Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begne.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 3: This is World Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 1: Here we go again. We're geting were running back.
Speaker 3: To get him on the show called eight six six nine eighty seven two five seven, and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you get your podcasts. Here's your host, David Vaseastic.
Speaker 1: Welcome the Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: David Vasse with you until eleven thirty tonight from Uniclo Field at Dodgers Stadium. The Dodgers defeat the Mariners six to two. We have phone lines open at eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy. Jose Mota will join us at eleven fifteen. We have two pairs of tickets to give away to Sunday Night Baseball here at the Ravine.
Speaker 1: Dodgers Red Side.
Speaker 2: So if you come strong, if you have any trade deadline, trade talk, trade talk, mind numbing, trade talk, questions, comments, opinions, that's how we're gonna give away these tickets at eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy we.
Speaker 1: Will hear from Eric Lower, who is very aware of the.
Speaker 2: Situation at hand as we get closer to Monday's trade deadline, which is at noon Pacific time this coming Monday, so Lower understands what's going on. The Dodgers were very transparent with him when he was acquired from the Blue Jays, so we'll get to him. And also we'll get to show Hail Tani, who's not in the starting lineup tonight as the knee was the left knee was a little sore, and the Dodger trainers and Dave Roberts decided to give him a night off, thinking big picture, Otani will be back in the starting lineup tomorrow dhing for the Dodgers. Tonight's DH hit a home run. That was ta Oscar Hernandez. Ta Oscar Hernandez, who you know, was doing really well going into the All Star break and came out of it a little bit of a slump, but started to really get things going again, and he homers tonight and Dalton Rushing hit a three run home run, so that's a good thing. And Mookie Betts was in a great mood today. You saw it right away when he walked into the clubhouse. You could feel it, and MOOKI has to be reminded sometimes about how good he is, and when the confidence is up, the performance goes up as well. It's been a rough July for Mookie, obviously, and you just hope that he can pick himself up going into the end of September and into October. Eight six, six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. I felt like it's important to point out with Dalton Rushing. I mean, obviously, everybody focuses on the viral moments that he has had, and albeit in the first half of the year, you haven't really seen any one of those viral moments since the All Star break, and even going into the All Star break, seems like he's done a better job of keeping his emotions in check. Look, part of the reason that Dalton Rushing is good is because he plays with the chip on his shoulder and he's looking to not just beat you, but embarrass you at times, and that has lent itself to him being one of the best players in the Dodgers' minor leagues the last few years, which earned them this opportunity to be on the opening day roster and here he is now playing seventy two games. Nobody thought Dalton Rushing would play seventy two games before the month of August, but with the entry to Will Smith the inflamed disc in his neck, Dalton Rushing has played twenty more games now than Will Smith this season. Fifty two games before he got hurt, Will Smith was hitting two forty nine with forty three hits, six home runs, and twenty three RBIs. Dalton Rushing in seventy two games is hitting two fifty nine with twelve home runs and thirty six RBIs and an ops over eight hundred. So my point is not many teams a can lose a player the caliber of Will Smith and have a guy like Dalton Rushing ready to go number two. Everybody that tried to embarrass Dalton Rushing on social media by replaying those emotional outbursts and his immaturity at times, how about giving him some shine now when he's letting the bat do all the talking and he's doing a great job catching Roki Sasaki the last three starts again, twelve home runs, thirty six RBIs. He has a big home run tonight against Brian Wood, a three run home run to put this game away. Uh, at some point you're going to have to acknowledge that he's doing really well on the field and forget about what you see what you I should say what you saw in the dugout because he's maturing run in front of our eyes. And I know there were a lot of questions if Will Smith was not able to come back this year, could the Dodgers trust Dalton Rushing to keep his emotions in check when the emotions run higher than ever in the postseason. But I feel like he is starting to show some of that maturity to keep his emotions in check. And ta Oscar Hernandez, you know, speaking to the media, actually gave us a little hint that Will Smith is doing more and more and is going to hit tomorrow. When Taoscar Hernandez said Smith was going to hit, that means Smith is going to either hit in the cage or he's actually going to come out tomorrow and take part in batting practice for the first time since going on the IL. So that's a good sign as well. But can we just give Dalton Rushing some credit here. He's done a hell of a job and he's done a much better job of maturing as he has gotten more playing time. Eight six seven, two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Mariners six to two tonight. Let's go out to Hollywood. Casey, you're on Dodger Talk. Lead us off.
Speaker 4: Hey, David, Hell, are we doing here?
Speaker 1: I'm doing great right now.
Speaker 4: I guess we'll just perfect perfect Well, let's just just jump off to a Dalton rushing, just keep this going. First off, I just want to say, the guy's doing fantastic, having solid at bats. And I got to say when he was having those outbursts earlier in the year, I loved it, man. I love my players having passion. I like him keeping that fire alive, especially during the Giant Series when he had that moment at a home plate, you know, and then they threw a pitch at him, and where they throw it at it was just throw it at one of our guys and then the sliding on that. That's baseball. There's a lot of fun. He's doing good and I'm confident with him behind the plate, hoping Will Smith can come back. But if he doesn't, are we going to trade for a catcher? And that's what I want to talk to you.
Speaker 2: About Well, it doesn't sound like the Dodgers are in need of a big league veteran backup catcher right now because Smith is coming back. I will say this, if the Dodgers do feel like, uh, there's not a roster spot to get call more playing time with Keiky Hernandez back, I can envision the Dodgers going out and getting a veteran big league catcher as insurance, like a Travis Darnault from the Angels, and carry three catchers. I could see that. But right now it looks like things are trending in the right direction for Will Smith. Thanks for the phone call, Casey, appreciate it. Eight sixty six nine to eighty seven seventy. Let's go out to Art, who is at the ballpark tonight. Hi, Art, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 5: Hey, David. So, I just saw this online and I saw that the USA Today writer Bob Nightingale wrote that Karen Scoople's first choice at free agency is Los Angeles. So how can I be surprised at something like that? Yeah, you shouldn't be, now, So, like, can you just imagine what that would be like with all the guys going at it and just fighting fighting for fighting for a spot in a rotation. That that would be awesome. I mean, like the rest of baseball and everybody would you know, definitely come hard and then maybe the whole nation would be against Dodger Nation. But you know, you know what I'm saying, Like that, that would just be that'd just be awesome to see.
Speaker 2: I would love that on the Dodgers staff because he's a two time sign Award winner and arguably one of the best left handers or arguably the best left hander, the best pitcher in baseball. But the other part of the equation is he doesn't just have talent, he has the work ethic and that kind of sets the tone for the rest of the staff. And he would fit in perfectly with Otani and Yamamoto on the staff as far as work ethic goes Robleski those guys. To have a guy like Schoobole in the weight room, in the bullpen sessions, all that stuff.
Speaker 1: He would be a great fit.
Speaker 2: And that's part of the reason why it makes a lot more sense for the Dodgers to sign Schoolble at the end of the season going into next year, depending on where they're at and what the new CBA looks like more than treating for him at this point in time. So I continue to hear about the Tampa Bay Rays going to be aggressive at the trade deadline and going to be aggressive to try to acquire Schooble. So we'll see where it plays out. Let's go out to Sean in Las Vegas. Sean, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 1: How you doing?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 4: If Will Smith is gonna be back?
Speaker 6: Obviously they're not in a big need for a catcher, But if they were gonna get a third guy, how about Ben Rortvett.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: I hate to use this phrase, but that's the laziest idea I have ever heard. There are other catchers out there not named Ben Rohtfitt that can do a pretty good job.
Speaker 6: Wasn't Ben a real good fit with the pitching staff last year?
Speaker 1: He was really good with really good starters. I thought he was good. Yes he was.
Speaker 2: But I'm just saying that you bring in Ben Rohtfitt, how is that going to make Rushing feel We're back in the same quagmire as last year, where you know, Rushing was squeezed out. So I just don't think that would be the right message to send. A Dalton rushing to acquire Ben Rohtvett. All right, thank you for the phone call. I don't know what else to say to that. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number Dodger talk going until eleven thirty tonight. I continue to believe the Dodgers have interest in the Mets right hander Clay Holmes, who would be a really good fit for the Dodgers because he can be a guy that can come out of the bullpen in the postseason, can be a starter for the rest of the regular season, and also if you need one in the postseason, he can do that for you as well. But I just think back to what Andrew Friedman and Brandon Gomes talked about going into each of the last two postseasons. We're going to go with the thirteen best pitchers for the staff, not putting them in a box of a starter or a reliever.
Speaker 1: You saw the Dodgers Yu.
Speaker 2: Shehan, Glass Now Yamamoto, Roki Sasaki, and Roles that we haven't seen him in And that's why I believe Clay Holmes would be a great fit for the thirteen best pitchers for an October staff. A pretty good in his day in October is going to get honored rightfully. So our guy Oral Herschheiser is being honored by the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. That's happening on August thirteenth. It's open to the public. Sixty seven fifty five Hollywood Boulevard is where you're going to see the star of the bulldog Oral Hersheizer. So put that in your notepads and your calendars. Be out there to support the nineteen eighty eight World Series MVP. All right, we're going to take a time out. When we come back, you'll hear from Eric Louer had him on the pregame show. He shared his thoughts about the trade rumors surrounding him. We'll share that with you and also Jose Mota will check in at eleven fifteen plus more of your phone calls at eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy. Dodgers beat the Mariners six to two on A five seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 3: On air at AM five seventy, online at AM five seventy LA sports dot com, and available by podcast on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 7: This is Dodger talk with David Bassi. A one pitch swung on hammer deep to right failed this Paul's back. It is gone unless Seattle til pen. Dalton Rushing a three run shot for the Dodger catcher.
Speaker 1: It is five and I good.
Speaker 2: Dalton Rushing doing a phenomenal job, growing on the job. His twelfth home run of the year put this game away, a three run home run to help the Dodgers beat Brian Wu and the Mariners tonight six to two. I want to remind you that our friends at Daniels Jewelers presents the home Run four K. Asked for your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniel Stewler's gift card. Visit AM five to seventy lasports dot com. Use the keyword home run and to your name you could win Daniel Stewler's own the dream. Jose Mota is going to join us in ten minutes. We have phone lines open at eight six, six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy. I have two pairs of tickets to give away to this Sunday's Dodgers Red Sox game, so you gotta wow me to get those tickets. And so far I have been underwhelmed. Eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. Eric Lower poured out his heart to us before the game today, had a great time talking to lour And if you listened to the interview before the game, if you can tell me the fun fact that Eric Lower served to us, I will give you a pair of those tickets for Sunday night's game. If you can tell me the fun fact about Eric that we had no clue about, I will give you those pair tickets for Sunday at eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy. But we got to Eric Lower being very candid after the game last night, very aware of the fact that when he was acquired by the Dodgers that this could be a short term thing until Snell and Glass now and Otani got healthy.
Speaker 1: Well, here we are Lower.
Speaker 2: Nine starts in and the Dodgers are nine to zero when Eric Lower is on the mound.
Speaker 1: Eight starts.
Speaker 2: One was with an opener, but for all intentsive purposes, basically nine starts because he pitched six perfect innings after the opener in Minnesota. So Lower's aware that the trade deadline is on Monday, and his name has been put out there publicly by the Athletic that the Dodgers are considering flipping Lour to help bolster their minor league system because it's a little thin, very little international spending money, low draft picks, giving up draft picks, being dropped down in the draft in the amateur draft because of being so high in the luxury tax threshold. So it makes sense from a baseball operation standpoint, and Lower understands that, but express to us how much he wants to stay in LA.
Speaker 1: You probably don't even know what I do, right, You have no idea what I do.
Speaker 8: I know you talking to a microphone.
Speaker 2: Exactly, But I host the postgame show and take calls from fans. Yeah, okay, big revelation, Right, you told me something about yourself.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you what I do.
Speaker 2: And fans, Dodger fans, in this short period of time, have expressed to me the emotional attachment they have to Eric Lower and don't want you to go anywhere.
Speaker 6: I don't want to go anywhere.
Speaker 8: I know, I know.
Speaker 2: But what you said after the game last night, not a lot of guys would admit just how what front the Dodgers were with them. Where you today As we get closer to Monday, how are you handling all that.
Speaker 8: I'm trying to stay off social media as much as possible because I know my wife's on top of that and she's telling me everything that's being said and all the thoughts and predictions and whatnot out there. And I mean, I knew coming in, like I said, it was like I wasn't doing great to beget in the year, and I wasn't in a great spot when I came over here. So I think if I wasn't able to accept that, you know, this might be the situation, they might you know, be testing me out see something that they think that they can help me with, and they definitely have to just get me back to where I should be. And you know, my goal was to come in and you know, make the decision really hard for him, if that was their plan all along, it was, it was to make the decision really hard and being like, are we actually willing to give up this guy?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 8: And I think I've done a pretty decent job of that so far. And you know, I'm I've gotten pretty close with the entire team, the staff, like everybody around here.
Speaker 6: So I'm I'm.
Speaker 8: More than more than hoping that I don't get traded.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Same here.
Speaker 2: The radio guy likes you a lot too, So I hope in Chicago on Tuesday you're still wearing Dodger blue.
Speaker 1: But obviously there's a lot of moving parts.
Speaker 2: And like I said, everybody has grown an emotional attachment to Eric Lawer. So thank you, and we'll see you. I'll see you tomorrow at least. Right, we'll be where our feet are, I.
Speaker 8: Think so, I hope so at least, But you know, I appreciate it all right.
Speaker 2: That was part of our conversation with Eric Lower, and he expressed how much he has loved being with the Dodgers, and he actually used the phrase that the Dodgers have spoken the language of Lower to bring the best out of him. And it seems like communication is a big part for him having a lot of success. And Mark Pryor knew Lower when he was just a young buck in San Diego. Both guys were young bucks. Now Pryor's got a lot of grand that beard and Lower, I mean, obviously he's going strong. So uh, it's been a great fit. The Dodgers have gotten more out of Lower than anybody expected. I feel like to a certain extent. Even Lower shared that with us as well. But it's a numbers game, and right now the Dodgers are getting closer to being full, not only as a team, but as a pitching staff. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number, and to hear the full conversation with Eric Lower, you can find that on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: Let's go out to Indio. Matt, You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing?
Speaker 3: Matt?
Speaker 1: Was that really awkward between me and Lower? Do you feel like I handled that? Okay?
Speaker 6: Nah, you had a nice, good personal moment there, sharing a bit about yourself what you do? I thought that was good.
Speaker 2: I've only been around the guy for two mo months. He had no idea that I host this show until eleven thirty every night.
Speaker 6: How is that possible?
Speaker 10: Man?
Speaker 6: You do a good job.
Speaker 2: Hey man, I guess I guess they didn't have Blue Jay's Talk when Lower was playing over there.
Speaker 6: Nah, bro, we're we gotta we do it better over here.
Speaker 1: Let me will with you.
Speaker 2: Out there, Matt. You sound like you're really sleepy out there in Indio. That's an exciting town.
Speaker 6: Now I'm building. Oh no, I'm building man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what are you building out there?
Speaker 6: I'm using name where you know?
Speaker 1: Okay, got you?
Speaker 2: I understand all right now that we've gotten that out of the way, Matt, what do you have for me with Dodger Baseball?
Speaker 6: I got something on Emmett, something on Dalton, and something on Lower. So let me shoot you with uh Emmett first. And I don't nessary want this to happen, but I could see it that him being a Dustin May like last year. And I know the big difference is Dustin May wanted to stay a starter and she has already shown that he could, uh, he can perform well in the postseason coming out of a bullpen. So that's a big key difference there. Next Ruk, So.
Speaker 1: You're saying, keep she hand, but put him in the bullpen.
Speaker 6: Oh, I mean that's for sure. It's kind of like a given. If he can throw ninety eight coming out of the bullpen like last year, he's gonna do well for us.
Speaker 1: He has the potential, no doubt.
Speaker 9: Matt.
Speaker 1: What do you got to say about rushing?
Speaker 6: Rushing? I gotta start with the good and let me call it. Let me just call it right here first, And I see the future stoic version of Will Smith. You know what I mean. I do see a future stowage version.
Speaker 2: Do you think Alton Rushing is gonna turn into Will Smith's personality?
Speaker 6: Maybe not that level of stoic stoicism whatever, but I can see him being I can I can see it. And you're you're hearing the first here. And just to note on the little childish antics, I mean, I think they're all kind of justified. And let me just throw this cool little note out to you. As I was out in Philly for that three game set, I caught a game over there in which she him was he started, and I was in the I was in the bullpen out over there, you know, coaching, coaching the guy up and uh. When Dalton came up to close out the bullpen session, I told him, Hey, man, no no byes today. I was yelling at him, no byes today.
Speaker 1: I'm sure he took that to heart. Matt.
Speaker 2: Matt, I like I like style. You really cool yourself out. You're a great guy for a cure to insomnia. So I'm gonna give you a pair of tickets to Sunday's Dodger game.
Speaker 1: Can you make it?
Speaker 6: Let's go baby, tell y.
Speaker 2: All right, Matt Dalton Rushing needs you. He needs to be coached up by you. Congratulations. You want a pair of tickets to see your back to back world champion Dodgers take on the Boston Red Sox on Sunday night baseball. First pitch is at four to twenty and Matt can listen to every Dodger game as well as you on a five to seventy LA Sports and stream on the iHeartRadio app live from the gallpin Ford Broadcast booth. All right, let's go out to Culver City. Bruce appears to have listen to the pregame show and I like that full circle, Bruce staying with me from beginning to end tonight.
Speaker 10: Thanks David. I actually listen to usually as listen to the Dodger Talk on podcasts. So I listened to the podcast version of the interview, which is really good.
Speaker 6: I enjoyed it.
Speaker 4: Quite a bit.
Speaker 1: Hey, I'll take it download.
Speaker 10: Yeah, No, every night, every night I listen to you guys. Eric Lauer, when he was with Milwaukee hit the last home run for the Milwaukee Brewers. That's a picture off of Chris Paddock and the padres.
Speaker 1: Hey there you go, Bruce. Good job.
Speaker 2: Congratulations you also are winning a pair of tickets to see the back to back world champion Dodgers take on the Chotterheads from Boston on Sunday night at four to twenty. Congratulations and thanks for being a loyal listener live and also on the podcast iHeartRadio app Appreciate.
Speaker 10: That, Bruce, absolutely, thank you so much.
Speaker 6: Let's go Dodgers, all.
Speaker 2: Right, hold on, Bruce, Colin will get your information. And don't forget Bruce. You can listen to every Dodger game on se LA Sports, stream it on the iHeartRadio app live and podcast the show and all the interviews like you did from the gallpin Ford Broadcast booth. Eight six six nine seven two five seventy is the phone number. Yeah, how about that? Eric Lower was in the big leagues when pitchers still hit pictures could rake back in the day. Clayton Krushaw hit a big home run on opening Day of twenty thirteen against the San Francisco Giants, and Eric Lower has the distinction to hit the last home run in Brewer's history as a pitcher off of Chris Paddock.
Speaker 1: So there you go. Let's go out to Bob in Malibu. You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Bob.
Speaker 11: I'm doing great, Dave, Hey, I appreciate the call. Two things I need before the trade deadline, Dave, Actually, one thing before the trade deadline.
Speaker 6: One thing for the end of the season.
Speaker 11: Number One, I think it would be great if we got a Roki Sasaki tops card this year with Mickey Hatcher's big glove. I think that would be perfect for Roki. It'd be a good inside joke right there on a card.
Speaker 2: Yes, uh faby and our DAYA tweet out that photo, Bob, no doubt that would be great.
Speaker 11: And number two, we need a Vic the Brick haiku about the trade deadline. We need a Dodgers haiku from Vic the Brick doing the trade deadline.
Speaker 1: Do they really need that?
Speaker 6: You tell me, Dave?
Speaker 11: Do we need one?
Speaker 1: Do we do we need one? Bob? I gotta run. Jose. Motive is on hold. All right, Let's check it with Jose.
Speaker 3: It's time to go around the horn with Jose Mota.
Speaker 2: Save me, Jose. It's been a wild night of Dodger talk phone calls tonight. Dalton Rushing. I feel like everybody was talking about, you know, the outbursts, the emotions the first half of the season, but it feels like everybody's ignoring what matters the most production behind the plate and him actually growing on the job.
Speaker 9: He has to grow on the job. This guy has really taken to, you know, a high responsibility, high profile job, replacing an all star catcher and Will Smith and you know, growing with the punches and growing with the you know, the mistakes he's made, admitting to the fact that needed to mature. And I think we really hit the wall was Johio Tani. That's it. I was like, the biggest wake up call you're going to call out with show how you got to really do something to correct it. And he's done it. He admitted it. He's moved on. But let me tell you somethingday now, we were talking about catchers and acquisitions. You know, there's teams that are interested in doesn't rushing. Are you surprised by that? I'm not. I mean, for all that we've seen and all the negative stuff you've seen the you know, some people exposed on social media, this guy is doing a very fine job. He's got some things to improve on. The pass balls are in the sure right now. He's got seven of them. But when he considered the things he's had to face, the pitchers he's handling, the bullpeny's handling. And one thing that we all missed yesterday with a visit to the mound with Eric Lauer, with cal Rally hitting and him taking the time to go, wait a minute, let's go to a different plan. So all those things that you see and that perhaps don't capture anybody's eye or cannot be written down, matter a whole lot to doubt and Russia because his last year he's been put to the test by Dave Roberts, and one needs to to be a better catcher, be a better kid, and be a better teammate. And so far, you know what, there's the fact that he's attracting attention around the league because he's doing a very good job.
Speaker 1: He's not going anywhere, I can guarante not that.
Speaker 9: No, he's not going anywhere, But I'm saying that's how high profile he's created for himself right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, he told me in New York he's lived through the trade deadline and his name being out there for the last two years, so he knows all about that. And also another part of all this is he seems to bring out the best in Roki Sasaki. He knows how to push Roki Sasaki to keep him engaged and keep him aggressive.
Speaker 9: Correct, And there's a big trust level there with those two communication openness to be inflexible. We're Roki. You got to be very careful how you threat those waters because he knows and where to push when not to, and he understands how to get to him. So there's so many factors, so many ways in which a catch you can help, and one of them sometimes just staying off of him and just say I trust you so much. And perhaps this calls for me to make a visit to the mountain, I'm not gonna do it because I knew that when I put the fingers down or make that call in the pitch, Colm, you're gonna trust it. What I put down is what we talked about, and you will be flexible enough Sasaki to understand that if I do it and I emphatically put something down or put that message down for you to listen to that pitch, I trust in you, and I'm going to block it for you and get the job done. So yeah, it goes both ways. So I'm glad it's working out nice for them both.
Speaker 2: What do you make of the fact that Roki, I know, everybody always focuses on whenever he throws one hundred miles an hour, but the trend for Roki this year has been to throw that split finger more and more.
Speaker 1: Coming into the game tonight.
Speaker 2: This month, he's thrown it thirty eight percent of the time, and it was thrown that many times tonight about thirty nine percent of the time.
Speaker 9: That's just a guy paying attention to reaction from the hitters, a guy having ninety nine one hundred in his pocket, watching the separation from between those pitches and also letting it fly, I mean away with that fork ball. That was just too much of a floating pitch. He still has it somewhere out there when he needs it, but it's a splitter, a two splitter. And what better example the fall than Shohil Tani and mostly Yoshinobo Yama Malta and the way they throw it where they throw it, you know, and learning that even though that pitch perhaps is not something that he had back in Japan, he had more to forkball, but complimented with a slider. But the splitter velocity. We saw a ninety three and a ninety four tonight, which tells you that he's not holding back mechanically, he's aligned properly and he's understanding more about but sequencing in the big leagues way different than Japan. And there's something that you know, I've asked him about going back to spring training, and it's a big lesson today. It's a big step to learn what that means, how to approach one through nine in the big league level. And I'm so happy to the fact that even when he's gotten into a little bit of trouble lately, he's found a way with his own stuff to become his own reliever.
Speaker 2: What did you make of the sixth inning tonight? Obviously Pa has slipped, He got a gift triple right there. He gave up a run, bases loaded, he couldn't get out of that jam. Dave Roberts brought in Jack Dryer. What did you make a bit the way he handled some adversity or didn't handle adversity in that sixth inning tonight?
Speaker 9: If you watch the approach by the Mariners, totally different. Kevin Seisser is a guy that was a good contact her. He talks, spray the baseball, be selective. Third time around. Second time around, they're saying, don't chase, don't spread his own, let him come into the zone. And then when he wasn't getting those swings and misses that he was getting earlier, then he got a little bit tentative, which is one thing he'll learn that he has to stay as aggressive as possible against a team like the Mariners, and if they're not chasing, you get back to the zone. First pitch of the ball game today against the lefty today, slider, first strike. That was the biggest indicator to me that he felt really good about the stuff. So when the lineup turns around and the more success he has, they you know quite well, the big guys, the guys that take the next step are the ones that make the biggest adjustments, not by shying away from the zone, but attacking in a different way. And he now has three pitches he can attack with and turning, he'll know and learn that he's got to stay with it and become a guy that wet and push himself and just looking that dugout and when you look to your manager and your pitching coach, I'm not coming out of this. I got still enough of me to attack his zone and get some guys out.
Speaker 2: Jose Mota is joining us on Dodger Talk after the Dodgers beat the Mariners six to two. Tonight's game was brought to you by Modello Modello The mark of a fighter. How about Dave Roberts springing in Edwin Diaz back to back nights. He wants to knock off that rust as quickly as possible.
Speaker 9: It seems like it seems like, you know these Dodgers players, we see a guy going the aos like get me back and get me to stay, which is something that was emphasized so much by Andrew Freeman yesterday. We want guys to get back, but we want guys to stay. That's it. It's like we don't want to be testing the waters in the big leagues. Suffer setback, but I'm glad. I mean, Edwin wants to be a closer. You know, Twner Scott is a guy that did a good job replacing him. But I like the decision made by Dave Roberts. I didn't expect them to put on the fire yesterday, but it was like, this is what he's coming back to why wait. Obviously there's some things that he's pitching for and things that he signed for. Obviously in terms of being a reliever and being a closer, which you have a lot of pride in and you know, like, look, Kelly Jansen, you come back. You're a closer. That's your job and that's what you've been done your entire life. And you don't want to mess with the psyche of it, mentality of it, aggressiveness of it. But Edwin has gotten a little bit better, and it's good to see Dave that the fastfall average a mile higher yesterday than he averaged in the month of April, which means that he is letting loose things are gonna get better at command, but certainly not holding back in velocity, and that's always a good sign for God like Edwin Diaz.
Speaker 1: All right, Jose, thanks a lot for checking in.
Speaker 2: We'll talk to you tomorrow night after the Dodgers and Red Sox hook up for the first time this season.
Speaker 9: Hey, Lward told me to ask you, what does that you do again?
Speaker 1: Exactly right? They think I just show up and make them laugh.
Speaker 9: You work hard to anybody, my friend.
Speaker 6: Be good?
Speaker 1: All right, Thanks Jose, appreciate it.
Speaker 2: There he goes Jose Mota, part of the Dodgers Spanish radio broadcast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: Munsey even asked me, it's like, what do you do? Like, what's your actual title? I said, Monsey, I mean, how long have you been here twenty eighteen? You don't know my title? I mean, come on, I'm not just here, you know, for to be a punching bag twenty four to seven. I got a day job, and it's Dodger Talk until eleven thirty every damn night, live from the stadium or whatever stadium the Dodgers are in.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 2: Tomorrow night, we're gonna continue the trade talk, trade talk, my numbing trade talk, and I have together my top five trades Andrew Friedman has pulled off at the deadline since he has been with the Dodgers.
Speaker 1: See, I didn't even type it. I got I have a paper. I wrote it down on paper.
Speaker 2: Tomorrow night we will get to it after the Dodgers and Red Sox square off for the first of three games this weekend. Tomorrow night, the Dodgers will go with a bullpen game. Edgardo Enriquez will open for the Dodgers. The Red Sox are throwing three lefties at the Dodgers this series starting with ron Are Suarez or Ranger. Ranger Suarez is on the mound. He's four and three with an era at three zero two. Our coverage begins at six o'clock. First pitch at seven to ten from Dodgers Stadium with Rick Monday, Charlie Steiner and Tim Nevertt over on the Sports Net LA side. Mister Hollywood Star Walk of Fame Oral Herscheizer will be back in the booth with Joe Davis. He only you know when you have a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame and you're the eighty eight World Series MVP. The Cy Young should be Hall of Famer, should have been Cy Young Award winner in nineteen eighty nine.
Speaker 1: You only come back for.
Speaker 2: The big series, the Star Series. So or we'll be back in the house tomorrow night as well. Thanks to Dwayne McDonald.
Speaker 1: Where did Dwayne go?
Speaker 2: He left already? I mean, I guess he's like lower doesn't know what I do. Thanks to Colin Ye back at our Burbank studios, and thanks to you for listening in case you missed any of the show or a great conversation with Eric lower. You can find it on the iHeartRadio app once again. The final score tonight from Uniclow Field at Dodgers Stadium. The Dodgers win another series and they beat the Mariners tonight six to two.
Speaker 1: Have a great rest of your night, Be safe, Seal the Time, all slander away and time semen.