Speaker 1: All right, it is Mojoe in the morning. Somebody needs to explain this one to me. The big story that is going on right now is meteorologists are saying that it is going to get so cold that we may see exploding trees. Some like weather guys. I have to see if I get see some audio from these weather guys explaining this thing. But I think they said it was maple trees, that the maple will expand so much.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're right.
Speaker 4: I think it's.
Speaker 3: Crazy.
Speaker 4: I did not think this was a real story.
Speaker 1: That's how you know it's too cold outside, that it's so cold outside that the trees are exploding. Man oh man, hold on a second. I want to see if I can find this thing. Yeah, all right, here's the here's the story right here. Uh a tremenderate they Oh my god, this is actually how they started it. A tremendous freeze and they held it with a tree.
Speaker 3: Tree.
Speaker 1: Forecasters are warning of an expectant sub zero temperatures causing trees to explode from the brutal cold that is expected to wallop the country wallop wallop. Trees may split and burst in the Midwest and the northern plains. On Friday and Saturday. Because of the Arctic blast, they're expecting temperatures of roughly twenty degrees below zero. Exploding trees are possible when the sap inside of the trees expands to a point that it actually causes the bark to move on the tree and the tree to open up.
Speaker 4: Can I ask that dumb question? Because I feel like I remember from science class that things shrink in the cold and expand in the heat.
Speaker 3: Something. I think I remember that in gym class.
Speaker 4: No, but for real, I don't want to understand this. It's like the opposite of what I learned.
Speaker 3: I know it.
Speaker 1: You would think, though, right that that that the cold does that to you, But I think it's the the sap on it gets hard, right, it freezes, so you sap you freezing over there and getting hard. I I want to know if when we had the last big cold that we had. I want to know if anybody has ever had that happened to them where they had things that you know, like their pipes I know will burst.
Speaker 5: Frozen soda can in our freezer here at the station that bursts.
Speaker 3: Wow, is that a science experiment or.
Speaker 5: I don't know who put it in there, but it messed up our whole freezer so got colder and expanded.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have to tell you that I used to like living in Arizona better than living here. And the reason why I was we used to do on really hot days the whole egg on the pavement thing work.
Speaker 3: It did.
Speaker 1: It actually would take a long period of time for it to happen, and it would have to be exposed all the way to the sun. But it was worth it. It was worth trying it. Hi, Stacy, what's up?
Speaker 5: Hi?
Speaker 2: Well, I'm calling about the tree thing because I heard that too and thought it was kind of interesting. But when I googled it that all the other men were saying that people just or they named it tree exploding because that sounded really more like clickbait. But the trees don't really explode, they just crack.
Speaker 3: Oh, well, you.
Speaker 2: Have another I did. I don't know what Lydia wanted me to talk about, because I did text earlier.
Speaker 1: I don't want Lydia, Lydia, I should not want you to talk about anything. You just ruined our entire conversation about Get the.
Speaker 4: Hell out of you.
Speaker 2: Like this one better. I was listening to the Joe show because his War of the Roads is I can.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: You guys had a link or something, and Joe totally does Mojo's.
Speaker 3: No he does, that doesn't.
Speaker 1: Do We have to worry about the exploding in the northern areas if it gets colder than twenty degrees below zero?
Speaker 3: Where do we stand with all of this?
Speaker 6: Right now?
Speaker 1: Adam, if you could kind of be a weather expert for us as we watch ahead for a cold ass weekend.
Speaker 3: This is Pat McAfee's show. Exploding trees are weird. It's I haven't gotten to experience something. It's when you get those huge temperature swings. It goes from warm and then temperatures drop rapids.
Speaker 1: Is a meteorologist speaking to.
Speaker 3: Not be a complete nerd because no one wants that. No, we do.
Speaker 1: That's why we called you. Yeah, we just that's Pat, all right? Get me a meteorologist time and I won't swear, Yes, don't that. Why do we get so worried about the swear words. I know that we can get in trouble. I don't when we hear a swear word, we all.
Speaker 4: Jump because I don't want to get fined and I don't want to be in a meeting.
Speaker 1: We all want to get written up radio. We all jump like we saw a tree explode. What's up, Dwight? How you doing?
Speaker 3: Good morning warning star?
Speaker 7: Are you doing?
Speaker 1: You sound like a very intelligent guy explain to us about trees exploding?
Speaker 7: Well, uh like like and I brought up like I can exploding in the in the freezer. Liquid actually is the thing that expands when it's cold, so like, it's why roads get cracked.
Speaker 3: The I'm not following this.
Speaker 7: So like so yeah, so liquid liquid under well kind of under pressure.
Speaker 3: It spans. What do you do for a living? I never have asked you this question.
Speaker 5: He's a scientist.
Speaker 7: I am not a scientist at all.
Speaker 3: I was a nerd in school.
Speaker 5: What do you?
Speaker 3: What do you do?
Speaker 7: Company?
Speaker 3: So you sel vending machines?
Speaker 7: I don't sell them. I got ron in a good chuck and go to different companies.
Speaker 1: And will you be off on uh tomorrow and Saturday, so you don't have to like, will people's vending machines wait until it warms up a little bit.
Speaker 7: I'm only off as they are.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you want to hope that everybody's closed.
Speaker 1: I think that. I think it's one of those things. I can't imagine that businesses are going to be open on Saturday. It's to me it makes no sense either. Very should be home. What's going on, Amanda?
Speaker 7: Hi?
Speaker 6: So, like fifteen years ago, I was in a wedding and about six months before the groom did his family where they were farmers and loggers and it was in the wintertime and they were logging and a tree exploded in his face and he had to have facial reconstruction surgery.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, that's more than a crack y'all. Yeah, see that lady, That.
Speaker 4: Is so scary for real.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and she has.
Speaker 6: Something to do with like cutting it and the pressure and all of that. But like it crushed the top of his mouth, like his everything. Oh my god, he's fine now, you know, but yeah, six months before his wedding.
Speaker 3: Wow, that is insane. Wow, thank you for the call. See that. What's up, Stephan? What's going on? Steph? Chelsea?
Speaker 6: Everybody?
Speaker 7: Time?
Speaker 6: Long time? All that? What's going on?
Speaker 7: Okay?
Speaker 3: So look I heard someone say like in grade school, maybe that liquid contracts like in the heat.
Speaker 7: It's actually the opposite, So liquid will expand in the cold.
Speaker 3: Is wide water bottle when you put it in your freeze or a glass liquid and make sure the gases.
Speaker 4: Gases, that's right, like balloons. Yes, okay, I do, thank you, so Steph.
Speaker 3: Are we hoping that the trees explode?
Speaker 6: Like?
Speaker 3: Do we want that to happen just so we can say we live to see that? Yeah? I would love to see that. I set up like a crime left in front of.
Speaker 7: My maple tree outside my house, and hopefully will.
Speaker 1: You do it with a webcam so that I can watch it like I would.
Speaker 3: I would watch that stream. I would love that boring stream.
Speaker 1: Ever, can I be honest, I've watched worse than that. I've watched, seriously, the birth, the birth of pretty much every animal on live streams.
Speaker 4: You know what, my ring cam, the maple tree in my yard is right in front of my ring camp.
Speaker 3: Motion detective off to the left. I would have to think that if it exploded, my ring cam would catch the movement on camera.
Speaker 1: Let's look on DraftKings and see if they'll post what time and date and everything that Shannon's maple tree will explode. Yeah, what's the up taking our money? Yeah, what's the right exactly? We'll lose no matter what.
Speaker 5: But