Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begune.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 1: This is World Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: Here we go again. We're gay running.
Speaker 1: Back to get in on the show called eight six six eight seven, two five, seven days and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you catch your podcasts. Here's your host, David vase Lasting.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Dodger Talk. David Vasse with you until the top of the hour. We're between games of a day night doubleheader between the Dodgers and Yankees. The Dodgers. The Dodgers won the first game eight to two. Last night's game rained out. There was heavy rain here in the Bronx, so the prevailing decision was to postpone it and play a doubleheader today. Both teams had a mutual day off this coming Thursday, with the Dodgers going to the White House, but they decided to go with the doubleheader. So the Dodgers will be going from Philadelphia to Washington, DC back to New York next weekend to play the Mets. Eight six six seven two five seventy is the phone number. We will get to Yamamoto and his dominant performance in game one of the doubleheader in a moment, But just want to set the scene for you right now. We're in the broadcast booth and before the game today, Dave Roberts announced that Shoahi Otani will not make his scheduled start on Wednesday in Philadelphia, and there is no word on when Otani will make another start this year, although Dave Roberts said he is confident Otani will pitch again this year, he just doesn't know when. So that left knee of Otani was giving him enough pain when he threw off a flat ground the other day here the first day in New York that he never even threw a bullpen session, and the Dodger trainers, the pitching coaches, and Otani decided it's not even worth throwing a bullpen session. Let's pause the pitching. But here we are in between doubleheader games, after Otani just dged drove in two runs, and he's throwing off flat ground. And when I say throwing, it's not like me and Rick Monday playing catch in the backyard. No, this is show Haotani in full wind up on the flat ground.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Rick just said something to Steven Nelson, so I don't know if he would play catch with me.
Speaker 3: Anyway.
Speaker 2: Shoe Haotani is out here with head trainer Thomas Albert. They're having a discussion right now, and he's in full wind up, full batting practice uniform, pitching off a flat ground from about I would say, ninety feet from here, So you know, well, it's an interesting situation. And look, the reality is, I don't think it's any secret the Dodgers need Otani as a hitter more than a pitcher. But he's a really good pitcher, and he would be a dominant force in a short five game series or in a best of seven series, as we saw in last year's NLCS. So you could say all you want, scrap the pitching. That's not his identity when you signed show, Heyotani, this is what you were signing up for, the two way player. Once he got his elbow healthy and his arm's fine, it's just his left knee that's given him problems that he had surgery on back in twenty nineteen. But here he is still in full wind up, ninety feet on flat ground, pitching, even though that's what Dave Roberts said caused the pain in the left knee on Friday, forced the Dodgers and Otani to scrap Wednesday's start and to put a pause on him pitching in games. But I guess at some point you got to keep the arm moving if he's going to come back and pitch. But here's what Dave Roberts had to say earlier today when he broke the news to us that Wednesday is out for Otani and so is pitching in the near future.
Speaker 4: Well, I think that you know, the elephant in the room is a show. He's not going to start on Wednesday, is me. We just want to continue to give it the best chance to kind of get into a good spot. And as he said, as we feel it's the pitching and the torque on landing on that leg that kind of gets it upset, and so I think that the hitting doesn't do that. So I think that for us, we're trying to give it as much time as possible. So I think being able to kick Emmett to Monday made the most sense.
Speaker 2: Did he throw a bullpen session, and that's when he realized the knee wasn't responding.
Speaker 4: No, No, he didn't. He just was playing catch. And then also just kind of the feeling of where he's at, how it feels day to day. So that was enough for him to talk to the trainers and feel like there was no need to test it with a bullpen where he already knew the answer, right. So I just think for us, it's more like we've done many times over airing on the side of caution. I don't know yet, don't know yet, but kind of where we're at right now, how we're proceeding. I would say that you know it's going to be some time, and I say that it's not going to be a day to day thing. I think that once we've moved Emmett, the rotation can keep going forward without showing for the time Dame, And again I can't speak to how long that's gonna be.
Speaker 2: All Right, there's manager Dave Roberts before game one of this day night doubleheader, explaining that Otani will not be pitching anytime soon. He's walking off the field, just going down the steps, with a herd of Japanese media following every step that he takes after pitching off a flat round here and Thomas Albert and Mark.
Speaker 3: Pryor watching closely.
Speaker 2: So the bottom line is Otani's not going to pitch Wednesday, and he probably is not going to pitch until mid August to get that left knee to calm down. Now, remember during the All Star break, we were told he was going to get that left knee drained.
Speaker 3: That never happened.
Speaker 2: In fact, what he had was a lubricant injection, and that's sometimes you know, to treat arthritis because senior citizens usually get that lubricant injection in their knees.
Speaker 3: Trust me, I know firsthand.
Speaker 2: My mom goes for shots every month and that's exactly what she gets. Now we're talking about sho Heyo Tani, thirty two years old now that has had a lot of wear and tear. In Dave Roberts's words, over the course of his career. That has been extraordinary to do what he's done. But this reminds me of last year the Dodgers slow ramp up Ovotani so he would be ready to pitch in the postseason. I feel like this is not exactly the same because he is built up. But once you shut it down and don't pitch for two or three weeks. He got to ramp back up slowly, so I could totally see that happening in mid August to get him ramped up and ready to go for October. On the mound eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Yankees in game one of the day night doubleheader. Yamamoto a complete game against this Yankees lineup that has been struggling, and they were first pitch swinging, and he was taking advantage and exploiting every weakness of every batter in that lineup. He only threw one hundred and two pitches in a complete game, his first career regular season complete game, the first complete game by a Dodger in the regular season since Gavin Stone in June of twenty four against the White Sox on the South Side. So it was a pleasure as a baseball fan to watch Yamamoto go to work today and do what he did. It really was and I know everybody was impressed that have pitched in the major leagues that were here at Yankee Stadium or a Herscheizer, David Cone, We're raving about just the game plan and the reading of swings and how to get to strike too. That was part of the mastery of Yamamoto, who definitely should be.
Speaker 3: In the conversation for the National League.
Speaker 2: Cy Young Award, we were talking about the Cy Youngs and how not all Cy Young's are created equally. Yamamoto got third place. He came in third place last year in the final balloting. But this year, I know everybody talks about Miserowski and Christopher Sanchez, who are two great pitchers. But if Miserowski misses any length of time, that's that's kind of an X on his resume. For this season, Yamamoto has made every start this year and he's been masterful. Tonight's game brought to you, or, like Tommy Edmond corrected me, Today's game brought to you by Modello.
Speaker 3: Modello. The Mark of a Fighter eight.
Speaker 2: Six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. David Vasse live at Yankee Stadium with Rick Monday, Stephen Nelson, our producer, engineer, Dwayne McDonald, and.
Speaker 3: The stud back in the studio. Colin Yee. That's right, Nelly, you don't think I hear that.
Speaker 2: I heard it the stud in the studio back there, all right, let's go out to the phones. Patrick, in all places, Alabama is going to lead us off.
Speaker 3: Hi. Patrick, You're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 5: Hello David. This is my first time. Patrick. I'm doing great. I'm working. I'm driving a truck right now, but I don't miss a game. I listen to every game on the radio. I've been let me tell you something. Seventeen was an awesome team. But this team, we are gonna do this. We are gonna three peat, no doubt my mind. We've got all the tools, we've got all the weapons, we got people coming back. We're gonna do this.
Speaker 3: I kind of feel the same way, Patrick.
Speaker 2: I have something in the back of my mind that I've told people privately, but I don't want anybody to freak out and say I'm jinxing anything.
Speaker 3: But I'll just say it right now.
Speaker 2: People are going to be shocked how easy the Dodgers go through the postseason and three PTE. This will be the easiest run to the championship this year, Easier than the first one, much easier than the second one. It is going to be shockingly easy for the Dodgers to three pet I said it.
Speaker 3: I can't hold it in. I was holding in I've been holding it in for a month.
Speaker 5: They're not talking about it. But what about the Yankees? They did it twice, they won five in a row. We're gonna do this turn warning. We're going for those fourth and fifth months. I guarantee it, all right.
Speaker 2: Patrick, thanks a lot for calling in. Thank you for listening. Rick Monday and Steven Nelson and all of us appreciate the loyalty. Nineteen seventy six, fifty years ago, Rick Monday saved the flag in a cub's uniform at Dodgers Stadium, and then nineteen seventy seven came home and the Dodgers were off and running. So awesome to have you listening all the way in Alabama.
Speaker 3: Patrick, go Dodgers. All right, Thank you for the phone call. Patrick.
Speaker 2: I know Rick and Steven turned to each other. Hey, just remember this day in between day night doubleheaders, the day Bob Costas came in here and put on Stephen Nelson's game, used headphones. Remember this day as well. Let's go out again. Not in La Eugene, Oregon. Tom listening on the iHeartRadio AP. How you doing, Tom?
Speaker 6: I'm doing great, David. Every time the Dodgers win is a great game.
Speaker 2: A little extra when they beat the Yankees. It's like in a regular season game. If you're a Laker fan.
Speaker 6: Hey John, Lakers, Dodgers changed. Come on all LA all the time. Hey David, I do have a question for you, a little concerning you know that Will Smith has been out for so long. Doesn't sound like from what I'm hearing listening to you guys, he's coming back anytime soon. Are the Dodgers looking at anybody, any catchers to pick up, specifically before the trade deadline that can come in and help.
Speaker 3: I know they are, but I don't know who.
Speaker 2: And I feel like everybody always defaults to Ben Roortfitt, But the reality is Ben rotvettz not the only guy that can catch. There's other veteran catchers out there, and I feel like that's what the Dodgers need. As as even a mentor to a very emotional and at times immature Dalton Rushing, you need a veteran catcher backing him up until Will Smith returns.
Speaker 3: It's his job.
Speaker 2: You don't want to, you know, affect his psyche by bringing in somebody like a Ben Roortfitt or anybody else you want to bring in a veteran catcher that can mentor him and maybe even split some time with him. That's that's what I think you're looking for. And I know the Dodgers are are starting to uh excavate teams and see what's out there in that regards.
Speaker 6: Anybody that jumps to your mind. Besides who you just mentioned that you would like this, there's a least kick the tires on.
Speaker 3: There's one guy that sticks out.
Speaker 2: I don't know if the Guardians would make him available, but I feel like Austin Hedges would be the perfect fit that type of backup veteran catcher. And Dave Roberts was a coach on the Padres when Hedges broke into the major leagues. So that's just the name that I was thinking about. I have no idea if he's even available, but somebody of that type you want to bring in to be a backup catcher maybe you know, I hate to use an old Dodger reference, but a guy like aj Ellis, if there was an Ajlis on another team out there, that type of not only veteran but also that type of personality you would want to have.
Speaker 6: Very cool, all right, Thank you, David, No problem.
Speaker 2: Tom, thanks for calling in and listening on the iHeartRadio app. Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Yankees today eight to two in game one of this day night doubleheader. And before we take our first time out, I want to give a shout out to little Sophia Vega who is at Children's Hospital Los Angeles. Her dad, Thomas reached out to me and said that she's a big time Dodger fan and she was supposed to go to her ten U softball tournament last week, but she had to stay a little bit longer at CHLA, and they've been listening to the Dodger games on the iHeartRadio app and AM five seventy LA Sports ever since she has been in there. And we just want to say we were thinking about you, Sophia Vega, and.
Speaker 3: You are going to be a warrior.
Speaker 2: You're going to get out of there and you're going to start hitting home runs and doing backflips with your softball ten you teams, So we're thinking about you. God bless you, Sofia, and thank you for listening. And the Dodgers definitely will put a smile on your face. With what they did today and what they're going to do in the nightcap of this day night doubleheader.
Speaker 3: All right, we're gonna take a time out.
Speaker 2: When we come back, Jose Mota will stop by and we'll share that conversation with Bob Costas that we had during the Clubhouse show.
Speaker 3: That was fun.
Speaker 2: Hey, here's an update. Guess what They still haven't scored in soccer? Okay, shocker, right, zero zero, no score. They just kick the ball back and forth.
Speaker 3: That's it. They say baseball's boring.
Speaker 2: I mean, I've had my best naps during the World Cup this summer.
Speaker 3: I want some. You want a good nap?
Speaker 2: Put on the I mean it's on the big screen here at Yankee Stadium. I've had to drink two coffees to stay awake, So I respect Messi, but that's where it ends. And by the way, FIFA in the Dodgers team Hotel Super Arrogant eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number pulling back the Kurt here on Dodger Talk until the top of the hour right here on five seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 1: Dodger Talk is available on AM five seventy LA sports dot com hand on the iHeartRadio app. Back to more Dodger Talk with Dodger insider David Basse.
Speaker 7: Another payoff from Bird. Edmund hits it on the ground, base head, right field. Tucker scores. He'll be a green light for tail, He'll come in without a play. Tommy Edmund delivers.
Speaker 2: We're live at Yankee Stadium in between games of the day night doubleheader. Tommy Edmund scores three times, drives in two runs, and the Dodgers beat the Yankees eight to two. Daniel Jewelers presents the home run Forecast for your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniel S Jeweler's gift card visit a five seventy LA sports dot Com used the keyword home run and to your name you could win. Daniel's Jewelers own the dream. How about this? This headset in the booth should go to the Hall of Fame because Stephen Nelson's game used headset he has lent to Bob Costas and now Jose Mota is wearing the same headset.
Speaker 3: This is a significant day for that headset. It is a big day. I feel honored.
Speaker 8: Bomba Costa, Stephen Nelson, my partner on TV and so many times and on radio. But also I feel like I'm being tested here by a teacher, like, hey, come to the front of a classroom and explain.
Speaker 3: To me your homework. Oh, you're being judged.
Speaker 2: Every word you say will be judged by those two guys in the front Monday with me and Stephen Nelson.
Speaker 3: So I'm such a privileged man. What we got, or well, I mean, what do we got?
Speaker 2: We got Yama MOODI got throwing a complete game against the Yankees at Yankee Stadium.
Speaker 3: You know what I brought me to.
Speaker 8: When Yama Molto signed with the Dodgers and people are questioning, why did this guy get more money than Garrett Cole And we come to Yankee Stadium and everybody's saying, yeah, but let's see what he's got. And pretty much the stamp and the sign and the message from Yamamota was here's why I am. He won seven innings that day and he ended up making one more start. Then he got hurt, but it was like, this is who I am. I'm gonna go out there and get the job done. They saw once again today. One thing that really impressed me today that was his coming out party. Like we said earlier, it was pretty much the fact that, as Dave mentioned, Fastbaok command was the biggest issue today that he had going a lot of reid on early swings, but also the variance and the fastballs fifty nine fastballs, variants between the four seamer, sinker and cutter and against leftis in this ballpark. The minute you see a lot of cutters, he's saying, well, short porch, I see spin coming in down and in on me, let me swing. But he was having just a little bit more tilt on it for guys swing over the ball.
Speaker 3: That's why he saw a lot of foul.
Speaker 8: Balls rolled behind on the ground and on top of that downing spread the plate. And this guy is so good at doing one more thing offsetting your timing. I don't know how many times you saw today, but he quick pitch a couple of times when he was not even lifting the leg. He doesn't lift them much anyways, but he was sliding through home played. And that's just a guy that has a great sense aptitude for the game and reading intentions on guys trying to get to him early and being able to neutralize that zone.
Speaker 2: How about the Dodger offense today doing their thing against Cam Schlittler. That is vintage Dodger offense, getting that pitch count up to forty four after two innings. I mean, Schlittler was really good today, but he wasn't going to be going to be in the game that long.
Speaker 8: He was very good upstairs. When they let off that pitch, he was a different guy. Tommy Edmund got it going with that low cut fastball that he got the ball hit, you know, throw the right and then it's pretty much like, okay, if he's gonna get you to chase upstairs, you're not gonna win up there. This guy's tall ball just sumps out of his hand. But then did a very good job fouling balls off, starting with the first three guys. Actually they took seventeen pitches in the first inning, and then the long bats that just works guys out, and before you know it, they forced him down to the zone. No matter how hard you throw, it's much easier to hit downstairs day than there's upstairs.
Speaker 2: Yamamoto is the most underrated pitcher in baseball, and I feel like Tommy Yedman might be the most underrated piece in this Dodger lineup. Since he's come back, he has made this thing go to another level.
Speaker 8: He's a presence Dave in so many ways. Number one is he can hit him anywhere one through nine and he's not going to change.
Speaker 3: It could be on.
Speaker 8: Him on driving and runs, on driving, on driving the baseball, on leading up an inning, and he's not going to change.
Speaker 3: That's what makes him so valuable.
Speaker 8: That's why Andrew Freeman was out for him for so many years as a cardinal right.
Speaker 3: And then the big.
Speaker 8: Of the situation, the smaller he gets. And that's something you explained to me he'd learned over in Saint Louis. Say, hey, I known from the big bows over there. Just don't let it get too big. Just get a little bit smaller with your own, with your swing, everything else. And you know, it's good to see. Another thing from from Tommy Evan that we haven't witnessed really in a couple of years since you've joined the Dodgers, is now he's really more free on the basis and taking the extra base that ankleou was operating on there, being very careful with it, but he's getting better, moves, better jumps on the basis, but also on the defensive side.
Speaker 2: Don't you feel like the Dodgers today were gifted at least four or five extra outs. They have a utility guy playing right field and Max Schuman. He had three misplays that led to extra pitches for Cam Schlittler and it led to extra runs. And then you had Ryan McMahon losing a ball in the sun and that allowed Max Munsey to get on and score. I don't know about you, Jose, but I'm not very impressed by this Yankees team.
Speaker 8: They're not playing good baseball overall consistently, even though they lead their wild card. You're just not seeing that team that you know can do a lot of them. Yeah, they're missing here in judge, but we know that consider this, that made twenty more ears than the Dodgers have, and the Dollars obviously a very good defensive team as of late, not as well. But that's just a little way they're going through. It just tells you a lot how much they have to score.
Speaker 3: To win games. That's the way.
Speaker 8: Too many errors, and even though the pitcher will respond to, their pitching is very good overall collectively, but just it seems like it's fragmented and who's starting, who's not starting, which guy's coming? A little open because when they allow runs, they allow a lot of runs. But I know that Aaron Boon would like to see more consistency in both ways, with or without Aaron judge, what do you.
Speaker 2: Think this second game goes? How do you think this goes in the second game of this doubleheader?
Speaker 8: If we get about the first two, just go out there and win a series, which you already have done. But think about this game is a key for I'd like to see more relieve guys go multiple innings because now you only have three with games after this for the off day, so I'll like to see you. We'll client at least get you through two and then from there on go out and get it done. But for the offense, don't expect another high scoring game. Make sure you go out there and just keep your at bats going. And if anybody youngster shows up, make him earn because you are the LA.
Speaker 3: Dodgers, all right.
Speaker 2: Before I let you go what you got, you consider that we are friends. Right, We're friends, right, I would say so, even though you haven't said that. The invitation you're for dinner. So if it makes me an outsider or not, but well, I feel like say that maybe that's the reason why yesterday when I was talking to you and your wife with your grandson right there in the Team Hotel, I had forgotten to wash off toothpaste on a pimple that I was trying to dry out and I was talking to you for thirty minutes right and after I after I left the Team Hotel, I walked thirty blocks, went into a pizza place, ordered pizza, a slice of pizza. So you went from the fiftieth or fifty first to what to twenty sixth street?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 2: And I went into a pizza place, ordered a pizza with toothpaste on my forehead, ate the pizza and walked to a bookstore. I was trying to get a Roberto Baggio autograph copy of his book. They sold out, They sold out, and then I come here to do an Instagram live and I see the toothpaste on my forehead and I think back that you were and Joe Davis talked to me and never said a word that I had toothpaste on my forehead.
Speaker 3: Damn, here's what I saw.
Speaker 8: I'm like, as David Vesse, why would toothpas be on your forehead number one to dry out pimple. Oh, so I'm saying he's he's trying something new, you know, like it's Madison, it's Fifth Avenue. Maybe he went to some the stores, fancy stores. They're like, hey, put this on your forehead, maybe it'll curse something.
Speaker 3: But I saw something.
Speaker 8: I'm like, I'm not gonna say it's something because I know you treating your pimple.
Speaker 2: So did your wife even say, like, why did he have that on his forehead?
Speaker 8: And I said, I'm sure he's treating something. I always obvious.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, I can't believe that. I was wondering why people were looking at me so weird. But the moda is never blinked. You treated me.
Speaker 8: You didn't treat me like a leoper, respectfully saying he's taking care of something in his face. It's just not say anything because you'll go hell. Oh, thank you for watching. But you know, I just make sure my pimple's will to take care of.
Speaker 2: If I had something between my teeth, would you tell me, Jose you seem like the type of guy that would not After yesterday, I only if you're gonna.
Speaker 3: Go on TV.
Speaker 2: Okay, thank you, good to know wow on radio for what? So there's the background on the toothpaste on my forehead that you never next time?
Speaker 3: Next time, I'll just touching and smelling. Hey, hey, you got a tooth POSENTI for it. Thank you, Helse, thanks a lot for stopping by.
Speaker 2: Thank you to Steven Nelson for lending his headset to Bob Costas and Jose Mota today. Oh yeah, no doubt Steven song, Yes, yes muchis gressis age six six nine seven two five seventy is the phone number the Dodgers beat the Yankees eight to two in Game one of this day night doubleheader. Let's take a couple of more phone calls before we uh send it back to Fox Sports Radio and all of the affiliates out there as We will rejoin you at three o'clock and Tim Kates and Morongo Casino Dodgers on deck, no toothpaste anymore, still drawing it out and first pitch coming up at four twenty. The Dodgers are going with a bullpen game. They have pushed back Emitt Sheen to tomorrow because Otani is not going to start on Wednesday, and TBD on when he may make his next pitching start. So it will be Emmett Sheen on the mount for the Dodgers Monday, and the Dodgers are going with the bullpen game.
Speaker 3: Will klinb will open.
Speaker 2: Landon Knack is on standby at some point in this game as well, And as far as the Dodger rotation goes, it'll be Sheehan tomorrow, Robleski back in Philly on Tuesday the All Star and Eric Lower On Wednesday, the day that Otani was supposed to make the start, Bob Costas was in the booth talking shop with Rick Monday and Steven Nelson, and it was so cool that Stephen lent his headset to Bob to join us with Oral Herscheizer in the booth Bob orl Hersheizer. Roger Clemens will be on the call for Sunday Night Baseball on TV, and he shared one of the classic stories of the eighty eight World Series with us.
Speaker 9: So here's what happened right Game four of the World Series. The Dodgers are up two games to one, but not only is Gibson out he had only that one swing, one of the most epics in the history of the game, but Mike Marshall's out, So the entire Dodger lineup has fewer home runs than Canseko or mguire individually, So why say something that's completely pertinent and true. Pitching aside and Dodger pitching is excellent, this may be the weakest lineup ever to take the field for a World Series game. That's all that Lasorda had to hear. The game is on in the clubhouse and the visitors club and he goes nuts see even f and Costas, blah blah blah, and then apparently according to oral, the chant becomes kill Costas, kill Costas. Right now, I don't know anything about this, So now the pregame's over, I throw it upstairs to Vin and Joe. I'm looking to get off the field, but now they start the anthem. It don't want to be disrespectful, so I fall in at the end of the line. He's at the end because he's the next night's pitcher. He's gonna clitch it, as it turns out in Game five, and he looks down over his shoulder and he goes, boy, you really got Tommy going the guys.
Speaker 10: I have no idea what the hell he's talking about.
Speaker 9: Then I find out afterwards, So Lasorda pulls every rabbit out of his hat in the game squeeze play, gives Mike Davis the hit sign on three at Aero, and Davis homers everything a manager can do.
Speaker 10: So they name Lasorda the player.
Speaker 3: Of the game.
Speaker 9: First thing he says, tomorrow, Albert is the player of the game, should be Bob Costas. Then I walk over and get into the shot, and he says, with a complete spole in his face, winking at me, Thanks Bob, We'll call you when we need you again. Okay, So everybody knows it's a joke, except most of the people in the media. Now, the next day, I got to go into Larussa's office.
Speaker 10: He's in a foul humor to begin with.
Speaker 9: His one hundred and four win team is down three games to one and about to face her scheiser in game fight, so their doom is just about set. And I got to explain to Larusa that I wasn't in cahoots with Tommy Lushorda. But to this day I could be in la at the ballpark and some guy will say, hey, Bob, love you love your work. I forgive you for what you said about the Dodgers. No one knows the story, and no one wants to see the true story because it ruins it.
Speaker 10: It's a better story. The false story is a better story.
Speaker 2: Or do you want you want to chant it? Want to kill costas together? Want to chant that?
Speaker 3: Right now? Can you repeat what you just told? Rick Monday and Stephen Nelson?
Speaker 2: All cy youngs are not created equally, and this guy's eighty eight cy Young certainly shouldn't be.
Speaker 9: Yeah, absolutely, all cy Young awards are not created equal. Bob Gibson in sixty eight is not equal to If there's such a thing as a generic cy Young.
Speaker 3: Like Mark Davis in nineteen eighty nine, Well.
Speaker 10: We don't want it.
Speaker 9: We don't want to downgrade anybody.
Speaker 10: I totally get it. I totally get it.
Speaker 9: Justin Verlander thinks he should have won a fourth instead of Rick Porcello.
Speaker 10: And sometimes you know what happens if a guy.
Speaker 9: Has won x number of MVPs, X number of cy Young's already certified for the Hall of Fame, and some guy has the year of his life, at least some voters.
Speaker 2: Go, ah, what the heck? This is his one shot out? Yeah, how about that? That's that was pretty special. Bob Costas in the boo sharing that story from nineteen eighty eight. I was twelve years old and the eighty eight Dodgers were larger than life. They certainly were David to the Mets Goliath and the A's Goliath that year, and they beat those two one hundred win teams to go on and win that magical nineteen eighty eight championship. It was the second championship in the decade of the eighties. The Dodgers won with Tommy Lasorda. Of course, our guy Rick Monday back in the Bronx won it with the Dodgers in nineteen eighty one. Funny how they never show the highlights of the nineteen eighty one World Series at Yankee Stadium. They never seemed to show those highlights, just like they haven't showed Freddie Freeman's walk off Grand Slam since we've been here. You wonder why, right, But the booze that Freddie Freeman gets from some of the Yankees faithful is still heartwarming because that was one of the more special performances not only in Game one, but that entire World Series by Freddie Freeman. He essentially was the Dodger offense with an assist from Garret Cole and Anthony Rizzo and Aaron Judge in Game five of the twenty four World Series.
Speaker 3: All right, that'll do it for us on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: In case you missed any of the show, you know where to find it the iHeartRadio app. We'll rejoin you at three o'clock with Morongo Casino Dodgers on deck. I had a first pitch of Game two of this day night doubleheader between the Dodgers and Yankees. Otani will be leading off and dhing for the Dodgers. It will be a bullpen game started by Will Klein. Thanks to Colin Yee back at our Burbank studios. Thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here at Yankee Stadium. Great to have Rick Monday and Steven Nelson have to weather a Dodger Talk live. I've never had a live in person studio audience. But thank you, thank you, thank you. Couldn't have done it without you, guys, especially you.
Speaker 3: Rick. The wind beneath my wings. Hey, they're doing the wave. I love it.
Speaker 2: Last time these two guys were sitting in those chairs before Friday night was Game five of the twenty four World Series. So one more game in the Bronx before the Dodgers busted to Philadelphia once again. The final score behind yamamotos complete game. The Dodgers beat the Yankees eight to two. Will rejoin you at three o'clock. By the way, still no score in that soccer game. It's gonna be a barn burner.
Speaker 3: See up