts and for libertines everywhere.
Speaker 2: Matt.
Speaker 5: But ultimately, after his two year traveling gay affair ended, he straightened up and he flew right. He traveled extensively as a merchant. He straightened up, traveled as a merchant and explorer. He went all over Europe. He went to Asia, Cyprus, went to Africa and sold arms. One of three.
Speaker 2: It's just that little chapter of his life.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, actually that's basically what he did for the longest time. He's one of three people like to visit Ethiopia that were European at the time. You know, Africa was very unexplored steenth century. That's why we have you know heart of darkness. He died of cancer in Marseille. Was very different from his poor, poetic life. He was simple, quiet, sarcastic, rich, but he was only thirty seven when he died. Arthur Rombeau a famous French poet that everybody can explore.
Speaker 2: All the works have been translated. Well, I would say, opposite end of the spectrum is our a live guy.
Speaker 3: Gay affair Arthur Rambo?
Speaker 2: Yes, then gay affair Arthur Raumbau.
Speaker 5: You see you see these rifles? I sold them for an African civil war. But do they call me Arthur Rumbo the arms dealer?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 5: But you have one wild gay affair with one other French poet who's also as famous as me, and they call you gay Arthur.
Speaker 2: That's right. Eighty seven years old. Dolores Hicks turned Dolores Heart, turned sister, Dolores turned mother. Dolores born in Chicago only child. Father was in the movie business and followed an offer to Hollywood, so she grew up out here Saint Gregory's, but her parents divorced and she moved in with her grandparents. Her grandfather was a projectionist, and that is where her passion for acting was born. She went to the all girls Corvallis High School, then Marymount College here in Los Angeles.
Speaker 5: All those those chicks don't wear g string underwear Marymount. No, they wear full colo, full full colo underwear. I have experience with this.
Speaker 2: Yes, very school plays.
Speaker 5: They double up Marymount. There's one by USC and there's one by UCLA. And the one thing they have in common is well, it's the same school, different campuses and full ass underwear.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the granny panties fifty six, she's just nineteen years old, and Dolores Hart, her screen name, was cast as Elvis's love interest in Loving You. She would share the screen with Anthony Quinn and Wild Is the Wind, Maureen Stapleton and Lonely Hearts, and then as a supporting actress, not just a fleeting of interest opposite Elvis again in King Creole.
Speaker 5: Now, King Creole is pretty sweet, right, it's still Flaming Star where Elvis plays a Native American half breed, but still pretty good.
Speaker 2: You get the you still get the real effect from Elvis as a King Creole.
Speaker 3: You're missing a real effect here.
Speaker 2: Broadway came calling. She won the Tony for Best Featured Actress for her role. In the pleasure of his company. She landed starring roles in Hollywood following that. In nineteen sixty, only twenty one at the time, she was a box office draw in Where the Boys Are and Francis of Assisi, a role that would impact the rest of her life. She met Pope John the twenty second while on set.
Speaker 3: I heard that whole thing really happen, angels and demons. I watched it.
Speaker 2: I listen, not try. He burned his chest, Dan Brown told me. After filming there, she picked up another script lead role in The Inspector, which she shined would be nominated for Best Picture Drama at the Golden Globe sixty three. She does the film Come Fly with Me, another huge hit, and.
Speaker 3: Then that birth the Frank Sinatra song.
Speaker 2: You Know It at Birth p Bertha Calling, as did the Mountain of the Sun episode at the Virginian, where she played Catholic missionary. A Catholic missionary. She was twenty four at the time. During the filming to Come Fly with Me, she became close friends with Carl Maldon, who also starred in the picture. Malden said whenever he and his wife Mona wanted to go out Dolores would babysit their kids. She got engaged to La architect Don Robinson, asked Malden's daughters to be her bridesmaids, and then a month later showed up at their door, said she was calling off the wedding, handed her worldly possessions, jewelry, purses and value to the girls.
Speaker 3: It's all off, that's all you'll course.
Speaker 2: She said she was moving away and that it was a quote affair of the heart. While Hart was making Francis of Assci in Rome. After meeting Pope John the twenty third, I said, twenty second, twenty third, the wheel started spinning. Ultimately, she entered the Abbey of Virgina Loudis in Connecticut. She initially took the religious named Sister Judith, changed it to Sister Dolores in her final vows to please her mother. Took her final vows in nineteen seventy and still today. She chanced in Latin eight times a day. She left behind a fiance, aburgeoning acting career, and even though she broke off her engagement to Robinson, she admitted, as Robinson says he remembers the exact words quote of course, don I love you but every love doesn't have to wind up at the altar. Robinson would never marry visit her every year at Christmas.
Speaker 5: John Robinson he had like four wives after that. He was a coach at usc different played for him. No, no, with the d don.
Speaker 3: I loved her, but she left me for Jesus.
Speaker 2: The documentary God Is Bigger Than Elvis, which told her story, was nominated for an Oscar and Sister Dolores. Then Mother Dolores showed up at the Academy Awards eighty seven today Dolores Heart Order of Saint Benedict.
Speaker 5: Also, I heard the inspiration for the Flying None with Sally Field.
Speaker 2: I think she was a Yeah, maybe Sally Field not a Virgin, I was gonna say. I get the feeling that her Roman Catholic background from the time she was ten, combined with walking away from leading roles in Hollywood. Maybe suggestion perhaps, but you don't know.
Speaker 3: You'll never know.
Speaker 5: Petersonboddy will return tomorrow for another four hour show, Pretty seven, Come On Hot Forget Scam At six am with Tim Kains, Jason Bateman said no, but I'm holding out out for rob Low.
Speaker 3: Enjoy the games. We got Seattle, Texan's coming.
Speaker 2: Up back, Bateman, go back to your stupid podcast where you don't prep for anything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you unprepared, jerk.
Speaker 2: Uh, Jason is busy, Yeah yeah, it's yeah, what's he doing? Because I can tell you, isn't this cool? We just do like interviews with people that were not prepared for They just like spring him on us and we're all surprised and then we ask ye completely inane questions.
Speaker 5: Sounds like you're floss word to go with your own pubes. Bateman, you're not as charming as you think. Yeah, you should come on, scam you jerk.
Speaker 2: Then we would be celebrating the spot.
Speaker 3: It's the greatest podcast. It's innovative.
Speaker 5: I mean you see how in provisational these guys get big incredible. Yeah, but you see instead you wear it in the face, you bitch.
Speaker 2: In your new show sucks.
Speaker 5: You're a pure You're a pure hob Bateman contesting should.
Speaker 3: Come on, let's go.
Speaker 1: That is the time