Speaker 1: Hello, Hey, who's this?
Speaker 2: Are you?
Speaker 3: Hey?
Speaker 1: A j How you doing, dude?
Speaker 2: I'm good?
Speaker 4: You good?
Speaker 1: Hey you did a little bit of time?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I did more than a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Can I ask how long? Not that it matters.
Speaker 4: I did six the last one I did with six years.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, all right, all right, Hey I don't Yeah, no, you wouldn't. And I don't know if you'll agree with this or not. I want to read a how do the cops are crooked? I want to read you. I want to read you something and then I want you to say. I want you to agree or disagree. Okay, okay, this is a headline. This is a headline. I didn't realize how addicted I was to my phone until I went to prison.
Speaker 1: Is that?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 1: Is that true?
Speaker 5: Bad?
Speaker 6: Again?
Speaker 4: I didn't know what.
Speaker 3: I didn't realize how addicted I was to my phone until I went to prison.
Speaker 4: Mmmmm y it could be for some people.
Speaker 7: I mean for me, it wasn't that now?
Speaker 1: Oh really?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: So you would you?
Speaker 3: So I'm reading about this guy in Cincinnati and he had to he had to go to jail.
Speaker 1: I think it was for sixteen months, is what he got sentenced?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: And he ends up not doing the whole sixteen months. The whole story doesn't matter. But anyway, he he like he had to turn himself in. So it wasn't like he got busted out somewhere, but he had to turn himself in. And he was like, I turned you know, I showed up to the jail or whatever it was, and I gave him all my stuff, including my phone, and I went in.
Speaker 1: And then all of a sudden, I'm like, because think about it.
Speaker 3: Anytime your phone vibrates, buzzes, dings, notification, look something up, check email, scroll, We're on our phone non stop, NonStop still and then myan like this it's gone, and nobody ever, nobody, I've never I've never even thought of that, like you think of all the other stuff.
Speaker 4: Though, say again, I could see that because you know when I went in. You know, when you go away, you know you want people's phone numbers, you need addresses, you want.
Speaker 1: To write this and that, you want to call you don't have it.
Speaker 7: And everything's in your poem.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, So what am I supposed to say, ward in, I need my contacts? He ain't given me that. No, no, no.
Speaker 3: For all of the stuff, that I think about that would make me miserable in prison. Hey, thank you, sir, Thank you, my friend. That never crossed my mind. But then you read this and you're like, oh my god.
Speaker 8: It's your biggest fear, and now it's even more so. Yes, I too have never thought about that angle.
Speaker 3: So you wake up in the morning in jail and you don't need to know who won.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's no notification.
Speaker 7: You wake up first thing everybody does, and they wake up your phone.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, I wake up. I don't know. Oh my god, did o we get to a thousand? I have no way of.
Speaker 7: Knowing how long did this person end up doing that? You're right about.
Speaker 3: I don't remember how much of the of the sixteen months, or maybe it was more and they did sixteen month. I don't remember the exact numbers, but enough enough for two things number one, enough to realize, holy crap, like everything you do is connected to your phone texting, texting. If I went to jail tomorrow year, all of a sudden, I'm not in our group text anymore. I'll get out in three years. Do you know how much reading I'm gonna have to do to catch up? You don't know what's going on? Face timing? I FaceTime on my phone? Well, what am I supposed to do now? I don't have face time? No?
Speaker 1: And Diane's sure as hell he coming for visiting all the time. I like to talk to the boys. Nope.
Speaker 8: But it's not just I mean, obviously, you go to jail and know your communication is limited with the outside world.
Speaker 1: I don't think you it dawns on you.
Speaker 8: Oh how easy it is to communicate when you're not in jail. Sure, I'll give you that, But it's everything else too. It is the apps, it is the notifications.
Speaker 3: It's not just No, it's not talking right yeah, no, no, no.
Speaker 8: So when this guy got out, did he look to address his addiction?
Speaker 3: So he said that, actually, he said, you know what, son, then you get to a point where you go, like you learn to live with it, yeah, and you learn to like now, like your mind's freed up. So like he started writing things and journaling like I don't know, he wrote poetry, stupid but whatever. And he got out. Once he got out, he was like, you know what, I'm not going to be Oh.
Speaker 7: He didn't want to go back to those old waves.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to be a slave to my phone?
Speaker 7: And how long has it been since he was released?
Speaker 3: Oh, I don't know how long it's been since he was released, but I know he immediately became slave to his phone again, like ten days.
Speaker 9: Ten days.
Speaker 1: He was like, oh crap, hold on, I gotta do this.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, like as much as he wanted to, it was everything, you know, I'll just scroll here, I'm on Instagram. Here I go. So yeah, he was like I wanted to. I wanted to be like, I'm not going to let that.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to let that be my life because the I don't want to call it withdrawal, but the withdrawal of like not having every app you want and every ounce of information you want.
Speaker 1: Like if an inmate.
Speaker 3: Said to you, hey, is it is it shambala or Shambala, you'd go, well, hold on, I'll.
Speaker 1: Just add let me search it on look it up. Yeah, well you can't do that.
Speaker 8: So the headline you read did use the word addiction. Is there a little hyperbole there? Is he just saying how much I relied on my phone? Yes, because there are people who are addicted to their phones, but all of us, we just use it heavily.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, we're on no no, no, no no, but we're on it all the time, all the time.
Speaker 8: Yes, as you laid out for an assortment of things, but if it's taken away from you cold turkey, it may feel like you were addicted.
Speaker 3: In hindsight, yes, yeah, so I don't think they mean literally like you're addicted to it.
Speaker 1: But think about it.
Speaker 3: If I woke up in jail this morning, like yesterday, I was out. If I woke up in jail this morning and I turned the show on, I mean they should have it Blair all through the system.
Speaker 1: Hopefully my selly has is listening. I wouldn't. I wouldn't be able to look up Capital Curl.
Speaker 7: Which a lot of people have.
Speaker 3: What about don't like any of the pictures? Because Dustin all he cares about is getting traction.
Speaker 8: How he wrote a note about that. I know this was three hours ago, so you had to be listening from the launch, but.
Speaker 1: He's which everybody should be every day.
Speaker 8: I have nothing to do with that account.
Speaker 1: Other than supplying with my curl.
Speaker 8: But I do need people to engage with the JD five posts.
Speaker 1: Where am I going? Kristen line six?
Speaker 3: Hi Yelli in the morning, Yeah, Hi, did you did you were you locked up for a little bit?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was in uh for eighteen months, and I'll do Jeff for eighteen months. I did a three year bid.
Speaker 3: Hey when when you when you wake up that next day and you're like, uh, oh, I ain't got my phone, does it? Like that's got to be like that's not something I think about going in.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 4: Well, when I was like I was in a state prison. I was in the Maryland State President So like when I went at County, like I could get all my phone numbers from my contacts as I need it out and like they took myself on a sent at home or whatever. But after that, like they have phones there you can call your people or whatever. But like I was glad I didn't have my cell phone anymore, Like why thank god? Just because like, uh, the the hustle and bustle was like all right, everybody's like trying to contact me, and like I'm always in my phone. But they had they had tablets that we could use to like get emails and like you know, play games and stuff I think that I wouldn't normally do on my phone. But I mean I didn't miss my cell phone at all.
Speaker 1: Wow, dude, good for you.
Speaker 3: Good for you than usual, by the way, I would bet you also got to be real careful with what.
Speaker 1: Games you're playing.
Speaker 3: Like I don't need I don't need some guy over my shoulder who is five minutes away from whipping my ass and I'm taking an extra long time on candy crush, Like.
Speaker 1: You better think gta.
Speaker 3: Buddy, Yeah, like some hard for him?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 4: Did Yes, I wanted to do a fault the other day, but you're talking about Marzong my song. I called christ and my ex girlfriend to say vodka Tonics.
Speaker 2: They hate it.
Speaker 3: Oh, Vodker, Vodker. Yeah, all right, dude, Hey, I appreciate it, thank you, sir.
Speaker 8: Yes, Tyler Elliot. I only went to jail for ten days. It was during March madness.
Speaker 3: Oh no, I filled out a bracket before I came in.
Speaker 8: I lost my mind not being able to use fan duel or follow scores. There was one TV and this guy only wanted to watch South Park.
Speaker 1: That's well, that's the other thing I was gonna say it, like I know that there's a TV room.
Speaker 3: I hope everybody in here is a hockey fan. Uh no, that part? Oh, could you I didn't think sports. I didn't even think about not being able to bet.
Speaker 1: Oh no, that's a problem.
Speaker 7: Really, you have two addictions.
Speaker 3: Now wait where am I going? Kristen Line one? Hi Elliott in the morning. Elliott, Yes, sir, Yeah, just Jim, how long were you in.
Speaker 9: Uh thirteen years?
Speaker 1: Okay, Well that that that's a while.
Speaker 7: This made him pre cell phone.
Speaker 9: But no, it wasn't now now, I mean i'd be that a while. But now, uh, they have assistant called GTL and it's uh, they have cell phones that you'd have. They're not elaborate like what we got out here.
Speaker 2: It's not an elaborate like iPhone is.
Speaker 9: But you can send text messages, instant text messages, emails and stuff like that, review pictures that you may send and receive. But it's very limited. Right, But there are cellos there. But yeah, I would I would miss but yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: You'd miss your phone if I if I came, if I came and threw you back in tomorrow, you'd be like, oh god, damn.
Speaker 9: It, man, the now he's so screwed up.
Speaker 1: Here's the other thing. Hey, thank you, sir.
Speaker 8: Here's but we've also talked about those platforms and how much they cost, how much they cost, how limited they are. The other thing in here though, So this guy that I was reading about in Cincinnati is talking about how.
Speaker 3: His whole thing was, I'm not breaking any rules, like I don't want to spend a day longer than I have to be in here. I'm not breaking rules like. He even goes through and is like, if somebody he's going to try to fight me, I'm not fighting, like, I'm not getting in trouble. No contraband, no nothing. He said, I'm gonna say everybody in air quotes, there's so many illegal contraband smartphones in prison, you'd be shocked.
Speaker 8: Well, remember back in the day, our guy who would check in from time to time. Are you not saying his name or do you forget his name?
Speaker 7: I'll give you his name. He had a nickname. What was it, kid Rock? Oh that's right.
Speaker 1: Oh, and I haven't thought about me, that's right. He used to call all the time.
Speaker 2: Huh.
Speaker 7: Didn't he send some photos?
Speaker 1: Yeah? He sent pictures of his penis tattoo.
Speaker 8: Oh Yeah, see I forgot about that. Yeah, I had also Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well I don't know how you did. It was Diana DC one on one dot Com.
Speaker 8: That's the same logging for the White Marlin Open broadcasts.
Speaker 1: The No No.
Speaker 3: But so he was saying, and I don't know if this is true. He was saying that, like at night, when there's fewer guards and everybody's locked down, all you see is everybody sell light up from that little blue lesson screens of their phones. So in one hand, you miss your phone, but on the other hand, everybody's got them.
Speaker 1: Line two. Hi, elliot in the morning.
Speaker 5: Helly, good morning.
Speaker 1: Hey, who's this.
Speaker 5: The chill from the West side of Atlanta?
Speaker 1: Hey, Tim, how are you sir?
Speaker 5: Beautiful bro? Hey, I hate to follow it other dude up because I've only done five years.
Speaker 3: Oh that's okay. Hey, listen, it's not a contest. It's not a contest, hey with they I know when you went in, were you like like, there's I'm sure there's everything that goes through your head, But were you like, oh god, damn, I really missed my phone, dude.
Speaker 5: A lot of things go in but uh, this was in ninety three. I've done from ninety three to ninety eight. Kids were small and I had a little too much we eat in the house, right, and uh, I went down the thing about it is in there. The biggest thing that we had wanted some newspaper.
Speaker 2: Every morning.
Speaker 5: They delivered that at Lana jarn Old Constitution. That's how we got our sports news right there.
Speaker 3: Brother, Oh come on, and by the way, I have to wait.
Speaker 1: I want the hockey scores. I got to wait.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you're not having a cell phone in night live.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, okay, Well you didn't know any better. You didn't know any better. You needed to commit your crimes later.
Speaker 5: Hey, that's a reality check, broke. And the first thing in the morning, you jump up. If your shad's clean, you can go to breakfast. If not, you just deleted that me old brother, all right, and I just want to I'm just want to let you know I've done the right thing. I've done my whole five to the to the day, and I worked every day during the Georgia Puneral system.
Speaker 3: Hey, well listen, I'm and I'm assuming since ninety eight you've been good and everything's been great.
Speaker 5: Dude, I'm home thirty years. My two sons are thirty eight and forty. I couldn't be no thing that I worked Georgia Pam motion picture. Dude. I drive a truck. Every day. I make thirty dollars an hour.
Speaker 2: Life is great.
Speaker 1: Good for you, Good for you.
Speaker 3: Let's just remember, let's not let's throw you in jail the next time we cuss.
Speaker 5: Hey, yeah, I'm sorry, that's all right. I get no intentionative about my two boys because they, uh, they grew up without their their mom passed back in two thousand and ten, and I had to bust ass to raise them into the me in the order day.
Speaker 7: We're proud of you. Yeah, that's great.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: Why is everybody looking at me like I'm gonna say something like oh stuck boo?
Speaker 7: Who is gonna because you are sure?
Speaker 1: You want to sure?
Speaker 5: I mean, I don't mean.
Speaker 1: Oh, dude, you're cutting out. You're cutting out? Are you there? Tim? Tim?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: No, Christian?
Speaker 3: Can you pick him up? Can you pick him up? I'll put him on hold. But I want to get him a shirt or something. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Oh, yes, sir, wait said.
Speaker 5: My morning starts with y'all every morning at five forty five o'clock. In at five thirty, when y'all are going off the air at eleven o'clock, dude from the house, I get off at noon every day, right on right.
Speaker 3: Maybe I'll start working until noon for you. All right, you know what, Christen? Two shirts? I like Tim?
Speaker 1: Hey, my friend, Hold tight one second, all right.
Speaker 5: Brother, thank you, brother. I enjoy y'all.
Speaker 2: I love you, Dyane, tell you Elliott.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, hold on one second, Hold on one second.
Speaker 7: I'm reading about Acunya's home. Sure would like to see it.
Speaker 1: Could you imagine having to wait on the newspaper.
Speaker 7: It was a time, yeah, ninety three to ninety eight. You're treating it like it is twenty twenty six. Yes, there weren't smartphones to even be contraband in jail in the mid nineties. Okay, well whatever, but yes, reading.
Speaker 8: About any sport highlight and saying to yourself, God, I wish South Park wasn't on the TV and we could turn on Sports Center would be nice.
Speaker 3: Like I can't even imagine, like just even having TV. Could you imagine at any point going well, hold on, let me just sit here, wait till eleven o'clock in channel four comes on. Don't get me the update on what happened at the Cavs game? Who and then worse than that, Well, I'll wait for tomorrow when the paper gets dropped off.
Speaker 1: I wonder if crazy Caitlin made friend with a crow. That would be horrible.
Speaker 7: But that's how it was, and why now.
Speaker 1: That's why now was so much better.
Speaker 7: Sports reporters on the news.
Speaker 1: So much better.
Speaker 3: Now, so much better now, twenty twenty six, better than nineteen ninety three.
Speaker 8: I whenever the news t is a story, I think it's dumb because anyone can just look it up and turn it off.
Speaker 1: Right, you know, when I turn it off, Doug camera is up next? Goodbye? Where am I going?
Speaker 7: Got invited back to that cookout?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Okay, whatever, I'll invite him to a cookout. Hi, Ellie in the morning. That's not true. I would never invite him to a cookout.
Speaker 6: Hello this Yeah, Hi?
Speaker 1: Who's this?
Speaker 6: This is Andy from Richard. How are you doing though?
Speaker 1: Hey, I'm doing great? Thank you? What can I do for you?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 6: I was locked up for a good ten years there, and when I came out in nineteen that was the first time I touched the smartphone. It was the most amazing thing I ever seen.
Speaker 1: Oh could you, by the way, didn't think of a unicorn? Didn't think of that?
Speaker 3: You've been spending your whole life waiting on the goddamn Atlanta Journal Constitution.
Speaker 1: You walk out and it's in your hand.
Speaker 9: Oh exactly.
Speaker 6: It was like, you know, fighting for the newspaper every morning through thirty guys, and then then you come out and then you look in your hand and it's it's right there. I did a video call with my friend and it was like the most amazing thing I've ever seen in my life.
Speaker 1: That would be cool. Hey, thank you sir. That would be cool. Paywall Like, what what's paywall?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 1: But like what happened since you were in that would be something.
Speaker 8: Well, we see that with the guys, especially because the stories are highlighted more who have maybe been wrongly incarcerated for thirty forty years, right, and they talk about how different life was in whether it was the seventies or eighty years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, that's true. That's true.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: Could you imagine coming out, they're like cell phones, like, god, damn.
Speaker 7: What's my restaurant percentage down?
Speaker 3: So, by the way, my restaurant percentage will go up tonight you d have my mystery dinner, mystery date, but no mystery dinner, mystery dinner.
Speaker 7: Will you be able on Monday? They tell us they don't know what is this? Did you sign an NDA?
Speaker 1: No? No, this has nothing to do with the name the No.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: I'm assuming that I can, but I'll find out.
Speaker 8: Well, that's weird. That does feel like a hint, Diane, What do you mean? I didn't think you wouldn't be able to.
Speaker 7: Talk about it. I just want to clear it.
Speaker 8: Or are they plans that may not be fully set?
Speaker 7: So something being discussed that.
Speaker 8: You don't want to give away on Monday, we're already giving away the chance to join us in Denver at Red Rocks and to.
Speaker 1: Win a Cruz at that Zach Brown concert.
Speaker 7: Well that's a little secondary, maybe even tertiary.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think I'll be able to. I think I'll be able to. I'm being told I have to go to line four. Hi Elliott in the morning.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Hi, who's this Kenny?
Speaker 7: What can I do with you?
Speaker 2: I wanted to give you an update on kid Rock.
Speaker 1: Wait, the inmate kid Rock that we used to hear from all the time.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, the guy the one that was in jessup.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he said he had tattoo penis.
Speaker 2: The way he lasts. He passed away a little over a year ago.
Speaker 1: No, are you serious?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, the the jails say it was self inflicted, but some of the inmates said otherwise.
Speaker 1: Oh no, so he was still in jail. Wait was when we talked to him? Did was he released?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: No, no, no no, no.
Speaker 2: He was doing he was now going to get out.
Speaker 1: He was doing life. I remember that. That's what I was going to ask, was he doing life?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Oh no, So he died. He died about a year ago. Huh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was like a little more than a year ago. But they they they said it was self inflicted. But the inmates told my cousin, uh, his brother is married to my cousin.
Speaker 1: So I got that.
Speaker 2: Some of the inmates say otherwise. All right, yep, I just want to give you all.
Speaker 1: I appreciate it when.
Speaker 2: He when he would get on air with y'all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Maybe I'll pull up that picture as like a flashback Friday or something like that.
Speaker 7: All right, thank you, that's Friday. All right, Well, all right, speaking of Atlanta,