Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begun.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 1: Fifth a spring training Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: Here we go again.
Speaker 4: We're going to running back, hosted by Dodgers insider David Basset. How three in the Max to get in on the show called eight six six nine eighty seven two five seven, and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you catch your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Here's your host, David Bassei.
Speaker 2: Wow, I'm here to rescue you from that last segment of Petros and money and maybe even rescue you from the last four hours on Dodger Talk. We are with you tonight until eight o'clock. We are to have a great guest for you at the bottom of the hour. That is two time World Series champion Daniel Hudson, who was the last man standing on the mound for the Nationals in twenty nineteen and more importantly, one of the anchors and leaders of the Dodger bullpen that rescued the Dodgers to the twenty twenty four World Championship, and one of the smartest guys the Dodgers and baseball has had in the last fifteen years. So I feel like I feel like Heckel and Jekyl the last four years kind of put down Daniel Hudson. I know they had a very accomplished GM from the NFL on and then decide to replay it. I feel like that replay went one more time than it needed to. What's Tom Tolesco ever done? Win? What one playoff game? How long did he last as the Raiders GM? Four months? And he's an expert? Who's on tomorrow? John Paul Morosi still tracking Shoeo Tani's jet to Toronto. Oh man, we could do this too. We could do this too. I love it though. I love that Petros literally saved the segment by going through the bullpen roll call. I did enjoy that, now, I did enjoy that. That was good spirited fun. So I'm just having my own fun right there. I have some issues too with Little league dads that will get to in a moment. I might need your help on how to deal with that because I drove back from spring training just to see my son's first little league game, and some parents take it a lot more serious. Lee than others do. There's some guys that really really believe their ten year old is in the big leagues. And this one guy I got warned. I got warned when I showed up. I drove straight from Glendale, Arizona, to West Hills to watch my son's first game, and I got warned by one of the dads I know, and he's like, oh, this guy's a beauty. I was like, all right, how bad could he be? Well, his kid was catching the entire game, and every single pitch the dad was micromanaging him. And then it gets even better. He starts getting on the umpire and by the end of the game he's dropping F bombs and getting thrown out. So what do you do with a dad like that? I just literally came from watching the back to back world champion Dodgers and nobody was acting the way this guy was acting. Am I going to have to deal with this the entire season? I mean F bombs with ten year olds there. If you have any advice on how to deal with this guy, let me know. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy. Even the Hood Instagram legend the Hood of Los Angeles showed up coincidentally and witnessed all this, and uh, maybe I gotta bring Petros. Maybe I gotta bring Petros, you know, the morality police to my kids, literallygue game to figure all this out. So we'll see how it goes. I'm not sure if I'll be able to make it to Game two this weekend, but we'll see how it plays out. But I mean, literally, some of these parents, and I hope you're not one of them. It's embarrassing. You're embarrassing yourself, your kid, your family. It's really embarrassing ten year olds. Really, you think he's what will smith back there? Come on, I'm sure Tim Kates never acted that way or his family. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. I bet this dad would have gone really wild if Roki Sasaki was his son. Because Roki Sasaki in the first inning today did not get out of it. Dave Roberts had to roll the inning, as they like to say, and take him out in the middle of the inning after not being able to find the strike zone. He walked three and gave up a grand slam. But then he came back for the second inning and looked a little better. Retired the side in order did not give up a run, So that was a relief I think in some ways, considering now, the Dodger starting rotation is looking a little thinner than it was even a month ago. The Dodgers somewhat need Roki Sasaki to be a guy that they can rely on for at least five innings once a week. I mean, because this guy is not going to pitch every five days as we saw last year. Roki Sasaki is going to be a once a week pitcher, and you would hope once a week pitchers would be able to give you five, maybe six innings. Is that too much to ask? And look, this is still a work in progress, but there's some sort of responsibility. He has to not put the Dodger bullpen in a bad spot every time he goes out there, because that's what we saw most of the time early in the season. And look, Roki was huge to the Dodgers' run to the World Series. There's no arguing that. But they need him, if he's going to be part of the rotation, to be a five inning guy at the very least. Good news as far as the rotation goes, River Ryan again had a very good outing. He pitched in relief, pitched two no hit innings, had three strikeouts. But he's coming off Tommy John surgery. I kind of feel like the Dodgers are strategizing rolling him out the way they rolled out Emid Shehan last year in the second half of the season. But they may be forced to bring him along a little quicker right now. If you look at the Dodgers opening day rotation with Snell not being ready and Gavin Stone having a setback with coming back from shoulder surgery, you're looking at a starting five verse six of Yamamoto, Glass, now, Sheehan, Otani, Robleski, and Roki Sasaki. And that's why I mentioned the Petro some money that a guy that you may want to keep in mind is Cole Irvin. Cole Irvin is a veteran from the A's that can be a multi inning reliever to give the Dodgers some coverage. Because now Robleski, who the Dodgers do believe can be a very good starter, but they just didn't have a spot for him all of a sudden, now is going to get his opportunity to be in the starting rotation and river Ryan coming along in the second half. And you know, I thought part of the most obvious thing at camp the first couple of weeks is the fact that Blake Snow was not going to be ready for opening Day. I didn't need Dave Roberts to say that. It was apparent. He hasn't thrown off the mound. There's no bullpen session. What he's doing right now playing catch from ninety to one hundred and twenty feet is what pitchers do to get ready for spring training in December, maybe January, but in December. So by the time spring training ends, he may be throwing bullpen sessions. He may have just started throwing to hitters, and that's a two month process. You've got to get six starts under your belt. That takes time. So I know I had the over under at single demile, but I certainly believe it's the over. It's going to be closer to June. So you know, Snell has an endearing quality that even though he's not ready for the beginning of most seasons, and when he is, he wins the cy young. But if you look back at the last few years, his endearing quality is that you can, especially if you're the Dodgers say all right, yeah, okay, you're it's not ideal. It's not ideal. But if you come back in June or July and you never look back and you pitched the way you did in the NLDS and the NLCS and gut it out in the World Series, all right, we can handle that. But Blake's now better be ready to perform when it matters the most, and he has shown an ability to do that, especially as recently as last year. Eight sixty six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. When we continue on Dodger Talk, you'll hear part of our conversation with JD. Martinez in case you missed it last Friday. He is the Mookie Bets whisperer and Team USA, as you heard Petro some money really detail had their first scrimmage against who was it. I don't even know who. They scrimmaged against. Kershaw. He's in Arizona, not with the Dodgers, but with Team USA. You'll hear from the future Hall of Famer as well. This is Dodger Talk, David Vasse. You until eight o'clock right here on a five to seventy LA Sports. It's a Tom Telasco Free Zone on Dodger Talk. No failed nflgms on this show. Only winners like Daniel Hudson, a two time World Series champion, coming up at the bottom of the hour. And you know, certainly the Dodgers are rolling in spring training nine to three after a five to four win. Miguel Rojas hit a two run home run today. So Rojas, in his final major league season, came to camp ready, just like virtually every Dodger did. And that's why I'm a firm believer the Dodgers have a great chance to at least get to the NLCS. And I'm starting to believe the people in Florida that have been texting me, calling me that letting me know that the Mets might be the toughest competition for the Dodgers. And there are rave reviews of Nolan McClain, the young rookie right hander for the Mets who was supposed to join Team USA but had to stay back in Florida because he was experiencing vertigo. So he is going to join Team USA a little bit later. And in case you love the World Baseball Classic, Team USA finally got together yesterday and they played their first exhibition game today Roman Anthony homerd against the Giants in Scottsdale, and they'll be headed to Houston for the first round of the World Baseball Classic with the one and only Clayton Kershaw, who you'll hear from in just a moment. Kershaw is number one, so are my friends at Downy Hunday. My guy Sam, number one dealer in the USSA, USA, USA number one, and now they're going for the repeat in twenty six, similar to the Dodgers going for the three peat. My guy Sam at Downey Hunday, he's got more selection, he's got more trust, he's got more reasons for you to choose Downy Hunday. And you never know, you might see me driving in a Downy Hunday on the way to Opening Day. Matted blue, I think is what I'm looking at there. So look out for me on the one oh one, I'll be exiting Alvarado, and look out for my guy Sam at Downey Hunday. They are the champs of USA and Southern California. Don't forget it. Eight six six, nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. Speaking of USA, we had America's DH on the show Friday night, JD Martinez who is playing in a celebrity pickleball tournament out there in Lakinta before the tennis tournament begins at Indian Wells, and he let us in on just how much he he helped Mookie Beds salvage his season in September.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, I mean me and Muk go way back, so you know, for him, I definitely made the exception of coming out and going out there and spending a weekend with him and you know, trying to get him back on track. It was like God, a few times.
Speaker 3: We did it?
Speaker 6: Did it?
Speaker 3: I did it there?
Speaker 5: And then I did in l A too.
Speaker 2: Did you really?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 5: Yeah, help him with?
Speaker 2: What do you help him with? How? Why does j D Martinez connect with him so much?
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think we both a want of trust. He trusts me, uh he you know, he values my opinion on everything, and from there it was kind of one of those things where we just we work well together and I don't know, I feel like I just have a really good understanding of his swing and his mind, you know, Muki's on Mook's you know, unbelievable unbelievable talent, as everybody knows. It's just sometimes this game it just derails you sometimes and you need someone to you know, lock it back in.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 7: Robert was that guy. Robert was that guy for me.
Speaker 5: You know, every time I would get derailed, Robert would kind of guide me back in and it was a lot of trust that I put into him, and it always kind of works. Sometimes you just got to turn your brain off and let someone else.
Speaker 7: Think for you, cause you just get in.
Speaker 5: Your own way.
Speaker 2: Mooky's coming to camp earlier than I've ever seen him come to camp to work since twenty twenty. Do you expect him you know, there's a lot of people that expect the beginning of the end last year for Mookie. Do you expect him to have, you know, more of a Mookie type year?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I mean, you just the thing with Muk is you just you know, you never know, he just turns on a switch and all of a sudden, he doesn't get out for freaking three months, and you're like, what the heck just happened. It's like Freddie, you know, they're.
Speaker 7: Able to just go on these runs.
Speaker 8: Where you're like, good luck.
Speaker 3: Yeah for me, I always expect Muki to have a great year.
Speaker 5: You know, I tell him every I tell him all the time. I said, Muke, I said, there's no reason that you can't win MVP every single year because you have that kind of ability.
Speaker 2: And if I mean too you again this year, would you answer the phone? Would they be able to suck you back into the cage?
Speaker 5: I mean, if Mooki called me, yeah, I definitely would, you know, I mean, Muki's my guy, so what interest.
Speaker 3: We've always had a big relationship there.
Speaker 2: He is JD Martinez, the Mookie Whisperer along with being America's DH. It was great having him on the show. And I know we were aware of the fact that JD. Martinez met up with Mooki at an off side batting cage when the team was in Tampa, and that's kind of where Mooki hit rock bottom offensively. And I had no idea that JD. Martinez came to LA after that to help him as well. And that's where Mookie salvaged his season. He was really good in September and he was good in the postseason. And when you hear JD. Martinez say he could flip that switch and go on a tear and never get out. Well, he never had that last year. But Mooky's in a great place coming into camp. And I'm not just you know, throwing out hyperboles out there. This is the look Mookie Betts had when he first came to the Dodgers in twenty twenty. He has said this a couple of different times this spring. He's in a better place than he has been in a long time, starting the year with the Dodgers. So that is good for the Dodgers. And I'm sure he's heard the critics. People think he's thirty three years old and it's the beginning of the end. But he wants to win a Gold Glove at shortstop and he feels like his swing is in a great spot that it never was going into the season last year. Eight six, six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Ontario. Josh, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 8: How you doing, Josh, Hey, Dave, thanks for taking my call. I actually love the recent injury deal with Chase Utley. And then I got me thinking, where's Matt Kent's whereabouts, Like, what's his exact role with the Dodgers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Matt Kemp does not have a role with the Dodgers. Josh. He's back in I think he lives in Oklahoma or Texas. He's got some things going on out there and hasn't made it back to the West Coast to Dodgers Stadium or dear Camp in a couple of years. So I would love to see Matt Kemp be more involved, come out like Ethier and Utley and Eric Carros does. But I guess he's he's got other things going on out there where he lives.
Speaker 8: Oh okay, all right, Well I was hoping to see him. I hopefully we see him.
Speaker 3: More opting I love.
Speaker 8: But I think you're for taking my call, dude.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no problem, Josh. Yeah, I would love to see Matt camp out there. It's been great to see so many former Dodgers that played as recent lee as two years ago, like Daniel Hudson did. He meant a lot to Walker Bueller when he came to the Dodgers the first time in twenty eighteen. They picked up where they left off when he joined back in twenty twenty one, and he was the guy in the bullpen when Walker Buehler was warming up. You know, I believe Daniel Hudson actually felt a tweak in his arm and that's the reason why he couldn't come in. So that's why the shoulder everything was on the shoulders of Walker Bueller, and Daniel Hudson is going to join us coming up in about five minutes. Before we get to him, I want to share with you that Clayton Kershaw showed up at Scottsdale Stadium to join Team USA's World Baseball Classic team. He was in great spirits. He has that retirement glow, and it feels like the burden of being part of this team is off the shoulders of him. It feels like everybody else has, you know, the constraints of their team. They have the expectations of the baseball world. But Kershaw is there to help out whenever innings are called for because he's retired and the Dodgers don't have any sort of leash on how many innings he can pitch. Everybody else has constraints like schoo ball or Paul's schemes. Rightfully so, and that's the reason why Mark Deurosa invited Kershaw to be part of this team. To be able to pitch innings. Let's say there's a blowout either way. Why waste innings of a guy that you can only use in certain certain ways. You have a cap on innings and games, why use them. Kershaw is fully aware of that, and he joined MLB Network yesterday to just go through what his role and his expectations are being part of this team.
Speaker 9: You know, I don't have a season to prepare for, so I'm here just if there's an innings problem, if there's a pitchcount problem.
Speaker 3: I'm here.
Speaker 9: I can pitch every day.
Speaker 3: This is it for me.
Speaker 9: So if they want me to throw a thousand pitches, I'm in for it. And you know it might not be pretty, but I'll get the job done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he will. I mean the one thing that he does and he has done throughout his entire career, and that's compete no matter if he was feeling great, if he was feeling mediocre, if he was feeling great, he goes out there and competes. And that's probably the only interest I have in the World Baseball Classic until it gets to the final game, is Kershaw and how he does and how he gets into games. So I'm looking forward to seeing twenty two and the Red, White and Blue get out on the mound and do his thing and see what he's got in retirement. This was kind of a late forming thing in December. Feels like his body exiled and then he had to kind of get it going. He was throwing to high school kids in Texas to somewhat get ready for this. And I know he's been self depreciate that if he has to come in to face Otani, team USA is not in a great spot. But Otani, in case you don't know, this is zero four eleven against Kershawn his career when they faced each other when Otani was pitching playing for the Angels. All right, we're gonna take a time out when we continue. Daniel Hudson, two time World Series champion and the leader of the bullpen Dogs that led the way for the Dodgers in twenty twenty four, will join us next right here on Dodger Talk on AM five to seventy LA Sports. Welcome back to Dodger Talk. David Vasse with you until eight o'clock tonight here on AM five to seventy LA Sports. Well, it's been a great spring training for the Dodgers, not only as the players get ready for the three peat, but also so many of the former Dodgers over the years have come back in uniform and out of uniform, whether it's Andre Ethier or Eric Carross or Chase Utley. It's been great to see those guys. But what's even more special is when you see guys that have been part of the twenty or twenty four World Series championship. And I ran into one of them last week, and that is one of the bullpen Dogs from twenty twenty four, a two time World Series champion, but especially a Dodger champion in twenty twenty four, and that is Daniel Hudson. Hodey, thanks a lot for coming on. Appreciate it.
Speaker 3: No prom David, You're too kind.
Speaker 2: Hey. I was driving around Arizona. I heard some sports talk show say that you're gonna be their baseball correspondent. I said, Hey, I gotta jump these guys. He's Dodger Talks own first. They got to come through Dodger Talk to get Daniel Hudson.
Speaker 10: Hey, there's plenty, plenty of hours in the day. You know, we can all have a little bit, you.
Speaker 2: Know, Okay, I got something for you since you were out there at Camelback Ranch. When you're around the guys and you see spring training starting again, you're a couple of years removed. Now does the itch, does the desire to want to come back and pitch start to take over you? Or are you feeling like pain is optional these days?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 10: I was a little I was a little nervous my first spring training. Not playing last year, how I was gonna feel. But once spring training came, I towards the end of my career, I came to loads spring training, so I was not missing that very much at all. Opening day, I stayed busy, didn't really didn't try not to think about it too much. And then you know, I just got kind of got busy doing life. And you know, I definitely don't miss the grind of every day prepping for games. And you know, spring training obviously miss I miss competing, I missed playing, and I miss the guys. But at the same time, I'm really enjoying my time here at home with the family, and you know, it's been really good so far.
Speaker 2: I've told a few different players, and I'm a true believer in this. You had a lot of adversity in your fifteen year career and you continue to purse, serve and the game rewarded you. We always talk about Kershaw going out as a World Series champion, but how rewarding and gratifying was it for you to retire as a World Series champion? To go out the way you did a healthy season and you pitched sixty five games plus the postseason and you were such a big part of it. Does that make you feel more at peace than maybe other players that retire who don't get that opportunity.
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 10: I always had the the the idea, that thought, you know, I wanted to go out on my own terms always, you know, going what I going through, what I went through at the beginning of my career with a couple arm surgeries and not knowing how much longer I was going to be able to play, and then turning that into sticking around ten plus years after that, you know, towards the end of my career, I really was like, I need to kind of find a runway here so I don't stick around too long. You know, I saw guys throughout my career, you know, whether it was monetarily motivated or you know, they just fel like they were good enough to keep going kind of stick around too long, or at least in my opinion, I thought they did, you know, And I never really wanted to go out like that. So to be able to kind of, you know, latch on with the Dodgers there in twenty twenty two through twenty twenty four and get opportunity to do that, Obviously, my injuries in twenty two and twenty three didn't help, but I knew going into twenty four that if I got another chance to play that it was going to be my last year. And you know, like you said, to be able to go out on top of like it's just a dream come true, and you know, I really got to fulfill my dream of going out of my own terms.
Speaker 2: You have a great perspective on what the Dodgers were and what they've become because you were with them two separate times. You were with them in eighteen when they went to the World Series against the Red Sox and lost, and then you came back and you know, obviously in twenty twenty two and ended it with the championship in twenty four when Otani arrived. So can you describe to us where what the Dodgers were in twenty eighteen, and how they become this juggernaut in the last two years.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I think, well, I mean just going back even farther, going back to win. You know, obviously the sale of the Dodgers in the early twenty tens. You know, this kind of whole deal. This run for them started I think with like twenty thirteen or twenty fourteen. You know, they've always just kind of been a model of consistency since then. And you know, they've gotten the right people in the right places in the front office that are really aggressive and always want to win.
Speaker 3: They've got the right ownership in.
Speaker 10: Place to always be able to back it up with the checks, to be able to bring in the right people, and they always seem to get the right guys in the clubhouse to make it a good culture, and guys that want to come from other places and play for them. You know, Yes, they spend a lot more money than everybody else. That is also a big draw for players. But I think when you play against the Dodgers, or at least from my perspective, when I played against them at the beginning of my career, you know, it always seem like a good, good culture, good clubhouse, and you know, it's something that guys want to be a part of. So I think it starts and starts with that. And then, like you said in twenty seventeen twenty eighteen, going to back to back World Series losing both of them, I think really probably a little fire under a lot of people in that front office and ownership, and they really wanted to kind of take a stranglehold and get past that little homp. And you know, they've won three World Series in the last five years, and I think that shows do you.
Speaker 2: What do you make of I call it envy and jealousy of the rest of the league. What do you How do you you feel the way things have kind of turned the Dodgers into I guess in what everybody is calling the Evil Empire. There's a lot of talk that they're ruining baseball. Some people, like myself, believe they're helping baseball. Where do you think all this comes from.
Speaker 10: I think it's just, you know, people throw around the term parody all the time. You know, growing up in the nineties and two thousands watching baseball, you know, everybody hated the Yankees. They spent more money than everybody else. They were the biggest brand in sports, you know, outside maybe the Cowboys. But you know, it's just I don't it's easy to hate the team that wins if you're not a team a fan of that team, And I think that's kind of what's going on in LA. Obviously, you know, they have bigger check books and everybody else, they can sign more players, but like I said, it starts with the culture and bring in the right guys. They always seem to bring in the right guys.
Speaker 3: They have smart.
Speaker 10: People to you know, identify who they want to bring in every single off season. H Yeah, everybody talks about the big names, the show Hayes, the Yaoamotos, Freddie Freeman, rookie bats, bringing all those guys in, but there's so much under the surface of you know, DFA guys that they claim and guys off the trash heap, so to speak, that they fix and they create this depth that really helps out for when guys like Blake Snell and Tyler Glass now go down last year, they have guys that can step in like ms she Han. Hopefully Gavin Stone will be one of those guys this year. It's just it's just a very, very wealth of depths that they have underneath all those big name stars. And I think that's really a big envy for a lot of people, a lot of teams, a lot of fans, And I'm with you, I think it's I think it's good for the game. I don't know what people would rather the goog Andheim group do with all their billions of dollars in revenue. Would they rather than pocket it and not put it back onto the field. I just don't really, I don't really understand what they want them to do, just sit on their twitterle their thumbs with all their cash, like like, just let's let's spend the money that we made and keep winning. I don't understand why that's a bad thing.
Speaker 2: Doesn't this come down to show heeo Tani as well, wanting to win and deferring as much of his salary as he did so the Dodgers could bring in really good players to build around him.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I'm not so convinced that the Dodgers wouldn't have spent all the money they have anyways, even if show Hey didn't defer sixty eight million dollars a year. But at the same time, yes, for sure, and from what I've read and understood, there was a couple other teams that offered show Hey the exact same deal with deferred money. I think it was show Hay's idea that I heard anyways, that it was his idea to defer most of the money so that we could that they could sign more guys and not go spend six hundred million dollars on payroll, although they're getting close to that right now anyways. But you know, I think it just goes to show you that any team can can kind of do the exact same thing that they did, and some teams just chose not to and show Hey. Ultimately, I think I'm convinced that if there was a DH in the National League in twenty whenever he came over and played for the Angels, that he probably would have signed with the Dodgers then. So I think that once there was a DH and the National League, that kind of seal the deal that he was coming over.
Speaker 2: Daniel Hudson is our guest one of the twenty four bullpen dogs that started the back to back championship as the Dodgers are looking for at three pete all right, since where he brought up Otani. Was there a perception of him that you had and then was torn down, or you got to know something more about him being teammates with him. Albeit in twenty four he was just a fifty to fifty hitter. But what was he like as a teammate to you? As a bullpen.
Speaker 3: Dog, he was awesome.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 3: I didn't really get to know him too much.
Speaker 10: I was actually in spring training with the Angels in twenty eighteen, twenty nineteen, before he was rehabbing his first Tommy John, so he wasn't around a whole lot. He stood in on some bullpens that I threw, talked to him a little bit.
Speaker 3: Just a really really good guy.
Speaker 10: Like I said, I don't think if he wasn't a good guy, regardless of how good of a ballplayer he was, I'm not sure that the Dodgers would have brought him in if he wasn't a guy like I said. They're just so you know, in tune with with that clubhouse and what needs to be brought in. And you know, he's just a really, really fantastic teammate. I really enjoyed playing with him. Obviously him being the best baseball player to ever play the game really helps out when he's on your side. It's literally, it's just a it was just a privilege to be able to to watch it from the bullpen gates every single night.
Speaker 2: Before I let you go, I'm not I know you're enjoying your three girls, your family. You got a chance to go back to your hometown in North Carolina this past year. But since you are in Arizona and so many players reside out there, and you always hear about, you know, hitters training there in Arizona, could you ever envision yourself being a guy that would would open the doors to what you have to offer, even as like a personal pitching coach or one of those guys that instead of a hitter going to see maybe they they come to see Daniel Hudson for some pitching help.
Speaker 10: Yeah, you know, there's always an opportunity like that out here. Like you said, there's there's just really good place for guys to kind of settle down for the off season. There's really good weather obviously in the off season to be able to get outside and actually throw outside. I know a lot of teammates that are in the Midwest or the East Coast, you know, they have to do a lot of throwing indoors. It's really good spot to be able to to get outside and really just kind of let it loose, and you know, there's always that kind of opportunity. The guys that I played with always know that my cell phone's always on if they need anything. I've always I've let all of them know that. You know, there's there's there are many different avenues that that this can go down. Right now, like I said, like you said, I'm enjoying my family time, but there's also you know, if somebody calls me and needs me for a certain thing, there's definitely things that I'd look into for sure.
Speaker 2: That's awesome. You have so much to offer, Daniel, And I know how much everybody that you played with really respect you and what you stood for and just the way that you prepared and fought through so many things. So I'm glad I got to see you out there. It was bad luck for you because maybe maybe a Dodger talk will tap into you just as much as Burns and Gambo out there in Arizona.
Speaker 10: Anytime, David, my phone's always on, Like I said, my.
Speaker 2: Guy, Daniel Hudson love it, and I'll have the fingers over my lips as we hang up. Thanks for the time, appreciate it.
Speaker 3: No prom buddy, anytime there it goes.
Speaker 2: Daniel Hudson, awesome guy. Contributed so much to the game and especially the Dodgers in twenty twenty four. And if you're a Dodger fan, you know what I was referring to right there as we were hanging up Daniel Hudson. Regular season and twenty twenty four, the Dodgers were kind of spiraling when they were in City Field at that point in time, it was June. They were playing a doubleheader. Things were not looking good. In the first game of that doubleheader, Daniel Hudson comes in, gets out of a jam that he created, and as he's coming off the field, he put his two fingers over his mouth to silence the crowd. And he said after that it wasn't for just the crowd, it was for his teammates to remember that they are the Dodgers. And from that point forward, the Dodgers swept the doubleheader. They actually swept the Mets in that three game series. That's where one of the Mets relievers threw his glove over the netting and they kicked him off the team, and the Mets started a spiral out of control at that point in time, until they, thanks to JD. Martinez by the way, righted the ship and found a way to get back into the postseason, and the Dodgers beat them in the NLCS. But Daniel Hudson met a lot to the Dodgers in twenty twenty four. And it's kind of incredible when you look back twenty years from now, especially at these first two championships the Dodgers have won, and if they win a third one in a row, I'm sure there'll be something unique about the way they went about it this time, but I can't remember. I mean, you look back at the last team to win back to back championships, the Yankees, who three peeded from ninety eight to two thousand. They basically did it the same way. Jeter Posada, Pettitt, Clemens Soriano, Tino Martinez. They did it that way. They did have different heroes. Aaron Boone was a hero, Scott Broches was a hero. They did have different heroes, but they essentially went about it the same way. The Dodgers in the last two World Series did it in completely different ways. In more ways than one. The pitching. It was the bullpen that carried the Dodgers pitching in twenty twenty four. Offensively, it was Freddy Freeman that carried the Dogs Dodgers through October. It was basically the Freddie Freeman, Tommy Edman show, Ta Oscar Hernandez show, keyk Hernandez contributing. But really it was Freddie Freeman, the aircraft carrier that carried those Dodgers to the championship and eventually won the World Series. MVP. Who can't forget Freddy meet or Gibbe meet Freddy the Grand Slam in Game one. And then last year, as you're well aware of, it was the Dodgers starters that carried the pitching staff. And it was everybody from Miguel Rojas to Will Smith, to Freddie Freeman to you know, Max Munsey. Everybody contributed one through twenty six to help win that World Series, and just specifically the pitching. The Dodger bullpen had nothing left. They were ineffective. There were a lot of things going on, injuries, the attacks of the previous year, Alex Vesia not on the World Series roster, and Dave Roberts had to deploy guys like Tyler Glassnow and Emmitt Shean and Blake Snell and Clayton Kershaw, Justin Robleski to cover the innings because there were very few and far relievers that were effective last year. And Roki Sasaki of course. So when you look back at the way the Dodgers have won these last two championships, Daniel Hudson was a huge part of the Dodgers winning it in twenty twenty four. And like I've told a few of those guys from twenty four, without the first one, there is no back to back championship. You might want to act like it never happened. I mean, we're all talking about Yamamoto, and I feel like we've all forgotten what Walker Bueller did and his heroics in the World Series. He was Yamamoto. And that's how quickly things change in this game. Walker Bueller went to Boston, got released, signed with the Phillies at the end of the year, never pitched in the NLDS, and now had to sign a minor league deal with the Padres. That's going to be weird. And the Padres now have what three of the twenty eighteen Dodgers on their team very emotional guys and Manny Machado, Alex Verdugo and Walker Bueller and oh speaking of the Padres, mister irrelevant Jerkson Profar popped again for performance enhancing drugs. He has suspended for the entire season after being a second time, second time offender. The players Association is going to appeal, but they're not going to win. Profar cheating and was caught twice after signing a big deal with the Atlanta Braves. So I guess he is somewhat relevant for the wrong reasons right now, but as the season goes along, mister irrelevant, eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. We have three phone lines open. I guess many of you are like that parent that I encountered at my son's little league game because nobody has any answers for an embarrassing performance from an over zealous parent, you know, screaming, dropping f bombs at umpires. I guess many of you are that guy. Let's go out to Kenoga Park. Duke. You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Duke?
Speaker 6: Very good? How you doing?
Speaker 2: I say, I'm doing great? You got any advice on how to deal with a dad like that.
Speaker 7: No, no, no, I want to have to Why don't you like the fans that were the championship gear? I heard you did saying like, oh, you're not gonna catch me wearing the twenty twenty five championship gear stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Oh no, no, I wasn't bashing that. I want to see the back to back. I feel like you're short changing the Dodgers when all you see is twenty twenty five. I'm winning, and I felt like they kind of deprived us a good back to back championship gear.
Speaker 7: Okay, okay, yeah, no, are you assuming that they're new fans?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I'm just saying that. I you know, when the Lakers won back to back championships, the Lakers with uh with Kobe and Gasol. You know, they had the Muppet hand with Kobe's rings. I hope Nike does that for Mookie. If the Dodgers win another ring, put up five rings with the Muppet hand for him. So yeah, that's my only issue. And hopefully when Opening Day rolls around at Dodgers Stadium, we'll have some back to back gear.
Speaker 7: All right, sounds good man, I'll be there.
Speaker 2: Okay, dude, thanks a lot for the phone call. Yeah, no, I'm just wondering what happened to the gear? Where's the back to back World Series gear? You know, That's what I'm looking for there. I'm not I know, Dodger fans are loyal. I know you're not just coming around at the last minute for sure. No, No, I'm just saying that if I have, you know, a certain amount of dollars to spend on Dodger gear, I'm going to Uh, I'm gonna wait till it says back to back champions. I mean, that's what they do for every other sports team that wins back to back titles. They don't just say twenty twenty five champions. And I haven't seen I haven't seen it. Let's go out to Steven Riverside, who's got some advice for me on Little League parenting? How do I deal with this?
Speaker 7: Dad?
Speaker 2: Steve?
Speaker 7: That's all radio well, me and my wife.
Speaker 11: As matter fact, we're just talking about this earlier on the way home, and about.
Speaker 12: How some of these parents act like they.
Speaker 11: Got the next King Griffy Junior or the next joi Otani and they want their kid to be out there, you know, just thinking that they're gonna make the millions of dollars later on. But you know, one thing, we just used to ignore it, and bat we get these parents they are you know, so I was just ignored.
Speaker 2: It just makes the experience. Uh, it just makes the experiment experience of watching your kid. Now I'm not just speaking for myself, but other parents that were around, it just doesn't make it enjoyable. And then you have the guy dropping f bombs. I just don't understand. Too many of these parents are trying to live through their ten year olds and it's like, dude, you missed your chance.
Speaker 12: Oh no, that's one hundred percent. And I'll tell you what. It happens at every park and every place. And we we've even moved our kids from Little League to Pony and back to Little League because of that situation back when they were playing when they're younger. And then you know, then you got the whole daddy ball aspect when you got there one manager who plays this kid or tells, you know, these other teams who want to get you know, stacked the deck with the team, and then they don't pick your kid for All Stars because.
Speaker 2: You know, that's a lot of drama, Steve, I don't care about that. I feel like, if you're good enough, you'll rise above all that. But yeah, I'm with you the pony. And this is the first time I've ever encountered I've heard about parents like this, but I've never never encountered it. But you'd be safe out there in Riverside and you're on the Dodgers, the real pros.
Speaker 12: Oh, of course, no doubt, Dave.
Speaker 7: All right, you have a good evening.
Speaker 2: Thank you, be safe. Let's go out to Fullerton. Antonio, you're on Dodger Talk with David Vasse.
Speaker 13: Hi, Antonio, David Vasse, it's an honor talking with you. Twenty twenty six Dodger Baseball and full of fag Spring training is on there. I just wanted to say thank you, David for everything you do for us Dodger fans, for Dodger Talk and by sevent y you do a lot, and I really appreciate it. We'll keep in touch this season.
Speaker 7: Go Dodgers.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you, Antonio. I appreciate it. I don't do anything. I don't swing a bat, I don't throw a pitch, but I'm here just to tell the story of the greatest period of time in Dodger baseball, the most successful period of time in Dodger baseball. I'm very fortunate to be doing this show during this period of time to document unprecedented success the Dodgers have had the last fourteen years and especially now the last five years, winning three championships and looking for a three p Let's take one more phone call my guy, Jim in Mission Viejo may have some advice for some of you parents out there. How are you doing, Jim, I'm doing good.
Speaker 6: I'll make it quick. I know it's too late for this, but beginning of every season, I would always call a meeting for just appearance, no kids, none of the players to be there, and I would say, you need to set your expectations here first. None of your kids or at least one of these kids might play high school baseball, so keep that in your mind. It's about fun. The second thing is is that if you're having problems with this parent right now, I would still call a meeting of just the parents, don't tell them what it's gonna be for, and I would call him out in front of the other parents and make him understand that it's not making it fun. Baseball at this level is not do or die. It is about having fun. And if you don't, if you call him out in front of the other parents, it might make a difference before you get farther into your season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. This guy doesn't have a lot of self awareness. So hopefully it gets better starting this weekend. So thank you, Jim, level headed guy right there. We need more of those parents around Pony and little leagues and let the kids enjoy it, don't burn them out, don't make them feel so scared to make a mistake and disappoint you. So that's the way it goes anyway. And also, you know, at a ten year old level, I don't think there should be catchers interference being called when you're ten years old. Come on, I mean, come on. The rules need to change and the expectations need to change. All right, Then I'll do for us on Dodger Talk. Thanks a lot for tuning in. We'll be back with you on Thursday night at seven o'clock, and then we'll have Dodgers Spring training baseball for you again on Saturday and Sunday. In case you missed our conversation with two time World Series champion bullpen dog himself, Daniel Hudson. You can find it on the iHeartRadio app. Thanks to Ronnie Fossio for all his help. Thanks to you for listening and calling in. Can't wait for this season to start. Opening Day is right around the corner March twenty sixth, and don't forget March twenty seventh, Game two of the season. That's a special day as well. Clayton Kershaw and the rest of the twenty twenty five World champion Dodgers will be receiving their rings. Yeah, the ring ceremony is before Game two of the season. Opening Day Festivities gets its own shine on March twenty six So a lot of time between now and then, but we are building up to that big homestand to celebrate the back to back World Series champion Dodgers coming up next Fox Sports Radio. We'll talk to you tomorrow on Petro Some Money. Don't hate me, Petros, you know I love you. Siya