Speaker 1: Mac the other day while grilling up some man meat, some steaks.
Speaker 2: I do, Michael, I want some of your man meat.
Speaker 1: Once again, as we do every single summer, I am hit directly in the face by a lot of smoke and gets in my eyes, makes my eyes water very, very red. I'm going to ask you, as the smoke expert. Yeah, what am I supposed to do?
Speaker 2: That's just sort of a part of grilling. There's a fire, Fire creates a smoke.
Speaker 1: I know, but I've asked you in the past, what is the least lame way to protect my eyes? Because protecting yourself, by definition is lame.
Speaker 2: I think you should just wear some gogs.
Speaker 1: Do you think I can wear rex?
Speaker 2: Beex sure? Why not?
Speaker 1: I would look so stupid.
Speaker 2: My actual answer, I think would be you're probably grilling it too high of.
Speaker 1: A heat that makes a better food.
Speaker 2: Well, it's a point of no return. I mean, I get I get it. But my guess is, if you're dealing with a lot of smoke all the time, you probably get it too hot.
Speaker 1: But what's more important the taste or my eyes?
Speaker 2: No, there's a marriage there the taste. I don't you know. I don't think you're sacrificing on taste if you grill it right now. I guess it depends on what you're grilling, and are you using any sort of oils as you tops on the grill, You're just letting the natural juices do this.
Speaker 1: I'll slather. There's some olive oil on there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, see that's your issue. Usual number one. You got to use at least avocado oil. It's a higher smoke point. I think olive oil is like four hundred. Avocado oil is five hundred degrees fahrenheit, So that means if your grill is under five hundred degrees, you're not going to get the smoke from the oil. With olive oil, it's like three eighty or four hund.
Speaker 1: I'm usually hitting about seven hundred though.
Speaker 2: That's where I would start with first, especially with steaks and meats switched to avocado oil.
Speaker 1: Do you think if I wore really big sunglasses, I would look cool and people wouldn't know that I was crying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Or you could do goggles under really big sunglasses.
Speaker 1: So you want me to do big science bill nice fucking goggles. Yeah, put aviators on over them.
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, there you go. One? Good? Three?
Speaker 1: Yeah, just three King of Queen Marl Street Entertainment. I'm Goo and I'm Mac, and we are the Mac and Goo Program. We bring you friendship and sweat. If you're watching on YouTube right now, we are drenched.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you right now. So far, it's not too bad in this basement. In about twenty or thirty minutes, probably gonna get pretty hot. I saw what I what. I a little peak behind the curtain here. Let the people into your home, metaphorical and physical. I'm recording in my basement. My basement has two rooms, a finish in an unfinished room. We're in the finished part of it. I put up a curtain to separate this from the unfinished There's a doorway, but no door the unfinish part as the washer, dryer, etcetera. I'm going away in twenty four hours, and I'm working twenty four hours straight, so I gotta get all my laundry and packing done today before I leave for work tonight. So I'm running laundry all day long, all day long, all day long, because of course I procrastinate, and it's getting hotter than it was an hour ago because I'm just running machinery down here.
Speaker 1: I live on the second floor of a house. I am not subterranean like yac so I am.
Speaker 2: A little a little well insulated.
Speaker 1: Here.
Speaker 2: It's not unbearable. But the headphones don't help either. No, the worst cans about the over ear as opposed to on ear or earbuds is your ears and your head. Just retain that heat.
Speaker 1: If I pass out, you guys know why, I'll call it down on one for you. No, you should like rush to my house and save me.
Speaker 2: No, because then I get all your trinkets if.
Speaker 1: You die, lot, plainly keep it short tail you right now.
Speaker 2: I don't remember the last time we did this, but today we're doing five pretty new and notable movies here. I have two, Goo has three, and then we have one that you put in there. Are we gonna talk about sheet detectives?
Speaker 1: You can talk about it. I haven't watched it yet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe i'll mention it. So maybe six movies here all have had decent success in the form of box office Notable or yeah, notable is the word for them.
Speaker 1: You might have already said notable. I might just be id you know that's.
Speaker 2: A good word. Notable is a good word.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, put one on the board. If I had the sound effect.
Speaker 2: The unfortunate truth today is there's no crossover with no crossovers.
Speaker 1: So when Mac talks, I'm gonna leaves the conditioning, And then when I talk, Ma's gonna leave. I haven't seen it, and he's gonna dry off his bald head. Are you someone like a Craig Robinson who carries around a towel?
Speaker 2: Depends what the activity is and the temperature is. But like if I'm golfing, obviously I'll have some towels. Maybe if I'm out for the day somewhere and I know I'm gonna be outdoors, I'll bring a fat eye towel.
Speaker 1: Back eye towel, or like a nineties quarterback towel.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, Without further ag, Goo, let's jump into it. We'll start you off with Backrooms. Goo. The Backrooms has been in the theaters for a month now. This is theater's on May twenty ninth. It's an A twenty four production. Gu It is doing gangbusters. It's still making money at the theater. Up to three hundred and thirty point eight million worldwide, one hundred and eighty four domestic. All of that Goo off a ten million dollar budget. So this has been a massive success for everyone involved, and this has become notable along with Obsession.
Speaker 1: It is crazy how at first when this came out, this overshadowed Obsession, and then since then, after that first week, Obsession jumped right back ahead of it.
Speaker 2: I think this was one that a lot of people had anticipated because of everything involved with it, and then I think Obsession was just so good and getting compared to this, and people were realizing, oh, an obsession is better than it.
Speaker 1: Also, again, at the point of when this was released, Caine Parsons, the director, twenty years old. Now that piece of shit is twenty one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll talk about that too in a second. Good This is an R rated horror, sci fi and thriller. You have sub genres here found footage psychological horror and psychological thriller, supernatural horror. This is a run time of one hundred and ten minutes on roddy te's eighty seven percent from the critics, seventy four percent from the audience, a seventy seven on Metacritic, and so in general, this is one that the critics are liking more than the audience. And I think once you see that, you start to understand why it's weird. It's weird, it takes some swings. It's you know, you're dealing with psychological stuff that maybe a lot of commers just start really picking up on that. Maybe some more cultured folk.
Speaker 1: Are also this movie and I haven't seen it, but Macaz promises a lot. Does it give you that back?
Speaker 2: So that was at least the issue for me. I don't know if people had that issue in the first couple of weeks, but because this has been getting hyped so much in on that same level roughly obsession, I was expecting a pretty great movie and what was delivered was a real mixed bag. The first like thirty minutes of this kind of stink, kinda bad. Like if I was watching on my own, I would have shut it off, but we had a couple.
Speaker 1: Of people watching none my own.
Speaker 2: But right around thirty minutes something happens that like swerves you and you're like, oh, I wasn't expecting that at all. And then the next like hour twenties really good, really intriguing, but then the final like fifteen stink again. So the best way to describe this for me is someone made a sandwich with stale bread. The meat and the components. Great. The bread.
Speaker 1: Is the bread stale or is it starting to turn a little green? Whatever you want to call it, because you can still toast stale bread and it's still edible.
Speaker 2: Maybe one side of it is moldly, the other sides just stale. It's a really weird journey that this movie takes. Year.
Speaker 1: I've seen that if bread is stale, even if you cut the green off, you still shouldn't eat the rest of the bread.
Speaker 2: Well that's moldy.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, but mold get rid of the Yeah.
Speaker 2: Just because you're not seeing a color as it mean, it's not there, I know.
Speaker 1: But we need that for medicine. What if I need to solve my scurvy goo? You talk? You mentioned watching on your own. This title of the movie makes me think of in the nineties, you go into a Blockbuster and you rent the wrong movie by accident.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, indeed.
Speaker 1: Like I famously one time rented The Lady's Room instead of the Ladies Man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a little different, And then I was afraid was by a criminal.
Speaker 1: I was afraid to watch it because I said, what if my parents then see what the tape was. I just reported it and said I think we got the wrong movie, and I.
Speaker 2: Called the cops.
Speaker 1: I called the police and said, Blockbusters got to go to jail.
Speaker 2: Go. Back Room's written by Will Suitic, predominantly known for Ash Versus Evil Dead, the TV series upcoming. He's got two projects, very very religious oriented, Alter and God's Countries, So maybe those will.
Speaker 1: Are they religious or anti religious? I don't know actually, or horror religious?
Speaker 2: Yeah, there you go. Also written by Kane Parsons, who's the director here. As Gou mentioned above, Kane Parsons, at just twenty years old, made this movie, directed this movie, and it all stems from a YouTube series that he created in twenty twenty two. He might be better known to some of you younger folks online as Caine Pixels, and he's a self taught filmmaker and visual effects prodigy. That's what they're calling him, prodigy.
Speaker 1: So he's not school smarty, street smart.
Speaker 2: So his original YouTube short for this went viral and he's a mass more than one hundred and ninety million views on YouTube. And part of the appeal of the back Rooms is one it's simplicity into the analog horror state that like sort of makes you that you think of with classic horror movies, and I think what people are also finding intriguing with this is it it's very easily relatable in that it's nothing in everything, and also the psychological horror here. You could see yourself identifying with two so that I think that's really the main thing that are drawing people to this movie and the main takeaways of.
Speaker 1: It is Cain Parsons, the Jason Tatum of the movie industry.
Speaker 2: I we're gonna need a second one before we decide that.
Speaker 1: I'm saying more that we're gonna say for years that he's just twenty.
Speaker 2: Yes, he's only nineteen. He's only nineteen goos synopsis of Back Rooms. After a therapist's patient disappears into a dimension beyond reality, reality, she must venture into the unknown to save him. This movie stars She would tell a G four as Clark, He's the main character. Renade Reinsve as Mary, she's the therapist, Mark duplas we know him, we love him, as Phil Finn Bennett as Bobby Lukeito Maxwell's cat. Really, it's just those first two that you need to know. The other three maybe have ten twelve fifteen minutes combined of screen time and good. The story behind this movie begins way back in twenty nineteen when there was an anonymous user on four Chan. He posted or she posted, They posted an unsettling image of an empty, yellow papered room rooms, and the photo came with a caption, if you're not careful, you and you no clip out of reality. Cafful careful. If you know, clip out of reality in the wrong areas, I'll have a video game. You'll end up in the back rooms where it's nothing but the stink of old moist carpet, the madness of mono yellow, the endless background noise of fluorescent lights at maximum hum and approximately six hundred million square miles of randomly segmented empty rooms to be tapped in. So that original post then became super popular, built off of that, culminating in Cane Parsons series in twenty twenty two. Gout. This movie is intriguing because of a lot of things that I just mentioned, and because it's kind of easy to relate to in some capacity. However, I think the biggest thing is you can tell the screenwriting for this was done by amateurs or first timers, because the flow of it into the sandwich from the bread to the meat and back is terrible. It's bad.
Speaker 1: So how about the direction.
Speaker 2: So the direction is fun and interesting because you can tell Caine Parsons knows what scares people and knows that a lot of what's scary is not necessarily what you see, it's the anticipation of it, and so they play with a lot of that. And then this common idea of like the emptiness of rooms and getting lost in an endless maze, that's really scary, and they play that up a bit here. But what this really but this movie really is and becomes underneath it is a story about someone having you know, a psychological expert expert episode split say, there is a deep seated thing here that I think a better script writer really could have pulled out of this movie and done better. So that part was disappointing. And on that too, they spend the first half hour really trying to get you to buy into that, and you just don't, and you almost it's almost unwatchable until it's not. And then that middle hour of the movie is fucking awesome. It's really intriguing, and then when they get to the end of it to wrap it up, you're like, how don't why did they do that? Why? So they just sort of leave you in a weird spot, several unanswered questions and questions that I didn't even care to look up because I was pretty annoyed and didn't didn't love the movie. To me, there's shades in here of The Cube. Have you ever seen The Cube? It's a nineties movie kind of of this same vein, like lost in an endless twisting maze, and like.
Speaker 1: Three, it's when you put a three next to the number it yeah, little map and go for you. Yeah.
Speaker 2: There's a little bit of Barbarian here too, like under the parts of.
Speaker 1: Barbarian or the worst parts of Barbarian the.
Speaker 2: Best parts of Barbarian. So that's why I think this movie has had some staying power. And then there's a little bit of like being John Malkovich two that you're kind of in someone's head or you're not really sure where you are and you're dealing with the psychological thing there. I'm sure there's other comparisons too, but those are the three that came to mind from me. So at times this movie has you fully intrigued, and other times you're mad or nearly turn it out. It ends up being like a twenty seven dog movie. For me, I think it's worth watching just for the discussion. I see why some people are loving it. I also see why it only has seventy four percent on roddy Te's. So I think it's a movie worth watching discussing. I'd be interested to hear your opinion on it, But to me, it's not nearly close to Obsession or any of the best movies of the year.
Speaker 1: Have you ever gone through like a corn maze or some kind of a maze, A big maze?
Speaker 2: Every fall, well, not everything you get out? Many falls?
Speaker 1: Did you get out?
Speaker 2: Always? Always?
Speaker 1: I don't think i'd make it out. I'd be living there. Let's move on to the next movie that I checked out last night. Highly anticipated, I would.
Speaker 2: Say, opening in theaters this weekend, right.
Speaker 1: So, I believe it was a limited release last week, and I'm not sure if it's a I don't think they're doing a wide release on it.
Speaker 2: Interesting.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure I could be making that up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you might be.
Speaker 1: The Invites twenty twenty six rated R. This is a comedy drama hour and forty seven minutes. You do feel that a little bit ninety four on Rotten Tomatoes from the critic eighty on Metacritic. That's high, but it's only from twenty nine critics so far, so expect a bit of a slip. Directed by Olivia wild written by Will McCormick and Rashida Jones. Also, it's based off of a age play that's based off of a Spanish book film maybe that's written by Cess Gay I believe, and it is starring This is it in the movie, These four people, no one else. It's a big bottle episode. We're in an apartment and that's it. Olivia Wilde, Edward Norton, Penelope Cruz and Seth Rogan. Joe and Angela's marriage is on the ice, is on thin ice. As a matter of fact. When they invite their enigmatic upstairs neighbors for a dinner party, the night spirals into unexpected places. Just in that synopsis, I don't think it was that unexpected. I thought a lot of the twists and turns were very telegraphed. And also the couple being on thin ice, you kind of saw where that was going as well.
Speaker 2: Yes, so there's really only two routes. This movie can take maybe a third if you combine the two.
Speaker 1: Right, you have Tyler free by the way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you have the sexual way where the you know, the neighbors maybe they crush streams there, or the violent way when you already have neighbors on the rocks in weird neighbors. Right, So I would expect one of those two.
Speaker 1: So let me tell you this right now. It's funny. It's a funny movie. The jokes are really well placed out and it's very Seth Rogan heavy on the comedy, but Edward Norton also funny. And the way that Olivia Wilde is very neurotic also adds to the comedy. It's well written, well directed, and well acted. There's almost more writers than there are actors in the movie. I don't know if that counts for anything, but it uses the space of the apartment really really well, and like I said, it is in just one space. And I could see any of these four receiving some kind of a nomination when it comes to award season. I don't think any of them are actually gonna win anything, but just the nomination is nice. But on the on side of that, like I said, I think anytime that something is introduced in this movie, the result of it is kind of predictable, and you saw a lot of it coming. Granted, the journey to get to where they end up is fun. The conversation is fascinating. I think it's extremely well written and it might bring you asking questions about your own life that are important. I think that it's one of those types of movies. Okay, my biggest issue, and I like Seth Rogan. I'll say it again. I like Seth Rogan. I wish they almost had any other leading actor in this movie, because I could not separate his character, seeing him, hearing him the jokes from Seth Rogan, and as I am trying to get lost in this story, which at points I was, Seth Rogan brought me out of it.
Speaker 2: He saw that note when I opened the document here, and I was like, oh, maybe that's a little too harsh.
Speaker 1: Is it harsh?
Speaker 2: And then I thought to myself, Gou I had started the studio like three months ago, and I enjoyed what I had watched, and then once I stepped away from it, I was like, I don't think I want to go back, because as good as some of the aspects of that show are, every single episode, Seth Rogan his character is made to be annoying, but also Seth Rogan like took me out of it, because look.
Speaker 1: I really like Seth Rogen. I love what he's done for comedy. I love this stuff that he produces. It's just that when you see something with Seth Rogan in it, it's so hard to separate the actor from like the role that he's portraying.
Speaker 2: The minute he laughs.
Speaker 1: Well, Like, there's a scene in this when he's like, oh, I'm gonna go smoke a joint and you're like, a all right, I bet that wasn't even in the scripts, Like all right, okay, dude. It also takes one extra little poke at the end, which is a little spoilery that I kind of wish they didn't do. Okay, but this is a very good movie. I have it in my top three or four on the year. It's also a week year, so keep that in mind. It's getting stronger, and we're about to get a whole lot stronger the next couple of weeks. But I enjoyed this. I'm around like thirty three, thirty four hot Dogs. I think it's ok. Expecting I think it's six. Seth Rogen, It really it takes me out of it. I was doing my best and I, once again I enjoyed the movie. I thought it was very, very funny. I thought the situations. I thought the it's a lot of real life situational stuff. I want to get lost in this movie and I couldn't. Okay, I want to get taken to a dream world of magic.
Speaker 2: That's a fair criticism that right there, Goose should be your your little episode tease for the week. If you put out a tease for the invite.
Speaker 1: You think I'm gonna put anything. Oh did I say to score yet? Did I say my score?
Speaker 2: You did?
Speaker 1: You said, yeah, thirty three, thirty four. Yeah, it's good though, it's very good, all right, I recommend it. Oh, someone did want to know if the movie sniffs its own farts a little bit. That's gonna happen though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 1: I mean that's what this podcast is. We legit farting too the microphone and then goode.
Speaker 2: Next up on the docket here, Masters of the Universe. This came out first weekend of June June fifth. This is an Amazon MGM production. It has made one hundred and nine point six million not good at the worldwide box office save it worse sixty three million domestic. The budget for this movie was around one hundred and seventy to two hundred million. There's no definitive number yet. The marketing was crazy, So I'm guessing this has about four hundred million dollars it needs to make to.
Speaker 1: Makeby all over the place, and.
Speaker 2: Then consider that you only get half that. So it's this is going to lose a lot of money for Amazon. MGM, good it's a PG thirteen. Didn't put the genres there? Whoops?
Speaker 1: Just make it up?
Speaker 2: Sci fi adventure? Yeah, sure, they try some comeds xy? Why not? Eighties nostalgia is the genre here? Run time of one hundred and forty minutes, and boy do you feel it? Boy do you feel it? It's long. If you cut this by fifteen minutes, you'd probably have a much better movie.
Speaker 1: Did it get a pomp? When he said I of the power?
Speaker 2: So there's a couple cool scenes in this movie that even you and I not growing up a massive universe. I'm like, all right, I can fuck with that.
Speaker 1: I'm not a he man guy, sure just a little past I caught the tail end of the eighties.
Speaker 2: I'm more of a ThunderCats Guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's it, ThunderCats. I'm a gi Joe boy.
Speaker 2: Going Roddy t sixty eight percent from the critics, eighty six percent from the audience, So j in general did pretty well, Like I don't think you could have expected better scores than that for this movie. A fifty two on Metacritic. This is written by Chris Butler, Adam and Aaron Nee, The Knee Brothers, The Knee Boys, and Dave Callahan. Chris Butler you'd know him from Power, Norman Kubo and The Two Strings, who he worked with on with the director of this movie, Travis Knight, and Missing Link. Upcoming, he's writing for Wildwood that comes out later this year. The Knee Brothers Goo you'd really only know from The Lost City that came out a couple years ago.
Speaker 1: So the Knee Brothers, I'm the first names are left and right.
Speaker 2: They also have an indie movie that did pretty well called The Band of Robbers. Upcoming, they're doing the untitled Henry Cavill Kevin Hart Netflix spy comedy.
Speaker 1: About that that's not going to be good.
Speaker 2: And then we have Dave Callahan here, who has such an interesting, interesting run over the last twenty years. He was the writer on Doom, The Expendables, Godzilla from twenty fourteen, Zombie Land, Double Tap, Wonder Woman nineteen eighty four, Mortal Kombat, Shang Chi, and The Legend of the Ten Rings, Spider Man Across the Spider Verse. Upcoming, he's doing Godzilla X Kong Supernova, Spider Man Beyond the Spider Verse, and something called Street Justice.
Speaker 1: So I'm not going to do any research. I'm assuming that this Callahan Fella, much like this movie, is a writer on all of those movies. Those movies all seem like they have three to four writers on them. For the most part.
Speaker 2: That is the case in some of them, but you would be surprised, which is why he has such an interesting journey. This movie is directed by the aforementioned Travis Knight, who's directed two movies so far. That's it Kobo and the Two Strings, wildly successful, bubble Bee, which also did really within, and upcoming he's doing that Wildwood movie this year. He's also working on The six Billion Dollar Man in something called Pyreneesi. Synopsis of Masters of the Universe, a young man on Earth discovers a fabulous secret legacy as the prince of an alien planet and must recover a magic sword and return home to protect his kingdom. This movie stars Nicholas Galazine Galay He's Russian, though he's not Italian as Adam slash he Man, Camilla Mendez is Tila Idris Idris Elba as Duncan, Jared Lettle Eskeletor, Johannes hakor Johannesen as Fisto What a great name, John ju Jiang as, Alison Brie as Evil Lynn, Sam C. Wilson as trap Jowsh, Charlotte Riley's Queen, Marlena James Purefoys King Grandor, Marina Backeran as the Sorceress, and Kristen wigg as the voice of ROBOTOO. Your hands raised big question.
Speaker 1: We all want to know. How is Jared Leto.
Speaker 2: I had no qualms with motion captured Jared Lettle here, he was the least of the mob.
Speaker 1: Music trying to tell you right now that wasn't motion capture whatever. That was him. He took his skin.
Speaker 2: Off, whatever you want to call it. It was decent, It was good.
Speaker 1: Do you think so? From the reviews that I have read is that they tried to split the baby with the bathwater of appealing to a younger audience and to the nostalgia of the you know fathers that would be taking or the grandfathers now that would be taking the kids to the movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Do you think they should have just leaned into complete eighties cheese.
Speaker 2: So that That's where I don't know, because they middled it. I'm not sure which side of it I liked more. So. It's not campy enough to really play up to the true He Man fans matches of the Universe fans, and it's not good enough on the other side, Like, I think what they were shooting war for somewhat was the Crispine Dungeons and Dragons movie, and I think they wanted some of that.
Speaker 1: Wasn't it the same production company?
Speaker 2: Maybe, I'm not sure. And also the issue in this movie Goo is much like we saw it Supergirl. There's like nothing original in here. Okay, you've seen every bit of story note.
Speaker 1: From a show called He.
Speaker 2: And you also were like it felt like some of the characters and actors were in one movie and somewhere in the other. Because of that split. There were a couple of fun scenes. There are a couple of fun ideas in here. At times it looks great and other times it looks fucking horrible, so they got they kind of middle that too. It does feel more like a straight to Prime movie than it does a big theater movie, so that hurts it. But it's not bad like it's. It's enjoyable enough. I didn't regret watching it. I would say it's like barely floating. You know. For fans of the franchise, I could see them going either way on it, hating it because they middle it, or loving it because they got some notes right. I wouldn't recommend spending money on this, but when it's free to stream on Prime, go for it. It's it's there's some enjoyability here, all right?
Speaker 1: Are you ready for this? So the people that create movies, are you taking notes? I recommend that you try and create another Masters of the Universe movie. This one though production budget seven and eighty dollars. All practical effects make it like the movie from the late eighties early nineties with dolfh Longren, and I think that you will capture the older audience that wants that cheese.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he has a cameo in here, goose, Oh what does he do? It's just he talks to the main guy for like a minute.
Speaker 1: Is he a scientist who can smell crime?
Speaker 2: They're lifting weights in the gym, pumping iron.
Speaker 1: Oh hell yes, hell yes.
Speaker 2: Maybe I was too harsh for this. I gave it to too hot dogs. It's not for me, And I guess my review is a little kind of it then that it's in that range like twenty two to twenty four, kind of sinking that maybe maybe a float. But yeah, I again, don't spend your heart earned, you know, shekels on this thing.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you where to spend your money if you got kids, because this will keep them quiet for ninety minutes and an ice cold movie theater Menyansen Monsters twenty twenty six PG. Like I said, ninety minutes in eighty nine percent critical rating right now on Rotten Tomatoes. That is going to change. It was at ninety three yesterday, a sixty eight on Metacritic. And I saw this on social media, and this makes complete sense to me. The reason why it is so high, the reason why the seventh movie in the Minion franchise slash spinoff series, because these are separated a little bit from the Groo movies. Is that critics love old Hollywood.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I didn't know the premise of this movie until like a week ago.
Speaker 1: This takes place where two minions, not the ones that we follow in the Other Minions movies, they make movies during the silent movie era, and then when we start getting talkies, people say, what the hell are these little guys? We don't understand them. So then they go and they get an old spell book and they bring a monster to make a monster movie who ends up being a real bad guy.
Speaker 2: M the monster, the Titular Monster.
Speaker 1: The Titular Monster, although it's not really the Titular Monster. There's several monsters in the movie. One of them is voiced by Bobby moynihan. The other one, and I'll tell you this right now, I loved him in this role because it just sounds like South Park. Trey Parker as Goomy was awesome.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right. I'm also a sucker for Bobby mornan. I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Bobby moynihan. It's also great listening to him with interviews because whenever they asked him about he's done so much voiceover work, and he always thinks that his part is gonna be cut from the movie. He's like, yeah, I don't know if this one was that great. And then they're like, no, you're the You're the star of the movie. Man, we're not cutting you from the movie.
Speaker 2: I've probably said this one hundred and twenty five times. Horatio Sans walked so Bobby mornihan could.
Speaker 1: Run Horatio Sans speaking of bad guys. I was gonna say, I don't I don't know what's going on. I know there was a story. I don't know the advancement of that story. Bobby moynihan, he was a very interesting person on SNL. He was able to do a lot of things, but he never filled the role that everyone thought he was gonna do, which was, you know, a funny, fat guy. He was never that.
Speaker 2: He's at his best in the David S. Pumpkins sketch.
Speaker 1: He's very good in that sketch. And like I said, he's a really good voice actor who just pops up every time that he does a sitcom, like he was in the Ted Danson's The Mayor Show, right, sure, he's now in the other show where Tracy Morgan is something. The Mayor's Tracy Morgan's the mayor. He pops up whenever someone's the man.
Speaker 2: Of actors, actresses, comedians of the nineties and two thousand sq. I saw Ariy Spears at the Chevalier Theater, Chevali Yeer Theater, whoever it's called it.
Speaker 1: Recently, Yeah, a week ship from Josie and the Pussycats.
Speaker 2: From Mad TV. It was good. It was really good. I enjoyed the shit out of it.
Speaker 1: That's the recommendation from the show. Go and check him out. If Bobby Lee is in your town, go find him. If Frank Kellyando's in your town, you go find him.
Speaker 2: If Will Sass was playing, you see him.
Speaker 1: You find Michael McDonald. You look for uh, Buddy Swanley. Miss Mazel was gonna say, Miss Masel, I was looking for a family guy. You look for King of Queens.
Speaker 2: If Moe Collins co.
Speaker 1: Fuck who else is on Mad TV? We're falling apart here. We only have eight people, which I'll say the show pretty good. Team, that's pretty good.
Speaker 2: There was a they unfortunately went up against a really strong era of SNL. But Mad TV was fucking great.
Speaker 1: So you were about to say that it outshined SNL during its time.
Speaker 2: I wasn't gonna say that, doubt.
Speaker 1: You were about to. I saw it falling off the tip of your tongue.
Speaker 2: No, no, no.
Speaker 1: But that was right at the start of the Will Ferrell time, the perfect time to have Will Ferrell to combat the I would say the more immature slash a little more teeth. I would say that SNL.
Speaker 2: Well, Matt TV leaned into the nineties of sthetic quicker than SNL dead and it was a little more edgy than SNL for a little bit.
Speaker 1: But also a little more mean. They weren't afraid to get mean, and one might think offensive at certain things too. Talk to the microphone, Stewart is such a we might. I don't know how well this episode would do. Do you want to draft Mad TV characters or sketches or performers? We can do performers.
Speaker 2: We'll circle back to that in the fall.
Speaker 1: Hopefully the CW will pick it up again.
Speaker 2: Good minions, monsters, minions and monsters.
Speaker 1: None of the actors that we just mentioned from Mad TV or in the movie, though, this has a murderer's row of actors in it, though, and we talked about in the asked how Mario the two movies. What a complete waste of talent. This might be a bigger waste of talent when you look at you have Alice and Janny, Christoph Waltz, Jeff Bridge is Jesse Eisenberg. Why are they in this movie?
Speaker 2: Are they playing minions or other characters?
Speaker 1: No, the only minion is Pierre Coffin, who's also the director and writer. Okay, really has a monopoly on the minions. I'd say share, you share. Those little yellow bastards passing.
Speaker 2: Around mina culture is weird. Gu I'll tell you that.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna say I'm a gentle minion. I'm close. I appreciate the fuck out of the minions.
Speaker 2: Are you making your wife painter face and wear overalls?
Speaker 1: I'm not allowed to do that. Maybe when I get that pair of goggles for grilling, I found out reason to get them, I'll get the minion one. And then you have to like shave your hair, but leave a couple hairs to comb over or spike.
Speaker 2: Some Homer Simpson action.
Speaker 1: Goes little Homer Simpson action on them minions. Do they steal that from the Simpsons? They're yellow mac This follows the Minions in the nineteen twenties Hollywood, as they search for frighten creatures for their monster movie. They partner with a little green bastard and then they try to save the planet after that monster unleashes more monsters on the world. The resolution of this movie doesn't make any sense. And while watching it, I looked at my son. The character that Jesse Eisenberg plays is a robot, I think, but you think he's a human the whole time. All right, maybe he is an actual robot. I don't know. I looked at my son and I said, this is weird. Huh. He's like, yeah, it was a weird time had by all. But I really loved Trey Parker as Goomy in this. The voice was somewhere between Cartman butters Kyle st It was a nice little thing. Plus he had a little thing in the front like a Zoidberg. So then a really good cameo from George Lucas. Oh all right, I had a lull time with that. Okay, Then we move on to I love Looney Tunes style shit, and I love them bringing it back to have that style of comedy with these characters. And they had a Citizen's Kane joke in this that I don't think the kids would understand, but I cackled at it all right. The minions, they were performing citizens Kane, Citizen Kane, not Citizen's Kane.
Speaker 2: Multiple canes.
Speaker 1: There's no cane in the movie, mac sure. And as opposed to saying Rosebud because the minions can't really speak, it says like as it drops the globe because ah.
Speaker 2: Poop, that's gonna get me every time.
Speaker 1: Storry to spoil the movie, guys, I didn't mean to spoil the movie. So while I love the funny bits in this, and I appreciate it for the kids, because you know, Pixar tries to go above and beyond and you know with their storytelling and really reach a wide audience. This does, like I said, what the Looney Tunes do, which is, let's just tell jokes and be silly. Let's slapstick garbage. And they do a great job at that. I've enjoyed that in all of their movies. But what I don't really love about the movies, and this goes for all of them, it's the stitching of those comedy bits together to tell the story. I get wildly bored as we go from comedy bit to comedy bit the family guys. Well no, it's just like, well, we have to make this story make sense, so let's bridge the gap here. If it was like the Looney Tunes when they used to just have their animated shows on Saturday Sunday and it's just a six minute bit, I think that better serves the material. Okay, I do question now because this is a movie about the Minions making a movie about a Minions movie. Okay, are the Minions getting too meta? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I suppose so, But then in two movies they the meta, it becomes meta. That's meta.
Speaker 1: Then we look at this is the biggest pop of the movie. I don't want to skip ahead thirty seconds. This is the biggest pop of the movie. The kids in the audience went wild when this happened. In the post credit scene, by the way, eleven post credit scenes. In the post credit scene, one of the minions is doing spells and it keeps on turning farm animals into different versions of Grew. Yeah, and then Grew walks up and he's like, all that are you're doing here? I could be Grew in the next movie. That was me doing an audition for them to hear in case Steve Carell gets too expensive. And what the minion does because he's afraid he does want Grew to, you know, I don't know, hit him or something. What does Grew usually do to the minions?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: So what he does is he does a spell and then Grew loses all of his clothes nude, he's nude. The kids went nuts.
Speaker 2: Is Grew a grower or a sure?
Speaker 1: Is he a grower or a shure? The kids went nuts? The kids lost it. So minions, I would have this like twenty eight, twenty nine. Is it the best of the series. I think they're all very, very similar. My son loved it, he had a great time. I enjoyed the looney tune stuff. I'd probably have it in my top ten on the year. But I've only seen seven movies.
Speaker 2: All right. Gue, Well, I've kind of run out of time here, So maybe we say toy Story for its own episode next week once I finally see it.
Speaker 1: Do you want to do that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I could do that.
Speaker 1: Let's get into Maxack and Maxac could be anything. It could be a boat in Mac. I shot you a text yesterday because I believed I thought in my head I knew to myself that I had seen your lovely lady Kara at the gym. Kara, I thought you were dating Supergirl, not Supergirl. I thought you were dating Supergirl.
Speaker 2: She's my Supergirl. You like that? Good?
Speaker 1: Holy shit? Wow, look at this guy over here. Wow. I saw someone on social media being like, oh, they they're all super girls. To me, that was a good joke. I enjoyed that. So whatever. I so went at the gym, and she did give me a little bit of a wave, but I thought it was her. Couldn't confirm it in my mind without looking back at her, and I didn't want to do that in case it wasn't her. Like, when I'm at the gym, I am so tunnel vision and I don't look at anybody, especially women who you know are being goggled, googled, googled. I do my best to not make anyone feel uncomfortable at the gym. And also, this is a place where I am every single day, so I don't want to feel uncomfortable if someone then is uncomfortable with me being there. So I just kind of put my head down. I didn't say hi, just out of fear. Yes, I texted, I apologized. I hope she appreciated my apology.
Speaker 2: By doing or not doing anything you just said. It was a very confusing time the last two minutes. You in fact made her a little uncomfortable because she's like, I mess I like smiled, and he just didn't do anything.
Speaker 1: I didn't know what to do.
Speaker 2: She's fully moved in now, right, but she's been spending a lot of time, a lot more time here now her place, over the last few months, and so she definitely you're a noticeable fellow with that muzzy on your face. She noticed you there a couple months ago, but obviously you guys don't really know each other that well. So she did. She wasn't gonna say anything, and then she was like, oh, I saw a goog earlier. I gave him a little smile. He didn't acknowledge me.
Speaker 1: She was also wearing glasses, though true, she's I've never seen her in glasses, so got a Kara Kent thing going. So I really had to think in my head, like what if she took off those glasses, that could be the one that could be And I don't want to overstep and then become a social pariah at my gym. This is my second home. Right, I can't mess this up, and I.
Speaker 2: Rely on you to go there so that you can also go to Target and peak Pokemon drops.
Speaker 1: So I also keep an eye on any of those muscle heads that might be moving in on your lady.
Speaker 2: Thank you appreciate that.
Speaker 1: Any of those. I can't think of a funny word. Any popeyes, well, no, baby Bluto your popeye?
Speaker 2: Oh all right, okay, sure.
Speaker 1: If I ever see this happen, I would then call nine to one one Mac would pick up, and then he would head to the gym with a nice can of spinach.
Speaker 2: Uh. Well, folks, we we sold just short today because I have run out of time. But we'll give you toy story next week and we will mention sheep detectives right now. I saw it. See it if you'd like. I thought it kind of stunk. People are loving that movie. How about that? We got to five? We got to five.
Speaker 1: Brick the folks find us.
Speaker 2: The folks can find us on Instagram and Twitter, at Mac and gooo podcast. Every other platform is mac Ampersango, that's Mac, just seven goo that it could Facebook, stitch Er, Tuning, Cashbucks, prec, Google Play, iHeart Radio. It's so hot.
Speaker 1: I'm so fucking hot.
Speaker 2: Spotify. More importantly, Apple Podcasts, get on that rate review subscribe five stars. If you do, maybe one of these days in the future, you'll get a free T shirt from the folks over at Watertown Sports where Watertown Sports were thirty four mod Auburn treated Watertown Watertownsports were dot Com expert screenprinting and embroidery.
Speaker 1: So this cold brew no ice, fucked up? No, no, I actually ordered it with ice.
Speaker 2: It's just a room brew.
Speaker 1: I'll say. All the ice has melted. And yes, this is it was a hot coffee. Now, actually, this is the hottest fucking room. Do you remember when you used to record at my house. Yeah, it's very similar.
Speaker 2: Is well, what's hotter that room or the one prior?
Speaker 1: Well, it used to be hotter because when you were at my house more hot takes sure. Sure, And that one time that Sean Silver brought over a big bag of red and pink starbursts.
Speaker 2: Go once again, run the air conditioner, conditioner, I know, put one in the window. I have a fan and run an air conditioner for an hour before you record. Then you enter the room and you get a nice run.
Speaker 1: I have a fandelier. I have a real fandol hear you thought I had one that comes down. No, no, it's flushed to the ceiling. It's a nice airflowing here. But I can't turn it on during the show because I don't want to get the the people mad.
Speaker 2: You're gonna be hearing my washer machine going this or dryer going this whole time.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna slap it through some AI take it out love that. I'm not gonna do that. Hey fuck AI? Am I right? You see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and they're doing a Netflix show and they're using Ai. Gene Wilder.
Speaker 2: Maybe he signed a thing so his family did. Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 1: It's called money. But he sounds like John Lovitz. You could have just hired John Lovetz. I guess you could have Tuesdays or Guesdays. I have used kangaroos. Happy Fourth of July by America to fifty Ay.
Speaker 2: Where celebration go. Listen to the two hundred and fiftieth episode of Mack and Goo.
Speaker 1: Please flip the cassette over to side B to continue the adventure. Now it's time for girls. I'm gonna jump back to jumping on trampolines. I think the worms have played out. The worms are gone. Now it's time for girls jumping on trampolines. Zizzickzucky. Oh, let's just be the mancho