Speaker 1: You're listening to Bill Handle on demand from KFI AM six forty and am I leaving money to charity? Dad? You're not a big fan of charities, are you? Are you? Is that stick? Or you really don't like charities? You know, I'm not a big fan of charities. I mean, you know, kids don't eat and I'm okay with that. You know, there are families who live in tents. Okay, I understand that there's some very nice tents out there. And now Handle on the news, ladies and gentlemen. Here's Bill Handle. Good morning everybody. It is now a Wednesday, Hoday, Wednesday, October twenty two, and today we have a modified show. What that mean that some people are here, some people are gone, some people are not gone and are here. Very good handle. First of all, Cono, good morning, good morning. Cono's here as usual, Amy, Hi, Bill, Hi, as usual. Amy's here, Will good morning, Good morning, Bill, La Dodgers Garb this morning, of course, of course. Okay, now that is the end of the regular crowd. Now we have, as I said, a modified crowd. No, let's go back to Neil. Neil good morning. Neil has lost his voice. Neil is going to be. He's actually practicing for a school play for his son and he's going to be Helen Keller. So Neil once again, good morning. I'm fine, thank you, Neil. Yeah, not bad. Another show today, Yeah, pretty good, Okay, excellent, and Neil, we're going to continue on. Michelle is in for and today. Good morning, Good morning Michelle, Michelle the cube me sir, who actually is the executive producer of this radio station. Yes, I am, and tells everybody what to do, and no one pays attention. That's true, That's absolutely true. And Michelle doesn't pay attention to anybody above her either, because they don't pay attention to anybody above them. It's a very neat way to run a radio station. I must tell you. There have been recent changes that have happened. If you haven't read them, read it in the media. iHeart, as well as many other radio stations have gone through a big transformation. The first one being is no one pays attention to anyone. That is. That's a good thing. That's a good thing. The rest of it about the same. You know what they're trying to do. I mean, as you know, the history of iHeart is people start at minimum wage, and basically stay at minimum wage. They're working as hard as they can to lower minimum wage in the state of California in terms of media outlets, and they're well on their way to doing that. All right, fair enough, we have everything here. Are we going to move on? We are? Oh, before we do that, Dodgers real quickly, I go to Amy about the Dodgers. Will, just because you dressed like a Dodger, doesn't mean you are a Dodger. It's my team. It's your team. It's not it's not your team. See Will. You don't own the team. Uh, it's it's yeah, No it is. I think it's magic Johnson owns part of the team. Is that true? Part of the Google Hunt group? And so he can say it's my team. Now when it's your team, you don't play. You don't pay for tickets because it's your team. It's like eating at your restaurant. You don't buy your you don't pay for your food. Everybody else walks in the door. Oh, this is my restaurant, Yes it is. Here's the check. Same thing with Amy. It is hurt team. So Amy, first day of the World Series, first game is Friday. Friday? All right, Oh, wait, I just read the Dodgers heavily favored to win.
Speaker 2: Yes, but I wouldn't count the Blue Jays.
Speaker 3: The Blue Jays are a good team, so I'm hoping it's going to be a great series.
Speaker 2: But of course that the Dodgers come out on top.
Speaker 1: Of the interestings it gives you have Dodger blue and you have Blue Jays. Can you conflate the two? Are they different shades of blue?
Speaker 2: I believe that. Well, you know, if you.
Speaker 3: Look at the head of the blue Jay that they have like a patch of it, they're pretty close. But I think Dodgers Dodgers is better. It's more royal blue.
Speaker 1: Of course, of course. Okay, guys, you're ready to do it. It's time for a handle on the news with Amy Neil as Helen Keller this morning and me lead. Sorry, Well, another assault or another arrest a purported illegal immigrant, and this is a weird one is here in southern California, a deputy US Marshall was wounded by a ricochet bullet. In addition to the suspect being shot, he was wanted for illegal entry, and during the chase and during the attempted arrest, he allegedly tried to ram his car into a bunch of cars, or at least into an ice vehicle, and he was shot. He was shot and the bullet ricochet. That's unusual, and in any case, he was arrested. And of course that was I had to do with that pit maneuver. It was a few days ago. Remember, if I'm not mistaken, Amy, correct me if I'm wrong, it was that car that was involved in the pit maneuver, and or am I wrong on that?
Speaker 2: This one is different?
Speaker 1: Okay, then it's different, Then I'm wrong, right.
Speaker 3: This one happened yesterday. There was the gentleman who is going to be in court today. Apparently is an illegal immigrant, and he is also a TikTok guy, and he says he goes out in videotapes like fire response and police response and that kind of stuff, and apparently was trying to get away during an immigration enforcement action and tried to ram a couple of cars. That's why he was shot, and then the bullet ricochet and hit the the deity.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you a question. Let me ask you a question in terms of how bright this guy is. If someone if you are an illegal immigrant, why would you ever show up at a raid.
Speaker 2: That's a good question.
Speaker 1: I mean, come on, guys, you know at some point you say, all right, maybe this one I'll leave alone. That's like arson is showing up at fires and they do you know, they just want to see the fire, you know, going. And we've read about that all the time. How many people want to see themselves arrested for illegal immigration and then want to see themselves deported. That's an interesting view, isn't it? All right? Moving on?
Speaker 2: Twelve times? The charm doubtful?
Speaker 3: The government shutdown is into day number twenty two, so we're entering the fourth week and lawmakers have voted eleven times against passing this short term spending bill, and another vote is scheduled in the Senate today.
Speaker 2: It's the same bill.
Speaker 3: They're voting on the same thing, and the same people are voting yes and no, the same.
Speaker 1: Yep, it's not going to move. And well, real quickly, what part of the federal government is shut down? What's not shut down? So security, Medicare Medica is still being paid, the Army, Armed Force is still being paid, even though I was supposed to be paid under the law, but had said is moving money around? Does male get delivered. It actually does. Airports TSA should be working there, but except that.
Speaker 3: We were talking to Rory O'Neill during wake up call and he said that over the weekend, nineteen thousand flights were delayed. Yeah, because of the shortages, even though air traffic controllers are supposed to be on the job. Apparently there's a lot of sick call.
Speaker 1: Yes, strangely enough a lot have called in six So that's fun and food Aid does it continue? The SNAP and WICK program that's women, infants and children program, the Wick for food and the SNAP program food stamps that continues. On Homeland Security immigration border officials obviously that's continually on. I don't know if they get paid or not, but Homeland Security five percent have been furloughed. I mean, just goes on and on. Now. I just a quick story. On Sunday was the gala for Katarina's Club and Chef Bruno caters that as he does every year from Anaheim White House, best restauran out there. And so it was at the Nixon Library and they had arranged for an hour before the gala to go into open up the Nixon Library, which I have never been inside, which is kind of bizarre, because I understand it's some great museum, so I went there. There it was on the door, shut down due to the lack of money due to the government shutdown because it's run by I guess the Federal Parks Department. So no fun there, No joy, I want to take a break. Yeah, then we all get real quickly. Airports, air traffic controller. We did that. We did that, We did that. Okay, we did that.
Speaker 2: Okay, nothing to talk about here.
Speaker 3: President Trump said after meeting on the phone with Russia's president flat To Putin last week, that hey, we're going to sit down and have a summit in Budapest, Hungary.
Speaker 2: It's coming up, but now it's off.
Speaker 3: Secretary of State Marco Rubio and the Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov apparently had what is being called a productive call by the White House. But then after that call, the White House said, we don't need to talk anymore, and so.
Speaker 1: Now it's off. But it was as Putin's as Kremlin said, how could it be off if it was never on? And so it was never there. And the President has sort of a way of doing this. You know, let's get together. We've agreed to and Putin through Lavrov said no, no, we haven't agreed to do this. And the way it's being spun is Lavrov and Marco Rubio already had the meeting that was quote productive, it's always productive. He ever noticed that frank and productive, And I've never understood that other than nothing was done. So anyway, there is no meeting, it will not happen. Putin has not moved one ioda off of his position, as Zelensky hasn't either. I mean they're at the same impact they have been. Ooh, all right, Amy.
Speaker 3: Big bucks to see the boys in Blue and the Blue Jays play. So the game Game one of the World Series is Friday. It's in Toronto because the Blue Jays had by one game, they had a better record than the Dodgers, but that's enough, so they have home field advantage. So travel experts are saying, if you're gonna go, get ready to pay for it, because search for a round trip tickets from Lax to Toronto starting at twelve hundred dollars.
Speaker 4: Let me ask you go go go ahead, I'm sorry, Oh no, that's fine, And just saying the least expensive seat in the stadium in Toronto is more than nine hundred dollars, and of course that's the least expensive seat.
Speaker 3: So it's the nosebleeds are the ones out, way way way back out, So it's to add up.
Speaker 1: Hey, the uh, these are the official Dodger ticket prices, right, this is the ones that you get from the Dodgers, because I'm assuming the scalpers tickets are insane.
Speaker 3: Well, everything's on resale now. So, like I was just looking at Ticketmaster for the Dodgers tickets. You know, they said that they're starting at eight hundred dollars, but the you know, if you want good seats, it's going to cost you. And like so behind home base twenty one thousand dollars. If you want to be over the third base, dugout ten thousand dollars. If you're a little higher up fifty seven hundred dollars. And this is all per.
Speaker 1: Ticket, okay, So these are tickets that have that people have already had tickets. These are season ticket holder I'm assuming that they get first to pop at it at the official price of let's say, what twelve hundred dollars or fifteen hundred dollars, and they sell them for six thousand, eight thousand, dollars. In other words, the ticket. You can't get a general admission ticket from the from the Dodgers.
Speaker 3: No, no, not now. And if you want a ticket, I don't know. I don't know, but I know that the cheapest seats are going for just over eight hundred, Hi, Dodger.
Speaker 1: How did you get your tickets? And you got them at a reasonable price. Is there a season ticket holder situation going on in your life?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Okay, yes, and you share it with other people.
Speaker 2: We have a group of people who share the season tickets, yes.
Speaker 1: And who decides what? Where? When? Is it? Oh?
Speaker 3: I do a whole big draft and lottery and yeah, my friend takes care of all that and it's a pain in the butt. But you know what, we get to go to some great games.
Speaker 1: So you got it.
Speaker 3: And literally for the for the playoff tickets, we have hats and we've draw a name and then which game it is and match it up. And so another group member got the World Series tickets for this one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right.
Speaker 3: High times for the Dow. Speaking of big money, the Dow Jones industrial average hit a record yesterday. Is the floodgates open for companies reporting how much profit they made? During the summer, the Dow was two hundred and eighteen points, topping it's prior all time high. It's now trading above forty seven thousand, so it's flat right now, but trading really high. And part of the thing is that they had several groups having really great earnings, including the Warner Brothers Discovery. Their stock was up eleven percent after the company said it's now looking at other options besides it's previously announced split of Discovery Global off Warner Brothers could be more profitable for shareholders.
Speaker 1: I believe that the reason they're making so much money is they're doing a lot more with a lot less layoffs across the board. AI coming in and helping them out in many ways. So what you're going to see is the various companies corporations making a ton of money and unemployment I believe going through the roof because it's just more efficient. So it's usually it's not quite that this formula. But we're a new new world. I think we have time for one more.
Speaker 2: Okay, break, see something, say something. It works.
Speaker 3: So there was a guy who apparently wanted to carry out a mass shooting at the Hartsfield Jackson Atlanta International Airport. This was on Monday, but police are saying his family was key to the capture because the guy had posted on social media he'd made some threats and police were called. The guy's name is Billy Joe Cagele, and his family said, we're worried about him. We think that he might be up to something. And police were there in fifteen minutes and arrested him inside the terminal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and see the video of him appearing to case the place, looking around and being right near to a checkpoint. And they tackled him and arrested him. Went to his car which was waiting outside, and he had parked the car at the loading zone where I guess you hear loading and unloy loading and unloading. Only try doing that at LAX and leave a car that's with no one in it and inside the car at an ar fifteen Yeah, with you know, it's interesting and making a fairly big deal about twenty seven rounds of ammunition? Who only has twenty seven out rounds of ammunition if they're going to shoot something up? Let's find that a little strange. I do not that it didn't happen, but I just find that somewhat of an anomaly. But the good news is the family was able to figure this out early and it was averted because with twenty seven rounds of ammunition being shot into a crowded checkpoint, a lot of people are going to get hurt and a fair amount are going to die.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, not all women are happy about this woman's rise. Lawmakers in Japan have elected a hardline conservative, Senai Takeichi. I'm sure if I'm saying that right as Prime minister. It makes her the first woman in modern times to lead Japan. To Keachi says her hero is former British Conservative leader Margaret Thatcher. She's appointed two other women to her cabinet, the same as the previous government, but some critics say this is going to put her coalition even further to the right. One person, professor of Asian studies at Temple University's Japan campus, said that one would like to say this is an historic moment for Japan, but it's really hard to make that case given her rather poor track record on empowering women.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I just doesn't like women very much. Matter of fact, feels that women should be in the kitchen having babies.
Speaker 2: I don't think. I don't think that's right.
Speaker 1: Huh. She's pretty right wing out there, Okay, moving on.
Speaker 3: Malibu is making moves to clear out homeless camps in the name of wildfire prevention.
Speaker 2: The city council declared a local.
Speaker 3: Emergency after fuel moisture levels and the Santa Monica Mountains fell below sixty five percent. So they said that by declaring that emergency, they can clear homeless camps in high fire hazard zones and only have to give one day notice instead of the normal two days, and if the homeless people refuse to leave, they can arrest them.
Speaker 1: Now, imagine you're on the beach. Are you set up a tent along Pacific Coast Highway on the western edge, right next to the ocean. There's your tent with a million dollar view of the ocean. Houses used to cost fourteen, fifteen to twenty million dollars along that beach. It reminds me of the favelas, the slums of Rio. If you look at any picture going up the mountain facing Sugar Loaf, are the slums having the most spectacular views in the world. You know, sometimes you just wonder what's happening. Can you imagine if you bought a tent along the ocean, what they would charge you? What a premium? What a premium? Or you had a tent and you sublet it. Boy, there's some money. You can make a lot of money doing that.
Speaker 2: Turkey dinner.
Speaker 3: How much is it going to cost you? Well, if you get it at Walmart, it's just forty bucks. Walmart has announced it's twenty twenty five Thanksgiving Meal basket. You can buy it on site or online, and the retailer says it's the lowest price offered since it started offering the meal basket in twenty twenty two. Forty bucks for twenty items turkey, potatoes, stuffing, fried fried onions, pie crust, and box macaroni and cheese.
Speaker 1: Under four dollars of person for a full Thanksgiving meal.
Speaker 2: Well sort of Thanksgiving in a box.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but still it's a Thanksgiving meal. I mean, it is something that people who don't have the wherewithal. But if you look at the disclaimers, one of the things is it's a used turkey, so there's there's some issues there. People. Yeah, that's great, It is great.
Speaker 3: The mac and cheese recipe that I got from Neil that I have made several times.
Speaker 2: That is delicious.
Speaker 3: It costs more than that whole meal, seriously, because it's all these specialty cheeses.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but Neil is so bougie. You know, he pretends he's a man of the people. But who are who are we kidding? Huh?
Speaker 3: Miami another case of life imitating art. It's kind of like a real life RoboCop. It's called PUG. It's an autonomous police car. PUG stands for Police Unmanned Ground Vehicle. The Miami Dade Sheriff's Office unveiled PUG as the first autonomous police patrol car in the country. It has three hundred and sixty degree cameras, drone launching capabilities, license plate readers, thermal imaging, and of course AI.
Speaker 2: Officials say for the.
Speaker 3: First year, a human deputy will be sitting inside the car just to make sure it doesn't go all Christine on anybody.
Speaker 1: Hey, why if you have a robotic car, why would it have room for someone in it to drive it or oversee it. You would think it would be the size like every other drone of or every other autonomous vehicle, really doesn't have room for a driver. Well that's not Yes, that's true. Unless it's a passenger vehicle. So I don't quite get this. Maybe it's small. Have you seen those robots that go round downtown and deliver the pizzas?
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 1: They're kind of neat with a little flag and I just love those.
Speaker 3: Have you seen the video of the one that basically blocked a person in a wheelchair.
Speaker 2: It's kind of gone viral, you can say, or two huh.
Speaker 1: And there is described as a large, expensive dystopian roomba. I have one of those at home.
Speaker 2: He just sweeps up the bad guys.
Speaker 1: Yeahut them in the back. Yeah. Well, this one delivers pizza with a lot of dust on it and it's not quite what we want. But still we're moving. We're moving. I head balls to the wall with this, the robotics, robotics of course, robots having no balls.
Speaker 3: The Louver is once again open for viewing spectacular rare items, except for the French ground jewels because they're missing. The Louver has reopened three days after the big jewelry heist. Long lines waited to get in beneath the landmark Paris glass pyramid.
Speaker 2: I think that place is so cool.
Speaker 3: Eight pieces from France Crown France's crown jewels were taken worth like one hundred million dollars. The Sunday morning heist happened just two hundred and seventy yards away from the Mona Lisa, basically down the hall from it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, first of all, who steals the Mona Lisa with these jewels? You can take the brooches and the necklaces, the bracelets apart and just sell the stones, which they think is going to happen, because you can't sell the piece itself unless you have some buddy very very wealthy and puts in a safe deposit box just to own them. It's tougher to do with the Mona Lisa, sell parts and bits of it on the open market or even the clothes market. But would you talk about have you seen the intricacy of that attack, and well how simple it was. All they did is take a cherry picker, one of those construction cranes, not to kind of lift things up, but I'm talking about those that lift a person up and moved it up to a window, crashed through the window, went inside, and in three minutes do exactly where they're going, smashed the glass and took them and then we're gone down. I think it was down ladder and then buzzed away on motorcycles. Pretty sophisticated stuff, except I heard an expert in crying and criminologists said, you know what, they dropped something. They dropped one of the approaches or a crown.
Speaker 2: It was one of the crowns.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and so that's that tells you something. And they left so much DNA on everything that you guessed that they didn't even use gloves.
Speaker 2: And it happened while it was open.
Speaker 3: They have video from somebody who was in the museum at the time, videotaping the guy as he's smashing into the one of the display cases.
Speaker 1: And they have guards there. They have guards, but have you ever been to the Louver or any major museum. The guards sitting there and are in a corner on a chair. There's not a lot of the folding chair. Now they're asleep. They're asleep because guards not only are issued uniforms, are also issued ambient pills.
Speaker 3: A big beautiful ballroom is drawing big beautiful backlash. So President Trump has begun construction of the new ballroom that's going to be on the east wing of the White House and architecture groups are raising concerns. The Society of Architectural Historians has urged a significant change to a historic building of this import should follow a rigorous, deliberate design and review process. It's raising questions about whether the administration is following the traditional approval process for building on the White House grounds. The Trump administration has brushed off the criticism and says, in the latest instance of manufactured outrage, unhinged leftist in their fake news allies are clutching their pearls over President Trump's visionary edition of a grand, privately funded ballroom for the White House.
Speaker 1: I find this troubling. I mean, it's the president. Just why do I find it troubling? Because there was no input and they're saying there should be, and I tend to agree you should go through an architectural committee because of the history of the White House and what would look good and as Trump just arbitrarily saying this is where I'm going to put it, this is how big it's going to be, Like he paved over the Rose Garden with concrete and now it's just basically where you can skateboard. And that's because the Trump said, Okay, we're going to pave that, we're going to build this, this is the way it's going to look, and this is going to be attached to the White House. Well actually originally it wasn't going to be attached now it is, so you know, I do not like the arbitrarianess of it. And then if anybody says, well, we should go through an architectural committee and at least look at the historical aspects of this. You're a left wing just out of control? What is it? What did you say? Exactly? Left wing? Well, the normal language which I can't see.
Speaker 3: The manufactured high ridge of unhinged leftists.
Speaker 1: And news allies.
Speaker 2: But why are you surprised? This is how Trump operates. He likes to know enough an he wants to do it.
Speaker 1: Now, I'm not surprised. All I'm all I'm commenting is I would rather have a norm. Doesn't it make sense if you're going to change the White House, which is iconic, beyond iconic, and that you would figure there should be some input from historians architect There are historical architects. Now, to his point, hey, Truman redid it, Teddy Roosevelt redid it. But I don't think even though we're architectural historian organizations, that's all. I just don't like the arbitrariness of it.
Speaker 3: Musicals could be missing a key component very quickly, the music. The Broadway Musicians Union Local aight oh two is set a deadline to strike if they don't get a new contract. The union has given the Broadway League until the morning of October twenty third, that's tomorrow, before they say an immediate strike will be called. They want increased wages, increased healthcare contributions, and employment and income security.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, I mean that's a problem for those of us at musicals. And where do these male dancers go. There are only so many position in flower shops out there that you can go to. Why, okay, we're done. You've been listening to The Bill Handle Show. Catch My Show Monday through Friday six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.