Speaker 1: This is Bengals pemp Rally, presented by Just Baared Chicken on the Bengals Radio Network. Paycoor Paycor is proud to be the official HR software provider of the Cincinnati Bengals. Kettering Health Best Care for the Best Fans. Kettering Health, Official healthcare provider of the Cincinnati Bengals. This is ESPN fifteen thirty, the official home of the Cincinnati Bengals.
Speaker 2: Good afternoon, everybody, and welcome to the Bengals pep Rally show presented by Just Bear Chicken here on ESPN fifteen thirty in Fox Sports thirteen sixty. It is a Friday afternoon in the Queens City. It's going to be a big weekend for Cincinnati football fans. The University of Cincinnati in duckson new Hall of Fame class tonight. The Bearcats take on Baylor tomorrow at four. The Bengals have a home game on Sunday against the New York Jets, and at halftime of that game, this year's Ring of Honor class will officially inducted. It consists of Leap and Lamar Parrish, one of the greatest defensive backs in franchise history and without question, the greatest punt returner in franchise history. And of course, the other member of this year's Ring of Honor class is my broadcast partner in Pal Dave Lapp.
Speaker 3: Thank you, siret Thal appreciate it, sir, thank you.
Speaker 2: We've been looking forward to this weekend for a long time. All of the living Ring of Honor inductees are expected to be here this weekend. Anthony Muno's, Kenny Anderson, Isaac Curtis, Willie Anderson, Chad Johnson, Boomerasias, and Tim Crmrae, Corey Dillon. That is the company that you now keep, my friend.
Speaker 3: That's that's high cotton right there. That's a pretty good company. There's no question about that. Bengal fans, you know, appreciate all of their careers, everything that they did. Had some great Cincinnati Bengal teams that they were a big part of for sure. Anthony Muno's is in the Hall of Fame in Canton as well. Which is that double dip is rare and that doesn't happen very often. That just shows his greatness. We did a podcast earlier this week and we were talking about that. You know that he's one of very very few that can make that claim. But yeah, it's it's mind boggling. Really. I do appreciate the Cincinnati Bengals for recognizing teammates and former teammates, former coaches, head coaches, assistant coaches, everybody that were a big part of the success of the organization over the years. And to be inducted this weekend is literally a dream come true. I mean, when I was a little rug rat, never really little, I guess, but a rug rat running around, running around in my younger years. Never, you know, never thought that I'd be talking with the Great Dan Horde about going into the Ring of Honor.
Speaker 2: No way, It's gonna be awesome. There's a Ring of Honor reception tomorrow at the stadium from five to seven thirty, and then again the official Sarah is coming up at halftime on Sunday. You and Leap and Lamar Parish will also be the rulers of the Jungle prior to the game, the second time that you have been a ruler of the Jungle, which is pretty cool. Let's talk for a moment about the other guy going in. Your former teammate Leap and Lamar Parish. He and Kenny Riley formed the greatest cornerback duo this franchise has ever had, and maybe any franchise has ever had. Ken Riley is in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. He had sixty five interceptions. Leap and Lamar had forty seven interceptions in his career and scored thirteen non offensive touchdown between yeah, punt returns, pick six's, fumble returns, kickoff return, etc. Let's hear from Bengals owner and team president Mike Brown on Leapin' Lamar Parish.
Speaker 4: Lamar deserves more people remembering him than do I don't know why that's so. During his time here I think was about seven years he played for us, he was the most talented cornerback we ever had, and we've had some great cornerbacks, but he was also the best returner we ever had. And the one story that we stood out in my mind about Lamar was when.
Speaker 3: We played Washington here.
Speaker 4: They had a good team and we had something like three yards total offense. We didn't move the ball at all. We won the game went on returns. Lamar, on one punt return, went into a group of players that looked like a ball of players that he dove into and somehow he ran out the back end of all this accumulated group of players and went on without losing struck for a touchdown. He could cover like a blanket, The receivers didn't get open on him, and he could play the ball. We had on the other side. Kenny was over there and we had two corners, the equal of any team ever.
Speaker 2: That game that Mike was talking about was in your rookie year nineteen seventy four against Washington. Lamar at a ninety yard punt return touchdown in the game. He also returned to fumble for a touchdown in that game. Describe your most vivid memories of your former teammate and now Ring of Honor fellow Ring of Honor inductee, Lamar Parrish.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was just a dynamic, spectacular athlete. You know, Mike paints a very good portrait of Lamar Parrish, his abilities. He was so athletic. He ran sub four four and you know, he was a he was a long strider, but then he could chop his feet, you know, and take the real quick steps, change direction. Like Mike said, he covered people like a blanket. I mean, nobody nobody beat him. Nobody beat him, and he would take the best receiver and I got him. I'm eliminating him, I'm neutralizing him. I'm erasing him. In fact, that was the nickname that we called Lamar Paris the eraser or the human eraser, because he just he would take take the best guy and you wouldn't hear from the guy during the course of the football game. But the thing that did separate him, like Mike was talking about, from anybody that I can remember, is his returnability. I mean, it was ridiculously phenomenal. Uh you know, ninety yard return you describe against Washington, and I think he made a couple of guys miss twice on the return. They missed, and you know, try to get back into it and he's making other people miss that they game ground and catch up with him, and he'd make others miss. He was he was ridiculous in that area. And that's such a big deal because you know, offense, defense, special teams takes three, all three components to win a football game, and Lamar was a big contributor defensively and then on special teams as well. I mean, it seemed like some games he was on the field, the entire field. It was like number twenty was out there the whole time. And yeah, he went to a real small school in Nebraska, Lincoln, and you know, he made carved out a hell of an NFL career for a bunch of years with the Bengals, then the then Washington Redskins, and the pair we had at corner he and the late great Kenny Riley, who was one of my best friends on the team. Loved Kenny Riley. He was just as good a human being as you're ever gonna want to meet. And his wife and kids. I mean, Ken Riley Junior, we know, and just a peach of a guy. I mean, you're never going to meet anybody any better than Ken Riley Junior. That tandem. You know, Paul Brown knew what he was doing when he was going out and evaluating players, and he knew what he wanted in a cornerback and he got that in Lamar Parrish and Kenny Riley.
Speaker 2: He knew what he was doing when it came to drafting offensive lineman as well, and he hit it out of the park with a third round draft pick out of Syracuse in nineteen seventy four. I'm obviously speaking of you. Dave Lappham This is the eighth fifty eighth season of Bengals history. You've been part of fifty out of the fifty eight ten as a player, forty now as a broadcaster, the starting left guard on the Freezer Bowl team and the Super Bowl sixteen team, the best radio analyst in the NFL now for forty years running. Again, let's hear from team president and owner Mike Brown on Dave Lapple.
Speaker 4: Dave was smart enough, no one questions that, but that's never what stood out about him in mind. He went beyond that. He was built like a football player. The first time I ever saw him, he was in his shorts and a training table at the Blue Gray Game down in Alabama, and Jesus I looked at him and then I said, this guy, he's built like they're supposed to be big over. He was an excellent player and he could play anywhere he needed him, but it went beyond that. He has become someone tied to the Bengals in his own special way. He was a player for us, and later he was an announcer for us. He can tell our story. He's been around here close on to fifty years as a player and as an announcer he knows all the guys that were here from the beginning on, and he can tell about them.
Speaker 3: He's a good storyteller.
Speaker 4: I know this doesn't have much to do with being in the Ring of Honor, but as a personality, you like being around him. He's fun and that isn't something unique with me. Everyone feels that way. They gravitate towards him because he just makes the occasion happier.
Speaker 2: Well, put Mike Brown, you make the occasion happier.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's very nice. That's a very nice statement from Mike Brown. Did you hear that, Lynn, That's what Mike Brown, the owner of the Bengal, says about me. So I'm not as big as sticking the mother as you say. You're tell of lives out there, you're telling everybody, not just kidding. But yeah, I honestly can't thank the Brown Blackburn family enough because, you know, Mike, Mike is is one who way back in the my sophomore year at Syracuse was when I started filling out you know, information sheets and that sort of thing with interested teams that might you know, Ben Schwartzwalder would say the scout from the Cincinnati Bengals wants to talk to you after practice and then he give you form and fill it out and send it in in a self addressed, stamped envelope kind of deal. And you know that's kind of where it started with the Bengals and others. But on Draft Day, you know, it was the Cincinnati Bengals and the third round, the sixtieth pick of the of the draft, and I was thrilled. I was excited. I remember talking to my parents, my brother and sister about you know, going out there and how how good they were playing for Paul Brown. The legend, I mean, this guy is, you know, he's way up there in football history, National Football League, collegiate football. He just high school at Maslon. I mean, he had successes that were they were unmatched at every level.
Speaker 2: Coaching Mount Rushmore.
Speaker 3: Absolutely absolutely, and uh he was such a great teacher of the game. I was very fortunate to have Bill Tiger Johnson as my first line coach. Mike McCormick, who played for Paul when Paul was head coach of the Cleveland Browns. Here's my line coach after that. Roccopiro was my line coach at Syracuse. A great, great player and a hell of a line coach as well, So I got a good foundation there and played with guys like Stan Walters at Syracuse and against Joe Erman every day in practice. Who was you know, a first round pick with the Indianapolis or then the Baltimore Colts coming out of Syracuse. So uh, it's it's it's really hard to get my mind around. It's mind boggling that I'm going to be going into the into the Ring of honor, you know, like Mike was saying, uh, ten years as a player forty in the broadcast booth fifty year run. The club has been around for fifty eight years, so it's been I've big a part of it for a good long time. And I think, you know, I've met just about every player that's played for the Cincinnati Bengals, are either drafted or a college free agent or unsigned veteran free agency over the years and the different eras of the the NFL with the Cincinnati Bengals. So I consider myself the luckiest man in the world.
Speaker 2: There's no question, like Luke Gerrig the luckiest man, absolutely absolutely yeah, you know him all from Joe Stofa to John Stofer Rather to Joe Flacco and not enough, they're roughly the same age.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 3: That's a good point. That's a good point about Joe Flacco. Man, the dude's amazing.
Speaker 2: There is. We're gonna be talking about him quite a bit over the next hour and forty five minutes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's something.
Speaker 2: He sure is. All right, We are live today here at our Friday afternoon home. It's the on the Rhine Eatery. That is the food hall above the downtown Kroger at Court and Walnut. Plenty of parking on the street. There's also a parking garage attached to this building. Lots of inexpensive food items available here. There is a bar in the corner, the eighteen eighty three Bars, So you want to come out, grab a bite, d have a frosty beverage. This is the place to do it on a Friday afternoon. And in addition to talking about Lap and Leap and Lamar going into the Ring of Honor this weekend, We've got a very special guest coming up at five o'clock for the final hour of our show, Chase Brown.
Speaker 3: Strong. Chase Brown is he's having a hell of a year. I mean, this running back is somebody that has earned his keep, as they say, and man, his legs, his lower body, he really hits that weight room hard and he's got some unbelievably strong clads and hamstrings and calves. And this guy, man, he puts his foot in the ground when he cuts. It's a island cut on a you know, from side to side. He just jump cuts as well as anybody in the NFL. And then he gets going straight ahead again and yards after contact, yards after you know, first being collisioned. He's he's unique. He can run, he can catch, runs tremendous routes because of all the physical attributes who've already talked about with him. And then he catches the heck out of the football. And the other thing that he'll do is block. I mean he'll stick his nose right in the chest of anybody, a big old linebacker or you know, smaller safety or whatever the case may be. Whatever needs to be done, Chase Brown is all about doing it.
Speaker 2: We've got a lot of friends here today. There are members of the Dave Lapham entourage in town this weekend of honor ceremony, which is great. Our dear friend Paul Hirrens is here today from who day in the UK.
Speaker 3: How about that all the way from England comes Paul.
Speaker 2: Lasky enough to have given you a congratulatory present, Yes, when he arrived in town a few days. Absolutely, So we're gonna take a time out. When we come back, we'll be talking about some news that broke yesterday. Bengals linebacker Logan Wilson has requested a trade. We'll hear from Zach Taylor about that. Next. This is the Bengals Pepp Browley Show, presented by Just Bear Chicken here on ESPN fifteen thirty and Fox Sports thirteen sixty thirty two.
Speaker 6: Seconds left, third down and five. Tannehill ready for the shotgun snap. He has the ball, He's back to throw, looking throws over the middle, Robin interception. The Bengals have it at the forty seven yard line. Twenty seconds on the clock.
Speaker 7: And the Bengals will have the ball about fifteen yards away from Evan McPherson's long field goal range.
Speaker 2: Logan Wilson with the interception on the tip ball.
Speaker 3: Logan Wilson gets the tip interception and Tannehill now.
Speaker 8: One eight down.
Speaker 2: Many great plays that linebacker Logan Wilson has made over the years in a Bengals uniform. That one, of course, in the playoff game at Tennessee in twenty twenty one lead under the game winning field goal as the Bengals eventually made it to Super Bowl fifty six. Logan Wilson, however, has lost his place in the starting line up. A couple of weeks ago, in the Green Bay game, he came out. Rookie Barrett Carter started in his place. They remained the starters last week in the victory of the Pittsburgh Steelers, and they will be the starters again on Sunday when the Bengals host the New York Jets. Logan Wilson is twenty nine years old. He's obviously disappointed. He's got a lot of good football left in him, and I'm sure he believes he's still worthy of being in the starting lineup. So this week he has requested a trade. I would not expect it to happen this year. He's got another year on his contract next year. Maybe in the offseason, but the Bengals are still obviously trying to get to the playoffs. Yeah, trying to be in contention when Joe Burrow hopefully returns in December. And after those two rookies, Logan Wilson's the next guy in. He's still getting a decent number of snaps. So even though he's requested a trade, I'd be surprised if it happened.
Speaker 3: I agree with you, Dan, I mean, I think he's part of their plan for this season. He's gonna be if there's an injury to either one of those guys. He's the first, he's the third guy. Like you say, he's the next guy up. He's in there and he'll be taking a ton of snaps at that point in time. But you know, they they're running like a four three four look with Logan Wilson as the third linebacker. You know, then they're also running like a five to two with five down lineman two linebackers. Those two linebackers are the young guys, and then four in the second there and then of course they can runs as many different configurations and looks they want with the front seven or you know, and then have four in the in the defensive backfield that'll be consistent. Then you get nickel and dime packages where you know it's all over the board. Then may not be that many down linemen left on the football field. It's mostly linebackers, defensive backs, you know, lining up in different coverages, different blitz packages, different configurations, and Al Golden does all of it. But I think you know, Al Golden will be the first to tell you that, Hey, we Logan Wilson, he's got snaps left in him. We know that. You know he's going to help us. He'll be involved in some packages that are significant packages that we're going to run. You know, they're not throwaway packages. They are going to be meaningful in games that we go out and win during the course for the season. So I agree with you again in summation, Logan Wilson ain't going anywhere this year.
Speaker 2: Zach Taylor has obviously talked to Logan Wilson about this situation. He talked to him before he was essentially taken out of the starting lineup. They have talked since earlier Today, Zach Taylor was asked about those conversations with Logan Elson.
Speaker 9: It was more about Barrett than it was about Logan. I see a very high ceiling in Barrett. I see some great qualities in him that I wanted to see more of, And the only way to do that was to pickspan in the RAR.
Speaker 3: So that's where's at.
Speaker 2: And I told him, you.
Speaker 9: Know, he's in a position where there's a young player that I think has a really high ceiling, and so that's the decision.
Speaker 2: I'm Carter started forty games at Clemson, he was a captain, he was a four to zero student. He's got great athleticism, and the Bengals want to get him on.
Speaker 3: The field exactly. I mean, he's good for him, he's impressed. He's done a whole lot of good things. And like you've heard right there with Zach's the tape of Zach's interview, I mean, the guy's a four ohero student, got extremely high football IQ. He's got a mental acuity overall for everything he is. He's thirsty for knowledge. He's coaches say, and teammates, veteran teammates say. He asks great questions, very you know, high level questions that coaches might ask. You know, he's that kind of a player. So you know, he's got to make room for him. And unfortunately, when you have to make room for one, somebody loses an offer or something that he's been doing for a number of years. Significant staffs and logan Wilson's suffering through that right now.
Speaker 2: One thing that I feel pretty confident about is that even though he has requested a trade, Logan Wilson's not going to be a problem.
Speaker 3: No, it's not that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is not like a Carlos Dunlap situation back in twenty nineteen, where he essentially bad attituded his way right out of town, forced their hand to make a trade just because he was he had become a gigantic pain in the butt. Logan Wilson's not that kind of guy. I would not expect anything like that.
Speaker 3: I agree with you one hundred thousand percent. You know, I think he's uh, he's he's good people. He's at a high, high level person. He's a intelligent uh, got great morals, you know, ethics, high standards. He's been raised right, He's got a lot of friends in that organization. Teammates, coaches, other organizational people. So yeah, I don't think. I don't think Logan Wilson is going to be a stick in the mud. I don't think Logan Wilson's going to be, you know, a jet a detriment to what they're doing. He's not going to be in the locker room, a cancer in the locker room that when everybody's celebrating, he's pouting and sulking. That I don't expect anything like that out of Logan Wilson whatsoever.
Speaker 2: So we do know that the rookies will start at linebacker on Sunday. We don't know the situation at guard. Last week, Jalen Rivers started at right guard. Dylan Fairchild, coming back from injury, did not start at left guard Dalton Reisner did. Reisner's played really well the last couple of weeks. The Bengals had a running game last Thursday, so it'll be interesting to see if Telling Fairchild slides right back into the starting lineup or if the Bengals take the you know what, as long as things are rolling right now, let's wait a little while before we make that switch.
Speaker 3: It's good to have options, you know, And that's what they've got. They've got three guys that they know can play the guard position and three guys that can play either one of the guard positions, which gives them the versatility aspect that every franchise craze. Really. Reiser has graded out well. Risner's graded out as one of their most effective offensive linemen last week when they ran the ball as effectively as they did. So you know, you you don't look at that and say, eh, that's dismissed. You know, it doesn't count. Yeah, it counts. Playing against the Pittsburgh Steelers. I mean, that's that's a very good defensive football team. They've got a rich history, they've got a culture, they have a tradition. They play the run. You know, they're as salting that regard. The Bengals ran the ball very effectively against him. So do you want to break that combination up the rookie Fairchild and rise or do you want to, you know, go with another young buck who's I think is going to be around for a long time. I think he's going to be a great player. He's Jalen Rivers is very very gifted physically, big guy, long arms, long legs, you know, leverage that he gets he locks into people when he's blocking him in the running game, passing game, and finishes him. He's got a little bit of a nasty disposition to him. You know, he wants to win. He wants to win every single snap, every single rep. He's been taught well, he's been coached well, you know, he's had good coaches at a very young age, in the developmental stages and of his of his football career. So the Bengals are fortunate they've got they've got options at that guard position.
Speaker 2: Dan, for sure, no doubt. All right, we're gonna take a time out. Coming up next, the Jet are coming to town on Sunday. Their quarterback play has not been good so far this year. But don't take my word for it. We'll hear from the Jets owner blasting this quarterback when we come back. This is the Bengals pep Rally Show. We are live at the On the Rhine Eatery. It's the food hall on the second floor above the downtown Kroger at Court and Walnut. Here on ESPN fifteen thirty and Fox Sports thirteen sixty. Dan Horden, Ring of Honor inductee Dave Lapham with you this afternoon from the On the Rhine Eatery here in downtown Cincinnati, the food court above the downtown Kroger at Courton Walnut. Show is on the air until six o'clock tonight, and Bengals running back Chase Brown will be our special guest from five to six says. The Bengals get set to host the New York Jets on Sunday. This week's game is presented by Fifth Third Bank. The Jets arow and seven. They've got a new head coach this year and Aaron Glenn, the former defensive coordinator for the Detroit Lions. Things obviously have not gone well so far, and Jets owner Woody Johnson was asked about his new head coach, Aaron Glenn earlier this week.
Speaker 3: What you're confidence level and Aaron to turn it around.
Speaker 10: Well, it looks like he's turning around parts of it.
Speaker 11: You know.
Speaker 10: It's hard when you have a quarterback with you know, with a rating that we've got, you know, is I mean, he has the ability, but something just is not jibing. But if you look at any any head coach of the quarterback like that, you're going to see similar results. If you are across the league.
Speaker 2: You have to play consistently with.
Speaker 5: You know, at that position.
Speaker 10: And that's what we're going to try to do in the remainder of the season. So someone gives you hope, then he send you the prom I just think defense, special teams are doing better.
Speaker 2: Defense is pretty good. Hope we can just.
Speaker 10: Complete a pass, it would look good.
Speaker 2: Uncommon to here an NFL owner roll the bus over his quarterback, but that's what Wody Johnson this did this week. Specifically, without saying the name, he is blasting Justin Fields, right, the former Ohio State quarterback and former first round draft pick by the Bears who is with the Steelers last year. He's with the Jets as a free agent this year. And there's some truth to what Woody Johnson was saying, because the Jets are only averaging one hundred and forty one passing yards per game.
Speaker 3: That's amazing in this era of football. One hundred and forty one yards passing it. And it's not like, you know, Justin Fields. He's shown that he can play quarterback at a very high level, and he's got Garrett Wilson, you know, as a receiver to get the ball down the football field too. I mean, that guy's guys as good as there is in the National Football League. You know, he's got a good tight end and Mason Taylor's. They aren't blessed with a plethra of deep threats and multi talented wide receivers. But what he feels like he's done a pretty good job in getting targets in athletes for Justin Fields and Tyrod Taylor to get the football too. And Bresee Hall is a good receiver out of the backfield. I mean he's better than most running backs running real good, solid routes and catching the football. He's got very good soft hands.
Speaker 2: So we do anticipate that Justin Fields will not start on Sunday, that it will be the thirty six year old veteran Tyrod Taylor. Field was benched at halftime last week. Tyrod finished up against Carolina, didn't play very well, no touchdowns, two picks. Jets have not scored a touchdown as a team in two weeks. But you would expect Tyrod Taylor, based on his history at least, to give them a little more of a passing threat than Justin Fields has given them so far this year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you would. I mean his history that you know, I mean, he's he's played good football in the past. I mean he's he's a competent NFL quarterback. Is he a star or no? Is he average? Probably pretty average, you know in terms of what there is around the National Football League, But a lot of pressure on him. There's no question about that, because in this league, your football team only goes as far as the quarterback takes it. And the Bengals have been blessed to have, you know, quarterbacks like Kenny Anderson, boomeras Ize, and Joe Burrow. I mean, those three quarterbacks are as good as anybody's role call at the quarterback position with any team in the National Football League. So you get spoiled a little bit with those with those kind of guys under center. And right now, the New York Jet Jets are proven the old axiom that you only go as far as your quarterback takes you.
Speaker 2: So you mentioned the name Garrett Wilson. The Jets injury report for today isn't out yet, but Garrett Wilson has not been practicing this week. He missed last week's game with a knee injury. We spoke to Rich Domini from ESPN, who covers the Jets on Wednesday night. He said he didn't expect Garrett Wilson to play, Sauce Gardner is in concussion protocol, he is not expected to play. So the Jets only have so many great players and two of their very best, probably two of their top three, I agree, are not expected to play on Sunday.
Speaker 3: I think probably it's they're two top players, you know. I mean, uh, when when you're oh and seven like they are, and you're down your two top weapons offensively and defensively, uh, you know, and offensively of course talking about Garrett Wilson, and defensively we're talking about the UC's best or one of their finest, Sauce Gardener, I mean when you when you're talking about being down your two best players and struggling with an one seven record future and look all that bright, you know. And Cincinnati Bengals are at pay Corps. They play well at pay Corps. The fan base is very supportive and in full throat at pay Corps. And the New York Jets are facing a tough task this week, There's no doubt about it. The Cincinnati Bengals feel, like, you know, with a three and four mark right now, that they are turning things around, the worm is turning, so to speak, and that they feel they're a legitimate contender along with a bunch of other plus through other teams in the NFL for a playoff berth though, and then see what happens after that.
Speaker 2: As for the Bengals, injury. A situation brought to you by the Kettering Health Network. Trey Henderson didn't practice today, He was limited in the previous practices this week. He is officially listed as questionable yeah for the game on Sunday.
Speaker 3: And that's a huge loss of Trey Henderson's not coming off the edge, you know, the blind side of you get quarterback. The New York Jets are struggling at the quarterback position. The thing that you want to do is pressure that young those quarterbacks that are having difficulty making quick decisions with the football. In my mind, that's the biggest thing that quarterback can do for his team is decide what to do with the football right now. That's what Joe Flackow is doing for the Bengals with all of his experience. He sees it before it happens. He's getting the ball out. I mean it is getting in the air very very quickly. Not the case with the Jets. I'll guarantee you. Trey Hendrickson wants to play. It's an zero to seven team. He's looking at potentially racking up a couple of three sacks. He doesn't want to miss this opportunity to get after the quarterback from the blind side, and he's one of the best pass rushers, blind side, front side, whatever side there is in the NFL.
Speaker 2: Dealing with a hip injury. He apparently said he wanted to play last week as well, but the hip did not allow that to happen. We'll see what happens on Sunday. With Trey officially listed as questionable, We're going to take a time out. Coming up next, twenty three year old of Marius Mims discusses his forty year old quarterback Jeff Flaco. This is the Bengals pep Rally Show. We are live at the on the Rhine Eatery in downtown Cincinnati on ESPN fifteen thirty and Fox Sports thirteen sixty. Dan Hordan, Ring of Bonner Indugdeed Dave lap I'm with you this afternoon. It's the Bengals pep Rally Show, presented by Just Bear Chicken. We are live at the on the Rhine Eatery in downtown Cincinnati. Chase Brown will be our special guest in the final hour of the show. If you were going to the Bengals Jets game on Sunday, don't forget to stop by pregame at the Banks that happens before every regular season home game. With live music, outdoor games, and plenty to do for all ages. It is the perfect pregame stop. Is it Bengals dot Com slash Jungle Zone for more information. Joe Flaco getting set to make his second check that third start as the Bengals quarterback second at pay Corpse Stadium. He's been awesome so far, particularly over the last six quarters. In two games as the Bengals starting quarterback, He's completed sixty five percent of his passes, five touchdowns, no picks, a passer rating of one hundred, and obviously a great victory over Pittsburgh last Thursday. Let's hear from right tackle A Marius Vims, all of twenty three years old, speaking about his forty year old QB.
Speaker 12: Crazy, how patient, how calm he is. Nothing seems to overwhelm him. He's seen every look possible. I feel like, eighteen years in the league, there's nothing you haven't seen. There's not a formation you haven't been in, there's not a play you haven't ran.
Speaker 3: So he came in the.
Speaker 12: League when I was four years old, so I grew I grew up watching him, So like that was like Ravens and the I'm just being honest with I grew up watching him in Big Bing go At It and that was like the game, always like watching. So it's just crazy being in the Hoddle, like you know, him, him being my quarterback, you know, like like I'm living on.
Speaker 3: The drains still.
Speaker 12: So like I said, we were rolling with him, and you know, I'm just I'm just glad to be a part of him.
Speaker 13: Man.
Speaker 12: I'm just glad to you know, I can go out here and take them on Sundays, Mondays and Thursdays whatever we.
Speaker 2: Play Sunday this week. Yeah, to New York Jets, what was comparable for you in your playing days, what older guy was still playing, whether it was with the Bengals or on opposing team that you had vividly remembered. I watched this guy when I was, you know, eight years old, and yeah, I'm on the same field.
Speaker 3: You know. I do remember watching the Bengals play, and I do remember watching the two Bobs, Bob Johnson and Bob Trumpy. You know, they were veteran players. Bob Johnson was the first pick ever, the first pick of the draft, when the Cincinnati Bengals drafted him All Americans Center out of Tennessee, and he held down the fort for for a number of years. Was a great player, I mean, very intelligent, and went on to have an unbelievable business career in Cincinnati when he was done playing for the Cincinnati Bengals. A huge citizen here in our fine community. But him Trumpy Trump. He was sive speed, ratio freaking nature back in that day. Big guy six y five plus probably close to six x turning twenty five hundred and thirty pounds, could really run, stretch the field. Safety's feared getting in one on one matchups with him because his body was so big and he could run so well. He'd make contested catch after contested catch on just about anybody, Pro Bowlers, whatever the case may be. So those two guys, then, from an opponent's standpoint, you know, I always think to Pittsburgh Steel as the best team that I was playing against in that time in my career. And Joe Green was a veteran defensive lineman, and they called him mean Joe Green, you know, because he would he would definitely do some things post snap every once in a while that would or post whistle. I should say that would draw the ire of a lot of a lot of people and draw the attention the officials, and you know, it'd stuck on your hand. He'd you know, kick you in the in the privates, whatever the case be, whatever had to be done to get your attention. Joe Green was not above doing it. But he was a member that Steel Curtain defense, Pittsburgh Steel, a defense that was so unbelievable. He and Ernie Fatz, Holmes, Dwhite, White, Elsie Greenwood, Jack hamm Andy Russell, they were just they were dynamic. They had a hell of a football team. So those are those are some of the guys, teammates and opponents that you know would would probably make my list.
Speaker 2: I know your favorite player as a kid was Bob Lilly. Yeah, his final year was your rookie year. Yes, but the Bengals didn't play Dallas.
Speaker 3: Correct now didn't play Dallas. But watching him and talking to people that played against him, they just could not believe how when you hit Bob Lily you felt like you were hitting a brick wall, felt like, you know, it was like a steel girder or something. He just had. He had an unbelievable forum. I used to watch him, you know, deliver that forum and just like lift players, you know, jack their head back, you get caught with a Boby Lily forum on your chin. It was not a pleasant experience, etc. And had eight number seventy four for the Great Bob Lily and those doomsday defenses of the Bob Lily era. So when you're a player and you're a member of a defensive football team that has some sort of NFL historical nickname to it, like Steel Curtain Doomsday defense, there's a reason.
Speaker 2: For that, no doubt. Yeah, all right, we'll take a time out. Coming up next, the Bengals had a running game last week.
Speaker 3: I'm about it.
Speaker 2: We'll see if they can do it again on Sunday and hear from Joe Flacco next. This is the Bengals Pepper Valley Show, presented by Just Bear Chicken. Here on ESPN fifteen thirty in Fox Sports thirteen sixty. It is a Friday night in Cincinnati, and that means Friday Night Stripes is coming up, presented by Ohio cat Tonight's venue is Mount Healthy High School, and Friday Night Stripes features interactive activities for fans ninety minutes before kickoff featuring the Football Toss, Bengals giveaways, and photo ops with who Day Again. It's coming up at Moody Mount Healthy tonight. It's Friday Night Stripes presented by Ohio cat So. As you know, for much of this year, the Bengals have struggled to get their running game going in their first six games. In five out of the six, they had fifty five or fewer rushing yards. Their best performance in the first six games was eighty five rushing yards, which isn't particularly good. But last week against Pittsburgh it was awesome. One hundred and forty two rushing yards on only twenty three carries. Chase Brown had his first one hundred yard rushing performance of the year. Chase is going to join us for the final hour of this show from five to six. Let's hear from quarterback Joe Flacco on the emergence of a running game last Thursday.
Speaker 14: I think initially the run game did spark us that little that thirty yard run we had and that was our first scoring drive, I believe, and then the next one we came out and have another little chunk run. Anytime that you can, you know, get some of those games in the running game, it's going to help your offense out a lot. So I think in some in Thursday's case, the run game definitely helped us out. But we just got to, you know, like I said, we got to just continue to work at it and have faith that you know, we're getting better, and you know, one game doesn't necessarily indicate what the next is going to be. And and just like I said before about you know, the process of it all, I don't think we can really worry about that. I think we just got to continue to work on getting better and trust that we're doing the right things, and then on Sundays it'll show up.
Speaker 2: Did anything stand out to you for why the running game was better against Pittsburgh.
Speaker 3: I think there was a little bit more persistence to stay with it, you know, and and make sure you established the run game. I think they knew how important it was to be able to be balanced against the defense as good as the Pittsburgh Steelers. And you know, quite honestly, watching the game and looking at tape before the game, this this Pittsburgh Steeler defense is not one of the best that Mike Tomlin's ever had. They're not dominant like the steel curtain defense is the players that they had on those defenses, Joe Green and a company like we talked about earlier in the show. So I think that if the Bengals want to get where they're thinking they can get, and that's a potential playoff birth and then win a playoff game and advance and continue to work your way through division and conference level and make it to a super Bowl, they have to have a running game that they can count on. In my mind, Chase Brown is a back that can be that guy. He can be the Belkow. He can be the workhorse running back that they can you know, give the football to time after time. I mean, at this point in the season, they're averaging less than sixty nine yards per game on the ground, sixty eight point nine yards, So I mean there's a lot of meat left on the bone. I mean, they can rush the ball much better than that. And even when they were you know, when we had Kenny Anderson a quarterback, the Bengals also had boomeros Ias in a quarterback. They had running games. You know, we had Pete Johnson, they had James Brooks and Nicky Woods. I mean, those guys ran the football and opponent. Opposing defenses respected the fact that when you went into the football game, you better buckle up your chin strap because the Bengals is gonna run the football at you, and they were gonna throw it too. They're gonna make plays. But balance is the key. It's it's always has been, and in my mind, I think it always will be.
Speaker 2: The Jets have a good front on defense, but they are giving up quite a few rushing yards one twenty nine point three per game. That is twenty third in the NFL.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that's that surprised me when I saw that number. That's a little bit higher than I thought it might be because, I mean, you look at the at the personnel. Quinn Williams is a stud. I mean that guy Q they call him, I mean, he's he's a he's a man. He's a man amongst boys. Really not only big, strong, square, you know, built load to the ground. He's powerful. Uh, he's been in the weight room. He's got some strong legs, man clads and hamstrings, his calves and he's he's a he's a low. And then you know Sauce Gardner. We talk about him as a as a cover guy, and you know this Dan from watching him and getting to know him at U. See, he'll hit you. I mean when he's out there in space, now he'll close He'll close ground quickly and strike you man and get you on the ground. He doesn't He's not a guy that misses a lot of tackles in that secondary.
Speaker 2: Might not have to worry about him on Sunday if he misses the guy with a concussion. So it would obviously be a big blow to the New York Jet. Sure, we still haven't seen their official Friday afternoon injury report, but as of yesterday, it seemed unlikely that sas Gardner would make the dance this week.
Speaker 3: And that's unfortunate because you know, coming back home where he played college football, he's got a lot of friends and I'm sure family be coming into town here in Cincinnati to watch Sauce Gardner go at the Cincinnati Bengals. And of course, when he was at UC I'm sure he had a lot of players that he looked up to college players always do I know I did with NFL players. So unfortunate that he's not gonna be able to take advantage of that.
Speaker 2: Coming up next. Well, had to New York can get the lowdown on the N seven j Ets Oooh Jets Jets. This is the Bengals pep Rally Show Live from the On the Rhine Eatery on ESPN fifteen thirty and Fox Sports thirteen sixty.
Speaker 1: This is Bengals pep Rally presented by Just Bared Chicken on the Bengals Radio Network. Paycre Paycor is proud to be the official hr software provider of the Cincinnati Bengals. Kettering Health Best Care for the Best Fans. Kettering Health, Official healthcare provider of the Cincinnati Bengals. This is ESPN fifteen thirty, the official home of the Cincinnati Bengals.
Speaker 2: It is Ring of Honor weekend here in Cincinnati. Lamar Parris and my broadcast partner Dave Lapham going into the Bengals Ring of Honor on Sunday. The celebration has begun here at the on the Rye Eatery for the Bengals pep Rally Show presented by Just Baired Chicken. We've got the Lapham entourage, inn we do. It's awesome. I know friends and family coming in this weekend. We can't wait for halftime on Sunday. The Bengals taking on the New York Jets, and let's turn our attention to this week's opponent. To do that, we welcome in Brian Costello, who covers the Jets for the New York Post. Brian, welcome to the show. We appreciate your time. Let's talk about the quarterback situation. Aaron Glenn still is not saying whether the starting quarterback will be Justin Fields or Tyrod Taylor. What do you think is the answer to that question?
Speaker 8: Hey, guys, thanks for having me. I think it has to be Tyrod Taylor. You know, Justin Fields really hasn't played well outside of the first game of the season. The last two weeks have really been terrible. Jets haven't scored a touchdown, bench at halftime last week. You know, I don't see how you go back to them up to that and then throwing their owner Woody Johnson comes out Tuesday and really blames the season on Justin Fields basically all the struggles. So I think it's very hard to see a situation where the Jets turned back the field this week. So I fully expect Tyrod Taylor to be the quarterback on Sunday.
Speaker 3: So besides the quarterback position. Obviously there's been struggles there. How have the New York Jets as a football team played I mean, is there a position group that has caused the most problems other than the quarterback causing problems? Of course that's the most important position, and those problems are always the most problematic as such, But is there a position group that has played well enough to win? Or they all struggled?
Speaker 15: Well? Did anything?
Speaker 8: The quarterback play has been so poor, you know, they've given up a ton of sacks in recent weeks. They gave up nine to the Broncos two weeks ago in London. They give a five last week, you know, but it's hard to say is that the offensive line or is that because the quarterback is holding the ball too long. They really haven't been able to get a running game going. But it's like, again, if you can't throw the ball, teams are just going to stack the box stop the run. So it's been hard offensively to judge that. Defensively, they were terrible for a few weeks there. They've they've kind of gained their footing. The last two weeks. They've given up thirteen points in each game against the Broncos and the Panthers, they played better, So that's been that's been a big improvement for them. But you know, I wouldn't say there's any one position group that's really playing well right now.
Speaker 2: We are visiting with Brian Casteller from the New York Post. The Jets have a great wide receiver in Garrett Wilson. He's had three straight one thousand yard seasons at one hundred and one catches. Last year he's out on Sunday against the Bengals because of a knee injury. How is the receiving corps when you subtract Garrett Wilson.
Speaker 8: Terrible?
Speaker 15: So to put it to put it unt league, I mean, I think even you're probably your biggest Bengals fans out there would probably hard press to name who.
Speaker 8: The other Jets wide receivers are. You know, they probably have heard of Allen Blizzard, the rest of them, just you know, Josh Reynolds, Tyler Johnson, you know, Arion Smith's a rookie fourth round pick. It's rough, they know they you know, coming into the season, wide receiver was probably like the biggest question we had is why they didn't do more to add to that position. And now with Garret Wilson add it's really under the spotlight. They do have Mason Taylor's a rookie tight end who shows some promise. Brief Hall could be a good receiving running back, but they really they just haven't used him very well recently. It's been kind of a strange thing to figure out. So to me, you know, without Garret Wilson in there, you've got to get guys involved who aren't receiver. You gotta get the running backs involved, you gotta get tight uns involved. And we'll see if they can do that on Sunday.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I would think they'd throw the ball to Briefs, haul out of the backfield a ton screens or how a you're going to give him the ball in space. I think he's one of their one of their best weapons, one of the only weapons left. Really. Let's let's uh talk about defense for a little bit. Watching tape on Quentin Williams. He's one of the best in the league. This dude's is studding to me. He's a He's a star interior defensive lineman. Sauce Gardner. Uh here, fans in Cincinnati know all about him from his playing days at you see all American defensive back at you see what else have they got? How How has the New York Jets defense played so far?
Speaker 8: Yeah, like I said, they struggled early, you know, sort of. You know, new coordinator Steve Wilkes is the coordinator who's the veteran coach. So the transition I think has been tough for them.
Speaker 15: You know.
Speaker 8: But like you said, Quinn Williams, he's really got and he's just he's just disrupted when you watch him, he really he don't think a ton of sacks, but he's he's gonna mess up plays. He's gonna be in the backfield a lot. Uh, They're getting that Quincy Williams, Quinn's brother, a linebacker. He's missed the last four games with his shoulder injury, so he should be back for this game, which I think will help them in the middle. Uh, Sauces out with a concussion, So that's gonna be big without no Saft Gardener's gonna hurt them. They're gonna have Brandon Stevens, who they signed as a free agent from Baltimore, who's played, He's been up and down, he's played played okay, And then they have a rookie Asy Thomas out of Florida states he's gonna start. So it's you know, it's been up and down for this defense, and this is gonna be a big test for them. Obviously with with Chase and Higgins against your you're facing a rookie, he's making his first start. That's gonna be tough for them. I mean, it's pretty amazing. They have no interceptions, guys. They they don't have one interception. They have one fumble recovery all season. Uh, they went the first night games without a turnover. They got one takeaway two weeks ago. So hard hard to win football games when you're not out taking the ball away. Now, you know, I've seen Joe Flacco turn the ball over sometimes he was playing with the Jets, So maybe Flacco gives them some opportunities. But that that is if you're looking for the biggest knock on the Jets defense right now, they just haven't taken the ball away at all, and with an offense that's struggling like it has, they really he's a short field sometimes and they're not getting it well.
Speaker 2: Chatting with Brian Casteller from The New York Post, I joked earlier this week, Brian that when Joe Flacca was with the Jets, he was still a kid. He was only thirty five to thirty seven for those three years. Are you surprised by how well he's playing for Cincinnati. I know it's a limited sample size, but for the last six quarters, he's been incredible.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm surprised how well he's played. You know, he he's got an amazing arm. I mean so like he reminds me of another old Jets Testa Herdi, who played deep, deep into his you know, he played this into his forties and he was he never lost that arm strength, right, Like, that doesn't That's not something that seems to go away for guys that are that strong. So I'm not surprised he's throwing the ball well. But yeah, I didn't see this. You know, this is happening for Cincinnati, right this he and like again, look he did it two years ago to Cleveland. He had a good, good run, but with the Jets he only won one game. He started nine. I think he went one in eight with the Jets. You know, he didn't have that many good moments, so it's pretty amazing that he has. He's having this this you know, renaissance in his career.
Speaker 3: Oh and seven start for the New York Jets this year. No team wants to go seven games and not taste the sweet nectar of the victory. That's that's tough sledding, for sure. What's the locker room been like? Is the locker room still does Aaron Glenn still have control of the locker room of the players still respecting and trusting him like they did before the season started. And are you surprised that they started off without a victory in seven games?
Speaker 8: Yeah, he's still got the locker room. You know, it's a it's not a happy place right now, as you can imagine, there's a lot of you know, it's it's getting more and more negative as the weeks go on. But I don't think they're pointing the finger at him necessarily, And I don't feel like there's, you know, a dysfunctional locker room. A pretty young team to me, older guys are usually the guys that get this gruntled with the coaches, So I think they're they're okay in that regard. I am surprised that they're own seven. I thought they'd have a tough start to the year because uh, you know, new quarterback, new coaches. They had, They had some tough games to start the year. They played some really good teams. But I didn't think they'd lose all these games in a row. And it's been surprising how poorly they've looked at these games, because even it just hasn't it has not looked good. They've taken terms kind of the defenses look horrible and the offenses look horrible. They've had some games where they just committed too many penalties and turn the ball over. So it's been slow so far.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Brian, My final question has to do with your Twitter profile. At the top, you say New York jetspet reporter for the New York Post. Then you add, I don't write the headlines. The Post famously has great headlines on the back cover about the local sports teams. Have you ever had a coach or a player come up to you not realizing that it's not your fault that they were lampooned on the back cover.
Speaker 8: Yes, yes, I mean plenty of times.
Speaker 15: It happens.
Speaker 8: Happens quite a bit. And even now our website has great, great headlines on the website, and so that I run into that and That's why that's there. We once we once to put Rex Ryan in a clown suit.
Speaker 15: At one point we had.
Speaker 8: Restaurant in and uh, Tim Tebow and Mark Change and clown suits and so that I remember that one the same as the reskin and appreciate that one. But yeah, it's it's uh, it can be tough sometimes because those headlines are the headlines can be rough. And the guys who write headlines never have to face the players of the coaches, so I get to do that.
Speaker 3: That's tough. That's tough duty, right, They're tough sledding. My final question, watching and you're in the locker room, you're talking to players, talking to coaches, what do they think of the Cincinnati Bengals when they watch tape of the Cincinnati Bengals? What do they think of them as a football team?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I think you obviously they respect the offensive firepower with chafen Haigens is basically that you know, you've heard that all week. I think they know what Flaco's capable of, and defensively that kind of heard is like they feel like they're sort of in a similar situation as a Jets with a new coordinator and adjusting to that, but they're getting better, and so I think there's a healthy respect for the Bengals at this point. The jet you're on with seven, you're you're not really you're not taking anyone lately. So they're they've been respectful, and I think, uh, I think they expect a good game from the Bengals on sundn.
Speaker 2: Right, and really appreciate your time. Save travels to Cincy this weekend.
Speaker 8: All right, guys, thanks for having me.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: That is Brian Costello, the beat writer covering the Jets for The New York Post. We'll take a time out when we come back. It is this week's fun Fact segment, where you get to know the person under the pads. This is the Bengals pep Rally Show presented by Just Bear Chicken, live from the on the Rhine Eatery in downtown Cincinnati, where Chase Brown will join us in forty five minutes. He're out ESPN fifteen thirty in Fox Sports thirteen sixty, Ken hordand Ring of Honor inductee Dave Lapham with you this afternoon on The Bengals pep Rally Show presented by Just Bear Chicken. We are live at the on the Rhine Eatery. It's the food hall above the downtown Kroger at Court and Walnut. The show is on the air until six o'clock tonight. Come out and get a picture with Chase Brown. He'll be here from five to six, happy to sign autographs during the commercial breaks. We look forward to having Chase Brown as our special guest as we get your set for the Bengals and Jets coming up on Sunday at one o'clock at pay Corpse Stadium. More on the matchup still to come on the show, but right now it's time for this week's Fun Fact segment, presented by Skyline Chilling. Time for some fun facts with defensive end Shamar Stewart. Your roots are Jamaican, correct.
Speaker 16: Yes, correct, my mom, everybody, Yeah, everybody, My favorite Jamaican ever had the chance to go.
Speaker 11: Yeah, when I was little. I haven't been in like it's all of the years. Maybe now it's been a while.
Speaker 2: You grew up near Miami. What do you like most about where you're from?
Speaker 8: Uh?
Speaker 16: The love for football, Like the city is just like it's all about football, like little league games, high school games, whatever it is at the whole community showing up, coming out to see.
Speaker 2: And yet I've read that when you were really young you weren't really a sports kid. Is that true?
Speaker 16: Yeah, no not at all. You know, I was more I was more of like a book nerd. Crazy to think that, but yeah.
Speaker 2: So what changed? What flipped the switch?
Speaker 16: One of my dettitude teachers in third grade forced me to play football like he was not taking over for an answer, So he got my grandma's number and basically forced me to force me to the part he was coaching.
Speaker 2: That that guy did you a favor.
Speaker 11: Yeah, his son is my best friend to this day.
Speaker 2: Now is it true that you were really the last kid picked in gym class when you were about in sixth grade? Oh?
Speaker 11: Yeah, for sure. I was terrible. I was horrible. They used to say, I have two left hands. Yeah, I was terrible.
Speaker 2: We're doing fun facts with Jamar Stewart. When you were junior in high school, one of your teammates was Ohio state wide receiver Jeremiah Smith. Could you tell then that he was going to be that guy?
Speaker 16: I knew he's gonna be great, but he just kept working. Now it just blew all everything I thought about him out the water. Like that lesson was there since he came to my high school, So not a big shock. I'll see what he did. Like first couple of weeks when he was in full camp, I was like, man, Jude's crazy.
Speaker 11: As a freshman in high school.
Speaker 2: It's crazy to me to think that you two guys are in the same high school team.
Speaker 11: Yeah, and we weren't winning nothing.
Speaker 3: Crazy crazy right.
Speaker 2: Bad quarterback.
Speaker 11: I'll car with d one. I don't know what it was.
Speaker 2: The other teams must have been really good.
Speaker 11: Man, I guess, so it's crazy.
Speaker 2: We're doing fun Facts from Schamar Stewart. You were one of the top recruits in the country. Did you enjoy the process having all of those schools and coaches essentially flirt?
Speaker 16: No, no, man, those phone calls just get crazy. I used to come home, hey man, call me like one Like I got like ten calls from different coaches from all across.
Speaker 11: The country like hey man, get back eby wait on it.
Speaker 16: Every asker your phone. I'm like, I don't be wanting to talk, Like what are there talk about?
Speaker 2: You ultimately chose to go to Texas A and M. What did you enjoy most about your three years with the Aggies?
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 16: You know, the coaching staff there, Regis treat you like family, you know, even though I'm two thousand miles away from home, like I didn't feel like I was missing home very much. So and plus I made lifelong friends at A and M, so like I feel like I had a home away from home, you know.
Speaker 2: So I read that your nickname at Texas A and M was the Menace? Is that true? And who gave you that nickname?
Speaker 16: I forgot who exactly gave it to me, But I got it back in high school, going every day trying to get better. So of course I'm a practice hard, you know, making hard for our offense, you know, playing hard in practice, going to make our offense better.
Speaker 2: And on in the games.
Speaker 16: You know, I'm just all over the field, and I'm just a little minutes on the field.
Speaker 2: What does the word menis represent to you?
Speaker 16: Somebody that's always been instructive? So I feel like that that defines me very well.
Speaker 2: So I broadcast the Bengals games up the radio. When you have a sack, would you like me and my broadcast partner Dave Lapham to say a sack by the Menace?
Speaker 3: I would love that.
Speaker 11: I will love that all.
Speaker 2: Right, Well, hopefully there will be a bunch this year. You have been compared to a Texas A and m legend Miles Garrett for obvious reasons, your similar size, similar athletic ability. What do you think of Miles Garrett? What do you think of the comparison?
Speaker 16: Man, He's a great player, and I feel like that's a blessed because the way he's doing it right now, he's cilling the game, and I feel like that's a very great, great comparison. I feel like we look we match up body wise. No, I'm trying to match someone play wise.
Speaker 2: Was it a goal of yours to top the numbers that he posted at his combine?
Speaker 5: Kind of?
Speaker 2: Sort of?
Speaker 16: You know, I feel like if I could get what you got, people will look at me a different light. So I tried my hardest. He got me in some areas, and I got him in some areas too.
Speaker 2: You got him in the forty, you got him in the broad jump. He got you by one inch in the vertical. That's pretty impressive.
Speaker 16: That's crazy because I felt like I jumped out my spine.
Speaker 11: It's crazy.
Speaker 2: All right, we're visiting with Shamar Stewart. Let's get back to athletic testing. Those numbers were freakish that you posted in Indianapolis. What do you consider to be your greatest athletic achievement? Did you dunk get a really early age? Yeah? What what stands out to you?
Speaker 13: Uh?
Speaker 5: I dunk.
Speaker 16: I got my first dunk in sixth grade. Sixth grade, yeah, five nine. That's amazing. You were the seventeenth overall pick in the draft. You'll always be referred to as first round draft pick Shamar Stewart. It becomes almost like a title. Can you describe the experience of being in Green Bay at Lambeau on Draft night? You know, I was really happy, you know, I was thankful for a moment, you know, me and my family, everybody that had been along with me every sip of the way, it was there, so you know, you know, I just took the night in enjoyed it. Not they didn't really have much expectations, just if it was godsp playing. So just wanted to be in the moment with everybody.
Speaker 2: I love. You did a phone call with reporters afterward, and you didn't specifically remember meeting with the Bengals at the combine, and I get it. It's speed dating. You're going from team to team to team. It's like, you know, fifteen minute meetings with all of these teams. When you came into Cincinnati and you saw Zach Taylor and you saw El Golden and you saw Jerry Montgomery, did it click back in? Did you remember?
Speaker 17: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, those guys.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it's kind of hard, like you remember.
Speaker 16: I had twenty two formos, a couple infemos, and then I had fifteen thirty visits. So my mind is just all over the place. I'm ready for it to be over. I'm ready to be in one place. So when I see them like, okay, I'm deafmember MIDI yo.
Speaker 2: The next day, you were in Cincinnati for a news com French. You were accompanied by your mentor, Mo, the man you call dad. How did he come into your life?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 8: He came.
Speaker 16: He became my coach after my freshman year of high school. I remember walking and seeing him for the first day. I was maybe like two two fifteen maybe he was like and I was like two fifteen six four.
Speaker 11: He's like, I don't know who you are, but I'm gonna make your best play of country.
Speaker 16: Fast forward five months later, I was the best parent in country and ever since that day, I just listened to everything he told me.
Speaker 2: Do you know what he saw in you?
Speaker 11: No? But I'm glad he did because I didn't see them myself.
Speaker 2: Other than playing football? What are you good at?
Speaker 11: I'm good at video games?
Speaker 16: Wedd in particular, I'm good at playing two K you know, call dou used to be my thing for a while.
Speaker 11: I'm trying to explore on the on the game of Horizon.
Speaker 2: On the flip side, is there anything that you are really terrible at? Singing?
Speaker 16: Oh, bait, The main one is singing. I'm terrible was singing. My voice is not meant for singing. God messing me with a lot of things, but singing was not.
Speaker 11: One of them.
Speaker 2: Even in the shower.
Speaker 11: Even in the shower, I'll be terrible.
Speaker 2: Have you given any thought to a sack celebration after.
Speaker 16: I get my first one, I'm a I'm gonna have to plan one out for the next one, because like now, they're coming in so but the first one, I don't got nothing plan for the first one.
Speaker 2: First one is whatever just happens in the moment, and then once you've got one under your belt, you can start playing.
Speaker 11: I'm making my next one my signature.
Speaker 2: All right, is there a team or an opponent that you are most excited to face?
Speaker 16: The Dolphins home team, you know, the East to have my favorite player, Tiger Carroll was my favorite player for a while being a kid watching those type of people on TV and then one now playing against them. You know, it's gonna be a big opportunity, you know, because I used to look up to those people and being on the same fields them at the same time.
Speaker 11: You know, it's a great It's a great on achievement.
Speaker 2: Christmas Week in prime time at Miami. That's gonna be quite the deal for you.
Speaker 16: Yeah, you know, the whole family's gonna be out there. You know, everybody's going to be cheering me on. I'm home anticipate I'll be very comfortable.
Speaker 2: Did you go to games there when you were young?
Speaker 11: I want to maybe a couple, not a lot, but a couple.
Speaker 2: A couple. More questions for Shamar Stewart. What do you like to splur John?
Speaker 16: I don't know, man, I really don't spend money like that. I'm really into cars though I'm in the cars. Oh, I spend a lot of money on shoes. I'm a sneakerhead. That's one of my guilty pressures. But other than that, old video games, yeah.
Speaker 2: Car shoes, video games pretty much. Did you buy your dream car?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 11: Yes, and what is it?
Speaker 16: I bought a Mercedes Nice I got I got like two dream cars, but I got a way a little bit because the other dream cars living more expensive.
Speaker 2: I'm a wait, but you had the classy route with your first one.
Speaker 3: I like that, Thank you?
Speaker 2: All right. Final fun fact for Shamar Stewart. This one's kind of deep. If you could meet anybody in history, living or deceased, who would that person be?
Speaker 11: It going to be one person?
Speaker 2: Now you can have more than one.
Speaker 11: Okay.
Speaker 16: I want to meet Tupac and want to meet Bernie Bernie Meck. Bernie Meck is hilarious. I used to girl watching the TV show and I wish one that could meet I could have meet him. But you know, and Tupauc, he's just like icon like, his way of thinking was just so different.
Speaker 11: I wish I could meet. I wish I could talk to him one day.
Speaker 2: Great combo, Mmm see I'll be I'll be tapped in now. All right, we appreciate your time. Best of lucky Rookie, year, Thanks so much.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: All right. That is first round draft pick Shamar Stewart. He returned to action last week against Pittsburgh. Still a little limited coming back from an ankle injury, but he should be close to one on Sunday.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he can play at a much higher level. I mean he's he's uh getting familiar with what it takes to compete at a high level in the National Football League. But he's got a good pedigree. I mean, played excellent brand of football in high school, played at Texas A and M. He's he's capable. He's extremely capable, and he has not he has not peaked yet or come close to peak yet. There's a lot of meat on that bone.
Speaker 2: We are ready to say the menace after his first NFLVE I love all right, We'll take a time out. Coming up next. The Bengals opened as a four and a half point favorite. This week, it's up to six and a half. But they had better not take the Jets like No, we'll discuss that here from Zach Taylor when we continue. You are listening to the Bengals Pepper Rally Show presented by Just Pair checking out ESPN fifteen thirty in Fox Sports thirteen sixty. It is a Friday afternoon in Cincinnati. The work week is just about done. The happy hour is under way as we get ready for a big football weekend high school football tonight. The twenty first ranked Bearcats host Baylor tomorrow at four, and of Noster Bengals take on the New York Jets this Sunday at one. Chase Brown is going to join us on this show in about twenty five minutes. He will be here from five to six. We have quite the international audience for the show this afternoon. Scott from Melbourne, Australia is here.
Speaker 3: How about it?
Speaker 2: Thank you for being here. Scott. Paul from the United Kingdom is here. Paul, our buddy two day in the UK. Many members of the Lapham Clan have come from far and wide. Yes, we've got friends from Maine and various spots in New England. Where is the furthest person traveling from to see you go into the Ring of Honor this weekend? You know, well, we.
Speaker 3: Got California, we get Arizona, we on Main Hampshire. Yeah, they're coming in from all over. That's awesome.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I love it.
Speaker 2: Fun events planned tonight tomorrow, and of course the big ceremony is coming up on Sunday at halftime.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's that. That is uh, something that I am still stunned about. Really, you're gonna.
Speaker 2: Get You're gonna get choked up on that field.
Speaker 3: Onside, I probably will. I'll probably be shedding a tear man. I think I will be. It's it's a it's a lifetime of uh, you know, I guess come comes lifetime of preparation and process comes to a conclusion. You know that you weren't necessarily expecting. You're hoping for it, but certainly weren't expecting it and certainly can't take it for granted.
Speaker 2: I'm a crier. I'll be blubbering in the booth. Hopefully will not get too choked up when I'm talking on the air. So let's talk about the matchup Bengals taking on the O and seven New York Jets. I mentioned earlier. The line opened at four and a half. Now the Bengals are favored by six and a half. Head coach Zach Taylor says his team had better not take this opponent lately.
Speaker 9: It would be a shame if anybody thought that, because that would mean that they have not watched the tape and that they're just Again, I don't think that we have those types of guys in the locker room, and that's on all of us players and coaches to make sure that there's none that mentality because this is a really difficult team. Again, like I said, they're well coached, they have a lot of talent, and we got to be ready for them.
Speaker 2: Yes, they're ow and seven. Five of the seven losses have been by one score. They should have beaten the Steelers in Week one. They lost that game thirty four to thirty two. They lost by seven last week. They lost by two to the Broncos two weeks ago. So yeah, I mean the oh to seven is the bottom line, but they could easily be three and four, four and three something like that right on.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think the National Football League, it's the thing that makes it attractive is anybody can beat anybody on any given Sunday, and that's what the fans love. Gamblers don't necessarily love it as much because they can't really count on anything. And the Bengals better not take the New York Jets for granted. With the oh and seven record as soon as you start to do that, now you're playing with dynamite, you're playing with fire, and you could lose control of your season quickly.
Speaker 2: Anybody can beat anybody. Keep that in mind.
Speaker 3: They have good players, They have NFL caliber players. Everybody on that football team was selected and drafted for a reason and or signed as a college free agent, as signed as an unrestricted free agent, and free agency veteran free agency. Don't think that they're not going to come in here and try to knock you off your high horse after you just beat the Pittsburgh Steelers, I'll guarantee you. Aaron Glenn is saying, hey, they're full of themselves right now. The Cincinnati Bengals think there's something special. They think they're in high cotton. They beat the Pittsburgh Steelers. That's a big division rival for them. Let's go in and knock them off. And you know the Jets are capable of doing it. Aaron Glenn knows it, Zach Taylor knows it. The Bengals better play like it's this game means everything everything to their season, because it truly does.
Speaker 2: The Bengals have not turned it over in the last two weeks since Joe Flacco has been their starting quarterback. The Jets are dead last in that category in the NFL, minus nine for the season. That's that's always the most important stat I think in any game, but I think it's particularly important this week. Don't turn it over against the Jets, and I feel really good about the Bengals chances.
Speaker 3: I agree with you, Dan, you know your football. I mean, don't give the New York Jets extra opportunities, extra possessions. You're playing with fire at that point. They're capable, They're capable of hurting you. They're capable of doing some things that you weren't necessarily anticipating or expecting. You know, you play a clean football game. I'd like to see them go at least plus one, but more like plus two plus three and win their turnover battle, because I agree with you with the turnover ratio is the single most important statistic in all football, be it high school, collegiate football or the National Football League. You have to hold on to each and every one of your possessions and maximize them and make sure that you don't give any extras to the opponent.
Speaker 2: All right, coming up next, do the Bengals have one of the best young cornerbacks in the NFL. We'll discuss that next. Yeah, you're listening to the Bengals pep Rowley Show here on Fox Sports thirteen sixties, Lapping the ball Man back on the Bengals pep Rally Show, presented by Jess Bear Chicken live from the on the Ryane Eatery. You're in downtown Cincinnati. It's the food hall above the downtown Kroger at Corton Walnut. Chase Brown is on his way. He will join us for the final hour the show.
Speaker 3: Nice.
Speaker 2: The Jets injury report is officially out. Sauce Gardner out, Garrett Wilson.
Speaker 3: Out, Wow, both of them.
Speaker 2: Former Bengal j two fella out about it. Knee Wogu one of the best kick returners in the league. He's got four career kick return touchdowns. He's out. A couple of reserves are also out. So the Jets in a much more dire injury state of things than the Bengals going into the game this week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's uh, that's some serious, uh devastating blows there. The Jets they're they're they've got good personnel. I mean, they're a National Football League team. No doubt about it. But you you lose your best return guy, you lose your best corner, you lose your best receiver, You're gonna feel that. I mean, you know, you Priest Holl is still a weapon offensively. I mean he can do, you know, multiple things for you. But you really have to going to a football game in the NFL with more than one weapon. You just that if it's one guy, he can be neutralized, he can be taken out of the game. And that's what the Cincinnati Bengals will be doing. I'm sure Al Golden will be like, Breese Hall is not going to hurt us, and there's not going to be any big plays executed by Breess Hall, you know, by hook and by crook, and to make sure that Breess Hall does not impact the outcome of this football game.
Speaker 2: I'm sure that DJ Turner would have been matched up against Garrett Wilson if Wilson had the green light to play. That now longer, no longer will be the case. DJ Turner has been awesome lately. He's up to thirteen passes defense this year that is number one in the NFL by three. Pro Football Focus has him graded as the number five cover corner in the NFL at this point of the season, so he is really emerging as one of the better young corners in the NFL. Let's hear from former second round draft pick DJ Turner.
Speaker 18: Miss mencil As keep saying this, the mental aspect of it on the field and off the field is just everything I've always said. But like last week, I didn't get faster or stronger. It's all mental imitate every day read write, I do a whole bunch calm out rain noises. I mean, I do a whole bunch of some and stuff, and then I just, you.
Speaker 2: Know, help prepare for the games lap. We've always known about the athleticism. He ran a four two six forty. After all, in the NFL Tom Brazy had a broad jump of ten feet eleven inches. So the guy is an incredible athlete. But now, as he just described, he's putting the mental aspect of the game together as well.
Speaker 3: He is. I mean, the thing about DJ Turner, he is he's smart. When you when you hear him, you can tell that he's intelligent. You can tell that he has an interest in a lot of things. I think he's inquisitive. I think he asked good questions. His teammates and coaches have said, he asked really really good questions, and he's he wants to be great. I mean, that's that's the biggest thing. That when when players do turn the corner and the worm turns for him and they start making more plays and and getting after it a little bit with a little bit more intensity, and the result it's it's because they want to be great. They want to be the best in the National Football League, and he's got the talents and abilities to do it. I mean that forty time you talking about sub four three. Come on, now, that's a and jump almost eleven feet broad jump almost eleven feet. That's ridiculous. Got some kangaroo in them or something. But yeah, he's the thing about as well as he's playing, Al Golden feels like he can still play a little bit better. But Al Golden has said that he agrees in space, he's the best tackler they have in the secondary. I mean, he comes downhill and fills it, he sees it quickly and and makes an immediate move to neutralize it and stop it. I think I think he's going to be around a long time.
Speaker 2: The other outside corner last week was Josh Newton. Cam Taylor Britt has lost his spot in the starting lineup and he wasn't even active. He was a game day inactive for the game against the Pittsburgh Steelers. Clearly they're looking to light a fire under Cam Taylor Brett. I think he's probably going to be active on Sunday based on how he's practiced this week. But we'll find out, Yeah, ninety minutes before kickoff.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Nel Golden is the master motivator, you know, I mean Cam Taylor Britt. He feels like Cam Taylor Britt is not doing everything he's capable of doing. He doesn't like the fact that he gambles as much as he does. Cam Taylor Britt will take some chances self, admittedly, he'll take chances based on his film study and feels like if it's better than fifty to fifty, I'm gonna I'm gonna try to get it done. He is still in the mix. I mean, if there's an injury, he's the guy. He's the third corner. Like you said, he'll be the one out in the football field, but in nickel packages he'll be lined up out there as well. So he's gonna have to do a good job and make sure that he takes care of his area of responsibility and doesn't try to get nosy and go elsewhere and dip into other people's areas of responsibility. Do your job. That's what it's all about. Playing defense against this football team, the New York Jets, is going to be all about. Do your job, don't let the football team down. Do your job to the best of your ability, and everything will be okay.
Speaker 2: The Bengals and Jets Sunday at one o'clock Ring of Honor Induction Sunday at pay Course Stadium. Dave Lapham and Leaping Lamar Parrish are going in and we'll talk about that a little bit more when we come back. This is the Bengals pep Rally Show live from the om the Ryan Eatery in downtown Cincinnati on Fox Sports thirteen sixty. We are back at the on the Rhine Eatery here in downtown Cincinnati. It's the food hall on the second floor above the downtown Kroger at Corton Walnut. This is the Bengals pep Rallley Show, getting you set for Ring of Honor Induction Sunday coming up. This week the Bengals taking on the New York Jets. We got some interesting intel from Nicky Graul from the Bengals, who is here today. They actually practiced earlier taking down the curtain, essentially to reveal Lapham sixty two and Parish twenty up on the wall. We are excited about that. Here's where I get choked up, Buddy. Let me just say, the broadcasting games with you for the last fifteen years, all right, I'm going to get it together here has been one of the great joys of my life, professional and otherwise. We've had so much fun together, No question, we developed a great friendship. I tell the story all the time. The first game we did together was a preseason game in two thousand and eleven. Bengals traveled to Detroit. Yes, final score was Lions thirty four, Bengals three. I got on the bus after the game, and you've never seen so many long faces. Everybody was convinced this was going to be a terrible year. And I was giddy because the chemistry was immediate. It was we had so much fun, and so I'm like beaming from ear to ear because it was awesome and I knew we were going to have a great partnership on the air, and it has been and I could not be more thrilled that you are getting this honor. It is so well deserved, not only for your ten great years as a player, and you were a great player. I hope people realize that, but also for the last forty years, there's not a better analyst on the radio in the NFL, and furthermore, a better ambassador for this franchise. You've been just incredible at representing the city and the franchise and your family with class and treat people wonderfully. And I'm just throwed for you, Dan. I can't thank you enough. Really, I mean, I'm glad they're applauding because what you say is so meaningful and it means a lot to me. I can tell you that doing games with you, like you mentioned, use the word joy, it's a joy. I mean, I can't believe get paid for it. You know, it's like it's like you do. Yeah, it's like your hobby. It's like a hobby.
Speaker 3: You know, it's man and honestly, you know, working with your best friend, that's you know, that is cherry on top of the icing, on top of the cake. You know, it's like, how lucky, how fortunate can a guy be? And to do it for ten years as a player of forty years in the broadcast booth for the organization is great, but fifteen years with you has taken it to another level. In the broadcast booth, there's nothing. Nothing comes close to doing games with Dan Horde, be it at pay Court Stadium or anywhere on the road. Travels that uh, that broadcast booth and up to the elevator we go, and to whatever floor it may be, and it's gonna be another just fun day, man packed with uh stories to be told.
Speaker 2: No doubt about it. We've had some great adventures. We've got an opportunity to call a Super Bowl together. Hopefully we'll do that again and this time the Bengals will come out on top. Yep, you've played in one. You broadcast too. They're getting closer every time, from five points to four points to three points. I hope we don't have to have two point and one point losses. First, I know, let's let's move right to the Bengals victory and ce Lombardi Trophy in this town.
Speaker 3: That would be nice. I mean, you know, Cincinnati deserves it. You deserve it. I feel like I, uh, you deserve fate. I've paid the two my dudes as well. It's gonna happen. I really have a few this group of people, this group of guys, players, coaches, everybody's on the same page in that regard. I know Zach Taylor really wants it desperately to happen. I think it will. I think it's gonna happen.
Speaker 2: I do too. I've always felt from the day they drafted Joe Burrow that the Bengals would win a Super Bowl in the Borough era. They came close. They got there in his second season, and he's going to be healthy again fairly soon. We see him at the lock in the locker room every day. He's recuperating. That boot's gonna be off. He'll be working on that tow and hopefully we'll be playing in the final few weeks of the regular season this year, and if the Bengals are able to make it to the playoffs, nobody in the NFL wants to face Joe Burrow in January February.
Speaker 3: Nobody agreed, nobody, And he's capable of coming back. He's doing everything he possibly can physically and mentally, and Joe Slaco has talked about what an impact Joe Burrow has had on him in terms of helping him master the offenses quickly as he has and you know the tooth. That one trait that both these guys have in common, in my mind is patience. I don't think anybody is more patient than Joe Burrow on the field in the pocket, and the same with Joe Flacco. So the Bengals I think have got I mean, what a one two punch at the quarterback position when Joe Burrow does come back healthy. Are you kidding me? Joe Burrow starting games for you for whatever reason, Joe Flacco has to come in and finish games. There's not a better one two punch, a one two combination in the National Football League than those two gentlemen right.
Speaker 2: There, all right, two hours in the books, one hour to go. Chase Brown will be joining us shortly. You are listening to the Bengals Pep Browley Show, presented by Jess baar Chick and live from the on the Ryan Eatery in downtown Cincinnati on Fox Sports thirteen.
Speaker 1: Sixty Bengals Pep Rally presented by Just Beared Chicken on the Bengals Radio Network.
Speaker 3: Paycorp.
Speaker 1: Paycorp is proud to be the official HR software provider of the Cincinnati Bengals. Kettering Health Best Care for the Best Fans. Kettering Health, Official healthcare provider of the Cincinnati Bengals. This is ESPN fifteen to thirty, the official home of the Cincinnati Bengals.
Speaker 2: Yes, our number three of the Bengals pep Rally Show presented by just Paar Chicken. I'm Dan Hord, live from the On the Ride eatery here in downtown Cincinnati. It's a Friday afternoon. We've got a home game coming up on Sunday as the Bengals host the winless New York Jets. Cincinnati favored by six and a half, the Bengals trying to even the record at four and four. They've got another home game coming up next week against the good but not great team, the Chicago Bears. So maybe, just maybe, the Bengals can put together a three game winning streak, a three straight home games against the Steelers, Jets, and Bears, get to a game over five hundred and five and four and take that into their bye week the following week. Normally, on this show, Dave Lapham and I are together for three hours. We have let Lap go a little bit early today because he's got a lot going on this weekend, including a family celebration tonight. Friends and family coming in from all over the country to celebrate Lap as he goes into the Bengals Ring of Honor this weekend. So he's got the family celebration tonight. The Bengals have the team celebration for Lap and Lamar Paris coming up tomorrow night, that is from five to seven point thirty at pay Corps Stadium, and then of course on Sunday, it is the big day, the Ring of Honor induction, as Lap and Lamar will officially be inducted at halftime of that game as promised. Chase Brown is our special guest today here at the on the Rhine Eatery, and the Bengals run back is arriving as we speak with his infant son in hand. How cute is that we appreciate Chase coming out and spending some time with us on this Friday afternoon as the Bengals get set to take on the New York Jets this Sunday at one o'clock. Chase coming off a tremendous game last Thursday against the Pittsburgh Steelers. Eleven carries one hundred and eight yards. Carries in that game of thirty seven and twenty seven yards. The blocking was great. Everything went great, and it was fun to see you go off like that. Congratulations on a great game.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 13: Yeah, it's always nice when you have space to go out there and make some plays. O line stuffed up big, But what was even more impressive was Flocco's.
Speaker 5: Ability to get the ball out quickly.
Speaker 13: The way that we were able to pick up protections and then spit the ball out on the perimeter kind of keeps the defense on their heels. And when you're able to do that, you control what's going on.
Speaker 2: I've been broadcasting Bengals game for fifteen years. I have called a lot of Joe Flacco games. I know what Joe Flacco is capable of doing, but I've got to be honest. To come in under these circumstances and play at this level is astounding to me. NFL offenses are so complicated. For the dude to show up on a Tuesday practice for the first time on a Wednesday, go out and have a tremendous second half against Green Bay on the road, and then play in a short week and ball out against the Steelers. No doubt, I've never seen anything like it.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I haven't either, but I will give him. I'll say this, he's played football in the NFL for eighteen years.
Speaker 2: Correct.
Speaker 13: I think I've been playing football for less time than that. So he's been in the NFL longer than I've been playing football. So that's one thing to keep in mind. So he with that, he brings a ton of experience, He knows what he's looking for. He probably, you know, when we get set, he probably looks out and you know exactly what the defense is doing. So so much wisdom, so much skill, and so much experience. And I think that's what you're seeing right now is just a confident player that's playing in this league for a really long time and has really stepped up in a big way and helped.
Speaker 5: Us get rolling.
Speaker 2: So on the Wednesday after his first practice, I was among several reporters that gathered in front of your locker to ask you about him, and you sounded so impressed by his ability to spit out the plays after arriving the night before yeah.
Speaker 5: I don't know if people know this.
Speaker 13: I mean you've probably seen quarterback and you have an idea of what the play calls are like, or you've you know, followed some sort of thing where you've heard quarterbacks call the play. It's not easy, let alone listen for your job within all the words that he's saying. So, you know, first walk through, he comes in and he is just reciting the plays like he's been here all year long.
Speaker 5: I'm like, how's he doing this? Like he just got here this morning.
Speaker 13: I think like, yeah, so kudo's him for that, because that's that's not easy.
Speaker 2: He is Joe Calm, Joe calm, Joe Burrow's Joe cool, Joe Flaco's Joe Calm.
Speaker 13: Yeah, and then when Joe Burrow plays in the NFL for whatever eighteen years, he'll.
Speaker 5: Become Joe Calm.
Speaker 2: He can eventually become Joe Calm as well. All right, I want to turn the clock back a little bit. This is your third year with the Cincinnati Bengals. There have been some tremendous moments and tremendous games. I think the first moment that many people will remember that kind of caught the nation's attention. Happened in December of your rookie year against the Indianapolis Colts. Let's listen. Back rookie Chase Brown checks in for the first time at running back after nine carries for sixty one yards last week, they fake it to him. Now they screen it to him, all sorts of running room and blockers in front. He's fine to the thirty, the twenty, the ten cuts back, a man.
Speaker 7: Miss half, the five touchdown Bengals Chase Brown showing his speed as he flies down the field for.
Speaker 2: The Bengals touchdown. You hit twenty two point zero five miles an hour on that screen against the Colts. Was that, in any way a play that that kind of put you on the map in your own mind?
Speaker 5: I think so. I think you know.
Speaker 13: I was able to do a little bit during camp, but as a rookie year, you're kind of scratching and clawing for opportunities, so.
Speaker 5: Every rep you get is huge.
Speaker 13: But I can remember the week before, a couple of weeks before we were we were playing Thursday night or Monday night in Jacksonville, and I was able to pop off a couple of runs. So and something I took away from that was there's this one run I broke away.
Speaker 5: I'm like, I was kind of indecisive.
Speaker 13: I'm like, oh, I didn't know if I should cut back in or if I should just try and run up the sideline. So I told my the next time I get the opportunity to just run as fast as I can, That's what I'm going to do. And then when that screen came around, I turned around like, there's so much space, like, just go and twenty two point twenty two point zero five was the result of odd in a touchdown.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I think you would have been guilty of speeding in a school zone in the state of Ohio. I think the speed limit is twenty so you exceeded the speed limit.
Speaker 5: Hopefully they give me some grace two miles.
Speaker 3: Per hour over.
Speaker 2: Well, there are a lot of Bengals fans in the police department, sheriff's department, so we'll definitely cut you some slack. That carried over to last season, particularly the second half of the year after Zach Boss suffered a neck injury. You became the quote unquote bell cow in the running game, and over the last eight games of the season, or your last eight games of the season, you missed the finale, but you averaged one hundred and twenty combined rushing and receiving yards. You were as productive as basically anybody in the league for that eight game straight.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 13: No, we were playing really good football with then the year and uh, you know with the way that Jamar and t and Dray and Joe especially, I mean it it's like a it's a it's a beautiful thing. When everything's operating at a high level, it's like a it's like a well oiled machine, like a like a car, you know what I mean. So when everything's when everything's operating at a high level, I mean, everybody's doing well.
Speaker 5: And I think that's what you saw last weeks.
Speaker 13: The Steelers is like I said earlier, we were able to get the ball on the perimeter. It's like you have a running back that plays receiver and if you're just throwing the ball on a quick now.
Speaker 5: Route, he's gonna do something with it.
Speaker 13: And then you have T Higgins, you have Dre, Noah Fan, you have all these guys that.
Speaker 5: You know we're getting the ball to.
Speaker 13: And when you're unpredictable like that, it just opens up everything else. So you saw that a lot at the end of last year, and you saw that on Thursday night. So that's what we're trying to go into this week with. Just carry that momentum and do everything we can to bring that into all these games coming.
Speaker 2: On twenty three. Targets for Jamar last week sixteen catches a franchise history. The guy cannot be tired out seemingly I don't know every play and just keep feeding him the ball.
Speaker 13: Yeah, no, when he's been doing a really good job, like we we talk all the time. But yeah, I mean he's just he's Jamar Chase, like best, best in the league, best in the world.
Speaker 2: Tell us about the little cutie that you walked in carrying in your arms.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's my son.
Speaker 13: He was born in January. It's my girlfriend, Jasmine, and that's Oceans. So he has.
Speaker 5: No idea what's going on that he was born in January.
Speaker 2: Well behaved, Yeah, no, he is.
Speaker 5: He is as long as he's fed and.
Speaker 2: Sounds like me.
Speaker 5: He's happy.
Speaker 2: So long as I'm fed, I'm happy.
Speaker 5: Right likewise, No, but truly one of the biggest blessings.
Speaker 13: Fatherhood has been, you know, a journey so far, but in all the good ways possible.
Speaker 2: It's the best. If your experience is anything like mine, For the next twelve years, it's going to be awesome. Then when he's thirteen, there'll be a little spell where you're no longer his hero, and then after a few years it comes around again and you are the apple of his eye. Okay, well that's how it kind of works for many.
Speaker 5: I'll let you know when he turns thirteen.
Speaker 2: All right, sounds good. We're gonna take a time out. Our special guest, Bengals running back Chase Brown. We are live at the on the Rhine Eatery here in downtown Cincinnati, the Bengals pep Rally Show on Fox Sports thirteen sixty. This is the Bengals pep Rally Show, live from the on the Rhine Eatery here in downtown Cincinnati. Our special guest in the final hour of the show today, Chase Brown graciously signing autographs during the commercial breaks, posing for pictures, et cetera. If you were in the area, come out and join us. We're here until six o'clock tonight. This is the first time I have seen the Chase Brown bobblehead giving out at Skyline. What do you think of your bobblehead image.
Speaker 5: It's funny it Uh, it looks good.
Speaker 3: It looks good.
Speaker 5: I think they did a good job.
Speaker 2: So he had some bobblehead Yes, yeah, does your brother have one?
Speaker 5: And Philly? I don't know. I don't know. I'll have to ask him.
Speaker 2: You got the one up on them?
Speaker 5: Is there skyline in Philly?
Speaker 2: I don't think so well, but they heads.
Speaker 5: There's probably one on like NFL dot com or something like that.
Speaker 2: Guy might be he's got the super Bowl ring, You've got the bobbleheads. Hopefully you'll both have.
Speaker 5: Both, yes, sometimes eventually.
Speaker 2: Chase Brown is our guest in his third year with the Cincinnati Bengals. His offensive coordinator is Dan Pitcher. Let's hear from Pitch on Chase Brown.
Speaker 19: There are guys that that it just becomes just how they carry themselves, how how the look in their eye when you talk to him, how you see him go about their day in the building. Uh, it just becomes apparent very very early that like this guy's obsessive about his preparation, there's a whatever, there's something motivating him that's unusual even at this level of highly.
Speaker 2: Highly motivated people. And I would put him in that bucket. Preparation that accurate.
Speaker 13: Yeah, that's that's that's what I am. I want to be great at what I do and uh, you know, I don't take this opportunity in the NFL lightly like I want to.
Speaker 5: I want to do big things. So there's a lot that comes with that.
Speaker 13: And yeah, my my daily routine, my preparation, my film preparation, like everything that goes into a game week is you know, has been planned and thought about well before this season even started. So you know, I'm doing everything I can to be the best version of myself on Sundays. And you know, that's really nice a pitch to UH to recognize that and say those words.
Speaker 2: Yeah, as he said, there's something beyond the norm that motivates you. What is that?
Speaker 13: Yeah, that's a great question. I just want to prove it to myself that you know, I.
Speaker 2: Can be.
Speaker 13: I can be a dominant player in this league. And you know that's why I'm still chasing. And that's that's what motivates me, is the best version of myself. And you know, the little the little checklist that I go through every single day, it feels like I'm I'm taking a step forward every single time. I I do everything, whether it's you know, getting in the tubs, you know.
Speaker 5: Watching the blitz tape, watching.
Speaker 13: The run tape, and just mentally going into every single day with the mindset that I'm going to try and help this team win and they're gonna get the best ursion of me on a daily basis.
Speaker 2: Is it a literal checklist? Do you actually have a list of things that you make sure that you do?
Speaker 13: Yeah, so I made this list. I made this list well before the season. I sat down with my trainer, slash like mental coach, like he's kind of all in one, but you know, we we went through things that you know you can kind of go over and you can do on a daily basis to to I guess not like settle your mind, but it's it's just things that you do too.
Speaker 5: To be successful.
Speaker 13: Because there's so many things that you know, you could I could have gone into this season saying yeah, I want to I want to have a Pro Bowl. I want to you know, I want to go for fifteen hundred all purpose yards. But that's so there's so much that goes into doing that, and you know that starts with Okay, how how are you gonna prepare on a daily basis. How are you taking care of your body, how are you watching film? How are you preparing yourself to go out and do those things. So that's what we talked about, and that's kind of how we broke it down. And yeah, there there's a list, but I kind of have it memorized now, and uh, you know, every day I just go through it.
Speaker 2: Is that trainer, mental coach, the wide receiver guru that you visited with, and yeah, Lieberman.
Speaker 5: Is yeah, Drew, Drew, Yeah, you know Drew.
Speaker 13: So, yeah, Drew and I have been working for two years now and he's doing a lot.
Speaker 5: He's done a lot.
Speaker 13: He's helped me, you know, become a much better player than I was when I first got into league. So I have so much respect for the guy too, just the way that he handles himself and he handles himself as a trainer because you work with a ton of people, and uh, you never know what to expect out of some of these trainers that you know, you work within the off season because they're not even that you know, prepared themselves. But he is one person that is legitimately, you know, one of the most prepared people I've ever been around, so learned a lot from him, going to continue to work with him, but yeah, it's been it's been a blessing.
Speaker 2: Describe your friendship with Andre and how the two of you have pushed each other.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Dre and I are are.
Speaker 13: So we came into the league later draft picks, the fifth I think he was a sixth on pick, and we kind of connected on that initially knowing that, you know, our opportunities weren't promised and you know, our you know, are you know, making the team wasn't promise, So everything that we did on a daily basis was important. The way that you know, we we handled ourselves when we got opportunities in practice, what are we making of those? And then what are you gonna do with that first off season? Because I think there's like I think that second season, that second training camp will tell you a lot about a player, like are they going to continue to take steps forward or are they going to regress?
Speaker 5: And I think I think that there's a lot to take away from that.
Speaker 13: And we were two guys that made the most of that offseason, came into camp ready and then when we both got our opportunities, you know, we've been able to do.
Speaker 11: A lot with them.
Speaker 2: I still can't figure out why you lasted until the fifth round. You probably can't either, but you put up monster numbers at Illinois. You crushed it the scouting combine decent size, two hundred and ten pounds. Did you ever get any intel for why you were not taken earlier?
Speaker 13: Honestly, I haven't put much thought on into that. I don't really care to be honest, Like where I went, I'm a true believer that you know, God works behind the scenes all the time. So I think you know me going the fifth round was you know the reason why I'm here. It's the reason why I'm here, right, And there's an opportunity to be made of And you know I've been putting the position to make plays and I couldn't be more grateful for that.
Speaker 5: So I think I'm in the perfect spot.
Speaker 2: The Running Game obviously got off to a slow start this season. Last week it was tremendous, But I really thought a couple of weeks before that we saw progress. No, the Denver Game team had eighty five yards, but the efficiency was better Green Game, Green, Gray Game that the efficiency was even better than that, And then we saw it kind of culminate with this huge game against the Steelers on Thursday night. Could you feel could you see it that it was moving.
Speaker 13: In the right direction and kind of tell every single week that we're taking steps forward. Early against Cleveland, like you know, we struggled in some areas, but I think that the main thing and the biggest takeaway from all of that was just not to panic. I don't I think, and this isn't a shot against like the general public. I mean, you've been around football for a long time and you understand that you just don't panic in situations like that.
Speaker 5: You're you don't.
Speaker 13: You don't start pointing fingers, you you don't start blaming the coordinator. You don't blame the old line, you don't blame the running backs. Like you know, everybody in that locker room is there for a reason. And that team, the team that we put together this year, I mean we were we we've been successful, we've all been together. This is like it feels like there's not a single face on that old line or in that locker room that I haven't seen for at least two years now.
Speaker 5: So we have all the right pieces. It's really about execution.
Speaker 13: Acution is a big part of it, and kind of got off to a rocky start against Cleveland, like we we started off that first drive unbelievable, but took a step back and then you know, Joe gets hurt. There was a lot going on. So the one thing I respect the most is we weren't pointing fingers. We were all looking for ways to make this run game better, to to get better as an offense, because I think overall efficiency wasn't that good. But you know when I think, I think when you when you look at those first six games and then you take away a couple of them. So the first four games, four to five games, we weren't able to really stress the perimeter, and then you know, you go look at Green Bay where we get into a little bit of a mo drome. We're getting the ball out quick and Jamar is getting yeap yards after catch, and we're kind of we're kind of spitting the ball out all over the place and we're putting the defense on their heels.
Speaker 5: We're picking up.
Speaker 13: These exotic blitzes, and you know, we're starting to be more efficient in the run the game because you know that the defense isn't able to predict what we're doing. Like as an offense, we were less predictable. And then you go fast forward to the Steelers game and it's like we were in.
Speaker 5: Total control the entire time.
Speaker 13: Like you obviously with that if you go back and watch a film, the execution was off the charge, like everybody did a great job. Like Dult stepped in and I mean he was he was doing Everybody was doing really well. So I think that's a big thing. It's a team sport. When the receivers are doing well, we're doing well. When we're doing well, they're doing well. So I think that's the story of the first six games is.
Speaker 5: We just gotta be better.
Speaker 13: We gotta, we gotta, we gotta, we gotta play as a unit, we gotta, we gotta be efficient on early downs. And if we're doing that, you know that's the result you're gonna get offensively, You're gonna see an efficient, fast paced, explosive offense.
Speaker 2: I think blitz pick up is the most underrated skill in football because you know, on the one hand, you picture it as all right, you're probably a smaller guy trying to block a bigger guy, which in and of itself is challenging, but I think the mental aspect of knowing where it is coming from takes so much prep and practice and ability, and to do it as well as you're doing it, I think is pretty incredible.
Speaker 13: Yeah, Coach Coach Hill, my running backs coach. He does the protection plan every single week. So as a running back unit, we take a lot of pride in protection. Like, I think one thing that stands out the most with him especially is and he says all the time, it's like last year it was like, you know, keep number nine safe, Everything's gonna be good, and that's kind of been the story. But he takes a ton of pride in you know, how we protect, how physical we are stepping up on these blocks, and yeah, he's not settling for you know, soft blocking. So I I figured that out early on, and you know, last year I was able to kind of step into that third down role and there's a lot of opportunity that came out of that. And this year I've been able to you know, step up and continue to take steps forward in that area of my game. So but a huge, a huge tribute to him for that because it's not easy, like, especially as a rookie coming in. I think that's probably the hardest thing. That was the hardest thing for me at least, was you know, learning the.
Speaker 5: The call, the protection calls.
Speaker 13: You know, whether it was a four man sword or a three man sword, which side was the sword side, which on the man's side. You know, all these different protections that we have in and you know, once I was able to learn that, could play a lot faster and could step on those books a lot better.
Speaker 2: Chase Brown is our guest. We are live at the on the Ryan Eatery here in downtown Cincinnati. It's the Bengals pep Rowley Show presented by Just Pared Chicken. We'll take the time out and come back with more with number thirty and just the mom but here on five Sports thirteen sixty, the Bengals line up in a pistol formation with Chase Brown behind Joe Burrow. All goes in motion. They give it to Chase Brown. He's got the first two or to them into the field.
Speaker 7: Ten five rolls into the end zone, touchdown Bengals with one fifty two to go, and that is coffin nails.
Speaker 11: Bam bam bam Chase Brown.
Speaker 3: Once he crossed the line of scrimmage. It's almost like he stuck his hand up to say goodbye.
Speaker 2: Chase Brown, our special guest today last year and a win over the New York Giants at thirty yard touchdown run essentially put the game away. As you probably know, Chase was born in Canada. Grew up not far from Toronto, right London, Ontario.
Speaker 5: Yup, it's right there. You know the area.
Speaker 2: So how excited are you about the World Series? Are you?
Speaker 13: It's great, no Toronto going. I didn't watch it, like, we didn't sit there and watch it. But all my buddies back home we're paying tension and they followed the whole series and uh, I really didn't know what to expect, like uh and uh when I saw them one, it was a big time. But I was Actually my brother and I were able to go visit the clubhouse in the summer, great time.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 13: Tem of good guys in that locker room and they were giving us gear and so much round. It's it's so crazy what the clubhouse is like. It's like a different Their work day seems so much different than ours and the way that they like travel like it's just they're telling me stories and I'm like yeah.
Speaker 2: We we have a curt we have a curfew, and obviously we don't travel with their families, but their families travel.
Speaker 13: With them and they you know, stay in in the same hotel and it's.
Speaker 5: Just so much different like between all like with an all sports, it's different.
Speaker 13: So uh, yeah, it was cool get to meet them and see the whole clubhouse, and you know, fast forward to now them being the World Series.
Speaker 5: It kind of it's big time. I mean, anytime a.
Speaker 13: To a Canadian team makes it to that big championship game, it's huge.
Speaker 5: Like when the Raptors won the.
Speaker 13: NBA Finals, I mean they about destroyed Toronto, down street lights and flipping garbage cans and just doing the most so tons of energy up there. I know the city is really proud. Every Canadian is probably following.
Speaker 5: So no, it's awesome.
Speaker 2: And since the Montreal Expos are no longer in Montreal, it is truly Canada's team. There used to be you know, two splitting up the attention, but now the entire country will be rooting for the Blue Jays.
Speaker 13: Yes, yes, and then you have all the hockey teams up there too, so hopefully hopefully going to see all three of those Toronto teams to make it, so you know, Toronto Raptors, Blue Jays win it, then the Leafs.
Speaker 5: That's the last one.
Speaker 2: So it's been a while.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So when I was just graduating from college, one of my first jobs was a minor league baseball broadcaster and the team that I worked for was the top affiliate for the Toronto Blue Jays. So when they won their back to back World Series in the early nineties, those were guys that I had gotten to know in my early fledgling broadcasting career, so I was a huge Blue Jays fan back then. I actually got to do a few Blue Jays games very early in my career. So because I was doing the minor league team, I would go up to Toronto every September after our season was finished nice and the Blue Jays announcers would put me on, which was a huge thrill. You know, I was in my early twenties. It was my dreams. So I have this affinity for the Blue Jays.
Speaker 5: What do you think about Toronto?
Speaker 2: Were you able to love Toronto? So I grew up a little bit south of Buffalo and my family, I'm one of five kids. We would go to Toronto on vacation pretty much every Easter.
Speaker 5: Nice.
Speaker 2: The Harlem Globe Trotters always played Easter. We would go see the Globe Trotters. We would go, you know, see sporting events and stuff. So I am a big Toronto fan.
Speaker 5: That's great. That's great. Well I'm a big Toronto fan as well, so we have something in common.
Speaker 2: This conversation is becoming about me, which is not the intent. I will say one more thing though. The first professional football game I ever saw was not NFL. It was CFL. Who was playing Hamilton Tiger Cats.
Speaker 5: Oh that's like an hour from my health Go. Yeah, nice.
Speaker 2: Did you play Canadian rules football as a kid or did you always play America rules?
Speaker 5: That's a great. Yeah.
Speaker 13: So it's interesting and I hope they make the change because I think football, just like all other sports worldwide, should have the same rules.
Speaker 5: But obviously, if people don't know.
Speaker 13: They're the the CFL, there's a Canadian version of football, which is it's still football, but the rules are different. Like you have three downs instead of four, The field is wider and longer. The end zones are huge, like I mean like when you're when you're in the red zone. It's really like you're.
Speaker 5: At midfield, like you could you could call like those.
Speaker 2: They're twenty yards right, drive to start twenty yards.
Speaker 13: They're huge, like you could at twenty yards like, yeah, you don't need much finesse to to win.
Speaker 5: And it ends on that big. So eventually, I really hope they do, uh change the.
Speaker 13: Rules to just like the Americans like, and I think that'd be so much better because then when you know, kids are being scouted up there and evaluated to you know, maybe playing a college in the US, they're not like, oh, like, you know, this kid isn't that good, and like he's he's playing on this huge field and he has all this space to do everything, and yeah, that's just that's just something I hope they change.
Speaker 2: Did you follow the CFL or did you follow the NFL?
Speaker 13: Growing up, always NFL CFO was the goal at one point, and then the NFL. You know, the NFL was always a goal. I think for every young kid, the NFL is always a goal. But when you're growing up in Canada, it's hard to see like you're not you know, it's not like I'm trying to find a good example. But when my brother and I moved down to Florida, You're just you're You're around all these different high schools, and every single one of those high schools have somebody that has some sort of relationship to the NFL, whether it's a player or a cousin or grandpa and uncle. Like, you know, the NFL is just such a big thing down here, and as it should be, like it's it's America's game. So when we were at when when we had the opportunity to to get around that and indulge in that American football culture.
Speaker 5: Changes a lot. It just felt like it felt like the NFL was like a real thing.
Speaker 13: And then you go to college and you know, you're you're you're building your confidence up, you're trying to find ways to make plays in college, and then you start making those plays and then the NFL is like right there.
Speaker 5: So I think when I started making plays in college.
Speaker 17: I would sit there and think to myself that, you know, I could really make this football didn't work, And you know I was able to do that and still have a ton of football ahead and so many more things I want to achieve in this league and do.
Speaker 5: But it's really just getting that.
Speaker 13: First opportunity in your foot in the door and once you have that, I mean, I mean, make the.
Speaker 5: Most of it.
Speaker 2: Chase Brown is our guest. We're going to take a time out. When we come back, we'll hear from his head coach, Zach Taylor talking about our special guest this afternoon, Bengals running back Chase Brown. This is the Bengals pep Rowley Show. We're live at the on the Rye Eatery, the food Haul above the downtown Kroger at Court and Walnut. We're here until six o'clock tonight on Fox Sports thirteen sixty.
Speaker 5: Black Up.
Speaker 2: Extend the ball. Brown up the middle of the field of the thirty racing of the thirty five, tends to the forty far side line, forty five fifty forty five and finally tackled at the Pittsburgh thirty nine yard line. Cameron Hayward running down the field along with Patrick Queen. That's a thirty seven yard run on the first play of the drive for Chase Brown. One of two long runs for Chase Brown last week, a thirty seven and a twenty seven and a one hundred and eight yard rushing performance in the win of the Pittsburgh Steelers. You've got the Jets coming to town on Sunday. Let's talk a little bit about this challenge. The Jets are zero and seven. That speaks for itself. But they've got a lot of good players on defense, particularly upfront. Do you view that as the strength of the defense you're facing this week?
Speaker 13: Yeah, they have a lot of good players, and I think their team that are judged way too much by their record. If you look at this series of game that they played a lot more close and they lose, they lose those games on the very last drive and we're talking like, you know, less than seven points games that they could have been.
Speaker 5: So yeah, so it's like you know.
Speaker 13: You you you look at that and you think of us last season. We we I mean, unfortunately we lost games like that a lot last year too. So I just see them as a team that, you know, I have a lot of good players, have a ton of talent. They're gonna play hard every single week is the NFL, Like it's your job to go out.
Speaker 5: There and perform. But you know, we're not.
Speaker 3: We're not.
Speaker 13: We're not gonna take them lately like we we know that, you know we're gonna we gotta start fast. Number One obviously, but you can't take them lately like you. You can't look at their record and be like, this is gonna be an easy week, because the next thing you know, you get punched in the face.
Speaker 2: Right, you have a loss.
Speaker 13: Right, So everybody's working really hard in the building, and I'm excited to get out there finally play. I feel there's so much build up every single week to the Sunday games when you have a full week to prepare.
Speaker 5: And around this time you try to go out there and play.
Speaker 2: Did you do anything fun during your mini bie after a Thursday night game.
Speaker 5: I'm just like everybody else, man, Like I go home, I watched Netflix.
Speaker 13: I changed diapers, So you know, I'm not that much different than you know anybody in here.
Speaker 5: I just played football. That's the only difference.
Speaker 20: Well, I didn't change any diapers, so you didn't change diapers. My son is nineteen, so thankfully I'm not changing any diapers. That's good and he's a college student who's out of town. But good that you guys could relax after a win. Had that game wound up a Pittsburgh win, you still would have kicked back a little bit. But it's tough to really enjoy it unless you have that Thursday night victory.
Speaker 13: Right, No doubt exactly, because you're just moving on to the next game. But yeah, it was nice to relax a little bit. I don't think people realize how much work goes into a Thursday night game though, Like you, you think about a full week of preparation that is condensed into basically three days. So yeah, there's there's a lot of work. And I know the coaches have it worse than us because we we we get we get out around you know, the one that we got out at like eight pm, that's pretty good.
Speaker 5: And uh, but the coaches, I know they're in there.
Speaker 13: They're they're working in the game plan, they're they're working on all these installs of protection plan and X, Y and Z.
Speaker 5: All the things that they have to do. So it's not like the preparation.
Speaker 13: Changes, but it's just a short period of time. So yeah, there's a lot that goes into those Thursday night games. But on the back end of it, you know, you get to enjoy the long weekend.
Speaker 2: So so this is Ring of Honor Induction weekend. Two guys that played long before you were born are going into the Bengals Ring of Honor this week former cornerback Lamar Parrish and my broadcast partner Dave Lapham. Obviously, you've gotten to know Lap during your three years with the Bengals. I love the fact that when Laps in the locker room, there's instantaneous respect because he spent a twelve years playing pro football, ten in the NFL, and anybody that plays for that long has credibility with current players because he understands what you guys are going through, no doubt.
Speaker 5: No doubt.
Speaker 13: I mean he can he can relate to us, relate to us differently than than anybody else because he's been in.
Speaker 5: Our shot before. Yeah, Lap, Lap's awesome.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 13: I remember, I don't know if he spoke or I don't I don't remember where I heard him talk. Maybe it was in a team meeting. It's in a team meeting. I think he spoke to us or something like that. He's talking about like he was talking about how he would like park his car. He tried to park his car more perfectly every single day, and eventually, you know, you know what I mean. It just started with that and the little details. He always talked with the little details and anyways that story resonated with me, and I kind of think about.
Speaker 5: It every single day when I go park my car.
Speaker 13: It's like, you know, let me park my car perfectly because you know that's the right thing to do, and you know, if you do if you if you do that, well, it's like how you do anything is how you do everything. Like if you're you're kind of just you know, like when you're doing the signatures, if you're doing a lazy signature, that that.
Speaker 5: Could carry on to another area of your life that you may not even realize.
Speaker 13: So I think how you do everything is important, even parking your car. So that's interesting that I still wouldn't be Yeah.
Speaker 2: I parallel parked in front of a coffee shop today. It was perfect and I didn't even realize that was inspired. I'm a broadcast partner. Dave Lappham, all right, we need to take one more time out. When we come back, we will play America's favorite game show, Know Your School. I have five questions about the University of Illinois. Chase has to get at least three rights to be declared a winner. This is the Bengals pep Rally Show presented by Just Bear Chicken on Fox Sports thirteen sixty, the final segment of the Bengals pep Rally Show from the on the Rhine Eatery. You're at downtown Cincinnati. It's the food hall on the second floor above the downtown Kroger at Court and Walnut. We'll be back next Friday. I'll be out of town with the UC Bearcats. Wayne box Miller will take my place next Friday afternoon. Our special guest on the Friday show next week will be defensive tackle Chris Jenkins. Our special guest on the Wednesday show next week will be linebacker Barrett Carter. So if you'd like to get an autograph, get a picture with Barrett or Chris Jenkins. They will be our guests on Wednesday, Barrett Carter and Friday with Chris Jenkins. Our special guest today and we really appreciate his time. It's running back Chase Brown. Time to play America's favorite game show. We call it Know Your School. I have come up with five questions about your alma mater, the University of Illinois. You must get at least three rights to be declared a winner. Are you ready, Chase Brown? Yes? Question number one. Illinois has two retired numbers fifty for a linebacker and seventy seven for a halfback and return and specialist. Name either Illinois player who had his number grange and you got him both. Boom boom, he's showing off kissing red grains. All right, you were one for one. Question number two for good luck. During exam season, many Illinois students rub the nose of what statue.
Speaker 5: As a statue.
Speaker 2: It's a statue of a famous person on campus.
Speaker 5: On campus. Well, I obviously never did this.
Speaker 13: So.
Speaker 5: You maybe I would.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna say you didn't need the luck.
Speaker 5: Where is it on campus?
Speaker 2: It's just inside the main quad according to the Illinois website.
Speaker 13: Just inside the main quad, I mean Alma Mater's right there in the corner. So when you walk in, man, I'm taking the.
Speaker 2: One is a bust of Abe Lincoln. Really yeah, apparently his nose is discolored from all of the people that rub it for good line. Right, you're one for two. This one's tough. I think this next one, but we'll see if you can get it, according to the According to Fightingelini dot com, Illinois has four fight songs. Name any of them. The Orange Hail to the Orange is correct.
Speaker 3: Boom.
Speaker 2: All right, two questions ago. You only need to get one right to be a winner. Name the Illinois graduate with the initials h h who founded one of the world's most famous magazines with a bonus hint. Visiting his mansion near Beverly Hills was the dream of many single men. Hugh Hefner is correct. All right, you're already a winner. But we'll ask the fifth and final question. See if you can go four for five. This former Illinois football player is currently in his tenth NFL season, playing for his third NFL team. He won two Super Bowl rings with his first team and is a four time captain with his current team.
Speaker 5: He's in his tenth season.
Speaker 2: He's in his tenth season.
Speaker 5: He is Okay, So we played for Casey.
Speaker 2: No, No, he has not played for k C.
Speaker 5: Well, he's still in the NFL.
Speaker 2: He's still in the league.
Speaker 5: Oh, it's probably Ted.
Speaker 2: There you go, a little bit of a question. I definitely would have passed it along to Ted if he did not get that question. But you got it. You went four for five. You know your school. Congratulations Jakes Brown.
Speaker 5: There we go. It feels good.
Speaker 2: All right, we are just about a time, just about out of time. We want to thank you for spending an hour with us this afternoon. It's been awesome to have you on this franchise. You have obviously played extremely well, but you have represented city of Cincinnati and the Cincinnati Bengals extremely well. Can thank you enough? Best of luck on Sunday, Thanks and beyond all right, let's hear it for Chase Brown and special thanks to our crew. Thanks to our engineer Mike Mills. Thanks to laugh before he had to leave. Thanks to Nicky Graul from the Bengals for coming out and helping us with the autographs. Thanks to a Nick and the gang here at the on the Rhine Eatery. Again. On Wednesday night, our special guest is going to be Barrett Carter, and next Friday afternoon, our special guest in the final hour of that show will be Chris Jenkins. For Dave Lapham, I'm Dan Hord. Thanks so much for listening. You've been listening to the Bengals pep Rally show on Fox Sports thirteen sixty.
Speaker 1: This was Bengals pep Rally presented by Just Bairn Chicken on the Bengals Radio Network.
Speaker 3: Pay Corps.
Speaker 1: Pay Corp is proud to be the official HR software provider of the Cincinnati Bengals. Ulti Viper, Ulta Viper the official WiFi and Net provider of the Cincinnati Bengals. This is ESPN fifteen thirty, the official home of the Cincinnati Bengals,