Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begun.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 1: This is World Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: Here we go again. We're going running back.
Speaker 4: To get in on the show called eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy, and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you catch your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Here's your host, David Vase.
Speaker 3: We are in a rain.
Speaker 2: Delay, officially here at the Bank in Philadelphia. Welcome to a special rain delay edition of Dodger Talk. Yes, phone lines are open at eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy. If you're in Philadelphia, call in because you've certainly have been tweeting at me and sending me direct messages asking me when this game is going to start. I had no idea at one o'clock or two o'clock or even two hours ago. So if you were tweeting at me or dming me, call in and speak to me. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy. The tarp is still on the field right now, so until they take that tarp off and by the time they take it off, it's going to take at least forty five to fifty minutes to get the field ready to get first pitch going. I will tell you this, This weather system has been in the Northeast, and the Red Sox at Fenway Park postponed their game today against the Orioles, and the Yankees again had rain issues and they postponed their game against the Pirates. So those two games in New York and Boston have been washed out. But here in Philadelphia early on this afternoon, we all thought that there was going to be a doubleheader tomorrow, but the weather system improved. I guess to give the Phillies some sort of optimism that they can get this game in tonight, and look, I think that would be for the best. I don't believe the Dodgers want to play two double headers within three days of themselves. So they finished out the series in New York with a doubleheader. I don't think they would love to finish this series in Philadelphia with a doubleheader. But the one thing both teams don't want to happen is that you start this game with Justin Robleski and Zach Wheeler and you have to stop the game for an hour plus, and all of a sudden, now these two teams have lost two really good starters and you're into a bullpen game. So that's the line of thinking these days in Major League Baseball. It's better to push the start time or maybe even just postpone the game entirely so you don't lose your starter and have to tax your bullpen because this day and age of twenty twenty six baseball, not the Dodgers in Phillies necessarily, but a lot of teams out there overuse their bullpens as it is, and you don't want to have to do that if it's not necessary. So right now, at the very least, we're looking at an hour from the time they take that tarp off, and right now the tarp is still on there, so we have time to dive into some Dodger baseball coming up in about fifteen minutes during these rain delays. And we haven't done this in a while because the Dodgers have not had a lot of raindlays over the course of the last couple of years. But back in twenty twelve, my first season hosting Dodger Talk, I had a chance to interview the legend himself, Vin Scully for the first time and had a chance to pick his brain about a lot of things he saw in Brooklyn, and we're going to share that with you again. It's one of my favorite things during a rain delay to hear Vin's voice again and for him to tell those magical stories of the boys a summer. So looking forward to sharing that with you over the course of the next hour, and we do have time for trade talk, mind numbing trade talk as well. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number David Vassey live at the Bank in Philadelphia with Rick Monday and Steven Nelson. In case you missed what the Dodgers starting lineup is going to look like today and moving forward against right handed pitching, Max Muncie is going to be the cleanup hitter and Mookie Betts is going to hit fifth. And after last night's game where Mooki had a four hit game and hit two home runs, he was still very humble and not ready to declare anything about him being back because it was just one game, even though it was an encouraging game. And Dave Roberts said earlier today that I'm sure Mooki slept better last night than he has in a while because he's been he's been struggling coming into the game last night. In the month of July, he only had six hits. He had four hits last night. Think about that. We're almost at the end of June and Mookie Betts only had six hits. He was coming into the game last night hitting a buck forty. So this team, obviously, the Dodgers one of the best teams record wise. The Brewers right now a win better than the Dodgers as far as the best record in baseball. But the Dodgers are sixty three and thirty eight. They're in a great spot. And if you examine this offense, which has been really good as a whole, they haven't gotten a lot out of Mookie Betts and Kyle Tucker. Ta Oscar Hernandez is in a big time slump right now. He's three for his last forty five and tonight Alex call is going to get the start and left field. So I know last year we were saying this the second half of last year that this Dodger offense has not reached its potential, And I think you could say that again until you get Mookie Beds and Kyle Tucker going in taoscar Hernandez back before, back to the guy he was before he got hurt. This offense is far from reaching what it can do, and you just hope that it happens at the right time. Eight six six nine seven two five seventy is the phone number. It's going to be Justin Robleski against Zach Wheeler. Once we get things underway, let's go out to the phones for the first time on rain delay.
Speaker 3: Dodger talks Steven in La.
Speaker 5: How you doing, How are you doing today? Thank you so much for having me on.
Speaker 3: My pleasure.
Speaker 5: I wanted to talk about Mooki a little bit. I feel that we're not giving him enough credit. Okay, I know that he's in a slump, we understand that, but he is a born leadoff hitter. In twenty twenty three, he set a franchise record for most leads off home runs twelve, uh huh. In twenty twenty four, sho Heyotani he was injured. Shohyo Tani came and took that first spot and he did greatness. He had the fifty to fifty clubs, and then Muki had four leadoff homers in twenty twenty four, but he's never got Stephen.
Speaker 2: Let me stop you right there, do you I mean full disclosure here. You can't just lay something like that out there and not explain why Sho Heo Tani became the leadoff hitter. Mookie Betts got hit by a pitch and broke his hand. That took him out for six weeks. So that's when the Dodgers put Otani in the leadoff spot, and ever since then they've won two World championships. So I'm not sure what your point is. Are you saying that Mooki needs to go back to the leadoff spot as a two thirty hitter to get going again.
Speaker 5: No, I'm not saying that. What I'm saying is we have to give Mooki credit for stepping back after he had the injury, not coming back and saying claiming that leadoff spot, letting things stay the way they are. And he's been moving around ever since and trying to figure it out. And I would like to give him some more credit for what he's done for the team. He didn't disrupt things, he didn't come back and say I'm not in after the injury. I want the leadoff. So I just wanted to give him a little more credit because I think he deserves it. He's a team player, and I think he's going to figure it out and he always does. He's a savant when it comes to baseball and solving things, so just like he did at shortstops. So I feel like it's his next challenge, is his next hurdle, and he will figure it out. And I just want to give him some credit because he didn't disrupt what was going on there after the injury.
Speaker 2: No, I think that lends to the reason why he's a four time World Series champion, because he is a winning player and he is a good teammate. And I think you could say the same about shille hay Otani, who to try to help Mookie Betts last year, say you know what, no problem, I'll let Mookie lead off and I'll hit second if that's going to jumpstart him. So I think you're talking about two guys that are willing to move spots in the order. And you could say the same about Freddie Freeman. So the three best players on this team are checking their egos at the door.
Speaker 5: Fantastic points. I agree, all.
Speaker 2: Right, Steven. Thanks for the phone call. Positive phone call, very I'm not used to that, Steven.
Speaker 5: I believe the Dodgers are positive, and I believe they're gonna turn it around and we're gonna head to another championship.
Speaker 2: I don't think there's anything to turn around, Steven, but I know what you're saying. Look, the Dodgers are two and five in their last seven games, but I feel like you have to wash away even though the record won't what took place going into the All Star breaks. So quite honestly, after the All Star Break, it's kind of a fresh slate the way I look at things. And the Dodgers took two out of three at Yankee Stadium, and they lost a game that they very well could have won last night if it wasn't for some sloppy play and some pitches that were not made. Despite Trey Turner hitting two home runs and driving in five runs, the Dodgers very well could have won that game. Eight six six seven, two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to seem me Valley. Sam, You're on Dodger Talk Live from Philly. How you doing, Sam, I'm doing.
Speaker 6: Good, Dave.
Speaker 7: I was watching the game yesterday, and I was just very frustrated with the way the first inning the batters were just swinging at nothing but balls and striking out. I think the first five or six pitches were out of the strike zone, and I don't know how they act, especially after Otani swung, yeah, three pitches.
Speaker 2: He was trying to hit a whole run in that first at bat. Sam Otani was trying to go deep. It's no secret he hasn't hit a home run in this ballpark, so I think he was expanding the strike zone.
Speaker 7: Oh but still by has swung at a ball that hit what the ground?
Speaker 3: That's Paz, you got take that look good.
Speaker 2: And he's had a he's had an all Star season, so yeah, it's gonna happen, Sam, Baseball's a grind.
Speaker 3: And they were facing, by the way, the best.
Speaker 2: Left hander in the game right now, so that's let let's not act they were facing the sisters of the poor last night. They were facing Christopher Sanchez.
Speaker 7: Of course, but if would have caught that ball in the outfield, that would have might have changed the outlook of the game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and if that's it doesn't give up a three run home run, it changes the game too. But it's one game in July, Sam, David, and they have the second best record in baseball. Them and the Brewers have the two best records. So I'm not that concerned, So.
Speaker 8: Neither am I.
Speaker 9: I just I tell everybody I says, they lose the games.
Speaker 7: We won two out of three out.
Speaker 9: Of the eighties, so you know, it doesn't really matter we won this game.
Speaker 2: They just want to win series and play good baseball, and that's one thing the Dodgers have done the majority of the season. Thanks for the phone call, Sam, appreciate it. David Vasse live at the Bank in Philadelphia. We're in a rain delay. Justin Robleski and Zach Wheeler will be the probables tonight.
Speaker 3: They're facing off against each other.
Speaker 2: One starter that said, yes, I'm very grateful to be invited to the All Star Game. Another that's super ungrateful. And I'm talking about Zach Wheeler who said, you know what, you didn't ask me in time, you didn't ask me the first time. No, no, I don't want to be part of it. We're Justin Robleski very grateful, and I think you're going to see the baseball gods tonight reward for that great karma. Don't know when this game is going to start. The tarp is still on the infield right now, so from what we've been told, once they take that tarp off, it's going to be about fifty minutes to get the field ready. So right now, the tarp is still on the field. And look, we went from people on both sides saying there might be a doubleheader tomorrow because the weather looks horrible to where we're at right now.
Speaker 3: Let's wait, let's wait.
Speaker 2: Well, they didn't wait at Fenway Park or Yankee Stadium, and they call it both those games.
Speaker 3: So I'm not as.
Speaker 2: Confident as I was an hour or two ago because we're still sitting here waiting for mother nature to cooperate. And sometimes mother nature doesn't cooperate with baseball. That's just part of it. Let's go out to Eugene, Oregon. Tom listening on the iHeartRadio app. Hi, Tom, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 8: Hey David, thanks for having me on. I haven't a question in his knee. Do you think it's affecting his swing or is it just the.
Speaker 10: Motion of delivering the ball off the mound that it bothers.
Speaker 2: He says that it only bothers him when he pitches, not when he hits. Because I asked him the last game before the All Star break on Sunday, I said, how do you do it? How does your knee hurt so bad that you can't pitch yet you can lead off the game with a home run? And he said, deadpanned, that's because it doesn't hurt when I when I hit.
Speaker 11: Fascinating, right, I mean, it really is.
Speaker 2: I feel like there's more to the story that he doesn't want us to know, or the Dodgers don't want us to know.
Speaker 3: I have a theory.
Speaker 12: Now.
Speaker 2: I'm starting to be suspicious of all this. And the Dodgers have been so good, so good over the years in giving their starters a break, and who better to give a break to than show hey Otani? Then then, right now he couldn't go wire to wire, and I feel like this is a great time to give him a break in pitching. He's even gonna throw a bullpen session this weekend, according to Dave Roberts. So that just tells me that the left knee well, Number one, I'll say that Otani.
Speaker 3: Must have a high, high pain tolerance number two.
Speaker 2: If he's throwing a bullpen session, the left knee doesn't hurt him.
Speaker 8: That bad, right, Yeah, I think he could.
Speaker 3: Just be the Dodgers and Otani a green.
Speaker 2: Let's give him a three week break in the middle of the year so he's ready to go for the postseason.
Speaker 3: I don't I'm not.
Speaker 2: I was concerned at first, but the more I let it sink in and talk to former Dodger pitchers, they there. Their thoughts are that the Dodgers may be just giving Otani a break from pitching, just like they would any other pitcher if they had that luxury.
Speaker 10: You gotta go with Khannie.
Speaker 8: He hasn't you know, filled this yet?
Speaker 3: Huh No, I would say he has not. Tom, thank you for the phone call.
Speaker 2: Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. David Vasseay live in Philadelphia. This is rain delay Dodger Talk. If you were expecting to hear Rick Monday and Steven Nelson with the words, I view, they're still here. Uh, just no baseball being played yet because the tarp is still on the field and we are expected to have baseball. So we'll see whether or not that takes place Justin Robleski and Zach Wheeler are going to be facing off against each other tonight. If this game gets underway, let's go out to Tennessee. Man, I am honored Patrick in Tennessee a truck driver. You know my godfather. His name happened to be Pete Rose and he was a proud Teamster truck driver for Roadway.
Speaker 3: Patrick.
Speaker 10: Awesome, Awesome. I can't believe my luck. Okay, I'm looking at the gopper right now. I stopped right now. I'm done for the night because I've got a big squall just north of me and it's coming my way.
Speaker 6: What I want to.
Speaker 10: Talk to you about Today's like the first.
Speaker 2: Well, hold on, hold on, you're a truck driver. You got to know the weather. What do you think you think they're going to play tonight? What is your radar and your big rig tell you.
Speaker 10: It's right on top of you, guys, But it is.
Speaker 7: It's going to be a cell. It's going to be a cell.
Speaker 10: That that e's a gonna o.
Speaker 9: Man, it's what I'm looking at you guys.
Speaker 7: Just you're just know you're just north of it.
Speaker 10: You might get away with this, Okay.
Speaker 3: The bulk of it is what I'm thinking it is.
Speaker 11: You.
Speaker 10: Yes, so you might get away with this.
Speaker 2: But so, Patrick, you're a big Dodger fan, you're a truck driver. How do you listen to Dodger games?
Speaker 10: Oh no, iHeartRadio.
Speaker 3: Oh baby, I love it.
Speaker 10: Oh well that's you can hear it anywhere. Okay, guys, gals, you can hear all these games, no problem, no matter where you're at.
Speaker 3: Yes you can, Yes, you can.
Speaker 10: I want I wanted to remind you.
Speaker 3: What's your questions?
Speaker 10: Well, I just want to remind them stay positive because we've been through this before.
Speaker 6: Where we lose.
Speaker 10: You'd rather lose now than September or the playoffs. So if you're gonna lose, lose it now. And you've got help coming anyway. So don't get discouraged. This is nothing. This is nothing. We're going to get through this, Okay.
Speaker 3: Seriously, get through what Patrick, I'm confused to get through.
Speaker 10: Well, people, they started hitting the panic button. If we start losing, okay, and it happens, you're going to lose some games. That's just baseball. You know, can't win them all. But we win enough to win. So I want to remind everybody. Hey, good times you're coming, bro, good times you're coming.
Speaker 2: Okay, I think we are living good times past. I gotta be honest with you.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't get where anybody would say we'll get through this, get through what. I don't want the Dodgers to get through it. I want them to continue it because they have the second most wins in baseball. So I have no issues with what's taking place so far this year, coming off back to back championships.
Speaker 3: Thanks for the phone call, Patrick Man.
Speaker 2: So cool that you're listening to us on the iHeartRadio app being able to do the truck driving thing across this country. Yeah, honestly, I don't know what the Dodgers are trying to get through. There's certain players that are trying to get through slumps, that's for sure, and get their season on track, but as a whole, there's nothing to get through. The Dodgers are doing better than anybody anticipated coming off back to back World Series championships, and they're only getting stronger. They didn't start the season with Tommy Edmund or keith Y Hernandez. We've seen what impact Tommy Edman has made since coming back. Kei K is going to return when the Dodgers return home after this road trip, and when Diaz is going to return, when the Dodgers get back to face the Mariners in Red Sox, Blake Snell is on his way back. Tyler Glass now is throwing bullpens. So it's a scary proposition for the rest of the league because the Dodgers have had the best record, the second best record consistently all season long, and we're in July. Don't forget that we're in July now, So this is a big sample size. And the guys that I'm talking about that need to quote get through it are Mookie Betts and Kyle Tucker and Taoscar Hernandez needs to get through this slump. So that's where things are at. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. We have gotten word that first pitch between the Dodgers and Phillies will be at five o'clock Pacific time, eight o'clock East, and so Dodger Talk will take you all the way to the top.
Speaker 3: Of the hour.
Speaker 2: Rick Monday and Steven Nelson, we'll have the call between the Dodgers and Phillies Game two of this three game series let's go out to Northridge.
Speaker 3: Jack, You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Jack?
Speaker 13: I'm doing good?
Speaker 2: How are you.
Speaker 3: Hey?
Speaker 2: Living the dream with the world champs?
Speaker 10: Darn right?
Speaker 13: So I have a question to see how what you think about how Cludpucker's sling is going? And so how much can he improve and really live up to his expectations of his huge contract?
Speaker 2: Well, number one, Jack, I think that's the biggest mistake anybody can make. He can't live up to sixty million dollars because that's not who he's been in his career. That's what the Dodgers did because they wanted a shorter term contract.
Speaker 3: But he's not.
Speaker 2: I think we can all agree. Even at his best, he's not a sixty million dollar player. What he is at his best is a two eighty hitter, a thirty home run guy, and a ninety to one hundred RBIs type of guy that plays pretty good defense in right field. And he hasn't even lived up to those career numbers yet. And it's not because he's thinking about that contract. It's not because he doesn't care. It's just been a struggle. Every year is unique, and it's unfortunate that it's taken this long for him to get going, but you just hope it clicks at some point.
Speaker 13: Yes, And I know we saw I think around June tenth. Then that week he had two home runs and like seven rbi. So whatever was happening that week, I think he should start carrying on with that.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'll let him know, Jack, thanks for the phone call. Eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number, Daniel S. Jewelers. They are the presenters of the home run forecast will Otani and his first career home run here in.
Speaker 3: Philadelphia at the bank.
Speaker 2: We'll find out because first pitch is coming up at five o'clock Pacific time. And for your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniel Steweler's gift card, go to a five seventy lasports dot Com used the keyword home run and to your name you could win Daniel S.
Speaker 3: Jeweler's own the dream.
Speaker 2: Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number.
Speaker 3: Let's go out to Virginia. Roy, You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Roy?
Speaker 14: My guy, David vess, what's going on?
Speaker 7: Brother?
Speaker 14: Hey?
Speaker 3: Hey, very lucky that all you are listening to us.
Speaker 14: Okay, I'm sorry, brother, go ahead, I cut you off, David, No, I was.
Speaker 2: Just saying I'm humbled by all of you listening to Dodger talk across the country and not just in La on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 14: So thank you, Yes, sir, Dodger fan since late seventies, brother, and I think what people are referring to getting through as a Dodger fan, we've already done that with Court.
Speaker 6: Thank god.
Speaker 14: Leave that as as as it lies. But you know, being a Dodger fan now, we we're expecting you know, six wins a week, you know, five six wins a week, seven wins a week. It just doesn't have been. You know, we're expecting you got these guys just to hit three hundred every year or every every game, every week. It just doesn't happen. Baseball is hard, man. I'm so impressed with what we did against the Yankees, but they throw two hundred some pitches, teeing Sanchez getting him out of there before six. We just fell short. You know, we just ran out of time. This is gonna make us better, obviously, October November is when we're gonna shine when the lights are the brightest. But David, I got one question, brother.
Speaker 6: Catcher, what have you heard?
Speaker 14: I know it's gonna be a while for Will. We can't put a finger on what's going on in this timetable, But what's the scuttle butt as far as getting somebody in there? Back up to get another catcher in the polls?
Speaker 6: Er?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wouldn't mind a catcher too, right, because you need a third catcher in the minor leagues, and the Cardinals have an abundance of those. I wouldn't be surprised to see, you know, the Dodgers maybe have conversations with the Cardinals. Heim Bloom now is the GM in Saint Louis. We all know Andrew Friedman and heim Bloom have a long standing relationship going back to Tampa Bay, and hem Bloom was the GM that traded Mookie Betts to the Dodgers, so there is a relationship there. But I would love to see the Dodgers, you know, look at a veteran catcher that is defense first, like a Luis Torrenz from the Mets or Victor Carrottini from the Twins. I think those two guys would be perfect backups going into the postseason. Torrentz, you know, he may not be a household name in LA, but you ask anybody that's watched him play. He's a great receiver, a great thrower, and his I'm up with some random big hits for the Mets this year, so he would be at the top of my list, especially with a Mets team that is going to sell off everybody not named Juan Soto.
Speaker 14: Yeah, I appreciate it, David. So Dodgers, and I'm hoping to get to Queens on Saturday.
Speaker 6: If I bump into you, hopefully I can buy you beer. Brother, take care of man.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 4: Roy.
Speaker 2: Thanks all right, Roy, thank you for the phone call. Eight sixty six nine seven two five seventy is the phone number. Look, the Dodgers don't have any needs. And you talk about being spoiled. We're talking about what the Dodgers should do at the trade deadline, and we're talking about acquiring a backup catcher. That's how good the Dodgers are. There are no holes right now in this lineup. You're getting back Edwin Diaz, Blake, Trinan Blake, Snell, Tyler Glass. Now you just got Evan Phillips back, who's shaking off that rust. The Dodgers are in a great spot, not to mention they're going to get mister October back Kei A Hernandez. So you tell me what the Dodgers need, I just don't see it. And for all you that jump on and jump off the Taoscar Hernandez bandwagon, I'll warn you don't jump off because you can't spell October without Tao. And I know we talk about Otani, but Taoscar Hernandez. Ever since he's gotten here, the Dodgers have won back to back championships and he's been a big part of it, including right here in Philadelphia in Game one of last year's NLDS when he gave the Dodgers the lead with one swing and that changed everything in that series. Justin Robleski is heading out to the Dodger bullpen. So things are looking good right now to get this game underway at five o'clock Pacific time. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to la Edward. You're on Dodger Talk Live from the Bank in Philly.
Speaker 11: Yeah, you, Dave, thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 2: I tek.
Speaker 11: The most of the call was asked the same questions I was going to ask. I'll be especially on O'tani, like how can you run batting on his knee but it's still pitch? But I guess you answered that right.
Speaker 3: It doesn't make sense, Edward.
Speaker 2: It doesn't make sense for him to dominate at the plate and run on the line to beat out a ground ball.
Speaker 3: That's why I believe.
Speaker 2: There's a very big part of this where the Dodgers are saying, you know what, You're not going to win the cy young Otani sees that why not take a two or three week break to make sure this guy is ready to go for October and the stretch run.
Speaker 3: I just think that makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 2: And I had a former Dodger pitcher call me this morning in Philly in my room, woke me up and we were talking and he brought that to my attention, and I said, you know what, that makes a lot of sense. So my concern level after that conversation about Otani's left knee is a lot lower. I'm not saying there's not an issue, but it just seems like the Dodgers are the best at managing pictures that have any aches or paints, and this might be a bigger one to give them a break during the season.
Speaker 3: And this may be it for Otani.
Speaker 11: Right exactly, Like when he hit the double the other day, you saw him run, he.
Speaker 2: Was hurting that bad, he wouldn't have been able to run the way he runs.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he made a double, would be on.
Speaker 2: The if it was that bad, he'd be on the il. That's why I believe this is more about taking a break as a pitcher to be ready for October as a pitcher and a two way player, right exactly.
Speaker 11: You know, for all those Dodgers founds concerned, like, like you said a couple of minutes ago, we're missing five key players, but we did bets Freddie Tucker, TK Kasker, and we're still have the second best record, and not to mention the three starting pitchers that have been out, and we still have the second best record in baseball, So I'm not concerned about that. One more question. You mentioned that if the game got be laid another hour, the starting pitchers, like Rob Blessi, would not be pitching. Why is that? Why wouldn't they be pitching?
Speaker 3: Well, if the.
Speaker 2: Game started, let's say the game starts and then there's a rain delay for an hour plus. You don't send your pitcher back out there. That's just too long of a time to be sitting around. After the pitcher warmed up, went through his whole pregame, ritual, pitched in the game, and then all of a sudden is sitting and getting cold again for an hour.
Speaker 11: Got you. Yeah, it's about rituals, right, Awesome, Well, it's not about that.
Speaker 2: It's about it's about getting hot and really going to pitch, and then you pitch and then you cool down like the game is over. That is uh, that's reckless to send your pitcher back out there after an hour delay. So that's why teams don't want that to happen anymore.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I got it, I got it.
Speaker 1: So who they put in.
Speaker 2: You would go to a bullpen game where if you had a long reliever back in the day. But that's why the game is not going to start until the weather's clear. And right now, the ground screw thanks for the phone call. Edward is getting ready to take the tarp off because we are going to have baseball first pitches coming up at five o'clock Pacific time. Hey, I want to remind you that coming up a week from this Thursday, we got the all access at Dodgers Stadium and for tickets, go to la sec dot net slash Dodgers all Access to get your tickets la sec dot net slash Dodgers all Access twenty twenty six. For tickets and to get more information for tickets, go to tickets at la sec dot us. Blake Snell's gonna be there, Robleski's going to be there, Keiky Hernandez is going to be there. Dave Roberts will climb alex Vesia. So it's a very exclusive event that I have never been invited to.
Speaker 3: But there you go. There's the ticket information.
Speaker 2: Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. We're gonna take a time out here on Dodger Talk Live from the Bank in Philadelphia and want to share with you my conversation with Vin Scully from twenty twelve. It's a lot of great stories of the boys this summer, and only Vin could share those first hand experiences. So don't go anywhere you'll hear Vin Scully and we'll take more of your phone calls as we lead you up to first pitch between the Dodgers and Phillies coming up at eight o'clock Eastern, five o'clock Pacific time, right here on your back to back world champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 7: World Champions once again, my friend, this.
Speaker 4: Is the home of your world champion a La Dodgers.
Speaker 6: The only way I love to hear my Dodger games.
Speaker 1: Don't miss a moment all season long.
Speaker 2: David Vasse live at the Bank in Philadelphia alongside Rick Monday and Steven Nelson, our producer, engineer Dwayne McDonald, and the tarp has been taken off. We have baseball coming up at five o'clock Pacific time. As the Dodgers and Phillies have been waiting for Mother Nature to cooperate it has. Rick Monday mentioned during the pregame show that he sees another cell of weather coming in at eight o'clock Pacific time eleven Eastern. So it's a good thing that Justin Robleski, a strike thrower, a fast worker, is on the mount for the Dodgers tonight going up against Zach Wheeler, and we will have first pitch coming up with Rick Monday and Steven Nelson at five o'clock Pacific time. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. The way the Dodgers are stacking their lineup against Zach Wheeler is with Otani always leading off as the DH PAZ in center field, Freddie Freeman hitting third, who has had a lot of success against Zach Wheeler. He has Max Munsey in the cleanup spot at third base, Mookie Beds hitting fifth at shortstop. Kyle Tucker, who did not start last night against Sanchez, is back in there in right field. Tommy Edmond, who started at third base last night, will started second base, Alex call hitting eighth, and Fonsi Elizier Alfonso is behind the plate doing the catching tonight. Before we get back to the phone, calls, rain delays, especially especially once that are as extensive as this one, gives us the opportunity to hear the voice of a dear friend, right all of our friends.
Speaker 3: And that was the one and only Vin Scully who called.
Speaker 2: Dodger games for sixty seven glorious seasons.
Speaker 3: And I'll just preface this.
Speaker 2: It was my first season twenty twelve hosting Dodger Talk. I was a nervous wreck when I asked Vin Scully if he could sit down for an interview that I could use fifteen years later whenever necessary. We went back at the time in the press box they had a Dodger Talk studio. We went back there, just me and Vin. He was a dressed to the nines as he always was, and he was gracious enough to give a first year Dodger Talk host some time to ask him questions about his years in Brooklyn. So we started with Jackie Robinson because I had always wondered about a photo of Vin Scully and Jackie Robinson on skates, and I actually showed that photo to Brad Paisley over the weekend in New York and he had never seen it. But it's something that I always saw in programs when I went to Dodger games. So enjoy our conversation from twenty twelve, A young nervous David Bassay with Vince Scully. I was looking back at an old program and had a picture of you and Jackie Robinson on ice skates. I believe it was back in Brooklyn. Talk about those times when you first started and the relationships you cultivated with a man like Jackie Robinson.
Speaker 15: Well, I think, first of all, when I first started. I was the same age as many of the rookie players. I can remember sitting in the back of the bus with Dick Williams, who was a rookie outfielder for the Dodgers who eventually became a Hall of Fame manager. So a lot of years go by, and in those days with Jackie and I, we were sent to the Catskill Mountains. There were a resort up there called Grossingers, pretty famous in the East, and it was dead of winter and we were going to hold a Q and A with the guests and do whatever we could do to entertain. So I brought my ice skates because I was a kid from the East, and I skated and Jackie and Rachel came, and Rachel was about eight months pregnant, and Jackie said, oh, you're going to go skating and I said yeah. He said, well, I'll go with you. I said, okay, so Rachel said I'll go too.
Speaker 12: Well.
Speaker 15: We went to the rink right at Grossingers, and there was a lady named Maureen Mellerrick and she took Rachel off to get her skates, and Jackie and I went in the locker room and Jackie got a pair of rented skates and I was putting on mine and Jackie said, when we get out there, I'd like to race you. And I was shocked, and I said, jack I didn't know that you raced her from southern California. I knew about basketball, I knew about football, but I didn't know you ice skated.
Speaker 12: And he said, oh, I've never been on skates in my life.
Speaker 15: So I looked at him and I said, well, jack I mean, I'm not a great skater, but I can skate, and there's no way that you're going to beat me in a race. And he said, I know, but that's the way I'm going to learn. And that really was the competitive fire inside of Jackie Robins.
Speaker 2: Can you talk about what you went through and how you witnessed everything that he did go through as one of the pioneers not only in baseball but in American society.
Speaker 15: My first taste of what it was like to travel with Jackie was the spring of nineteen fifty and we went from Verra Beach to Texas on our way to Brooklyn. So it was a long, long trip and we came back from Texas through the South and that's when I realized the impact that he had made on the country. Jackie was very forceful, however, with the people if the black community came out, and they did, they were in right field and center field and some of the small ballparks, and Jackie would go out and if he saw one or two, let's say, who were over celebrating, who perhaps had gone to the hard stuff, Jackie would really not ball him out, but he would say to them, this is not.
Speaker 12: The way to behave.
Speaker 15: You can be happy, but you don't want to show some bad habits while trying to be happy. So he was very concerned about the reaction of the black people in the South. But he was a remarkable man. And I've often said this, most of us lose some of our skills when we get angry. Jackie actually excelled when he got angry, certainly on the baseball field. That's why Leo Durocher and other managers used to said, leave him alone, let him sleep, because if you got him angry, he could do the most remarkable things. And I remember in Pittsburgh one time they threw at him and he got angry. So he had a base hit, then he stole second, then he stole third, and then he stole home and so that's the kind of a player he was. The fire in his belly was amazing.
Speaker 2: Talk about another one of the boys this summer that I know you have a fondness for, and that's Gil Hodges, one of the most I would say, underrated first basemen in the history of baseball, overlooked for the Hall of Fame. Could you talk about him and how much of an impact he had, not only in Brooklyn, but in the game of baseball.
Speaker 15: He was a complete player and a complete human being. Gil would be the model for youth of America. He was that straight arrow, that remarkable strong faith, unwavering and following principles. He was really a classic human being. He was also a very very good player. And I certainly don't mean to diminish Tony Perez, who was in the Hall of Fame, but Gil had better numbers, really, and Tony played much longer because Gil was in the Marine Corps. Hodges, I don't understand it. In fact, I had two wishes before I leave this mortal coil. One was for Walder Omalley to get into the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 12: He made it.
Speaker 15: The other is for Gil Hodges, and I cannot understand.
Speaker 12: Why he's not in there. I just don't know.
Speaker 2: Speaking of Walter O'Malley, you started with the Dodgers in nineteen fifty. I've heard so many different ranges of emotions and temperament from mister O'Malley. What was your relationship like?
Speaker 15: After one year with mister Rickey, mister O'Malley took over to give you insight of what kind of a man he was. I was home with my mother and dad and sister and the phone rang one morning in the dead of winter, and I picked it up and the boy said then I said yes. He said, this is Walter O'Malley, and I said, yes, sir. I didn't know him well at all. And he said, I just want you to know that I'm sure you're wondering about the future with the management change. We're happy with your work and we'd be more than happy to have you come back next year. And I said, thank you very much. And you can understand I was quite relieved, and I hung up the phone, and then I was overwhelmed with the feeling. My gosh, it wasn't a secretary who called me. It wasn't a pr man who called me. It wasn't the vice president of communications. It was the boss, Walter O'Malley calling the third announcer. He had the great Red Barber, the equally fine Connie Desmond.
Speaker 12: And I was just a kid.
Speaker 15: I just did a couple of innings here and there. And the fact that he would personally call me to reassure me and to tell me that I could come back gave you an insight into just what kind of a man he was.
Speaker 2: Jack can Cook was very hands on with Chick hern and Bob Miller.
Speaker 3: Was he the same with you?
Speaker 12: No, not at all.
Speaker 15: In fact, I really think one of mister O'Malley's reasons for success he would hire the best people that he could find, and then he would let them do their work, and that was it. I mean, he would oversee, but he never interfered. Never He never said to me, I wish you'd pump more. The only thing he did do was ask me one question when we moved out here, and he said, we're all alone in Los Angeles. Do you think it would be better if you started to root for the team? And I said, mister Malley, I'm raised in New York. Three teams. I was raised to broadcast, saying to myself, it's not only a Dodger fan listening to the game. It's a Giant fan, a Yankee fan, a Cub fan. So I really think I should go down the middle, because that's the only thing I know. He said, if that's your reasoning, fine, we'll go that way. That was typical in him.
Speaker 2: Don Drysdale a great pitcher. What was it like from covering him as a pitcher to being a broadcast partner with him?
Speaker 15: Well, Donn was a competitor anyone who ever saw him pitch. He had that almost sneer on his face as he was attacking the hitter.
Speaker 12: And that's what he did. He attacked the hitter.
Speaker 15: And interestingly enough, when he came up into the booth, where I'm pretty relaxed about whatever happened on the field, not don He was still a player, and he would get angry and he would slam down things, and I would say, easy, big guy, easy, it's just one game. The thing that would anger him the most would be exactly what you would think a player whom he thought was not giving one hundred percent, And if he ever spotted that, if he thought somebody was dogging it or lazy or whatever the word might be. He would be like Mount Vesuvius and I'd be trying to cap a chain easy pow. But yeah, that was don He never quit playing, even when he was in the booth.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: So there was my conversation from twenty twelve with Vince Gully. He finally got his wish. Kill Hodges did make it to the Hall of Fame. And as you can tell, I was a nervous wreck listening to this man my entire life and obviously one of, if not the greatest broadcaster in sports history. He was in my presence and gave me that much time to basically unload all my brain memories questions over my life that I always wanted to ask him and get more in depth about. So hope you enjoyed that. And that is the greatest blessing of this rain delay, that we could bring the voice of Vin Scully back to life. And that's the quality of Vin himself. Right even though he has passed on and he's not with us on this as he would say, mortal coil anymore, He'll live on forever because of the highlights, the broadcast moments that we can always go back to listen to interviews like that. He'll live on forever, just like John Lennon and the Beatles will live on forever, Elvis Presley, that's Vin Scully because their music will always live on. Tom Petty one of my favorites. I went to three or four Tom Petty concerts. I wish I could go to another Tom Petty concert. But you know what I can do is listen to his music Getting ready, driving in the car.
Speaker 3: That is Vince Gully.
Speaker 2: We are so blessed to be able to allow his legacy to always live on. Eight six six nine seven two five seventy is the phone number. David Vasse live at the Bank in Philadelphia as we await first pitch between the Dodgers and Phillies that's coming up at five o'clock Pacific time. We have time for more phone calls, so let's go out to Sam Bernardino. Terry, You're on Dodger Talk with David Vasse. Hi, Terry, Hi.
Speaker 16: Yeah. Will Smith is my all time favorite player, and I'm really wondering how he is actually doing. I understand that he's got inflammation on his neck and such, and I'm just really concerned about how it is hate well for me, and fore, according.
Speaker 2: To Dave Roberts today, Terry, he's pain free and I don't see him coming back until mid August at the earliest. But there's still optimism around the Dodgers that he will be back before the postseason. Let's go out to Cincinnati, Ohio. Kyle, listening on the iHeartRadio app. Hi, Kyle, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 17: Hey, Dave, yep, serious X them and good stuff, so love it.
Speaker 11: Hey.
Speaker 5: I have a trade idea.
Speaker 9: Don't know who the Dodger was sent back, but what would you.
Speaker 5: Think about maybe an innings eater like Brady.
Speaker 17: Singer coming over from the Reds just in the back of the rotation for us.
Speaker 2: And when you say the back of the rotation, they have a six man rotation right now. If you were to bring Brady Singer over, who's the odd man out because he can't go with a seven man rotation And you're getting back Glass now and Snell.
Speaker 3: So who's out?
Speaker 8: Maybe Sheen?
Speaker 3: Maybe?
Speaker 2: Maybe Sheen has not pitched well this year, Kyle. But I just feel like you start to bring in more starters. I guess you could do that if you feel like Sheehan is not doing the job.
Speaker 3: But here's the catch.
Speaker 2: The Dodgers are getting back to starting pitchers after the trade deadline, essentially acquisitions in some way because they haven't had them all season long. And that's Blake Snell and Tyler Glass now, so you're getting back two other starters.
Speaker 3: So I just don't see it.
Speaker 17: Yeah, yeah, I do.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, thank you for the phone call. Appreciate it. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy. Look, the Dodgers are getting Snell and Glass now back.
Speaker 3: They have a six man rotation.
Speaker 2: Most teams don't even have enough pictures to fill a five man rotation, as they're gonna have more than enough pitching. When Snell and Glass now come back, she and May go back to the bullpen, and all of a sudden, now you got a guy that can go multiple innings coming out of the bullpen. So you know, I know injuries can happen, but the last day that you can make a trade is August third, and I just don't feel like bringing in another starting pitcher, whether it's Trek scoobl or Joe Ryan, is going to happen, And quite honestly, I wouldn't want Joe Ryan. Joe Ryan is not made for the lights in my opinion. Let's go out to Antonio and Santa Anna. You're on Dodger Talk. By the way, Joe Ryan gave up six home runs in his last start?
Speaker 3: Six? Did that news make it out to Santa Anna? Antonio?
Speaker 18: Go ahead, I interrupted you shame on me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you hear about Joe Ryan giving up six home runs? Antonio? Did that make it out there?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 18: I did hear that, and it doesn't surprise me.
Speaker 3: Okay, what do you got, Antonio?
Speaker 18: Well, Dave, I just want to say thank you first and foremost for sharing that amazing interview with the greatest Vin Scully. I know a lot of Dodger fans were very lots of words, lots of mix of emotions. Hearing all that going on and even hearing you is awesome, So thank you for sharing.
Speaker 16: David.
Speaker 18: That was pretty cool man.
Speaker 3: I'm glad you enjoyed it.
Speaker 2: Antonio, that's the best part about a rain delay to be able to bring that out of the archives. But you can hear a guy that was still raw in me and nervous and then being as gracious as ever to tell those stories. I mean, he really was generous with his time and was as candid as you can be with some of those stories that he shared.
Speaker 18: Yeah, exactly, you said it best. But I also want to say, Dave, I feel the same nervous wreck when I talk to you.
Speaker 3: Oh Starvin, No, you don't.
Speaker 18: I squear to you. In twenty twenty, when I called after the Dodgers crushed the Braves, I just got super nervous. I'm surprised I made it through that.
Speaker 8: Call with you.
Speaker 2: All good, Antonio. You don't need to be nervous with the guy like me. But I appreciate the phone call. On Antonio. I stumbled on a tweet from somebody that played the highlights quick highlights big moments of Game seven of the twenty NLCS between the Braves and Dodgers. I had forgotten some of those big moments, so check it out. I think it's out there.
Speaker 6: I will absolutely do that.
Speaker 4: Dave.
Speaker 18: You're very important with Dodger fans. Two Am five seventy. We love you at our home here, our whole family. Baby on the way she loves you already, so we love you.
Speaker 6: Keep it going.
Speaker 2: Hey, love you too. Thank you, Antonio, God bless you and your family. Let's go out to Riverside home with the Austin Barnes hy Peter, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 9: You and Antonio want to get a room or what. I'm just kidding.
Speaker 2: Hey, yeah, he got emotional, he got emotional. Peter, You're just ruined a great moment. Yea, I guess you're a hater, Peter.
Speaker 3: Living in Riverside, I wouldn't expect anything less.
Speaker 9: No, I'm just kidding, Dave, I love you for real. But a quick question. So I'm tell you when the shock when.
Speaker 17: The Dodgers released Barnes last year.
Speaker 9: So how about you know getting an.
Speaker 2: Before you go on with that, let's just establish you're not part of the Barnes family, because they are very big and Riverside. The Barnes family is aware what al Capone was to Chicago.
Speaker 8: I'm aware.
Speaker 9: No, I'm not part of the Barnes family, but.
Speaker 17: I am a big Barnes fan and I thought he was a good part of the team last year, and I was shocked that he was relieved. But now that we need a catcher, you know, hop.
Speaker 6: Out we call Barby.
Speaker 2: Well, he's enjoying the retired life, even though he hasn't done it officially. He was on with Petro some money at some bar out there in Rancho Cucamonga. He went on with Striker at a bar. He's tanned, he's swallen, he looks happy. I think his playing days are behind him. He might even be on peptides. I don't even know.
Speaker 9: All right, David, thank you for answering that question.
Speaker 3: All right, Peter, thank you for the phone call.
Speaker 2: Look, there's other catchers out there not named Austin Barnes or Ben Rhortfitt. Okay, there are other catchers out there not name Roortfitt or Barnes. As much as I love both those guys, I gave you the two names that I would love to have with the Dodgers if they could pull off a trade. It does take two to tango, and I do. I am a believer, especially now that there is a Dodger's tax. So whatever teams are asking from other teams, they're going to ask more from the Dodgers. So I was thinking Luis Porentz from the Mets. I was thinking Victor Carrottini from the Twins. So there are guys that are willing and able out there that are not named Ben Rortfitt or Austin Barnes. And by the way, you bring back Ben Rohtfitt on the Dodgers, what do you think that's going to do to the psyche of Dalton Rushing. You have to put that into the equation as well. Let's go out to Gino Lynn. You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing Lynn?
Speaker 6: Hey, Dave, mister smooth love you man. Hey, that interview with Fully was awesome. Man. I never get tired of that. I've heard it several times, and I make sure I listened to the whole thing.
Speaker 10: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you ignore me and you just focus on Vin. That's the point of it.
Speaker 6: Nah, you're sticking around for a reason. You're amazing. Hey, listen, Dave. One year Dwight Howard was in high school, everybody went out to public pavilion, Tim play right, and star after star kept coming into the house. I had my wife with me. She doesn't usually like to go and where crowds are, and she's like, uh, we were seeing all the stars and then we saw Vin Scotti. She says, who's the old white guy with the white hair with his white there. I says, he's only the most popular guy, only the most popular guy who ever lived in the sports world. And then everybody lined up to talk to him. The crowd went crazy. I talked to Ben. He was so grateful. He's an amazing guy, amazing smile the whole time. But to tell you how popular and how wonderful that guy is, man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no doubt, Lynn, I gotta run. The national anthem is about to start. We're gonna take a time out here and thank you for the phone call. We're gonna take a time out here from the bank in Philadelphia.
Speaker 3: When we continue, will lead.
Speaker 2: You up to first bitch between the Dodgers and Phillies Robleski versus Wheeler right here on the back to back world champion Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 3: We got to be prepared to play through October.
Speaker 1: Three peat loading.
Speaker 4: It's world champion Dodgers Baseball on the world class LA Dodgers Audio Network.
Speaker 2: We are getting closer to first pitch between the Dodgers and Phillies, Robleski versus Wheeler, Rick Monday and Steven Nelson.
Speaker 3: We'll have the call at the top of the hour.
Speaker 2: This game was supposed to start at six forty Eastern time, three forty Pacific time, so we've been in quite a rain delay waiting for mother nature to cooperate. Our understanding is there is another rainstorm coming in at about eleven Eastern times, so want to get this game in quickly so there is not another delay at the back end of this game. And they got two good guys to be able to get this game moving at a quick pace with Justin Robleski the strikethrower, the attacker, and Zach Wheeler on the mound. I will say this, Zach Wheeler dominates the rest of Major League Baseball.
Speaker 3: There are a lot of Dodgers that have made Zach.
Speaker 2: Wheeler look very human, including Freddie Freeman and Max Munsey. Tonight's game brought to you by Modello Modello the Mark of a Fighter. Let's take one more phone call before we hand things over to Rick Monday and Steven Nelson.
Speaker 3: Let's go out to Honolulu, Hawaii.
Speaker 2: Gil, you are going to walk us off on this rain delay edition of Dodger Talk.
Speaker 8: Will Aloha alohaha. I listened to that interview with Vince Gohe and I brought that many memories. I went to elementary school with Danny Ozark's son. We went to school together, and he used to tell us that Don Drysdale and Duke Snyder world at the house.
Speaker 3: That was like years amazing.
Speaker 8: What I wanted to question is O'shani. O'tani had his knee operated on when he was with the Angels. I was wondering if it's the same need that he seems to be having problems.
Speaker 2: With it is he had his kneecap fused, because when he was born, most of us have one bone for our kneecap. His was in two separate bones, and they had that fused in September of twenty nineteen. So yes, that is still the same bone, and who knows. You know, he did not have his knee drained. He had a lubricant injection, so maybe he needed that because of the bone situation, the kneecap situation, Gil. But like I said, my concern level is a lot lower after talking to a former Dodger pitcher this morning because he has been through the Dodger's load management during the season. And look, everybody can still enjoy Otani the hitter. They're just gonna have to wait a few weeks for Otani the pitcher. Eight six six nine eight seven two five is the phone number. That's the phone number for tomorrow because we're backing out of here now. We're getting set for first pitch between the Dodgers and Phillies. Rick Monday and Steven Nelson on the call right around the corner, live from the bank with the Philly fanatic and rain gear and a poncho.
Speaker 3: This is going to be a great game. Don't go anywhere.
Speaker 2: Rick and Steven will have the words I view when we return to the bank in Philadelphia, or when you return to the bank in Philadelphia. Thanks to colling you back at our burd Bank Studios, Thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here in Philadelphia, and thanks to you for listening in case you missed any of the show. Just like postgame Dodger Talk, you can find rain Delay Dodger Talk on the iHeartRadio app Dodgers Phillies Robleski Wheeler next right here on the back to back World Champion Dodgers Audio Network GI I just down and footing on these lugs came