Speaker 1: Now an exclusive interview with David Bassey or Dodger talking. All right, it's time for the managers meeting before first pitch between the Dodgers and Phillies. It's brought to you by Downy Hunday and our main man, Dave Roberts is with us in the dugout. Dave, thanks a lot for the time. Appreciate it now, Dave.
Speaker 2: Always good catching up with you and fresh off and off day, so I feel good, re energize and this is gonna be a fun series.
Speaker 1: It kind of feels weird that we're talking and there's no David Bowie Let's Dance behind us.
Speaker 3: No, I know exactly.
Speaker 2: We got some type of techno music in the background. Batting Pactice is getting ready to start here. So yeah, game and all that good stuff going on. So yeah, we're prepared first series and there's no David Bowie though.
Speaker 1: The backstory on that is the final day of Milwaukee Day game. Dave Roberts comes out to touch his players, hang out with his players, and David Bowie Let's Dance is playing and I never knew Dave Roberts was a David Bowie guy.
Speaker 3: You know, it's one of those things. Dave that when you're in baseball.
Speaker 2: You've got to like everything, and certainly the eighties was kind of my heyday. So the eighties rap, the David Bowie, the all of that kind of stuff. But then also I've gotten in the country and classic rock, you like it all?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we all know you like ice Cube too, and.
Speaker 3: I definitely love my old school route.
Speaker 1: All right, let's talk about the game tonight. You got Alex Freeland at second base. Tonight, you've sent down hay Song Kim with Santiago espen all back. Does that make the roster just fit better?
Speaker 2: I think so, And we all love Haysong, And it's just having that conversation, which we had just a little while ago, was very difficult. And you know, to his credit, he's gonna go out there and leave tomorrow morning and join that OKC team so we can play in Sugarland tomorrow. And this guy just loves baseball, but he's been scuffling for a few weeks, and you know, to get Alex Freeland here, to get him some runway, and obviously losing Tao for at least a couple of weeks, and then to get reacquire Espinal has been great because he cleared waivers. So yeah, it's kind of a balance of left right, some outfield coverage. We got Ryan Ward here, so there's kind of been some changes. So it'll be good.
Speaker 1: When you talk about ti Oscar Hernandez, he was just starting to heat up again. How severe is his left hamstring strain?
Speaker 2: It's you know, what I think from what I understand, it's a grade one, So I think it's a lot better than first perceived. And I don't know the timeline, but from what I hear from a grade one, you know, hopefully it's a couple two to three to four weeks and we'll get him back.
Speaker 1: How comfortable are you or what is the plan in left field?
Speaker 3: Tonight?
Speaker 1: You have Alex call?
Speaker 2: Yeah, tonight we have Alex call, and then tomorrow Alex will be in left field, and then I'm going to get Ryan Ward to start on Sunday. And so I think for me it's kind of like shared time, not necessarily a platoon, but shared time.
Speaker 1: For the fans out there that don't completely understand the difference, what is the difference.
Speaker 2: Well, I think the difference is a place tun a straight platoon is when there's a right handed pitcher, you're gonna get a right handed left hand hitter. And if there's a left handed pitcher, you're gonna get a right handed hitter. Because I think that in general, that's kind of the best best way to kind of navigate, uh, you know, the matchups. But in this case, I just feel that Alice Call is pretty neutral. He handles right handed pitching, and you know, Zach Willie is one of the best in the game, and I just felt like throwing you know, Ryan to the fire against Wheelers probably not a good thing. So I'm gonna have Alex called take these the best tonight and then there's a lefty Lozarda going tomorrow, so we will have a platoon tomorrow, and then the next day we got Painter, so then that'll be Ryan Ward start day.
Speaker 1: One guy that Dave Robertson the Dodgers still have in their lineup is an all star potential center fielder in Andy pa Has. Can you explain the growth you've seen from Andy, not just from last year but from spring training to where we're at right now?
Speaker 3: You know what, But it's it's tremendous growth.
Speaker 2: You know, I remember a few years ago, where the guy the body wasn't good, didn't love the weight room or liked the weight room, The war cabits and routine wasn't there. And now you look and everything is buttoned up. You know, everything is for a purpose. Every that is important, you know, every pitch in the outfield is important. And he's changing games with his defense, the glove, the arm, and I think as far as you know, kind of the analytics part of things, like he's you know, one of the higher war players of value in all the major leagues. So hopefully he'll be making his first All Star appearance this year.
Speaker 3: In twenty six how good.
Speaker 1: Was it to see him not change anything after you put him in the two spot that final game against the Rockies. Do you believe you may have found your two hitter?
Speaker 2: You know, I hope so, you know, for the time being, and I think that, you know, you can see early on the year, I tried to move him up at different times, and you know, it seemed like every time I did, he sort of pressed a little too much and it didn't go well. This time, I just felt that at that moment I wanted to give Moki a different look and Honestly, it was a process of elimination on who I think earned that right to hit two in between Shohey and Freddie, and it was clear to me that Andy was the guy. And to your point, Dave, he hasn't changed anything, and I would almost argue that he's even gotten better, because before I put him in the two, he was kind of scuffling a little bit, trying to find his way to get to midst and once he got back in that too, he just really is taken off again.
Speaker 1: Everybody's asked Dave Roberts in a roundabout way about Mooki Bets, but nobody's asked you this question, who do you need Mooki Bets to be at this stage of his career? And in twenty twenty six, you.
Speaker 3: Know what I do need.
Speaker 2: I think what I need, and it's an simple answer, is I need Mooki. We need Mooki to be Mookie Bets. And I say that in the sense of you're that dog. I think that with when Mooki's right, there's that little scowl on.
Speaker 3: His face when he's hitting.
Speaker 2: You know, that determination, that fight, that toughness, and not the self doubt, the questioning, the over anxiousness in the box, and every single time he steps on the field, he should think that he's one of the best players on the planet, let alone on the field. And it is true that being a human being sometimes you start to question that yourselves, even if you are mookie bets. But for me the last couple of days, I saw that edge again and that's what I want to see. And if I see that, the results will bet on those results.
Speaker 1: That's a great description, great need from Dave Roberts. As we get set for first pitch between the Dodgers and Phillies, last thing for you as show hey Otani gets ready tonight to step in the batter's box in the bottom of the first inning, we may see another leadoff home run. There is a great image on Wednesday night after Otani came back to the dugout after his lead out off home run, of you, his manager, not ta Oscar Hernandez, not Andy pa has having the sunflower seeds ready for him. Is that the first time you've ever been the guy throwing the sunflower seeds?
Speaker 2: I think I've done it before, but this situation, Pauw Hayes was hitting two, so he was on deck getting ready to hit. Tao was in the cage, he was, I don't know where he was. And then so for me it was a big hit Homer from Show Hey, and I'm looking around the dug. I was saying, who's got the seeds? No one had the seeds. So then I had to take initiative, Dave, get the seeds and greet show Hey with some seeds. And you know what funny is, I saw a little smirk out of him, even on a pitching day, so I think I surprised him.
Speaker 1: Only manager out there that has that type of relationship with his players, that's the one and only. Dave Roberts. Thanks a lot for the time, Dave, and can't wait to do this next week again.
Speaker 2: I can't wait, Dave. I love having a chat with you and can't wait for this game to start. Let's give me let's it's gonna be go. Let's win a ball game tonight.
Speaker 3: Sounds good.
Speaker 1: Dave Roberts has been our guest, and we want to remind you that heading into summer without a medical emergency kit is a risk. Be ready with an urgentcare kit. Say forty five dollars at checkout with code blue at urgentcarekit dot com, slash blue Listening back to you, Tim