Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talker.
Speaker 2: Happy fourth of July, we are with America's super reliever, actually the Dodger super reliever, Evan Phillips, who has emerged from Oklahoma City forty days, forty nights on a rehab appearance on the verge of returning from Tommy John Rehab. Evan, Happy forth, and thanks a lot for the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Happy forth. What a great day to be back. Yeah right.
Speaker 2: You get the flashy new hats, flashy jerseys, and you get the music behind us.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, it's hopefully going to be an exciting night.
Speaker 1: I get to see my family tonight for essentially the first time in a month.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I'm really excited to be back.
Speaker 2: I'm sure your youngest is doing a lot more things than they were doing before you left.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: I was telling my wife, Millie's got to slow down with the whole like growing up things.
Speaker 3: She's getting way too big, too fast. It's crazy.
Speaker 2: What was it like being away that long in Oklahoma City trying to get fine tuned for your return?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I'm physically speaking, being being in Oklahoma City. I tried my best just to really immerse myself with the team and lean into those teammates down there that I have and you know, be a soundboard for guys answer questions as needed.
Speaker 3: Uh, you have to want to ask questions. I tried to open myself up to that.
Speaker 1: And then, you know, on my side of things that rehab wise, just trying to stack good days, you know, just one thing after another. Once I started getting into games, my mindset was just you know, initially really focused on recovery and keeping my arm in good shape, and then about the halfway point really started to flip the script into you know, starting to dominate outings and execution and scouting hitters to a certain extent.
Speaker 3: Getting ready for what I'm gonna have to do here.
Speaker 2: How close are you to returning, Dave Roberts. I've talked about this homestand but you being here is a great sign things went well.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I did pitch last night in Oklahoma City, so I don't believe I'm act to it tonight for this game, but I'll be ready whenever they need me. I think they might have a and in place, but whenever they tell me, I'm you can clean up and get back in the pen.
Speaker 3: I'll be ready to go.
Speaker 2: It's been a long road, Evan, at this point, what feelings do you have so close to being activated and being back in that bullpen.
Speaker 1: It's a lot, Yeah, I think rehab is it's very time consuming. My brain has been so focused on this process for so long. I sure hope when I do get back on the mound for the first time, I'll I'll be able to really take it in and I appreciate what this last year has meant for hopefully for the rest of my career. Right, So it's going to be probably a little bit emotional for about five seconds, so'll give myself and then be right back to work.
Speaker 2: What was the process like for you? What was the journey like for you to get back here?
Speaker 3: Well, you know, I was.
Speaker 1: I kept on telling myself that it was pretty chopped up, right, So I had surgery in June fourth of last year, and for the first couple of months, I wasn't really able to do a whole lot, you know, just kind of in your slaying in the brace.
Speaker 3: You don't get to do much activity as it is.
Speaker 1: So as I got out of the brace, the postseason was coming around, so I was starting to physically do more.
Speaker 3: The team was doing more.
Speaker 1: And I got pretty good distraction to have right chasing another World Series ring. So that was a good distraction, and then rolled right into the offseason when I started playing catch and dealing with free agency was interesting for sure, But I just feel like there's been chunks of rehab that have made it go by a little bit faster.
Speaker 3: We welcomed our daughter in March.
Speaker 1: My son turned three in April, so there's just been big events, you know, early across every every month or two that I've helped keep this thing going at.
Speaker 3: A decent pace.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a lot of life events to go along with the baseball light.
Speaker 3: Yeah, without a doubt. You're like my wife and I we I think we.
Speaker 1: Try to do a good job of really leaning into the life aspect of being a baseball player, not just the baseball side of it. And having that healthy dynamic at home.
Speaker 3: I think it really helps us a lot.
Speaker 2: I can tell when you go through that whole year timeline. When I saw you the first day in your sling, the mood was obviously not as great as it is right now. I did your mood start to get better as you got closer to throwing and getting closer to this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yea.
Speaker 1: I think it kind of went in waves, right, So I kind of felt helpless in a sling, you know, that's when you really feel like you can't do much. And then once the activity really started to ramp up, my throwing started to ramp up. I think the hardest part was around spring training, when I was really starting to look the part again. But I just had so much tolerance to rebuild, you know, so that was probably the hardest.
Speaker 3: Was You're watching games on.
Speaker 1: TV feeling you're feeling really good, but not quite to the point where I can come contribute. So you chipped away at the those mile markers.
Speaker 3: And you know, here we are.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: I feel like I speak for your teammates, I speak for the fans. When I saw Evan Phillips, when I first saw you in the clubhouse at Dodger Stadium today, I was really happy to see you because not only the picture, but what you stand for as a person, as a dad, as a father, as a friend. And certainly we're happy to have you back and looking forward to you officially being activated. So thank you for the time.
Speaker 3: Yes, sure, anytime, Dave. Thank you