Speaker 1: This is off season Dodger Talk Winter Meetings edit year.
Speaker 2: Now Everyone's favorite Dodger inside it David Basset.
Speaker 1: We are live until eight o'clock tonight on AM five seventy LA Sports, wrapping up the Winter Meetings week in Orlando. And today the Dodgers made it official with Edwin Diaz being at Dodger Stadium. We were there, you heard it live right here on AM five seventy LA Sports and we have a one on one conversation with the new Dodger closer, Timmy Trumpet. Edwin Diaz will join us in our next segment, and coming up at the bottom of the hour, the man himself, the man that pulls all the levers, Andrew Friedman, will join us at the bottom of the hour. Had a chance to sit down with him and really get into how this all came together for Edwin Diaz, and we also so get into Andrew's involvement with the Lakers and how he is balancing his responsibilities of being the president of Baseball Operations with the Dodgers and also lending some help to the Lakers because of course Mark Walter now owns the Lakers and the Dodgers. So we'll get into all of that with Andrew Friedman at the bottom of the hour. Don't expect me to ask him about Trek Scooble. He wouldn't answer. That's not something he can even get close to touching since school Ball is on another team. He's just him or any other person in his position, is not talking about a player that's on another team. And the trade rumors, what I can tell you, and you know, there is something too the thought that the Tigers may trade Schooble. There are many people that I've spoken to in the industry that believe that school Ball will be trade. Whether or not it's to the Dodgers still remains to be seen. My understanding, continuing to try to gather information on all this is that teams are not even sure the Tigers have even made the definitive decision to say, yes, let's trade Trek Scooble. And it's not just the GM of the Tigers that has to be involved in coming to that decision. I'm sure the owner of the Tigers is very much involved. And maybe Scott Harris, the Tigers president of Baseball Operations, is waiting to hear from his owner about whether or not he has the green light to trade Schooble. From what I reported a few days ago remains true from the people I've talked to in baseball that they are asking for a lot for one year of Schooble and don't believe the extension talks. Yes, that would make sense to give the Dodgers or the Mets, or any other team that has what it takes to trade for school bol to give them a three or four day window. Usually it's twenty four to four I would say forty eight to seventy two hours that teams that agree on a trade and want to work out an extension with the player that's coming, then you have forty eight to seventy two hours after you acquire that player, or not acquire them, but agree to work out an extension. I don't see Trek Scooble agreeing to an extension. His agent, Scott Boris, is very much in favor of taking all his clients to the open market, and that includes Trek Schouoble. There are certain exceptions, but for the most part, whether Schoolbl's traded to the Dodgers, the Mets, the Pirates, or remains with the Tigers, he will be a free agent. He will be on the open market at the end of the year, in my opinion. And I don't see this being anything more than a one year rental right now for Terrek Scooble. I just don't see it. And the one thing I could tell you, like I mentioned, they are asking for as much as the Nationals received from the Padres for two years of control of Juan Soto. That's what I've been told. And nothing is imminent. The Tigers are not on the verge of trading school ball right now, even though Pingalore from KTLA five was in the lobby just you know, selfing it up, saying that it's happening. You know, this is happening any moment now it's happening. No, not any moment, it's not happening. And look, he may be traded to the Dodgers, he may be traded to the Mets, but it's not happening right now. And look, what would you give up for Terrek Scuoble. I would. I would say that Tyler Glass now would definitely be a guy in that deal. I wouldn't say it's too far of a reach to say, you know, Emi Shean, maybe you know I Honestly, I don't really want to get into names because I don't know any of the names that may have been discussed, but it does make sense. A name that would be in there or discussed at the very least is Tyler Glass. Now it makes a lot of sense if his name was discussed. And I could tell you that Dodgers and Tigers are talking, I could tell you that the Tigers are talking to a few other teams as well, but nothing is close to happening for Trek Scuoble right now. And look, the reality is, ever since Andrew Freeman took over, and more importantly, Mark Walter has been the owner of the Dodgers, the Dodgers have been involved in every big name. Whether or not they decide to pull the trigger and sign that player or trade for that player, They're always going to be involved in these blue chip players, whether it's Kyle Tucker or Trek Skoubol, or Yamamoto or Otani. The list goes on and on. So it shouldn't be a surprise to anybody that, since the Tigers are listening to offers, that the Dodgers are one of those teams. And what it comes down to, like I mentioned on Wednesday Night. Is not about payroll. Like I said, an extension is very unlikely. What this is is a testament to Andrew Friedman and the infrastructure he has built with his scouting department and his player development department to be able to scout, draft, and develop players that the Tigers are actual interested in acquiring if they were to trade a schoob bl has nothing to do with three hundred and fifty million dollar payroll. That's not in play here. And I feel like that gets really lost with everybody being so jealous and envious of the Dodgers and how they're able to sign an Otani, Sana Yamamoto, sign a Freddie Freeman. Their player development has been such a huge part to their sustained success to not only help them in a Dodger uniform, but also be used as trade capital for really good players. So keep that in mind and remind all your Dodger hater friends that that's a big part of their success. And when it comes to, you know, any trade discussions with the Tigers or the Cardinals, it comes down to the Dodgers having really good young players on top of having the financial wherewithal to go out and sign the best of the best, and to me, they are in a great position to make trades to get impact players. Whether it is Jaron Duran, whether it is Brendan Donovan, whether it is Trek Schouble. It's because they have players that other teams covet, that they drafted and developed or acquired in other trades. That's what it comes down to. All Right, We're gonna take a time out here on Dodger Talk. When we come back, your phone calls, we have three lines open eight six six nine, eight seven two, five seventy you'll hear my conversation with Edwin Diaz. Right around the corner, and at the bottom of the hour, the man himself, Andrew Friedman, will join us Dodger Talk. David Vasse wrapping up a busy week in baseball until eight o'clock right here on a five to seventy LA Sports. Oh yeah, Edwin Diaz is a Los Angeles Dodger. He wants to help bring a three pete to LA. Today was the press conference he made it official. Edwin Diaz wearing number three as a Dodger because of course, number thirty nine has been retired since the seventies when the Dodgers retired Roy Campanella's number thirty nine, the three time MVP Hall of Famer thirty nine has been taken. So Edwin Diaz said he chose number three because he has three boys, so hey, out of the numbers that were available, three was the one that he chose. And it's going to be electric at Dodgers Stadium when Edwin Diaz comes running out of those gates at Dodgers Stadium to Timmy Trumpet, can't wait to share the conversation with you. We do have time for phone calls at eight sixty six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy And speaking of Edwin Diaz, I have no doubts. Keiy A Hernandez was a big part of Edwin Diaz feeling comfortable to sign with the Dodgers and I am going to be with Key k Hernandez tomorrow in the City of Commerce at the Citadel Outlets, specifically the Polo Ralph Lauren Experience, the Polo Ralf Lauren Holiday Experience. Keik is going to be out there along with the Polo Bear and they're going to be taking festive photos out there. No autographs for Keik. We are going to interview keyk Hernandez in front of the crowd there at the Citadel in front of the Polo Ralph Lauren store, and we will share that conversation with you on our next Dodger Talk, which will be on Tuesday night at seven o'clock. So, keyk Hernandez will be our guest tomorrow at the Polo Ralph Lauren Holiday Experience. Kik will be out there from two to three o'clock taking photos. I'll be out there as well at one o'clock. So come out and say hi and see Key Hernandez. It should be fun. And I know he's excited that a fellow Puerto Rican as good as Edwin Diaz is is on the Dodgers. And Edwin diaz Is contract with the Dodgers is looking better and better every day with the crazy relief market. Now, Edwin Diaz, who is arguably the best closer in baseball, three years sixty nine million dollars with the Dodgers. Today, the Blue Jay signed Tyler Rodgers for three years and thirty seven million dollars. Yesterday Robert Suarez agreed with the Braves for a three year, forty five million dollar contract, and of course May have triggered all this. Edwin Diaz to the Dodgers, Devin Williams signing with the Mets for three years and fifty one million dollars. If you're telling me which one of these relievers I want for three years, it's Edwin Diaz, thirty one years old, still dominant. The Dodgers. I'm not gonna say got a bargain, but certainly they were the ones that I would say targeted the right guy and paid basically the same for a much better reliever than what the Blue Jays are getting in Rogers, what the Mets are getting in Devin Williams. Robert Suarez led the league in saves last year, but he's thirty four years old, going on thirty five. Edwin Diaz only thirty one years old. All right, I was out there at Dodgers Stadium earlier today, had a chance to catch up with Edwin Diaz. Here was our conversation. All right. Last year I went to go see Edwin Diaz in the Mets clubhouse, and here he is in a Dodger uniform after signing making it official today. Welcome to Los Angeles. And does it feel real now?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it feels real you know, and finally I got Doya's uniforms. I'm really happy the way here and let's go win.
Speaker 1: How did all this come about?
Speaker 3: Edwin?
Speaker 1: When did you know that you wanted to sign with the Dodgers?
Speaker 2: You know, everything went quick. You know, last week we was talking to teams and the lawyers show up and they went aggressive to me. You know, I like that, I like, I like I like how they approached me. And the other day, you know, I'm here with the Doyers. I'm really happy to be here.
Speaker 1: Was that the biggest part you felt wanted by the Dodgers?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they show show a lot of attraction to me that they was asking, they was calling. They was you know, putting some pressure to they we want you and you know I want to win. So this opportunity to be here was what's nice? Can wait to start the season.
Speaker 1: Was part of this. He felt disrespected. Did you feel disrespected by anybody in New York that made you say, you know what, maybe it is time to change.
Speaker 2: No? No, they threw me great. They got a really good organization. You know, they people understand this is a business.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: The other day, you know place it's baseball. So I just choose that because you know, I think we got a really good opportunity to win, you know, and we miss all my guys in New York, coaching, ownership, players, everybody. But now I'm here, can't wait to start season and win games.
Speaker 1: And when I find it very hard to believe that when you were trying to find out more about the Dodgers, that you didn't speak to Key a Hernandez. How much the Key k Hernandez play into you saying, yeah, the Dodgers is for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he called me and started talking to him. I was asking about the family, you know, I know in the clubhouse around everybody would be fine. I want my family to feel feel good too. I feel tired with the organization. And he told me great things about the organization, ownership, how they treat the family, and that'll make it sOAZ.
Speaker 1: That's the biggest thing. You have three kids, three boys, you said, that's why you chose number three. That has got to be a big factor. How teams treat families.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I heard they three family. It's really really good here, you know. And you know, at the end of the day, I want my family to feel country. With my family feel country, well, I'm there, hoppy, I would be happy, and I think I can't perform better. So knowing my family would be in a good position here, that's made the decision easier.
Speaker 1: Edwin Diaz is our guest. He is officially a Dodger, and can you just make this official right now? Timmy Trumpet is staying with you, coming from New York to Los Angeles, the same walkout song.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I bring, I bring Timmy. We made to the lawyer, so we'll be the same walks. Can't wait to come in the game first, the first game of the season, get the safe with Tommy Trumpet.
Speaker 1: Hey, you look great in a Dodger uniform. Congratulations and can't wait to see you come out in the ninth inning at Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you. I can't wait to start the season. Help this shim to win another championship.
Speaker 1: What a great guy, Edwin Diaz and certainly very excited to be in Los Angeles with the Dodgers and Timmy Trumpet is coming to Dodger Stadium. You know, my son's ten years old, right, he's starting to get into baseball. He kind of knows now what dad does, and he collects baseball cards, so he's starting to get into it. Plays little league and when I let him know the Dodgers signed Edwin Diaz and let him hear Timmy Trumpet. My wife was taking him to school a couple of days ago, and as they were pulling into the parking lot, he said, roll down all the windows and play it loud. Play Timmy Trumpet loud. As they pulled into the school parking lot. I think my twelve year old daughter, seventh grader, was a little embarrassed that Timmy Trumpet was blaring from the family car as they pulled into the school parking lot. But everybody's excited. Everybody wants to be there in the ninth inning when Edwin Diaz comes out for a save, it's gonna be It's gonna be electric. It's gonna be a scene at Dodgers Stadium. And like I have said the last few years, and especially since they signed show hey Otani, a Dodger game is not just a game anymore. It's an event, and he's adding to the event. Let's go out to Orange County. Dominic. You're on Dodger Talk with David Vasse. How you doing, Dominic?
Speaker 4: Hi, David I am doing awesome. I'm just hearing you about the whole car and you know, going into the school partially a lot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I just want.
Speaker 4: To say that I am in Orange County. That's exactly what I did. When I was on my bike. I got my speaker and I had I had to I just had to blast that song. And all the Angel fans were already like, oh damn, it emails already, and I'm like, yeah.
Speaker 1: Hey, it's catchy. I got a catchy Oh.
Speaker 3: My god, it is addictive.
Speaker 4: It is addictive at that point, it is catchy, addictive, it's everything. I got a question for you, and a lot of fans are kind of a little bit decisive on this question, but I wanted to ask about having a horn for home runs and when we win a game at Dodger Stadium. I've been holding this question off for a while now, but I wanted to tell you now because I've noticed several baseball teams within the National League West have have a horn except for Arizona and the Dodgers, and then Seattle has a horn, The Blue Jays have a horn, DC has a horn, and then the Rays have a horn. The list goes on but I just wanted to ask your opinion on it. In my family horn device.
Speaker 1: Kind of horn, like a fog horn or a hockey horn. I mean, I was not expecting this type of question. You're talking about a horn for what when they win? And that's not really LA. That's not really LA to me.
Speaker 4: Right, And that's what my uncle kind of sort of says, like, I don't think we need a horn and excuse me, sorry, we got enough.
Speaker 1: We we love LA. After every win Dominic, keep playing Timmy trumpet. I love that idea. Keep playing it on the bike. No horn, Sorry, I'm out on the horn. If you want a horn, listen to Petros to Money. They play a horn like every other segment. I mean, come on, really, I guess it's the off seasons and the Dodgers have won back to back World Series Championships, so there's not really much to complain about. So you got these these ideas. Hey, it's an idea. It's an idea, but the Dodgers are originators. They're not going to copycat other teams in the NL West. And like I said, uh, Dodgers stadiums in downtown LA. It's not like it's right on the wharf in San Pedro. I mean they're not gonna be there's no horn that needs to be played anyway. We're gonna take a time out here on Dodger Talk. If you want to chime in. I mean we could play GM like Brian Cranston did. Who would you include? Who would you be willing to include? For trek Scubale trade? Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number the man that is the one that's actually making the trades. Andrew Friedman will join us next. You'll hear our conversation on a five to seventy LA Sports Dodger Talk until eight o'clock. Welcome back to Dodger Talk. We are on until eight o'clock tonight here on AM five to seventy LA Sports. And Andrew Friedman has made it back from Orlando today the introductory press conference with Edwin Diaz and Andrew.
Speaker 5: Edwin abby a work ethic and he really wants to win. You saw it today, We've seen it over the years with his willingness to come in in the fourth inning, fifth inning, sixth inning to try to you know, when we were beating the Mets last year in the CS he would come in early to try to stop the bleeding, just to give them a chance to come back. And last weekend of the year this year against the Marlins, that Sunday game, which was a must win for them coming in in the fourth, just the selflessness to win. And it fits in so well with so many of our guys. So the talent fits really well. The human what kind of worker he is, how much he cares also works fits really well.
Speaker 1: When did you believe you had a very good chance of signing Das.
Speaker 5: You know, obviously he was top of our list coming into the off season, but just thought the chances were pretty remote, so it didn't spend a ton of time other than express interest. We have a lot of interests, so we kind of kept in touch with them, but all the while just thinking, hey, the likelihood of this is pretty low. Then when the Mets signed Devin Williams five minutes later, I called the agent and and there was more of an opening than I had since before, which gave us some encouragement, but still felt like it's unlikely, so putting an offer that night or maybe the next night, and then don't really hear anything until that Saturday, right before the winter meetings and they give us some feedback, and so we started talking Sunday into Monday, and still all along, I'm like, I just you know, it's gonna be hard for him to cut the cord with New or can't see New York letting them go. But through the conversations Monday night, late Monday night into Tuesday morning, felt like the chances were actually way better than I was giving credit for. And then we got into how do we close this deal mode? And fortunately we're able to push it across.
Speaker 1: At this point, you've built back to back World Series championships, you're going for three pete At this point in your position, when you're signing players and them deciding whether or not they are going to sign with the Dodgers, like Diaz, doesn't it say something about the player that they want in on this And conversely for players that shy away from it, doesn't it say something about them? Yeah?
Speaker 5: I think there's a real, you know, kind of selection bias that we get some insights into guys that we haven't had before as players. Because there's a lot that comes with this, and you have fifty plus thousand people every night, feel that responsibility there's the highest of expectations, and so it's not for everybody, and the people who it's not we'd rather not sign and so hopefully we're able to kind of sift through that. But I think a lot of it also is that in our conversations with guys this winner, it's conveying how hungry we are to do it again, because I think there would be some concern of Okay, they've won. No, okay, they've won twice in a row, does that mean they're going to put their feet up and hope for the best. So it's conveying and making sure to sell that point of just how committed we are to doing everything we can to win again in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 1: What do you believe is next for you this offseason? Do you want to add more as far as trying to help your position player group? What do you see in the near future.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think adding a bat would be great, and it would just take some pressure off some of our younger guys. That being said, things happen over the course of the season and getting our younger guys sim at bats is going to be really important. Things play out in that way. But I think just building out the depth more. Adding a really interesting kind of position player that fits into our group really well is very high on the list.
Speaker 1: How much do you look at some of your guys that have put so much of their body through it the last couple of years and are starting to get to their mid thirties and late thirties. How much is that on the forefront of your mind to try to supplement with some younger guys.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, I think there's looking at it in a couple different ways. I mean, if you're just focused on twenty twenty six, I'm not that worried about it. It's so important to us who we sign a long term deal with in that we know that we are going to get everything out of that player. So are gonna work really hard over the winter. They're gonna compete and they're gonna lay it out on the line to try to win. And we've got a whole clubhouse of guys that are playing for each other, they're playing for this city, that are playing for their legacy, that are playing to create a dynasty. And it is really hard to win back to back, and it takes that mentality to do it, and that mentality is still really strong. So for us, it's about adding guys that can add to that. But the core in the group we have in place, we feel like is really strong.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you brought that up because Max Munsey, Hey, you might have a future in this business. Hey, how how have you celebrated since the end of the World Series. I haven't seen you since the parade? Has there been much of a victory lap for Andrew Friedman? Did your wife throw you a party at the house? I mean, what's going on?
Speaker 5: The celebration? The parade itself was incredible, just both years. That day is so fulfilling and incredibly impactful, and it really is, like it sounds cheesy, but it's like fuel to get back there. It really is. That's how special that day is. The energy, the joy, you can feel it, and it's something that really is fuel to do everything we can to get back to it. But we got to celebrate by turning around and going to the gm ME and you know, no real time for us on our end and other teams head start preparing for the winner, you know, but I can't complain much because our goal is to have the least amount of time to prepare. So we've been playing catch up and just trying to make sure that we're not missing opportunities, and so it's been right back at it now. I would love to knock out a few of the things that we'd like to and have a little break going into spring training, but we'll see.
Speaker 1: We always ask the question about what keeps players hungry. You've had an incredible career, You've accomplished more things than some have. After being out of the game for ten years now, back to back World Series championships, how do you stay hungry? And do you ever feel like I've done it all? Do I need a new challenge?
Speaker 5: No? I mean I think for us winning is so incredibly difficult. It's so fulfilling, and we feel an immense pressure from our fans. What they pour into us is unprecedented and clearing four million this year, the passion that this city has for this team makes us feel a great sense of responsibility to return it and to be as good as we can possibly be. And we've talked about this a lot, but that goal hard when you're mired in it to have appreciation. But for us to look back after I get fired, things change whatever, to look back and say that was a golden era of Dodgers baseball, and so that is a very real motivating factor for us, is you know, nineteen eighty eight to twenty twenty was a long time and to do everything we can to keep pouring in and keep this momentum going and hopefully add you know, more and more up there and have to clear out room for the banners. But I think just the sense of responsibility we have is a very real driving factor.
Speaker 1: All right. So that's good news for Dodger fans. Andrew Friedman's not going anywhere. But if you're a Dodger fan, you're likely a Laker fan. And there was the news that you're helping out the Lakers a little bit. So what's the role, what's the balance for you between these two incredible franchises.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I've got a pretty full time job as is. I think it's more we're all under you know, Mark Walters twg umbrella, and it's about helping one another and as things are coming up and we can be a resource for one another. It's not often that you're able to do that and kind of lean on other teams and other sports. You know, there's sharing of information of how we do our scouting process or how they do or how we've set up certain systems or them. You know, have spent some real time with you know, Rob and his team, and you know they've done a great job, gotten off to a great start. But I think it's more just us all being a resource for one another and you know, helping anything that's kind of under that TWG umbrella to be as good as it can be.
Speaker 1: So the Lakers are basically your side hustle. Hey, thanks a lot for the time. It's great catching up with you, and look forward to doing this a few more times during the off season because you're always you're always big game hunting, so we'll see you soon.
Speaker 5: You as well. And I'm just glad because I was concerned that after you landed the Brian Cranston interview that you wouldn't slum it with me anymore. So I'm just happy that you're still slumming it.
Speaker 1: Have you heard Cranston's trade ideas like this guy's plugged into your minor league system all the way in London.
Speaker 5: That's great. I haven't heard it yet, but I did see a couple fans point out that his knowledge of some of our deeper minor league guys. Was impressive.
Speaker 1: And you heard about Elizabeth Olsen having a little bit of a crush on me as well. I mean she's only a human, all right, I'll take that. Thanks a lot for the time. Great to see you, and happy holidays.
Speaker 5: Andy you thanks Dave.
Speaker 1: Hey there he is Andrew Friedman. Appreciate his time. It was great having a chance to sit down with him, a quiet moment to really dive into a few different things. And I guess he has been paying attention Brian Cranston on the show Monday Night, Close it Out with Andrew Freeman on Friday Night Andrew Freeman and Edwin Diez. And yeah, I guess some fans out there are a little surprised that Brian Cranston is not just a superficial fan, he actually knows his stuff. So in case you missed that interview, you can find it on a five seventies YouTube page. And also if you're just taking a walk or working out or driving, you could find that interview on the iHeartRadio app and make Dodger Talk a number one preset. So appreciate Andrew acknowledging my ties to Hollywood and still have not met Elizabeth Olsen. I think Spectrum is trying to put something in the works for us to meet finally during the season at Dodgers Stadium, So that would be great one day to meet her and appreciate her concern over the treatment of Dodger players towards me. And speaking of that, I'll be with Key g a Hernandez tomorrow at two o'clock at the Citadel in the City of Commerce at the Polo Ralph Laurence Store, So come out and say hi. Key k. A will be taking photos from two to three o'clock in a holiday experience type setting, and we're gonna do an interview out there, So hopefully you're there for Kei k and we will share that conversation with you on Tuesday night here on Dodger Talk. But going back to what Andrew Freeman had to say, Number One, he has not talked about what he's doing with the Lakers publicly on the record before. Right now, that's the first time he's talked about that, and it makes sense. It's not like he's running the Lakers or trying to take Rob Polinka's job. Andrew Friedman was at the forefront of just a lot of analytics and infrastructure building, not only with the Rays, but when he got to the Dodgers. So it makes sense that Mark Walter wants to have that type of infrastructure with his end the Lakers. So that's what Andrew's talking about. And I thought it was really candid his answer about what he's doing with the Lakers, and I think it's great news that he still feels the challenge of wanting to win a World Series with the Dodgers, even after back to back World Series championships, even after being to the World Series five times in the last nine years, Andrew Freeman's been the biggest I mean, he inherited really good players in a system, but he has taken it to the next level and being able to court and sign Shohei Otani and Yamamoto, along with being opportunistic and having the team in the right spot to acquire Mookie Bets to sign Freddie Freeman. I mean, he is the best in Major League Baseball. I also thought it was very candid on just how the timeline of events led up to the Dodgers signing Edwin Diaz. As I mentioned earlier in the week, he just confirmed it the Dodgers seesed the opportunity of the Mets prioritizing Devin Williams over Edwin Diaz. It's pretty obvious David Stearns did not want Diaz as much as Devin Williams. He did not want Pete Alonzo back. That was pretty clear, and he traded away Brandon Nimo, So it seems like he wanted to start fresh with the new core of players. And Andrew Friedman seized on that. And you heard what he said the same night or the next night. He was putting the full core press on Edwin Diaz to sign with the Dodgers. So a great conversation in case you missed any of it. I mean, that is as candid as you are going to hear Andrew Friedman at this time of the year. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Culver City, Kevin. I've left you on hold a couple of times this week. Thanks for hanging in there with me.
Speaker 3: What's up, Dan? God is good? I appreciate you, man. I'm glad you're having a wonderful offseason. Man, You're you're becoming a Mookie Bets with all your interviews. I'm gonna have to call you a Seacrest. I mean, you're doing your tame though. I got got it, I got I got two requests. I need you to host the Dodger Talk with Mookie Bets and one with Elizabeth Olsen. I think that'd be great, one Dodger Talk with each Becauseki's Mooki's getting big on us now. Man, he's a big star. Now you know he's got the chops.
Speaker 1: Saw that he's still grounded.
Speaker 3: Still no, no, no, he's good. He's good. I love what he's doing about this World Series. I want to talk about my guy, Dave Roberts, my former castmate, becoming Nelly on MTV. We run the show together. Dave hosted me at Dodger Stadium and showed me around. I want to give him some kudos in this game. His moves won the World Series first of all, ninety nine out of one hundred managers would have battered for Mickey in that situation with Otani behind him, he kept him in the game. Miggi Ross was a season hitter in that situation, and I think MOOKI I think I think Otani being on deck impacted Toronto's closer because he saw O'tani. He's thinking, I can't walk Miggi with Otani coming up and lose this game and lose this lead. So he throws him a fastball down the middle of the set of a ball and Miggi had the clutch hit of all clutch hits to lay it down, hit it right on the barrel and hit out the ballpark. That is textbook clutch hitting. You got to give it to Meggy and that Miggi ross in that situation. And then Dave Roberts taking out even and putting in our boy who made I think the catch is the best catching World Series hit history. Pie has that that move to put him in and he makes the game changing catch just says everything about Dave Roberts. So if we talk about this this dynasty, this was Dave Roberts World Series that he won as a manager as well, And just that whole game I called my shots. You gotta give me credit. You can play on Dodgers Talk. I said we're gonna win Game six and seven. I called it here on Dodger Talk. I never waivered, and I believed in these guys, and I'm telling you right now, this is the best run I've ever seen for a baseball team to have. We are a dynasty, and getting Edwin Diaz just says everything. We are culture builders. Everybody wants to be a part of this culture here and now we got Edwin Das, we got our closer when he comes in the ninth and it game's over. Now we're fully loaded and we're ready to go, and it's just it's just great to see. I'm a great interview ed when that's the guy who I want to the number one free agent. I wanted was for us to show up that closer. Now we could put our setup man, Canna Scott in the set a position where he's better and let Edwin Diaz handle the closer, and I think we'll be off and running. I really believe that great.
Speaker 1: That was like a week. That was like a week worth of hot takes from you that I've left you on hold all week, and you just dumped all of it on us in about a three minute monologue right there. So love you, Kevin, loved the passion, and thank you for the phone call, and we'll talk to you next week. Well, a lot to unpack from Kevin and Culver City Number one I was surprised that anybody suggested that Dave Roberts should have pinched it for Miguel Rojas in that situation in Game seven. I would have considered it if there was a better option, but there wasn't. Who was he going to pinch it for Miguel Rojas. It's not Kim. You're not going to have Kim pinch it for Rojas. Justin Dean, I'm not having him come off the bench. So you tell me who was going to pinch it. That was a better option than Miguel Rojas. That never even entered my mind. That was not even an option because there was no better option on the bench. And I feel like that's something the Dodgers are going to try to incorporate throughout the regular season. Rojas is back for one more year. I fully expect keyk a Hernandez to be back as well. But when you fill in that bench, you've got to be able to have some younger guys start to be able to grow as the season goes along to be an option for Dave Roberts in October. So right now, you got Miguel Rojas, you got Dalton Rushing, and you got Alex call as your bench, and Key a Hernandez is going to be back during the summer at some point. We'll see what transpires between now and spring training how it shakes out. But obviously that's something that Andrew Freeman touched on that he does want to get some of these younger guys at bats so they can grow into being the next Key k a Hernandez or the next Jack Peterson. I mean, those guys didn't just show up and all of a sudden become Key a Hernandez. It took him a couple of years to become that guy. And he has said this repeatedly that the day of Game five of the twenty seventeen NLCS he started to visualize and kind of flip the switch mentally to be able to become this October performer. So I have no doubts Keik Hernandez is going to be back, but the reality is he's not going to be able to start the season. And right now you can't put any players on the sixty day IL. So the Dodgers are being smart about managing their forty man roster. They're at thirty nine right now and are going to be you know, they have pieces to trade. They're starting to get into a forty man roster crunch to a certain extent, so I have no doubts they are eyeing a couple of trades where they could pull off an impact player because they have so many good young players. And in case you missed it earlier today, the Dodgers did claim defensive specialist from the Braves, Mike Siani. He's an outfielder that's really good defensively. And the reason why I bring that up is because my good friend, our good friend here at AM five seventy LA Sports Mark Goubazaw is a Philly guy and actually has a scholarship at his old high school, Penn Charter, and Mike Siani was actually a beneficiary of the Mark Gubazaw Scholarship at Penn Charter High School. It helps families and kids that want to go to this high school that don't have the financial means. It's kind of a pricey, expensive, you know, Harvard Westlake type of school. The goubaza Scholarship is named after Mark's dad, Anthony, and Mike Sianni, the newest Dodger, benefited from that. So very cool Mark Gubazaw, who loves Christmas more than Buddy the Elf. All right, that'll do it for us tonight on Dodger Talk. In case you missed our conversations with Andrew Friedman or Edwin Diaz, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app. We will see you tomorrow at the Ralph Lauren store at the Citadel Outlets and Commerce. Keyk Hernandez will be there at two o'clock. I'll be out there at one o'clock. We'll be interviewing keyk KEIK will be taking photos at the Holiday Experience at Polo Ralph Lauren from two to three o'clock. So hope to see you out there tomorrow, and we'll share that conversation with Kik with you on our next Dodger Talk show, which will be on Tuesday night at seven o'clock. Hope you have a great weekend. Can't wait to see you tomorrow. Can't wait to see Key k. Thanks to Ronnie Fascio and we will talk to you tomorrow from Polo Ralph Lauren at the Citadel Outlets and Commerce. Have a great rest of your Friday, Be safe, see you