Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talker.
Speaker 2: Well, we're joined right now by a guy that was a very special part of last year's World Series team, a teammate that was beloved by everybody in that clubhouse. And when the Dodgers were in Anaheim, they presented Kirby Yates with this twenty twenty five World Series ring with his walkout music the boombox. The entire team came to celebrate a guy that wasn't on the postseason roster, and Kirby h joins us right now. He is part of the Halo's bullpen. Great to see you and same style glasses, but different color, different.
Speaker 1: Color, different color. Yeah, thanks for having me. You know, a special special moment for me. Is very neat to say, all those guys come and do that for me. Yeah, I'm meant a lot, and you know something I won't forget and just you know, unbelievable memories that I generated here in one year. That's awesome.
Speaker 2: How unexpected was to have that type of celebration of you in Anaheim when the team gave you the ring?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I you know, I didn't know who would show up or who was good do it. You know, I figured it'd be a couple of bullpen guys just because you know, our homies. But you know, I got along with a lot of guys in that clubhouse. I made a tremendous amount of friendships and relationships that I feel are gonna last for a while. And you know, it was I it was such a fun year. You know, I hadn't pitch grade at all for you know, second half of the year or whatever you want to call it, after.
Speaker 2: I got hurt.
Speaker 1: But and that was really tough for me. But you know, I'm thankful for those guys because you know, they made it fun every day coming in the field anyway, and you know, we wanted to want a ring and that was you know, it's it's why I went came to La is why I came to the Dodgers to win a ring. And we did that and just you know, super proud of those guys. And something I'll never forget.
Speaker 2: Kirby, what can you tell us about the postseason the workout days, because my understanding is that's where the greatest appreciate of you throwing on those workout days to hitters to keep them sharp. Really came from. Can you explain to us what was taking place and why you decided to be that guy for the team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it was part of me too, right. I was trying to get healthier and see where I was at, see if I could contribute in any way, and so I was trying to throw and do it for me too, to see what I was capable of. And you know, if I'm getting healthier, if I'm feeling better, just all of that. But you know, I wanted to help them as much as I can. I didn't want to be a distraction. I didn't want to be, you know, a guy that people were talking about in a bad way or a negative light or anything like that. You know, I didn't want to do anything to get them out of their routine. I tried to help them as much as I could, just to if it took pressure off them in any way, something I could do, something I could say. Just tried to do anything I could to help us in any shape or form. And that's kind of just what it boiled down to.
Speaker 2: What do you remember the most about Game seven, other than the benches clearing a little brew haha that you were involved in.
Speaker 1: I just remember It was the absolute best roller coaster ride I've ever been on, ups and downs. You know, it was just I never had nerves. I wasn't. It might have been worse that you're not playing, I don't know, but because I had, I was so nervous the entire time. And I mean it was surreal. Once the double player was hit at the end and Freddie caught the ball, I mean it was, you know, just joy. I couldn't stop crying for a while, a lot. I shed a lot of tears and just you know, just a surreal moment and just like a proud moment for everybody. And you know, I couldn't believe that, you know, I could call yourself a World Series champ.
Speaker 2: That's what Kirby Yates is. And he was a big part of it as far as being a great teammate and obviously contributing in his way now Game seven, obviously the Rojas home run, I was trying to spot you where you were? Where were you when Ohas hit the home run.
Speaker 1: I was probably right next Toican Pordo. I think we jumped the rail, you know, unbelievable moment and you know, waiting for him the top step of the dugout and just you know, pumped for me that essentially, you know, just to Meggie did it just like it was so fitting and so good for us. Just such a crazy, crazy moment too, just like one of that's the roller coaster I'm talking about, just the roller coaster emotions. But yeah, top step hopped over the rail, went over, you know, probably hit him in the head a couple of times. Excitement, but you know, so cool.
Speaker 2: All right, Kirby eats before I let you go. Now that you've got the ring, how many times have you tried it on? How many times did you look at it? The day you got it? In Anaheim, I was so nervous.
Speaker 1: When I got it that I put it right into a safe And then finally my family came over the last couple of days, so you know, I showed them and uh, you know, it was cool to share that with them and have them see it and put it on. You know, I got a niece and nephew that put it on. They were like, wow, this is so cool. It's so big and it's surreal. Hard to imagine that. You know where I came from, what I did that. You know, I have a world series ring, and I always be proud of it, and I think it's very neat.
Speaker 2: Whenever they had the reunion for the twenty twenty six world champion Dodgers, Kirby Eights will be there. What will be the one thing that you would want us to remember about that team?
Speaker 1: Ooh? You know, just the expectations and you know the kind of the c saw of the season that you know, in terms of what we were supposed to d be and what we did, and you know how people were kind of writing us off and all of that, and yet we still finish in first. You know, that team went through a lot last year. I don't think people really realize how banged up the entire team was. Guys were playing through things, and yeah, we still came out on top, and I just think that was I meant, it's an incredible team.
Speaker 2: Do you think these guys can three pet?
Speaker 1: Well, I'm on the other side, so I can't say, but I think they have all tools, and you know, I wouldn't put it passive.
Speaker 2: Thanks a lot for the time, lovely living last year with you and all those guys, and certainly you mean a lot to all of us. So continued success, Stay healthy, and watch out for your traveling secretary over here with the halos Well