Speaker 1: You're listening to kf I am six forty the Bill Handles show on demand on the iHeartRadio apps. With Momdani winning the election, he is now the new mayor. What do you think is gonna happen when he first when he has sworn in and the first thing he does is sign a declaration changing the color of the flag of New York City to red, and they play the Internacional at his inauguration.
Speaker 2: And now handle on the news, Ladies and gentlemen, here's Bill Handle.
Speaker 3: Whoam all right? There we go. My headset almost was working there. Oh okay, it.
Speaker 4: Wasn't your headset. You didn't have your mic on.
Speaker 3: That's okay.
Speaker 1: Thursday morning, thank you, Neil pop Puffs Thursday morning, November sixth a.
Speaker 3: Hello, I'm in studio today. Oh.
Speaker 1: Also brought a big fan of the show. Okay, maybe not a big fan of the show. Maybe someone who Lindsay came you brought your wife?
Speaker 3: Yeah, basically my way. Yeah, I brought my It's bringing your wife to workday today? Did you know that? Yeah? Anyway, welcome aboard, happy to be here, thank you.
Speaker 1: Okay, excellent, all right, And she does a great podcast too, The Pain Game podcast.
Speaker 3: You can listen to whoever podcasts are listening to.
Speaker 1: And she's a far far better broadcaster than I am.
Speaker 3: For real.
Speaker 1: You don't have to tell us that, okay, course, okay, So anyway, pain Game Podcast. Okay, So that's one thing I'm horing. Oh there's a couple other things I want to hoard this morning. First, Hello, Neil, good morning.
Speaker 3: Good morning, Willie wolf Esquire, Yes, and Amy good morning. Hello.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're having campers cono.
Speaker 4: Hello.
Speaker 1: Yeah, some of us are happy. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And Will Coleschriver Hello, Will, good morning.
Speaker 4: I don't see anybody today on the thing.
Speaker 5: A person who's supposed to turn this all on.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're here.
Speaker 1: We're all in studio here so I can come trumping in. And then of course producer and you know what is that? Everybody a producer.
Speaker 3: And you know the name? Oh yeah, but it's how.
Speaker 1: About the producer a producer, not the producer. But you ever noticed that when you call a doctor's office. I used to do that all the time because I worked with doctors in the world of infertility. And uh, I say, you know, doctor Schmendrick whatever his name is, and uh, doctor is not available. What I mean, doctor is not available. It's the doctor. Because no, no doctor is not available. Well, would you leave a message saying lawyer is on the phone, patient would like to see him?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, all right. Anyway, good morning to one and all.
Speaker 1: Now I want to point something out, and this reason Lindsey has joined me today because.
Speaker 5: Oh, before you do that, do you want to start with that announcement?
Speaker 3: Uh? Who Nancy?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, because they just broke in.
Speaker 2: Nancy Pelosi's not dead, right, stop it.
Speaker 6: So she just announced that she's retiring, not running for re election. You know, she was elected to the House for the first time in nineteen eighty seven. She's been there ever since. She's eighty five.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and she's retiring from life.
Speaker 5: Oh she's going to go have a life now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she actually is. And you have to give her insane amounts of credit. She was probably the most, if not among the most effective Speakers of the House that ever existed. And Mike Johnson is a waste of time, Nancy. He should take lessons and read her book and just say, hey, this is the way you run a house.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: So with that, before we get to handle on the news, I want to announce that I am now now back.
Speaker 3: In the world of musicals I have.
Speaker 1: I was gone for of time and now I am back, and I want to tell you about a musical we saw last night, Mulon Rouge playing at the Pantagious. Now I must tell you it is, if not the most unique musical I have ever heard, enjoyed and seen performed. It is one of them. No, I'd go so far say it's the most unique. It is the yeah, the most unique musicals. To give me an idea, there are over one hundred songs. How do you do one hundred songs in a two and a half hour musical. You have to go to see it. It is extraordinary to see. So I'm going to suggest, if you're going to see a musical, you want to jump on this one because it is. It's mind boggling, it's so good. And oh oh yeah right, thank you, No, not.
Speaker 4: Really, thanks. You got some Mulan Rouge.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, And it's playing.
Speaker 1: It's Mulon Rouge the musical, and it is playing at the Pantagious until I think November sixteenth.
Speaker 4: I'm guessing your tickets free.
Speaker 1: Yeah. However, the hotel room was not what okay, dinner was not. The gasoline to come from Orange County was not. So it ended up costing expensive night. Yeah, oh yeah, it was an expensive It was a media knighte. It was a media nite, So they invite the media in the hopes that people talk about, Oh what a shocker talking about it. Also, you combine a terrific musical with one of the most beautiful theaters anywhere, and it's a hell of a night.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: I want to point something out really quickly before we hit the news, and that is as you watch the musical, if you look very, very carefully and in the right hand back way at the back of the stage, in the right hand corner, you will see for a moment the only straight guy who appears.
Speaker 3: In the musical.
Speaker 4: Was he a stage hand or we don't know, lighting guy?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I don't know's it's only because.
Speaker 2: His step shuffle ball chance was off? What was the Yeah, it's a tap reference.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, thank you.
Speaker 2: I just for some reason, you just know, you missed one other thing about Moolong Rouge, and that is because of the way it was written and the songs that are used. It's not like a Broadway musical where you know, out of eight songs, six of them are really fantastic and two are like every single song and.
Speaker 1: Well you'll recognize, you will recognize every single song.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna leave it at that.
Speaker 1: It's just anyway, well we're seeing to say that now.
Speaker 4: It's good to see you all happy and games.
Speaker 3: I am. I am because I'm back in the world of musical.
Speaker 1: This is where I revel, this is where I live, This is where I'm.
Speaker 3: A happy camper.
Speaker 4: Are those jazz hands yes, okay.
Speaker 1: Yes they are. Okay, guys to it. It is time for handle on the news on this Thursday morning, November sixth after saying hello to everybody.
Speaker 3: With Amy and Neil and me.
Speaker 7: Lead Sorry, yesterday probably the longest session I've ever seen in front of the US Supreme Court, where the administration was defending the tariffs.
Speaker 1: There's been a lawsuit against the tariffs, arguing that the President overstepped his authority, that because Congress is the only part of the government that is able to invoke terriffs, and the administration is that no, no, these aren't tariffs. These are not really tariffs. No, they you have to call them something else. And then they said that these aren't well, terroriffs are to raise money.
Speaker 3: These are regulatory tariffs.
Speaker 1: They're not revenue raising tariffs, so it's not to raise money, although Trump has said we have tons of money and we're raising more and tariffs are all about money.
Speaker 2: So you know, go figure, that's right up there with the California gas fees.
Speaker 4: Yes, that we pay because I can't use the word jacks or fees.
Speaker 3: Yeah, fees that we have. Yeah, in the courts have allowed that to happen.
Speaker 1: And then one other thing that Trump's position was that and has been since the beginning, is that the countries that are being tariffed pay the tariff. That's absolutely not true. We pay the terriffs.
Speaker 4: Oh so I.
Speaker 2: Ordered something from the UK, yes, and I got an email for the first time that I've ever seen this from UPS that says you owe us The thing I bought was one hundred and twenty dollars. You owe us ninety two dollars. And I'm like, what, I thought? It was a scam, So I had to do a bunch of research. But go on log on UPS and it was it was me paying for the tariffs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 1: But no, no, if you ask the administration. You're not paying for the tariffs. The UK is paying for the tariffs. Tell it to my bank account, no kiddings. So I paid for it, but as the interest, I thought it was a scam. And I think, yeah, it's the tariffs are insane, you know, Platinum cook Wear with my partner Saville, we're and we bring in it, We bring in we bring in stainless steel, which is tariff at the highest level, cookwar, which is terriffs at the highest level from China, which is tariff at the highest level.
Speaker 3: And so it's over one hundred percent.
Speaker 2: Gosh, it almost makes you want to make it not with slave flavor out of the country.
Speaker 1: Damn right, those fourteen year olds that are putting it together. The other thing I want to point out, and this one's kind of interesting for a court that usually gives tremendous deference to the president, that believes the president has more power than any court has ever made that decision, even the court John Roberts, other than Clarence Thomas. But John Roberts and Gorsage kept on saying, is this unlimited? Does the president simply say I'm going to tariff because I want a tariff and Congress has nothing to do with it, and that's what the argument was. Yeah, yeah, this is unlimited power. We'll see what happened.
Speaker 2: Problem is, it's been working in many cases, and how do you argue that?
Speaker 6: Yeah, all right, it's gonna be dicey if you're planning to head to the airport. The FAA has announced plans to cut the number of flights by ten percent at forty airports around the country, and that includes lax Ontario International and San Diego International. They're saying they've got to do it to make sure that the skies stay safe because of the staffing shortages at air traffic control towers around the country caused by the government shutdown.
Speaker 3: Yep, he goes, look in the sky, it's not a plane.
Speaker 4: Would you fly anywhere right now? I mean the lines that I've seen, like no' penous it would take forever.
Speaker 5: I just flew and I didn't have any trouble.
Speaker 4: Yeah, coming in from your arms tired.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Portland, and there wasn't any delay with the TSA.
Speaker 6: Nope, TSA was a breathe Wow. Now my friend also flew into Portland. We met in Portland and she was delayed about an hour out of Phoenix.
Speaker 3: Because of the TSA or just the plane was delayed period.
Speaker 6: I don't think it was because of TSA. I think it was the air traffic controllers, right, they're calling it, well, that's what I meant, yeah, air traffic controllers.
Speaker 4: Yeah. All right.
Speaker 2: So you've got a coalition of sorts California Republicans filing a lawsuit, of course, because that's what we do now in politics. They're challenging gav gov Gav Newsome and the approved redistricting effort effort, so Prop fifty and as much as I don't like Prop fifty and I think it's going to bite us in the ass in a way that we don't know, it's done. It's done. Negotiate before the contract, the contracts done. Leave it alone, Okay, it won it passed. Go somewhere else. Don't waste more money.
Speaker 5: That is not the way of our world anymore.
Speaker 3: I'll just let it be. I'm going to talk more about that at seven o'clock, just to let you know.
Speaker 1: Since twenty since the twenty twenty census, over a one hundred lawsuits have been filed in attempts to block redistricting.
Speaker 4: We need to get rid of the census.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we do. It had no cost. Okay, we can't do that. You know why we can't get rid of the census.
Speaker 4: Well, it's how we know how many people are here.
Speaker 1: That is correct. But why is it that we must do the census. It's constitution that is correct in the constitution.
Speaker 2: Same thing in Jesus' day, which is why they had to help, why they had to go to Bethlehem on an ass just like this show.
Speaker 3: Okay, very very deep.
Speaker 4: I'm deep, religiously so.
Speaker 6: Tread lightly doj A federal judge has warned the Justice Department that it could be getting dangerously close to mishandling evidence in its criminal case against former FBI director James Comy. Judge William Patrick of the Eastern District of Virginia said, right now, we're in a bit of a feeling of indict first, investigate later. Fitzpatrick wants to get the grand jury transcripts.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: Does anybody have any doubt that's what's going on that the President is going after Letitia James and Komy and John Bolton, notwithstanding anything they have done. Rayfire, you go ahead and charge them and will find something to charge them with you can't do that. It has to be the other way around. And I'll talk more about that later, No, I won't. I was then talk more about the previous story about the lawsuits.
Speaker 2: So Trump is feeling the heat. A lot of people believe that the it was a testament of people pushing against Trump and the shutdown of the government on November fourth. Federal shutdown has dragged on. Of course, it's becoming the longest in American history, and Republicans felt the losses on election Day. Trump told Republican senators the White House on Wednesday that the government shutdown was a huge factor. No dub So he says, we got to shut down, and the shutdown.
Speaker 4: And the filibuster.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he actually did a pretty good job of analyzing what happened. One of them was the government shutdown is white people, and people are blaming the Republicans for it, which he doesn't understand or just doesn't get. Also the fact that he was not on the ballot in any of these races and that hurt the Republicans.
Speaker 3: He's absolutely right, because when Trump is.
Speaker 1: On the ballot, it's a very different kind of vote, far more than normally what happens during a presidential So he's right.
Speaker 4: And the way he analyzes a weird entity, I'll give you that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he is so.
Speaker 1: And the and the shutdown still continues today is a thirty seven I think. So we are now well into the longest period of time that we've ever had.
Speaker 3: A shutdown, and it doesn't look like it's close either.
Speaker 5: Although there's talk that they're kind of talking behind closed doors.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll see. Still, it takes a while, all right.
Speaker 6: Better than expected private sector job creation bounced back in October. Payroll processing company ADP estimated that private sector jobs forty two thousand more jobs last month, which is a rebound. ADP's chief economist, though, cautioned that while the pace of hiring is running slower than earlier this year, and it's also more concentrated in just a few sectors.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you have to look at that.
Speaker 1: It's not just jobs overall, it's which kind of jobs like holidays.
Speaker 5: Yeah's coming up.
Speaker 1: Right, And you've got for example, Information lost seventeen thousand jobs. Oh, we know that because all the IT companies are laying off, and so leisure and hospitality down six thousand jobs. That's because they have AI. When you go up to the desk, Hi, how are you? I'd like to talk to someone you are and you're not talking to anybody.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: I always know when things are crappy because my wife's a therapist. So if she's busy, that means the hell at the world's auguring for sure. All right, what a story. Mexican President Claudia Shinbaum strolling through the city doing what presidents do. She's in the city, capital capital this week. She's heading from one government office to another. She stops, she takes selfies with the crowd and admirers. Pretty typical politician stuff, right. A man comes up from behind, slips his arms around the President of Mexico her shoulder, leaned in, planted a kiss on her neck, and briefly grabbed her chee cheese before an aid pushed them away.
Speaker 4: An age che cheese, che cheese. There's a Spanish for boobies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wouldn't have bakey brestiss Okay, no, but I mean it's like I, I I know, flabbergacid and an aid. You don't have security, you would think, although it's not the same.
Speaker 1: Although when you think of Mexico with the Narco traficantes.
Speaker 3: So I'm back to your right security.
Speaker 2: Well, so she is now got this war against rampant sexual harassment going on Mexico.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's been used as a poster child for women in general.
Speaker 3: Actually, this was a good thing.
Speaker 1: This happened because no one was hurt, and she's using this as a platform to talk about women.
Speaker 2: How do you get that close to the president of Mexico, No idea.
Speaker 6: Somebody apparently didn't pay attention when the cyberfolks, Hey, don't use the easy passwords like one, two, three, four, five six or your birthday. The password to the Louvers surveillance video system was LOUVER very very good l o u v r E. At the time of the robbery of the one hundred million dollars worth of Crown jewels, and that wasn't the only thing. The security measures at the Louver have been coming under fire. They did have a camera, but the only one at the Apollo Gallery where the Crown Jewels were was facing the wrong direction.
Speaker 4: Because they don't expect someone coming through the window right.
Speaker 6: And then the museum's alarms apparently worked. Video cameras were working, but there were weaknesses in the perimeter security because of gidding under investment.
Speaker 4: It's under investment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when you talk about the value of these jewels, not only the actual value monetary value, but historical value, which is way more important than the materials themselves.
Speaker 4: One hundred and two can'ts a million is you know, which You're not gonna be.
Speaker 3: Able to sell these. They have to be melted down.
Speaker 4: And then the history goes with it.
Speaker 1: And then the UPS crash that we just talked about a number of people dead looks like eleven already or twelve people and still.
Speaker 2: Some people missing and up to twelve now, yeah, and which is horrific, but you keep looking at that thinking, man, how did more people not die?
Speaker 3: Crazy? So the US.
Speaker 2: UPS plane crash, three employees of the Louisville facility are missing still and they say it looked like Hell's fury because it just the explosion in the line of fire.
Speaker 1: Full of fuel and it looks like it hit a fuel depot there at the airport.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the slimming to this facility there shortly after taking off. Twelve people dead at this point, multiple families with missing loved ones. It just is absolutely insane, and I mean, there'd be an investigation, right, and they'll figure out why the wing came off.
Speaker 3: All right, stell one more and then we'll take our last break.
Speaker 5: All in one.
Speaker 6: The Olympics open closing ceremonies are going to be held at the Los Angeles Coliseum, not at SOFI. So Originally they had planned to hold the closing ceremonies at both stadiums, both venues, but LA City Council unanimously voted yesterday that it will be only at La Memorial Coliseum. Now the opening ceremony will be shared between the Colisseum and SOFI.
Speaker 3: I wonder how much the tickets are going to be for opening ceremony.
Speaker 1: I would think opening ceremonies are the most boring thing because you've got three hours of looking at two hundred countries.
Speaker 5: Oh I love it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, okay, I've had enough of that.
Speaker 1: Well, you see the athletes, and you see the Americans, you see the Russians and they're Chinese. So there's two hundred people, and then you have toga, which has one guy holding.
Speaker 4: In Atoga in drunk.
Speaker 1: Yeah, real quick, one, if you drive a Toyota, you are going to die next week, right, Neil, No, that is not the case, but you do have.
Speaker 2: A million in change of the US vehicles from Toyota are being recalled. This is due to a flaw with the rear view camera.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I remember Bill when we had to turn our next to look what was behind us. And now they think you're going to die if you don't have the camera.
Speaker 3: Well, we think about this. I don't even bother looking back.
Speaker 1: I just use the camera and sure now and it says do not look at the camera solely, which is complete crap because the view of the camera is all encompassing. And more importantly, I guess if you like the person they were about to hit, if there are no blind spots back there.
Speaker 4: You know what the fun thing is.
Speaker 2: You go to the little five and dime as the kids call it, right, and you get a tiny little grocery cart and you tape it to that. Now people think there's a grocery cart behind their car every time. They never mind gat anyways, So that may affect you. If the camera's not working.
Speaker 1: Be safe. If you shop a Trader Joe's, you're gonna die, right Amy.
Speaker 5: Jeez, everybody's going to die today.
Speaker 6: So there's a listeria outbreak federal health officials say it's into seventeen, actually eighteen states now. It's linked to frozen pasta that you can get at Trader Joe's and at Walmart. It's also available at Kroger's, Sprouts Market, and other major grocery stores. So this frozen pasta is coming out of Nate's Fine Foods, based in northern California. As of late last month, the outbreak has killed six people and made twenty seven others sick.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then they're changing the label to Nate's Not So Fine Foods.
Speaker 4: Yeah, markings gonna have to change.
Speaker 2: Smeldaves, Maldives, Maldives, Maldives.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's what I thought. What a weird way to ban smoking.
Speaker 2: So they're banning smoking for everyone that was born after January one, two thousand and seven, so you can't purchase, use, or be sold tobacco products.
Speaker 1: Yes, we're I would think if you're looking at the philosophy here, sort of okay, if you're older than that, you're already completely addicted and.
Speaker 3: It's much harder for you. I can't think of any other reason.
Speaker 4: Just say it's a it's illegal. Yeah, is that across the bar?
Speaker 1: The Maldives are probably the best place to do scuba diving in the world.
Speaker 4: It's hard to smoke underwater.
Speaker 3: Yes, it is okay. If another story is going to get so hot, you're gonna die, Neil.
Speaker 4: No, this isn't me say my turn. Oh I'm sorry, So don't get ahead of yourself.
Speaker 5: Nobody's gonna die.
Speaker 6: But apparently the Trump administration's got to fork over millions of dollars. They have been ordered or it has been ordered to release millions of dollars in grants that were supposed to be addressing the shortage of mental health workers in schools. Congressunt funded the mental health program after the school shooting in Uvalde, Texas in twenty twenty two, but President Trump's administration had opposed diversity considerations used to award the grants and told the recipients of them that they wouldn't be getting any funding past December. It is a preliminary ruling. I would imagine that they'll fight it.
Speaker 1: Of course they're going to fight it. So they're saying, we don't want to give money to people who are mentally ill because we don't believe they're mentally ill, or because they happen to be a different race.
Speaker 4: They're brown, and I know we don't want to take care.
Speaker 3: Go figure that one out. Why not?
Speaker 2: Okay, now on you're going to die because the world will overshoot the one point five degree climate goal. We have climate goals like where we want to be hot heat wise? Yeah, in the Paris the court, Yeah, let's get here. Let's get this. So they didn't want it to go over that, I would imagine, But the world has failed once again to meet it's climate change target of limiting the rise in global temperatures to one point five degrees.
Speaker 3: So we're not going to make it.
Speaker 1: The world is heating up faster than everybody hoped.
Speaker 2: So the government wants you to give them money, and they're going to build a huge fan, right and put it up in space, and you know what, everybody will still give money to that idea.
Speaker 3: That's correct.
Speaker 1: Oh, we got one last one and it's a beauty.
Speaker 6: Will the boys in blue go to the White House? Well, if you're an immigration rights group.
Speaker 5: You're hoping not. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 6: They're calling on the LA Dodgers to decline a visit to the White House because of the Trump administration's immigration enforcement operations In La.
Speaker 3: Now, let me ask a question.
Speaker 1: How many of the Dodgers are Hispanic and how many if they weren't to go to the White House, would be picked up at ice by ice right.
Speaker 3: At the door.
Speaker 5: Several and zero?
Speaker 2: Yeah, see, I would go the other way. It's a big trap and wanting to be the real White House.
Speaker 3: P K.
Speaker 5: Hernandez, you're out like.
Speaker 4: No, thank you?
Speaker 3: Do you think do you think they're gonna go? Yes or no?
Speaker 2: You think they should they celebrated. It has nothing to do with Trump. They should be celebrated. Well, People's house, regardless of a lot of people have said no. A lot of organizations had said no during the previous Trump administration, but that there were some basketball teams that said no.
Speaker 3: I've never heard of that.
Speaker 5: But they're all going now.
Speaker 2: But Trump owns everybody.
Speaker 4: Don't let them own you.
Speaker 2: Just go for the people, Go for the team, Go for the the Americans and the pride of Los Angeles.
Speaker 3: Okay, kf I A M six point forty. You've been listening to the Bill Handles Show.
Speaker 1: Catch my show Monday through Friday six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.