Speaker 1: You are now listening to The Jim Colbert Show on Real Radio.
Speaker 2: 104.1. That's right, guys.
Speaker 3: Here we go in a Wednesday edition of the Jim Colbert Show. Thank you so much for tuning in. We appreciate that as we do every single day. And we do have a banger of a program for you this afternoon. We will get you caught up on what's happening in the world. That will do that around 320 with JCS News. 345, Daryl Payne drops by from Pawfection Dog Training. We'll also have him for Animal House today. Scott Maxwell from the Orlando Sentinel at 4.20. 5 o'clock, it's trivia, and we'll end it up with Ross Thoughts, and you heard it here first. Your calls, texts, and talkbacks.
Speaker 2: All day long. Welcome to the show. I'm Jim. To my left, my lovely and very dangerous co-host, Ms. Deb Roberts.
Speaker 4: Hello there.
Speaker 2: Straight ahead, producer Jack Bradshaw. Good afternoon. Comedy alien Ross Padgett. Looking back on it, the bop-it toy was filled with innuendos. 407-916-1041. Text us at 77031.
Speaker 3: Find us easily on social, Instagram, Facebook, at The Jim Colbert Show on X. Just at Jim Colbert Show and all day, every day at JimColbertLive.com. That's where you can check us out on YouTube, watch us do the show, get involved with our question of the day, hop in the chat room. And if you want to send a talk back, have your voice heard, that's easy as well. Grab the iHeartRadio app, go straight to Real Radio and use that mic to send your comment over to Jack and we'll get you on the air.
Speaker 4: Turn you into a superstar.
Speaker 2: Superstar indeed how is everyone on this beautiful wednesday i'm ready to bop twist and pull baby yeah i think you're right on that toy though but that is uh you know uh cindy lopper had a song called she bop she better she bop yeah yeah and it was about uh you know it was about doing solos really yeah yeah that was a rumor is that true yeah is it really yeah i think it was yeah is.
Speaker 4: That the same thing with uh turning japanese.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly. Heard the same thing, yeah. Yeah, the vapors or whatever it was.
Speaker 4: Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese.
Speaker 5: Turning Japanese is about masturbating? Why do you have to use the word? I'll dance around it next time.
Speaker 2: Thank you. That's why I said solo. I'm sorry. Start dancing, Fred Astaire. That word is weird. It's 302, dude. People are getting dressed for magical dining and you're dropping these bombs on them. Hey, Ross is here, everybody. Hide your children. That's not the breaking news, though, that's happening here. Turning Japanese is about soloing.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, soloing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah. I think I'm turning Japanese. I'm thinking turning Japanese.
Speaker 4: I really think so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: Easy, Jack.
Speaker 2: Jack, what the hell? That's worse than what he said. Is this how it's going to be today? Who's got the liquor? That's the next verse in the song. It's Friday. And Shebop is supposed to be about that as well. Shebop. Oh, really?
Speaker 4: I had no idea. But then I did not know. And only recently learned what Prince's Little Red Corvette, I think, may have been about. I really don't know.
Speaker 6: What was that? What was that?
Speaker 2: I don't know about that one either one. A couple of like double A's? Little Red Corvette? I don't know.
Speaker 4: If anyone's going to know.
Speaker 2: Little Red Corvette. It's going to be Jack Bradshaw. I have no idea. Jack doesn't know where he is right now. I'm trying to get this banner off of our video. I know. I hate that.
Speaker 3: So there is a line in Little Red Corvette where he says, I got a pocket of horses.
Speaker 2: Or something like that. And it's Trojans, right? Right. And some of them used. Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So this is where we're going to lean on you. 77031. Text us and let us know. What does Little Red Corvette actually mean?
Speaker 2: Now, the one song I never could figure out was Sugar Walls by Sheena Easton. Was that a real question or a joke? I don't even know. I got to tell you.
Speaker 7: Same.
Speaker 2: It's so funny. I saw.
Speaker 3: Do you guys remember the old PMRC song? Tipper Gore, Al Gore. People who do not know back in the day.
Speaker 4: That's where we got the warnings on music.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 3: That whole PMRC, which is the parental materials. What was it, guys?
Speaker 2: Parental music advisory. PMRC. I think it's what actually sold albums. Yeah. They found, oh, it increased album sales. That's right. And they started– and today they listed– it was like– there's some anniversary of that. I think this is the day where they released the Dirty 15, which is the 15 songs that they thought should never be played on the air.
Speaker 4: I mean, I remember when my parents called me into their bedroom after Blondie's Rapture.
Speaker 2: Oh, really?
Speaker 4: I'd been pulled from the radio, and they were like, so– because I'm– Rapture? One of my favorite songs of all time. It's a cool tune, but it's not even remotely controversial. Then you weren't listening closely. Because my parents said, so do you know why they pulled that song?
Speaker 2: I do not know this.
Speaker 4: Oh, yeah, because they said his fingers. And my parents were like, oh, okay.
Speaker 6: All right.
Speaker 2: You got it. What happened with the fingers? Whoa, really?
Speaker 6: What?
Speaker 2: I want to know what the fingers do. Where the fingers go? Jimmy, we ought to listen to lyrics. We're missing out on half our life.
Speaker 4: No, but my parents were shocked, you know, because I am standing in their bedroom saying, yeah, I know the line. This is why they pulled the song and his fingers.
Speaker 2: I am currently shocked.
Speaker 4: 24 hours shopping.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Looked at the lyrics. I see the finger lyrics. It's funny about Tipper Gore putting out these music. What I found more disturbing and offensive than the songs that they labeled was her kiss with Al Gore at the Democratic National Convention. Oh, my God. Oh, my God. Did they? They went at it? They did. On stage. It was wild, dude. And I was trying to prove something because he's got that weird little femme lips going. It's like, I'm Al Gore. I'm here to just get your vote. I'm ready to just do stuff for you in America. Also, he was coming off the heels of Clinton and the whole Clinton controversy. So it's like basically saying, hey, I'm in love with my wife. My wife, right.
Speaker 4: Let me gargle her tonsils to show you how I care.
Speaker 2: I by no means have a blue dress. I don't think I've ever seen this Al Gore kiss. Oh, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: I don't think you were alive for it yet. You may have been a toddler.
Speaker 2: It was 2000.
Speaker 1: Or 99.
Speaker 2: Okay, he was 10. This is the feeling it's going to give you. You ever see your parents really make out? We're not talking about the kiss. I'm not talking about the welcome home honey kiss. Good to see you. Then turn around and continue cooking the roast. I'm talking about she turns around and it is like we're in a bar. Four drinks deep. I mean, we're trying to figure out what we had for lunch that day. By pulling it out of your mullet.
Speaker 8: We're not kissing.
Speaker 2: We're mining. I'm trying to have a lot of PDA in front of my son. That's a good thing. I'm trying to kiss my wife in front of my son. Let the boy watch. Let the boy watch. I'm trying to show as much affection towards my wife as I can. That is one of the best things you can do for your kids, by the way.
Speaker 3: My kids, actually, if you were to ask my kids about our relationship, my wife and I's relationship, that's one of the number one things they would leave with, is we were always smacking ass and kissing and all kinds of stuff.
Speaker 2: We showed true physical attention to each other. If my son sees me kiss my wife like Al Gore kissed in this video that I just watched for the first time, he's calling the cops. That doesn't look consensual at all.
Speaker 4: You know what it also looks like, which is a really bad, a damn shame? It doesn't look like they practiced.
Speaker 6: Right, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: And they haven't done anything like that in a long time.
Speaker 2: That's what it was! Isn't that what it looks like? It's almost like she turned to him and said, Al, do the thing.
Speaker 4: I mean, he wanted to slip her some tongue, but she's like, no, no, no, no, no, no, no. This has been a while. Come on.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 2: It's the ease into the slowly. And you know what I'm going to tell you? Tipper Gore's not a bad-looking woman. She wasn't a bad-looking woman. I was like, good for Al. Not a bad pull. Sorry. I'm real hard into the mic there. I love this.
Speaker 4: Somebody texted us and went, damn, three already?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's an odd kiss. Yeah, man. So that was kind of like a light moment, right?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: That was like a baby one of those. That was like, what 90 was that? I mean, Clinton was out of office in 94? No, no, no. Clinton started in office in 94, went to 99, Al Gore renegade. the 2000 election was against george w yeah yeah that's the uh that's the hanging chad yeah the supreme court said you're president yeah yeah exactly right and what is so weird about this and what makes it this much worse looking back on this exact moment it's right when he won the nomination this is seconds into you being the democratic nominee and it is awkward And it's wild. It's weird.
Speaker 3: He's a Republican candidate proving of his male viruleness, and it's still– I mean, no, he's not a Republican.
Speaker 2: No, he's a Democrat.
Speaker 3: And he's trying to prove his virile manhood, and it backfired.
Speaker 2: It did not– I think it actually hurt him. Like, the way he kissed her kind of hurt. Yeah. It looked like it hurt. It did look like it hurt.
Speaker 4: It looked like she'd like a heads up next time.
Speaker 2: 500 Florida votes is all that cat needed. Yeah, yeah, yeah. That's all he needed. That kiss ruined it for him. Well, you know who introduced him? Do you remember who introduced him? Was it James Carville? No, it was his college roommate. Oh, who's famous? Tommy Lee Jones.
Speaker 7: Yes. Yeah.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Wait, men in black?
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 2: What? They were roommates at Harvard. It gets better. You should see them make out. We are rocking Ross's world. The year 2000 was wild. Tommy Lee Jones wrote Shebop. Anyway, 407- No! Y2K, baby.
Speaker 3: Text us at 77031. We have a bunch of stuff to talk about. Ross, you did a Halloween Horror Nights preview. Was it last night?
Speaker 2: I did. In fact, I went through all 10 houses, and I'm here to tell you one quick spoiler for my 6 o'clock review.
Speaker 6: Go.
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah. That's a go. Spoiler, huh?
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And that's my spoiler. Go. It's one of the best years.
Speaker 9: All right.
Speaker 2: We have a bunch of stuff to talk about today.
Speaker 3: One of the things I saw today was Netflix. God, I don't know if I want to say this because I don't want people to kind of get ahead of it. That's what sucks about, like, you know, previewing what we're going to do today is because people can hop online and see what it is.
Speaker 2: Well, then don't tell.
Speaker 7: Exactly.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to say anything.
Speaker 3: Netflix made an announcement today that I think you'll be very interested in because it has a little bit to do with nostalgia.
Speaker 2: We'll leave it there.
Speaker 4: Which is a big deal, this younger generation.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I saw somebody earlier today on one of the local news stations talking about how their college-age daughter and her friends prefer playing with an old-school pinball machine.
Speaker 6: Oh, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, crazy, right?
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then yesterday, you know, Dolly Parton passed away. We didn't break the news here, but it happened right before we came on the air. And, of course, we lost another legend today, Tim Curry, from Rocky Horror Picture Show fame. And let me tell you something. I've got a great Rocky Horror Picture Show story. A little bit later in the program, my sister moved down from Palatka at 17 or 18 years old as well. And let me tell you, you can't put a human in a jar more than my sister. I mean, she could not be more small town. What's that? What's that? The first thing I did for her is take her to Rocky Horror.
Speaker 4: You are a cruel, cruel man.
Speaker 2: She cried.
Speaker 4: Oh, I'm sure she did, dude.
Speaker 2: She was traumatized, dude. She was absolutely, she didn't know what to do.
Speaker 6: Oh, Dr.
Speaker 2: Frankenfurter. She left and prayed. So we are waiting on the third right now.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we are.
Speaker 2: And who mentioned that yesterday? Was it you? No, Talkback. Talkback mentioned it yesterday? So now we have the two. Wellness check on Willie Nelson. Yeah, both 80 years old as well, right? Yeah, that was it. Yeah, there was another. Didn't you mention one as well earlier? We were talking about who would be who was next. Oh, Deb's predicting death.
Speaker 10: No, no.
Speaker 2: But we were talking about it before the show. She needs the milk bath first. Oh, King Charles. King Charles.
Speaker 11: Yes.
Speaker 12: We were discussing the fact that. Harry and Meghan moving back to the UK when being away. I mean, it was such a sudden decision. I was wondering if it has something to do with the King's health. And that's why they decided to go back into that hornet's nest.
Speaker 2: And then of all the things yesterday, this is why I brought the whole Dolly thing up again. Of all the things yesterday, at the end of the show, we do our question of the day. And again, that's why we ask you if you want to Watch us on YouTube, jimcorbertlive.com. You can go in, and we do have the question of the day is in the chat room there, right? So you can kind of get involved, get your vote in there. Yesterday, Jack put up four Dolly Parton movies. We were going to choose the favorite Dolly Parton movie, right?
Speaker 13: Yes.
Speaker 2: Nine to five, right? Steel Magnolias. Correct.
Speaker 12: Right?
Speaker 4: Best Little Whorehouse in Texas and Rhinestone.
Speaker 2: And Rhinestone. Do you know what's wild about that list? Dolly Parton did a show about talk radio and we forgot about it.
Speaker 4: I didn't know about it.
Speaker 2: There's a movie called Straight Talk that she did where she was like delivering something to a radio station and something happened and she had to get on the air and take a call and turned it into a career and we did not mention the Dolly Parton movie that deals with talk radio. It's a little more strange than that because I googled top four Dolly Parton movies and straight talk was there. I'm like, I'd never heard of that. I put, I put rhinestone cause I saw rhinestone. And it's actually a cute little movie and a little bit of an insight into the business. It's kind of cool.
Speaker 3: She kind of stumbles into the studio as a, either a side employee or somebody that's delivering something and, takes a call and uses that southern charm and becomes like a star and has to go through the whole thing of being a talk radio star.
Speaker 2: Throwing this out here, that's the same exact plot of Joe Dirt. Is it really?
Speaker 14: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Look at that.
Speaker 3: It's kind of like a Delilah thing, Jack, right? She kind of becomes that kind of Delilah character. I didn't know this movie existed before yesterday.
Speaker 2: Joe Dirt? Someone said Hayden Panettere for the third. No, that time frame doesn't work. That was too long ago. Too long ago. But someone else said Annette Febre passed away yesterday, too? Shelly Febre, wasn't it? Shelly Febre? Yeah, but I don't think she's at that caliber. She's not. I mean, just off rip, I can tell right now. Yeah, that's a Farrah Fawcett, Michael Jackson thing. Yeah, exactly. And you know who she was married to, right? Shelly Febre? Yeah, yeah, yeah. Who? The guy from MASH, not Alan Alda. BJ Honeycutt? Yeah, the other guy. Who played him? Mike something, right? Yeah, Mike Love... Yeah, it was him. That's fine. Anyway, 407... 407... That's Bobby Brady, I think. Bobby Brady, JJ Honeycutt. What the hell are you guys? Is this an old basketball team?
Speaker 3: He played forward for the Spurs in 71, Deb News.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Americans are among the missing in Nepal after flash flooding. Where Florida stands on the meta social media settlement and on this National Dog Day, we're going to talk about the top dog breeds U.S. families are choosing in 2026. We'll talk about that and more coming up next during JCS News.
Speaker 2: You got it. Let's take a little break. We'll come back and get Deb's news and continue on with the Jim Colbert Show. So hold on loosely, but don't let go.
Speaker 15: If you squeeze too tightly, I'm going to lose control.
Speaker 2: I think we all know what that's about.
Speaker 4: I do now.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 2: Seriously? I had no idea. Are we just getting our faces blown off today with song lyrics?
Speaker 8: Don't say that.
Speaker 2: Is that what's going to happen? I have all the verbiage. Did you choose that?
Speaker 3: I don't want to know anymore. I have an idea what I want these songs to be like. I don't want the real truth. Welcome back to the Jim Colbert Show. We're already at 104.1.
Speaker 2: I'm Jim. Deb, Jack, and Ross are here as well. Speaking of Deb, she's got your news. Let's get it.
Speaker 1: It's time for JCS News.
Speaker 10: Wow.
Speaker 1: Has this guy got to put his name on everything?
Speaker 2: It's in my contract, dude.
Speaker 1: Here's the news on the Jim Colbert Show.
Speaker 4: And JCS News is brought to you by that mortgage guy, Don. At least 47 Americans are missing after flash flooding tore through valleys in Nepal and the country's northern areas. That's according to Nepal officials. Almost 100 deaths have been reported and more than 380 people are missing. Those are really, really low numbers. The floods decimated villages as they ripped through houses, roads, bridges, power plants. There's no word yet on the nationalities of the casualties.
Speaker 3: I will tell you guys, and I actually wrote this down to talk about today, the video from this flash flooding, the video from this, there's two major videos. One of the flash flood coming down this valley and the other one is the perspective of looking down on what looks to be a bus station and some other things like that from a mountaintop. It's top five natural disaster videos I've ever seen.
Speaker 2: In my life. It is horrifying. It really is. I mean, the videos are horrifying. You don't ever see you. It looks fake. It looks like something that that you were like, OK, I make the worst possible flash flood scenario for me right now and show it to me. And that's the video you get. It's that bad.
Speaker 4: It is that bad. Jack has it on our fourth screen if you're watching us on YouTube. But at one point during the videos, you literally watch this wall of water overtake a building, overtake a train station, and just push buses along the road like they're toys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 11: All right.
Speaker 4: Back stateside, actor Tim Curry has died at the age of 80. Curry is best known for his role as Dr. Frankenfurter in the Rocky Horror Picture Show.
Speaker 2: I see you shiver with anticipation. Wait for it.
Speaker 4: TMZ reports Curry had been dealing with health issues for years and passed away Tuesday night. He's also known for his role as Pennywise in 1990's It. I forgot about that. And as well, the hotel clerk, Mr.
Speaker 7: Hector.
Speaker 4: And Home Alone 2 lost in New York.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's wild because when the cons were happening here earlier this summer, there's a lot of stuff on Reddit about who people met, who they thought were the greatest and the biggest D-bags. And everybody who met Tim Curry said, even in his state, he was in a wheelchair. You could barely move or talk. They said he was the most gracious guy ever. And so pleasant to have met. So that was great to read in here.
Speaker 4: He's one of those I'm going to miss as well.
Speaker 2: With Tim Curry, with all those roles that you just mentioned, it's how I met him. And it tells so much about my childhood of being obsessed with Comedy Central in the mid 90s and late 90s. It was Clue and him playing Wadsworth.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I think that is, I know I'm biased because that's like one of my first movies I understood from beginning, middle, and end.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: But that is comedic performance gold.
Speaker 4: Oh, no, it's not. No, it's not.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 4: Because Governor Ron DeSantis says, hold my beer. He paid tribute to country music icon Dolly Parton at the start of this morning's news conference at Florida International University.
Speaker 2: You're welcome. Tumbled out of bed, stumbled into the kitchen.
Speaker 16: Down that cup of ambition, and here we are, and we'll be working longer than nine to five.
Speaker 4: I think it was that ah in the background that made him go, I'm going to stop this right now.
Speaker 2: Right now. Yeah, yeah. He gave it a shot, though. He did.
Speaker 9: He did.
Speaker 1: He did.
Speaker 4: Kudos to him for that.
Speaker 2: But that person, can we play that again real fast? Just make sure you hear the person in the background go, oh, no. Here we go.
Speaker 16: Tumbled out of bed, stumbled into the kitchen. Down that cup of ambition, and here we are, and we'll be working longer than 9 to 5.
Speaker 10: Oh, he's cute.
Speaker 2: He tries. That's absolutely right. You're right, Deb. As soon as he hears that noise, he goes, I'm not going to perform anymore.
Speaker 4: Calling her an American icon and original, DeSantis also credits Parton for her quiet generosity. Dolly Parton died after a brief battle with cancer at the age of 80, although her family hasn't disclosed. what kind of cancer she was fighting from. Not only that, flags are lowered to half staff across Florida in honor of Dolly Parton. Governor DeSantis says the flags will remain lowered through sunset on September 1st. DeSantis says the U.S. and state flags will be flown at half staff at all local and state buildings, and that's following a presidential order. All right, it's now up to the governor to pick primary and general election dates to fill the seat left vacant by Hialeah State Senator Brian Avila, resigning to run alongside Republican candidate for governor Byron Donalds.
Speaker 2: Well, it would make sense to put it on the November election and it would be efficient.
Speaker 7: To do so.
Speaker 2: State law doesn't allow it. We need more time.
Speaker 4: So Berry University's Dr. Sean Foreman predicts the election will be held in early 2027 with the legislative session beginning in March. Florida is refusing to join the multi-state settlement with Meta over claims that the company's social media platforms contributed to youth addiction. Attorney General James Uthmeyer says the state rejected what he called a weak settlement and plans to pursue its case in court. The agreement would require Meta to adopt new protections for teen users and pay nearly $ 17 billion to states. While denying wrongdoing, Uthmeyer argues the settlement doesn't go far enough to address what Florida alleges were harmful, profit-driven features aimed at young users. In other technology news, Manatee County commissioners are voting against installing flock license plate reader cameras at county parks, buildings, and other public facilities. County Commissioner Bob McCann says he believes the number of cameras being installed is too much.
Speaker 2: Somebody's got to get a handle on it.
Speaker 13: Because it's like he said, you know, you don't want to go to Premier Park and, you know, have your face on a camera just because you went to a park.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I got bad news for you, buddy. We're there. Residents also voiced their concern.
Speaker 2: There's just.
Speaker 6: Too much that is heading us, I believe, personally in the direction of becoming a surveillance state.
Speaker 4: Like you said, Jimmy, we're already there. Supporters of the technology, including the Sheriff's Office, say license plate readers have helped solve crimes, recover stolen vehicles, and locate missing people. The vote does not affect cameras already used by the Manatee County Sheriff's Office, but commissioners say They want higher limits on technology at county-controlled sites.
Speaker 3: And it's funny because what happens is governments will show you once they busted somebody doing something crazy. I saw a story yesterday where a guy killed this girl, set the house on fire, and then left and got on a bus and went across town and did some other stuff.
Speaker 2: And let me tell you something. There weren't two steps. This guy didn't take. They didn't have on video.
Speaker 3: This guy, from the minute he showed up on property, the minute he did the crime, the entire bus ride, when he got off the bus, where he went after the bus. Now, look, that's great, of course. But it just shows you when they're trying to prove to you, hey.
Speaker 2: We're keeping you safe. They're also showing you, hey, we know everything you're doing. Well, yeah. Every step you take. That's all.
Speaker 4: But that's been the question, right? It's not a matter of public safety. It's who the hell is flock.
Speaker 2: Right. Exactly.
Speaker 4: I mean, first time we heard the cameras were already up. Contracts had already been approved.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 4: It's our data they're selling, and it's like we've always been told. If you're not buying something, you are the product.
Speaker 2: And some people are already misusing them. Exactly.
Speaker 7: Exactly.
Speaker 4: Especially those we're told, hey, just trust them. They know what they're doing.
Speaker 2: It's every step you take and not in a romantic way.
Speaker 4: It never was romantic. That's a stalker song.
Speaker 7: It is.
Speaker 4: Parents in Orlando can get a little peace of mind thanks to a new Uber feature that's available locally. The Rideshare company is offering live video streaming for Uber teen accounts. So it allows a linked parent or guardian to peek in on a teenager's ride in real time through the front-facing camera on the driver's phone.
Speaker 7: Oh, wow.
Speaker 4: The live stream is also encrypted.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: The new feature will be available in nine markets, including here in Orlando. Uber says it hopes to expand the feature nationwide over the coming weeks.
Speaker 17: Wow, really?
Speaker 4: Oh, yeah.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 4: After admitting he doesn't know the specifics... Of the case where Florida International University punished seven icebreakers for their silent protest, Governor Ron DeSantis says he supports the First Amendment.
Speaker 16: Certainly students at this university have a right to protest in favor of immigration enforcement or against immigration enforcement.
Speaker 2: That's part of what it means to... to have a First Amendment.
Speaker 4: So if you remember, the Icebreakers members stood up briefly and walked out of a school event in protest of the university cooperating with Immigration and Customs Enforcement In issuing a preliminary injunction, a Miami federal judge has ruled FIU likely violated the students' constitutional rights. Remember, they were required to write a formal apology and also had the threat of their diplomas being withheld. And they never interrupted the proceedings. It was a silent protest. They let their T-shirts do the talking. FIU is considering its next legal move. Cannot believe I even said that. But it is complying with the judge's order. All right, a dozen lawmakers want to know why the state can't say how much money there is in an emergency fund. Twelve Democrats from the House and Senate sent a letter yesterday to Emergency Management Director Jared Perdue. The lawmakers say that his department is 40 days late with a report that's supposed to reveal how much money is in the Emergency Preparedness and Response Fund. Now, in the letter, the lawmakers say they want the report and an explanation for why it's late. Orlando Democratic State Representative Anna Eskamani says, Listen, we are in the peak weeks of hurricane season, and neither chamber can say with confidence what's left in the fund. that Florida will depend on if and when a storm hits.
Speaker 2: Jack's right. Didn't we tap that fund earlier this year for other things? Wasn't that a big thing that they were kind of dipping into that fund for other services and resources?
Speaker 4: You mean like the $ 1. 2 billion for a facility that was only open for 350 days? I believe it is.
Speaker 2: That one? All right.
Speaker 4: One more story out of FIU. And speaking of emergency management, this is actually kind of cool. I guess it depends on What kind of career you see yourself going into. But the first official rollout of Florida's Coalition for Operational Readiness and Education, or CORE. Man, they love their acronyms. Is that F-I-U?
Speaker 7: We do.
Speaker 4: DeSantis says the new statewide program will connect students with careers in emergency management and disaster response.
Speaker 2: Goal.
Speaker 16: Is to create a strong workforce pipeline to be able to serve in emergency management.
Speaker 4: And what's cool is that when addressing the students earlier, he had said, listen, going back to Dolly Parton, I can tell you it is not 9 to 5 when you're in this situation.
Speaker 2: Man, he can't get it off his brain. He's got a soft spot for it.
Speaker 4: She was voted America's most popular person a couple of years ago.
Speaker 2: He should have, like, he could have worked some other movies in there, though, you know? Hey, look, this isn't covered in rhinestones. Hey, we're giving you straight talk here. We're giving you straight talk here.
Speaker 4: All right, exactly.
Speaker 2: This is on a 9 to 5 gig.
Speaker 4: Core brings together the Florida Division of Emergency Management, Higher Education Institutions, and Private Sector Partners to ensure Florida... maintains a trained workforce.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 4: Since we are in the dog days of summer, it's only fitting that today is National Dog Day.
Speaker 2: I am damp.
Speaker 4: It was created back in 2004 to raise awareness about the massive number of dogs in shelters that need adoption. And it's where we first heard the phrase, adopt, don't shop, urging people to think twice before buying puppies at pet stores. National Dog Day also recognizes the contributions service dogs make to help keep people safe. We're one month out today from our fourth annual Suds, Pups, and Pints.
Speaker 2: Yay!
Speaker 4: At beautiful Sunset Park in Mount Dora. Our upcoming guest, Daryl Payne, and his beautiful wife, Penny, have some really fun games coming up for the event this year. Before we close it out, now dogs may not be aware of what a popularity contest is, but these 10 breeds are winning one anyway. The Pet Sitter and Service Provider Rover. Have you ever used Rover?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we have used Rover, actually. Oh, I've used– I used Rover all the.
Speaker 4: Time when I had Lex.
Speaker 2: What is Rover again? It's a Pet Sitter.
Speaker 17: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 4: And Service Provider.
Speaker 2: And they're vetted. Yeah. And we used them– we actually had Maisie and Dexter at one Pet Sitter.
Speaker 3: One dog, 135 pounds. The other dog, like 35. you know, 11 pounds and they loved it.
Speaker 2: I mean, it was great. Great experience. He had a kennel built for it. It was like his business. And he, he was great, man. A lot.
Speaker 4: I loved it too with my dog. Cause if you were going out of town and you didn't want to pay like a, you know, a borders price, you could find someone that could actually stay in their home. They'll, Come and walk your dog. It's a great service. So it's like an Airbnb for your dog?
Speaker 2: Yeah. An Airbnb for your DOG? Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: So the pet sitter and service provider Rover assessed its database of millions of users submitted dogs to determine which 10 breeds are among the most popular with U.S. families in 2026. Now, I'll kick it off easy by mentioning non-designer mixed breeds. Once again, come in at number one in the rankings. Think your mutt mix is right?
Speaker 2: I mean, it's got to be French. It's a Frenchie, right?
Speaker 4: Okay, so you think Frenchie is number two?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think Frenchie's up there in the top five for sure. All right. It's top five, but I think it got dethroned. Chihuahua.
Speaker 4: Okay, Ross, what would be your choice?
Speaker 2: We're not going to look into Jack's answer. I'm going to go with Golden Retriever.
Speaker 9: Yep.
Speaker 8: All right.
Speaker 2: How about Corgis?
Speaker 4: You're cute uh yeah no uh number one are the mixed breed dogs number two are labrador retrievers number three my favorite golden retrievers uh number four are golden doodles number five are german shepherds yeah yeah all right that rounds up the top five jack is right the small but feisty chihuahua chihuahua chihuahua enters the list at number six followed by your favorite jimmy The Mastiff? You love these little dogs. Oh, you talked about putting her in the dishwasher and all kinds of other lovely things.
Speaker 2: Miniature dachshunds?
Speaker 4: There you go, just dachshunds. And there comes your French Bulldog.
Speaker 2: All right, very good. Coming up after the... A great fall for the Frenchie.
Speaker 7: I know.
Speaker 4: After French Bulldogs are the Shizus, be very careful pronouncing that. And then Yorkshire Terriers to complete the top ten rankings.
Speaker 2: Wow, Yorkies and Shizus.
Speaker 7: I guess.
Speaker 4: No Bichon Frise. No Mastiffs. No Bullies. No Bully Breeds.
Speaker 2: Did Shizu pull like a rebrand? Are we talking about the same dog? Shih Tzu? Yeah, yeah. I know, I know. It's a show by Eugene Levy. Yeah, yeah. But I was just thinking, did they pull a Uranus? You know, where they're like, we're tired of it. We're tired of Snickers. Yeah, our name is Uranus now. They pulled a Filatoski. Oh, too soon. Come on. I don't even know if you can say that. All right, sure. I love when I find out where the line is. It's usually behind us. Yeah.
Speaker 4: And that concludes your JCS News.
Speaker 2: All right, 407-916-1047. I don't know what that was. Let's never tell anybody what that is. I don't know what it is. In perpetuity, just let people guess what that is. Somebody said one day, they're like, hey, what's the D to Lee thing? And I didn't even know how to respond. Like, I literally didn't even know how to respond. I'm like, a guitar solo, maybe? But it doesn't sound like it. We don't know.
Speaker 18: We don't know.
Speaker 4: We've been trying to make it sound like a guitar solo.
Speaker 2: We're 2007 this morning. It started as the guitar solo, and then I would come in and try to do the whammy bar, and then it just turned into me shouting things off the top of my head like I have Tourette's syndrome.
Speaker 4: And the last thing we sound like are guitars people refer to as the diddly-dee.
Speaker 2: And then I'd pop back up, and you're like, uh, do the bass. I was like, all right, what?
Speaker 4: And yet we make it work.
Speaker 2: You better be glad I didn't give you Timbales. I'm happy. I'm happy. Daryl Payne next.
Speaker 17: Come on, those of us who watch WKRP in Cincinnati know that Les Nesman had the correct pronunciation.
Speaker 7: Chihuahua.
Speaker 2: Chihuahua. You know what a Chihuahua is, Daryl Payne?
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, that's a gringo translation.
Speaker 2: It's your favorite dog.
Speaker 10: Oh, no.
Speaker 7: Don't tell me it's a French boy.
Speaker 2: Les Nesman. A chihuahua. A chihuahua.
Speaker 7: A chihuahua. A chihuahua.
Speaker 2: A chihuahua. A chihuahua. A chihuahua. A chihuahua. A chihuahua. A chihuahua. A chihuahua.
Speaker 3: All right, 407-916-1041, Texas 77031. Welcome back.
Speaker 2: I'm Jim. There's Deb. Hello.
Speaker 1: Jack.
Speaker 2: Yep. And Ross is here as well. I don't know who Les Nesman is. Yeah, yeah. That's fine. But I'm going to find out.
Speaker 7: Yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: It's the third time we brought him up today. Yeah, you've already heard his voice. Daryl Payne joins us from Pawfection Dog Training. We'll do Animal House in the top of the hour.
Speaker 3: And if you have a dog that has a behavioral issue, maybe they've just started kind of jumping or barking or... scratching or digging holes or going to the bathroom in the house or anything like that. If you have an issue like that, hop on the line at the top of the hour, and Daryl will take those calls for free and try to give you some guidance on how you can make that animal's behavior a little better.
Speaker 2: How are you doing, by the way, Bill?
Speaker 6: Yeah, good.
Speaker 7: Happy National Dogs Day.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And we're one month away from Suds, Pups, and Pints. I know we're going to talk later on about the new games you guys have planned.
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah. Very nice.
Speaker 7: We're still devising them.
Speaker 2: So I tasked Daryl.
Speaker 3: I said, hey, look, when you come in for the short segment, as we introduce people to the segment and set everybody up for the 4 o'clock part of this, give us a little something we don't know about dogs. I mean, Daryl's worked with dogs at Scotland Yard 30 years now, 35 years?
Speaker 7: Well, I've been training dogs 40 years, but I was a canine and a canine supervisor for 25 years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, wow. So you have learned a lot about dogs and what makes them tick. So let's run some stuff here, some random dog body facts.
Speaker 7: Well, we talk a lot about noses always, don't we? Yeah, yeah. The nose is the most primary sense. So I thought we'd have a look at the other side of things. So something I remember from my study, and actually when I was studying to be a canine, dogs have three eyelids.
Speaker 10: Whoa.
Speaker 7: There's one called a nictitating membrane. And so everyone is now looking at their dog's eyes, aren't they? Yeah, yeah, yeah. Grabbing their faces.
Speaker 2: Come here, you alien. Wait, is it that white thing that, like, sometimes covers up a little bit?
Speaker 7: Yeah, it comes across. And what it does is it keeps the eye lubricated, but without them blinking. So, yeah, the nictitating membrane. So, you know, everyone look at that. It's like a little shutter that comes across.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's cool.
Speaker 7: Something I noticed, again, when I was handling dogs, the dogs have 18 muscles. controlling each ear.
Speaker 14: 18.
Speaker 2: Which is amazing.
Speaker 4: I had no idea that many muscles.
Speaker 6: That's the thing.
Speaker 7: If you ever watch your dog, the ears will actually move independently of each other.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I noticed that with my little one. When she hears something in the house, she'll just take that right ear and throw it up real quick. The other one's just not even doing anything. He's still having a cocktail.
Speaker 7: If you've got a dog with pointy ears, a shepherd, Malinois, something like that, You're going to see it more so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're like little satellite dishes.
Speaker 7: They are. When I was working my police dog, if I called a challenge into a field or something and it all went quiet, his ears would move independently as he's scanning for noise. And then when he heard a noise, both ears would go in the same direction. So they independently scan.
Speaker 3: And they'll do that when you can't hear it because their sense of hearing is also incredible. I mean, I make little sounds and drive my dog crazy, and it's like– Like that.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's not even that loud, and she picks up on it immediately. I might as well have screamed. What a good roommate. Okay. You have a treat.
Speaker 7: Bag from 300 feet away. Yeah, right. Dogs walk on their toes. Did you know that?
Speaker 2: Oh, wow.
Speaker 7: No. They're detention-grade animals. So what you think is their elbow at the back there is not. It's just called the hock. But actually what they do is, and if you look online, I think Jack's put it up on the site. If you look, they actually are walking along on their pads, which is effectively their toes.
Speaker 2: I'll be damned.
Speaker 7: So they tiptoe along.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: Through the tulips.
Speaker 2: So that first little bend there actually would be the heel of what we would consider. Yeah, exactly. I'll be damned.
Speaker 7: They have really long feet, so that's why they don't wear shoes. It's too expensive.
Speaker 19: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Their whiskers are sensory things. So a bit like cats. Cats, they use them to judge distances and stuff like that. With dogs, they have sensors on their whiskers, which tells them of anything that's getting close to their face.
Speaker 2: They can also, yeah, they feel the air move. Because I can do it with my little one. She's asleep. If I just move my hand near her and she's dead asleep, she can feel the air hit and she'll wake up because she knows something's moving.
Speaker 7: And these are all things. These are things of survival, you see.
Speaker 2: Right, right, right.
Speaker 7: So it keeps them alive in the wild before they had nice homes to live in. They would have these things which helps them keep them alive.
Speaker 2: And then the last one.
Speaker 4: He saved the best for last.
Speaker 7: My personal favorite.
Speaker 2: You've got to be careful how we do this.
Speaker 7: Dogs have a bone in their penis.
Speaker 2: Okay. Easy.
Speaker 7: An actual bone.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 7: And not only that, actually not the bone, but the penis actually inflates in a part of it.
Speaker 2: With air? No, not with air.
Speaker 7: No, it just engorges with blood inside.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 7: And what that does, it has the effect of locking the dog into the female. Now, the reason I tell you this is because what will happen is your dog will mount, say, a female. You'll panic, go rushing over there to drag them apart. And it is a really dangerous thing to do.
Speaker 20: Really?
Speaker 7: Because they're locked in like that, you can't just drag them apart because it will damage either or both of them really badly.
Speaker 8: Really?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you just have to grab a cigarette and a phone. I thought you scored them with a garden hose.
Speaker 4: That's what I've always heard.
Speaker 7: Yeah, they've got to release on their own. So you've got to sort of... gently take them apart or distract them so that they stop. But you can't just pull them apart because if you do that, you can damage both of them.
Speaker 2: Just start yelling Little League Baseball, Little League Baseball.
Speaker 4: Naked Grandma, Naked Grandma.
Speaker 2: Also, why would you want to get in the name of love?
Speaker 3: I mean, if you don't want your dog to get pregnant, if you're not ready for your animal to have a litter, I mean, if you own the female part of that equation.
Speaker 2: All right, Jafar.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And you don't want that to happen. You're trying to stop that immediately.
Speaker 4: Let me tell you what. If you've never witnessed a female dog in heat and how far other males will go. It is incredible to see the amount of male dogs standing outside the gate of your house just trying to get to the female inside.
Speaker 7: And that's why it's important to fix males.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because they'll travel.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I mean, the sniff of a female on heat from a mile away.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 7: And it will drive your male unneutered dog crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 7: You know, it really does. They get very, very frustrated. You know, you're not doing them any favors by keeping them intact.
Speaker 4: Especially if you're in the city.
Speaker 17: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Well, you know, and anywhere plus so. I remember when we had my German Shepherd, he was 10 when we got our boxer, female boxer, and she had one season before we spayed her and he sort of crept up on us. And she was backing into him all the time. And he was looking all confused, like, what the hell am I supposed to do with this?
Speaker 2: She was like, hello.
Speaker 4: How you doing, big buddy?
Speaker 2: I've been to that club. I've been to that club.
Speaker 7: So, yeah, so some facts just away from the nose. But, yeah, have a look at these things. You know, you'll never look at the dog the same now. You'll be looking at their eyes, seeing them tippy-toe across the ground.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's wild because you're right. When Sadie, my little dog, was in heat, my in-laws would come over and they'd bring their dog. They have a Yorkie, right? So they're about the same size, so they could make that happen for sure. They are completely compatible that way. And you're a thousand percent right. When she's not in heat. It's like she's covered in doo-doo. When she is in heat, it's like she's made of steak. And you're right. He can't do anything about it. There's no telling him no.
Speaker 7: Someone told me the other day they had a cross between a German shepherd and a Basset hound.
Speaker 2: Oh, Lord.
Speaker 7: And the father was the Basset. Now, how does that work? I can only assume he had a stepladder.
Speaker 4: That's having a goal. My stepdad... My stepdad, actually, they had come home one day and found out one of the doors from the outside had the glass was broken, covered in blood. Turned out their male had smelled another female like another farm or two over. And even through the glass broke through the door to try and get to her.
Speaker 2: Wow. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So, I mean, they literally get desperate when they're not fixed. Plus, they're so much more aggressive and they're more prone to cancer.
Speaker 2: That makes me think of prom.
Speaker 4: He got sprayed with a water bottle too.
Speaker 7: More importantly, let me just ask, how is the French bulldog the number one dog again. Four years running now, the number one dog, the French Bulldog.
Speaker 2: Was it?
Speaker 4: Now, according to our list on Rover, it was the mixed breed dog. Frenchies were not even in the top five.
Speaker 2: Oh, no.
Speaker 7: According to my one, it was the Frenchie again.
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And they're expensive. They're expensive to own, right?
Speaker 9: Very.
Speaker 7: Yeah, because they have all these weird health issues. Well, not as bad as English Bulldogs. English Bulldogs are the veterinary liabilities.
Speaker 6: Are they?
Speaker 7: Yeah, they are horrendous.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 7: You've got to get a plan with those, but... Frenchies are just horrible. Stop getting Frenchies. They make the best online content, though. Frenchies and Huskies, by far, make the best online sassy dog. There's three things wrong with them. They're stubborn. They're French.
Speaker 4: They can't swim.
Speaker 2: And they're French.
Speaker 4: Says the Englishman.
Speaker 7: Well, the car swimming thing has got to be a bonus, I think. All right.
Speaker 2: 407-916-1041. Text us 77031.
Speaker 3: If you have a question for Daryl Payne from Pawfection Dog Training, if your dog has some behaviors you can't understand, well, we have a guy that maybe has some answers.
Speaker 19: 407-916-1041.
Speaker 2: Load up the phones. We'll take those calls next.
Speaker 17: Hey, guys.
Speaker 21: Happy day. Daryl, I have a question about my dogs, all of them, and every dog in existence. When you go to scratch them on the belly and they go to kicking their leg, are they enjoying that, or are they telling you to get the hell away from them? I've always wondered, and I kind of actually stopped scratching his belly if I hit that tickle spot. Do you know if they're enjoying that, or is it miserable for them?
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 7: No, they're enjoying it.
Speaker 4: That's a good question, though.
Speaker 2: Question for Daryl Payne.
Speaker 1: Uh-oh.
Speaker 15: When I let my Miniature snails are off her leash to go run back to the house.
Speaker 20: Why does she run sideways?
Speaker 7: I just had a stroke.
Speaker 2: All right, welcome back to the Jim Colbert Show. Still ready at 104.1. I am Jim, Deb, Jack, and Ross, and Daryl Payne is here as well. Let's do Animal House. She likes them fuzzy, furry, feathery, tough, and scaly.
Speaker 1: It's time for Animal House with Debra Roberts.
Speaker 4: And Animal House is generously brought to us each and every week by personal injury attorney Glenn Klausman over at Klausman Law. We'll tell you how you can get in touch with Glenn at the end of the segment, but now please join me in officially welcoming Daryl Payne of Pawfection Dog Training.
Speaker 6: Hey!
Speaker 2: He's a dog shaman.
Speaker 7: The only people that are pleased to see me, you know that.
Speaker 2: Always good seeing you, buddy.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's good being here.
Speaker 3: PawfectionDogTraining.com. You can also go to their website on Facebook. We'll give you more information later down the road as well. So we have a lot of questions. I know we have someone waiting on the line.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: We have a caller and then we have some other texting as well.
Speaker 7: Okay, good.
Speaker 4: Do we want to take the caller first?
Speaker 2: Let's get right to it. What do you say? Here is Lauren. Lauren, you're on with Daryl Payne from Pawfection Dog Training. What's your question?
Speaker 19: I have a two-year-old female dog, and we just adopted a puppy who's male. And she grooms him, but she does the oddest thing where she will literally almost put her whole entire face into his mouth and, like, clean the inside of his mouth and almost, like, his throat.
Speaker 2: And he loves her. Keep talking.
Speaker 19: Is this normal?
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah i think you said is it normal yes it is yeah i mean she's she's being a mum to it um you know make the most of it enjoy that because as he gets a bit older she's going to still be a mum to him but she'll be nailing to the ground.
Speaker 22: And right yeah and beating him up and not for not behaving himself yeah but yeah she's just grooming him so she's she's the old mother instincts kicked in there and they do that she will pin him down and she'll lick his ears and clean his mouth for him and It's her natural motherly instinct, which is nice because it shows that she really likes it.
Speaker 2: It's fine, Lauren. Why are you being such a weirdo?
Speaker 19: No, because it looks so weird. It's like his mouth, he's literally almost eating her up to her ears. We've never seen that.
Speaker 1: It looks weird.
Speaker 2: I've got to tell you, I would feel the same exact way, Lauren. Thanks for your call. I appreciate it very much.
Speaker 7: It's normal, but tell your husband not for humans. It's not normal for them. You don't tell me what to do in my bedroom, buddy. Or in a restaurant.
Speaker 2: Either way. All right, 77031, if you want to text us, of course, you can always call 407-916-1041.
Speaker 4: So someone texted us to say they have an almost six-month-old male mini long-haired dachshund. He loves people and animals so much that when we walk for exercise or to do his business, everything distracts him. He'll wait to meet them, and then walking with another dog, he just wants to play, and they're noticing other owners getting annoyed. because he distracts their dogs from doing their business. How do they convince him there's a time to walk and a time to play?
Speaker 2: What a crazy question.
Speaker 21: I know.
Speaker 4: Well, they say he's super sweet and seemingly smart, 90% potty trained, so they're asking if they're the dum-dum.
Speaker 2: And how old is he? Six months?
Speaker 4: Yeah, six months old.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he's still a baby. I mean, to be honest with you, walking great distances and that kind of thing and the obedience side of things really isn't important at the moment. This is the time, the first 12 months of a dog's life, and especially, you know, this is his stage. He wants to meet people. Let him meet people. Let him be made a fuss of. Let him meet the dogs you can trust, so the neighbor's dogs you know.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 7: Otherwise, he might meet the wrong dog. In all honesty, as he transitions from this, so when you want him to know the difference between the time to meet and the time not to, bring him along to our group training. That's the best thing because they get a chance to play with each other, interact, socialize. But then there's some obedience as well. So they switch on and off, and they learn, okay, this is the time to behave and to focus. This is the time to play. But at the moment, six months, while he's friendly and stuff like that, let him meet the things you trust.
Speaker 2: There you go. All right, 407-916-1041. Got a couple more callers here. Hey, Mike, how you doing? You're on with Daryl Payne from Fawfection Dog Training. Good.
Speaker 10: Hey, how you doing, Daryl?
Speaker 6: Hey, Mike.
Speaker 10: I have a new puppy. Well, it's not new, but we've had it eight months. He'll be two in October. And every time we take him out and he sees a car coming on the road, he goes and tries to chase it, either whether it's a scooter, a motorcycle, a van. He gets distracted when he's going to the bathroom and he wants to attack him. the, uh, automobile or whatever's coming by, you know, he jerks us, you know, cause he is so, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Why does his dog chase cars?
Speaker 7: Yeah. It's prey drive.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: It's the prey drive. We often see it with anything with wheels, skateboards, bikes, anything like that. Um, some dogs are worse with larger trucks, that kind of thing, or UPS, um, or.
Speaker 2: Uh, with UPS.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 7: So those, those things make it make a bigger noise. Yeah. Um, yeah, it's the prey drive that's kicking in. If it's a dog with a naturally high prey drive. So something that's got a terrier in it, um, they tend, they tend to be worse. Um, if you give us a call, we can fix that for you. There's a couple of things we need to do. One is we need to work on the leash work for you so that, um, you don't get pulled over because with a dog that lunges suddenly, um, because their center of gravity is lower, when they suddenly take off, they can pull you straight over.
Speaker 4: Had that happened.
Speaker 7: So when you get to my age, you can break a hip on that one.
Speaker 2: So give us a call.
Speaker 7: We can switch that off for you, and then you can enjoy the walk, because also the dog can enjoy the walk, because at the moment it's hypervigilant, looking for the next thing to chase. Thanks, Mike.
Speaker 2: I appreciate your call, buddy. There you go, man. Just give them a call, and they can help you out for sure, bud. I wonder if it was just, you would think it was also would be FedEx as well, right?
Speaker 7: It's normally FedEx, Amazon, UPS. Other carriers are available.
Speaker 3: All right, 407-916-1041. Another call here. Let's go to Kyle. Kyle, how are you doing? You're on with Daryl Payne from Pulp Fiction Dog Training.
Speaker 14: Hey, good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen.
Speaker 2: I love your show. Thank you, brother. Appreciate it.
Speaker 14: Daryl, I have a two-year-old chocolate lab. We rescued him from Labrador Retriever of Central Florida. And he is very shy and skittish of just about everybody except for me and my wife. And every now and then he will want to eat my other dog's feces.
Speaker 7: Okay.
Speaker 14: Is there anything I can do to stop that?
Speaker 21: Okay.
Speaker 7: Well, you've got two different things going on.
Speaker 2: For a start.
Speaker 4: That's putting it lightly.
Speaker 2: Yeah i gotta say that that that was unexpected dog i gotta tell you that is.
Speaker 7: Not exactly the last one in there by the end i didn't know that was going to end you know we just had.
Speaker 2: My answer for the first one exactly it was a two-parter we go into your call after talking to literally a pair of overalls.
Speaker 7: Yeah it's you know it's hyperactive and it steals the car um well first of all with the it's obviously hasn't had much socialization um and that's not unusual for when you get a rescue dog um so you know the best thing you can do is to start socializing it taking it out slowly to you know ever increasingly challenging areas but don't you know don't take it straight down to lake yoda or out into downtown and stuff but um socialization is is a is a good start um If you want to bring him along to our group training, come along and see us, just to visit us. So I can have a look at the dog and advise you there with what I'm seeing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 7: But I think we need to start that socialization process, and I can give you a roadmap to that. In regards to the feces, that can be linked to its … Diet? Well, it can be diet. It can also be submission. If it is a very submissive dog, it can be cleaning up after the other dog, If it's diet and it depends on what you're feeding them, if there is a deficiency in the diet somewhere, it might be getting it from the other dog's poop because what one dog will excrete will contain still nutrients and stuff that that particular dog didn't need. And the other dog will pick up on that because they can basically with their noses, they can filter out everything that's in there or not in there. And he might be seeing that as a food source to supplement his diet. So It can be a submissive behavior. It can be nutritional. But if you come down and see us, I'll have a look at him. I can give you some advice going forward about socialization.
Speaker 2: Sure, yeah.
Speaker 7: And we can have a chat about that eating as well.
Speaker 2: And Kyle, just hang loose, buddy, at the end of the segment. Don't say hang loose.
Speaker 3: At the end of the segment, we'll explain how you can do that, where Daryl's going to be this weekend, where you can come up and do that very thing.
Speaker 2: All right, we have one more here. Let's go to Carolyn. Carolyn, how are you doing? You're on with Daryl Payne from Pawfection Dog Training.
Speaker 6: Oh, I just called.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you're on the air, Carolyn.
Speaker 16: Oh, I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: That's okay.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I have a female pit bull.
Speaker 9: And she just, when she walks, all she does is.
Speaker 14: Her face is on the ground constantly.
Speaker 12: Like, she will not walk with her head up.
Speaker 2: Carolyn, just real quick, are you running a steam tractor right now?
Speaker 15: Oh, I'm driving a 95, but I'm not holding my phone.
Speaker 2: That's all right, you're fine.
Speaker 7: I wouldn't worry too much about it, Caroline, to be honest with you, because when her nose is on the ground, she's sniffing. And when we take a dog for a walk, we want the dog to sniff and wear itself out. Walking along with its head up right next to you the whole time really sucks as a walk for dogs. A lot of trainers are hell-bent on the dog walking next to you the whole time.
Speaker 2: Just so it looks submissive and looks like it's doing exactly what you want.
Speaker 7: And you want the dog to enjoy the walk. Now, if its nose is on the ground and it's eating fried worms or poop and stuff like that, then that would be a different matter.
Speaker 9: No, she doesn't do that.
Speaker 6: She just walks with her nose to the ground. Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: That's really not that big of a deal. That's pretty common.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Thanks, darling. I appreciate that.
Speaker 7: Let her sniff. And if she's not pulling you, you know, give her some extra leash. And if she stops to sniff, you keep walking. She can catch up with you. But, you know, this is her time. When we take a dog for a walk, you know, unless we're actually doing obedience or we're somewhere where there's a lot of cars, a lot of people, and you need them next to you. Then give them some freedom.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but a walk isn't necessarily always a walk.
Speaker 7: This is their face time.
Speaker 3: When we lived in the Airbnb over there in Sanford, when we were waiting to move in here, we would take Sadie on a walk. And the walk could be just like one block because, I mean, there's so many other dogs that did that very thing. I mean, she was just having a blast, you know, snorting and sniffing every single item that she could find that other dogs had come close to.
Speaker 7: And that was like, you could see how happy she was doing it. Yeah, this is their Facebook time. They see who's been there, what's been there. They can tell, you know, they can tell the sex of a dog.
Speaker 4: You've got mail.
Speaker 7: Yeah, how dominant a dog is. So let them sniff. Too many trainers are just hell-bent on dogs walking right next to you all the time like they're doing obedience all the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, an obedience thing.
Speaker 7: You don't need to do that.
Speaker 2: All right, and you mentioned that people could come see you at your group training. Where would that be?
Speaker 7: Yeah, we are in Oviedo, Shane Kelly. We're behind the Shane Kelly Park. It's a custom-built training area that we're in partnership with the city of Oviedo. And we're there Saturday morning. We're there from 7.30 in the morning through to 11.30, 12 o'clock in the afternoon. You know, we do obedience mixed with agility. So they have fun while they're learning. They learn to switch on and off with puppies. So anything under seven months, they have a free play together and socialization time as well as obstacles, that kind of thing. You know, we do pass the puppy, you sit in a big circle and you get to meet 10 puppies. So, you know, this is what we do on a Thursday, sorry, Saturday morning or Thursday evening. We have a class at six o'clock on a Thursday evening as well. So, you know, if you want to come and see us, and even if you want to just come down and see what we do, you're more than welcome. Come and see us. And if you've got a behavioral problem, remember, we come to you because that's where the issues are.
Speaker 2: Right, yeah. And you can go to the website, pawfectiondogtraining.com. You can also visit the website, the website, or the Facebook page. The Facebook page is awesome because a lot of people that are involved with that have already had experiences with it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, there's two.
Speaker 2: There's two.
Speaker 7: There's Pawfection Dog Training on the Facebook page. That's the public page. Or Pawfection Dog Training USA members page. That's a request to join page.
Speaker 2: Okay, good.
Speaker 7: And keep an eye on those because we're going to be doing some lectures very shortly with the Seminole County Animal Services. So if you're thinking about adopting a dog, we're going to run some seminars for you to ask questions and to sort of manage your expectations about getting a dog from the rescue.
Speaker 2: Right on, man.
Speaker 7: So they don't get returned.
Speaker 2: Always good to see you, man. You guys give it up for Daryl Payne.
Speaker 6: Yay!
Speaker 2: AllFashionedDogTraining.com. Good seeing you, buddy, as always.
Speaker 7: You too.
Speaker 2: Great job, man. Thank you, Daryl. Oh, I'm sorry. No, it's okay.
Speaker 4: As always, Animal House is brought to you by Glenn Klausman over at Klausman Law. So if you, someone you work with, someone in your family has been in any kind of an accident, it could be a car, truck, motorcycle, even a slip and fall, you need to call Glenn Klausman because Glenn is going to handle your case. Glenn isn't going to pass you off to a caseworker. In fact, Glenn is going to give you a cell phone number and and then pick it up when you call. Just a couple of reasons why year after year he's voted super lawyer and legal elite. He truly is an animal lover and truly is a friend of the show. So if you've been in any kind of an accident, give him a call, 407-917-1718, or check him out online at klausmanlaw.com. That's K-L-A-U-S-M-A-N-L-A-W.com.
Speaker 2: Thanks, Deb. I'll say it on the mic this time. Let's take a little break. Back in a second with our buddy Scott Maxwell from the Orlando Sentinel. Poor lady. We lost another one.
Speaker 17: And nobody's going to remember her unless they're 50 or older. But J.P. Morgan. I'm sure that Jack and Jimmy will remember the name. She was on a lot of game shows.
Speaker 2: She was a bawdy, a bawdy kind of. Back in the late 70s. What I remember about her is she was always on the gong show. She was one of the three panelists on the gong show. Always, yeah, yeah. Welcome back. I'm Jim. There's Deb. Hello.
Speaker 7: Jack.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 2: And Ross is here as well. Believe in yourself. All right.
Speaker 3: Every single Wednesday around this time, we invite this fine gentleman to hop on board and talk about fun stuff with us. He works for the Orlando Sentinel. You can read his columns Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Sundays.
Speaker 2: They call him Sweet Heat from his head to his feet. Sizzling hot like an asphalt street. Dripping to the swag of an Orlando Sentinel.
Speaker 11: Beep, beep, beep.
Speaker 2: Ladies and gentlemen, columnist Scott. Take it to the max.
Speaker 10: Swag.
Speaker 2: After 33,000 years on Real Radio 104.1, you finally, my friend, have an intro, and it wasn't even done by us.
Speaker 1: Oh, my God.
Speaker 20: Can I get it for my ringtone? That's amazing.
Speaker 2: And a listener sent this unsolicited last week, and so we played it. And then I sent it to Dan Stone to kind of pump it up a little bit. And so we got a little music and production behind it now. How about that? I am honored. It only took me 25 years.
Speaker 8: That's all, buddy.
Speaker 2: God only knows what's next for you after 25 years. How you doing, buddy? Everything good? I think I'm done. I think I'm done.
Speaker 20: You know, tomorrow, sort of relevant of that, we are having for the first time in my, how long have I been at the newspaper? 28 years. We are having an Orlando Sentinel reunion party.
Speaker 10: No.
Speaker 20: And like for you all to imagine, can you imagine what a hot mess it would be if you had everybody who'd worked at the radio station over the last 50 years together with booze in one place?
Speaker 2: You know, I'm gonna tell you 20, 20% of them would not be allowed in the building.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know about what, I don't know about the past of your people, but we have some, we've got some sketches in our group. So yeah, yeah. That'd be kind of fun to see some of those old faces though, for sure.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 20: Tomorrow night we'll have a, there's got, I think they, They set the space capacity at 400 people, and they filled up immediately.
Speaker 2: No way, really? That's got to be pretty exciting, buddy. I mean, are you excited about seeing some of your old friends and pals? Yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 20: There are some people who've flown. into town just for this they're gonna be serving up the sentinel whiskey and uh swapping stories about what it was like uh you know when everybody.
Speaker 2: Read the newspaper wait i'm sorry is that sentinel whiskey are we talking forward slash sentinel whiskey You better believe it, Ross, man.
Speaker 1: Oh, my God.
Speaker 2: I got to try it because I want to get drunk and be informed. And you do. It is good.
Speaker 20: I can legit say it is very good whiskey.
Speaker 2: It's smooth, Ross.
Speaker 7: It is.
Speaker 1: I agree.
Speaker 2: I mean, these guys do a great job. Actually, I just saw a video from the boys today. They're up at some big distillery, legendary distillery, scoping out more stuff to bring to Orlando, which is very cool.
Speaker 20: Yeah, they're sort of up in their social media game, aren't they?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they are, man.
Speaker 3: They're good guys. We are super proud to be part of the Ford slash family. and spreading the word of them all throughout Central Florida. We've got some really cool, exciting stuff. Actually, we have a meeting tomorrow about some stuff coming up there we want to kind of bring to forward slash and continue our relationship with them into the spring and fall when the weather is much nicer. We can go out there and do some stuff out and around, take the bus back over there. We're really excited. They're wonderful guys, and it is a really unique business in Orlando.
Speaker 2: It is unique.
Speaker 20: It's a homey place, and just because the name is great, I can't say it enough. The Sentinel whiskey is named Old Watchdog.
Speaker 2: Old Watchdog. All right, Scott writes for the Orlando Sentinel, like he just said, Wednesdays and Thursdays and Sundays. You can read his column.
Speaker 3: Today's was interesting as well because I've actually been reading about this a little bit. It seems to fly in the face of some national stories that we hear about, but I think it's the demo that really makes the difference, right?
Speaker 2: Right. The headline of your story today is Florida is a boom state no more. Explain, sir.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 20: And so for history, anybody who lives here knows that Florida has always been one of the fastest growing states in America ever since air conditioning was invented and citizens outlawed income taxes back in 1924. You know, people have flocked down here for mild winters and no taxes. But recently, our growth rate has dropped precipitously. In fact, last year, Florida's growth rate was less than one percent and only twice in the past century has it ever been that low. One was during the Great Recession.
Speaker 2: Once was the 1940s.
Speaker 20: So, I mean, just to put it in perspective, we're still even at one percent growing faster than most states. But this is way slower than anything Florida has had. I mean, we're now trailing like Idaho. You know, forget big states like Texas and Arizona. South Carolina and North Carolina have faster growth rates. And while some people may like this, you know, fewer cars on I-4 and we've been growing maybe a little too fast, economists and business leaders are concerned about, as you pointed out, why we've slowed down. And a big part of that is that 20-somethings are getting the hell out of this state. They might be getting their college degree here. But afterwards, they're bolting. And retirees, they're still coming. And, you know, God knows a newspaper loves retirees, right? They are our bread and butter. But God love them. Retirees don't make anything. They don't fuel an economy. They're not working 40-hour jobs. And so that's a big reason that people, including people like Rick Scott, are sounding alarms.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 15: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Of all people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that is interesting because, I mean, it's just the cost of living here is so unbelievable that, you know, it's hard. I mean, you know, one of the big stories is regardless if you're moving here or just live here, the idea of buying a home with a median price near, is it near or over 400K now in Central Florida?
Speaker 2: Like 365? I haven't looked at the rates at once, but. But that's about right.
Speaker 20: And when my wife and I moved here in a nice neighborhood just outside of Maitland that you're familiar with, $ 125, 000 got you four bedrooms and a pool in a nice neighborhood. And the 20-somethings are seeing the market and knowing they can't make that happen.
Speaker 2: And you're right.
Speaker 20: It's the cost of living. Florida used to be a cheap state. Everybody could come down here and make a cheap living. But that's not the case. Jobs don't pay enough. We pay much less than other states, a median wage. As everyone knows, property insurance is high. Housing is high. MSCNBC recently named Florida one of America's 10 most expensive states. And people might say, wait, California, New York's got to be more expensive.
Speaker 2: And they are. They are more expensive.
Speaker 20: But places that are more expensive, most of those places also pay better.
Speaker 2: We don't have that.
Speaker 20: So what we are attracting, and like Rhonda Santos often say, well, look, another billionaire moved to Florida. And one of the things that the Wall Street Journal and they're the ones who've really focused on this over the past year. They've said Florida is not the state it used to be. They've said, yeah, rich people are coming, but they're not bringing their companies and they're not bringing their jobs. Mark Zuckerberg, you know, buys a house in South Florida. He didn't move Facebook down there.
Speaker 2: Bezos lives here now. He didn't he didn't bring Amazon here.
Speaker 20: Amazon's not here except for the shipping facilities. The only reason they're coming here is to dodge taxes. And one of the things that the Wall Street Journal reporters honed in is that a side effect is these wealthy people come, particularly in South Florida, and they actually drive up housing prices. So they don't bring jobs. They don't bring anything else that really creates, but they do boost the housing stock. So 20-somethings are saying, I'm heading to North Carolina where if I make $ 75, 000, I might have a chance at.
Speaker 2: Owning a house. I got to tell you real quick, Ross.
Speaker 3: I got to tell you, there's a line in this story today that was absolutely stultifying. I had no idea this was the case. Florida has fewer Fortune 500 companies than any of the other big four states. It would be Texas, New York, and California, correct?
Speaker 6: Correct.
Speaker 2: But it gets worse than that. Did you guys know this? Listen to this stat. This is crazy.
Speaker 3: Would you have bet any money that Florida has fewer Fortune 500 companies than the city of Dallas?
Speaker 2: Whoa.
Speaker 3: We have fewer Fortune 500 companies in the entire state of Florida. By the way, the fourth biggest or fifth biggest economy in the U.S., and we have fewer Fortune 500 companies than just Dallas, Texas.
Speaker 2: That's amazing, dude. Like, that is truly amazing. With all the tax breaks and subsidies, we have failed to attract the top, the headquarters of these buildings.
Speaker 20: That is exactly right, Jack. And when I say that we have fewer than the big states... It's like not even close. I looked at the number just I can't remember. But I think ours is 22. The big states are having like 56, 80 and over 100. So we're not even close. We're not even in the top 10. I last I checked for those. And it's because of what.
Speaker 2: You just said.
Speaker 20: We don't have a ready workforce. We don't have we don't have a tech community. We don't have a medical community. I mean, even places like we often talk about North Carolina. You know, there's a medical community. complex up there. We don't have that here. And so when you're not making things, you don't have a big workforce for thousands of jobs, theme parks and hotels. And the other thing that both the Wall Street Journal and I focused on is one of Florida's biggest industries is growth itself. And that's not sustainable. By that, I mean it's construction, it's development, it's strip centers and condos. That's not a sustainable industry by itself. And every time a recession hits, places like Nevada and Florida get hit way.
Speaker 2: Worse than anyone else. Scott, I think you just perfectly described the trajectory of one of the smartest people life has ever had me cross, which is my brother-in-law. He's a college graduate, smoked all of his classes, and now lives in North Carolina and has a government job as an engineer. And I asked him, I remember, I was like, why'd you leave Florida? He was like, Basically, everything you just said, didn't like it. I really enjoy over there more. And, dude, you're right. The Carolinas have seen growth. At first, it started with North Carolina. Like, that was great. But, man, South Carolina... has.
Speaker 3: Seen some exponential growth recently simply because the state is beautiful.
Speaker 2: It's accessible. It isn't overrun yet. It's affordable.
Speaker 3: Insurance is affordable. It's protected from a lot of natural disaster kind of areas.
Speaker 2: There's jobs. It's kind of crazy. Although they are still sad about losing the war. Yeah, they are.
Speaker 20: Civil war, that is. Not quite as sad as they used to be, but yeah, you're right. They are sad. And Jim, that was the state that surprised me the most was South Carolina. Because yeah, we've all heard of I think Idaho was the other one that surprised me. Idaho and South Carolina are both booming. And Ross, what you're talking about with your brother-in-law, I mean, once again, this isn't an ideological thing. It's a mathematical thing. We've talked about this before. The average salary, the average job in central Florida pays about, I think it was about $ 40, 000 a year. Well, if Jim's right, the average house is $ 400, 000 a year. The math on that don't work. It just, those two things don't. And we're talking about the median in both cases here. So there's a lot of people making a lot less, whereas people go up to North Carolina and maybe they're not living right in the heart of Charlotte, but they're living in a suburb. or they're living in a suburb of Chapel Hill or someplace that, and they can still find a house and their job's going to pay about 20 to 25% more.
Speaker 2: By the way, I was wrong. The average median house, according to homes.com in central Florida is 410 to $ 414, 000. A condo can run you 307.
Speaker 7: Damn.
Speaker 20: Now, if you, and I've, I've done this before, but if you just went to Zillow and said like, what's your average mortgage payment going to be on a $ 400, 000 house? Again, that math does not add up with a $ 40, 000 a year job.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's no way you can do that.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Incredible, dude. So, like, I hate to just wrap this up. It's like, well, what do we do? I'm glad you asked, Ron. You've got to create some higher-paying jobs. You've got to create some more industry. We need to make things. We need to export things. We need to create things.
Speaker 20: I mean, this is, you know, I'd be banging on this drum forever, but, like, this is a community and a state at large that is just so happy to be tourism dependent. And if you think tourism by itself makes a good economy, you should visit Haiti.
Speaker 2: Oh, man.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 20: It's one of their biggest economic engines.
Speaker 2: And you're right.
Speaker 3: You're right 100 percent, Scott, because one of our most burgeoning tourist industries is the cruise industry. I mean, you think about how much money they're going to pour into the port over the Canaveral and how many ships go through there. But yet it's yet another job that pays low. It's these low-paying jobs, loading ships, offloading ships, cleaning ships. You know, there's like there's like maybe 20 guys on the entire ship that actually make a bunch of money. And there's only like 20 of those ships that come through there. So of all those jobs that are the cruise industry, a lot of them don't really have high paying jobs.
Speaker 12: Yes.
Speaker 20: And and there are not great benefits for a lot of the hospitality. The major ones do. But the major ones, you know, Disney only has so many hotels. A lot of the people working in this community are working at the Motel 6s and the no-name places, the Royal Palm that got created after Best Western left town.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, I was just going to mention the numbers have been coming in, and tourism numbers have dropped significantly.
Speaker 2: Quite a bit, yeah.
Speaker 4: You know, quite a bit. Not drastic levels, but enough that that cash cow is starting to look like, well, maybe we shouldn't hook our wagon completely up to this.
Speaker 2: The weird thing about building industry in Florida is kind of a weird thing, right? So land here costs a lot of money.
Speaker 3: So if you're building an industry and you're going to create a factory or whatever the case may be, you know, it's hard to go in without, like Jack said, I mean– Without help from the state or some type of subsidy to find a giant plot of land in the state of Florida that isn't already scheduled for development.
Speaker 4: You mean data centers?
Speaker 3: It's got to be difficult as well. And I know that you said that there's no medical, but we are taking a shot at that. That Lake Nona area out there has become like a medical city, but it's not a complex like you're talking about built around a college city like Shands and Gainesville or any of the complexes up in North Carolina either.
Speaker 20: I still believe that one of the single best things this community did was create a medical school at UCF for exactly that reason. If you think about what the future holds, there's a lot that we're not sure about in the economy and what we're going to need. But one thing we're always going to need is medicine. And another thing we all know is technology. And the successful communities, whether they're Austin, Texas, or Raleigh, Durham, North Carolina, they've been investing in those two things. And it not only secures jobs that are always going to be there, they're jobs that pay twice, three times, four.
Speaker 2: Times as much as what we have.
Speaker 20: And keep in mind, just to put it in perspective, this is a state where the governors still celebrate the opening of Buc-ee's.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 20: We go out to ribbon cuttings out there and we get very excited about that. Meanwhile, you know, Dell or whatever is expanding a third campus outside Texas.
Speaker 2: The stuff adds up. Yeah, yeah, for sure. But have you had a beaver nugget?
Speaker 20: I have to tell you, Ross, I have actually, this is a moment of shame, I have never set foot in a Bucky.
Speaker 1: Really?
Speaker 2: You know what I'm going to tell you? It's worth the drive up there. I know people who've driven up there just to experience it, to stand in front of the wall of jerky. No, no, no. It's worth a pit stop if you are driving somewhere else. Jack, I disagree. It's worth the trip. It's not your destination. It's a destination event, Jack. It's no wah-wah.
Speaker 20: Maybe if you're on the way to one of the poker rooms.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, maybe so. It's even past that, though, I think.
Speaker 17: I know.
Speaker 2: I know where it is.
Speaker 20: Yeah, no, I'll go up there and get some jerky and some flip-flops.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure. Some jerky and flip-flops. Sounds like a true Floridian. And a little laugh love sign in the kitchen. All right, you guys give it up for Scott. What do you say there?
Speaker 9: Yeah!
Speaker 2: Thursday, Sunday, right there in the pages of the Orlando Sentinel. Get your prescription. Get your subscription today at OrlandoSentinel.com. Ask your doctor about the paper. Good seeing you, buddy. It's addictive. Thanks, guys.
Speaker 20: 407-916-1041.
Speaker 2: Text us 77031. Back in one sec.
Speaker 6: Born and raised Floridian here. Now I'm up in North Carolina working for Wake Forest Health Care System.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 6: Ain't no way I'm ever moving back to Florida. North Carolina is where it's at, man. The cost of living, the mountains, the beach. not being such a red state. And there are a bunch of Floridians I know that have actually moved up here. So, yeah, the exodus from Florida is real.
Speaker 2: Yeah, both of those. Go ahead.
Speaker 7: You're good.
Speaker 18: Hey, how's it ohana? Oh, no secret to people in the Melbourne area right now. It is gnarly. The rain, the lightning. I mean, people, please slow down. Don't tailgate people and stuff like this.
Speaker 2: There's already flooded roads, people hydroplaning.
Speaker 18: And, man, just slow down.
Speaker 2: Be careful.
Speaker 18: I was just on the causeway. Big lightning bolt hit in front of me. Shook my truck. Shook me. Shook me up. It's electrifying.
Speaker 2: Aloha. Aloha, bro.
Speaker 7: Aloha.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the Carolinas offer some really interesting beaches and mountains, seasonal changes. Yeah, I mean, the Blue Ridge Parkway is absolutely stunning. You know, Charlotte, great cities all around there, great food. That scene is coming alive. You know, South Carolina has Myrtle Beach, one of the best golf destinations in the entire United States of America. And that continues all the way west in that state as well. Plus affordable land, affordable housing. 407-916-1041. Text us, 77031.
Speaker 2: I'm Jim. There's Deb.
Speaker 10: Hello.
Speaker 2: Jack is here as well. And so is Ross. 14 sketches this Saturday.
Speaker 3: I was about to say, speaking of Ross, this Saturday, 14 sketches is coming to the Mount Dora Music Hall, and it's going to be a damn good time.
Speaker 2: It's Joel and Ross.
Speaker 3: You guys saw these guys do their fringe show, 20 sketches. They pulled the 14 faves, and they're delivering them to you right to the dome tonight. It's so cool. We've been in rehearsals all week. It's been going great to get the sketches back in the blood.
Speaker 2: And I'll throw this out here. I'll say this. I don't think anybody listening to this, I don't think you've seen a two-man sketch show in your life. You know why you probably have never seen a two-man live sketch show before?
Speaker 7: Why's that?
Speaker 2: It's really hard. Yeah, yeah. It's stupid hard.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: I thought you were going to say you invented it. No, I did not invent it. That would probably be, what, Abbott and Costello? All I'm saying is that this is such a unique entertainment offering. I'm stupid proud of it, and it's such a great time. It's got like half a million likes on social media. That's likes there. I don't even know how many views. They always go viral when I post them. So now we get to do it live in Mount Dora. It's a very special night. It's funny. You said, who'd you say? Lauren Hardy? Abbott and Costello. Who was first? Lauren Hardy was first?
Speaker 4: I think so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah. And then who are the other great duos? Lewis and... Dean Martin. Martin and Lewis. Yeah, that was another big one. Let's see. Well, who else? There's one more, right? Isn't there one more classic comedy?
Speaker 4: Wasn't there Smother Brothers?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but there were three of them, though, right? No, two. Two, just two? Yeah.
Speaker 4: Dean Martin, Jerry Lewis, Evan Costello. Laurel and Hardy. Laurel and Hardy. Key and Peele.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Key and Peele.
Speaker 4: Simon Pegg and Nick Frost.
Speaker 2: But they're not doing them on stage like these guys. Those are guys who write bits that are turned into filmed bits, you know, way different.
Speaker 10: Amy Poehler.
Speaker 2: It is happening this Saturday night, man. Get your tickets August 29th.
Speaker 3: Just simply go to rosscomedy.com or realradio.fm slash comedy. It is a mature audience scenario, so you need to kind of make sure that whomever you bring with you is aware that there's going to be some, you know, some.
Speaker 2: Adult humor.
Speaker 18: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Just like the opening of the show today. Yeah, yeah, exactly. I always recommend, hey, if you're 15, I don't know, but if you're 15 with cool parents, come on in.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: That would be my recommendation for it. Yeah. That's a little sketchy. So, show's at 7 or 7.30? I believe... 8 o'clock. 8 o'clock, even better. Nailed it. Yeah, get there early, get nailed it. Gives you plenty of time to get down there and get a drink or two. Door's at 6.30, and they'll have a bar there set up. It's a perfect date night. It really is. It's the best date night that I can give Central Florida. It really is.
Speaker 4: We've had a lot of people already text us and say they've... already got their airbnb all set up so they're making it a weekend staycation asking for places to go have breakfast.
Speaker 3: I gotta tell you man that is like that is really where mount dora shines when you have a show at the music hall and you're able to come in a little bit early maybe even that afternoon because it's on a saturday which is great you get there early check in get a get a room at the lakeside go get an airbnb stay downtown uh you can walk around with your alcohol in the city it's a wonderful little place have some lunch out there many Many great places and magical dining is going on right now. So a number of the best restaurants in the city, like 1921 and others, are doing magical dining as well. And it is great. And wherever you park, once you park, it's once. Because you can walk right to the music hall right from downtown. It's only a couple blocks.
Speaker 7: Oh, yeah.
Speaker 2: The absolute best. I'm looking forward to it. I'm very much looking forward to it. VIP still has seats available. That comes with a goodie bag with some cool stuff in it, too. Yeah, right on. Oh, thanks. Ross comedy dot com. Spell it like sauce. Yes, for sure. All right. So we're going to get a break here in a second, but I want to set this up because that's what we're going to talk about when we come back.
Speaker 3: Netflix announced today some of the shows that are coming out. Actually, I've been going to the BBC. The BBC does a really good job at this. I was talking to Emily, the movie girl, just the other day. because I saw this list of movies coming out in September, and a few of them I'm super excited about. She already had them on her list to watch. They did the same thing today with television shows, right? And, Jack, did you ever see Slow Horses? I watched the first season. I enjoyed it. I have not gone back. The new season is coming out. I guess it's the third season of that. That's Gary Oldman, whom I believe is one of the best, most kind of under-mentioned stars Great actors in Hollywood.
Speaker 2: British spy show.
Speaker 6: Exactly.
Speaker 2: I read the book. Yeah, really? Is what I would... Is the title... of person that I would like to be. I did not read the book, but I wanted to. Yeah, yeah. But that's coming out.
Speaker 3: But one of the shows I found to be quite interesting, all right? So they did this with Roseanne, all right? Remember when they brought back Roseanne, how did.
Speaker 17: They do it?
Speaker 2: Do you guys remember?
Speaker 4: It's called the Connors, right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was called the Connors. No, but when they brought it back, it was Roseanne. Then she made the comment. Right, then they booted her and just called it the Connors. They killed her in a van accident or something. I don't know what it was.
Speaker 8: I'm joking.
Speaker 2: But the concept there was they picked up where the show left off. They didn't go back and try to reboot the show, right? Isn't that how it went? Right, yes.
Speaker 3: In other words, when they rebooted the show, you got to see where they are now.
Speaker 18: Correct.
Speaker 3: You're not going back and creating the show from the beginning with maybe new characters or something like that. Nothing like that, right? They're doing that to a show from the 90s. And the cool thing is from the show from the 90s is they're actually using a lot of the cast that was in the original show. And they're rebooting it, and it is exactly like that. They're picking up where this other show left off. And that show is right after this break.
Speaker 2: Anything that's a doodle isn't actually a breed. It's a mixed breed. So congratulations on your fancy mutt. They shouldn't also be worth that much. It's kind of crazy how much they go for. Coming in hot. Guy hates doodles.
Speaker 23: On a different note, I've recently started using the tanning bed. Just because I'm going to prank my ex-wife into thinking I've just come back From my honeymoon in the Caribbean.
Speaker 10: Why?
Speaker 2: Because it's not illegal to make her think I've gotten remarried very quickly and all of a sudden. What a weird flex. That's wild. I would nominate that as one of the weirdest talkbacks we've ever had. It is very bizarre. And he's thinking about it.
Speaker 4: Oh, no, it sounds like he's doing it.
Speaker 2: Or just go outside, brother. Get a tan. All right, welcome back. We're in Florida, buddy. It works. All right, 407-916-1041. Text us, 77031. You don't need to talk back. That's easy. Grab the iHeartRadio app. Go straight to our radio and use that mic to send your comment over to Jack. We'll get you on the air. I'm Jim, there's Deb. Hello.
Speaker 6: Jack.
Speaker 2: And Ross as well. It is true. Just checking the texting service during the break. I was wrong.
Speaker 3: They did not kill her in a van crash. I did not know this, however. Did you guys know that they made her OD on the show?
Speaker 2: Did you know that? I didn't watch it, so I just saw the texting service. That made me aware.
Speaker 7: I was not.
Speaker 4: Same here.
Speaker 3: I didn't know they did it like that. I mean, that's kind of a dirty way to write somebody off a show, right? Isn't a car crash like considerably more like a kind of random? I mean, a drug overdose, even though it's a character, you know, people are going to draw a weird line between that sometimes.
Speaker 2: Seems like a shot, doesn't it? I think it probably was a shot. It's like, hey, we just rebooted this successfully. You did what online? Yeah, yeah, yeah. But is that worse than how they killed Charlie Sheen's character in Two and a Half Men? How did they do that? I don't even know. They had a piano drop on his head when he was standing at the front door of his house. I got to tell you, I like that better than an OD. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think if you're going to be a character killed off, I mean, I think, you know, they can really make you, because you don't have a say-so anymore.
Speaker 2: You know, you're just a character.
Speaker 3: But writing you off as a drug overdose, that is a shot. Because writers have the ability to do whatever the hell they want.
Speaker 4: They do, but it could also be just that her character, once again, they were a blue-collar family facing what a lot of blue-collar families faced. And for a lot of that, that meant workplace accidents and being put on opioids as a way of dealing with that pain. So maybe it could have been a sly shot, but also a way of saying, hey– This family suffers just the way your family suffers.
Speaker 2: Interesting, yeah, yeah. I guess you could certainly look at it like that.
Speaker 3: But I think when Jack said that, you know, when they rebooted the show and then she goes online and makes a bunch of bombastic statements that really kind of embarrass the network or whatever, it leads me to believe that the only retribution they could really get against her other than get her off the show is they got to make the choice on how to write her off the program.
Speaker 2: And I think an OD is like one of the worst things. I mean, think about that. I mean, I guess you could make her a pedophile and get shot during a raid or something. There's another one of these incidents that I just recently stumbled across with comedian T.J. Miller. Oh, yeah. That guy made everybody hate him quick. And he has a reputation out in Hollywood, but I'll still stand on the hill and be like, dude, put a microphone in his hand at a comedy club. He's going to destroy. With that said, him and Michael Bay. I believe did not exactly get along for the Transformers series. I heard he had some issues with Deadpool as well. Yes. Or maybe it was, it was one of the big Marvel movies is that he, but his death is just very over the top in the movie.
Speaker 14: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it's kind of wild. It was Deadpool. They could have, they could have made her like have a parachuting accident. They could have done anything really.
Speaker 21: Right.
Speaker 3: You know, I mean, and they wrote her off as an OD. I think that's a shot. It feels like that to me anyway. But, I mean, Deb could be 100% right. I mean, because that would be representative of what people do deal with sometimes. You know, work injury.
Speaker 2: We know somebody. I know somebody close to me who did a situation like that. Work injury. started taking meds to maintain that, became an addict, lost everything.
Speaker 4: Well, somebody did text us at 77031. They played her as addicted to painkillers from knee pain and all of that. And they also played a little bit of political stuff in there as well.
Speaker 2: Oh, really?
Speaker 4: I didn't watch it.
Speaker 2: Double correction. It was Transformers. Was it really? Kill me, Jack. All right.
Speaker 3: So I tease going into the break that there is a show that Netflix is rebooting, and it is going to be a show that kind of picks up where the old show left off. Now, I don't know how many people watch this. I know it was very popular because the show itself was a spinoff.
Speaker 2: Whoa. Brian and Mindy. Primarily African-American cast. Martin. The Jeffersons. Well, all of those are great guests. Martin is a great guest. More current than the Jeffersons.
Speaker 4: Cosby show?
Speaker 2: With Dr. Huxtables? What was the spinoff from that, though? Lisa Bonet, right?
Speaker 17: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: What was that show? I think this is the right one. I hope I have it right. Us too.
Speaker 4: Not Punky Brewster.
Speaker 8: No, no.
Speaker 2: Lisa Bonet's show after that. I don't remember what it was called. Family Matters?
Speaker 14: No.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: A Different World?
Speaker 6: Ah.
Speaker 2: Is that it? Yeah, I think it is. Yeah, it's A Different World. Jada Pinkett Smith was on the show as well, right? I want to check that out.
Speaker 3: I think this is a 90s, late 90s show, maybe early 2000s. So it's A Different World, which was a spinoff of The Cosbys. And it was on the air for maybe seven or eight years or whatever. They're bringing that back, and they're just basically using some of the old cast members and kind of rebooting it. Now, look, I don't care anything about A Different World. I never was that fan of that. I wasn't really a fan of Cosby either. A Cosby show I enjoyed. Yeah, I never got.
Speaker 2: Into any of that.
Speaker 3: Really, to be honest with you, I was out of sitcom world during that time anyway, so... I'd lost my verb for sitcoms. But my question is, what show do you like that for? What show would you like to see right now that they would pick up where they left off, where the show ended, and kind of move on into a next chapter of what the characters there would have done?
Speaker 2: For me, one of the first ones was Sopranos. Yeah, I was just thinking that.
Speaker 3: Sopranos because of the way it ended. And I think that has the biggest part of it is, how do those shows end? If they end really mysteriously like Sopranos did, you wonder, what does the wife do after that? Do the kids turn into, are they targeted because they were with Soprano and his family? I mean, what would have happened? I think that would be a good show. Does the kid take over for Tony? Does he grow up in the business? Stuff like that.
Speaker 2: I think it also offers something for writers to kind of bite into. Well, I know– oh, man.
Speaker 11: Friends?
Speaker 2: Malcolm in the Middle is about to do this.
Speaker 8: Are they really?
Speaker 2: Or they just did.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: They're all grown up now.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And you see Malcolm like in a suit and tie. King of the Hill is the same thing. Now Bobby– I mean his parents are catching Bobby having sex.
Speaker 2: Oh, really? Yeah. Frankie Munoz in that one you were talking about, right?
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And he's going to be in the new show?
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: He's like a race car driver now. Mm-hmm.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I wonder if Brian, is Brian Cranston going to be part of it as well?
Speaker 2: Die. And James Merrick.
Speaker 17: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I can't imagine Cranston's doing it. That guy's like a massive star, but I guess work is work. I don't know.
Speaker 4: Plus, that was, you know.
Speaker 2: He seems like the kind of guy who would do it. He bounces around and does fun stuff. Yeah, I would kind of agree with that.
Speaker 21: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I got to tell you, man, this Matthew Rhys guy, I've seen more and more interviews with him lately. I can't wait to see him in anything now. I hope they do reboot Widow's Bay and we can get a second season. I think they already committed to it. Is he going to be the Riddler in the Batman movies?
Speaker 2: No, I haven't heard that, dude. I haven't heard that at all. Yeah. Oh, he would be really good if so. Cranston's in it, by the way. The only person who's not in it is Dewey. Oh, why is he alive?
Speaker 21: No, yeah.
Speaker 4: I believe he's facing some legal problem.
Speaker 2: Oh, Dewey. Who played him? He was the little kid. Oh, really? He's got child actor problems?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think he's following up with that prophecy. I think you could do this with friends. And again, writing-wise, because they kind of paired up. You kind of visit them after the case and you have three different shows you can do or you have three different scenarios you could write for. Well, you got to get the actors on board with that. Like Full House, they did it. Right, right, right. Fuller House. Yeah, yeah, yeah. I don't know if there's any good or any of them worth a damn.
Speaker 3: When you pick them up, I think you also have to have a show that has some vibes going out.
Speaker 2: Like, again, I don't think you could do it with Seinfeld. I mean, he would never do it again. He wouldn't do the show when he was on the air. They were going to pay him $ 5 million a season. I mean, he could. Last time we saw him, they were all in a jail cell together.
Speaker 8: Oh, really?
Speaker 4: Such a stupid ending.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't see that. I didn't see the ending of Seinfeld.
Speaker 4: What about Dexter? I mean, I know they have done a couple of reboots, but.
Speaker 2: They did reboot him. They rebooted him for an entire season. They killed him, brought him back.
Speaker 3: And they brought all the people back, like all the old people he'd killed. They made cameos as apparitions in his memory and stuff.
Speaker 2: Wait, you're not a Seinfeld guy? Not a Seinfeld guy, buddy. Are you a Friends guy? Yeah, I watched it because of my wife. Oh, is he immediately on the defense? Yeah, after it had already ended. Look, I choose to watch it now in the replays. There's a channel that plays Friends all day long. And occasionally we'll kind of tune in and watch a couple old episodes of Friends. I think the writing's good. I just never, I never, I'm not a big fan of Jerry Seinfeld. He seems like a douchebag. All right. So it's hard for me to kind of get it, to find him funny because he seems like such a dick. Texter says, I assume they're talking about Malcolm in the Middle kid. It says no legal problems. He just stopped acting. He didn't want to be in the spotlight anymore. I'll be damned.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm thinking of a different one. I think I'm thinking from Tool Time.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh, Tim Allen?
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I would think that they also rebooted that, did they not? Can I say a cartoon to answer your question?
Speaker 2: I think that's even more exciting. Are you going to make fun of me, though? Yes, probably. Yeah, definitely. No matter what you say. Back in 1992, one of my favorite animated series happened, and it was my introduction to cartoon, Batman, the animated series, that just gothic art direction. I just wish I had more episodes of that. But I think they ran through all the villains.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I just looked to the right, and actually the one that I see on the texting service is one of the first I thought of when I saw the story, and it's the X-Files. And I think now with the rebooted kind of UFO vibes that are going on right now out of the White House. I thought they're doing that.
Speaker 4: They're getting ready.
Speaker 2: Oh, I did not know that.
Speaker 4: There's an X-Files reboot. With Julian Anderson and David Duchovny? No.
Speaker 2: They're affiliated but not starring.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're not the detectives this time. They're like directors or something? They say fans of the series will love the people that are taking over for the next paranormal thing.
Speaker 2: It's weird that they don't– I guess I'm sitting here saying I'm learning that they are doing this in TV, but we've done this in the movie world so much, kind of done these reboots and re-ups of movie ideas that I was like, this is one of the first ones I remember from television, but you guys are right. There's a bunch of them out there. What was the– Star of X-Files. What was the name? Julian Anderson. David Duchovny. David Duchovny. That guy. I just saw an interview with him, and he just confessed to his co-star. He goes, hey, I just want to let you know that every phone call we ever had on the show, there was another person on the other line feeding my lines.
Speaker 17: Oh, really?
Speaker 2: And it was a big inside joke on set because she memorized every line.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And that he kind of trolled her by going, how is he so good at this? And it's because he was actually on a phone call.
Speaker 3: You know what's really unique about that show? I just saw them doing an interview. God, I'm so clueless sometimes. Maybe they were actually doing the interview because they were rebooting. Did you see the effect of the X-Files? Do you remember what happened?
Speaker 2: What happened? Do you remember, Jack? Yeah, after the.
Speaker 3: X-Files, there was a movie I saw. Yeah, there was a thing called the Scully Effect. There was a massive influx of women going into the forensic science field.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's cool.
Speaker 3: And going into those fields of investigation, joining the FBI, trying to get into the CIA, NSA, and all those fields. Women didn't really feel invited into that world anymore. Until they saw Scully. And by the way, she was only like 26 years old when she was making that show, playing like a 35-year-old. I believe she lied to the producers because she had a little bit more of a mature look to her. But she was only in her mid-20s doing that.
Speaker 2: That's the power of representation, even when it's fiction. Right, yeah, 100%. But just seeing someone do something, letting you know, oh, well, I can do that.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: There's not too much fiction when you're eight years old. Right. Exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I want to be that.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And look, what a great role model because the show was really good. I loved the X-Files. I think I watched the first three seasons and never missed an episode.
Speaker 2: Texter points out one that Deb was rooting for, but then went away again. Also connected with Dolly Parton. I learned as well, the Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, and Sarah Michelle Gellar was back. You had so many of the original characters.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: And then for some reason, I guess the studio just didn't like the script. They didn't like where the characters were going. And they just shelved it. I mean, they just pulled the plug completely on that project.
Speaker 2: I think my wife would love that show as well. You think with all the different options now, whether it's– well, I guess they're all becoming one again. But there might be a studio opportunity to do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: If they're not just sitting on the rights to it.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I would think that if you're a writer in Hollywood or you're a studio and you're considering one of these reboots, I think the– How many members of the cast being alive or relevant anymore would also come into play, right?
Speaker 2: Like somebody just typed in Cheers, which was a brilliant show. It was. It was absolutely brilliant.
Speaker 3: But I don't know that that cast, you know, you're Ted Danson.
Speaker 2: And your George went. Well, George died. Yeah, George is dead. Uncle to Jason Sudeikis. That's right. You have Kelsey Grammer still with us. You can do him. I mean, life would be great for me and an entire millennial generation if we could pick up right where I believe season five of The Office, not six or seven. I could feel a generation just feel like a weighted blanket. Yeah, when Steve Carell, I mean, that show ended without Steve Carell really being a part of it for those last two seasons, and it just felt like we were naked watching it. Like, where'd dad go? Where's the funny dad?
Speaker 4: I'm almost scared to say this one just because of how real to life it was. It was like, wait a minute, how did you guys predict this stuff was going to happen but 24?
Speaker 2: Oh, with Kiefer Sutherland?
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: Remember how the episode would come out or like the week before there'd be like some catastrophe and they're like, hey, oops.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah. I used to watch that all the time. Please stop that. Was it good? I think I saw one episode of that show, but I'm not a big keeper. I thought it was awesome. Yeah, it was great. And that was the one where it was real time, so an hour was an hour. Right, right, right. And so that was kind of the gimmick to it. 24 was 24 hours, right? That was the whole idea? Everything happened in one day? One day. He can't do 24, but he can do raw screaming pivot. I don't get it. He's a bookend guy. All right.
Speaker 6: 407-916-1041.
Speaker 2: Text us 77031. Back in a sec with more of the Jim Colbert Show. Stay put. We'll be right back.
Speaker 11: Calvert Crew, it's Sarah.
Speaker 8: Hello.
Speaker 11: Wow, it is raining. Anyway, I just got out of work and I heard a caller talk some crap about doodles. By the way, I have his back because I worked at two different animal clinics. I will tell you right now, doodles are absolutely dumb. Every doodle I feel like has been dropped on their head because they are not mentally there. Not even cute like an orange cat with the one brain cell. They are just dumb animals. All the skin problems, all the belly problems, all the special diet food prescription.
Speaker 6: It's awful.
Speaker 9: Aw.
Speaker 6: Damn.
Speaker 2: Come on. Good afternoon, Colbert Carew.
Speaker 24: Okay, so a show that I do believe could use some more finality and actually quite a bit of explaining still is Lost, because that whole show was weird and whack, but awesome. But, you know, speaking of being lost, Jimmy, you know if you're in the Army and you lose your rifle, they'll charge you $ 85?
Speaker 7: Here we go.
Speaker 24: But also, that explains why captains in.
Speaker 2: The Navy go down with their ship. Big T out. It would be very expensive. Yeah.
Speaker 8: I got two interesting deaths from TV. Edith Blunker on All in the Family. No idea how she got whacked. And then Adrian on the Rocky series.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah. Hold up for a second. Help me out on this one. All right, man. They killed off Edith during that show? They didn't, did they? I don't remember that. Yeah, because she was still alive and acting, but when Archie came back, I think he was a widow. I don't know why. Yeah, that's wild. I do not remember that.
Speaker 3: My dad was a gigantic fan of All in the family, which is kind of wild.
Speaker 2: For the right reasons? Because he was Archie Bunker. I think he thought it was a bio. That's what I think. Welcome back. I'm Jim. Deb, Jack, and Ross are here as well. Don't be groundbreaking. Ross, in about 30 minutes, has a HHN, Halloween Horror Nights, preview for Ross Thoughts. I've done all the houses, and yes, Edith Bunker did die. It says that the story... It was revealed, excuse me, that Edith died off camera from a stroke. No way. See, I mean, I think that this is going to sound crazy. Season two premiere.
Speaker 3: I don't mean any disrespect for this, but, you know, if you're going to go out in a TV show and be written off the show, I think that's one of the better ways to do it, right? Like a natural kind of occurrence, whether it be heart attack or stroke or something like that. I still believe that having.
Speaker 2: The character O.D., even in the context of trying to make a statement about it, is still kind of a wild take, you know? So Gene Stapleton played Edith for nine seasons on All in the Family. They brought it. Then the show transformed into Archie Bunker's place. That's right. And she's like, I'm done. I'm done with this character. And then Carol O'Connor, who played Archie, actually dealt with some personal stuff. I guess his son had some dependency issues and was a complete nightmare his entire career. I think Carol Burnett also went through the same thing. So it was a spinoff that she got killed off. Yes. But she agreed to appear in a few of the early episodes to help that transition. Yeah. I saw she popped up on an episode of Everyone Loves Raymond. That's one that when it comes online. TV land or whatever, the, the me TV or cozy I'll watch. That was a really well-written show. Very well done. And there, I mean, really good. There is one, and this is a, I'll find it for what you do. I got to write it down. I'm going to save this one for what you do.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the other thing, too, is in that show, if you talk about legend Hollywood stuff from our era, and if you guys out there are a little bit younger and you haven't seen the movie Young Frankenstein, let me tell you, it's one of Mel Brooks' genius movies. It is so unbelievably funny, one of the most unique movies you'll ever see. It is painfully relevant still to this day. And who was the actor who played... who played Frankenstein or the monster in that movie. Oh, Peter Boyle, who was the dad in Everyone Loves Raymond. I turned into Everyone Loves Raymond the first time, and I'm like, oh, that's Frankenstein. Yeah, it's kind of wild how that crew came together, but everybody on that show had game, dude. Every character was super funny. Brad Garrett was funny. Of course, Raymond's funny. The parents were funny.
Speaker 2: It was great. I got a Snapple fact about Everybody Loves Raymond. It's the title of the movie. Do you know how our title of the show, Everybody Loves Raymond, do you know how they got to that? I do not know that. I know he was like the original Nate Bargatze. Well, it's a real-life story with Raymond's real-life brother and that his brother, who's a police officer... was kind of joking around and saying that, oh, everybody loves Raymond, the comedian. Everybody loves Raymond. Raymond told Phil Rosenthal that story. He loved it so much that Phil Rosenthal told the producers, all the bigwigs, we're naming the show Everybody Loves Raymond. Raymond sees the damn title of the show and he's like, what?
Speaker 4: And his brother is a police officer in the show.
Speaker 2: In the show. And so he goes ahead and starts going like, we have to change the title. There's no way this is going to work. You can't. And in his defense, I completely get it. As a comedian, you don't want the host bringing you up as, ladies and gentlemen, the single greatest comedian to ever watch this show. And if you name your show, Everybody Loves Raymond. It kind of feels like you're setting yourself up for awkward failure. But his personality on the show kind of made that a joke in itself.
Speaker 1: Exactly.
Speaker 3: Because he was kind of a, not a curmudgeon, but he was kind of a whiner. A funny kind of whiner on the show.
Speaker 2: You nailed it. It's exactly why I would think Phil Rosenthal pulled the trigger on naming the show that, because everybody loves Raymond, and then you hear and see that.
Speaker 4: Guy, and you're like, yeah, no. Patricia Heaton deserves an award.
Speaker 2: But yeah, there's your little sample fact of Everybody Loves Raymond. He hated the title. That's so funny.
Speaker 3: By the way, somebody texted in earlier, what we're talking about is Netflix is rebooting A Different World, and they're basically just picking up where it left off, and we were kind of just Trying to figure out what shows you could do that with. Somebody said Married with Children, which you could do because Ed O'Neill is still with us. Katie Segal is still with us. Now, of course, the Christina Applegate thing would be weird, but I think that also could possibly be a storyline. She still acts. Yeah, Dave Faustino is still with us and stuff. So, I mean, they could actually do that program. and still kind of pick up. I don't know what they would do with it. I don't know how they'd write it. But I think that comedy would still play now. I think it went through a period where it would not play, and right now it would still play.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Because we're in the Pat McAfee world. So you can still kind of do that bro comedy, and it's still kind of, you know, it's not.
Speaker 2: Looked down on anymore.
Speaker 4: What about bringing back Taxi?
Speaker 2: Oh, man. That was such a good show. God almighty. That even jumped networks. It was so good. It wasn't getting the ratings, but someone recognized, oh, no, that's a really good show.
Speaker 3: You talk about some of the most unique characters on television. I would say also... Oh, Barney's. Barney Miller. Yeah, some other unbelievable characters. But, man, you're talking about spawning some big, big stars. Man, Taxi spawned some. You could look at all the shows and say, what show, post that show, had the most successful cast?
Speaker 2: And taxi ain't far, buddy.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, taxi, soap, bosom buddies.
Speaker 2: Andy Kaufman went on to be an icon, a comedy legend. Yeah, yeah, exactly. Danny DeVito, Christopher Lloyd, Judge Hirsch, Mary Lou Henner, Tony Danza, and then Kenickie, Jeff Conway. Yeah, yeah, dude. All of those guys went on to have massive careers after that. This conversation saddens me a little bit.
Speaker 7: Why's that?
Speaker 2: Because we don't do this anymore. What do you mean? We don't do this anymore. Like write shows like that? No, we do, but what we're doing right now... Talking about it? doesn't happen anymore because there's no... There's no more 80 channels. Yeah. So did you see that thing last night? No, that doesn't happen anymore. And it's weird that we have, we're so oversaturated with entertainment options and it's such a, I heard this term recently, bubble gum dystopia. I don't know what that means. Oh man, we're on its way. That's where, but it just, it, we are being, we're just being, Back in the day, it was so much more community and more of a conversation that we saw the same thing. You saw Seinfeld last night. You saw Friends last night. And just right now, I don't know if it's by design or just by money-making, capitalistic ways. That's what I'm leaning on.
Speaker 4: So bubblegum dystopia is a sci-fi concept where a corporate-ruled future is masked in bright, candy-colored, hyper-consumerist aesthetics.
Speaker 17: Yeah, bro.
Speaker 2: You mean now. I mean now. And if you want to go down a wormhole, bubblegum dystopia, and just seeing, hearing this makes me go like, God, you just don't know the good times when you're in them. People are texting Night Court. Now, they did bring that back. They did. Because he died, Harry Anderson. And also- I know I didn't. Did you mention Tony Danza? Yeah, Tony Danza. Oh, yeah, you mentioned him. You just mentioned him.
Speaker 3: Look, I'm sitting here thinking while Ross is talking. I mean, is there a cast more successful after the show ended than Taxi?
Speaker 2: I mean, look at Cheers.
Speaker 3: George Wendt had a little show that died. Cliff Clavin or John Ratzenberger did a little something, but it didn't go anywhere.
Speaker 2: Kelsey Grammer flew.
Speaker 7: I mean.
Speaker 2: David Hyde Pierce was also on that show, was he not? Well, he was on Frasier. He wasn't on Cheers. Yeah, but Frasier lasted just as long as Cheers did. I think they were both about eight seasons. Woody Harrelson from Cheers?
Speaker 4: I mean, think of the 70s and 80s show. That's the movie stars we have today is because we saw Robin Williams as Mark.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're right.
Speaker 4: You know, we if. And that was a spinoff, right? He was on Happy Days. And then he ended up getting work in Mindy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And then turned into a, I mean, you can't, you know.
Speaker 4: I knew watching Bosom Buddies with Tom Hanks.
Speaker 18: I knew.
Speaker 4: I said, even as a child, he's going to, we're going to see it. Just like I felt the way.
Speaker 6: Really?
Speaker 4: Even like John Travolta, when you saw him in Welcome Back, Cotter, just out of all the kids in that classroom, you just knew you were going to be seeing those three guys. I knew I'm like, yeah, they're going to end up being famous.
Speaker 3: Dude, by the way, I saw Bronson Pinchot just doing a video on Instagram the other day. My man looks amazing. Like, he looks like he could be a movie star right now.
Speaker 2: I don't know what. Was he in Soap?
Speaker 7: How? Who?
Speaker 2: Bronson Pinchot?
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Booze and Buddies. Oh, that's right. He was the other guy. No, it wasn't him.
Speaker 4: No, he was.
Speaker 2: Let me look it up. No, Bronson Pinchot was Serge in the Beverly Scott movie. But he was also part of a sitcom where I believe.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: Where they like cross-dressed or something, wasn't it? No, that's Booze and Buddies. But he was in another sitcom, dude. Yeah, he was in the sitcom.
Speaker 6: You're right.
Speaker 10: Peter Scolari.
Speaker 2: Peter Scolari. He was the guy in Bosom Buddies. What was Bronson Pinchot in?
Speaker 4: Bronson Pinchot. I want to say he was in the... People used to say I look like him. By the way, he improvised a lot of that scene in the furniture store when they met the first time.
Speaker 6: Oh, yeah?
Speaker 21: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: And Eddie Murphy could barely keep it together because he wasn't expecting that wild kind of accent.
Speaker 2: And, Deb, so you were just saying, like, you kind of could pick up on, like, a star, like, oh, this... You just knew. You just knew?
Speaker 4: Just from the way that they acted. He just, from Bosom Buddies... You never remembered Peter Scolari's name, but you always remember Tom Hanks.
Speaker 2: And I ask that question is because that's another thing that I just don't think happens anymore, where someone may look at somebody and go, oh, man, stardom on its way. Instead, it gets it got replaced with, oh, I like this one. I like this channel.
Speaker 7: By the way.
Speaker 2: Perfect Strangers is a TV show with Bronson Pinchot.
Speaker 4: I could see where you look a lot like him.
Speaker 2: Like, have you done that recently, Deb? Have you seen someone in the making that you were like in the last five years that you're like, oh, total. This is buckle up.
Speaker 4: The last time I saw that would have been Buffy. Because you had David Boreanaz, who came out of that, and then he ended up having his own spinoff series.
Speaker 8: Right, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: You had Seth Green. I remember Seth Green doing Kodak commercials. Do you guys remember the disposable cameras?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I remember.
Speaker 4: I remember seeing the commercial and going, that kid we're going to see somewhere else.
Speaker 3: So what's the show– if Taxi's one of those, what's the show that has the most success and then nobody did anything after it?
Speaker 2: I mean– First of all, I would say SNL, but I don't think that counts. No, it doesn't count because that's a rotating cast.
Speaker 3: Even with Married with Children, Katie Segal went on to have a massive career.
Speaker 2: Ed O'Neill did. Yeah, Ed O'Neill as well.
Speaker 4: I mean, none of the stars, I mean, outside of the Scream franchise, but that was filmed during.
Speaker 2: It took a while, but they finally all kind of took off. I mean, they've all been working steady.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I can't name any of their projects that they're working on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Schwimmer, I think he's the one who did the lease afterwards, right? Madagascar is not.
Speaker 4: Leased yeah matt leblanc he's not wrong jimmy jesus nobody else could be the giraffe thank you dude you.
Speaker 2: Don't understand i clearly said swimmer that's not what we're arguing i know that's the problem he was in band of brothers yeah at least the first one yeah yeah but uh there's a sequel i Come on, man. He's at the first one. We're begging. Okay, so Band of Brothers, by the way, the greatest cinema made about World War II, and it's a 10-episode series.
Speaker 4: I've heard that, yeah.
Speaker 2: Produced by Spielberg and Hanks, and it follows a Charlie company. It is absolutely amazing. Band of Brothers. Start to finish. Yeah, yeah, yeah. Then they came back, and they actually did one for the Pacific region. which is good, but the original was just the best because not only with each story, they actually interviewed the real guys at the end of each episode, and it was just over the top. Yeah, yeah, yeah. It was so great. Look, I'm going to say when it's kind of crazy because they didn't do anything on television after this, and I mean nothing, but nobody from the Dukes of Hazzard cast had a career after that. John Schneider had a little bit of a music career.
Speaker 3: But after that, nobody really– and the funny thing is the guy who played Boss Hogg, Sorrel Book, was a– I mean, he was a stage legend. Like, he was a– he's kind of a– he was a Shakespearean actor. So it was kind of weird to hear him playing that thing. But that's kind of what he did. But nobody on that show did anything. Catherine Bott basically became a pinup girl. Denver Pyle didn't really do anything after that. James Best, hello. James Best did nothing. He had an acting school here in Central Florida.
Speaker 2: He lived here. That's what he did. That's what he did. Yeah, yeah, yeah. That's his big accomplishment. What about Tom Wolpack?
Speaker 7: Nothing.
Speaker 2: They did nothing. That show burned hot for like four years, and they went nowhere after that. What do you know about Degrassi? Degrassi's pumped out some stars. That's Drake and that one girl, right? Yeah, yeah. That's wheelchair Drake. People don't know that. Let me tell everyone in Central Florida. Wheelchair Drizzy? Dude, Drake's climb up of stardom had him in a Canadian pop sitcom, which featured him getting shot. and being put in a wheelchair. Wow, really? Never forget that that's part of Drake's background story. Weezy had New Orleans, all right, and Louisiana and Holly Grove. Weezy was on the streets at 12, dude. Drake was filming television. Weezy was being raised by a gang member when he was like 13, dude. While Drake is over here practicing his lines. And I got to tell you, he was really good on the show. Dating Lance Morissette.
Speaker 6: Yeah. All right, 407-916-1041.
Speaker 2: Text us, 77031. Load them up. It's time for trivia. We'll do that next.
Speaker 6: Hey, guys.
Speaker 2: I hope you guys are doing well. So if you talk about a show that had a cast do the most, you're talking about The Wire.
Speaker 7: Look at the cast of The Wire, and all of them became major movie stars and TV stars.
Speaker 21: Thanks.
Speaker 7: Bye.
Speaker 2: Ross, right there with you. Grew up on Degrassi.
Speaker 21: I can't listen to the Drake song without going, last name walking, first name never.
Speaker 6: Yes.
Speaker 10: Yes.
Speaker 2: All right, welcome back to the Jim Colbert Show. We're already at 104.1. I am Jim. There's Deb.
Speaker 11: Hello.
Speaker 2: Jack.
Speaker 12: Yo.
Speaker 2: Ross is here. Believe in yourself. Jack has the Jackie sack. What's in there, big dog? All aboard.
Speaker 22: Chugga-chugga.
Speaker 2: Choo-choo. Clickety-clack. Clickety-clack. We have a pair of tickets to watch Orlando City FC take on San Diego FC. at Interdot Coast Stadium. September 5th will be that match. Also in the Jackie's Act, a pair of tickets to the NASCAR O'Reilly Auto Parts Series Winn-Dixie 250 at Daytona International Speedway. That happens this Friday night, August 28th. Those are the choices of prizes in today's Jackie's Act.
Speaker 4: So back to you.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Debra. One, two, three, four, or five?
Speaker 4: Let's go two.
Speaker 2: Two sounds good. Hey, Becky, how you doing?
Speaker 21: I'm doing good.
Speaker 17: How are you?
Speaker 2: Doing great. Want to play a little game with us?
Speaker 17: I do.
Speaker 2: Oh, let's do it. Game show.
Speaker 3: All right, Becky, this is a real easy game. Got a question here for you. Four answers. One of these answers is incorrect. It's a lie.
Speaker 6: What?
Speaker 2: Trying to fool you. Damn it. But if you can find it, I'll send you over to see Jack and you pick out something nice for yourself. Are you ready? I'm ready. All right, here we go. On this day in 1970, Academy-nominated actress and producer, known for her comedic movies, usually plays overboard characters.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what's her name?
Speaker 2: She is... Melissa McCarthy. She was a crazy bridesmaid. She'll steal your identity. Melissa McCarthy was born on this day.
Speaker 6: All right, Ross.
Speaker 2: All right, not sexist. Here are three fun facts about Melissa and one puppy-stealing lie.
Speaker 4: Oh, but they're so cute.
Speaker 2: All right. Are you ready? We're talking about Melissa McCarthy. Becky, are you ready?
Speaker 7: I'm ready.
Speaker 2: Here we go.
Speaker 3: Number one, her first improv teacher was Billie Eilish's mom. Number two, she was raised on a soybean and corn farm. Number three, she never planned to be in entertainment. She went to Southern Illinois University to study ecology. Or lastly, she was a goth in high school. Which of those is a lie?
Speaker 8: Number two.
Speaker 3: No, that's absolutely true. She was raised in Plainsfield, Illinois, on a soybean and corn farm. Exactly what you expect.
Speaker 7: You do.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. One, three, four, or five.
Speaker 4: We're going all the way back to five.
Speaker 2: Let's go to five. That's Adam. Adam, how you doing, buddy? Adam, how you doing, buddy?
Speaker 6: Good.
Speaker 7: Good, good.
Speaker 2: I was on mute. That's okay, buddy. No worry.
Speaker 3: We're talking about Melissa McCarthy here. Which one of these is not true? Number one, her first improv teacher was Billie Eilish's mom. Number two, she never planned to be in entertainment. She attended Southern Illinois University to study ecology. Or lastly, she was a goth in high school.
Speaker 19: Let's go with the last one.
Speaker 2: No, that's absolutely true.
Speaker 4: I knew I loved her.
Speaker 2: She went through a period where she was a goth in high school. So cool. Like purple hair, boots, everything black. Oh, yeah, absolutely. Black lipstick, all nine yards.
Speaker 4: The real Doc Martens.
Speaker 2: All right, one, three, or four, Deb?
Speaker 4: Let's go one.
Speaker 2: One sounds good. That is Gary. Gary, how are you? Hey, how are you guys doing?
Speaker 4: Just real quick, old school, two guys, girl in a pizza planet or pizza place.
Speaker 19: Nathan Fillion and Ryan Reynolds starred.
Speaker 2: That's what started those two. Yeah, right on. Very good.
Speaker 3: All right, talking about Melissa McCarthy here. You got a 50-50 shot. Which one of these is not true? Number one, her first improv teacher happened to be Billie Eilish's mom. Or lastly, she never planned to be in entertainment. She attended Southern Illinois University to study ecology.
Speaker 19: I'm going for the ecology.
Speaker 3: And you're going to the prize because you're the winner! Any idea what she actually did go to school for at Southern Illinois?
Speaker 2: I do not.
Speaker 3: All right, textiles and fashion. And as a matter of fact, if you see Melissa McCarthy on a red carpet, chances are she made the dress she's wearing.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's cool. Yeah, very cool. You're on hold there, buddy. Congratulations, Gary. You are a winner. Yeah, her first impromptu teacher was Billie Eilish's mom.
Speaker 4: That's incredible.
Speaker 3: I didn't even know her mom did that. I know that entire family is very artistic because her brother is a genius as well. As a matter of fact, writing a lot of the music and co-writing some of those big hits of hers.
Speaker 7: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: I didn't know the mom was into that at all. I want to say the dad is also into performing or somewhere in entertainment.
Speaker 3: A couple other things you may not know about. Geez, let me try that on a regular speed. A couple things you may not know about Melissa McCarthy before we get to the top of the hour. We've got a raw sauce coming up, which includes... a Halloween Horror Nights review.
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah. She was in the Groundlings for how long? Two years.
Speaker 4: Three years.
Speaker 2: Four years. Ten years. Just short of that, actually. Really? Yeah, ten years. Nine years into months. Wow.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: That's awesome. That is. You know, I thought you were going to say three weeks as the real answer afterwards. She set up shop, yes. She put in her work. She did not actually plan on being in entertainment. She really went to school to be a designer. She wanted to be in fashion. One of her best friends was a guy who designed shoes and stuff. She became enamored with it and kind of off to the races there. She's the first cousin of model and actress Jenny McCarthy. Okay. The blonde that was married to Jim Carrey. Really? Yeah, yeah. They're related. That's her first cousin. God almighty. We just caused a car accident. And then lastly here, her all-time favorite movie is this. I got to tell you.
Speaker 3: This is a movie that maybe, you know, we did this thing last week where if you're going to show a movie to somebody who had never seen a movie, just to prove to them how badass movies are, this movie never gets mentioned in that comedy drama world. And it is absolutely brilliant. One of the best movies out there dialogue-wise, everything about it. And it's our favorite movie. It's Planes, Trains, and Automobiles.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we never talk about that in the great scheme of movies. But man, that thing holds up generation after generation. And on the short list of Thanksgiving movies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, 100%, man. Great pick.
Speaker 3: As a matter of fact, did you remember that Steve Martin said that John Candy was so convincing as that character when he does that last speech where he explains that he doesn't have a family, that everything is a scam, he's just basically homeless and he wanders around doing this stuff, that it was so believable that Steve Martin had to call cut on the first shot because he broke down crying and how convincing john candy was explaining to him what his life really was like you know steve martin was so into it it like affected him emotionally like incredible uh ross thoughts yes halloween horror nights i just did it all 10 new houses now listen if you've never gone don't worry i will still make this segment entertaining for you And if you have gone, boy, sit down and turn up the volume, because I've got nothing but good news about this year's Halloween Horror Nights. It's the 35th time they've done it, so I figured they got good at it, and they got great at it.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you much, much more. My top 10 ranking of houses after the break. Good, and we'll be broadcasting live from there next Friday, which is awesome. Yeah, we will be.
Speaker 7: That's right.
Speaker 2: Ross Lawson's up next.
Speaker 11: What up, guys?
Speaker 2: Sport from Duval. Duval. I don't know why Everybody Loves Raymond was so funny. I think it was written very well, but it was just so normal. Like, it was just comedy you would have in your house with your family every day. It was so good.
Speaker 21: A show that produced a lot of people, like a lot of stars, In Living Color, man.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah.
Speaker 16: You got Jim Carrey and Tommy Davidson and David Allen Greer, Jennifer.
Speaker 2: Lopez, Jamie Foxx came from In Living.
Speaker 10: Color, man.
Speaker 2: That's pretty strong now.
Speaker 7: Later.
Speaker 2: J-Lo was on that show for a while. He was a backup dancer, right? Yeah, yeah, yeah. Which Wayans is that again? I can't remember. It was all of them, Jim. Yeah, I know what that means. Keenan was the oldest brother. Yeah, yeah, yeah. Yeah, because that whole family, there's like a bunch of them. It's like Melinda's. There's a whole bunch of those. All right, welcome back to the Jim Corpore Show. We're already at 104.1. I'm Jim. Deb and Jack are here as well. And Ross has some thoughts. Let's get them. It's weird. Yeah, I've got thoughts. It's funny. What are you going to do about it?
Speaker 1: Sometimes.
Speaker 2: Check this out. It's Ross. My first thought. Spelled like sauce. It's actually advice. It's Ross Thoughts. Because my first thought is, if you're trying to become a better adult and you don't know anything about your mortgage, well, do I have a guy. ThatMortgageGuyDon.com. He knows everything that you need to know about refi.com. Anything you need to know when it comes to your mortgage, be proactive. Be on top of that because that can help out your monthly payment. Trust me, a lot. Yeah.
Speaker 9: All right.
Speaker 2: It's literally saved my life and it's the reason why I can tip 30% every now and then because I refied. Do not miss out on that opportunity. If you're not on top of it, thatmortgageguydon.com. Please, it will change your life. Now, throwing this out here. I am very privy to some really cool things as I've pursued entertainment throughout the last 18 years of my life.
Speaker 11: Right.
Speaker 2: And one of the coolest things I'll tell everyone is that when I first moved up to Orlando, my brother was working at Universal. I got hired at Universal. And the first thing that I it was right around the time it was time for the employee preview. And the employee preview is basically one of the coolest things that happens in Central Florida that a lot of Central Floridians don't ever get to go to. Because it's the dress rehearsal for the world-renowned event that Universal holds, Halloween Horror Night. Yeah, that was nice. I'm doing that with my hand. And it is as good as you think. If you're a fan of that event, it's a little bit discounted on the drinks. It's a little bit way less populated. So, like, the longest wait time I had for any house, I think, was like 15 minutes. Oh, that's a dream. No one likes this flex.
Speaker 17: Okay.
Speaker 2: Well, the flex is also just letting everybody know that it is such a special night for theme park employees. I would argue the most special night. for theme park employees on the planet, because there's not many times that all the employees get to be off and then be in the theme park, hanging out and talking and reminiscing. It is such a beautiful time with that said, why got to do all the haunted houses and boy this year, I think is my favorite. Can I ask you a question before we move forward with the review? Yeah.
Speaker 3: This is just a little like a behind the scenes kind of thing. Is it a major no-no as an employee is if you're going through one of the houses and you recognize an employee, you know, in character to not say anything or say, is that a, that's a major no-no, right?
Speaker 2: It is a fantastic question. And I don't know if it's a no-no. All I know for me personally, it's a yes, yes. And it is awesome. Yeah, yeah. And it does happen. That's awesome. And the more people you know, the more likely you're going to know this character. You're trying to bust them up a little bit? I never try to bust them up, but they always try to bust me up a little bit. So it's really, really fun. But yes, to answer your question. Now, with that said, I've got to tell you, and I'm not getting paid to say this. I think this year's Halloween Horror Nights is A +. Really? Bonafide one of the best years. Everyone knows in that community that every five years or every ten years on whatever the centennial version of 35 is, they kind of go a little bit harder. This 35th year of doing this event, which, by the way, 35th year of doing this event. That's insane. Now that's culture.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: They knocked it out of the park. Now, let's get to these houses. I've got number 10, Jim. We're going to start it off, but friendly reminder, all of these houses were amazing. Number 10, I've got Caged Cannibals. Okay. Madeline's Caged Cannibals. All right. It is set in this post-apocalyptic zoo, right? But all of the zoo animals are gone.
Speaker 17: Uh-oh.
Speaker 2: The cannibals have taken the cages.
Speaker 4: All right, all right.
Speaker 10: Right?
Speaker 2: And to me, it's my 10th, and it's just my cup of oolong. Cannibals don't scare me. Okay. Because I'm like, dude, we live in the States. Yeah, yeah, yeah. We live in Florida, dog. We had people eating people in this state. I could throw a rock over at I-Drive.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: We had a guy just trying to chill in his garage. I just don't. You got eight. Go to Tijuana Flats. Like, I don't understand. Cannibals never scared me.
Speaker 6: Yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: I just feel like if you can be defeated by a... McGriddle, you don't scare me. Number nine, Stranger Things. That might be my hottest take. This is probably one of the bigger budgeted houses of the year. It's the last season of Stranger Things as well. I only saw the first season. If you love the show, you're probably going to love the house, but for me... I only liked the show. So number nine, Stranger Things. Number eight, Jim, Cyber Gorya. Cyber Gorya. Cyber Gorya. It's all in the name. What I like about this is that it's very sci-fi, and it's trying to give everybody eternal life. Like alien vibes kind of thing? Yeah, kind of like alien vibes, but with robots and with beauty.
Speaker 16: Okay.
Speaker 2: It's like plastic surgery to live as long as possible, or you kind of get frozen. It's the horror of vanity? Yes, yes.
Speaker 10: Ooh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah. So if you want to see billionaires freeze and not make it, that's the house for you. Number seven, the Evil Dead Burn House. Okay. This is the first... Is this where you go to smoke weed? No, nope, nope. Nope, it is not.
Speaker 7: Okay.
Speaker 2: Evil Dead Burn, if this is off the franchise, the movie Evil Dead. I love this house, but it's a top ten. It smelled so good. It smelled like the house was on fire. Oh, really? As you're walking through this demon-possessed... Dude, I love it when they do that. I love when they put in the smell.
Speaker 3: Like the baby one that time we walk in and it smells like a diaper genie.
Speaker 2: Yes, I remember that one. It was the greatest. And then you'd go ahead and be like, how old am I? Am I 32 again? Number six. Now, this is where it's a coin flip from here on out outside of the top two.
Speaker 3: So in other words, you're saying you could really shift it back and forth. You theoretically could put five at one.
Speaker 2: I couldn't put five to one, but I could put five to six, and I could put four to five. These next three, we're splitting hairs. One and two, you're definitive.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: Number six, Ozzy Osbourne. I need to tell the real radio listeners one thing that they need to do if you are an Ozzy Osbourne fan. It's this haunted house. You may be asking why. It's because you get to go on the crazy train. Oh, that's awesome. And by the way, somebody just tuned out and said that because they didn't want any spoilers. There's no spoilers.
Speaker 3: He's just telling you which ones are the best. By the way, that's the second vote. We had a guy just text in and say that he thought the Aussie house.
Speaker 2: Was the best one. Yeah, I'm also going off of literally this. Everything that I'm saying right now has already been released on the Internet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, go ahead. Number five, extraterrestrial getting abducted and not in like a butt way, but like in a fun way. Who said the bad way can't be the fun way? Well, my sobriety.
Speaker 4: Easy, Jack.
Speaker 2: You didn't need to second that, dude. God damn. Jack came in with a hell yeah. I love aliens. I love abductions. I love that as a horror movie, War of the Worlds, that genre. Agreed. It is that house.
Speaker 7: Agreed.
Speaker 2: I like that. And you get to go into that alien. It's so much fun. Number four, I've got for sinners. So it's not just vampires. It's also racism is the villain. And Sinners is such a good house, though. It's so good. I only said the racist thing because it's a huge through line through the movie. Not really in the house. But if you love the brothers, if you love the twins, you got to see him at Halloween Horror Nights. It is so awesome to see. Number three, the in-house. This is such a celebration for the fans of this event. Jack and Odd Fellows.
Speaker 6: Oh, yeah.
Speaker 2: That chaos and control house is such a celebration for maybe Orlando. best event right yeah it's so cool uh man was jack the very first kind of um a character that they like hey it's jack's house kind of thing that's the first one they weren't when they themed it to one character because they had the old lady in the rocking chair they've had So that was one year, but Jack was the first and the biggest and the best and he's the worst and the scariest.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 2: Thank you. Number two, and this is the whole reason why I am doing this segment because I want as many people. Number two is my favorite house. I think number one is a better house, but subjectively speaking, number two is my favorite house.
Speaker 10: H.R.
Speaker 2: Blood and Guts is an absolute must at this year's Halloween Horror Nights. Very nice.
Speaker 9: H.R.
Speaker 2: Blood and Guts. It's an O.G.I.P.
Speaker 17: H.R.
Speaker 2: Puffin stuff?
Speaker 20: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, no. They created this character in-house. It is flawless. It is perfect. And to be honest with you, it feels like I made it because it's exactly how I think entertainment should be. Don't make me think too much so I can enjoy a whole lot more. And you get the concept immediately. You understand everything that's happening. So throughout the entire house, you're either laughing or getting scared. But at the end of that house, if you aren't entertained, you're missing a sense. You have an affliction. Because it was so much fun. It's the only house I did twice.
Speaker 3: HR Blood and Guts is like a cross between Dracula and the Phantom of the Opera kind of thing?
Speaker 2: Yes, but the story is that he was a failed actor. And then he takes over a TV station. And then he has his television spectacular. I like it. And then you go through all the different shows. Number one, if you just listen closely in process of elimination, and this could be its own topic, is I've never seen a single frame of this franchise. It is the scariest house I've ever walked through at Halloween Horror Nights.
Speaker 6: Really?
Speaker 2: It is the bloodiest house I've ever walked through at Halloween Horror Nights. It's probably also the longest house I have ever walked through at Halloween Horror Nights. It's an IP Hellraiser. Oh, man. Hellraiser, dude? Hellraiser's on it. I felt like I went to hell.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: And then I came back and it was so effective of a haunted house. I didn't want to almost do it again. Like the pinhead character, right? The pinhead, it scared me. It made me... Yeah, yeah, yeah. Isn't it kind of one of those almost sadomasochism thing?
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: Like you're celebrating pain kind of thing? I did not know that. I haven't seen a... I want to watch the movies now. Oh, yeah. But that house... kind of scarred me a little bit. Really? It was some powerful imagery in that haunted house. It was horrifying. It was disturbing. It was great. It was awesome. It's my number one house. All right, very good. And because of those reasons, because I've never seen a theme park go so hard. And I think I won't be alone in the two cents in thinking that at the end of this year's run.
Speaker 3: Hey, did they kind of make a statement at the beginning of this year or whatever that they were going to do that? Like it was going to be a little bit more kind of out.
Speaker 2: There than it was years before? I mean, I never heard anybody say that. All I know is Hellraiser is saying that at this year's Halloween Horror Night. Celebrate. It's right around the corner. I know the season starts. We don't get brown leaves here in Central Florida, but what we do get is badass events at these multi-bajillion dollar facilities that only exist, once again, friendly reminder, to entertain us. That's absolutely right, man. And those are your Ross thoughts. I'm out. Peace. Go see Blood and Guts. Great job.
Speaker 3: I think people are probably out there making notes because, I mean, you only have so much time to get in some of these houses, so you definitely want to not waste your time on ones that you don't think are great.
Speaker 2: I mean, you've been doing this for years. I have been. So I think that's very valuable to the customers. Top three houses, Oddfellow and Jack, number two, HR, Blood and Guts, number one, Hellraiser. That's my top three houses of this year's Halloween Horror Nights. All right. Very good, buddy. Back in a sec with more of the Jim Colbert Show. Hello, everyone.
Speaker 13: Simply Jeremy here. So I've been a real radio listener since Ed Till and Aaron Summer's days.
Speaker 2: There you go.
Speaker 13: And for the longest time, every time I would hear Mr.
Speaker 2: Phillips talk, I always pictured.
Speaker 13: Bryan Cranston in his underwear and Josh Pinkman dressed as Jesse Pinkman. And that was the mental picture I always had of them back before we had YouTube and the Internet to be able to see what everybody looked like.
Speaker 20: Raymond Dodd, writer.
Speaker 6: Later. Hello.
Speaker 2: Can't believe you missed this comedy duo, Cheech and Chong.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 17: Yes, they're mostly known for their movies and their albums, but they do perform on stage, and a lot of those sketches that were on stage made it into their movies and albums.
Speaker 10: Smoke up!
Speaker 3: All right, welcome back to the Jim Colbert Show, Real Radio 104.1. Man, if you're out there on the roads, be careful.
Speaker 9: Whoa.
Speaker 2: If you're in the Central Florida area, anywhere in the Central Florida area, whether it be Winter Park, Oviedo, Maitland, Altamont.
Speaker 4: Tavares, Eustis.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Windermere, it is nasty out there. Be careful. Slow down.
Speaker 4: It's literally the entire length of I-4 from Daytona Beach all the way down to Arcadia.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It's a big old storm. It is like midnight out there right now.
Speaker 4: And it's not moving.
Speaker 8: All right.
Speaker 2: Welcome back.
Speaker 7: I'm Jim.
Speaker 2: There's Deb. Hello.
Speaker 21: Jack.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And Ross. It's all true.
Speaker 3: So malls, we know, are having a very difficult time, right? There's only a couple of those really making it. All the other malls are being transitioned into something else.
Speaker 2: I'm surprised it's happening in Florida. What a tip to serve. So we know that Altamont Mall is one of the viable malls in Central Florida. for a while i think the theater actually helps that out a little bit they do it's not adjacent but it does bring it brings the the boys into the yard yeah yeah thank you jack i appreciate that thank you thank you kesha no that's not kesha is it no no that's uh kellis kellis yeah yeah you have a mall of millennia what about the florida mall florida mall still out there that's all that's that's banging that's you got about three Yeah, you have Florida Mall. You have Millennium Mall. You have Altamont Mall. And that's it. Fashion Square is dead. West Oaks is dead. Oviedo is dead.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're transitioning into whatever's next. So are they then mall? So malls are always looking for a way. How did you get Kellis?
Speaker 2: God, that is impressive. Couldn't tell me your phone number right now, but you just nailed the milkshake song, lady. Just read my tat, dude. Just read my tat. That's where my form is. It's a cover-up.
Speaker 6: Of.
Speaker 2: It doesn't end.
Speaker 4: No, it doesn't.
Speaker 2: It's impressive. I couldn't remember the artist you said first. That's what I was going to say. I was covering up.
Speaker 5: See what I'm talking about? How did you pull Kellis out of that? I just remember the song.
Speaker 2: I don't know why. I went through a Kellis moment in my life. What can I say?
Speaker 3: So what other– malls are looking for ways to make revenue. Of course, if you're having a hard time getting people to come to your store, that's going to be a problem, right? But they're figuring out other ways to do this. Now, it's not sitting well with people who– who are doing this, not really sitting well. How do you think they're doing it? Now, let me find out where this is.
Speaker 10: Strip clubs.
Speaker 2: Not strip clubs. That's a good idea. This is happening in Wayne, New Jersey.
Speaker 18: Oh, boy.
Speaker 2: Where's Wayne, New Jersey, Jack? Is that Bradshaw adjacent? It's a little south, but New Jersey is like the mall capital of the world. Yeah, yeah, yeah. Data centers. Not data centers. Oh, good guess. Wait, why aren't we doing that? I don't want to help out the bad guys. Nobody will know it's there. That's not it. Deb, what do you think they're doing?
Speaker 3: What do you think malls are doing trying to make more revenue that would really piss people off?
Speaker 2: By the way, it has nothing to do with the building. Ice detention centers. That's super funny.
Speaker 4: Homeless shelters or drug treatment centers.
Speaker 2: Got another. Those are all great ideas. Somebody should be listening and writing this down. We'll send them the podcast. They're trying to charge for parking.
Speaker 17: What?
Speaker 2: The mall. Okay. On the surface, it's single-handedly the dumbest idea I've heard in five years. So what they're doing in this mall is they're taking all the spots that are closest to the stores, and they're basically kind of roping those off. It turned out to be about a hundred. 120 parking spots around the mall and they're charging you. Let me see the time.
Speaker 3: How much do you think they're charging you? It's this number for the first hour and then this number for every hour after that. And the cap is this. It should be negative three bucks.
Speaker 2: They should pay you for parking there? Yeah, because I'm going to the mall. Five bucks with a cap at 25. Ooh. God dang, dude, that's a lot.
Speaker 4: I'm going to say it starts at $ 3. 50 with a cap at $ 5.
Speaker 2: What do you think? I'll go $ 3. 10. So it's a QR code that has a little sign in front of it. People love those. Yeah. And boy, do they trust them.
Speaker 3: And when you scan this QR, it gives you a five-digit number, and it's $ 2. 45 for the first hour, $ 2 for every hour after that, and the cap is about $ 10.
Speaker 1: 50 a day.
Speaker 3: And by the way, this apparently has legs because similar arrangements have rolled out in Louisville, in Bakersfield, California, in Arizona. L.A., in Columbia, Maryland, and in a Chicago mall as well. It says, all in all, 23 malls out of over 95 GGP properties, that's the mall owning group, I guess, are doing the preferred parking across the country. It's intended for those who want the convenience not to look for a spot. Why does this anger me?
Speaker 2: Cheryl says she sends a text to the outlet mall in Lake Buena Vista where the Dolly Parton dinner show used to be. Yeah, yeah. Already charges for parking.
Speaker 11: Oh, really?
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Like Dixie Stampede was there, right?
Speaker 21: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look, here's the thing. I'll give you an example of how this can kind of work maybe. I don't know. Look at the weather we're having right now. I don't know about you guys, but when I'm in Florida in the afternoons in the summer, you have to kind of figure out what's going to happen after you're done with work. Because today we're going to have to step out there in a damn monsoon to get out of here tonight. So I can see getting that preferential parking right up front to avoid any weather issues. Maybe it's snow. Most of these are in areas where there's snow, except for the one in California. Yeah, I don't know why this makes me so angry. It shouldn't make you angry. It's kind of dumb. I get it, but the thing is, they're doing it. That just says the Florida Mall already does it. Oh, really?
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 4: All the more reason to wait a moment.
Speaker 2: It says.
Speaker 4: Sorry.
Speaker 2: She's allergic to bad ideas. Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 1: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Let me play that fart noise again. That was a weird commercial. I was just listening to this show, and look, man, there's a lot of stuff happening over there. It's hard to get the right buttons. We're sitting here, Deb and I, and Deb and I, our ears are like, we're like bloodhounds. And we hear this fart come over, and we immediately look at each other. Because I didn't do it. We think that's in-house. Right. We just hear that going on. I'm like, are we selling turds? Do we have a new client that's selling turds? Is that what we're doing?
Speaker 4: Jump on the talkback.
Speaker 17: Out on the air. Out on the air.
Speaker 2: I think it angers me just because. Audacity. Yeah, I think that's why I'm just like, as soon as I think that you can't stoop so low, you found another opportunity to squeeze out a couple of bucks from us.
Speaker 4: This is no different than turning the screen around at anywhere, right? You didn't do anything and ask how much you want. I want a tip.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 3: It says, look, here it says, obviously, this is getting just completely blasted online. It says in today's economy, when you talk about people being pushed and tipped over the edge for everything right now, it's yet another level of capitalism. People want to grow their business, but there should be a line somewhere in the sand. Now, look, you don't have to use these spots.
Speaker 2: There are plenty. Like they say in this, like there's 7,000 spots in all these malls that are completely free. That's not the problem, Jim. They can't use those spots. Yeah, you're right. They cannot. Not the way that they used to. I don't know how I could convince the uber wealthy people that first comes first. is okay. I guess, I don't know. So Texter says Florida Mall does not charge for parking. They do charge for valet parking and so does Mall of Millennia. And the reason why is that mall has like a night, not a nightclub, but like it used to have Blue Martini in there and it also has.
Speaker 4: No, it has called Neiman Marcus and those bitches don't want to walk.
Speaker 2: They have a couple of nice restaurants in there, I believe, as well.
Speaker 4: I haven't been there. I mean, I've been to the mall, but now Blue Martini's moved out. Yeah, it's moved out because they used to be Tiger Stomp. You see all the Aston Martins, the Maserati, the Lamborghini.
Speaker 2: The Ferrari. That was the hunting grounds for Mr. Woods for a while over there. Well, dude, Blue Martini, when one night you could have a booth with... Tiger Woods, Michael Jordan, and Derek Jeter all at the same table. And then across the way, it would be Ken Griffey Jr., Dee Brown, and Dennis Scott or Shaq or whatever.
Speaker 4: Don't give Tiger too much credit. He liked a good Perkins waitress every once in a while, too.
Speaker 2: And now you go there and it's just like a drunk Chuck E. Cheese and the polar bear from Icy. What happened to this place, man? We used to have boy bands. It's Chuck E. Cheese and King Henry with a turkey leg in costume. And the one dude from Cirque du Soleil, the weird walking guy. Appliance direct and fun spots over at that table. The dude with the eye patch and the chick with the cast. They're all chilling. What a cast of characters we have here in Orlando. This drink costs too much. This food, it's huge. What was the other one? The other characters we had in town. What's the used car guy from over on the coast? The big dude. Family Automart. Family Automart. I got to tell you, if you want, if you people are just coming to town and you didn't get to experience. The local advertising and local production that was the family Auto Mart commercials. Remember Cletus?
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 2: They had characters. Oh, my God, dude. It was crazy. My first house was right down the block from their lot. We actually had them at one of our sporting clays tournament.
Speaker 17: Oh, really?
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And you remember the, it's so funny. They were an advertiser. They became so popular. They started doing endorsements for other companies.
Speaker 6: Yes.
Speaker 2: Do you remember which one?
Speaker 21: No.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Didn't the guy, high tide Harry's. Oh yeah. Didn't the guy from family auto Mart also endorse high tide Harry's. I remember that being a drop. I don't remember him to actually doing the commercial. And you know who the OG is though, right? The OG of all those people is. Artie Grindle, I want to sell you a van. Artie Grindle.
Speaker 4: Who tried to run his wife over in one of his vans.
Speaker 2: Did he really?
Speaker 4: Yeah, don't you remember? That's when I was like legal trouble.
Speaker 2: I did not remember that. Yeah, you really started this thing off positive. This guy's whole gig was, he was so aggro. He goes, I'm Artie Grindle and I want to sell you a car. He would jump up on his cars and kick in the windshields. You guys remember that?
Speaker 18: Oh, yeah.
Speaker 2: He'd jump up and.
Speaker 3: Down like a maniac on the hood of a car. Man, that's what we're missing now. There's no more great local commercials anymore. I don't want to body shame, but I'm about to a little bit. But there's a new car salesman. He'll pop up as a YouTube ad every now and then. But every time I see him, I'm just like, he's got a 50-50 body.
Speaker 2: He's 50% upper torso, 50% bottom torso.
Speaker 8: Okay.
Speaker 2: So it kind of just looks like a... Big torso with feet?
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Like a Humpty Dumpty? He just looks like he's half leg, half arm.
Speaker 23: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Who is it? I forgot his name, but once you see him, it's very Slender Man. And he just looks Gumby-esque. God, do you remember the guy... It's so funny that.
Speaker 3: You could probably find these on YouTube, but they did these two characters, and they were like these hillbilly characters. They had those fake hillbilly teeth. And they did this song, Fixin' to Learn Ya.
Speaker 2: You remember that? I'm fixing to learn you. I'm fixing to learn you. About the deal on a car or whatever. That is a lost art, man. That local, cheesy, campy commercial.
Speaker 4: The only ones are the Appliance Direct.
Speaker 2: They don't even do that anymore. Oh, they do. Yeah, I think they do. I got them on YouTube. YouTube ad. Family Auto Mart, we had them do an ID for us. Oh, did they really? Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but he doesn't say, you pay too much. And the woman with the knee brace is gone.
Speaker 2: Terry, I think was her name.
Speaker 1: Terry.
Speaker 2: But there's one on the coast, and I think that's one of the only ones left. Somebody said there is one over here. Yeah, somebody said that there was one out by us, but there's not. I looked everywhere, and there's no— I mean, there was even no listing for it. Last time I went, it was where the Tibby's Plaza is on 436. Oh, over in Atlanta. Yeah, it used to be there was a giant yellow warehouse a little further east, but then they kind of shrunk out of that and went to a storefront by Tibby's.
Speaker 3: They're the last of that breed, right? You pay too much, guys. That's the last of the local ad breed.
Speaker 4: That's all I can think of.
Speaker 2: Maybe the Fun Spot guys, but they're just local businessmen. They didn't try to do anything. They didn't have a campy hook like the eye patch or the cast or anything like that. I thought those were real injuries. No, get out of here. You're going to tell me that guy was faking an eye injury? Dude.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 2: Are you serious, dude? This is an episode that's been filled with me getting epiphany after epiphany.
Speaker 3: You're telling me that chick wore that cast for like six years? That's the worst break of all time. That cast was a thing, dude. It's like a Silence of the Lambs thing.
Speaker 2: They want you to get in the van so they can put you in the well and then sell you stuff. I thought that was just like an ace bandage.
Speaker 7: No, dude.
Speaker 2: That she was committed to. No, I'm telling you, man. Yeah, somebody just said David Moss. David Moss, well, he was a character. I knew David well, but he wasn't a character. What about Tires Ain't Pretty?
Speaker 6: Oh, that's it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Tires Ain't Pretty.
Speaker 6: Sam?
Speaker 2: Sam Bear? Sam Bear. Sam Bear.
Speaker 4: Where you throw the tire through the window? Or the old lady, they still would play that commercial with the old lady walking up with the tire and throw it through the window, if I'm remembering that correctly.
Speaker 3: And that business was one of the oldest in Orlando for the longest time. That shoe store was around for like 80 years. You had the Mattress Barn guy. Remember Mattress Barn? He was always doing commercials over in Brevard. I know he had season tickets to the Magic.
Speaker 6: Oh, did he really?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: God, man, we need to do that. We need to bring that back, man. We need to get some business out. Do something dumb so we can kind of watch and have some fun with it. I bet they made a bunch of money with that stuff.
Speaker 7: Too, man.
Speaker 2: I know they still go viral every now and then, but the virality is now fake. It used to get a lot of views because can you believe how crazy this is? guy is? But now it's... It seems... He's doing it for the likes and views. Yeah, yeah, yeah. And back in the day, you're just doing it for attention. Just anything... Which is the same thing. I mean, likes and views and attention. Is Family Artemark... Is it still around? We know Appliance Direct is still around. We know that Sam Baer is, I think, gone. I don't think the shoe store is there anymore, but I don't know if that's still around. That guy was not blind in one eye. I don't think so, buddy. I think the eye patch was a gimmick. Look it up. That's such a hot take. Why is that a hot take? Because you don't... Don't you find it odd that they both had injuries?
Speaker 3: Don't you find that in the least bit odd? What are the chances of two people having injuries that last lifetimes? It was for attention, man.
Speaker 2: Well, no, I just think it's somewhat of a hot take to look at anybody with an eye patch and go faking it.
Speaker 7: His name....
Speaker 2: His name is Sam Pak, right? Sam P-A-K... Eye patch. Sand pack? Yeah, real. Oh, come on, Jack. Stop it. No, it was sand pack. Yeah, sand pack. Was it not pockets pack? Oh, okay. Maybe it is pockets. I always thought it was pack. Okay. The eye patch was legit. I will give you 100 of my finest dollars if within two guesses you can guess what happened to his eye and why he wears the eye patch. Lawn dart. No, that's one guess. Dishwasher accident.
Speaker 6: No.
Speaker 4: Somebody farted in his pillow.
Speaker 2: Oh, good one, Deb. Thanks. He doesn't wear it anymore, though, because he had a cornea transplant and it's all good now. Pool cue. It's a sport. Oh, okay.
Speaker 3: He took a racquetball to the eye at 20 years old, and it dislodged his cornea, but he didn't want to have the surgery, so he wore the eye patch for a while.
Speaker 2: But he's 54 years old now. He's had a cornea transplant, and everything's fine. That was awesome. You want to look up arthritis in that Terry's knee?
Speaker 3: Now I have to find out if Terry's dead. All right, 407-916-1041, text us, 77031. Deb, got some news for us?
Speaker 4: A man and a woman are accused of burglarizing the home of a couple killed in a crash. Special place in hell for folks like that. A verdict is in for the murder of a Microsoft executive, and a country music superstar announces an Orlando Arena stop. We'll talk about that next during You Heard It Here First.
Speaker 2: You got it. We'll come back and get Deb's news and get the hell out of here on a Wednesday. This here's the family, man. You're listening to The Real Radio.
Speaker 1: It's time for a Talkback Purge on the Jim Colbert Show.
Speaker 2: Does anyone remember when Ernest P.
Speaker 16: Worrell used to do commercials for TV 35, which is now Fox 35?
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah. He'd do his little thing where he'd do commercials and.
Speaker 21: He'd be Hey Vern, you gonna watch the Beverly Hillbillies on TV 35?
Speaker 2: Coming up right next. Stick around.
Speaker 15: Help me, Jack Juan Kenobi. You're my only hope. That song that was just playing behind the Family Auto Mart liner that you just played. What's the name of that song? I've been wanting to know for years. Jim Phillips always used to use it for all of his liners. I need to know, what's the name of that song?
Speaker 2: Wayfaring Stranger by Eva Cassidy.
Speaker 15: Whoa.
Speaker 23: All right, so the thing with the woman, when they first started doing the commercial, she was in it.
Speaker 8: And she had the cast on.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 20: And then either the audience was, they got a little disturbed when she didn't have it or they just decided to run with it.
Speaker 2: But yes, it was a prop. After, initially, she actually needed it. So, yes, it's both. She wasn't even an actor. She was a schoolteacher.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she's just on there with the knee brace, and.
Speaker 2: She was scratching dead like the stuff she was selling. Oh, my God, dude. Damn. That was the symbolism. Oh, my God. Okay. Hey, Ohana. You're such a duck.
Speaker 18: So glad you mentioned Art Grendel. Man, he was the OG.
Speaker 1: That guy was a wild man.
Speaker 19: Aloha.
Speaker 10: Aloha.
Speaker 6: Aloha.
Speaker 2: Man, I grew up on that family auto mart, too.
Speaker 12: Some boo-coo minivans.
Speaker 8: Boo-coo.
Speaker 24: They had a lot of cars with me.
Speaker 2: Look out for me and Irene. So good, dude. Okay. Come on. Come on.
Speaker 7: It's okay.
Speaker 2: Can you feel the tension in the air? I can feel it all the way down in my plums.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: Obscured by the clouds.
Speaker 17: Light the candle.
Speaker 2: Let the boy watch. Let the boy watch. That's your purge. Unreal show today, guys. So much fun. Lord have mercy. What a show today. I think more texts than we've ever gotten on the program today. Jack, if you could do us all an honor and read the text that had us rolling on the break.
Speaker 10: Hurry. Oh, man.
Speaker 2: It was the top one. There's so many coming in, buddy, though. It cycles down so fast. Jimmy, Uber, vigilant on the handicap beat. Get out of that wheelchair, Hawking, you complete fraud. As you perfectly said, I read that one and laughed my ass off as well. So many good times. All right. 407-916-1041. Text us 77031. Welcome back. I'm Jim. Deb, Jack, and Ross are here as well. Speaking of Deb, let's do You Heard It Here First.
Speaker 1: It's time for You Heard It Here First on the Jim Colbert Show.
Speaker 4: Like I said, a special place in hell for people like this. A man and woman are accused of burglarizing the Coral Gables home of a couple killed in a helicopter crash in Kenya. Police say Gabor Garcia and Melanie Perdomo stole luxury cars, expensive art, and other valuable items. The burglary was reported.
Speaker 2: By the housekeeper.
Speaker 4: On August 23rd, just four days after the deadly accident, thankfully investigators were able to find the suspects by tracking the location of a stolen MacBook and Range Rover. Charges include burglary and grand theft.
Speaker 13: Wow.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: One of three people accused in a murder-for-hire plot is being found guilty in Jacksonville. The jury has convicted Mario Fernandez-Saldana of arranging the shooting death of his wife's ex-husband, Microsoft executive Jared Breidegen. His widow, Kirsten, says it's a welcome verdict.
Speaker 9: Truth was seen in that courtroom. The jury saw that truth and they acted accordingly. And because of that, Mario Fernandez is a murderer and he will be put away for the rest of his life as he deserves.
Speaker 4: Now, the victim's former wife, Shana Gardner, is also charged with his murder and her trial will begin in September while a third Henry Tennant also awaits trial. Breitigan was shot dead in Jacksonville Beach in 2022 when he got out of his vehicle to remove a tire blocking the road. His two-year-old daughter was inside his car at the time. And then finally, country music superstar Garth Brooks is announcing back-to-back performances in Orlando as part of his Blame It All on My Roots arena tour. Two shows are scheduled at the Kia Center on September 25th and 26th. Tickets go on sale one week from today. You are not allowed to go to the one on September 26th. You have a prior engagement.
Speaker 3: I texted my wife this morning when I saw that immediately. She said, yeah, but all the tickets are one price. They're going to go so fast, we're never going to get a seat. I guess all the tickets are $ 154 regardless.
Speaker 2: Really? I repeat, you cannot go to the one on the 26th because you will be somewhere. Where am I going to be? What's going on? We already made the promo that says you're actually showing up to Sons, Pups, and Pints this year. Yes, we are.
Speaker 4: And you heard it here first on the Jim Colbert Show.
Speaker 2: I hear Kelly's is opening. Dude, how do you know the milkshake song lady? Deb, who do we have to thank today?
Speaker 4: We want to thank that mortgage guy, Don, for saucing up our Wednesdays. Thank you so much, that mortgage guy, Don.
Speaker 2: My hero.
Speaker 4: Just in case you missed Animal House or our chat with Scott, both of their podcasts have already been posted to the Jim Colbert Show. And last but never least, Sam Bowen, Candice Rich, and Alicia Badass Bullwear for running our YouTube chat.
Speaker 2: Thanks, guys. Appreciate it, as we do every single day. Jack, question of the day? In our YouTube chat, have you been to a mall this year?
Speaker 24: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Oh, uh.
Speaker 2: 48% say yes. Pretty good.
Speaker 6: 40%.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah. Not bad.
Speaker 4: Not bad.
Speaker 3: Hey, 14 sketches coming up this Saturday. Mount Dora Music Hall. It's going to be a good-ass time. It's a fun gig. 14 of the most brilliant sketch comedy scenes.
Speaker 2: Come on down to Mount Dora to see the best show I've ever made.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Very nice, man.
Speaker 3: It's rosscomedy.com or realradio.fm slash events.
Speaker 2: We would love to see you there. It's going to be a good-ass time. And that happens Saturday in Mount Dora.
Speaker 4: I believe that's realradio.fm slash comedy.
Speaker 2: Comedy. My apologies.
Speaker 4: We were testing you.
Speaker 2: Oh, thank you. You failed. Yeah. Miserably. All right. Trying to get his Garth Brooks tickets. All right.
Speaker 3: Coming up tomorrow, we'll have Chloe G will be in corporate court tomorrow for a Thursday edition, not to mention all your calls, texts, and talkbacks all day long. On behalf of Deb, Jack, and Ross, I'm Jim. We follow the new Shucky. They follow the monsters of the morning. After us, it's Tom and Ann with the Corporate Time and our friends from Real Laughs. We'll see you tomorrow at 3 for more of the Jim Colbert Show. Until then, have yourself a fantastic Wednesday evening.
Speaker 4: Be safe. and put some hump in your day.
Speaker 11: Bye.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right.
Speaker 7: Whatever.
Speaker 1: If you missed any part of today's show, check out the Jim Colbert Show On Demand. And for highlighted feature segments, listen to the Jim Colbert Show The Goods. Both are available for free on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 20: A Corporate Time with Tom and Dan is coming up next on Real Radio 104.1.
Speaker 4: From the Clausman Law Traffic Center, car crash, call Clausman Law. ClausmanLaw.com.
Speaker 2: There's a crash partially blocking the off-ramp from 429 southbound and western way. The left lane's blocked on the express lanes of I-4 eastbound near.