Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talking.
Speaker 2: Well, we're back in Toronto for the first time since the Dodgers one game Center of the World Series, closing out this series, and we're endowing right now by a man that was the soundtrack to last year's World Series, and that's our buddy, Joe Davis.
Speaker 3: Joe, thanks a lot for the time.
Speaker 1: Hi, Dave.
Speaker 2: Of course, yeah, I mean I thought about you, I thought about Muncie, I thought.
Speaker 3: About Rojas, but in that order, right, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, oh yeah.
Speaker 1: Sure.
Speaker 2: When you came back here and you settled into your broadcast booth, what kind of memories did you have about last year?
Speaker 1: Just how crazy it was in here, right from the Canadian National Anthem where the whole place is singing it, you know, talking to the guys that before the game's here and send they remember back to playing catch half an hour before the game. They couldn't hear themselves talk. It was so loud. So more just the feel of the environment. And then to come here in the regular season and it's kind of flat. It's a reminder how special that was last October.
Speaker 2: Can you take us into Dave Roberts's office before Game seven? What was his mood before Game seven? When you and John Smoltz met with him.
Speaker 1: It was tense in there. What I remember about that is John asking, hey, so all hands on deck tonight minus Yamamoto of course, and they've kind of smiled and said, I wouldn't be so sure. Wow, just simply all hands on deck. So talking through the pitching plan and getting that news that there was a chance that we would see him when it seemed like, of course not. That's something I'll never forget.
Speaker 2: So when Yamamoto came out and you saw him warming up in the bullpen, initially you and John Smoltz were not surprised.
Speaker 1: No, we were. I guess I wouldn't say we weren't surprised because I think even when you hear that he's available, it's still like, well see, but to see him, yeah, to see him warming up. We had heard from Dave Roberts that there was a chance he was going to be available for him, and even though it seemed crazy, there was.
Speaker 3: Joe Davis is our guest, all right.
Speaker 2: So these magical moments happened, so many of them. The Rojas home run, Your call will live on forever in those moments, I mean it felt like it was raw emotion, like we all had, yeah.
Speaker 1: The Rojas home run in particular. So I don't love the call just from like a play by play x's and o's standpoint, you know, play by play one oh one. I think it should have had a cap to the end of it. But I guess what I do like about it is that it was just raw surprise, genuine authentic shock at what I was seeing. I think everybody in the world was focused on the on deck circle and then he popped it, and it just it wasn't the perfect call, but I guess it was appropriate and that it was real. It was exactly what I was feeling in the moment.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's why it is perfect.
Speaker 2: Your call reflected how all the viewers were feeling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, And I guess that's what you hope for, You hope that you know. I think that at the end of the day. In my job, we talk about what the perfect call is and what you want to do in the job and what it calls for. But I think ultimately you want to be somebody who's sitting there and folks feel like they're sitting there having a beer watching the game with you. So anyway that you can touch on that, I guess is a win.
Speaker 3: You have kids, you're in the community. I'm not sure if you've heard this, but I have.
Speaker 2: What's it like for you now at a point where you've called so many memorable moments, but the final out of last year's World Series, I hear kids on the playground repeating your call in mookie BET's game ending double play?
Speaker 3: Has that resonated with you? Are you even aware of that?
Speaker 1: No, that means a lot to hear that, but it does resonate. I think you. I grew up wanting to do this job, and part of what is special about the job when you're with a team is that connection that you get with a fan base and something I could have never anticipated growing up in Michigan. But not just being connected to a fan base, but this connection you feel like you have with an entire city like Los Angeles. Yeah, it's hard to really put into words what that means.
Speaker 3: I'll just paint the picture for you.
Speaker 2: I've seen kids pretend they're mookie Bets, and as they're trying to pretend they're mookie Bets, they're repeating what Joe Davis called in the final out of that World Series.
Speaker 1: That's really cool. I know my kids do it, but that's because I ground them if they don't. You know, I don't let them wear a T shirts. They have dads calls on them, and I only let them speak to me in calls. You got to express whatever you want to say in calls.
Speaker 3: Buddy, Yeah, no doubt, no doubt, You're gonna have dinner tonight. That's right, that's right.
Speaker 1: And then the kid says, no way, Roccoley, no.
Speaker 3: Way, Joe, before I let you go.
Speaker 2: You obviously get to see other teams interact with other players and managers. Can you put into perspective where the Dodgers are at this year compared to other teams early in the season.
Speaker 1: I think they're in their own world in the National League. I think in the American League, the Yankees have proven to be better than folks even anticipated. The Yankees pitching when they get healthy is terrifying. But in the National League, I feel like it's the Dodgers and everybody else. I don't even really know who's at the top of that other bucket. I think there are a lot of teams that could make a case to be at the top of the other bucket. I just don't think anybody's close to the Dodgers at this point.
Speaker 2: I would love to see a rematch of the twenty four World series with you.
Speaker 1: That's kind of I don't want to say I'm rooting, but if gun to my head, if I had to pick something, that would be a wonderful rematch.
Speaker 3: No doubt, and Joe Davis will be there.
Speaker 2: Yes, right, Thanks a lot for the time, Thanks for sharing those great stories with us, And suddenly everybody wants to know the behind the scenes of that game seven.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course, if anytime