Speaker 1: All come on back.
Speaker 2: Before you know it, they'll be back on the field at Camelback Ranch.
Speaker 3: Why can't this be spring training?
Speaker 2: But our coverage of the blue never stops a sports This is off season Dodger Talk. Get in on the show by calling eight six six seven four hashtag Dodger Talk and now your host, David Basse.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Dodger Talk.
Speaker 4: David Vasse with you until eight o'clock tonight here on a five to seventy LA Sports and we have a great show for you tonight. Sometimes it just works out this way some nights where we don't have a guest, or we have one guest as the centerpiece to the hour, but sometimes they all come crawling back on the same night. Well, one guy, Chris Taylor is going to join us. He did not crawl back. I wanted to help him out and make you aware of his third annual CT Plunge, which is happening again at the Manhattan Beach Pier on Sunday morning, February first, for a great cause, pediatric cancer Near and dear to Chris Taylor and his wife Mary's Hart, because obviously they want to help the kids and want to help those kids that are bad only cancer. So great cause you can register on Chris Taylor's Instagram. He has the link in his bio. But my guy Joe Kelly, who is on the world tour, who said he has not retired, he has just decided to stop playing baseball, is going to join us at the bottom of the hour. Chris Taylor in fifteen minutes and Joe Kelly at the bottom of the hour. So a very heavy interview show tonight here on Dodger Talk. And look like I said, sometimes that happens and other times you know, it's all about you. But we may have some time for phone calls at eight sixty six nine, eight seven, two, five seventy if we can't get to you tonight. We have three shows next week, and don't forget, we have a show a week from Saturday. That's right, a Saturday Dodger Talk from Dodger Fest at Dodger Stadium is happening on January thirty first, from ten to one. We will be broadcasting live from Dodger Stadium. And if you want tickets, which you should and to be there, go to Dodgers dot com slash Dodgerfest for all the great experiences the Dodgers will be having out there at Dodger Fest. Don't forget, Cactus League play is right around the corner. The first game for the Dodgers is going to be on February twenty first in Tempe, Arizona, against the Angels. We will carry it live right here on Dodgers Radio AM five to seventy LA Sports and the voices of Spring Training Baseball Rick Monday and Tim Neverett will have the call.
Speaker 1: And then on Opening Day at.
Speaker 4: Dodger STATEUM March twenty sixth against the Arizona Diamondbacks. That's a nationally televised game on their new broadcast partner, Major League Baseball's new broadcast partner, Peacock. So the game time for opening day a little bit different. Five point forty ish opening Day, so it should be special to celebrate the back to back World Series champions and to hoist another flag out there in center field and more talk, more talk about you know, the Dodgers, they're out of control. Other teams can't compete. You remember this time last year, everybody said the Dodgers were going to break the Mariners record of one hundred and sixteen wins. They were going to blow by it when one hundred and twenty games. Well, it turned out the Dodgers won ninety three games, won the NLS by only three games. It was the Milwaukee Brewers that had the best record in the National League, it was the Phillies that had the second best record in the National League, and the Dodgers had the third best record at ninety three wins. So again, this time last year, there was such an overreaction to what the Dodgers were doing to try to be better, to try to win the World Series. Again and again, the voices are getting louder and louder of overreaction and emotional people from basically that live in small markets. Saint Louis, Kansas City, you know, Saint Louis, I have news for you. The owner demolished the old Busch Stadium. It was a parking lot. They built that beautiful, brand new Bush Stadium, and in that parking lot, over the course of the last I don't know, ten years, they have built kind of like an la live in that parking lot. And the owner of the Cardinals owns all that restaurants, drinking places. He is getting all that revenue. Why are the Cardinals rebuilding. Are the Cardinals all of a sudden baseball poor. No, it's just the owners prerogative not to reinvest in the team. So once again, don't point the finger at the Dodgers, because the Dodgers used to have an owner that didn't want to invest in the team. They wanted to invest in their houses, in their limo drivers, and everything else except the team. We know all about that. It wasn't that long ago, only fifteen years ago, sixteen years ago, that Frank McCort bankrupt the Dodgers. So we know how much passion there is for Dodger baseball. And if you give any fan base a reason to come to the game, they will be yours. They will be eating out the palm of your hand. That's with a It's not just la. The Dodgers are where they always should have been, at the level of the Yankees and the Red Sox to be able to go out there and be aggressive in free agency. Now, it wasn't the Dodgers. I'll say it again, it wasn't the Dodgers that offered Kyle Tucker this short term, fifty five million dollar contract. That was the Mets, and the Dodgers said all right, how about sixty? And he said yes for a number of different reasons. And in case you missed our show two nights ago, you should go back and listen to our interview with Kyle Tucker. It'll tell you that this guy does not want to be at the forefront center of attention. And I don't believe he would have done well in New York with that kind of pressure, even with Juan Soto there.
Speaker 1: He is going to.
Speaker 4: Blend in here in Los Angeles and he is going to be you know, I believe the Dodgers are going to bring out the best in him, and Dave Roberts actually set it where he wants to bring out even more out of Kyle Tucker to be better defensively, be a better base runner, be a better hitter, and we'll get to where Kyle Tucker should hit in the lineup in just a moment. But you know, going back to this overreaction amongst baseball people that are saying, now this is going to trigger his salary cap It shouldn't. Like I mentioned two nights ago, Scott boris incredibly the voice of reason saying what I have maintained that the Dodgers have a megastar who signed the most unique contract to allow the Dodgers to make millions upon millions in endorsement and sponsorship and also be allowed to go out and sign more players to surround O Tani because of the unique deferred contract. That's all the Dodgers are guilty of. There's nothing in the rules that the Dodgers couldn't do that. Out there in DeVos, Switzerland, the DeVos Conference, one of the Dodgers' main owners, Todd Bowley, spoke publicly for the first time with Sportico about how baseball is freaking out over what the Dodgers are doing. And Mark Walter and Todd Bowley don't really make public comments too often about the Dodgers, but here was Todd at the DeVos Convention conference out there in Switzerland.
Speaker 5: Ultimately, you want really big teams that are really pulling the league forward, and I think that there's just going to have to be a little bit of teeth gnashing around how it moves forward.
Speaker 6: But if somebody does point the figure the Dodgers and say it's a problem for baseball, you say, what, the.
Speaker 5: Yankees have twenty seven World titles, and you know, we're you know, roughly twenty behind. So I think that the facts are that you know, baseball has Ultimately you want really big teams that are really pulling the league forward.
Speaker 4: That's the reality of it. You need big market teams to pull these major sports through. The NFL is so unique, it's not a regional sport. But you need the Lakers and Celtics in the Knicks in the NBA. You need the Dodgers, the Yankees, the Red Sox, the Mets, the Cubs to be players in some way or some form, to give some drama, to give some talking points to all of us to talk about and keep the sport relevant. And the last two years of Baseball and World Series has put Baseball in the conversation above the NBA. That hasn't happened in a long time. And I firmly believe it's about the Dodgers. It's about the Dodgers versus the Yankees. In twenty four, Otani and Judge being in the same World Series for the first time ever, Baseball had their two biggest stars in the World Series. I mean, that's like having Magic and Bird, having the Celtics with Garnett and Kobe in in the finals. The Dodgers are good for baseball. What they're doing is good for the sport. And oh, by the way, they are making the other teams a lot of money. Eight six, six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy is the phone number. All right, let's get to where Kyle Tucker is going to hit in the lineup. I thought it was hilarious when you hear some of these talking heads. Oh, I got the lineup here, Kyle Tucker's going to hit sixth. Really, the guy they just paid sixty million dollars annually to is going to hit sixth. Dave Roberts put a stop to that pretty quickly two days ago.
Speaker 7: Kyle's in the in the hot box, right in the hopper right now. So I think for me, I was talking to Gomer and Andrew just recently, and it's just fun to kind of think about, you know, where Kyle's going to hit in the lineup, and obviously he'll be in right field, and Tao's excited about playing left field. You know, he'll be in the top third. I don't want you guys to hold me to it right now, but you know, second or third seems to make sense.
Speaker 1: It makes so much sense. I never.
Speaker 4: I was laughing when I heard people say I think he's going to hit sixth, and even MLB dot Com had some projected lineup where they said he was going to hit sixth.
Speaker 1: No chance.
Speaker 4: You don't pay a guy sixty million dollars to hit sixth. And the reason why Kyle Tucker should hit second is because he was really good against lefties. He had an ops of eight forty two last year against lefties or in his career against lefties. So you know you have Otani Tucker and to start the year, I'll go Mookie Bets hitting third. I'll give Mooki Betts the first two months of the season to prove that last year was an outlier. But at some point, if Mooki Betts resembles the Mooki Bets offensively from a year ago, you gotta consider having Will Smith be your number three hitter and Freddie Freeman being your cleanup hitter, having Teoscar Hernandez and Muncy follow and see where it goes from there. But I will say this, Mooki Bets is a great player. I would find it hard to believe even at age thirty three, he is going to have another type of offensive season that he had a year ago, because that was the worst offensive season of his career and he only got things going in September. So I would say the lineup is very fluid at this point in time, but I would advocate to have Otani, Tucker Bets Freeman to begin the season as my first four hitters. Eight six, six, nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. When we continue on Dodger Talk, we are going to catch up with a fan favorite. He started the year with the Dodgers, finished it with the Angels, but certainly a big part of what the Dodgers started back in twenty fifteen twenty sixteen.
Speaker 1: And that is Chris Taylor. Don't go anywhere.
Speaker 4: We got Chris Taylor next and Joe Kelly Mariachi Joe crawling back to Dodger Talk at the bottom of the hour right here on AM five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 2: This is off season Dodger Talk on your official home of the Los Angeles.
Speaker 8: Dodgers, a M five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 1: Well, welcome back to Dodger Talk. David Vaz say with you all until eight o'clock.
Speaker 4: Tonight here on AM five to seventy LA Sports, and I am so happy to be joined by a man that put in so much for the Dodgers in his ten seasons with them. One of the biggest home runs in Dodger playoff history, the wildcard walk off home run in twenty twenty one, such a big part of the Dodgers going to the World Series in twenty seventeen and twenty eighteen, and being a big part of their championship in twenty twenty And certainly a guy that will always be remembered in Dodger history as part of such a special group of guys from the moment that he arrived to you know, the time that things started to change as far as the chapters in Dodger history. But he has not forgotten his baseball roots, his second home here in Los Angeles, because he and his wife Mary are going to have their third annual Polar Plunge benefiting Friendship Foundation and Pediatric Cancer Research Foundation, presented by Sketchers and Schwartz Capitol Group. And that it is the one and only Chris Taylor CT. Awesome to still have you on Dodger Talk. Awesome that you and Mary are continuing what you started three years ago. Thank you for coming on.
Speaker 3: What's up?
Speaker 9: I say, yeah, thank you what an intro. Appreciate it and you know, always good to be on with it.
Speaker 4: What has motivated you and Mary, even after having your second child seven weeks ago, to keep this going and to keep your roots in Los Angeles.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you know, we're just trying to keep the momentum going.
Speaker 2: Really.
Speaker 9: You know, Manhattan Beach is are home now. We've been there for four years, I think.
Speaker 4: And.
Speaker 3: We did.
Speaker 6: Three years.
Speaker 9: We've done an event and this will be we did a top golf event our first year there and then the last two we did the Polar Plunge and that I think we were really changed with the momentum we built from the first year to the second year and just trying to continue that trend and hopefully it continues to grow and get bigger and better and ultimately like it's a lot of fun. I think it brings the whole community together. But also you know, the goal is to as much money as we can for these awesome organizations. You know, the Friendship Foundation you mentioned, they're a staple in the South Bay community. They've been around forever. They're in the process of building a state of the art Friendship Campus that is going to do some amazing work there and help all kids with special needs. And then so we've worked with them the last two years on the Polar Plunch and then we added the Pediatric Cancer Research Foundation as our second beneficiary this year, and that has a special place in my heart just because I've you know, one of my closest friends, the reason I started the CT three Foundation, he lost his fight with cancer, and you know, just over the years through the foundation, we've we've met so many special kids that are struggling with their fight with cancer. And the unfortunate part of you know, doing this and you know, trying to to do the work a foundation does is you meet a lot of kids and it's not what's happy endings. And we've really had some special bonds with these kids and their families. And one of the kids we met her, his mom introduced us to the to PCRF, and we thought it was a great way to, you know, help kind of represent him and help out in the California area. We haven't done a whole lot with cancer out in California and mors in Virginia. So glad we're going to add them as our second beneficiary.
Speaker 4: The third annual CT three Polar Plunge is on Sunday, February first. It's at the Manhattan Beach Pier. It starts at nine o'clock and to register very simple. Just go to Chris Taylor's Instagram page and in the bio you can link and sign up for a great cause. And honestly, a player that has a foundation sometimes can just be that. But I think everybody understands how genuine your foundation is, especially after everything you said and the intentions behind it. How many of your former teammates do you believe are going to take the plunge CT.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think we're going to have a great turnout again. You know, I've reached out to all of my former teammates. All the Dodgers got the inby obviously, and then I think we're going to get a couple other guys too that aren't with the Dodgers, either former Dodgers or guys I've played with on the Angels, or maybe even just like some local California kids that I've played against. We're really trying to get it to be get as many of the local athletes in the LA area to come out and yeah, so I think it should be a good turnout.
Speaker 6: There will be some Dodgers there, of course, but.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I think I think there will be a lot of familiar faces, not only baseball, but maybe some other sports as well.
Speaker 4: Hey, maybe you can get Cody Bellinger, who just signed a big contract with the Yankees, to show up now CT Is he too big for the plunge?
Speaker 9: Yeah, you need to get out of him about that. Maybe we can seem up on Cody.
Speaker 1: Oh, yeah, for sure.
Speaker 4: I'll add you to a group text and we'll really get everybody going there. You go, Hey, I saw this video and I saw that you commented on it when we talk about some of the great times in the Greek group of teams that you had your former hitting coach, Turner Ward posted on his Instagram behind the scenes type of video justin Turner in the cage, a young Cody Bellinger must have been twenty seventeen, twenty eighteen with his EyeBlack on, and you guys were all in the uniform watching you kind of mimic Turner's you know, famous stance and laid kick and all that. When you saw that video, do you remember it like it was yesterday, And what do you remember the most about those times in the cage.
Speaker 9: I do remember that. And it's funny because Turner was the one that was always Turner Ward or hitting coach at the time. He was the one always trying to mimic everyone's batting stance, and so he kind of started that, and like, just like Turner, I'm terrible. I'm so bad that trying to imitate my teammates swing. Some of the guys are very good, and I don't know if it's like body awareness or what. That type of athleticism is where you can see something and make it. I mean, everybody knows about batting stance guy, right, Yeah, but I do not have that coordination, and whenever I try to copy somebody's stance, it ends up looking like my swing.
Speaker 6: And I.
Speaker 9: Kind of already knew that, but then seeing the video it just confirmed that already, like, oh, that looks nothing like JT. Maybe like when I'm holding the bat before I start the sling, you can kind of see it, but then I just do my slang and it's exactly the same.
Speaker 4: What did you think about the look on Cody Bellinger's face on the couch?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 9: I gotta ask him what was going through is I'm sure he was like what is he trying to do right now?
Speaker 4: And then you see Jack Peterson walk by in his uniform with one of his Jock Peterson phases of haircuts, kind of like a fro Hawk walking by.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, one of Jackson manilocks, and Jock actually was pretty good at imitating. I mean, he's had so many different stances, so maybe maybe that has something to do with it.
Speaker 4: Hey, what do you remember the most and what made those teams so special? Especially you know, the teams from twenty seventeen to twenty twenty. I have to include twenty twenty because you guys won the World Series after coming up short in seventeen and eighteen. What do you remember the most and what should we remember the most about those teams and those group of players that you were such a big part of.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I thought we just had a good core group of guys that you know, we're all so close and were all still keep in touch. You know, years later of us, a lot of us are not playing on the team anymore, but you know, I think that bond from those years, as you know, we still go on vacations together in the offseason.
Speaker 3: We you know, so it kind.
Speaker 9: Of shows how close that group was, and it showed on the field, I think, And yeah, it's just I think we're always going to remember those years. Those were special teams and you know, some of the best years playing baseball, the most fun times.
Speaker 3: I've had, no doubt.
Speaker 4: It was so special being around you guys and just seeing how you were able to get over the hump over the Cubs and then finally, you know, we all know what should have taken place in twenty seventeen, but you guys had such a special group, and I think what made it special CT is that you guys failed together and then you succeeded together.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, absolutely. You know, it did take a few years to get over the hunt, and it made it that much sweeter. We were finally able to do it in twenty twenty, and we still have that core group of guys.
Speaker 4: Chris Taylor is our guest on Dodger Talk Don't Forget about the CT three third Annual Polar Plunge on Sunday, February First. You can go to Chris Taylor's Instagram page C Taylor Underscore three and click on the bio and that's where you can sign up two amazing causes, the Friendship Foundation and of course, the Pediatric Cancer Research Foundation fighting for kids battling cancer. All right, Chris, here's the million dollar question. You finished the year with the Angels after starting the year with the Dodgers. Do you still want to continue playing baseball or are you content with your career?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 9: No, I'm still playing.
Speaker 3: Don't pull a cord on me yet. Least say no.
Speaker 9: I'm down here Arizona working out. You know, I I don't know where it's going to be, obviously with free agency being the way.
Speaker 6: It is, but.
Speaker 9: I will be playing again this coming season.
Speaker 4: You feel like maybe you could join the Rangers and reunite with Corey and Jock, or maybe you know, Bellinger put in his contract to cet three clause.
Speaker 9: I have no idea, Honestly, I like all cards are on the table, you know, I really just right now, I'm just focused on getting myself right, being ready to show up in spring training and be playing like my best way. I know I'm capable of playing. I'm trying to get the body right, make sure I'm healthy and able to stay on the field that's been to challenge for me the last couple of years.
Speaker 6: A lot of that has to.
Speaker 9: Do with, you know, things outside of my control with the broken bones and hit by p just but yeah, but yeah, it's just like for me, I think I still have more to prove to myself and that's the biggest thing. Yeah, I would not be able to hang it up right now and not have some regret.
Speaker 4: That sounds like Clayton Kershaw wanting to go out on your own terms. What did you think about the way his career ended and what were your feelings watching that World Series with the Dodgers winning it, since you did start the year with those guys.
Speaker 9: Yeah, that was special, you know, I think you know, I was happy for all the guys. But you mentioned Kersh. I think everybody was probably over the moon for him, and everybody wanted him to go out on top right and to see him go out the way he should have with a ring with the Dodgers. It just was too perfect. And I couldn't have been more throw him and his family. They've they've been through so much, They've done so much for LA and nobody was more deserving than him.
Speaker 4: Hey, during the summers, he caught on to the CT three plan of living in Manhattan Beach. Maybe he can get that carcass out for the third annual Plunge before he goes to Team USA and the World Baseball Classic.
Speaker 9: I know, you know, he he told me, he said it took me way too hard to get out here. And I told everyone. I tell all the guys, like you know, once he moved to Manhattan Beach. You know it's a special place. And yeah, I just I love it there. I've been there for years. It just puts me in a great mood. Waking up close to the beach. The community is awesome, the people are great. It's super late back and yeah, that would be great if if we can get kershops there, no doubt.
Speaker 4: Hey, third annual CT three Polar Plunge. Go out and support Chris Taylor and his wife Mary. They're doing great things still in the South Bay. It's Sunday, February first, starts at nine am. You jump in the water with a bunch of Dodgers professional athletes for a great cause. Chris. Awesome to hear your voice again. Awesome to share your voice with everybody because you will always have a big place in Dodgery history, and for those of us that got to know you, I'm certainly always pulling for you.
Speaker 1: So thank you for the time.
Speaker 4: And you never know, maybe I'll bring my skinny fat carcass out there and jump in the water with you.
Speaker 6: Oh, I'd love to see that get out there.
Speaker 4: I'm sentimental, so I might do it this year for you.
Speaker 3: You to it. I've already put your name on the VIP list.
Speaker 1: Do I have to register in the bio or can I?
Speaker 7: Is this?
Speaker 1: It is this official?
Speaker 3: I got you.
Speaker 6: This is your invite?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 4: Sounds good? All right, I'll manscape before Sunday, February first.
Speaker 3: Yeah, please please do.
Speaker 1: Right there, he goes Chris Taylor.
Speaker 4: Don't forget about the third annual CT three Polar Plunge on Sunday, February first.
Speaker 1: Chris, thanks a lot for the time.
Speaker 9: Yeah, absolutely, thanks for having me that say.
Speaker 4: There, he goes Chris Taylor. A big part of the Dodgers' success from twenty sixteen all the way up to last year. Chris Taylor unfortunately injured. You just heard him say it right there. He wants to play again. He felt like he wasn't himself because of injuries. So we'll see where Chris Taylor ends up. But certainly the Dodgers rewarded him with a big, four year, sixty million dollar contract before the lockout going into the twenty two season, So you know, I would say Andrew Freeman was loyal to Chris Taylor. Unfortunately, by the end of that contract, he just wasn't the same player as he was before. But you know, always a fan favorite. I'll never forget his leadoff home run in Game one of the seventeen World Series. He came up with a huge catch in Game seven of the twenty eighteen NLCS, and obviously his last big signature moment with the Dodgers in the clutch, a walkoff home run in the Wildcard game against the Cardinals, basically the last time the Cardinals were good at any point in time in the last five or six years. Chris Taylor knocked him out in that Wildcard game with a walkoff home run, and the Dodgers went on to beat the Giants, who won one hundred and seven games that year, in a five game NLDS series. So Chris Taylor a big part of the Dodgers' success during Andrew Friedman's tenure. It kind of feels like this is a new chapter in the tenure of Andrew Friedman. Guys like Cody Turner, Taylor, that was one chapter, and now with Shoho Tani and Yamamoto and the rest of these guys, it's a new chapter. And Andrew Friedman is still there bringing sustained success to the Dodgers. But so many people come up to me even today walking into the station. I was actually on the phone with Andre Ethier and I told the guy, the fan that recognized me. I said, Hey, I'm on the phone with Andre Ethier and he I put Ethier on the speaker phone with him, and he just kept saying, I love you.
Speaker 1: I love those teams.
Speaker 4: And that's that's feedback I get from you about those teams from twenty fifteen to about twenty twenty, those group of guys Jock Peterson, Cody Bellinger, Corey Seeger, that was an incredible time and that was such a close knit group. And maybe part of it was we watched those guys grow up. We watched those guys cry after losing in the sixteen NLCS to the Cubs, and we celebrated when Keyky Hernandez hit three home runs at Wrigley Field, Kershaw Domine and the Dodgers went on to their first World Series since nineteen eighty eight, a World Series they should have won. But I feel like the fan base went through all of that with those guys, and that's why there's still such an emotional attachment with Chris Taylor and the rest of his teammates from that chapter of this Dodger incredible time in Dodger history. All right, Mariachi, Joe Kelly remember him? How could you forget from seventeen to ninety nine? He certainly is a fan favorite, and his mural still up there on the reserve level. I'll have to let him know that we got Joe Kelly right around the corner on Dodger Talk until eight o'clock tonight here on five to seventy LA Sports. You never know what Joe's going to say. Don't go anywhere?
Speaker 2: Is Boss season? Dodger Talk on your official home of the Los Angeles.
Speaker 8: Dodgers, am five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 4: Welcome back to Dodger Talk. David Vasse with you until eight o'clock tonight here on a five to seventy LA Sports. And I mentioned this earlier in the show. I have a saying. Well, one of my many sayings, and maybe the one that is the most true, is that they.
Speaker 1: All always come crawling back. That's right, they all always come crawling back. You know.
Speaker 4: When I'm around them every day, they get tired of me, and then they start to have vassay withdrawal.
Speaker 1: And that's what started to happen for Joe Kelly.
Speaker 4: An incredible picture, incredible career, three times World Series champion, Mariachi Joe legend, and he's texting me, I miss you so much.
Speaker 1: I miss you so much, and so.
Speaker 4: Here he is the one and only Mariachi Joe Kelly from Parts unknown on Dodger Talk, Did I describe that perfectly?
Speaker 1: Or do you do? You have some issues with anything?
Speaker 6: I said, no, And the ten thousand dollars for thirty minutes is nice. Thank you for that too.
Speaker 1: You are having so.
Speaker 6: Much all those things. Hey, that was our agreement right on contract. You pay me ten grand for thirty minutes, and you're gonna say whatever you'd like.
Speaker 1: It's in the mail. It's in the.
Speaker 6: Mail, okay, ten thousand paces jeez?
Speaker 4: Wow, yes, Papa, Hey, I will say this. You didn't forget the little people. When you got your ring last year, you did take time out of your family to say hi to me, So I wasn't sure if it was going to go that way.
Speaker 6: No, of course you're You're one of the little people compared to the Dodger well oiled machine. Right, But you're not a little person. You have your own niche, right, you have your own fan base. People meet you and they think you are what you think of me, Joe Kelly. So people come to meet you and like, oh, David Vasse, you're the best. Listen to your show. You're popular amongst your crowd. But yes, you are a little compared to me saying hi to everyone else that was at Doater Stadium.
Speaker 3: But you're not little to me.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 4: I actually was buying my wife a birthday present and the guy that was helping me listens to the show and I said, Hey, I'm going to have Joe Kelly on the show tonight and he said, oh, I have I have his number seventeen jersey. I said, oh, you're the one that still has one, So people still love you, dude.
Speaker 6: There's people still with number seventeen jerseys, and those are those are going more for Pokemon cards nowadays, that tag og skin, the Joe Kelly seventeen it's pretty rare. I love that those are one of one. You know, it's kind of like going to Disneyland and you're like one of those pin collectors.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 6: It's like one of those those own little things. Are you're going to find the hid and Mickey's. And when you're waiting in line and someone walks around with a Joe Kelly seventeen jersey, you're like, he gets it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 4: It's not like a guy that's walking around with a brand new Dodger hat that says twenty five World champs. It's a legit Dodger fan if they have a seventeen Kelly.
Speaker 6: Jersey, Oh, die hard, bro. You know they watched you know they're watching all.
Speaker 1: Dodger games, no doubt. Hey, since you.
Speaker 6: Know you asked, you you go up to those fans, you say, Hey, who the frick do you think we should cut?
Speaker 3: Or who the hell do you think we should trade? They'll give you a right they'll give you a straight answer.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: If you go up to a guy with a brand new hat, they'll just talk about otani.
Speaker 6: Guy with a brand new Kyle Tucker Jersey have no idea. Yeah, what I like the Dodgers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we should trade nobody.
Speaker 4: Since you're not playing baseball anymore. How many times have you been to Disneyland in the last couple of years?
Speaker 3: Once? Bro?
Speaker 1: What right?
Speaker 6: Years? Years?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Two years? Last two years, dude.
Speaker 6: I don't know if you just heard what I said like five minutes ago about you know, you being like the little person. But if I go to Disneyland, it's not like I could just walk around there pretty easily, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: So every time I go to.
Speaker 6: Disneyland, I'll waste money which I should put in my kids.
Speaker 3: Saving the account.
Speaker 6: But I'll buy I'll buy the plaids, you know what I mean. I'll buy the VIP tour, even if it's just like four of us, just so we could like do everything and you know, get in and out. And I mean I'm only doing that once a year. Maybe it's worth it passes. Yeah, Me and Ashley used to live in Anaheim actually probably like three minutes from in the stadium and then like six minutes from Disneyland, like on a bicycle.
Speaker 3: Like my first couple of years in.
Speaker 6: The league, we lived right and sorry ride in Anaheim and we were we remembers And this is more COVID because COVID kind of changing everything where they got rid of like the annual pass holder type thing, like they're kind of bringing it back.
Speaker 1: But you are a Disney nerd.
Speaker 6: Dude, I'm not a Disney nerd. I just like free, like like entertainment, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: It's not free? Are you?
Speaker 4: Are you a member of a Club thirty three? Are you a club? Are you a Club thirty three member?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 6: But I've been a few times with my dad his childhood best friends.
Speaker 3: The couple of remembers.
Speaker 4: Wow, mooching off a Club thirty three member, very Joe Kelly.
Speaker 3: Like, hey, I would, I would.
Speaker 6: Uh, I'm not going to bash Club thirty three because you know I might go there one time.
Speaker 1: Are you on the list before before.
Speaker 6: Being a member of Club thirty three? The food is no better than like, you know, tacos, most trolos, you know what I mean. But I mean that's firings, but the food is not great.
Speaker 1: All right, So we're not missing out too much?
Speaker 6: No, no, no, no no, but it's cool just to say you're getting in there.
Speaker 4: All right. I love it. Joe Kelly is our guest. If you need any advice on how to navigate Disneyland, he's your guy. But you're the perfect guy to have on the show. With all these people overreacting again because the Dodgers are trying to win, I thought that was the point of professional sports. What have you made about all these people saying there's gonna be a lockout? Now the Dodgers are are playing unfairly, nobody else has a chance. Since you're the guy that is a best selling author with an incredible book, a damn near perfect game, reclaiming America's pastime, what do you make of all this?
Speaker 3: I love it. I love when people are mad and said there's nothing.
Speaker 6: I'm not a very happy guy.
Speaker 3: You could ask my wife. But what makes me happy.
Speaker 6: Is other people bitching and complaining. You know what I mean.
Speaker 3: God, it makes me feel so good.
Speaker 6: I don't even play, but I just like to stir the pot and see all the animosity. It's wonderful. I think it's great for the game of baseball. There's no way it's going.
Speaker 3: To be fixed.
Speaker 6: I don't care about people saying there's a lockout.
Speaker 3: There's a lockout. Last time guys.
Speaker 6: You know what I mean, there's gonna be a lockout. There's always gonna be a lockout eventually to see who you or how long it goes, that is to be seen, obviously. But I mean, these guys were all free agents. It's it's not something that's very hard to do, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: I don't understand what Joe Kelly unfiltered on Dodger talk. Uh so, okay, I'm a big believer that what the Dodgers have done is just make baseball more relevant, having the Dodgers and Yankees in the World Series, having that epic World Series. How can anybody say the Dodgers are bad for baseball? The Dodgers being this good is great for baseball.
Speaker 6: Of course, it's great for baseball. You know, there's any given day I could go on, you know, someone giving an interview or I mean, you got NBA analysts, you know, talking about Dodgers in baseball. You got NFL reporters talking Dodgers and talking baseball.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean.
Speaker 6: You got comedians getting mad with the effect of Dodgers signing baseball like you're doing something right, and as an owner and as a league if you could get all these people who didn't really care about baseball now talking about it as a top of conversation. You know, that's just good pub. It's it's good pub, and it's gonna open a lot of eyes to like the new CBA. That's gonna be fun.
Speaker 3: There's gonna be people giving their input and following.
Speaker 6: Along, you know, day by day on this kind of thing that you know, don't really watch sports.
Speaker 4: Joe Kelly is our guest who did not announce his retirement, just that he's not going to play baseball anymore.
Speaker 1: Uh, just to let.
Speaker 4: You know, you still have your mural at Dodger Stadium up on the reserve level. Maybe that'll change after this interview, but you still got it up there right now. And I was just wondering the reaction that you got when you start to say these things that you're not pitching anymore, you're not retiring.
Speaker 1: Uh what what did it? Did it trigger anything inside of you?
Speaker 4: The reaction you got from fans in Saint Louis, Boston, in La.
Speaker 6: No, I don't think it.
Speaker 1: You were really celebrated. It was like a victory tour last week.
Speaker 3: I know, but I didn't.
Speaker 6: I'm not aware of that. That's see, that's what's the good thing about having no social media or nothing. Maybe that's why you're celebrating.
Speaker 1: Maybe that's why you're sad all the time.
Speaker 6: I'm not sad all the time. I'm very content. Brother. Uh. Maybe if I said I retired though, they'd ripped that mural down.
Speaker 1: No, No, I.
Speaker 6: Feel like I say I'm not playing, They'll keep it. Yes, I I think that there's no way they take it down. You know what this is why, because ever since that mural has been up, the Dodgers have one World Series. You take it down, you're gonna lose World Series.
Speaker 3: They're gonna drinx it.
Speaker 1: Wow, all right, you're saying that's the lucky charm.
Speaker 6: I mean, you take that mural down, Let's see if they win the World Series.
Speaker 4: I love it. I want you man, I love that. I hope you loan your Mariachi jacket to one of the guys.
Speaker 1: Uh. When they get their rings this year, when they go out to the line and they.
Speaker 6: Bick one, who do you think should wear it?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 6: I think skinny enough, because dude, when I threw that first picture was so tight on me. I guess I'm like one ninety five.
Speaker 3: Now I played it.
Speaker 6: I played at like one eighty one eighty five, and my arms are so yoke, dude, I couldn't even bounce the ball. I couldn't move my arm or so tight.
Speaker 1: You're saying you're so jackinny enough to wear that thing. You're saying your swollen patrol.
Speaker 6: Now, oh, bro, I'm stronger, you know the you know the joke, man, Bradford are the best shape of life. I'm way stronger than when I played. Wow, if there's a fist fight, there's just like now now I could do you know what I mean? Like, so Jo Kelly Cloth walk up on me like I'm way more prepared than when I was.
Speaker 3: But playing men as of.
Speaker 4: Baseball, Okay, I think Yama, Moto or Mookie would fit into that jacket.
Speaker 6: Oh, Mookie will obviously, Yama would Obviously. That's it. We only have two.
Speaker 4: I mean, who else, Like Barnes isn't on the t won't be there? I would say, Barnes, what about.
Speaker 3: He wouldn't have been able.
Speaker 1: To Will's Wills Will's myth that's kind of yeah, yeah, a good call, bro.
Speaker 4: He's a legend already. You know him and Walker Bueller our legends forever.
Speaker 1: We should pitch it to him.
Speaker 6: I would like to him.
Speaker 1: All right, here's another question for you.
Speaker 4: Did you see Freddie Freeman at the at the party after they won the World Series do the worm? What did you think about his worm skills? I?
Speaker 3: I did it.
Speaker 6: It went, it went across. Uh, I forgured I was watching with a spectrum like a Laker game or something. Yeah, but yeah, I did see. I think it's I think it's a solid worm.
Speaker 4: All right, all right, hey, uh, this is part one of our five part series. So unlike your unlike yeah, yeah, so unlike your podcast that can go on and on, this is a live show, so we got to uh, we gotta end it here.
Speaker 1: But let's let's do this again soon. Maybe you'll come in.
Speaker 6: Yeah, take have some people call in, because I know, I know, I've your producer and they kind of went behind your back and told me that I could have your show whenever I said yes, So people call in. Let me know if you want me to take over a Vasse show. We can still have them. He could be like a you know, maybe a regular, have a couple appearances, but let me know if you want me to run Dodger talk, get back to me.
Speaker 3: Get on the phones, dial in JK or DV.
Speaker 1: Wow, JK. We're going to the initials route.
Speaker 6: Now, huh yes, sir.
Speaker 4: All right, maybe uh do you maybe you could find your way to Burbank. You just gotta get over the dirt roads in Riverside and Rancho and find your way to the one thirty four.
Speaker 6: Oh, I know where it's at.
Speaker 4: Bro All right, let's make it happen before spring training or in spring training. We'll take some calls together.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'll be out there in spring training. We got a tournament.
Speaker 3: Actually, we're coming to bring the team to maybe the practice field and see what's going on.
Speaker 4: All right, sounds good. Thanks a lot for coming on and congratulations on you know, just being a guy that lives at home and mooches off other people and Club thirty three and wears his Mickey ears all over the streets of of Riverside.
Speaker 6: I feel like a normal American. Now, thank you.
Speaker 1: There he goes the one and only Mariaji Joe Kelly. That's the end of the show. I mean, you walk it off with Joe Kelly. We will be back next week. Have a great weekend. See Yu, first time drinking you up years and the thing is so great it's too