Speaker 1: This is off season Dodger Talk Winter Meetings edit.
Speaker 2: Yar now everyone's favorite Dodger insight, David Basse.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Dodger Talk. David Basse with you until eight o'clock tonight here on AM five to seventy LA Sports. Can't wait to talk Dodger baseball again with you. We are going to be with you four times this week tonight, Tomorrow, Wednesday, and then again on Friday. We are your home for the NFL, so we do have Thursday Night football, so four times this week during the week of the Winter Meetings taking place in Orlando. We do have a very special guest. It's like having him in studio, but via you know, video conferencing, and that is the great actor and longtime Dodger fan born and raised in LA saw games in the coliseum, Brian Cranston is going to join us us. I had a chance to catch up with him because he's in London, England right now being the lead actor in a great play All My Sons. So we recorded a very lengthy interview earlier today that you will hear coming up in our next segment and also you will be able to see on AM five to seventy LA sports social media pages, Instagram, X, all that stuff. So, Brian Cranston is going to join us to talk Dodger baseball coming up in our next segment, and I'm not sure we're gonna have a lot of time for phone calls tonight, but we certainly will again tomorrow night at seven o'clock. And our guest tomorrow night is the man that I believe is going to be the breakout pitcher for the Dodgers this season, River Ryan. He is going to join us tomorrow night and we are going to have more time for your phone calls. It's been a great month since the parade. I have I've received all of your messages on social media. Thank you so much for the love. I did not record a single out, I did not drive in a single run. I was just there to bring it to life for you, and I really appreciate being part of the run, being part of the parade. It was awesome back to back seasons. None of us could ever dream of that, and it certainly was a great ride. And Miguel Rojas is coming back next year. I feel like Will Smith is not getting enough shine for doing what he did during the World series, but that's for another show later this week. I had a great weekend. Got to see Tommy Edman at One Way Memorabilia Shop in Monterey Park on Saturday. Brought my little son Joseph to meet Tommy Edman. He was nervous and Tommy's a great guy. But Tommy Edman had surgery on his right ankle and he was in a heavy boot on Saturday. If you saw him out there at one Way Honore Park. Thanks to my guy Jake Delance for hooking it all up. But I had a chance to talk to Tommy. He's in a boot for another three weeks, which makes me believe that he probably is going to be a little bit behind other players when spring training starts in Glendale, Arizona after the Super Bowl. But he's in great spirits. He was on a scooter if you were out there, so he can't put a lot of weight on it. He's going to be taking that boot off, he told me, in three weeks and then and then he'll be able to put some weight on that right leg. Also, yesterday had a chance to go out to Jackie Robinson Stadium at UCLA. There is a high school showcase. My cousin, Mike, his son was out there doing his thing, so had a chance to go say hi to coach John Savage, who, in my opinion, is the best college baseball coach in the country a major league team. If you're hiring college coaches, John Savage might be a really good pitching coach one day, or a manager. He's done incredible things with UCLA Baseball. Had a chance to say hello to one of his coaches, who coincidentally is Austin Barnes's brother, Griffin Barnes out there at UCLA. So it was a great weekend. From Monterey Park to Jackie Robinson Stadium and look, the Winter meetings are going on. Maybe the biggest news today is that Dave Roberts said that ta Oscar Hernandez is his right fielder for now. I heard Brandon Gome say as well that Taioscar Hernandez is going to be a Dodger next year, and he said he can't imagine a scenario where he's not, which is interesting. I believe the Dodgers were fielding calls for Taoscar Hernandez. Maybe that tells me they can't find a match right now. But the Dodgers are not going to shop ta Oscar Hernandez all winter. I believe if they can't trade him by Christmas, ta Oscar Hernandez is going to be a Dodger and I'm not sure. If you caught this on Instagram, you can get a lot of information about players off seasons. Taoscar Hernandez was participating in some sort of celebrities softball game over the weekend. A lot of Dominican players were out there, and Julio Rodriguez of the Mariners posted a few photos of Tioscar Hernandez, who did shave his beard. Trimmed his beard, no doubt, but it looks like he lost at least fifteen pounds, which tells me he's trying to evolve with father time to be more mobile in the outfield. So don't sleep on Taoscar Hernandez. What I can tell you about some of the rumors, and we can get into that more as the week goes along. The Dodgers did have interest in Devin Williams and Raceal and Glacias, and Glacias opted to go back to the Braves. Devin Williams opted to sign with the Mets. Robert swar to me is one of the more interesting names out there that I'm sure the Dodgers are kicking the tires on. Thirty four year old, hard throwing right hander. We know him well free agent now, Padres are not bringing him back. If he's willing to take a one year contract with the Dodgers, I could see that being a match Kennelly Jansen. I wouldn't rule that out either. He's obviously shown he would take a one year contract with the Angels. Why wouldn't he do it with the Dodgers. So two veterans that I think you should keep your eyes on. I would say Kennelly's more of a long shot. I'm not a big believer in going back to where you were before, like going back to your old girlfriend or reuniting with your ex wife. But look, Kenley would love to be a Dodger again. There's no secrets about that. If the fit's right, he's gonna come back. But I don't know the level of interest from the Dodgers' side. I'm sure they're going to talk to his agents during this winter meetings. As far as what may transpire, from what I'm being told, not a whole lot during the next couple of days. But a lot of groundwork is being laid, and I could possibly see the Dodgers and Cardinals having a lot of talks about Brendan Donovan and Lars Newpar. You know, Hein Bloom is now in charge of the Cardinals. They seem to be in a rebuild mode. They need pitching. The Dodgers have pitching. Lars Newbar can play all three outfield positions. Brendan Donovan can play second, he could play third, he could play left field. So to me, that's a match, that's a trade match. Whether or not they can come up with something remains to be seen because the Dodgers are not the only team that has interest in those players. So Lars Newpar, Brendan Donovan, those are legit conversations. We're gonna take a time out. When we come back, you'll hear my extensive conversation with Brian Cranston, who has trade ideas, wants to have my numbing trade talk with us on Dodger Talk. The great actor Brian Cranston is next right here on Dodger Talk on a five to seventy LA Sports And yeah, he has done some things in Hollywood. On stage in the theater. He may have won seven Emmy Awards, he may have won two Tony Awards. He may be the man that has brought those Owmbrace into our lives as the best mess how you'll ever taste. But first and foremost, he is a great Dodger fan and not one of those bandwagon fans that showed up a few years ago. This man has been through it and now is reaping the rewards a back to back World Series championships. And that is the one and only Brian Cranston from across the pond in London, England. Brian, thanks a lot for the time and so great to do this.
Speaker 2: David. It's good to see you again. It's about nine pm at night right here and on my day off, I'm doing a play here, but I'm always ready to talk baseball all my sons.
Speaker 1: That's what Brian Cranston is starring in. It's Arthur Miller played from way back in nineteen forty seven. So I don't know whether you had a spring training for this play or not, So can we just start at where you were for Game six? In Game seven and where you were when Rojas hit his improbable home run.
Speaker 2: David. Every single game started at one ten am in London, no matter whether they were playing, and so it was. It was crushing me to be to try to sleep and then set the alarm for one am and get up out of a sound sleep and then watch for three hours and then try to go back to sleep for another hour or two before going to rehearsal at ten am. It was I was like in a daze. I was in a but you know what, I would do it again. Look looking back, what a great series, you know, back and forth? And how odd was it is that the first time maybe you know, Dave set the first time, and I believe this is true. I haven't. I didn't double check this. But didn't the visiting team win every.
Speaker 1: Game except one? The Dodgers won that eighteen inning marathon. Oh that's right, And they did win one in Toronto. They did win one in Toronto. But I think the point is is that was the greatest World Series that we have seen, maybe in our lifetimes, as far as just how competitive and the momentum swings. I mean, the Dodgers in Game seven, Brian, they could have lost four or five different times before Rojas even has that chance.
Speaker 2: The idea of Miggy Roe getting up in the top of the ninth with one out. They just needed two more outs and they got and he hits it out. Oh my, I was screaming. Now remember it's now about three o'clock in the morning, and I'm screaming, and my wife was saying, what happened, what happened, And as she goes, You're gonna wake everybody up in the whole building, and I said, I didn't care. It was it was too big. And then in the tenth when when Smith does the same thing, it was like it seemed destined. Then it seemed like it was ours. At that moment, it was like, okay, you have these two things happen in the top of the ninth and the top of the tenth. This is ours. We're gonna wrap this up.
Speaker 1: I find this so fascinating, just to see your timeline of event. It's across the globe. So eighteen innings goes on again and Freddie Freeman hits his walk off home run in the bottom of the eighteenth inning. What was Were you able to stay up the whole time? Did you take a nap between innings twelve and seventeen? I mean, what was going on.
Speaker 2: It was like I was in a It was seemed like I was in a drug and do stupor it was, you know, by that time, it was it was something like five point thirty in the morning, and I was already holding my head, going, I don't I don't know how I'm gonna make it through this day. But and the other thought, it truly came to me. If the Dodgers win this, I'll somehow make it through the day. But if they lose, oh my god, it would.
Speaker 1: Be all show's canceled.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't do it, can't do it. Tell the audience to go home.
Speaker 1: You know what's surreal about all this is how you're there in London for all my sons, but at Dodger Stadium for those three games. And I believe even throughout the entire postseason in the highlights and hyping up the crowd at Dodger Stadium with Dodger visions. So you may not have been physically at Dodger Stadium, but certainly your spirit was and your voice.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm happy to be a sliver of a part of the celebration. It was fun to do. And as you said, David. I was born and raised in Los Angeles, so this is my team. I was born in nineteen fifty six. My first Dodger game was in nineteen sixty one when I was five and a half years old, and it was at the La Coliseum. I don't remember much of it. I went with my older brother and my father, and I just remember the the It was huge, there was a lot of celebration going on, and it was probably the first time I ever felt that. But I did remember one thing, and that was the name of a of a Dodger player called Wally Moon. Remember Wally, And it was the first shot as a as a young boy that I thought, oh, so his name could be the same as as something else. You know. It's like my name was Brian, but there's no object for a star name Brian. So so I just didn't understand that, and so that I remembered that name, and as Vince Gully dubbed him the Moon shots that he used to hit like a chip shot over the screen in left field because they didn't want to pitch to the inside. He was a left handed batter, and and I was so impressed with that and the and the symbol behind that. It was what it meant to hit a moonshot was to overcome an obstacle. Here's a dilemma. How do you do this? How do you figure out this problem? And he figured out the problem, and so I was so enamored by that that I named my production company Moonshot Entertainment.
Speaker 1: No kidding, I didn't know that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, wow, wow, that's awesome.
Speaker 1: What a tip of the cap to Wally Moon and well the Moonshot Well Colisseum, Brian, you remember obviously what it was. The Colisseum had a short porch. Yeah, two hundred and fifty feet away enough, and I don't I forgot how high that screen was that Wally Moon used to hit him over.
Speaker 2: It was about forty four feet tall the screen because it was so short. Now, center and right field were enormous, they were vast, and so they didn't want to give left handed hitters that freedom to hit and run like crazy. So they used to pitch a little outside to left handed hitters and force them to hit to left field, hit off the screen, and the most they'd get as a single because it was so short. But yeah, he figured out how to solve a problem, and I was very impressed with that.
Speaker 1: So Brian Cranston. When you used to go watch Wally Moon and the Dodgers at the coliseum. We have heard the stories of fans like yourself and your dad that would bring their transistor radio to the Colisseum and you could actually hear Vin Scully's call throughout the Colisseum and eventually at Dodger Stadium. Do you remember those memories vividly of hearing Vin Scully for the first time.
Speaker 2: It's indelible. Once you hear Vin Scully, it becomes part of your life. And he was with Brooklyn, as we know, and so he came out. And that's all I knew was Vin Scully since the very first time I heard his voice. And you know, I didn't have a great childhood. It was probably not as bad as some worse than others, but I knew that during the three hours that I was listening to a Dodger game with Vin Scully's voice, at least during that time, all was well and he was able to paint a picture and allow me, as a young boy, to escape the hardships that I was feeling and be able to fantasize about being a baseball player. Myself and what that would be like. And I remember sneaking in my transistor radio with my little ear plug and I used to put it down my sleeve and I and I would would hold it up to my ear in class. Because in the sixties, all the all the World Series games that he used to announce, they were all during the day. There are very few night games in the World Series. And so all through the sixties I used to listen to to Vin do the the World Series games and any day games that happened to be, you know, like the Businessman special games they used to have in in midweek, and you know, I mean. And I was fortunate enough about eight years ago, just a couple of years before he retired, UH to be able to present Vin with the ESPN Award for Broadcaster of the Century, you know. And and I was able to do that. And I was actually doing a play in New York at the time, but it was on a Sunday night, So I flew out Sunday morning to be in Los Angeles to do this award. And then as soon as it was over, I got on a red eye and flew back to New York so I could be in the show the next day, so but it was worth it.
Speaker 1: Amazing.
Speaker 2: He was my hero. I was able to bring my daughter and my daughter to meet him, and she grew up with him, and they took some pictures together and those are cherished memories.
Speaker 1: Wow. That gives me chisen. I feel like part of the reason why people love what you do, whether it's you know, on TV and the movies or on stage, is because of how relatable you are. And for people like myself who grew up my entire life in the San Fernando Valley, that's all very relatable twenty years later obviously, but I mean we all listened to him, and I did the same thing. I would have the radio go on until I went to bed. I mean that was my comfort, yeah, going to sleep.
Speaker 2: Well games, going to the stage. Yeah, how many times I've gone, hundreds of times. I'd always want to bring a radio to listen to Vin, you know. I mean that was that was just part of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I don't know if this is me just being too nostalgic, but I do wonder what it would sound like if Vin would have called that Rojas or will Smith home run or Freddie's Grand Slam, those are the things that sometimes go through my mind because Chick hern and Vin Scully to me brought the Dodgers and Lakers to life for all of us.
Speaker 2: They sure did. And even you know, even King's Hockey Bob Miller was was a terrific annouswer as well. We really got very lucky here in Los Angeles.
Speaker 1: Brian Cranston, you're so excited about this Dodger team, but everybody always wants more. I'm not sure if you experienced this in the in Hollywood, but yeah, you were great in this show, but we want more. What are you gonna do next? And it feels like that's the Dodgers as well. You went back to back World Series championships for the first time in franchise history, but we want a three peat. And Brian Cranston is so excited about playing Andrew Friedman.
Speaker 3: Maybe one day he will, but you you actually feel like you have some hot stove in you to maybe pull off and solidity three pete.
Speaker 2: I do I have some proposals?
Speaker 1: You have a Miritt down.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Uh. One proposal is in house, so no trades, and then there's a there's a couple of trade proposals. But I first started with, you know, every Dodger fan, and I've talked to many, and they're so remarkably intenseligen about it, and so you're passionate about it, but you also have to be sensible and a realistic. When we were kids making these fantasy trades in our heads, they always favored the Dodgers by a long shot. You know, why don't we just trade so and so? And it's like, oh, come on, but now you have to be realistic in my fantasies. I'm being realistic. So I first started with what we know. Last year, our outfield was Conforto, Paz, and Hernandez left or right right. The only let's be honest, the only good defensive player was Paz. Okay, it will not be the same this year. We cannot. Conforto was well. He was a low cost experiment. It just didn't work and he's gone and I wish him well. I heard he was a good guy. Pahz started out cold at the plate and then he got red hot at mid season and they got cold again. So we're going to look for a little more consistency out of him and Hernandez ended up with what twenty five home runs, which is great, but I think he struck out too much and he didn't get enough walks, so his on base percentage I think was down and and so. But the biggest thing about him is that the Dodgers cannot, must, not will not put him out in right field again. He was a defensive liability to us. And you know, I can say that. You you have to talk to him, but I can say that, and and we know that to be true. The War numbers explain that specifically he was. I think he was thirty three out of thirty six right fielders in it.
Speaker 1: And so one of the defensive right fielders. You're right, and man ta Oscar is one of my favorite people. So I'm racing myself for what's coming here.
Speaker 2: Well, okay, but see why I wasn't when he played left field a year and a half two years ago. Why was it hidden? Is right field really that much more demanding? And I suppose it is. But when he was in left field, we didn't really talk about his defensive liability very much. It was really his offense was so good and he was he was an adequate outfielder in left field. So the way to do it, because we have a hole in left field is to move Hernandez back to left field, plant him there, leave him there, and I think he's more comfortable there, and I think he'll he'll be more comfortable and that'll equate to him at the at the plate. So now we have a we have a hole in right field, right which which leads me to this next thing, sill in house. No no trades yet, Mookie Bets is his Mookie Bets. If you were to asked Dave and David, I'm asking you because you talked to him, is Mookie happy and comfortable at shortstop?
Speaker 1: Can you answer that he's a happier person player at shortstop. He wants to be on the infield the rest of his career.
Speaker 2: Do you think, Okay, now that's like, what's seven more years under a Dodger contract?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have aunt him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you think he can sin seven more years?
Speaker 1: I feel like, as you know, shortstop is the most demanding position, unprecedented for a thirty a player over thirty to go from right field to shortstop. I feel like in his future, maybe not in twenty twenty six, but beyond second base is a is a compromise. But I know what you're saying many others feel the same way. Just put Mookie back in right field.
Speaker 2: Well, the other question I have is, because it's so demanding, probably would you say that a catcher or a shortstop is the most demanding position role?
Speaker 1: I would say catching, But then outside of that, shortstop would be right.
Speaker 2: Do you think that Mooki was so focused on being a becoming a really really impressive great shortstop defensively? Do you think that hurt him offensively?
Speaker 1: I would say no, because in twenty four he was on his way to winning the MVP playing shortstop. His offense was really good before he broke his hand on a pitch that hit him and he missed six weeks. So I would say he was better at shortstop. But still, as you know, it's a position that there's so many nuances that if you need to play it at this level you've had to play your whole life. But I feel like he's done an adequate enough job. I mean, they won the World Series, he had an unassisted double play, So I think he's staying. I think he's staying at shortstop in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: Okay, which leads me to another question directly to you for all of us. I'm representing Dodger fans now when I'm pumping you for questions.
Speaker 1: That's a great ray.
Speaker 2: Alix Freeland ready to be a major league shortstop in your.
Speaker 1: Mind, No, Alex Freeland is not the answer I would. I'm a big advocate for the Dodgers pursuing bo Baschett because he could play second, he could play short, he can play third base. So I feel like bo Bashett would be great for not only this year but beyond. And he's only twenty eight years old.
Speaker 2: Right, that's an interesting, interesting thing. It's going to cost him quite a bit, but the Dodgers don't seem to worry too much about costs. Now, if if that's a situation, we find someone else to do. And because I was thinking, now, here's what I would think if we if we go outside with a trade instead of going free agency and bringing back Cody Bellinger or something like that, which.
Speaker 1: I'm I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Those those two years were brutal when you know on twenty one and twenty two brutal, and I don't I'm with you, I thank you.
Speaker 1: It's time to turn the page. I mean, Cody's moved on the Dodgers that moved on. Yeah, I'm with you.
Speaker 2: I agree with that. So here's two trades that won't cost the Dodgers a lot in the sense of money. Okay, so we have right field open, uh if we if we move ta Oscar to left, or or we trade ta Oscar. Oh, come on, now, stay with me for a second. Ye, trade Taoskar to the Guardians for Stephen Kwan. Put Kwan in left Taos. I think the Guardians would go for this because I think they have five Their five outfielders are all left handed and they don't have much power, and so they needed a power right handed bat, so they might go for that. Stephen Kwan has like two years left, Ben, I think, does ta Oskar have two years left on his contract?
Speaker 1: I think something like that at a higher price tag at.
Speaker 2: A higher price tag, exactly right. And the reason I say that is get Stephen Kwan for a couple of years. The two top Dodger farm hands are both outfielders that might really make a statement, but not this year and maybe not next year. Right, it's going to be maybe twenty seven.
Speaker 1: Yes, and maybe as we've seen, you're you're still uh, you're still a prospect until you prove otherwise. So a suspect. We've seen a lot of guys that are supposed to be the next big thing that have not turned out to be the next biggest.
Speaker 2: So true, Kershaw has has told us that over and over again. Where is he pitched in the minors? Not the same thing, you know, it's not the same thing. It's a totally new game, and you do have to prove yourself. But here's so, here's the trade. So if you take Taosca to the Guardians for Stephen Kuan and now Kwan doesn't hit home runs really, but he has a huge on base percentage and his defense is superb. So so what you do then is that you move Pahz to right which is his natural position, right field, and you make a trade with the Twins for Buxton Trey Alese call high song. Kim propects. You got three more years of Buxton, who's an excellent fielder and a big bat. Okay, you got three years of him. You're gonna have to get You're gonna have to give him Jackson Ferris or Mike Surra. Oh, come on, you're gonna have to do. But listen, what.
Speaker 1: Do you what do you value more? What's the most important thing in a player? Availability? Byron Buxton has only played two full seasons in his career. His injury list is longer than your credits. That that's how long it is. So you're I don't feel like he's an Andrew Friedman type of guy. He's injury prone, great player when he's on the field, but look, Stephen Kwan is on the Dodgers radar, but Cleveland is a tough front office. To make a trade with Pa has to right field, makes sense, Tommy Edmund could playing left field. Brendan Donovan of the Cardinals, Lars new Bar of the Cardinals very available as well. So I feel like you're on the right track. But I'm not sure which piece of the puzzle Andrew Friedman is going to go for to improve the outfield and somehow get younger if possible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I mean Buxton's only thirty.
Speaker 1: One, but a body that's like thirty eight. I mean he has had a lot of injuries.
Speaker 2: To counter that you just said. When he plays, when he's healthy, he's excellent. And you have you know, Haisong Kim, who has yet to prove himself. You have either Serota or Farris to prove themselves. We don't know, and you're going to have to give up something to get to get that defense. But just imagine for one second, just imagine the defense. We'd have the best defensive outfield in all of baseball and without sacrificing offense either. Think about that.
Speaker 1: I love it. I love it if if he stays healthy, all right? And Steph Kwan I like that too. Do you what's your bonus trade? You told me you had a bonus trade. Was the Buston trade? The bonus trade the Supervills?
Speaker 2: No, the Buston trade was part of the if we're moving ta Oscar, if we're gonna if we're gonna move him.
Speaker 1: Oh then, by the way, Oscar Hernandez was spotted in Miami and he looks like he's been putting in a lot of off season work already. He looks at least twenty pounds later.
Speaker 2: Wow. Cool, I mean, I mean there's a lot of inside information that obviously fans don't have that.
Speaker 1: Oh does Brian Kriston has all the information?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Sure, he's trying to play like he's out of touch. Actor in London doesn't have a pipeline. Andrew Friedman.
Speaker 2: Okay, here here is a total fantasy, never will happen. Trade Derek Scoogle Tarek Scougel to the Dodgers for Emmett Sheen and Justin Robleski.
Speaker 1: That's it, that's all You think the Tigers would.
Speaker 2: Want, Well, remember one more year and he's a free agent. Yes, so they got They have to think smart as well. We're giving them two proven major leaguers, both extremely young, to step in. Now, you might have to sweeten that deal with the prospect as well, just to fill it a little bit, but not necessarily a top prospect. But you have two young major league talent to get Tarek Scoogel. Can you imagine that st arding rotation?
Speaker 1: That would be the dream trade. That would be the dream trade. The Tigers are listening, I think, just to see what is out there from the Mets, the Dodgers and other teams. But they're trying to win, so I feel like if they're out of contention at the trade deadline. Brian Cranston, though, that trade definitely would be on the table.
Speaker 2: Scooball ya, I'm a motor. Snell glasno sasaki Otani.
Speaker 1: Okay, how about this, I'll take it another step for further. If the Tigers don't trade Schooble this year, would you advocate for the Dodgers to sign him when he's a free agent or do you feel like they've allocated enough to their starting pitching.
Speaker 2: Hmmm, that's interesting, you know it. It's hard to predict what's going to happen or where were what conversation we're going to have a year from now after how Dodgers win back to back to back. This is gonna be a three.
Speaker 1: Pat with these trades.
Speaker 2: Three peat, it's possible.
Speaker 1: I feel like there's just some tweaks that Dodgers have to make, and they are trying to get younger. They are listening on what teams are offering for Taoscar Hernandez. But I feel at the end of the day, you're gonna see a better Taoscar. And what Brian Cranston said is one hundred percent doable. Just move Tayo back to left field. That'll solve a lot of problems.
Speaker 2: It really it really. He seems so much more comfortable and I don't even remember any conversation questioning his defense when he was in left I know nobody.
Speaker 1: He made a great throw to throw out John Carlos Stanton in Game five of the World Series in twenty four I mean he was he was really good and left. Yeah. Can you give us some hope that all my sons is coming to Broadway or Los Angeles? Can I come see my guy, Brian Krantzt to go to London.
Speaker 2: You have to come to London for now. We're here. Until we're here until the first week of March. I'm going to try to see if I can get over to see some spring training games. But that that's my hope. But this, you know, I mean, I'm like an island over here. Everybody wants to talk soccer and I'm got anybody. Nobody loved baseball, you know, it's like, is that like cricket? Hell?
Speaker 1: Did you bring a Dodger hat with you to London?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh yeah, that's great.
Speaker 2: Sure. I wore it on my couch from one am to three am. Oh my god. But what a what a World Series? That was so exciting. I think, you know, we're talking about getting younger. There's gonna be contracts coming to an end within the next two years. That I think that's when they're going to make a shift.
Speaker 1: And when I say younger, not like twenty two like you're talking about with some of these prospects. There's way to get younger twenty seven, twenty eight, because if you get too young too soon, then all of a sudden you're stuck with a lot of rebuilding pieces. And that's not what the Dodgers are going to do now.
Speaker 2: Dodgers retool, we don't rebuild.
Speaker 1: Can I ask you this question, Yeah, since you've seen it all in Los Angeles with the Dodgers, like we're talking about, they're here to win a three peat? Is this Is it overstating that since twenty thirteen this is the best stretch of consistent time in Dodger baseball history. I mean, I love Garby, Loebs, Rustling, say Oral and Fernando, but I feel like this is really the goal an age of Dodger baseball. Is that overstating things?
Speaker 2: Well, I would I wouldn't say that it's overstating it. Certainly younger generations, this is what they know. You know, after the eighties we had eighty one and eighty eight, but after that there was there was a long stretch of dry road. It was. Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's like from Darryl Strawberry to uh Gary Sheffield would yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: It was. It was tough. It was tough, but baseball is tough. Now. Here's here's the thing. I hope, I hope the Dodgers never ever go back to a five man rotation. I think what the Japanese players that brought in is smart and it's much more health conscious. We're we're looking at these kids when when I was a kid, nobody threw a hundred. It just wasn't. It wasn't possible. No, Ryan was the first one to come up and it's like, oh my god. Yeah, and that wasn't he wasn't hitting that all the time. Now every kid is hitting that, and every starting pitcher. There's no more complete games. No one's looking for a complete game. They're throwing as hard as they possibly can for six innings.
Speaker 1: That's the goal.
Speaker 2: It's it's abnormal to ask the human body to endure that kind of stress. Look at what's happened to the Dodger pitching staff over the last few years. It's been decimated. It's and but when they've given the days off and they've gone to a six man rotation. It has given them an extra day of healing. I will also say, if you look at who was on the IL last year, almost every starter was on the IL for a stretch of time, which I think, in a weird way, benefited the Dodgers. Come October, when was out Freddie was out, and Munsey was out, and I mean and Edmund was out, they had time to heal. Oh Smith was out. They had some time to shut down and not spend so much energy. And then here comes October and then they regroup and get it back together. We all know one hundred and sixty two is a grind and it's a gauntlet of pain. You got to make it through that in order to get to October. So I'm saying, let them go on the al, bring kids up, see how they do in June July. Let if you got a risk injury, go on the ten day. Don't even question playing, go on the ten day. Shut it down a little bit. How does it feel. How do you feel You're spending more time to your family, You're saving some energy. Come back. When you come back, we're going to be stronger. It also gives Doc and the rest of the staff time to look at guys like Freeland he had a nice long run. It wasn't a cup of coffee. He had a pot of coffee, and it was like here, So it was it was you know, we we got to look at our catchers situation and you know, moving them around, and so I think it benefited us in a weird way.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean that's what the Dodgers have mastered the regular season, and they sprinkle in these young guys, especially pitching wise, to to really get them ready for the next step. And remember this name, Brian Cranston for twenty twenty six River Ryan River. Ryan will be the twenty twenty sixth version of Emmett Shean. He will be that guy for the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: Are you saying that because Emma Chian will be a member of the Detroit Tigers once we have.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying that.
Speaker 2: No, Okay, Rookie of the Year.
Speaker 1: You're saying that, I'm not saying that. Well, he's not gonna I'd say he's gonna be a breakout star. No, he'll be like a second half guy for the Dodgers and if he needs if the Dodgers do have an injury in the first half. He would probably be one of those guys that would they're they're getting ready.
Speaker 2: I mean remember that River Ryan, Yeah, I remember that name. Come in. But but we know there's gonna be injuries and it's just how you manage that going along, So filtering in these guys getting like Gratterol back and back on board and you know, re signing, trying and if we can't maybe Phillips, you know, if we if we get him back, maybe, but adding a.
Speaker 1: Relief picture would be big for the Dodgers. A guy that's established. There's been some rumors about Robert Suarez, Ken Lee Janssen. Those are guys that could help established veterans at the end of the game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, one more maybe one more yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, I don't know how to end this conversation. I love talking to you. You've been so great with your time and on your day off, and it's awesome to hear your experiences and to share your thoughts about what the Dodgers should do and your trade ideas. It's awesome. So thank you Brian Cranston for your time. I mean we could go on and on. I mean this is like a six episode type of thing. Here come on.
Speaker 2: Well, let's just pause it then for now, and we'll pick it up another month or two.
Speaker 1: Sounds good, sounds good. After they make their big splash, I'll reach out to you.
Speaker 2: Well, let me ask you this. We're the winner may right now. Are they going to make us splash during the winter meetings? Is that your prediction?
Speaker 1: No, no, no, Lane, the groundwork, nothing splash gy in the next couple of it's but laying the groundwork, meeting with teams to possibly get it closer to the finish line.
Speaker 2: Yeah, makes sense.
Speaker 1: That's how I think that. Yeah, everybody's under one roof now. Schwarber has a good chance of signing during the winter meetings. Ron Harris Suarez, same thing. But the not Trews, I think are just trying to wait the market out, and they have specific guys they feel that they that could help the team via trade. I think the Cardinals are a good trade partner for Lars Newbar or Brendan Davin.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I see that too. They may not have to go into the free agent market to really fortify what we need to change the team for this season.
Speaker 1: Well, when you're back from London, you're done. In March. Spring training will be in full swing. I can't wait to see you a camel back ranch. We'll give you a tour. I'll pull some strings for you know, a guy by the name of Brian Cranston that I'm sure people would love to see out there.
Speaker 2: It'll be fun, it'll be fun. One more thing, Buxton is only making fifteen MILLI a year for the next three years. I'm just saying.
Speaker 1: I'm just saying, Brian Cranston, big Byron Buxton fan. I'll get you a jersey for Buxton if the Dodgers. If the Dodgers acquire Byron Buxton, I am getting a jersey for you.
Speaker 2: Hey, let me okay, one last thing before we sign up. Now, in the twilight of their careers, there's two future Hall of Famer pitchers out there that are free agents. What do you think do you think the Dodgers would bring Surezer back on a one year deal or Verlander?
Speaker 1: No chance, No, I don't believe they would bring either one of those guys in. Definitely not Sure's or after what took place in twenty one. And Verlander I don't see you know he was part of the seventeen Astros.
Speaker 2: Ah, there we go. We're still hold the grudge.
Speaker 1: Oh man, Brian, I also talking to you. Yes, great to see uh that smile out there in London. All my sons needs to come out to uh, the United States. I need to see you in action. I missed Network, you know, I need to see I mean, my favorite, my favorite show was The Studio. I mean that character that you played. It was such a surprise to see you and you did an awesome job.
Speaker 2: And yeah we're doing this second season at the Studio. Oh yeah, are you doing that? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I love it, I love it. See you just broke news on Dodger.
Speaker 2: Talk broke news. Yeah, it's better than breaking wind.
Speaker 1: I'll talk to you soon. Thank you for the time.
Speaker 2: All right, thanks David.
Speaker 1: That was really special. Thank you, thank you, Thank you Brian Cranston for taking the time on your day off all the way in London, England of all places, A day off for All my Sons, which is running through March of twenty twenty six. If you're planning a vacation out there, go see it. Brian Cranston is amazing and one day I can't wait to see him on stage. I loved him in the studio incredibly. I still haven't watched a single episode of Breaking Bad, but don't tell him that. Don't tell him that I can't wait to see it. But he's a regular guy. That's why we love him. He's a regular guy. He's a Dodger fan like you, and certainly had some interesting trade ideas for Andrew Friedman. In case you missed any of the show, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app, and we'll be back with you tomorrow night at seven o'clock. We will take your phone calls, I promise from the Sports and at LA Studios. We will be broadcasting Dodger Talk again at seven o'clock right here on a five to seven to LA Sports and you can listen live on the iHeartRadio app. Thanks again to Ronnie Foscio. Great job back at our Burbank studios. Thanks to you for listening. We'll talk to you tomorrow at seven Sea