Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Basse for Dodger Talk. Welcome back to Dodger Talk. David Basse with you until eight o'clock tonight here on AM five to seventy LA Sports. Sometimes certain guys are excited to join the show. Some guys even shower and comb that beautiful blonde hair and trim that beautiful beard. Ready to go to talk to us for the first time in twenty twenty six, and that is Blake Trying and Blake, Happy New Year. Great to see you, and thank you for taking a shower before this conversation.
Speaker 2: I wish you would have. Yeah, we're in a good spot. Thank you for having me, Dave.
Speaker 1: You seem to be a little bit more tempered. You want to ease into things this time around day.
Speaker 3: This is your show.
Speaker 2: You need to moderate how you wish. I'm here to answer any questions you want.
Speaker 1: Well, honestly, you are one of the guys that I was most eager to talk to because I don't have a short memory. I know how much you have done for the Dodgers in the last three World championship seasons and how much you want to come back and be part of a three Peats. What's this off season been like for you to get your body and mind ready.
Speaker 2: It's just been a lot of reevaluating how I trained, talked to Eric Kressey, did some new training styles, I guess, to try to get myself more athletic, got some rest and recovery that my body probably needed I didn't realize it needed. And of course I'm excited to come back. Last year wasn't a great ending for me in a sense of like helping the team, so I hold I like to think I've held myself to a higher standard than that in my career, and so this year really high expectations for myself and excited to get back out there and compete and have some success with the team.
Speaker 1: Blake, you pushed yourself to the limits in twenty twenty four and in Game five of the World Series to help the Dodgers beat the Yankees. How real is it the after effects, the lingering effects of pushing your arm to the limits the way you did two years ago.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think I had other issues last year mechanically that probably made it seem like my body was fatigued. But yeah, I think, you know, the biggest thing is just even just post surgery. As best you can do, the best I can relate it is you find something that works, and it worked in twenty four, and then trying to find the version that I've been my whole career. You know, you kind of forget little cues and some things aren't clicking the right way, and you start trying to figure out what it is. And sometimes it walks you farther away from the answer. Sometimes it brings you closer to the answer. And I feel like we're in a really good spot this spring, and like my bullpeny went really well, and get another one tomorrow and from there we'll see if they have me in lives.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I feel great. This is I'm super happy to be here.
Speaker 2: I know my family's pretty excited to get things going, and yeah, it's good to see everybody kind of rolling in this time.
Speaker 1: What are the cues? Are they the cues from twenty twenty four? Are they the cues that you discovered this offseason?
Speaker 2: I don't know's it's stuff that I've had in the past, but maybe I couldn't get my body to get to those positions, so it's all not worth talking on the radio.
Speaker 3: But it's it's in a good spot.
Speaker 1: So you feel like the action on your pitches, where your arm sod is, all those things are where you want to be early on.
Speaker 2: All the signs from my first bullpen showed that everything was moving really sharp and late, So I'm excited about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, is it to private to ask you how much weight you've lost and just the conditioning that you put in this offseason.
Speaker 3: I haven't lost that much.
Speaker 2: I just I think body composition changed a little bit, probably down a few pounds.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I feel healthy. I feel healthy. Just I'm trying to, you know, play.
Speaker 2: As long as I can and as great as you know the Good Lord will allow me, so firmly believing that until the day I retire, I'm going to be competing at the highest level I've ever competed, and I don't expect anything different this year.
Speaker 1: I mean for a skinny fat guy, Blake. When I see a guy come into camp the week, any fat guy. No, No, I'm calling my skinny fat guy.
Speaker 3: And you looked right at me.
Speaker 1: I'm looking I'm looking at you in the eye. I'm the skinny fat.
Speaker 2: Guy here back in a complidence said, oh, you look great from working hard all off season, but you're a skinny fat kid.
Speaker 1: I'm the I'm the skinny fat kid. And that's why when I see you coming.
Speaker 3: Too camp, you can Is that what you're saying?
Speaker 1: No, No, I can't. I think I feel like you've gone yoga. Did you do a lot of yoga? You look like a yogi type.
Speaker 3: I'm out on yoga. I don't need yoga in my life.
Speaker 2: Pilate's no, just work hard, you can stretch. I need to go into that weird stuff. I ain't doing yoga.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, I know you. I mentioned this to you yesterday. But the way your bullpen is shaping up now, Blake, it looks like it with Bazuka coming back, Vessia coming back, yourself, along with Edwin and Tanner, it feels like Jack Dryer, Ben Caspirius, Justin Robleski, how uh, how devastating have been Phillips second half? See see it feels like you guys maybe the forgotten part of this team that everybody's talking about.
Speaker 3: It's okay, is there all talking head points? And I appreciate that out of you.
Speaker 2: I just I've heard it every year where it's like, hey, this looks great, We're gonna you guys look like you're the best in baseball and this or that or hey, like, what are the things we got to answer?
Speaker 3: And it's all fair questions.
Speaker 2: I just at the end of the day, I just think we know what we're capable of and just go do it.
Speaker 3: You know, nobody needs to try I just do it. It's a league of doing it, So go do it. That's where I'm at.
Speaker 1: Okay, can I ask you a big picture question about the team? Blake Tryning is our guest on Dodger Talk. You got to come with your a game. If you're gonna stand in front of forty nine's locker, when you look at when do you look at the you.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, David?
Speaker 1: Is it across the way? Clayton Kershaw held that locker for a long time. He's no longer here. What's it like without him in camp with you guys and just being on the other side of the doorway here?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I shot him at text.
Speaker 2: I said, it's a little weird you're not walking in with your coffee every day heading the shower, But I don't know you'll be bringing that energy at Team USA.
Speaker 3: WBC so just asked how he's doing.
Speaker 2: Wished him luck and he said it felt feels a little weird, but but yeah, I think it'll feel weird for anybody when you finally hang it up.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it'd be fun to watch him, you.
Speaker 2: Know, from from home here in spring training and doing this thing, hopefully some pretty awesome moments.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no doubt.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a great way. It's like a storybook.
Speaker 2: And then you know, having got a chance to go out on top with us and then out on top of your nation.
Speaker 3: Pretty cool, all right?
Speaker 1: Before I let you go, You're a man that obviously has opinions about things. So when you look at I know.
Speaker 2: Careful, you might change the mass population's opinion of me in a good way. Since most people have different opinions of me, you might might actually swing some opinions in favor of maybe ask the right.
Speaker 1: Questions if they listen to us, I mean, they know what kind of guy Blake Trning is. And I'm wondering what you thought about the Dodgers sick knowing from the top signing these players and the reaction the rest of the league had to the Dodgers trying to compete and win.
Speaker 2: Again, Listen, I think everybody in baseball. I would be shocked if people are upset with what the Dodgers are doing. I think it's something that most players have been excited for us to have an organization from top to bottom, willing to invest in bringing a winning product in And you know, I think you see other players talk about it's because Hey.
Speaker 3: We want to be on a team.
Speaker 2: We want our team that we love and the fans that we love to be supported the way that you know, the Dodgers ownership and everybody's ownership group is different. I can't speak for people, you know, but to be a part of this organization where they're willing to put everything into making the club better, moving the needle in.
Speaker 3: The positive direction, like, it's pretty wild.
Speaker 2: And then pinch yourself to be a part of it, like the fact that I'm still here and they value me as a as a player, Like that's a huge blessing.
Speaker 3: I don't take that lightly. It's pretty cool.
Speaker 1: It's been a long relationship between you and the Dodgers, Dave, you didn't know that. I mean, I remember when they signed you. Going into the twenty season, A lot of people were wondering about Blake trying and You proved a lot of doubters wrong, and I feel like twenty six is going to be full circle again, prove a lot of doubters wrong.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Dave, appreciate it. You're the man.
Speaker 1: I'm here for you, life coach. Whenever you need me.
Speaker 3: You always are, You always are. You're always pumping my tire for sure.
Speaker 1: How could I not world series hero? Right here? Blake trying kline too? How about that? You got a whole locker full of World series heroes twenty twenty four. It doesn't happen without Blake trying to win back to back. I know, but when you went back to back championships, you got to have the first one first.
Speaker 3: It's fair, Okay, It's just hard for me to hear you talk about it. We got new goles. I'm grateful for it, but we got new goals.
Speaker 1: This is the last time I'll ever mention it.
Speaker 3: He hold them to it. Fancy, okay, Thank you, Blake.
Speaker 2: In ten years, when we celebrate each of these World series accomplishments, if you want to rehash it, I'll allow you to do it.
Speaker 1: The next debate will be who's got better here in the bullpen? You or brock Stewart.
Speaker 3: Rocking, Haab rocking, have It.
Speaker 1: Thanks a lot for the time, Blake, great to see you and Man happy you're healthy and ready to go for the season.
Speaker 3: Thank you, thank you. Looking forward to it.