Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begun.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth fifth.
Speaker 1: This is world Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: Here we go again. We're gheta running.
Speaker 1: Back hosted by Dodgers in signer David Vassie.
Speaker 3: Three in the mix.
Speaker 1: Dodger Talk is brought to you by La County Public Works Champions recycled beverage containers make the play Recycle Today, and by Children's Hospital LA from Colds to Cancer. We got this. To get in on the show called eight six six, nine eighty seven two five seven, and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you get your podcasts. Here's your host, David vase Day.
Speaker 3: Welcome the Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: David Vasse with you until nine o'clock tonight here on AM five seventy LA Sports. The Dodgers go down to the Astros quietly tonight by a final score of two to one, wasting another really good start from shoe Hey Otani, who went seven innings tonight, allowed just four hits, including two solo home runs, and that was the difference. In the game as Otani and the Dodgers lose to the Astros two to one. It was Christian Walker and Bryden Shoemake that hit those solo home runs. It was Walker leading off the second inning and then the number nine hitter Shoemak homers off of Otani in the third inning. And those were the only two runs Houston scored against Otani, who had not given up a home run this year coming into the start. But of course the Dodger killer, Christian Walker, is the first one to homer off of Otani. It was Walker's thirtieth home run of his career against the Dodgers. We have two phone lines open at eight six, six, nine, eight, seven, two five seventy. Pete Lambert out of Sandmis gets the win after Now, Pete Lambert, I'm sure he's got a lot of family and friends out there in San Dimas. But Pete Lambert is going to shut out Ti Oscar Hernandez, Freddie Freeman, Miguel Rojas and these Dodgers. Are you serious? I mean, no offense to Pete Lambert or his family in San Dimas, but Pete Lambert is going to shut out Will Smith, Freddie Freeman, Max Munsey, Tioscar Hernandez. That's really hard to believe. I don't care how good he was pitching or if this was his best start. It's Pete Lambert. Come on, break it down all you want. It's Pete Lambert. He shouldn't shut out the Dodgers for seven innings like he did tonight. Will Smith ta Oscar Hernandez hitless tonight. It's inexcusable to be shut down this way by Pete Lambert of the Astros, who are in second to last place, who have a reeling pitching staff, and you allow Pete Lambert to not only shut you out, but you allow him to stay in the game for seven innings. That's just wild to me. Considering the players that are in this lineup for the Dodgers, Andy Piez was the only Dodger that had more than one hit tonight.
Speaker 3: He was three for four.
Speaker 2: Kyle Tucker drove in Alex call who was pinch hitting, for the only Dodger run. And I know Will Smith hit a couple of balls to the deeper part of right field, and you know Cam Smith made a couple of nice catches on him. I know Freddie Freeman flied out to the deepest part of the ballpark.
Speaker 3: But come on.
Speaker 2: That this should not happen. It should not happen this many times on one road trip where the Dodgers are scoring one or two runs. They scored four on Sunday, they scored eight last night, and they come back with a clunker, scoring only one run. The one thing that's alarming to me. Once Pete Lambert came out of this game, Brian King, the left handed reliever for the Astros, came in and pitched two scoreless innings a six out save against the Dodgers, who have right handed hitters that are in there to mash lefties. Taoscar Hernandez had a horrendous at bat in the eighth inning. Will Smith didn't do anything against Brian King. Those two guys are supposed to be mashing lefties. Taoscar Hernandez did not do that last year and he hasn't done it again this year. Taoscar Hernandez, All right, how about this. Do you know how many home runs combined Will Smith and Taoscar Hernandez have hit off left handed? Pitching two of your best right handed hitters in the middle of your lineup, do you know how many home runs those two guys have combined against left handed pitching this year. I'll give you a hint. It's as many as you and me combined. Zero. They have not hit a home run off a left handed pitcher this year. That is inexcusable and that is not a recipe for success. Ta Oscar Hernandez is hitting two thirty one against lefties this year without a home run, and he had an awful at bat in the eighth inning. Will Smith is hitting two thirty eight with no home runs against lefties this year. That's a problem that needs to change. If the Dodger offense is going to score some runs, especially against lefties, you can't have Max Munsey being your left left your best left handed hitting player. The right handed hitters have got to get it going. Eight six, six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. I actually believe ta Oscar Hernandez, and I've said this for the last five or six days, has got to be dropped in the order. Max Munsey should be hitting cleanup. It shouldn't be Kyle Tucker, it shouldn't be ta Oscar Hernandez. And the old line that the Dodgers could have used show Hao Tani the hit her in the lineup tonight. That goes out the window considering he's zero for his last seventeen And he can deny all he wants that the pitching hasn't taken away from the hitting, But when when is the last time Sho Hao Tani went one hit one home run in eighty four at bats or plate appearances. That's what's happening right now. One home run in his last eighty four plate appearances. And I'm I'm not I'm not backing down from what I said last night. He shouldn't played tomorrow. He should have tomorrow as a recovery day and then come back on Friday against the Braves. Work on the hitting if you want to keep your timing going. Just shouldn't be in the game, maybe as a pinch hitter late. And speaking of that, did you realize that O'tani still could have came off the bench as a pinch hitter in the eighth inning, top of the eighth inning because he was removed as a pitcher unofficially after the seventh, but he could have stayed in the game as a pinch hitter in the eighth inning, but the Dodgers were staying away from him as a hitter. Tonight eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Lou in Phoenix. I guess Lou you drove all the way out to Houston to see the Dodgers score one run.
Speaker 4: Uh, hey, Dave, thanks for taking my call. If I had a Hyundai like you, I probably would have driven, but I decided to fly.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah, you had a hunt. If you had a HYUNDAIY from downy Hundai, you could have drove there.
Speaker 4: That's exactly That's exactly right, TV. We appreciate, we appreciate that. Yeah. No, really, I'm just here to knock off the stadium off my list. The barbecue that I had today was better than the Dodgers offensive performance. But look, I just had one question that you could answer for me. They tinch hit for Freeland, who's a switch hitter, as we know late in the game with Espinal. Yeah, and I just didn't understand that move there, DV. What what you know? I mean, we're splitting hairs at this point. We knew that wasn't a critical thing, But what's the thought process. There any any insight to us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Dodgers don't believe Alex Freeland is a good right handed hitter. That that's what it comes down to. I was told that in spring training and they that's why he's playing against righty's and not lefties when there's lefties out there. Uh, it's you, Miguel Rojas at second.
Speaker 4: Base, gotcha?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 4: Well, hey, appreciate that. Thanks for all you d d V appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Hey, thank you for making the trip out there to Houston. At least you got to see Otani pitch.
Speaker 4: Always a pleasure.
Speaker 2: All right, Lou, thank you for the phone call. Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers fall to the Astros tonight, two to one. Let's go out to mission via ho. Bill, you're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Bill?
Speaker 6: Pretty good? Thanks for taking my call. It's another alarming thing is the number nine hitters in the last two weeks have hit four home runs against Dodger pitching, which doesn't happen a lot.
Speaker 2: I couldn't agree with you more. You go back to Patrick Bailey beating the Dodgers in San Francisco with a three run home run. It's happened way too many times. Bill, I'm with you.
Speaker 6: And that was an O Tawani start, even though he didn't give up the home run. That's so in a way it was kind of connected to this start, and then the dB Swanson in the Cubs series. Yeah, ninth spot, and then the little used root Rios Revea's the guy that was with the Dodgers, that with the Marlins. He hit one the other day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Oustereos Ruiz. Yeah, I'm with you, Bill. That's tough to swallow. Tough to swallow when the number nine hitters are beating you. And tonight it was the number nine hitter for the Astros, Braiden Shoemake hitting a solo home run off of show Heyo Tani. But two runs against Pete Lambert and the Astros should not stand up, Bill.
Speaker 6: No, that's right. And now you're gonna get a mcculler's tomorrow. Hopefully they can find a way to beat him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's right handed with an ERA of six and a half. They should Lambert spin the Astro's best pitcher. But man, that's tough to swallow. Guys like Braiden Shoemake and Pete Lambert beating the Dodgers tonight. That is not something that I would have believed. Thanks for the phone call, Bill, appreciate it. Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. By the way, I have two pairs of tickets to give away to Will smith Netflix Joke Fest coming up on Thursday night. If you're interested, I have phone lines open at eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy. It's going to be at the Saban Theater on Thursday night in Beverly Hills. Tickets are on sale now and for another chance to win, you can listen tomorrow or on our Instagram page. So I have two pairs of tickets to give away to Will Smith's Netflix comedy show sometime between now and nine o'clock. Let's go out to Brian and West Hollywood. You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Brian?
Speaker 5: Very good?
Speaker 7: I guess you're doing just as good as I. Just want to make a point here.
Speaker 5: Two.
Speaker 7: You know, at the start of every game, we don't know which team will win, nor do we know the final score. But I do think it's reasonable to ask for the Dodgers to score three runs in each game and to prevent their opponents from exceeding five runs in each game. And if that concept or those two points are followed throughout the season, you have stability on your offense as well as your defense, And therefore the losses of the wins are not the first factor, but more or less focusing on do you have any deficits in your offense? Sure, if you score less than three runs, there's room for improvement. If the opponent exceeded five runs, it has to be addressed accordingly. And I believe that teams win and lose, that's true, But the underlying effect is how did you do offensively? Did you score those three runs? And that's a reasonable expectation of any team as well as the defense. Can you prevent your opponent from exceeding five runs? When you see the Dodgers winning like eight seven or nine to eight, those are victories. However, what you will see is there's instability because teams don't prepare themselves for eight seven victories.
Speaker 2: We've we understand all that, Brian, You're losing all of us. It's a little bit long winded. So what's your point. We understand the math.
Speaker 7: Yeah, but what I'm trying to say is you're trying to say win and loss. I'm just trying to look at it from a little different perception and not winning loss.
Speaker 2: No, there are reasons these players that are supposed to be performing are underperforming. Brian, It's pretty simple. If you're getting no home runs against left handed pitching from the two guys that are supposed to hit left handed pitching as right handed hitters in the middle of your order, that's problematic. And there's nothing that Dave Roberts can do about it because those are his players. You're not cutting Will Smith, I mean ta Oscar Hernandez. He's still got one more year left on his contract. The Dodgers are not releasing him. But there are ways to change the lineup. All right, thank you for the phone call. Yeah, it's not rocket science.
Speaker 3: I'll just put it that way.
Speaker 2: And I felt like Brian and west La was trying to make it more than what it was. We understand run differential and what wins and loses games. But you know, is Jack Harris of the California Post going to continue to use the excuse that these guys were sick I mean, is that the reason why the offense is not going consistently. My only issue is these guys are another year older and this is the same group of guys essentially that we're in a second half prolonged slump. Something is not connecting here. Either there's got to be some sort of different type of language being used with these players as far as the hitting language goes, or these guys have got to understand that you can't cover the entire part of the plate, and you've got to be a little bit more nimble in the middle of the game to understand how a pitcher is attacking you, no matter what you saw on video coming into the game. And look, I believe in taoscar Hernandez, I believe in Will Smith. These guys are going to get it going consistently, but right now they're not. And until they do, the Dodgers are not going to go very far, especially without Mooki Betts, especially with sho Heo Tani in the worst slump of his major league career. So all these things are happening at the same time, and that's the reason why you're seeing the Dodgers scoring one or two runs for the better part of the last week and a half, outside of scoring eighteen runs in the first or in the last two games against the Cubs, the Dodgers haven't really done much of anything offensively consistently that would make you believe that they can sustain anything. And the reason being is what I mentioned. And also Freddie Freeman, who has won for four, probably should have had two more hits tonight. But Freddie Freeman only has two extra base hits on this road trip and he's hitting second, so he was one for four. That's that's what it is. Eight six six, nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. Celebrate ninety years of racing at Santa Anita Park every Friday through Sunday with millions and payouts every race day. For heart pounding action and new experiences, visit Santa Anita dot com slash events and don't get it twisted. The reason why the Dodgers were even in this game is because of their pitching. Shoe Heo Tani was magnificent again, Alex Vesia magnificent. The Dodger offense has been lagging all year long. They're twenty two and fourteen, and as Freddie Freeman said, at the end of the last homestand a big reason why is their starting pitching and their pitching staff. And that's one hundred percent true. That's what won the Dodgers the World Series. It was their pitching, it was their defense, it was their base running and timely hitting. Right now, they got the defense, they got the pitching, but they don't have timely hitting happening consistently. And they've hit into ten double plays on this road trip, ten double plays in five games on this road trip, and tonight they left eight more men on base. They were one for eight with runners in scoring position eight six, six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. We're gonna take a time out here on Dodger Talk when we come back more of your phone calls, and also we'll share our conversation with Dodger pitching coach Mark Pryor. We caught up with Pryor before the game today to talk Robleski, to talk about Otani, and we'll get to your phone calls as well. After the Dodgers go down quietly tonight in Houston two to one to the Astros. On the back to back World champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: On air at AM five to seventy, online at AM five seventy LA sportwards dot com, and available my podcast on the iHeartRadio ass This is Dodger Talk with David.
Speaker 6: Bass In.
Speaker 2: Dodgers fall to the Astros tonight two to one. David Bassey Dodger Talk with you until the top of the hour. We'll get to Mark Pryor here in about five minutes, but I just want to get you an update on keyk Hernandez, who made his first rehab appearance tonight for the Oklahoma City Comments. Keik got the start at third base tonight. He was one for three with a double, so they missed keyk Hernandez as well. He brings a certain spark, to say the least, to the Dodgers, and he's he's a good hitter. I know last year's regular season was not great offensively, but I feel like keyk Hernandez could give this team a spark somehow, some way, in some spot.
Speaker 3: And Bruce Star.
Speaker 2: Gretorol made his second rehab appearance for Oklaho Home a City as well. He did give up a couple of runs in two thirds of an inning, but it was great to see him cover first base and have that Bazuoka quick like catlike quickness for the Bazuka big man to cover first base. So he's on his way back. And brock Stewart probably is going to be activated tomorrow before the game and be available out of the Dodger bullpen. Daniels Jewelers presents the home Run Forecast. For your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jeweler's gift card, Visit a five to seventy la sports dot Com, use the keyword home run and to your name and you could win. Daniels Jewelers Own the Dream. All right, let's go back out to the phones Century City. Ben, you're on Dodger Talk with David Vass.
Speaker 8: Say Hi, Ben, Hey, good evening. I'll keep it quick. Kisung Kim. He's the offensive spark plug. I really like him at the bottom of the order, bringing the speed, bringing the defensive versatility. It's exciting that, you know, to hear Keyks on the horizon. Mokies might be coming back soon. But I'm just really afraid that you know someone who's shown a lot of traumise and the potential to kind of, yeah, shake things up and get some speed on the bases, even if it's not the big home run hitting that he could get sent down back to the miners with all the veterans coming back. So I hope there's a solution to that problem. But I and I know a lot of fans feel the same way. I hope he stays up in the big leagues because I've loved what I've seen from his sophomore year so far.
Speaker 2: All right, Ben, thank you for the phone call. I know many of you are huge Hayes on Kim fans, And look, he brings a certain dimension to the game and plays really good defense. And I know everybody talks about his speed, but I still feel like he could be a better base runner with all that speed. And after watching Santiago Espinal come off the bench a few different times, he's been given spots starts as well, it just doesn't seem like it's it's sticking for Santiago Espinal. So there is a world when Mookie Betts returns that Santiago Espinol is the odd man out. But I do understand even at the beginning of the year, the Dodgers line of thought was you can't have Freeland or Kim just sitting on the bench. They want Kim to play. He needs reps and if he's not going to play every day, it doesn't help him get better by sitting on the bench. Same with Alex Freeland. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Bob and Malibu. Bob, you're on Dodger.
Speaker 4: Talk, Uncle Dave.
Speaker 9: Sorry to hear you're out in the armpit of America, Houston man, But you know, I want to ask you a question about Dave Roberts comments the other day where he was asked whether he thought about the twenty seventeen series with the Astros, and he kind of downplayed it. But I found it funny that in his interview with John Schneider of the Blue Jays, he still managed to get a little shot in there when John brought up George Springer and Doc Robert. It's kind of mentioned that most of Springers highlights probably came from the twenty seventeen season. What's your thoughts about it? Do you think that the Dodgers still kind of keep that in mind when they're playing these series there in Houston.
Speaker 2: Well, there's not too many guys that are still on that team from twenty seventeen. I can't think of one off the top of my head that's still there. Kershaw may have been the last one to be part of that team. And look, I could just tell you this, Bob, the guys that are part of that twenty seventeen Dodger team have not forgotten.
Speaker 3: And it's still a touchy subject. And I could tell you this as well.
Speaker 2: Guys like Andre Ethier and rich Hill never got a chance another chance to win a World Series they were not part of twenty twenty. Chase Utley's last major League game, along with Ethiers, was Game seven of the twenty seventeen World Series. So Chase Utley has a ring with the Phillies. Andre Eathier never won one, and trust me, it burns him. So nobody we'll ever forget about that, especially the veterans that never got another shot to win one.
Speaker 9: Good understood, man, Thanks you. I know a lot of fans feel the same way, and you know, we think about those players who never got the shot. So I found the comments to be a little passive. I'm sure that's just kind of playing nice in the press. But I did enjoy his job at Springer when he was talking with John Schneider there and Jeff Passin's interview between.
Speaker 7: The two coaches.
Speaker 9: So all right, good luck tomorrow, Dave, enjoy your time man.
Speaker 3: Thanks Bob.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the only Dodger that currently is on the active roster technically is key A Hernandez, who's not in Houston with the Dodgers. He's on a rehab assignment. And Max Munsey didn't come to the Dodgers until twenty eighteen. So Keyk's the last active player on the Dodgers that played in the twenty seventeen World Series for them, obviously, there's other guys spread across the league, but for the Dodgers, Key K, who's not there and on the IL, is the only other Dodger that was part of that World Series. Eight six, six, nine, seven, five seventy is the phone number. Mark Pryor was not even part of the Dodgers coaching staff in twenty seventeen, but he's a huge part of it now as the pitching coach. And I had a chance to catch up with prior before today's game. And no, we didn't start with Otani. We actually started with Justin Robleski.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I mean it's it's pretty impressive what he's doing right now, and it's fun to watch. It's it's been fun, I think for the staff and an organization in general, just to kind of see the maturation process of Justin over the years, especially the last you know, two three, two and a half years at the big league level. And you know, we talk about it, you know, clearly, you know, strikeouts are very nice and we all love him because it's a controllable outcome and you know, when you have missed that, that obviously helps, you know, take away anything that might happen. But the you know, we talk about this a lot. We talked about with Gavin Stone as well. It's like outs ultimately or what's trying to get so however you get them, whether they're strikeouts or their ground balls or fly balls like alts matter, and you know what, he's he's been showing up lineups and that was the challenge to him, and I think that's, you know, again, a lot of the credit goes to him and just his ability to you know, his confidence hasn't waivered as much as you know, I know, there's we've talked about what happened at the end of or the beginning of last year in Washington and what he was able to do to remake himself in Oklahoma City, and they come up and be a huge role for us, you know, in the bullpen, and I think they just gave him the confidence of doing it, not just believing it, but actually doing it, having the experience in high leverage situations. And he's just kind of taking it again to this role where he knew he was coming in in an undefined role this year and he's just kind of taken the opportunity and kicked the door down. And but he's been doing it by challenging, like you know, trying not to nibble around. He got a little you know, on the edges a little bit more than he probably would have liked to in the Chicago game in the first couple of innings. But at the heart of it is he's going to attack, and he's going to force action and makes force that team to make some swing decisions, you know, and hopefully the strikeouts will come. But I think teams know that he's going to be on attack, so they don't have a whole lot of time to wait and see what he's going to do. What's working. He knows he's going to throw strikes, and so he's been the beneficiary of a lot of efficient outings and been able to go deep for us when we needed him to go deep given some short starts or our bullpen was you know, taxed at various times. So it's been remarkable. He's been an unbelievable competitor and it's been a lot of fun to watch on the sidelines.
Speaker 2: Is that the biggest thing as far as what you saw at the beginning of the year last season when he came back after making adjustments, the confidence that he exudes not only on the mound but as he's stalking the dugout while the team is is scoring runs for him.
Speaker 5: Absolutely. I mean, I don't think anybody who's been around justin you know, thinks that he lacks his confidence and his abilities to get good guys out. And that's just an it thing that you know, you kind of guys have.
Speaker 6: But I do think.
Speaker 5: At the transition from where he was at the beginning of last year to where he came into the relievers and then now is really understanding his foundation and what he is as a pitcher, And you know, it's it's clearly it's a four seam fastball, slider heavy mix and then use some complimentary pieces at times, I think, you know, at various times he thought, you know, and we thought, okay, well maybe he's got all these weapons. Let's see if we can use them all. And he hadn't quite mastered all of them, and it takes time to be able to master, but you know, we try to really hone in on master these two, you know, really use these as is kind of you know, bread and butter, and then let's as we you know, as his career continues to grow and develop, you know, those other pitches will be refined to where they you know, they might get to that level. So it was really understanding his foundation of what that is. And it's really a big being on the offensive as the pitcher and not trying to sugarcoat anything and just really try to bully guys as best he can.
Speaker 2: Mark Pryor, Dodgers pitching coach, is our guest shoe Hey Otani is on the mound for you tonight. Mark and Dave Roberts said after the game that he decided somewhere towards his third or fourth a bat that he was not going to have him lead off in DH. Were you part of those conversations to make that decision in the dugout? What goes into deciding, you know, what it may be best for him just to pitch tonight.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean, ultimately that's that's Doc's call, and he's got a really good feel for what he's seeing in the moment, you know, and we're all seeing it kind of the dugout. I mean, he you know, he was running the bases, he got on base, he beat out that double play to get that one run, and then he's you know, first to third, first to home. You know, you can just see, you know, the amount of exertion that he was putting in, as well as what he had done in the day already, you know, took IVP or not LIVP, took batting practice on the field early, been through a small bullpen to prepare for today, and then obviously what he did in the game. And so again, I don't think you know, there's a it's not a yes no or a black and white situation. I think you're just kind of reading like, what's you know, what's the workload that he's been putting in? And I think last night and given everything that you bake in from yesterday's pregame and during the game, it just seems to make sense, like, you know, let's focus on the pitching because that's a tax I mean, that's obviously very taxing as it is. So I think it's more about just starts, you know, going to start to start, what has been going on leading up to that that start, and what maybe happened, you know, within the forty eight hours of that start. But again, I think Doc's got a really good feel and a good pulse of where show is physically, and then obviously watching what's going on in the field. I think if you know, he walks four times and it never leaves first base, you know, maybe there's a different decision and he didn't hit yesterday and stuff like that. So I think it's just trying to understand where he's at going into it, and where he's at, you know, right before it, and making sure we're in the best position possible May fifth, as well as October fifth, And I think ultimately that's you know, you're trying to have the short short term goal or the short term view and a long term view.
Speaker 2: Here's the one part that I can't wrap my head around. Thirty one years old. He's the greatest player on the planet, trying to be the best at pitching and hitting like he has been his entire career. But as you know, Mark, as you get over thirty, the recovery time takes a little bit longer and a lot more maintenance. How is he able to do the recovery of making a start going six to seven innings and then you know, having to DH the next day or maybe even two days later. Is that something we failed to appreciate.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean there's always like a recovery aspect that. As much as we've advanced in that, I don't know if there's a true appreciation for each individual. Some thirty one year olds I feel like they're twenty five, and some feel like they're forty five. You know. I think one thing he's really a master at is you know, what everybody's always given advice about is, you know, get a lot of sleep, you know, And so I do know he values that and that's where you do recover. It's not always just like what you do. It's about allowing your body to actually recover, and that's that's probably sleeping and so you know, I think that's where he does He's very disciplined on that aspect of it. But as far as everything else, again, I think it's just you know, he's he's done it before, and I think he's learning how to do it at a thirty one year olds, which again it is different than being in the mid twenties. But he does take care of himself extremely well. And you know, again we do our best to have an understanding of where he's at physically, and I think that's why you're seeing days like this where he's taking you know, half the game off and to let him do what he's been doing on the mountain, which is has been pretty remarkable on its own, and that gets kind of lost in it because everybody wants to see the offensive side. But you know, obviously pitching, he's been a huge part of what we've done so far this year.
Speaker 2: Mark, Before I let you go, one last question show him has been so good as a starting pitcher this year. Is there one pitch that impresses you the most out of his entire repertoire.
Speaker 3: Is it the sweeper?
Speaker 2: Is it the way he's adjusted his split fingered fastball? What's impressed you the most. As far as one singular pitch that he's thrown, I don't.
Speaker 5: Think it's an actual pitch because I think at various times they're all you know, plus plus and you know it, you know, and he has a pretty good feel of what he wants to use. I think what's been really impressive is and when he's gotten into somebody's given him a you know, a pretty good battle, and his ability to adjust kind of his delivery. He you know, he messes with their timing and the little hesitation in the middle of the delivery, or he does some quick steps. It's you know, it's kind of that second third layer of the game that you know sometimes and for the majority of guys don't need or don't use. I shouldn't say they don't need it, they just don't use. But his ability to kind of tinker a little bit of just kind of pause a little bit mid delivery, mess up the hitters timing and here comes ninety you know, upper nineties, one hundred mine hour fastball, or here comes you know, a sixty nine mile hour curveball. You know. So I think that's been a pretty impressive thing is just playing the game as it's as it's unfolding, and we try to talk about don't go in there with such predetermined you know, concepts like listen to like watch the game, read the games. What the game is telling you is what the game needs. And I think that he's really good at that, you know, right now on the mound, is being able to make those adjustments. Those have been pretty impressive, if not comical at times, just because you don't see it very you know, very often. And when he busted it out the other day, I think there was two stars ago, you're just like wow, Like it's just kind of like another It's a high level, high IQ move by him, and you know he gets some punch outs doing it or some ground balls and gets out of situations.
Speaker 2: So you're saying he reads swings as the game is going on. I always heard Khrushaw say that all the time, that he's reading the swings and that will tell you what direction to go in.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think he's reading swings the ruction direction of pitches. But I think when he gets in these battles, it's and he understands the timing as a hitter more so than any other pitcher you know who's playing right now for obvious reasons. He understands the timing component of it and if he can mess with it, if he can gain that edge, he's going to do it. And again, I think it's just it's a high IQ mute move and it's fun to see and we talk about it with other guys and you see other guys do it. But to be able to do it as well as pitch and hit and do all those things, you know, it's it's pretty impressive.
Speaker 2: Well show, Hey, Otani's workload is definitely the biggest of any player, But I don't know any other coach that has more on his plate than Connor McGinnis and Mark Pryor with all these great pitchers that they have on their staff, trying to help them maximize the best they can be. So Mark, thank you so much for the time. I know your day is very limited, so we appreciate you joining us.
Speaker 5: All appreciate it. Thanks David.
Speaker 3: There is Mark Pryor.
Speaker 2: He was kind enough to take out a lot of his time earlier today to join us on the pregame show, and I thought, after the way Otani pitched tonight, it was worth sharing that again and the first time We've heard from Mark Pryor on the show about Justin Robleski and how he's gone about it a very different way than Otani to be able to pitch as effectively as he has been. In Robleski's last start, no strikeouts and six scoreless innings. The last time a Dodger pitcher did that Mike Morgan in nineteen ninety one. Tonight, Show, Hey Otani, eight strikeouts, seven innings, he allows just two solo home runs, and the Dodgers fall to the Astros two to one. How about this? In Otani's last nine games pitching, He's throwing fifty one and two thirds innings. He has an ERA of zero seventy. The Dodgers record, though, is two and seven after tonight. He can't make this stuff up. That's why baseball is the best sport.
Speaker 3: Out there, all right.
Speaker 2: Tomorrow, Tyler Glass now will be on the moundies three and oh with an ERA.
Speaker 3: Of two fifty six.
Speaker 2: He's going up against Lance mccullors Junior, who has an ERA of six point thirty two this year and a record of two and two. Our coverage begins with Tim Kaits at ten am. First pitch from Houston, with Rick Monday and Tim Neverett at eleven ten tomorrow morning.
Speaker 3: We'll give away a.
Speaker 2: Pair of those tickets to the Will Smith Comedy Show after the game tomorrow. And we can't wait to see you at Downy Hunday on Thursday at four clock with Alex Vesia seventy five point fifty Firestone Boulevard Downy Hyundai. We'll be out there. It'll be a party. You don't want to miss it from four to five o'clock. Thanks to Zachelcaldy here in our Burbank studios, Thanks to Dwayne McDonald in Houston, and thanks to you for listening. In case you missed any of the show, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app once again. The final score tonight in Houston, the Astros silenced the Dodgers two to one. Have a great rest of your night. Fox Sports Radio is next see you.
Speaker 3: Shouldn't I be.
Speaker 1: Trusted when it comes to the Dodgers. LA's trusted source is their official Hope
Speaker 3: AM five seventy LA Sports