Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Basse or Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: It's the Dodgers and Padres.
Speaker 3: It's getting set for first pitch, and we're joined right now by Dodgers GM, Brandon Gomes, who pulls all the strings. Alex Freeland should be beware, treats a nice or Brandon Gomes will have a target on your back.
Speaker 2: Thanks a lot for the time. Great to see. Yeah, thanks for having me, Dave. Great vibes around the team, Brandon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's been a fun group and obviously playing good baseball and I can't believe that when the All Star break is right around the corner. So a lot of good stuff so far.
Speaker 3: I know everybody is never satisfied around here. But considering you have an eight game lead over the Padres, you have one of the best records in baseball, how comfortable do you feel where things stand with the team right now?
Speaker 1: Comfortable is not a term that we generally use. Feel really good about where guys are at right now, and you know, trend lines on a lot of them as well. Plus, you know, looking forward over the next month or two, getting some guys that have been down for a bit, some reinforcements to join us. So, you know, all things consider playing well, the guys are have really stepped up with you know, some injuries along the way, and it's been good opportunities for different different guys. But you know, the overall outlook of the team right now really solid and hopefully looking to improve as the next couple of months come around to.
Speaker 3: It's incredible to believe you're the only team in baseball this season with fifty two wins, most wins of any team in baseball so far this season, and you really haven't had your whole team together. At the same time, when you get tay Oscar back and you have Edmund back, how much of a different look do you think this offense will have.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know those guys obviously getting Tayo back and Tommy back in the rhythm really continues to link in the lineup. But the guys that have come in, and you know, while different guys have been out, have really shown well. So I think it's been great opportunity for the younger guys to come in. And you know, even you know, Ac getting regular at bats, getting him in, you know, he's going to be a tough at bats, so you know, the the lineup will continue to round.
Speaker 2: Out and be uh, you know, have really good.
Speaker 1: Lengths to it. And then as guys start to heat up and round into form, that'll only be another positive as well.
Speaker 3: And not only the guys that are filling in for injured players, but even a guy like Dalton Rushing Brandon getting a lot of opportunities with Will Smith being down. How much do you think he's starting to understand what it takes to get through a regular season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, very much.
Speaker 1: So. I think this is you know, part of part of the luxury of having two really good catchers, especially you know, guys that can handle a staff, but also it can really produce on the offensive side of things. Uh. So, you know, having Will go down and making sure that he you know, when he comes back, he's one hundred per sent, giving this opportunity to rush to get in there and be you know, more of the everyday slash you know, bulk catcher, good friend to navigate at bats, understand how his body's gonna feel, uh, day in and day out, and then continue to to build his chops with our pitching staff and and you know, getting used to the game calling night in the night out.
Speaker 3: How comfortable are you with the way Dave Roberts, Mark pryor Freddie Freeman helped kind of get the emotions back in check last Wednesday with Rushing and Otani.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a it's a beautiful thing that this group is, you know, so tightly knit and obviously you know Doc leading the leading the charge. You know, all anybody cares about his winning and knowing that eagles get set aside and everybody is here to make each other. It's as good as they possibly can be. And this is a you know, these these guys are brothers. They spend a lot of time together, so you know you're gonna have some uh stuff when when you're around competitors like this, and you know, the way it was navigated was excellent.
Speaker 3: In my opinion, all of us, even on the media side, that are around Dalton Rushing every day. He's got such a big heart, He's such a great guy. Can you set the record straight for perception versus reality of who he is for us?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean he's one of the nicest human beings I've been around. I think, you know, this question comes up like I would have Rush babysit my kids and feel great about it. So, you know, I think he's just an intense competitor, and when the juices get flown, guys get caught up in the moment sometimes, so you know, it's a lot easier to calm down the intense competitor than to try to bring it out as somebody. So it's much we'd much prefer to have that, and we'll take it as a good learning moment and you know, moving forward it will be in a better place because of it.
Speaker 3: Brandon gom Stodgers. GM is our guest. We are almost at the end of June and the trade deadlines not until August second, is it too early to think about August third? Is it too early to think about that, Brandon? As far as what conversations you may be having behind the scenes, is it a little premature for people to start talking about a trade deadline that is pretty far away?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, obviously everybody likes to tie. It's a good news cycle and trying to understand what, you know, each team, where they're gonna be in standings and what the team needs are you know, as we stand here today, you know, with the guys coming back, which will probably be around that time, you know, Uh, it's gonna be hard to go out and acquire better players than than what we actually already have in house, and a lot of you know, our aggression in the past few off seasons is to avoid the deadline and be paying a huge premium for you know, rental players or guys that you know it may not be as good as you already have in house. So a lot of it is wait and see see how the next you know, a couple of weeks, month or two play out. But with the current team we have and they that are coming back, we feel really good about this group and that we're more than a championship caliber type of team.
Speaker 3: Back to back World Series champions, fifty two wins. And yet it seems like you have the most assets of any team because of your drafting, your development, so many great young players in your farm system. I would imagine that's unusual where teams want what you have when you're in this position.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're very fortunate. We have such an amazing scouting group PD you know, and part of you know, an aggressive ownership group is to be able to go out and get guys in the offseason and not necessarily have to dip into your farm system to go out and get players. So you know, it's a true organizational win to be able to have the prospects that we have right now, and you know the rankings that we have, and you get to hopefully watch these guys develop and play out and come up and impact the major league team over you know, the next few years. And you know, it's always striking the balance between winning championships now in long term and you know, like I said, right now, the current group that we have here in the big leagues, we feel great about going out and trying to run a third championship in a row. So we'll continue to assess what it looks like on the market and if there's a meaningful upgrade somewhere. We've shown that we're not afraid to do that, but feel great about this current group.
Speaker 3: Brandon, thanks a lot for the time, and thank you on behalf of everybody because we have a front row seat to such a special time and Dodger your history and to see this team still be as hungry as ever to go for a three PET is really special.
Speaker 2: So thanks a lot for the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thanks for having me. Dack