Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begun.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball.
Speaker 3: History have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 1: This is World Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: Here we go again. We get ready running back.
Speaker 1: To get him on the show called eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy, and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you catch your podcasts. Here's your host, David Vasse.
Speaker 3: Welcome the Dodger Talk David Vasse live at Nationals Park in Washington, d C. After the Dodgers defeat the Nats again today, the final score ten to five.
Speaker 2: We're with you until five thirty tonight.
Speaker 3: Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number coming up on the show.
Speaker 2: You'll hear from Alex Call.
Speaker 3: He had a scare before the game where he was hit by a bay.
Speaker 2: We'll tell that story later in the show.
Speaker 3: Also, I gotta give Will Smith some props being a pretty good umpire himself behind the plate, so we'll get to that as well. We'll get to the Dodger offense. But you know, the biggest concern out of this game. Even though the Dodgers win the game, they lose their stars shortstop in Mookie Betts, who was on base.
Speaker 2: Drew a one out walk in the first inning.
Speaker 3: Scored from first base on a Freddie Freeman double in the first inning, and as he crossed home plate it kind of looked a little awkward before he stepped on home plate and he walked back to the dugout. That's not abnormal sometimes in stadiums where home plate isn't that far from the dugout. But still he was taking it easy and he came out of the game. Miguel Rojas had to take over at shortstop the majority of the game, the last eight innings. And now Dave Robert is talking about an MRI for Mookie Bets. So I want to hear from the Dodger manager about Mookie Bets and his lower back.
Speaker 4: It was on running the basis scoring on that double, and so we're going to get some testing right now and we'll know more later. But it's certainly more moderate than you know significant. So like I said, we'll know more tomorrow.
Speaker 1: He's the one that started that.
Speaker 5: It will can kind of point that out him when he was no.
Speaker 4: I was actually talking about his at bat that I thought spurred that inning, and then I got when later that you know he had a sore back.
Speaker 5: Tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Yeah, unlikely to play tomorrow.
Speaker 6: That's right, That's right.
Speaker 4: So I think right now, I don't want to get too far ahead of what we're going to do.
Speaker 6: But you know, we'll see what.
Speaker 4: We'll huddle up and see if we need to get a player here to protect against us and if the m R. Depends on how the MR comes. But yeah, he certainly I'll be playing the next couple of days. I would assume tomorrow morning.
Speaker 6: Yes, given it's kind of the defense he is playing, I mean, the right the power he.
Speaker 1: Kind of showed at Dodger state of getting that one to the opposite fields.
Speaker 4: Is kind of have disappointed for him, Yeah, disappointed for him because you know, we're we're sort of starting to get going a little bit, and you know the way he's playing defense, and he's a big part of what we do, and so you know, anytime you miss, it's going to take some time to kind of get your footing. So I'm disappointed for him, but hopeful that it's not long term.
Speaker 7: I know you gave Day the day off the day.
Speaker 1: But that's just kind of underscore maybe with some of the you know, more ventering guys.
Speaker 8: So you kind of mixed in those those days offense.
Speaker 4: I think so, And I think that's a good thing. It's also nice when you can plug Alex call in and feel good about the defense and the ed bats and you know, tomorrow I'm going to give Kyle the day off and you know, insert Alex and again. And so I think, you know, kind of getting ahead of it, knowing you want to kind of you know, take care of guys and rest and when needed to also keep guys relevant is important.
Speaker 7: You know, it's like started hurting him as he was running or when he like kind of got back to the dougout.
Speaker 2: Word he felt it.
Speaker 4: He felt it as he was running.
Speaker 3: All right, there's manager Dave Roberts with some details about Mooki backs Mookie bets injuring his back in the first inning. And look, he's thirty three years old. Now, he's done a lot more weight training to gain back his weight this offseason and into spring training. We've seen him with sense YadA on his shoulders. So to me, this is a little concerning and honestly, as the Dodgers go through the summer with some of their older players like Muncie, Mookie Bets, Freddie Freeman, Teoscar Hernandez. That's the concern injuries, right, You have to have a lot of luck when it comes to injuries to be able to withstand them. The Dodgers do have depth to be able to, you know, have somebody fill a position, but none of them are Mookie Beds or Freddie Freeman or Max Muntsey or Will Smith. We saw that last year when Will Smith broke his hand and missed six weeks of the season. So that is, to me, the only concern for the Dodgers trying to repeat and get themselves in a great position to make a run in October. It's some of these older players and at times you kind of see like the winters can be long sometimes as you get over thirty and closer to thirty five years old. So look that I'm not going to dismiss this injury. It's a back injury. Mookie plays a very demanding position now every day shortstop, so I would venture to say he's going on the injured list, and that's the prudent decision because the Dodgers. It's so early in the season. You don't want this lingering the rest of the year. Eight six, six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Nationals today ten to five. Kyle Tucker was on base four times today. Shoho Tani did not homer, but he did have a couple of hits. Andy pa Has did homer. He had three hits. A three run home run in the fifth inning blew this game open. And Freddie Freeman hit his four hundred and forty ninth double and four hundred and fiftieth double or five hundred and forty ninth and five hundred and fiftieth doubles of his career. He passes Chipper Jones, his former teammate, for the most doubles or thirty second most doubles in baseball history.
Speaker 2: And he's just ten away.
Speaker 3: From five hundred and sixty doubles in his career, which would time with Eddie Murray and Jeff Kent. Tyler Glass Now pitched really good today. I feel like it's going to be a big year for Tyler Glass now. There just seems to be a lot more clarity with Glass now. He doesn't seem to be basically, you know, over overthinking things, and he talked about that in spring training. He's trusting the Dodgers pitching coaches, trusting the training staff, and that's allowed him to just go out there and pitch. And when he's out there, he's one of the best pitchers in the game, and we saw that today, especially with a big lead six innings, nine strikeouts. Let's head back downstairs to the Dodger Clubhouse to hear from today's winning pitcher on sports.
Speaker 2: Net La Good.
Speaker 8: I think the beginning was a little bit more forcing heavy with the curveball, and I think as a game went on, just a little bit more left right stuff the two seam, a couple sliders, But yeah, I think I leaned on heaters are good about to saying some some timely curveballs.
Speaker 5: For sure.
Speaker 8: When you look at us your first two outings of this season, I mean, do you feel like you're personally kind of just building on each one and considering what you've been able to.
Speaker 2: Provide to death the results.
Speaker 8: Does it feel like you're kind of pushing yourself in a different way as well? Yeah, I think how I feel good and I think he's shot. I'm just trying to take that into the next week and build off of it. And I think this last start, in this start, we're pretty consistent, so I'm just trying to keep it going.
Speaker 5: Think about how you use the sequencing in the pitch mix.
Speaker 8: How does knowing that the rest of your pitches are playing up allow for the curveball to be that strikeout pitch. Yeah, I think today I kind of lost feel for it towards the end. But I do think if I'm throwing other stuff and like kind of getting lefties inside showing it away, and then I just think the curveball not showing it so frequently. I think guys definitely if it's coming out of the same tunnel, will swing at it. But yeah, I think early early on for strikes and then later it was I kind of only had it as a strikeout. But I do think it opens it up quite a bit.
Speaker 3: All Right, there's Tyler Glass now on Sports into LA and yeah, that's an interesting dynamic to his outing today. He did throw a lot of four seam fastballs, but he threw more curveballs today, so he was kind of pitching backwards. He used his sinker, used his fastball, but the pitch that he threw the.
Speaker 2: Most today was his curveball.
Speaker 3: And I think back to his last start of the spring, the Freeway Series against the Angels. The Dodgers also had a big inning that game where they scored a lot of runs in one inning. I believe they put up ten runs in the second or third inning of that game against the Angels in the Freeway Series, And.
Speaker 2: He said, yeah, I was kind of just trying to come.
Speaker 3: Up with a different routine to stay warm during that long inning, and when I got back out on the mound, it took a little bit for me to ramp up my fastball, so I was reading swings and also using my curveball until I got my.
Speaker 2: Fastball velocity back.
Speaker 3: So I think back to that start where he was throwing a lot of first pitch curveballs, a lot of curveballs, and today this start reminded me of that. And the very first inning it was a little bit not as long as that one, but the line was moving and the Dodgers scored five runs two innings of the game today, so they were making Jake Irvin work and extending innings. But yeah, interesting dynamic to Tyler Glass now this year where he's really relying heavily on his curveball. Today's game brought to you by Modello Modello the mark of a fighter.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 3: I don't want to get too deep into the psyche of Tyler Glass now. All I can tell you is he's a different guy than what I've seen since he joined the Dodgers, and that's for the better.
Speaker 2: A lot of people believe.
Speaker 3: The success he had coming out of the bullpen in the World Series has carried over into this season to give him confidence to trust the Dodgers. I had a chance to catch up with one of his former teammates and now a special assistant with the Dodgers, and that's Chris Archer. Here's what Chris Archer had to say about this version of Tyler Glass.
Speaker 2: Now, where have you seen the.
Speaker 3: Growth in Tyler since you become part of the Dodgers' front office.
Speaker 9: Yeah, that's a good question. I mean, Tyler's always been super talented, even back when he was with Pittsburgh and had some struggles, He's always been super talented. I think the confidence that he has he really trusts himself. I think the success that he's had here parlayed with what he did in the World Series. He can really trust his body. He can really get out of his head when it comes to all the delivery stuff, because he's a very cerebral guy. But it seems like spring training in his first start this year, he's really out there just executing pitches and he's not thinking too much. And this is a really really good version of glass now right now.
Speaker 2: Do you believe there was one moment in time or do you believe.
Speaker 3: Like you said, coming out of the bullpen and succeeding gave him a new mindset coming into spring training.
Speaker 9: I think all players go through a long transition to really trust who they are. And it seemed like the World Series last year, specifically, not just the playoffs, but the World Series, like you said, the different roles he had to serve and thrown on short rest and back to back like he.
Speaker 2: Never has before.
Speaker 9: I think it was that last like five percent that he needed to show himself that he is one of the best in the league. Now he can just go out there and trust that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it feels like he's a different guy this year. Like you said, there just seems to be a lot more clarity when you talk to him and when you look look at him in the eyes.
Speaker 9: Yeah, definitely. I think another thing is he changes body composition a little bit. He added some weight, and he's like he has a very unique body obviously, like long limbs, very very lean. He added a little extra fat, a little extra muscle, and I think that gives him extra confidence to go out there and be healthy and kind of let his body just do his thing rather than having all that past history be a part of his game.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 3: That's Chris Archer now a special assistant with the Dodgers. He's been in uniform with the Dodgers, been watching bullpens, been picking the brains of Mark Pryor and Connor McGinnis so he could take it back to the minor leagues because he is very much involved in player development for the Dodgers. And look, I'm really impressed with Chris Archer. And that was great insight on Tyler Glass. Now where he was, where he is and how he got there. To hear the full conversation with Chris Archer, you know where to find it the iHeartRadio app, and if you're listening to us live right now on the iHeartRadio app, you see that microphone, you tap it, you say a message, good or bad, and you may hear it on the show. And obviously the traditional way to talk to people the phone eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Nationals today, ten to five. Let's go out to Douglas in Indio. You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing Douglas?
Speaker 10: Hey, I'm doing great, David. Thank you. You know you're absolutely rried about Glasnow's confidence after the World Series. Another person I think that got a huge amount of confidence after the World Series is definitely Andy pie Has after he made that catch over Kik Hernandez just tearing it up this year so far. I mean, I know it's early, but patting five hundred and three home runs, he's just killing it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he really is.
Speaker 3: And look, I think when you talk about Piz, he's not immune that he struggled in the postseason. So that just showed him he had a lot of work to do to come back and really solidify his spot moving forward and not have a sophomore slump. And he put in a lot of work during spring training. The Dodgers, as Jose Mota told us understand him better, understand what works for him better. And my understanding is in spring training, the Dodgers have one of those high tech they call it project machines where you could actually see the picture on the big screen and instead of a straight fastball out of the batting cage machine it it throws the same pitches as whatever pitchers on the screen. And my understanding is Pa Haz was in there a lot and he wasn't even swinging the bat. He was just trying to learn pitches, learned the strike zone, and I think that's translated.
Speaker 10: Absolutely. Yeah. And you know what else I love about him is he'll make a little routine play in the outfield and the way that he flips it back into the infield. This guy is just so smooth. So I'm looking forward to big things from him this year. And hey, man, thanks for taking my call. I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Oh, thank you, good call, Douglas. And look, this is a big outfield, a big center field, and Andy pa has has made it look a lot easier than it is. He got to a ball and left center field that Alex Call couldn't get to and he made the catch. So yeah, he's playing great center field, and you think back to the first two weeks of last year where he had a rough time as to center field. But he's put in a lot of hard work with Dodger outfield coach and third base coach Dino Eble every day even to this day. Before the game, Pajez is out there working. Today's game brought to you by Modello Modelo The Mark of a Fighter. We're going to take a time out here on Dodger Talk. We're going to five thirty. When we come back, we have three lines open at eight six, six, nine, eight seven two five seventy. You'll hear from Alex Call who had a little bit of a scare before the game. Luckily he was able to play. He actually got a couple of hits today and the Dodgers beat the Nationals ten to five on AM five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 1: On air at AM five seventy, online at AM five seventy LA sports dot com, and available my podcast on the iHeartRadio ASP. This is Dodger Talk with David Bass.
Speaker 7: Urbans first freeman swings and hits it in the air right center field. This pau is carrying back and it is off the base of the wall. Freddy Freeman has done it again. Ambushes Jay Kerbin a first pitch double, then drives in another pair and makes it five nothing LA.
Speaker 3: Freddie Freeman, with two doubles today, drove in four runs as the Dodgers put up a ten spot and beat the Nats ten to five. David Vasse at Nationals Park in Washington, DC until five thirty eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Freddie Freeman today hit his five hundred and forty ninth double and five hundred and fiftieth career double, passing Alex Rodriguez and Chipper Jones. He is now number thirty two has the thirty two to thirty second most doubles hit in baseball history. This guy is a slam dunk Hall of Famer. I don't care about three thousand hits or not. He's a Hall of Famer, no doubt about it. And he's hoping to play four more years. But certainly you got to get through this one. Freddy Daniels Jewelers presents the home run Forecast for your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jeweler's gift card visit AM five to seventy. LA sports dot Com used the keyword home run for your chance to win.
Speaker 2: Daniels Jewelers own the Dream.
Speaker 3: Eight six six nine seven two five seventy is the phone number now.
Speaker 2: Alex Call got his first start of the year.
Speaker 3: He was two for five today with a double and he scored a run and he drove in a run. But he had a scare before the game. Alex Call, who the Dodgers acquired at the trade deadline from the Nationals, by the way, was back facing his former team for the first time here in the nation's Capital. And during batting practice for the Nationals, the Dodgers started to come out and started to do their normal routine where they come out and the strength coaches have these guys do high knees, have them start jogging up and down the grass area in foul territory up the third baseline when they're on the road, and even at Dodger Stadium for that fact, and the Nationals was still taking batting practice and they as you know, during batting practice before a game, there's a cage for obvious reasons, foul balls, misfires, you don't want it hitting anybody that's just you know, talking or stretching during pregame activity. Well, for whatever reason, the Nationals did not have their batting cage in the right spot, and one of Alex Call's former teammates, Brady House, was in the batting cage, right handed hitter, and he pulled a ball so far that it wrapped around the cage and hit Alex Call, who was like right there in the chest area. And all you heard, because I was watching Brady House take batting practice, you heard the crack of the bat and then you hear Alex Call scream in pain, and the Dodger trainers had to go down there and see what the extent of the injury was.
Speaker 2: Luckily it got Call where.
Speaker 3: It didn't hurt him or prevent him from playing today in the upper chest area.
Speaker 2: But it could have been a lot worse.
Speaker 3: Could you imagine if that would have hit him in the face, that would not have been good. And Brady House came over and apologized, and then the Nationals coaches pushed the cage a little further. Maybe they should have put it in the right spot before all that took place. And when Alex Call came back to the dugout. I asked him if everything was okay and if he was ready to go.
Speaker 11: I'm okay, I'm okay, I'm.
Speaker 2: Doing Did you see it even coming?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 11: I saw it coming, yeah, and then I was doing high and ease and I got in the chest. You know, my buddy Brady. So hopefully he doesn't beat himself up too much. But it's all good.
Speaker 2: Just trying to take you out for your first start.
Speaker 11: Maybe probably not, but it's it's all good. It's all guy. I've been hit with baseballs every part of my body, so that's kind of a new area.
Speaker 2: But it's all right, all right. Well, luckily he was okay.
Speaker 3: He had two hits, including a double RBI, and scored a run, and he likely will be out there tomorrow if the Dodgers shuffle their lineup a little bit more. But Mookie Bets, in case you missed it, left the game after scoring on a Freddie Freeman double in the first inning, and Mooky is on his way to get an MRI and likely headed to the IL with a lower back injury. Eight six six seven two five seventy is the phone number I want to share with you this Will Smith was one for two today when it came to challenging balls and strikes behind the plate. I saw an interview with Max Munsey on foul Territory where he explained some of the Dodgers' strategy when it came to challenging as hitters, and he said that the strategy for the team is is to leave as many challenges for the pitching staff for Will Smith to challenge. Not so much do the Dodgers want to challenge when the hitters are at the plate, especially early in the game and not high leverage counts.
Speaker 2: So that gave us a peek inside with the Dodgers we're.
Speaker 3: Thinking, and today Will Smith was one for two challenging balls and strikes behind the plate. And this year Will Smith has been really good. He's eight for twelve on challenges this year. So that's a stat to track the rest of this year and moving forward for as long as they're going to have this ABS system, and it looks like it's in forever. So Will Smith eight for twelve as a catcher challenging balls and strikes. Let's go out to Hollywood, Casey, You're on Dodger Talk Live from Nationals Park.
Speaker 6: How you doing Casey, Go well, David, how about yourself?
Speaker 2: I'm doing great. I'm the last guy here.
Speaker 3: I could see a lot of apartment buildings now on the top of the Capitol Building from our radio booth here at Nationals Park.
Speaker 6: Well, we appreciate you holding it down up there for us. First off, before you know, we get into anything, I just wanted to say, you know, prayers for Molti Bets.
Speaker 5: Let's hope that it's a real.
Speaker 6: Minor situation, because you know, we need him out there enough to have guys like Miguel Rojas who can pick up the slack when you know, on these unfortunate situations happen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I know we got a call yesterday that somebody want to Hay Sung Kim up here. Well, there's a very good chance you may see Hayesung Kim here at the ballpark tomorrow. With Mookie Bets likely headed to the IL and another bummer about Mookie not being able to play tomorrow or Monday, uh probably headed to the IL, but at the very least, Dave Roberts said he's not playing the next two games. The Dodgers are going back to Toronto, where he was the one that ended the World Series and unassisted double play. Alejandro Kirk hit the ground ball and Mookie stepped on second as we all know, and through to Freddie Freeman and the Dodgers were back to back World champions. So that's a bummer too in all this that Mooki's not going to play in Toronto, at least in the in the first game of the series. And by the way, that turf not great for back, So I could see Mooky missing the entire series in Toronto, and I could see him going on the il, especially since the Dodgers sent him out for an mri H. And by the way, Alejandro Kirk, the Blue Jays catcher that hit into the game ending double play in last year's World Series, he's not going to play in the upcoming series either because he fractured his left thumb. He took a foul ball and fractured his left thumb, So Alejandro Kirk is out, Trey is Shavage is having issues.
Speaker 2: With his arms.
Speaker 3: So those main characters from the most entertaining world series of my lifetime in your lifetime are not going to be part of the upcoming exciting series at Rogers Center, which begins on Monday Night. I'm looking forward to that. Everybody's looking forward to that. Going back to see the Blue Jays just a matter of months after the Dodgers came back in Game seven to win back to back championships. Celebrate ninety years of racing at Santa Anita Park every Friday through Sunday with millions and payouts every race day. For heart pounding action and new experiences, visit Santa Anita dot com slash events. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. The Dodgers beat the Nationals today ten to five and have scored twenty three runs in the first two games of this series. And Kyle Tucker hit his first home run as a Dog yesterday. He's on base four times today. He scored on both of Freeman's doubles. So that's what the Dodgers want. They want him to get on base, they want him to drive in some runs when the opportunity presents itself. And he's starting to show why the Dodgers think he can be a valuable piece to this lineup, hitting second behind Otani. And we'll see how the Dodgers stack up their lineup tomorrow with Mookie bets out of it. Now the Dodgers are saying it's a lower back issue. I'm going for MRI results, So we'll see what comes out of all this for Mookie and uh what the Dodgers are saying a lower back issue? Eight six six seven two five seventy is the phone number I wanted to bring up yesterday. I brought up some of my memories coming to Nationals Park Dodgers Nationals twenty sixteen Game five NLDS, and of course twenty nineteen did not go the way the Dodgers wanted, as the Nationals upset them in a five game series, which culminated in them beating the Dodgers at Dodgers Stadium in Game five of the nineteen NLDS.
Speaker 2: Howie Kendrick grand slam off of Joe.
Speaker 3: Kelly, Juan Soto, a home run off of Clayton Kershaw. We could go on and on and on, and the Nationals went on to win the World Series that year. But what has separated the Dodgers from the Cubs who won the World Series in twenty sixteen, to the Nationals who won the World Series in twenty nineteen, and even to a certain extent the Red Sox, who won the World Series in twenty eighteen by beating the Dodgers. The Dodgers are still there every year, and have been every year since twenty thirteen. They've been to the NLCS in thirteen, they were back there in twenty sixteen, they went to the World Series for the first time since nineteen eighty eight and twenty seventeen, went back there in eighteen. So my point is, I know everybody's so fixated on these back to back chainchampionships, and rightfully so. I mean, that's a separator when you went back to back championships. And obviously the Dodgers won the World Series in the pandemic season of twenty twenty, but even before that, the Dodgers have been there consistently, while other teams like the Braves or the Nationals, they have these one year wonders and then you never hear from them again. I mean, alex Anthopolis broke up a World Championship team. He let Freddie Freeman walk into the arms of the Dodgers, He let Max Freed go and walk into the arms of the Yankees. He broke up a really good twenty one Championship team. With the Braves, and they basically haven't been the same since the Giants had that incredible one hundred and seven wins season in twenty twenty one. You haven't heard from them since they haven't even been close to that. I wouldn't be surprised if they they won one hundred and seven games in the last two years combined. My point is with the Nationals who won in twenty nineteen, because you see it when you come to the stadium, you see people still wearing twenty nineteen Nationals World Series gear, you see it in the building, and rightfully so. I mean, this franchise has not had a lot of success, so to have a World Series championship, it's won more than the Padres, It's won more than other franchises out there, so it's something to be proud of.
Speaker 2: But my point is the Dodgers. Would have separated.
Speaker 3: Them from any other era of Dodger Baseball and any other team in the last fifteen years is the fact that, yeah, they haven't won the World Series every year, but they've been there virtually every year, and that's not something to take for granted.
Speaker 2: I would I don't know.
Speaker 3: I used to go back and forth and say, I'd rather have one World Series championship and you know, deal with five losing years. But I don't see it that way anymore. And that's where the Nationals are at. After the twenty nineteen World Series championship, they had to break up that team and they have had six consecutive losing seasons, while the Dodgers continue to roll and really now are a bigger machine than they ever have been before. So with the signing of Otani, with him deferring as much as he did, it allows the Dodgers now to be a behemoth, and no salary cap is going to change that because of the contract that Otani signed. This is a moment in time in baseball history that we're living through. It's not something and even Andrew Friedman.
Speaker 2: Has said this.
Speaker 3: We've heard Scott Boris say this. This is so unique that the Dodgers were able to sign Otani and that he had this idea, this concept of deferring the majority of his salaries so the Dogs can go out there and surround him with really good players. And Larry Bear of the Giants sat on during Super Bowl Week with Dan Patrick that o'tanni presented this contract to every team that he spoke to during the courting process and wanted to make sure before things went any further if the teams were comfortable with that contract. The Giants, Larry Bear, the president of their team, said they were comfortable with it. Obviously, the Dodgers were, the Blue Jays were because they were in it till the end. And he even brought that contract reportedly back to the Angels and the Angels passed on it. So this is a moment in time and there is so much overreaction to what the Dodgers are doing. And look, they are three four steps ahead of everybody and have been since Mark Walter bought the team and then found a way to get Andrew Freeman to come to LA and it's been no looking back ever since.
Speaker 2: It's been.
Speaker 3: It's something that you have to put in perspective in context because other teams, like the Nationals, sure they had a World championship in twenty nineteen, but you haven't had you haven't had much of anything since eight six, six eighty seven, two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Nationals today, ten to five. The only downer is the fact that Mookie Betts had to leave the game with a bad back and is uh either he's undergoing it now or already completed it. But Dave Roberts said he was getting an MRI today and look, he's likely headed to the injured list. He's thirty three years old, playing the most demanding position outside of catcher on the field, and the Dodgers are going to be cautious with him, and rightfully so. You don't want this to linger all year long. Whatever is bothering him, whatever grabbed at him. Eight six six eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number Miguel Rojas phil in for Mooki after he came out of the game.
Speaker 2: He had a sacrifice fly.
Speaker 3: He made an incredible play from the seat of his pants, literally in the seat of his pants. He threw out a runner sitting down. I mean, that's how good of a short stop this guy is, I mean, thirty seven years old in his last big league season doing things like that truly remarkable and just another example of how he's not leaving anything on the field and how sweet would it be for a guy like that to go out with three straight World Series championships. The Dodgers tomorrow May encounter some weather issues. As I'm live at National's Park right now, the groundscrew has the tarp on the infield and they are expecting rain tomorrow. There's one hundred percent chance of rain. The game is supposed to start tomorrow at ten thirty five Pacific time one thirty five Eastern time here on Easter Sunday, and there's rain in the forecast, and the round screw people told me that don't expect the rain to let up anytime before three o'clock. So we may be rushing to get to the ballpark at for a one thirty start and be sitting around here. The good news is the Nationals press box food is really good. They got a grill back there, the best chicken tenders in the game. So who knows, I might be uh, I might be grazing a little bit more during that rain delay. But it always feels like the Dodgers when they come to DC during the regular season. It seems like there's always at least one game where there's a rain delay. And I thought we were gonna get out clean this time, but unfortunately it doesn't look that way. And tomorrow it's the last game of this series and the Dodgers are headed to Toronto, Canada for that much anticipated rematch against the Blue Jays, and I feel like it's gonna be World Series type atmosphere at Rogers Center. But reality is, it's three games in April, so there's gonna be a lot of hype, a lot of hoopla around that game. I'm sure the fans in Toronto are gonna be on their feet again like they were during Game seven of the World Series.
Speaker 2: But what highlights are they gonna show? I mean, what can they show?
Speaker 3: What highlights are they going to show in Toronto when the Dodgers are there? Because the Dodgers not only won the World Series, but they won.
Speaker 2: It in their house.
Speaker 3: They forced a Game seven in Game six by somehow, some way pulling that out with Tyler Glass now on the mound, He's the one that got the save. And I'll never forget those sequence of events. As Glass now came in, got Ernie Clement, who set a postseason record for the most hits in the postseason last year.
Speaker 2: He swung at the first pitch and fouled out. That was huge, And.
Speaker 3: Then of course keiy A Hernandez doubling off Addison Barger to end the game. That's where you know, the base running by the Blue Jays got iffy to be polite in Game six and Game seven, and it just felt like the Blue Jays started to realize where they were. But what are what are they going to show at Rogers Center? What can they show? They're gonna show now met Bo Baschett hitting a three run home run off of Otani Yamamoto is scheduled to pitch in Toronto.
Speaker 2: They're gonna be reminded of his heroics.
Speaker 3: So nothing good could come out of the Blue Jays Rogers Center. Trying to troll the Dodgers because scoreboard, baby, right, like Jim Rome likes to say, scoreboard, there's nothing you there's nothing you control. Because the Dodgers were the ones that basically, uh, wrap that noose around their neck, and he kind of felt like it was getting tighter and tighter as Game six was going on, and uh, look it was a great Game seven. Uh, but the Blue Jays didn't do the little things and the Dodgers did. And Andy pot had made that incredible catch coming out of nowhere. I believe it was a six or seven percent catch probability for Paz on that ball that Ernie Clement hit and the Dodgers. I mean, come on, you still have to go back and watch that game seven to believe how the Dodgers were able to pull that off.
Speaker 2: Let's go out to Pacoima. Daniel, You're on Dodger Talk Live from Washington, DC. Hi, Daniel, Hey, how you doing, Dave.
Speaker 3: I'm doing great. I'm looking forward to going to Toronto. I think that's gonna be uh, that's gonna give us the boost of energy early in the season.
Speaker 5: Oh, definitely. I think the bets our clicking went out at the right time, went through a little bit of a cold streak, but the warming up now, so it's it's pretty exciting times. I got a question, if Mookie Bitch does go on the disabled list, can you see them calling somebody up?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I could see them calling up Hayesong Kim. I think that would be the most logical answer because he could play stop, he could play second, and he brings the speed dimension, So I would I would choose Hey Song Kim, and I probably will see him here tomorrow.
Speaker 5: All right, all right for sure, Dave. What about James Tibbs, He's been on a te lately, but we don't really got a place there unlets somebody gets hurt, right Yeah, if.
Speaker 3: He if he was an infielder, I would say yes, he would be here. But he's an outfielder. And Alex call Uh got his first at bat today and he got excuse me, his first start, and he got his first at bat in game number seven of the season. So there's really no there's no place for TIBs right now unless somebody else gets hurt, which you hope doesn't happen.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, thank you, Dave for the time. I appreciate you.
Speaker 2: Okay, Daniel, thank you for the phone call.
Speaker 3: Yeah, James Tibbs has continued his hot spring at Triple A Oklahoma City, but there's no place for him to play, and you know he's gonna have to wait his turn like Hay Song Kim. I mean, they chose Alex Freeland over Kim. And look at this. I told you, opportunities present themselves even if you don't make the opening day roster. We've seen it time and time again with the Dodgers, and this possibly could open an opportunity for Hasan Kim with the injury to Mookie Bets. But keeping your fingers crossed this injury is not too serious because the Dodgers need Mooki. He had a great psyche about him. He homered yesterday. He's feeling good, he's stronger. So you just hope this doesn't set him back too much. All right, Tomorrow, Game three of the series. The Dodgers looking for the sweep, and the only thing that can slow the Dodgers down here in Washington, DC is the rain, and there is rain expected in the forecast. We are expected to have first pitch at ten thirty five, or scheduled to have it at ten thirty five Pacific time on Easter Sunday. Our coverage Rain or Shine begins at nine thirty with Roki Sasaki on the mound, going up against Foster Griffin. So we'll se see how Rokie does tomorrow, not only trying to get his season on track, but also dealing with the weather conditions and what many believe will be at least an hour to two hour delay before we get first pitch thrown. Thanks to calling me back at our Burbank studios, thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here at Nationals Park in Washington, DC, and thanks to you for listening in case you missed any of the show or our pregame conversation with Chris Archer, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app. Once again, the final score from Washington, d C. The Dodgers scored ten more runs and beat the Nats ten to five. Have a great rest of your Saturday. We'll talk to you tomorrow.
Speaker 2: See you