Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begun.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 1: This is world Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: Here we go again.
Speaker 2: We're Getady running.
Speaker 1: Back, hosted by Dodgers and seigner David Bassi.
Speaker 2: A three peat in the mix.
Speaker 1: Dodger Talk is brought to you by La County Public Works Champions Recycle.
Speaker 4: Beverage Containers make the play Recycle Today, and by Children's Hospital LA from Colds to Cancer. We got this to get in on the show called eight six six not eighty seven, two five seven days and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you catch your podcasts. Here's your host, David Vase.
Speaker 2: We are at Downy Hunday in the beautiful city of down Ay. We have many Dodger fans that have showed up and showed out for Dodger Talk with you until eight o'clock to here on a five to seventy LA Sports. We have so many things to get to between now and the end of the hour. We have ten pairs of tickets to give away to Alex Vesia's Babblehead Night on May twenty ninth. We're gonna do that here on site at Downey Hunday. We also have BJ gift cards to give away, and our friends from fourth Quarter have donated five hundred dollars of a gift card, so we're gonna do all that in the next hour. But you're here to see one man, and this is a story of perseverance, overcoming adversity and becoming a back to back World Series champion. He is the anchor of the Bullpen Dogs for the Dodgers, the one and only. Yeah, can I hear that? Can I hear the Can I hear the dogs? Or there it is. I think he's ready now and that beautiful beard and living color. Welcome Alex Vesia to Downey Hyundai. There it is. Look at that. Oh yeah, man, he's making his way up the runway. We got a stage, we got a big screen, you know. Thing here going Alex, VESSI and my guy man beautiful. How about this? I mean, look look behind you, Bessie, look at this Vessia. There you are. We got everything all right, guy, Sam the man, I'm learning that this Yeah, that's all him.
Speaker 3: Very cool.
Speaker 2: Thank you for coming out.
Speaker 3: This is awesome. Wow, I was traffic was traffic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is cool. This is the center of Los Angeles, right here in Downey, and as you can see, the city loves you very much. Fans are wrapped around the building for you.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I appreciate it. This is this is super cool.
Speaker 2: Hey, usually relievers don't get this type of love. I mean, I feel like this is a very very unique situation because relievers are kind of like offensive linemen. Nobody knows about them until the quarterback gets sacked, until maybe a home run's given up. But these fans appreciate and have wrapped their arms around you. I appreciate that for the last six years.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, it's it's a long, long, you know, long journey.
Speaker 6: But you know, I think the the time on the field and whatnot, and you know, I just I put it all out there and I think it's recognizable.
Speaker 3: And.
Speaker 6: Man, it's a little overwhelming, a little overwhelming, Dave, But no, it's super cool, really nice to be out with the fans.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: It's wild is when we see you on the mound, you're so fired up. You hit that switch, and I feel like when you're on the streets of la you're on the streets of Downey, people expect you to have that type of personality, but you're nothing like who you are on the mound.
Speaker 6: Uh yeah, I think it's I mean, competition and competing and it's way different.
Speaker 3: It's way different. Yeah.
Speaker 6: I definitely go into a different mindset when I'm out on the mound.
Speaker 3: You have to. But I just still, you know, like normal, Like today, it's a normal day. I feel like I'm a regular guy.
Speaker 6: I'm just trying to live life like the rest of us. And you know, this is this is cool. I like just kind of hanging out and yeah, it' stuff. There's not as much tendency. There's not you know, like I don't have Red Bull going through my veins right now or anything like that.
Speaker 3: But yeah, man, no, this is super cool.
Speaker 2: Are you saying that when you walk up and down Firestone Boulevard and Downey you're not wearing your fifty one Vessie jersey?
Speaker 3: No? No, but I'll see a lot of them here today, which is really cool. Man.
Speaker 2: That's uh, Sam, I know, Sam's got it.
Speaker 3: I know That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Relievers never have jerseys made of them no, unless you're like the closer. Yeah, but a guy like you, I mean fifty one. There's a lot of fifty ones out there.
Speaker 3: There is, there is.
Speaker 6: It's gotten a lot more popular the last couple of years, So which is a good thing.
Speaker 3: That means I'm doing my job.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, exactly. And you had been doing your job ever since you became a Dodger. And you guys just got back from a road trip that felt like it was a month long, more than just six games. Yeah, when you go through something like that, and did number one, did you realize I wasn't on this road trip?
Speaker 6: No, I realized, Yeah, I realized that you weren't in the clubhouse bugging every player and getting into our business.
Speaker 3: No, no, yeah, this is uh, this road trip was really long. Yeah, but it was cool. I got to see d Ma. Yeah, that's my guy.
Speaker 6: We've been we were locker buddies, uh, you know, with it when he was with us, and then you know, with everything that he had had gone through with surgeries and and yeah, the sophagus stuff. Right, so you know, he's been really really good friend of mine, and so I got to see him, got to give him his ring.
Speaker 3: That was really cool.
Speaker 6: And then obviously playing in Houston, you know it was it was all right, we took two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was good. You gotta split on that road trip. We're almost at the quarter point of the season.
Speaker 3: Can you believe that that's so weird?
Speaker 2: The schedule has been played already and you guys are in first place in the n L West. I know Andrew Friedman and Dave Roberts understand how to navigate one hundred and sixty two games, but as a guy that's in it every day, how do you navigate one hundred and sixty.
Speaker 3: Two games one day at a time?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's.
Speaker 6: My routine is what keeps it kind of easy. I do the same thing every day. I eat the same thing every day. That's just kind of my thing. Oh yeah, yeah, I just chicken rice and avocado is like my absolute favorite game, right, that's my thing. Chicken rice, avocado, Chick fil a sauce, chicken flate best, it's the best.
Speaker 3: But yeah, like that routine is kind of just what it's It's easy.
Speaker 6: It sticks, it's not super complex or complicated, but like, one day at a time, one pitch at a time is kind of the thing that you know, Barto and the bullpen kind of tell us, you know, and it worked the other night. You know, glass now coming out of the game, Jack Dryer coming in had a you know, super long, extensive warm up, and I mean he set the tone for that whole game. So that was super cool. I was really really proud of him. And I didn't have to go in that.
Speaker 3: Game, which that was good. I'll take it.
Speaker 6: But yeah, you know, it's you never know what you're gonna get man baseball one hundred and sixty two games.
Speaker 3: It's never it's never the same.
Speaker 2: All Right, you go back and Alex Bessie is our guest on Dodger Talk. We are at Downy hun Day seventy five to fifty Firestone Boulevard. Yeah you hear about guys. Yeah they work here, Yeah they do.
Speaker 5: They very Yeah, they.
Speaker 2: Like where they work. That's good, it's cool. Good. So guys like Will Climb Okay, nobody knew who Will Cline was until Game three of last year's World Series, right, and he's come back this year. I mean we knew who he was, Yeah, we did.
Speaker 3: It was on our team.
Speaker 2: But people in America, yeah, I'm sure many people in Downey knew who Will Cline was before Game three of the World Series.
Speaker 3: They know him now, Yeah, they do? They know him now?
Speaker 2: How you know? Everybody wants to know. How do the Dodgers make this work? Alex Vesia an unknown from the Marlins. Yep, you turn into Alex Vessia. You can't go anywhere and downy without people knowing. He now.
Speaker 3: That. But all right, okay, where are you going with this, Dave?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So Will Klein, how do you guys make him feel like feel like he belongs after what he did in that moment? Coming back a brand new season every year is unique and he's been able to, you know, take his game to the next level.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, I think it's there's a little bit of both, right and hang on with me, Right, It's he did something super special last year. Right, There's also this is a new season, this is new objective, this is new goals, this is everything is in front of him. Right, So it's being able to kind of still chase that and not live.
Speaker 3: Right in the past.
Speaker 6: Right, But last year was super cool man, watching him grow and just kind of become who he is now. Right, you know, he stepped up in a big way and I mean we knew he had really good stuff when we got him.
Speaker 3: I don't know how much he.
Speaker 6: Believed in his stuff, but you know, over the course of the season, you know, bouncing up and down, and you know he works really hard, and I mean it paid off in that moment and then now you're seeing it this year that you know, he's he's he's been.
Speaker 3: Really good for us.
Speaker 6: It's been really awesome to watch him throw and having a writing another writing in the bullpen to you know, take down right, he's lefties whatever whatever lane Doc wantson and you know he's ready.
Speaker 2: The dynamics of a bullpen are so interesting, right, Yeah, yeah, big time. You've been through this for the last six years. Guys have come and gone, Guys have helped you grow. You're helping young guys grow. How do you guys? Have you guys started to find an identity for this bullpen because you guys in twenty four were called the dogs. I would say this version of twenty six is very similar to those guys.
Speaker 6: Yeah it is, No, it is, And I'm I'm really really looking forward to having uh Gradoll back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, he's back.
Speaker 6: He had his He's had one or two rehabits, rehab outings. I still keep in touch with them, you know, right, you know, just oh absolutely like asking him how's you know, rehabs going. You know, it's a it's a long process. We also we're also getting Evan Phillips back. That's another one that uh he'll text me from time to time and you know, keep me updated and whatnot. But uh, the identity. I still like the Dogs, I really do. I think that there's still that core group of guys that twenty four that you know, we'll be back for twenty six.
Speaker 3: So I think we'll have to you know, we'll have.
Speaker 6: To talk to everybody, because it's not I'm not making that decision on what we're gonna call each other.
Speaker 2: You're just the dogs as long as you're good with that.
Speaker 3: I like that.
Speaker 2: On the Dodgers, Yeah, it's the bullpen dog.
Speaker 3: I like that. Come on, I don't think anybody else would, uh would change it.
Speaker 6: But yeah, one one game at a time for us, and uh, you know, we still got a lot of baseball.
Speaker 2: Yeah, has Tanner Scott found the dog inside Tanner?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that man, that that guy. He's the funniest dude in the world.
Speaker 6: I think it like try a sense of humor round oh my goodness.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but sometimes I wonder if his humor connects with you, because then you'll be like, oh, Tanner's settled down or yeah, yeah, whatever you say, Tanner. Yeah, I feel like you're like the elder statesman now, you're the adult now, which is incredible to believe in.
Speaker 6: That, you know, Yeah, he that man keeps me on my toes. I'll tell you what keeps me on my toes. But yeah, he uh, he's been really really good this year, and I'm just hoping that you know it, you know, we we keep going back and forth and and you know, when he pitches one night, maybe I'll pitch the next night and we will just kind of It's it's also fun like doing going over scouting reports with him, since like we're similar in like certain areas with like fastballs and sliders. Obviously he throws harder and his sliders a little different than mine, so it's like just kind of picking his brain on that you have to actually be in the bullpen to get those answers. If you're in the clubhouse, you're not getting those answers from him. So well, yeah, it's you know.
Speaker 2: He turns into a different guy when he's in the bullpen.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, oh yeah, and that that is a very special, very special human right there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I would say so, so is Alex Vessia. Right who doesn't love Alex Vessia. Yeah, we're down a hum day seventy five fifty Firestone Boulevard. I got it. I got an idea that I wanted to run by you. Joe Kelly was on the show last Thursday. Joe Kelly, Joe Kelly was Mariachi Joe. All right, he's got a new fancy Mariachi Joe hat that new era made for him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean that. What's what is he up to these days? What is he doing?
Speaker 2: He is the He calls himself the self proclaimed Drake of the Inland Empire, because he'll show up at an Ontario Tower Buzzers game, he'll show up at an Anaheim Ducks hockey game, all right. And I said, we got to get you at Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And the idea was to have Joe Kelly, Mariachi Joe Kelly sit in one of those seats that overhangs the Dodger bullpen. Just show up and sit there and surprise his old teammates. Man, would you.
Speaker 3: Be I'm in on that. Yeah, I'm in on that. I think. I mean, I think we could get him.
Speaker 6: Like you know the spot that's right next to the bullpen door. It's the first seat and that looks over it like actually into the field. I think if we got him right there, that would be even better.
Speaker 2: But what do you think he'd do?
Speaker 6: Oh, he would He would chirp us for sure. All his his comments would be not airable.
Speaker 2: No, that's for sure. But they get the dumb button ready when he comes on.
Speaker 6: Yeah, absolutely, absolutely, yeah, he that would be that'd be fun.
Speaker 3: I'm in on that.
Speaker 2: Okay. It was very available these days.
Speaker 3: I bet he has a lot of time on his hands.
Speaker 6: But he's got he's got a few kids to take care of.
Speaker 3: He does. Yeah what is kursh call it his starting five and.
Speaker 2: Do you miss Kershaw talks about.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 6: We we were in Colorado. Thomas the trainer, he uh.
Speaker 3: He facetimed him, so that was I was asking what he was doing. He was like, I did some bench. I'm done for the day. It was so funny. Man. So he's he's keeping active, for sure. But but how much.
Speaker 2: What was your relationship like with him?
Speaker 6: Uh, my relationship with him, we competed in the gym every single day and not there was It wasn't weightlifting, it wasn't uh cardio. It was just who could be in the gym first, who would show up first first?
Speaker 2: And how many times would you beat him?
Speaker 3: I mean, I'm definitely gonna give him. He beat He beat me more.
Speaker 6: His routine was also just way different being a starter in mind being a reliever. But yeah, no, he his guidance, his you know, just veteran presence day in and day.
Speaker 3: Out, is definitely why I do certain things the way I do them.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we've had multiple conversations with you know, having bad outings, having adversity, you know, holding yourself accountable in a standard.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Without Kersh, I definitely would not be in the in the position that I am.
Speaker 6: So yeah, he's been a great mentor for me, and I just will always remember that. Like, you know, he's it doesn't matter how like good of a baseball player, It's always was how good of a person you are, And that's you know why he's one of the best Dodger pitchers ever.
Speaker 3: You know. So, yeah, he's Uh, yeah, so shut him.
Speaker 2: I think that's why all these people respond to you. Maybe got great character as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe that's a I like that you care.
Speaker 2: You care, all right, they want to meet and greet with you. So I'm gonna ask you one more question. Okay, we have ten pairs of tickets to give away to the Dodgers Phillies game on May twenty ninth. It's Alex BESSI is Babblehead night.
Speaker 3: What do you think?
Speaker 2: Ahead?
Speaker 3: And it's unbelievable. It's so perfect. Yeah, it's so perfect.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they missed, but this time they hit.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: When they send it to me, the purple glove was awesome, and but then like the facial expression, yeah, and then like how like the picture that I wanted when I you know, my parents had asked me, even Kaz asked me about what babhood. I like, it's the exact picture of like what I wanted. So that was cool and I didn't have really any saying it. They just kind of said it to Hey, this's your ball ahead, But yeah, it's perfect. I'm I'm so happy about that. I think my dad's thrown out the first pitch, so I think.
Speaker 2: I thought maybe I thought you were gonna announce that no, I was throwing out the first pitch.
Speaker 3: Sorry, not gonna happen.
Speaker 2: Okay, hey, coming back. We love you. All the fans are ready to meet you. Reet you, kiss some babies, maybe throw them up in the air, maybe throw some adults up in the air. Right, but protect that left arm. This is the golden left arm. Thank you to Alex Vessia to coming out to Downey Hyundai seventy five fifty fire Throne Boulevard. Thanks to our guys, Sam.
Speaker 3: Yeah, very cool, Thank you.
Speaker 2: All of us, and we will continue with Dodger Talk. Alex Vessi is jumping off the stage and going to start introducing himself to all you fans out there for Dodger Talk around the corner right here on A five seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 3: Thanks Dave.
Speaker 1: On air at AM five to seventy, online at amfive seventy LA sports dot com and available my podcast on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 4: This is Dodger Talk with David Bassam.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you to Alex Vesia for stopping by here at Downey Hyundai Dodger Talk our first remote for Dodger Talk, and it's a party. Out here when you come to Downey Hyundai. This is a nightclub. It's not a car dealership. It's an experience, and our guy Sam, he knows how to get it going here. They've been giving out T shirts Downy Hyundai T shirts with that Dodger D script on the front. So it's been an awesome experience. So many fans have come out here to say hello to the friends here at Downey Hyunday and meet and greet Alex Vesia kind enough on an off day to come down here and be on the show. We still have ten pairs of tickets to give away to Alex Vesia's Babblehead Night May twenty ninth at Dodger Stadium Dodgers versus Phillies. We have two forty three inch Visio televisions to give away. We got a five hundred dollars gift card to the fourth Quarter in Highland Park courtesy of our friends at fourth Quarter who are in the house today, and of course two BJ's fifty dollars gift cards to give away and you can use that in Downy next week because Petros and Money are going to be hanging out at b Jayson Downey next week, So you win one of those fifty dollars gift cards and you take it down to B Jason Downey, which is very close to Downey Hyundai. So great synergy between Dodger Talk and Petros and money. Coming up at the bottom of the hour, we're going to get into show hal Tani and my plan that could help ease the burden on Otani this season. Also, it's it's just so ridiculous how everybody is starting to really frame Dalton Rushing like a guy that needs some defending from his teammates. It's just a little bit over the top as far as my opinion goes on that. So we'll get we'll set the record straight when it comes to that. Alex Vessi knows Dalton Rushing is a great guy. He doesn't need any defending. By the way, this weekend a big weekend at Dodger Stadium beginning Tomorrow night, Dodgers versus Braves. The Atlanta Braves are back. They have the best record in the National League. They're going to be at Dodger Stadium beginning tomorrow night. Emmett Shehan against Chris Saale Tomorrow night, Roki Sasaki against Spencer Streyder on Saturday, and Justin Robleski against Bryce Elder on Mother's Day on Sunday afternoon. So make your plans to join us at Dodger Stadium this weekend. Dodgers Braves definitely a possible ability for a playoff matchup down the line because the Braves had a lot of injuries. Matt Olson and Austin Riley were not themselves last year and the Braves did not make the postseason. But with the Phillies and Mets starting off really poorly this year, there's a very good chance the Braves could run the table and at the very least become a wildcard team if they don't hold on to their lead in the National League East, but I feel like they will also got some updates on Mookie Betts. We had breaking news earlier today. Mookie Betts is getting closer to returning to the Dodger lineup. In case you missed the news earlier today, Mookie Betts is going to Oklahoma City to start a rehab assignment. He usually doesn't do this. In fact, it's the first time with the Dodgers that he's going out on a rehab assignment. He is going to play Friday and Saturday in Oklahoma City. And you know, I don't see Mooki spending too much time in Oklahoma City. If he's out there and he's running around and he's swinging and he doesn't feel any pain with his right oblique area, I don't see any reason why he wouldn't come back during the Giant Series. And speaking of next week in the Giant Series, snell Zilla Blake Snell is making his final rehab start on Saturday for Ontario. But the game is in Rancho Cucamunga. That's right, Ontario versus Rancho Cucamonga. Rancho Kook now is the affiliate of the Angels, and the Dodgers obviously have their single a affiliate with Ontario now. So snell Zilla will be pitching for Ontario in Rancho Cucamunga on Saturday, And if you do the math, that means he would be returning probably Friday, a week from tomorrow, as the Dodgers will be in Anaheim to take the take on the Angels. So the Dodgers are getting closer to having to make some roster decisions. You heard Alex Vesi has say he's been texting with Bruce Starr Graderol the Bazuka. He probably is not coming back for another few weeks, but he's on the way back. And he hasn't pitched in professional games since Game five of the twenty four World Series, so that's great news. Brock Stewart just came back yesterday pitched a scoreless ninth inning for the Dodgers.
Speaker 3: So uh.
Speaker 2: The Dodger bullpen has been exceptional even without Edwin Diaz, and Alex Vesia has been a big reason why. I mean, Vessia has been the anchor of that bullpen in more ways than one. Tanner Scott has bounced back with a really good year, and I don't hear too many Tanner Scott critics anymore. It feels like when he comes in now, there's not that uneasy feeling as there was last year, and he's back to being Tanner Scott with the Padres and the Marlins, and that's a good thing for the Dodgers. So the Dodgers come back off a road trip that saw them split six games, took two out of three from the Astros. Andy Pajez had a big game yesterday, three home runs, six RBIs, and he looked like a Dodger, the only Dodger over the course of the last five games that actually had a decisive swing. They weren't guessing, trying to guess what pitcher, what pitch was coming. And I had a chance to talk to Reggie Smith yesterday. Reggie Smith, if you're old enough to know, one of the great Dodgers. He was part of the quartet, the first quartet on a team teammates to hit thirty home runs in the same year back in nineteen seventy seven, himself, Dusty Baker, Ronse and Steve Garvey. And Reggie Smith also learned from one of the greatest Japanese players this side of Shoho Tani, and that's Sadahara Oh who understood hitting mechanics from my understanding, better than most. And Reggie Smith understands hitting mechanics and the way he was explaining it because he watches Dodger game still and he said, it looks like they're guessing and they're trying to cover too much of the plate. And what he told me was and it makes so much sense if you're a hitter and you're facing a pitcher that has what three or four different pitches, I mean, McCullers has six, and he couldn't command any of them. Yesterday, the Dodgers scored their first three runs on wild pitches. That hadn't That hasn't happened since nineteen sixty nine for a team to score their first three runs on wild pitches, Dodgers or any team. It was actually the Braves against the Phillies in nineteen sixty nine. But nonetheless, he couldn't command any of his pitches, So why are you even looking at him? The way Reggie explained it is, if a pitcher's not commanding one of his pitches, you don't even have to worry about it because he can't throw it for a strike. So why are you even considering that that it may be in your hitting zone. You gotta know who you are. You gotta know your hitting zone. And to me, Pahz and Freddie Freeman on this road trip where the two that really exuded what Reggie Smith was talking about. And of course Freddie Freeman's one of the greatest hitters in modern day baseball. He's on his way to Cooperstown and it was great to see Freddie come alive on this road trip. I'm sure he saw my tweet when I said there are signs of life from Freddie Freeman on this road trip. He hit three seventy five, he had nine hits, he had four RBIs, two doubles, so he's starting to come along. And Kyle Tucker actually played really well in Houston. The Dodgers need him. They need to help out show hey Otani, who's doing something that he hasn't done in nearly five years, and that's be a full time two way player. And we'll see where it goes with Otani. I have my thoughts on which direction the Dodgers should go with Otani moving forward. I mentioned it on Dodger Talk yesterday. We'll mention it again when we come up in our next segment. But yeah, the Dodgers are more than just one player, and you can't just put it all on Otani. Miguel Rojas had said that after the game yesterday or two days ago. So when Mookie Bett's coming back, that is going to be huge because the Dodgers need their right handed hitters to come alive, which they really haven't. The Dodgers only have two home runs right handed. Dodgers only have two home runs against lefties this year, one from PAJZ one from Rojas, Taoscar Hernandez and Will Smith do not have a home run against the left handed pitcher, and that's got a change, which I expected to because the lefties are doing their job. Now you just need your right handed bats, the big guys to be able to be who they've been traditionally in their entire career. Eight six, six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy is the phone number, David Vassay out of Downy Hundais, seventy five fifty Firestone Boulevard. Get down here. This is a nightclub. This is a nightclub. It is not a show, it is not a dealership. It's an experience. And everybody here is a huge Dodger fan. They've showed up and they showed out for Alex Vesia. So this is a place. If you're a Dodger fan, or if you're anywhere in the city of la you got to get down to Downy Hundai because they will treat you first class and they will have a party doing it. Seventy five fifty Firestone Boulevard. So thank you to our guy Sam for having us out here. When we continue on Dodger Talk, our final time out. We're gonna take your phone calls at eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy. We'll get you an update on Tyler Glass. Now I have an Otani pitching plan. And also I'm going to set the record straight for Dalton Rushing. This guy's a great guy, great character guy. I don't know why everybody's starting to write stories about him having to change his reputation around the game. David Vassey out at Downy Hyundai with our guy Alex Vesia. We are rolling until eight o'clock right here on a five to seventy LAS Sports seventy.
Speaker 1: Dodger Talk is available on AM five seventy LA sports dot com, hand on the iHeartRadio app. Back to more Dodger Talk with Dodger insider David Vasse.
Speaker 2: All right, David Vasse, wrapping up our final segment of Dodger Talk out here at Downey Hyundai. We still have our giveaways. Don't go anywhere after the show is over. We have ten pairs of tickets to give away to Dodgers Phillies May twenty ninth, which happens to be Alex vesia Bubblehead Night. And also we have two big screen TVs forty three inch TVs Visio TVs to give away as well. And we also have a five hundred dollars gift card to the fourth Quarter a lot of Dodger merch. You see it on that table over there. Thank you to the fourth Quarter for coming out to Downey and being part of this very special broadcast of Dodger Talk. Eight six six nine eight seven two is the phone number. Thanks to Alex Vesia as well for coming out. He's still here taking pictures with little kids, really engaging the fans, and that's really special to have Alex Vesia out here at Downy Hunday seventy five point fifty Firestone Boulevard. And I know at the end of the show it's going to be really rushed, so I just want to thank the people that put this all together, first and foremost Sam, the man that is the leader of Downy Hyundai that has really leaned into being partners with us. And I'll be driving my brand new Ionic nine to Dodger Stadium all season long thanks to my guy Sam at Downey Hunday. Oh yeah, I got a new Carvesia. I'll give you a ride. We could carpool no, no, you're not gonna ride Okay, no problem, no problem. Uh yeah, So new Dodger Blue Ionic nine Hyundai. Thanks to Downey Hunday for hooking that up. Thanks to Sam, and thank you to Da Dave's. He really put together an incredible event here. So thank you to Dave Weis. He is awesome and really appreciate him putting this all together. Thank you to Stacy. Thank you to Betty Betty Day who has converted from an Angel fan to a Dodger fan the last couple of weeks. So good for you to see the light. It's a party with the Dodgers. Betty. You know that things are happening. And thank you to Stacy, David Howard for coming out as well, and thank you to all of you for coming out to hang out and meet Alex Vesia and certainly a great day out here at Downey Hunday. So I know that at the end of the show you're always rushed and you can't get to everybody, So thank you to everybody, and don't forget Tomorrow night, the Dodgers are back in action at Dodger Stadium against the team that right now has the best record in the National League, the Atlanta Braves. So, like I say, it's not just games anymore at Dodger Stadium. They are events and this weekend is going to be really speed. All right, Let's go back out to the phones. Eight sixty six two five seventy is the phone number. Let's start out with Dave in La. Lead us up, Dave, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 5: I've been listening to the Dodgers for over two decades. And Los Angeles is a city of champions, and I am Dodgers all day. And the one question I just can't understand is if we're a city of champions, how are you the voice of the Dodgers for all these years? I just don't understand it, because well, you just don't seem very qualified.
Speaker 2: Wait a minute, I think I recognize that voice. Can you laugh for me, Dave in La? And then it'll confirm if it is who I think it is. Oh, it's Dave Roberts. What do you do with Dave Ray?
Speaker 5: Hey, Dave, I'm on my off Dave right now. And I heard you were having a party in Downey right now, Downey Hyundai. And Sam is a good buddy of mine, so I've never called into Dodger Talk, but I had to say hello, and I wish you and all these Dodger fans a good time. Man.
Speaker 2: How about that? The three time World Series manager for the Dodgers, Dave Roberts, calling into Dodger Talk as we are out here broadcasting from Downey Hyundai. The fans love Alex Vessia, Dave, but they certainly love you. I'm sure you feel a lot of love these days whenever you go out, and the city of LA really showing you the love that you deserve.
Speaker 5: No, I do, and Alice Vessi is one of my favorites as well. And I'm telling you that there's nothing like the Dodger fans. And I know we got a big one with the Lakers tonight, but I just love what you do. I love our fans, and like I said, I love Sam, I love the city of Downey and greater Los Angeles. Well, I just love what you're doing for our fans. And you keep everybody connected, Dave. So I hope you know we got to bring a third championship. We got to go for that three peat this year though we need we need our fans.
Speaker 2: Yeah, who wants that three peat? The manager sett in the tone on Dodger talk for that three peat. Yeah, everybody wants it. Everybody's still hungry. And the way that we connect Dodger players and their manager, Dave Roberts is by showing their true selves. Bessie, it was on earlier people got to see that side of him and Dave. We are going to do it with you every week, a pregame interview with Dave Roberts, and we'll share that after the games as well. So I'm really excited about that. Courtesy of our guys Sam at Downey Hyundai and of course our friends at Wellness Wellness Care.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm looking forward to that. Dave. I think for me is you know, I think people you know speaming manage and get to know a little bit of me as far as pre and postgame, but this will be a it'll be different. So you and I have a conversation once a week, and I just want to give the fans, the listeners more of an inside scoop, a peak behind the curtain. And I think that's what my hope is. You know, it's been eleven years for me managing the Dodgers, so I want to do something special for you, and obviously I've known you for a long time and for our fans as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've known Dave since he played and he's one of the best people you'll ever meet, a guy that you know when you talk about local credibility, Dave Roberts, you have that UCLA playing for the Dodgers. Maury Will's your mentor. It just seems like you're the best fit for this city, for this team, and that's part of the reason why you and Andrew Friedman have been together this long. Marriages don't last as long as you and Andrew Friedman.
Speaker 5: You know what it's what LA is all about, you know, loyalty, consistency and passion. So I know, personally speaking for our whole organization, Andrew in particular, our players in particular, is we just feed off the passion from our fans. And I know you get it every night. Man, you defend our players. You're the voice of the fans, and so you know, and you hear that passion every single night on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Dave, And since I have you on the line, and Dave Roberts has surprised us with the call Mookie Betts has headed out to Oklahoma City for rehab games over the weekend. Do you feel like Dodger fans if they came to a game on one of those four against the Giants, they may see Mookie Betts in the lineup.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, you know, if he's going to go on his rehab assignment, So that's exciting for all Dodgers. So he the plan is, if it goes well, he'll be back joining us on Monday night. So the hope is that we get him for three of them, those four games against the hated Giant.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Baby, we love to hear that. That'll be great. And you know, before you called in, I was going to get into defending my guy, Dalton Rushing. Don't you think it's crazy that articles are being written about how he has to defend his character? I mean, what can you say about Dalton Rushing and just who he is as you've gotten to know him. It feels like it's a little misrepresentative of who he really is. All these stories being and people talking about him.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, Don's a great young kid. He's going to be a great Dodger for a long time, you know. And I like the fire that he plays with. Obviously, you know, when you're in the heat of the moment, there's things that you say and probably you know would love to take back, but it certainly not meant to harm anyone or disrespect anyone. He plays with that fire that I think has made him the player that he is. Maybe at times we all can temper certain things, but he's going to be a great Dodger for a long time time, and certainly a lot of the stuff that's being said about him has been overblown.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there you go, Dave. If anybody else asks you about Dalton Rushing, I'll step in during those media scrums. How about that?
Speaker 5: Feel free too? Thank you very much. I appreciate that, David.
Speaker 2: Hey Dave, I don't know if you know this about me, but I do the infrared sauna at least twice a week.
Speaker 5: Well, i've noticed, man, your skinless good, your weight loss good. So I was wondering if you've found that fountain of you. So, like I said, I've known you for thirty years, So the infrared sauna has got to be the key. I thought it was rest and diet and things like that and hitting the weights, but it's the infrared sauna, I guess.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, I was watching your interview with John Schneider while I was in the infrared sauna today, and I'm just wondering when Schneider told you you actually you were better than the guy asking the questions because you got the best answer out of John Schneider. You asked him when he walked show heo Tani four times intentionally during Game three of that eighteen inning marathon. Was it about him pitching the next day? And when you said in Houston, you were watching Otani and just decided it would be best for him not to lead off in DH and just pitch. I was wondering if you heard John Schneider's answer in your head when you were watching Otani the night before, you know what?
Speaker 5: I was, you know what, and I felt that, you know, it was one of those things that he was on base eight or nine times that game in Game three in the World Series, And I've always wanted to ask him, if I had an opportunity after that game, if that was with some intent behind it, And I think he answered truthfully, and like you said, you never want anybody on base. But I do think that it was a tax on show Hay the next day, and I think it kind of sparked something in me to keep an eye on him and his workload and not try to take for granted and feel that although we think that he is Superman, that he still is Clark Kent and is human at times. And we still got to be mindful because we got a lot of baseball left to play.
Speaker 2: No doubt, and Dave Roberts always has his finger on the pulse, a lot of information that he has that we don't have that goes into his decisions. And can't wait to do this once a week with you.
Speaker 5: Dave.
Speaker 2: Thank you again for calling in. I love I love the surprise, and certainly everybody here in Downey loves Dave Roberts and Downy Hunday loves you very much. Our guy Sam is right here in Avesia, Jersey, and he's starting the wave out here at Downey Hunday for you.
Speaker 5: I love it. Well. Tell us Sam and all those Dodgers Anti said hello, and I'll see them out there at some point sone the summer.
Speaker 2: All right, Dave, thanks a lot. We'll see you tomorrow at Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 5: Take care of Dave. Bye, guys.
Speaker 2: There he goes Dave Roberts, Dave in La trying to surprise us right there, and Dave is going to be brought to us all season long by Downy Hunday and of course our friends at urgentcarekit dot com. Heading into summer without a medical emergency kit is a risk. You've heard Dave talk about it. Be ready with an urgent care kit, say forty five dollars at checkout with the code blue at urgentcare kit dot com slash blue. Urgentcarekit dot com slash blue. So we hit on a couple of topics there that I wanted to get into. As far as Mookie Bets going out on a rehab assignment this weekend, you heard Dave Roberts say, if all goes well Friday and Saturday, you will see Mookie Bets back in the starting lineup on Monday night against the San Francisco Giants. So he just broke news on his first appearance on Dodger Talk while we're out here at Downey Hyundays. So Mookie Bets going to Oklahoma City. Our guy Sam will not go to Oklahoma City. He's staying here in Downey. He'll wait for Mookie at Dodger Stadium on Monday night. So that is great to hear, and I love that Dave Roberts, short and simple, short and sweet, set the record straight on the character of Dalton Rushing, you know, because he's a guy that has a lot of fight in him, a lot of edge in him. And in a day and age where everybody's so offended by players being friends with other players on other teams and not having that competitive spirit. Hey, there we go. We got a guy with a Vessy ipa Benny Boy brew it right there. Hello, there we go. I tasted that beer and I had friends that tasted that beer, and there was nothing left. They righted my fridge. There was nothing left of that VESSI great ipa. So I hope we do it again at Benny Boy Brewing as well. Hey watch out, Sam, Sam might want that beer. Hey, I just want to remind you about John Wooden. We all love John Wooden, and one of his famous sayings was, worry about your character, not your reputation. Your character is who you are. Your reputation is who people think you are. And I think Dalton Rushing needs to put that in his locker because his reputation is not the character of who he is. He's a great kid, and I think it's completely unfair that he's getting this label put on him, that he's some sort of villain. The California Post Star to write about it. The Athletic wrote a big thing on it today. It doesn't need to be written about because it's about players that are upset with his competitiveness on other teams. If it was his own teammates saying that he was a villain, okay, then we would have an issue. Alex Vessi is not saying Dalton Rushing's a villain. He loves Dalton Rushing. He loves the people of Downy out here at Downey Hunday, Right, VESI, you love Dalton Rushing? Just say yes, you do? Shake shake that beard up and down. Yes, he's not a villain. That's right. There we go. He's a multitasking Oh how about this? A young lady and a Dodger bandana with a fifty one Vesia jersey On loving that and she wanted to measure her hands against Vessias. Yeah, that's a great thing. These baseball players, these really good pictures. Their hands are extremely humongous. I don't like to talk about other men's hands. But Vessia's hands are incredibly large, and that's how he's able to throw his slider. So I think that's it. I'm not talking about his hands anymore because it'll get creepy, right, nobody wants that here at Downy Hundai. I'm just trying to explain your hands and how they work with your pitches, and that's it. I'm not talking about your hands anymore, Vessi. Anyway, Dalton Rushing deserves better than what he's gotten. If his teammates had an issue with him, then all of a sudden, I can understand why articles would be written. Of course, it's not great to go viral. That's not what the Dodger's culture is all about. They don't want to give any good answers. They just want to be playing Jane and don't go viral. But I love his edge, I love his competitiveness, and I don't feel like it's in a derogatory way towards other players. I think Freddie Freeman said it best in The Athletic Story that he kind of blacks out during games, which I guess is okay kind of, but you got to be conscious. You got to have conscious awareness when you're on the field, and I think he's learning that, and guys like Alex Vesia, Freddie Freeman, Miguel Rojas, Key Key Hernandez can all help him with that. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Just want to also throw this out there again, as I did after yesterday's game. The Dodgers, if they can, could do Shoho Tani a huge favor by adjusting his start days to Sunday. Sunday games, as you know, are usually one ten, so he could have the rest of Sunday to sleep, to regenerate, and his throat day, his bullpen day would not be until Wednesday. So you can give him all of Sunday, don't hit him on Monday, and then he comes back Tuesday and doesn't I have to throw his bullpen session. If you look at what the Dodgers did to begin the year, they set up his start days to be Wednesday. So the first six weeks of the season, Vessie and the Dodgers have had a lot of Thursdays off. Well that's not the case anymore. So I don't know how they do it or if they can do it, but that's just my suggestion to try to ease the burden. Have his start days on Sunday, and even if it is a nationally televised game, the game's at four o'clock, not seven o'clock, so you can give him basically two and a half days of rest before he really has to step on the gas pedal again and throw his bullpen session two days later. So that's my suggestion. I don't know if anybody will take it. Maybe I'll talk to Dave Roberts about it. I feel like he doesn't want me to bring it up to him. Anyway, there you go, if he's still listening, I just gave it to him, all right. That'll do it for us on Dodger Talk. Thank you to everybody for coming out. Thank you to Alex Vesias for being such a great guy, not only a great pitcher, a back to back World Series champion, but a great person. And that's the reason why this city the fan base responds to him because they could tell how genuine of a person he is, and you could see it today here at Downey Hunday, just how much time he has taken with every person that has waited in line to see him. So thank you to Alex Vessia. Thank you to Dave Roberts. Hey is that Alex Freeland holding the baby that looks like Alex Freeland Vesia? I don't know he got in line. Alex Freeland got in line to meet Vessia. We got a dappel ganger of Alex Freeland out here. Anyway. Thank you to everybody at Downy Hundai. Thank you to our great promotion staff. Thank you to Matt Demiche for doing all the great social media work. He's an MVP again. Thank you to Dave Weis. Thank you to Bert Weiner, who gets a bad rap as well from Petro some money. He has not asked for a piece of food once out here. Oh yeah, there's some street dogs out there. And thank you to our guy DJ Cruz, who does a lot of different things out here at Downy Hunday and of course are masters of ceremonies. Sam. You see Sam with a Vessia jersey on. He's the man that makes Downey Hunday go. And thank you to you for listening. In case you missed any of the show, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app. That's where you can make us a preset and that's where you can stream every Dodger game on the iHeartRadio app. We'll be back with you tomorrow night from Dodgers Stadium. Our coverage begins at six o'clock with Dodgers on Deck and Tim Kate's first Pitch with Rick Monday, Charlie Steiner and Tim Never Tomorrow night at seven to ten. It's a big series, Dodgers Braves, Emmit Sheehan against Chris Sale. So we'll see you out there at Dodgers Stadium tomorrow night. And Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there. This is a great one right here, start it off. That's right. Without the moms, we got nothing. And Alex Vesia, he made everybody's mother's day coming out here to Downey Hunday. There's the gift that keeps giving right there. We'll see Vesia wearing his tomorrow at Dodger Stadium. Thank you to everybody for coming out. We still got those prizes to give away, so don't go anywhere Dodger. Talk back with you tomorrow night after the game. See you