Speaker 1: And an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talk. It's time for our Managers Meeting, brought to you by Downey Hyundai. We're in the manager's office with Dave Roberts on Otani Day. Dave, thanks a lot for the time and great to be in the desert with you.
Speaker 2: Great to be with you, Dave.
Speaker 3: You know, as we're sitting here in my office getting ready for this game, it was nice to get a win last night. How we got the win, so now we have a chance to go up to one of the series. And as you said, it is O tawny day. He's going to be pitching and hitting today, so it should be a good one.
Speaker 1: Does it feel different on the days that he's doing this two way thing, because I don't know, there seems to be a little heightened level around the clubhouse, around the stadium whenever he's doing this.
Speaker 3: There is I think that you know, with certain pitchers on their start day. I think there's that extra kind of buzz in the air in the locker room, and you have that with show hey and even just watching them, you know, walk past my office or earlier. There's a different kind of focus on days that he's pitching and you know that heightened sense of intensity.
Speaker 1: Joey Vado said recently that we may be witnessing the single greatest seasoned by any player in baseball history. Is it hard to even wrap your head around that when you're in it every day?
Speaker 3: It is, But I think that I think the people here appreciate, you know, because you see it every day in one sense. In another sense that you appreciate all that goes into his preparation and the expectations and the mental, the physical and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: The emotions. But I agree with Joey.
Speaker 3: I just think that, you know, we get so caught up and he should have a twelve hundred ops and he's not hitting fifty homers, but not appreciating what he's doing on the pitching side, and it's just something that we haven't seen ever to this caliber, and I don't think we ever will.
Speaker 1: In all of his starts except one, he's touched the sixth inning, what more can he do as a pitcher to allow himself to have greater results?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, if you just kind of separate the pitching part of it, I think it's just speaks to the command I think that the pitch efficiency his last few haven't been great per his standards, and so if he can do that, then it's the six seven innings, eight innings, things like that. But I think the last few starts he's been fighting himself his delivery and then you know, just hasn't had that command.
Speaker 1: I remember both you and Showhay said after his start in San Diego, he was fighting himself, but there was something a little bit more, maybe the body wasn't responding. Is that what you were alluding to. I don't want to put words in your mouth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a little bit of it.
Speaker 3: And I think that's kind of a Joe Evado's point in the sense of you're an everyday hitter and you're swinging the bat, you run the bases, and you're obviously been productive really a lot recently, and so then now you've got to turn into the picture and your body's got to be because as a picture, all you do all week is kind of get your body in tune with being a picture. So it's it's two different movements for the picture of the hitter, and so it is a little bit tougher to kind of, you know, get it is easier to get out of whack, and so those are things that he's been fighting. But even when he is fighting himself, he still go good enough to go, you know, five innings scoreless.
Speaker 1: Maybe you can answer this question, why do we see more emotion from Otani on the mound than you usually see from Otani as the hitter.
Speaker 3: I think, just to put it, I think in simple terms, I think because as a picture, you are the protagonist, you're the instigator, you're the you know, you're the aggressor, and so I think with that you can control your pitch making. And I think with the hitting, you're on the defensive and you got to react, and so you're really reacting to what the picture does. And when he makes a good picture, it's really not a whole lot you can do. So I think for me, because he's in control of the pitching, he has higher expectations for himself.
Speaker 1: Does he have an edge as a hitter and as a pitcher because he does both as far as the chest match of what a pitcher may be trying to do to him and what he's trying to do to a certain hitter.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't say edge. He certainly has it with the pitching. I do think that in the last couple of weeks he's had a different look of intensity at the plate. You know, in the postseason, certainly when he got hit, you know, in that Padre series, there was an edge to it. But I do like, you know, that that focus, that extra intensity that I've seen from him recently.
Speaker 1: In the box, does he have an advantage?
Speaker 3: He does when when he when he's got that look, he's got that advantage. And I think also when Mooki has that same look, he has an advantage. That We're trying to find that look again with Mooki and hopefully, you know, the coming days, we'll get that look back.
Speaker 1: Dave Roberts is our our guest the Manager's Meeting, presented by Downey Hyundai. Dave, you seem to predetermine when Otani will hit and pitch and maybe even the day after. Have you decided about tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's not going to hit tomorrow, so tomorrow will be a r in our recovery day. But he'll be ready to come off the bench if we need it.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: As a manager, I find it sometimes beneficial to get ahead of it, to let you know. In this case, let show hey empty the take on the pitching the hitting side, to know that tomorrow he's going to be down and so not kind of play to any type of results. And I think sometimes as a player, as a former player, it was freeing to know kind of what's to come in the coming days. And I think that that's a good thing.
Speaker 1: Does it also help you no matter what takes place. He could hit for the cycle tonight and you know, go eight innings, but helps you not to be tempted to say, Okay, tomorrow you're.
Speaker 2: Going to hit Yeah.
Speaker 3: And you know, the thing is that that game is a dangerous game to play because then it doesn't speak to process, and there's also a little bait and switch from the player. And you could also argue that he hit for the cycle because he was freed up knowing he can empty the tank. So those are things that for me, I have a clear kind of idea and what I do, and you've got to be willing to, you know, stay with that process and that decision making consistently.
Speaker 1: Speaking of the process, you had a process as a player. You hear your players talk about loving the process. As a manager, now do you still love the process? How much do you love the process of being the manager of the back to back world champion Dodgers and being a huge part of the process to help them win.
Speaker 2: I do. I love it. Don't take it for granted.
Speaker 3: I think in that vein, you know, just making sure that I, for example, keep Will Smith rested to kind of involve Dalton rushing, which we've done. We talked about that earlier, you know, in the spring, you know, assimilating you know, Alex Freeland or hay Song, Kim Moore and using migey Ro as a mentor and giving him spot starts, which we've done. And you know, one of these next couple of days, I'm gonna give Andy a day off, you know, four days on the turf, and I want him to play.
Speaker 2: He wants to play.
Speaker 3: But I think that getting Alex call in there, which we've done, keeping him relevant to allow him. So those are things that you know, we do. And there's gonna be some pitchers tonight in the bullpen that are going to be down today. Could they pitch, Absolutely, But I think that it gives other guys an opportunity. So that's part of the process that I think that we're really good about.
Speaker 1: Dave Roberts is the best at it, no doubt. Without him, the Dodgers would not have the type of success that they have enjoyed since he took over highest winning percentage in modern baseball history, three World Championships, and the ball just keeps going another day for Dave Roberts and his process. Thanks a lot for the time and the insight, and we look forward to a big o' tawny day.
Speaker 2: Appreciate you, Dave. Here we go