Speaker 1: This is America's Trucking Network with Kevin Gordon.
Speaker 2: Welcome Moore, thanks for tuning in on this Friday morning. Well ATN is now back on its familiar surroundings. But I gotta tell you, leaving that gay Lord opry Land Resort and Convention Center area was really tough to do. You know. They always say it's great to be back home, but honestly, I could have spent a few more days there. Our room overlooking the atrium, and that atrium is about the size of a football field or more, and it's in an oval shape and you look across and you can see the other rooms with their balconies overlooking the area down below. You saw all these plants, waterfalls, ponds, bridges over the different water features and everything. As many plants as you can imagine. It was like being in a junk well basically an arboretum more or less conservatory if you will, some of these spectacular conservatories that are around in different cities.
Speaker 1: And just the whole atmosphere.
Speaker 2: With it being around Christmas, with the lights and the music that they were playing and listening, you know, opening the doors to the balcony and listening to all the people having fun everything that you can imagine, I mean all the different shops and this was just our atrium. There are two other atriums that are just as large. And this complex down there was just absolutely massive, and from one area to the other, just walking around, the beauty of the whole thing was just incredible.
Speaker 1: But again, you know, they say it's good to get home.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is good to get home, But like I said, I could have hung out there a couple more days. We got to use weekly jobless claims fall as seasonally volatility persists. The number of Americans filing new applications for unemployment benefits fell last week, reversing the prior week's surge and suggesting the labor market conditions remained stable in December, which is what we were been saying all along, and especially with the numbers spiking last week, and we mentioned that, okay, all right, it's spiked last week, but went down dramatically the previous week, and then when you look at the moving average that it only changed like by two thousand jobs. So you know, it's not like there's I mean, it's kind of like a seesaw, but not anything's you know, major variations over the four week period of time. Week to week, it jumped a little bit, went down considerably. The week before, initial claims for stated unemployment benefits dropped thirteen thousand to them seasonally adjusted two hundred and twenty four thousand for the weekend in December thirteenth, the Labor Department set on Thursday. Economists polled by RUTTERS had forecast two hundred and twenty five thousand claims for the week, so pretty much, you know, just one thousand off, economists say President Donald trump sweeping tariffs have caused an unexpected shock for businesses who have responded by pulling back on increasing headcounts.
Speaker 1: I get this, all right.
Speaker 2: A survey of five hundred and forty eight chief financial officers spanning firms with one to more than one thousand employees, conducted by the Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond and Atlanta in conjunction with Duke Universities Fuqua School of Business showed on Wednesday they continue to cite tariffs as a top concern. All right, evidence my question? What evidence are they seeing? What can they specifically point to in terms of what the tariffs are doing in terms of them holding back on their head count Other than maybe they're not so sure of their business and they don't have their finger as on the pulse that they should, in my opinion, The claims data covered the period during which the government surveyed businesses and nonfarm payroll components of December employment report. Nonfarm payrolls increased by sixty four thousand in November. Bureau of Labor Statistics said on Tuesday, December's employment report will be released on schedule in January. Now what's interesting here is when they get into this. Now, I heard this number the other day and I was like, what are Because we keep hearing no fire, no hire, no fire policy. We are seeing weekly unemployment claims basically within the range of what they say is a normal average anywhere from two hundred and ten thousand per week up to two hundred and fifty thousand, and it's all varied within that range over these last several months and going even back to last year. So in terms of the number of people filing from those aren't going up, and so how this number came up. And they're saying that although the unemployment rate was four point six percent in November, all right, four point six percent three months ago was four point one percent, then they jumped at the four point two, then to four point three, and now they've elevated to four point six.
Speaker 1: Based on what what evidence? Where are they seeing? And quite honestly, where are they getting their numbers? Now? Get this? Although the unemployment.
Speaker 2: Rate was four point six percent in November, the highest in September of twenty twenty one, it was distorted by technical factors related to the forty three day government shutdown, which caused the BLS not to publish the jobs rate jobless rate for October, the longest shutdown in history, prevented the collection of data from households needed to calculate October's unemployment rate. Well, if you don't have the data, if you don't have the accurate information, why publish it and why put it out there? Back during the previous Trump administration, we discovered how many people embedded in government dislike Donald Trump, how many of them dislike Republicans in particular, dislike Republicans Donald Trump in particular, and how they did their best to undermine his presidency. And I got to ask the question here with these Bureau of Labor statistics, are the right people in there?
Speaker 1: Because if they don't have the data.
Speaker 2: If they say they didn't collect enough data and the numbers are not necessarily accurate, why the hell would you publish it? Because you know, the spoon fed regurgitators in the mainstream media are going to glom on to any negative information and push that narrative out there. And I got to tell you, America's truck and network has been way ahead of the curve on this. I have been saying pretty much since Liberation Day, back in April to second and maybe even before then.
Speaker 1: I'd have to go back and look.
Speaker 2: But the spoon fed regurgitators in the mainstream meet us since twenty fifteen when Donald Trump came down that escalator in Trump Tower, ninety some percent of the coverage of him has been negative. When he won the presidency, they didn't even think he was going to win, so the polling there, the lies that the media told us then as far as the rate of their polls and everything were wrong. And then all during his presidency, all they did negative coverage ninety some percent, and the narrative hasn't changed even up to this point. And so with ninety some percent negative coverage of not only the individual, of his economic policies and so on. No wonder there is a bad taste in people's mouth in terms of what's going on.
Speaker 1: As far as the economy.
Speaker 2: We had four years of out of control inflation nine point one percent in one year and about four point three percent on average through the entire Biden administration. And now all of a sudden, people are concerned about affordability. People are concerned about inflation when it's half of what it was, less than half of what it was during the Biden administration. And I've said all along, I think the spoon fed regurgitators of mainstream media are trying to talk down this economy and create a recession. They are trying to manufacture a recession because of their lousy journalistic instincts. And so when they publish a number like this, and you know, the people in the government, again, I'm not so sure how many of these people.
Speaker 1: Are really in faith.
Speaker 2: And if you're and if you're trying to downgrade the economy, you got to not particularly like the country, because if that's bad, then people are going to suffer. Policymakers at Federal Reserve last week US Central Bank overnight rate interest rate, they cut it by another twenty five base point. We know all about that tap it hiring is causing long without touts, routes abouts, I should say, of unemployment. And those numbers basically are staying about the same. They're up and down a little bit. So this weekly job was claimed, it fell, and it's been falling. It's been within a relative range. But I wonder where in the hell they're coming up with this four point six number. And I guarantee you, guarantee you, I'm going to go out on land here. I'm going to predict the next one comes out that it's closer to four point two four point one coming up, we're going to be talking with Mitch. Play the interview I had with Mitch Davison. He is the head of all of Rush Truck Center's collision centers throughout the country. I'm Kevin Gordon, America's truck in Network seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: Seven hundred and WLW.
Speaker 2: I'm Kevin Gordon as America's struck in Network. I have a pleasure of speaking with Mitch Davison. He is the director of collision centers for all of truck enterprises. He is located out of the New Bronzefelle's location down in Texas, and as part of the trade show itself, there was a collision competition at one of the local the Nashville Body Shop, and so tell us a little bit about that. And of course this being now here in Nashville as opposed to being in San Antonio, there was a whole lot of logistics involved in getting us here.
Speaker 1: Correct.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so typically this competition takes place in San Antonio every year. The original competition was kicked off in Nashville back in the end of two thousand and six, so we returned here for our twentieth anniversary this year. But yeah, like you talked about our body shop competition, so we have it's split into two categories. We have a body repair section and a paint competition as well. Five of our top body guys and five of the top paint guys all come to compete, and those guys test for full day Saturday or I'm sorry, full day kick. We kicked the competition off Sunday morning. They test for a full day Sunday and a full day Monday. Like we were discussing a little while ago, we kicked competition off a little early on our side because customer uptime is a huge goal of ours, and we do have to take care of that competition over at the body shop because, like you said, no, we don't have a hard to get a paint booth in your back pocket and move it across town to spray.
Speaker 4: Some paint in the middle of a convention center.
Speaker 3: So we shuttle those guys over to the body shop and the five of them compete for paint and the five four body and we want to give a huge shout out to our main support vendors for the collision center competition.
Speaker 4: Three M puts on the body repair competition.
Speaker 3: They create the written test that these guys qualify on in the middle of the year and then bring in a handful of judges and take care of the entire body repair competition. And then on the paint side, we have our paint manufacturer Exalta. Those guys do the same with a written test that the paint guys qualify on and come in once again with a handful of judges, one judge per competitor over there, because they're watching a lot of process procedures, how they're using the products or they using the correct products. All that good stuff so it's a it's a sight to see. I'm glad you were able to get over there a little bit on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was a blast on Sunday being able to get over there to see that, because again it's well my first time and i've i'm not been aware of that, but to watch these technicians work through that and to see how the competition develops. The competition this year was well, one of the fenders they had cracked off the corner and the punch two holes in it, and you have to repair that and then get it ready for and then the final product do they actually painted or is it just.
Speaker 3: On the body side. So this year three M put together a few different practicing I'm not practicing, but the few different different smaller competitions inside the main praetition. So they did some plastic repair, they did fiberglass fender repair, and like I said, three M gives them a toolbox with all of their available products in it and gives them free rein, so they're watching that the correct products are selected, that those products are used correctly. They're judging the final repair on all of those parts and pieces that they use. And on our paint side, we had two big fiberglass double hump rear drive fenders, and those guys this year they changed it up. They were given our three remain Rush colors, so they needed to prep that fender, and.
Speaker 1: Now prep that they had to do the primer correct.
Speaker 3: They sanded it down, primed it, got it ready in good condition to paint, and they were given, like I said, given our three Rush colors and free reign creativity.
Speaker 4: Do what you like.
Speaker 2: I heard that end of it when I was there, but I had to leave early to come over here and set the booth on them.
Speaker 1: And one of the guys came by.
Speaker 2: I think he I think he told me, well, he didn't know whether he was in the finals or not. But the fender that he did had the Rush logo on it and it was I think a reddish it was the and it they knowing what the product was beforehand and seeing this afterwards is phenomenal.
Speaker 4: Turned out phenomenal. I mean splitting.
Speaker 3: Hairs to to rank these competitors, and I keep mentioning, guys, we do have a female who competes in our paint competitions too, has.
Speaker 4: Been here to last four years.
Speaker 1: Uh huh.
Speaker 4: She is also not an entry level technician anymore.
Speaker 3: But she came to us very young, and so it's awesome that she's made it four years in a row.
Speaker 4: I'm probably gonna keep refer in all of them as guys just.
Speaker 1: Right, exactly exactly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So it's awesome.
Speaker 2: They were yeah that she would be and and you know, maybe you can talk to her at some point and then maybe down the road, I'd love to talk to her on air during the regular regular you know, away from the show so on, because I don't think we have enough time to get everybody involved here. But I was very surprised to see that because that is not and we've talked with a number of people in the trucking industry. I've talked with a number of people in the trucking industry over the years, and this is one of the things that that most people that the trucking industry is not the normal career path that you would in the past was.
Speaker 1: Expected for women.
Speaker 2: But there are more and more and they are thriving in this business. So to let people know about that, I think is just opens up a whole host of abilities or career paths for women.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, the trade is an awesome one to get into. I think the trades are making a turn back around again. College was pushed, you know for many years, and the trades kind of fell off, right. But I think the trade there's a lot of people have come to the realization that the trades are an awesome place to be. I don't have to go to college for four years if I don't want to. I can learn on the job. I can make good money. But back to your point, the women coming into the industry, we are seeing it more and more, and we have customers that like that. They find them slightly more detail oriented in some situations. So it's worked out. It works great for us.
Speaker 1: I'm talking with Mitch Davison.
Speaker 2: He is the director of collision Centers for Rush Rush Enterprises out of New Brunsville run run phil Fells, Texas.
Speaker 1: And that is again when I've talked.
Speaker 2: To a lot of people throughout the trade show and how many of them are in the business because a relative or a frame of a father where it was involved in the business. And so this is now a situation where you have the females coming in. They are the trail blazers, if you will. I'm sure they don't like being called that. They just want to be one of the boys basically exactly. But the mere fact that that's available and people know about that, I think is important as well.
Speaker 4: It is, And like I said, you know, it's great.
Speaker 3: We have quite a few women coming into the industry now, whether that be service or body shop. So definitely a field to keep in the back of your mind. Even it's not reserved just to the old guys anymore. Yeah, that the guys that you know are leaning over the engine bay with cigarette hanging.
Speaker 4: Out of their mouth.
Speaker 3: It's not the old days, it, you know, We've come a long way.
Speaker 2: But yeah, yeah, Gar are the days that you can sit in the studio, do a show and spoke as cigar. For God's sake, I got into this business way too late.
Speaker 4: Now you're going to travel the country and talk to guys like me.
Speaker 1: All the time, well, which is a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: So yeah, but uh yeah, the industry has evolved considerably, and the fact that the Rush enterprises values their customers and values their employees as much to broaden this show and the competition to all levels of the company is just absolutely incredible. I'd like to pick this up on the other side because I want to continue the conversation and talk about you, how you got involved in the business and basically how you got here.
Speaker 1: Sure, and we'll talk about that coming up.
Speaker 2: I'm Kevin Gordon America struck In Network seven hundred WLW. I'm Kevin Gordon, America, struck In Network, seven hundred WLW. Continue our conversation with Mitch Davison. He is director of collision Centers for all of Rush Enterprises out of the New Brunfels, Texas location, And we had talked earlier about the logistics of getting everything up here. The mere fact that not only as we talked about the vendors being here, four hundred and forty different vendors who support this show, that because of.
Speaker 1: Their relationship with Rush Enterprises.
Speaker 2: The fact that they pay for the event, the event is completely covered by them, and that the amount of money that they spend getting their vehicles here and all that.
Speaker 3: So it's yeah, so of course I want to give a huge shout out and thank you to all of our vendors. You know, I know you guys are listening to us right now, but me and Kevin are sitting here on the trade show floor with dozens and dozens and dozens of booths here from all of our vendors. Like mentioned, all of these guys sponsored the event to cover it. We're going to give away a ton of cash and prizes to all of our winning competitors. This even at three hundred thousand dollars worth of cashing prizes to those guys tonight. So yes, if it wasn't for our vendors, this event would not take place. So huge thank you to those guys exactly taking care of them.
Speaker 2: Talk about you a little bit here because a couple of people have talked about your career path, So I want to ask you, how did you come about getting into the Did you start off this way?
Speaker 4: Actually?
Speaker 3: Know, I kind of fell into the automotive service side, where I made the majority of my career up to this point with Toyota. So I come from an automotive background and was introduced to Russian prizes and actually by my now current boss, Victor Cummings, and we worked together for probably a year trying to get me over to the company and a position, and.
Speaker 4: I finally was able to make the jump to the company.
Speaker 3: I have moved through a couple of different positions over the last few years, which has been fantastic for me. I've been able to really grow and apply myself and you know, learn a ton. So I did not come up in the in the heavy duty industry. I did not come up at all in the collision industry. So this has been a huge learning experience for me over the last ten to eleven months now.
Speaker 4: But it's been great.
Speaker 3: The body shop side is a very tight knit group. We still have over three hundred technicians in the collision centers across the company. But it doesn't matter what shop you walk into, they're all just like you've known them forever.
Speaker 4: Uh huh.
Speaker 3: So it's been great. So yeah, most of my experience was from the automotive side.
Speaker 2: That speaks well of rush enterprises. The fact that the promoter and I keep hearing this from people over and over and over again. The two things I keep hearing promotion from within, working from the ground up, everything geared towards the customer, making sure that the customer is satisfied, that we take care of their needs, like not shutting down your body shop on a Monday in order to have a competition. You have it on Sunday in order for people to get the competition.
Speaker 3: Does give us one last day of downtime. But yeah, back to your point of the you know, the team we have here. Of course, we want to promote from within. We've already got you know, awesome employees in the company. So let those guys grow and move to the next position and uh, you know, continue developing their career and move as far.
Speaker 4: As they want.
Speaker 3: Some guys never want to move off the shop floor, and that's yeah, you know, they love what they do, they love fixing trucks. And but then you've got a lot of guys that want to be in a VP position one day too, So definitely want to leave that opportunity open to them to to continue to grow and finish their career wherever they want it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well the sky's the limit.
Speaker 2: I mean, whatever somebody wants to make out of it, they could make out of it.
Speaker 1: Exactly on from there.
Speaker 2: And so again you said you didn't come from this from the.
Speaker 1: Original, but here you are now.
Speaker 2: So when you talk to younger people, well, what do you or what would you say to them in terms of if somebody's out there struggling and they're trying to figure out what career path I want to go, what would you say.
Speaker 3: So, We do a lot of in house training growing entry level technicians. We have an internship program to bring those guys in. They can work for us part time even while they're in high school if they'd like to trade school, get their feet wet in the in the industry, in the shop, and kind of shake off those nerves because you walk into a shop, it's it can be very intimidated. Yeah, we get them in part time and let them kind of work their way up the food chain and grow and acquire tools and whatever.
Speaker 2: And for me young person's perspective again, we're speaking with Mitch Davison. He is the director of Collision and Centers for all of Rush Truck centers. The fact that the mentorship program, the internship program is there, it actually gives somebody an opportunity to try something hands on exactly.
Speaker 4: You know what.
Speaker 1: This isn't necessarily for me, I'm going to go on to something else.
Speaker 3: And we would much rather find that out in the beginning. It's not going to work out for either one of us if you don't want to be here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think a lot of people the older they get or they get you know, because in the past there used to be kind of like a, oh, I don't you have your parents and they have their jobs or job and you're surrounding friend their friends and so you know about that. And we talked to somebody before and they said, well, you know, I always heard about doctors, lawyers, that kind of thing. And then whoever, I think in terms of uh, collision repair, that's not something that's normally on people's radars exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But to have this whole world open to you and at a young age try to figure out what you like and get into that and thrive.
Speaker 3: So many options nowadays with the internet and social media, you know, you have your view is open to anything you can imagine at this point, like you said, you're not kind of confined to you know, what your your parents or your family may have done. So but back to the younger generation, what I would tell them, keep your mind open, don't let somebody force you to go to college, don't let somebody force you to go straight to the industry.
Speaker 4: There's options both ways.
Speaker 3: That can that can one hundred percent work out for you in a successful career.
Speaker 2: And as we mentioned before, the women, uh, now you have a you know at least one of the competitors was female.
Speaker 3: Correct, We do have a female competitor on our paint side. She has been here for the last four years, if I remember correctly, pretty much all four years that she's been with the company actually, and I'd mentioned social media a little while ago. She likes to use social media to show what she does working in the paint department and in the collision center.
Speaker 4: So yeah, it's.
Speaker 3: Tons of tons of options out there that that may not have been the direction somebody would have wanted to go in fifteen twenty three years.
Speaker 2: And again, the people that are that are involved in the trades that are now thinking or people that weren't involved before are thinking in terms of that saying, yes, this is something that I could do.
Speaker 1: The career path is good.
Speaker 2: I can make money at it, which is I guess, well not, I guess it is. It is very It is you know the name of the game, and something that you enjoy exactly.
Speaker 3: Some of these guys you talk to them, and you know, I love coming to work every now.
Speaker 4: I love working on stuff. I always like being in the shop.
Speaker 3: The main reason the instant gratification when I fix something. You know, it's just hey, I did that, and uh, you know, I always loved that feeling, so just lots of But.
Speaker 2: I got to thank you for your hospitality the other day of being able to come over and watch everything.
Speaker 4: And see it in person.
Speaker 1: You know, a lot of people's return.
Speaker 3: Sure, a lot of people have their ideas of what's going on over there, and we try to showcase it here once again since we can't be here just due to the logistics of needing a paint booth and and lots of fiberglass mondo dust.
Speaker 4: Flying everywhere and and all of that.
Speaker 3: So it's a very eye opening experience when you can see it, and it's awesome to watch those paints come to life and the body repair whatever they're working on come back to one full piece.
Speaker 2: There's definitely an art to it, and they are their artists. Again, seeing that final piece that that guy put together and stopped by the booth and showed me, I was blown away, especially in the confined time frame that he had basically one day, just amazing. Well, I can't thank you enough for stopping by. I certainly appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Again.
Speaker 2: We'll throughout the year, maybe check in and for sure we'll talk a little bit about what's going on in the industries, talk about what's going on as far as you are concerned, it sounds great.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we'll keep in touch and we'll get you some updates throughout the year.
Speaker 1: Fantastic you.
Speaker 2: Mitch Davison, Director of Collision Centers for Rush Truck Centers. I'm Kevin Gordon, America's Trucking Network, seven hundred W l W. This is America's Trucking Network, seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 1: I'm Kevin Gordon.
Speaker 2: We got the numbers yesterday or earlier, well, yesterday morning, i should say, the consumer price Index, which had been delayed the previous month.
Speaker 1: And they released that.
Speaker 2: And again, this is one of those situations where I read the headlines, I look at the story. The story sometimes doesn't match what the headlines are saying. And I'm questioning a lot of the stuff that's being said about this consumer price index. Last night, let me see it was it would have been what would it have been Wednesday?
Speaker 1: Wednesday night?
Speaker 2: They were well, well, before I went on the air, we talked about they were talking about consumer price index being at three percent and that this is higher than what it had been in the previous month, and and it kind of showed that inflation was elevated, and I said, where was that, because it's not supposed to be released and I looked into that, and it's not supposed to be released until Thursday morning. And so they were this is what they were saying, the three percent number that inflation had gone up. But that was their predictions, and that was from these economists that we're talking about, this not the actual data. And let Mery remind you the saying about economists and economists is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn't happen today. And this is exactly the situation here. Consumer price index rose at two point seven percent, not three percent, and the headline says prices rose at two point seven percent rate lower than expected. How many times have we heard headlines since the beginning of the year retail sales higher than expected, new car sales higher than expected, home prices or home sales, new home sales higher than expected, unemployment lower than expected. All along we've been hearing this, and yet everybody wants to try to downplay and talk down the economy. And I'm starting to hear a little bit more and more about people saying that, you know what, it seems like the spoonfl What they're saying is the mainstream media isn't giving us the accurate detail.
Speaker 1: Well, no kidding. Did they give us the accurate information.
Speaker 2: About COVID that not only COVID, but how it spread, what it was all about, where it came from. Did they tell us the truth about what was going on as far as the election was concerned in twenty twenty. Did they tell us the information properly about the polls about the twenty sixteen election? Did they tell us about Joe Biden's mental capabilities and whether or not he was competent to be in office?
Speaker 1: Was that accurate?
Speaker 2: Was the Russian hoax accurate or any of these other hoaxes that are going on. As far as the Trump administration and Donald Trump, have they been accurate? And yet for some reason people still glom on to what the hell those people are saying. I don't know why anybody believes anything they've said, because again, everything they've talked about, who are the predictions about tariffs are going to cause a recession that's going to lead to out of control inflation, going to lead to a lot of layoffs and yet how much of that has come about?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 2: Some of the headlines that were as a result of this stock market Today.
Speaker 1: This is from Yahoo Finance.
Speaker 2: Stock Market Today Dow S and P and Nasdaq rise as CPI inflation eases in November. The Wall Street journals stock Market Today, Dow S and P five hundred jump on soft inflation.
Speaker 1: Readout. Then we get to CNN.
Speaker 2: Inflation cooled in November to two point seven but economists say to take it with the entire salt shaker, not a grain of salt, but the entire assault shaker.
Speaker 1: How accurate is that? So we'll see.
Speaker 2: Consumer prices were rose less than expected in November, giving investors hope that the inflationary pressures may be cooling enough for US monetary policy to be eased more than a Wall Street Journal, The Wall Street anticipates consumer Price Index rose at two point seven percent annualized rate last month. A delayed report from the Bureau of Labor Statistics showed economists pulled by dal Jones, expected the CPI to have risen three point one percent, so they blew it by four tenths of a percentage point, which is basically something like as like one eighth or one tenth of what I missed U by over ten percent. But again, these are the economists, remember those people that will tell you tomorrow why things they predicted today yesterday didn't happen today. It infuriates me because everything is just so. By the core CPI, which strips out volatile food and energy prices also cooler than anticipated, increasing two point six percent over twelve months. It was expected to have risen by three percent. So again they were off by four tenths of a percentage point. And that's we're talking big numbers there when you're looking at that, and especially at the Federal Reserve, wants to see inflation down around two percent. Well, when the previous month was at two point seven two point eight percent and we're now down to actually up to right around two point nine percent, and we're down to two point six percent, it is heading in the right direction. And rather than these knuckleheads actually recognizing that and saying that in their reports, they just say they just throw the number out there. They say, well, it's lower than expected, but they don't get in any context, any behind the scenes and saying that, well, the previous month it was this, and everybody was expecting it to go up this high, but apparently they're wrong. And of course, you know they're not going to do it because journalism all the well, i don't even call it journalism, spoon fed regurgislators and mainstream media. They just pump out this information they get well, first of all, they get pumped to them from the liberal democratic talking points, and then they just regurgitated to everybody else, and then you know, we're left to try to guess what's accurate and what's not. Just don't believe them, Just pay attention to what the actual numbers are and draw your own conclusions. The monthly increase, we're less than expected with both of all the items. The course CPI gained it two point two percent compared to estimates of point three percent, and that's just month over month, that's two tenths of a percentage point. This is the first report that encompasses the period during which the US government was shut down. The stoppage disrupted the data collection process in that time. It also led to a cancelation of the October CPI release. The data was originally expected to be released December the tenth, because the October CPI was canceled. Thursday's report did not have all the usual data points, and typically a CPI release, BLS was unable to retroactively collect the October data, and which I wonder why that information was out there it was available. Did you not go to it, did you not take the effort to go to it and look at it, or did you just say, oh, you know, the numbers were compiled, but they just went out into the ether somewhere. On a twelve month basis, food prices rose two point six percent and energy was up four point two which I've got to and ask the question when I go to the grocery store and I look at these prices reduced and they show what the shelf label price was, and then when you look at the reduced price, that reduced price is somewhere around ten percent, five percent in some cases fifteen percent of what it was before. And they advertised new low prices, new low prices. So where the food prices are going up that much?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: And then when they're talking about as far as energy prices are concerned, well, let's take a look at I mean, just quickly take a look at energy prices. West Texas intermediate crued is down twenty dollars and eighty three cents just since the first of the year. That's twenty seven percent down. Brent crude down twenty dollars and four cents of barrel, that is down twenty five percent since the beginning of the year. Now we've seen gas prices are now nationwide average at two dollars and ninety cents a gallon, when this time last year they were at three to zero three, So they're down thirteen cents a gallon, almost fourteen cents a gallon. So the energy prices, now, if they're talking about energy and electric energy and energy rates, those are controlled by the individual states and their regulatory commission that allow some of these companies like Duke Energy or whoever to raise their rates. So if they're not controlling and if they have converted a lot of their stuff to more green, new steel type of things in terms of getting away from fossil fuels and the normal production of energy, and if they're doing that because of windmills and because of solar and that's not been effective and those prices are actually higher and more expensive, then that's where it's coming from. It's not from tariffs. It's not from inflation, it's stupidity of the government and the state governments that allow that to happen. When they talked about that New Jersey governor's race, one of the things, one of the big criteria things where energy prices and electric prices were out of control, and so you have the Democrats in charge, which are controlling those energy costs. And so the brilliance of the people in New Jersey said, well, you know, we're going to have the Democrats fix that.
Speaker 1: So we're going to elect another Democratic governor.
Speaker 2: These numbers and we'll probably talk a little bit more about these on Tuesday. Some of the numbers are rolling in in terms of where the numbers were up, where the numbers were down.
Speaker 1: Bottom line is just incredible.
Speaker 2: But if you missed any of our previous segments or missing any of our shows from this week, which from down there in Nashville, hit up that iHeartRadio app Also stay tuned for Red Eye Radio Top of the Art. I'm Kevin Gordon, America's truck a Network seven hundred WLW