Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talk. All right, we're joined right now by the Dodgers backup catcher, who obviously has had a whirlwind of a season back with the Dodgers, getting his first hit in a Dodger uniform on this road trip, and that's the one and only Chucky Robinson. Chucky, thanks a lot for the time appreciated.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I appreciate being here. Man.
Speaker 1: I feel like we barely know you. That's part of like this whole process of getting to know who you are and what you're about, what makes you tick. What's the experience been like for you?
Speaker 3: I mean it's been awesome, you know, being able to, you know, get back up and help the squad out.
Speaker 2: You know that this is why you play the game. So I'm having a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: What's it like being on this team, in this clubhouse with these players.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's awesome. You know, first and foremost, everybody's really cool. You know, everybody's good people, and then you add the talent behind it. You know, it has been a fun experience as.
Speaker 1: Far being a Dodger catcher is not being like a catcher on another team from what I understand, next level game planning, knowing that picture catcher relationship. What's that process been like for you?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean they definitely have all the resources you could imagine. You know, they'll be prepared for the game, and then the relationship part of it.
Speaker 2: I mean that's what I value the most.
Speaker 3: So I try to go out early and you know, catch bullpens, play catch with a lot of guys and just have conversations because I think the most important thing for me is building those relationships, maintaining them and just learning from each outing.
Speaker 1: Being around you more than I've ever been around you in your career. When you catch those bullpens, you are doing it with a purpose. You got that gear on, you are ready to go.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah you have protection first I need I need to have my gear on.
Speaker 3: But but but yeah, and it goes deeper than you know, just just catching the bullpens, you know, kind of getting the mind of the pictures and know what they want to do, know what they like, understand what they're working on. And then sometimes you know, you end up, you know, talking about the last last outing and how we can adjust and things like that.
Speaker 1: How much do you talk baseball with these guys, is in the dugout even when you're not catching.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think that's a huge part too, you know, watching the game. You know, when you're not playing every day, watching the game is huge because that's where all the information is at.
Speaker 2: So paying attention to the game.
Speaker 3: And then if I know who I'm catching in advance, then I'll get with him and we'll kind of game plan, you know, throughout the.
Speaker 1: Series, Chuckie Robinson is our guest in front of first pitch. The Dodgers are not going to have Will Smith for a little bit longer, Chucky. That gives you a lot more runway to be here with Dalton Rushing when you realize the dangers I guess, or part of the hazards of being a catcher. What is it about this position that drew you to it?
Speaker 3: I mean you're in I mean originally because you're in every play. You know, when you're a little kid, you don't want to be an outfield. But yeah, I'm in every play. I'm engaged and I love this position.
Speaker 1: Now with the abs and the pitch framing. You are one of those catchers, like a lot of them, that go down on your on your knees when you receive pitches. What is the thought process with that and your generation of catchers, especially now that you know, maybe pitch framing is not as emphasized as it was before.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think from the catcher's perspective, framing is still like a pretty pretty big part of it, you know, And it's still a pretty big measurable uh in the position. And when I first started out, I was on two feet, so I had to kind of transition into the into the one knee style. But uh, I definitely think to give you a leverage you're at the bottom of the zone. Yeah, and uh, I think guys like the target too.
Speaker 1: So I guess with only two challenges, the framing is still a big part of it now that you mention it, because you don't want to waste your challenges and you want to be able to present pitches and strikes the same way.
Speaker 3: No, yeah, exactly, I want to. I want to present the the pitches the best I can to the empire and use the challenges as strategic strategic as possible.
Speaker 1: Is the bottom of the zone still the biggest point of emphasis?
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, you just the lever starts from the ground and you work from the so it all starts there and then kind of just shot to funnel everything back to the middle.
Speaker 1: All right, CHECKI Robinson. Before I let you go, some rapid fire questions growing up? Who is your favorite.
Speaker 2: Player Benito Santiago?
Speaker 1: You ever throw runners out from your knees like Santiago?
Speaker 2: I have? Yeah? Yeah, nice? Nice? All right? Favorite food Italian food? Oh yeah, pasta pizza, pizza. Okay.
Speaker 1: Who's been your favorite teammate over the course of your professional career?
Speaker 2: Favorite teammate, I would say.
Speaker 1: Ryan Ward's over there, so don't be nervous.
Speaker 2: I would say Ronnie Dawson. Ronni, Yeah, who's that?
Speaker 3: We were drafting the same draft class back in twenty sixteen with.
Speaker 2: The Houston Nastros. Still friends, Yeah, friends? So this day I talked to him this morning.
Speaker 1: Do you still return text messages now you're a catcher with the Dodgers or do you go more people now?
Speaker 3: I mean, I've never been good at texting, but I'll call everybody. I'm so the same dude, I've had the same numb vers stinks to sixth grade.
Speaker 1: So wow, yeah, all right, Wow, the Robinson's led Chuck, you have a phone in sixth grade. How about that responsible guy. Thanks a lot for the time, great sharing you with Dodger fans, and stay healthy, keep it going.
Speaker 2: Thank you.