Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talk. We are joined right now by one of my favorite people, a man that made himself known to Major League baseball, making his major league debut so many first last year for Dalton Rushing. Can't wait for his sophomore season with the Dodgers and he will have a new teammate and Kyle Tucker. Dalton Rushing, Welcome to Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: How you doing. I'm doing good.
Speaker 1: Good to hear from you that, Hey, this was great timing. We set this up a while ago, and it's the night that Kyle Tucker signs with the Dodgers. I wasn't expecting that.
Speaker 2: Almost like you knew something.
Speaker 1: Man, how much I don't know. How much do you guys talk about these things amongst each other, about whether or not a guy like Tucker may sign with you or is it just something that you sit back and watch and wait and see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's I think it's kind of cool to just watch it unfold. Obviously, free agency for any players an exciting time, also hectic, but yeah, I mean it pops up tonight and you see it. You want to be surprised. But at the same time, it's every team tries to win a World Series every year, and Dodgers are willing to do whatever.
Speaker 1: What was it like for you last year being part of this team that obviously has a World Series on their minds when they report to spring training. For you to get the call in the middle of the season and to have big hits for this team and to be there, you know, for and be a big part of it. What was it like your first full season?
Speaker 2: It was good. Overall. The main goal with any team you ever played for it that level is going to win a World Series, and so on that side, very successful. It was an unbelievable group, I think, I would say obviously from looking in beforehand, you get to play with some of the best players in baseball still, and I think that itself is a huge privilege for young guys, especially your rookie year, to see the things that I saw, learn the things that I did with like I said, the guys surrounding me.
Speaker 1: Dalton Rushing is joining us tonight on Dodger Talk and Dalton, just thinking back to your season, People ask me all the time about my favorite moment of the year of the World Series. But if somebody were to ask me about my favorite Dalton rushing moment of the season last year was your game in San Diego where you had a huge home run against the Padres on that day game to kind of remind the Padres that you guys are still here and at that time the race was really close. When you think back to your season last year, is that one of the games one of the moments that sticks out to you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would say that was for sure. I wouldn't say the highlight. Obviously, you win the World Series, that's your highlight. But for me, it was kind of a moment of things weren't going my way for a little bit, and so you kind of you fill your team around you support you, and you do something like that. But like you said, it was a big game for that time of the year. But I just I was glad that I was able to help the team win on that Sunday day game and allow us to do the things that we did later in the year.
Speaker 1: Regardless, when did you start to settle into the season once you got called up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like the guys did a really good job of making you feel pretty at home early on. It doesn't really feel as I guess uptied as people would think from the outside. As far as being a rookie on a team like that, I think it's the Dodgers just do a good job of surrounding you with good people, good resources, and comes with that as some of the best players in the world. So yeah, it's it wasn't too bad to kind of like feel like I was a part of the guys very soon if you guys took me under their wing and just kind of allowed me to learn as much as I could for being in the position and playing the role that I played.
Speaker 1: Dalton Rushing is our guest on Dodger Talk. It's the night that the Dodgers signed Kyle Tucker to a four year contract, and you know, going back all the way back to November, Brandon Gomes was talking about how the Dodgers wanted to get you more at bats this upcoming season. He even mentioned the possibility of you getting some reps in the outfield. I guess that's over with now, Dalton's psych Kyle Tucker, did you ever did you ever pick up your outfield glove again this offseason?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've just kind of tried to go at this offseason with the attack plan of basically being available for whatever options that I can play, and playing a little bit of left field that I played in twenty four gave me the idea that I think I could do it at a decent level at least being a catcher.
Speaker 2: So I've kind of prepared my body for any outcome or whatever they may need out of me.
Speaker 1: You seem pretty comfortable at first base last year. How did that happen so seamlessly?
Speaker 2: Yeah? It was so. I played a lot of first base in college. I actually played majority first base my first two years in college before the final season in twenty two, so I had a little experience there obviously, never at this level. I had played a handful of games throughout the miners there, so it wasn't completely foreign, but they for sure kind of pushed me on that side of the ball, just trying to stay as clean as possible.
Speaker 1: Do you feel pretty comfortable at first space.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course. I mean it's like I said, I've played at plenty so I have the I guess you could say I have the trust in myself over there to go over there whenever they ask and play a pretty good first base. But with that being said, I think first base is really just a repetition thing. So that's something that I kind of have to be ahead of myself as far as like keeping myself busy even when I'm not over there.
Speaker 1: This spring training is going to be a great opportunity with the World Baseball Classic and Will Smith playing for Team USA, that means there's a lot of opportunities for Dalton Rushing to not have Will Smith, you know, taking up the normal Will Smith playing time. Has that entered your mind that this spring training you're really going to have an opportunity to get into the rhythm of the season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I honestly just I'm showing up to spring training expecting both of us to get what we need to be ready, obviously him being pushed at a little quicker pace. But at the same time, whenever they ask, that's what I want to do. And like I said earlier, that's kind of the attack that I've taken into the off season, just being able to prepare for any outcome. And with that being said, whether they want me to catch a ton in spring training, whatever it may be, I want to make sure that I'm ready for it. Hey.
Speaker 1: The one thing that I'll always remember about Dalton Rushing three years ago. If that was maybe two or three years ago, your first big league camp, I was. I was so impressed about your understanding and emphasis on the picture catcher relationship. You don't hear too many young ca ac talk about it the way you did. You had such a great understanding about how every picture is different. You got to speak to them differently to really connect with them. When did you really understand the value of the picture catcher relationship.
Speaker 2: I feel like it's kind of It's been important in the game obviously forever, but I guess you would say pro ball. I kind of get into pro ball obviously. You see your college players like a good bit, but pro ball, you see these guys every single day, day in day out. You know their routines, you know their tendencies, things like that, and so the better being their catcher, you understand those guys. It just makes it easier for you two to click and build the trust within each other. I think trust is the biggest word there, and the more you trust each other, the better the execution is better. The execution is more success you have.
Speaker 1: What was it like having your lockers so close to Blake Snell and Clayton Kershaw. Two really good pictures, but two really different guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah you liked that corner, didn't You've asked?
Speaker 1: I loved it you Snell and uh and Kershaw and Snell's one hundred pair of sneakers and honey Boom boots. That was a great corner.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was. It was a good corner. But like I said earlier that those two being some of the guys that kind of helped me settle in I think played a big role of just being able to see the two different personalities in the two and obviously the success that they both had at this level. So yeah, it was a huge opportunity. And who knows, maybe you'll get that same corner next year.
Speaker 1: Hey, wherever you are is the corner I'm going to be in. Rushing you don't forget that.
Speaker 2: I hear you that, I hear.
Speaker 1: About Velcrow dogs. I'm like a velcro reporter. Have you have you had any withdrawals not being around me every day? I mean, I mean, uh, has it been weird not seeing me every days?
Speaker 2: It's weird not pouring beer on your face anymore. We had about a month's stretch of being able to do that and that was that brought joy to me.
Speaker 1: I can't wait to do it again. Yeah, you guys, I mean even before Kyle Tuck. Kyle Tucker's along for the ride. You guys are the core is back for the three p and Kyle Tucker is along for the ride. Don't forget it, man, all right, if you need me in Arizona to help you get ready for spring training, let me know. I'm always available.
Speaker 2: We'll see if you got good bt that.
Speaker 1: Okay, sounds good. Hey, thanks a lot for doing this and look forward to seeing you February thirteenth when pitchers and catchers report. And make sure you put in a good word with Kyle Tucker with me all right? For me?
Speaker 2: Oh oh well, I'll make sure he knows you are all right as I appreciate you.
Speaker 1: I appreciate you. Dalton Rushing, thanks a lot for the time.