Speaker 1: Hey, Kristen before before full sale, did you go to Akron the zips? Do you see what they're doing? Stupidest thing ever, stupidest thing ever.
Speaker 2: Tachron.
Speaker 3: Diane is in Ohio.
Speaker 2: Yes, that all I know. No, no, no, no, here's what you'll know.
Speaker 1: So they have a they play in the MAC, right, which is like that whole eric. Like they play against Miami of Ohio and Ohio University. Like, there's several schools in the MAC. So anyway, Akron, Akron sucks And I'm Kristin.
Speaker 2: I'm not the school. I don't know if the school is good or not.
Speaker 1: The football team, Okay, turn yourself on, turn yourself on.
Speaker 2: Your football team sucks.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're not wrong about the football team.
Speaker 2: Oh they're horrible. Yes, they're horrible.
Speaker 4: Teams really great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I'm not talking about their soccer team. I'm reading.
Speaker 1: Akron football has been one of the worst programs in football for the last couple decades. They haven't are you ready. They haven't finished the year with a winning record since twenty fifteen, and have had more seasons with one or fewer wins than seasons with a winning.
Speaker 2: Record over the last twenty years. They're horrible.
Speaker 1: No, they really are. They are everybody's homecoming game. No, in the MAC, you're everybody's homecoming game. Now that being said, they do talk about how their facilities I've never been there, but they say their facilities are very nice. That who's their coach? Who is their coach? Joe moorehead? That good coach, Like there's nothing wrong with him.
Speaker 3: How long has he been in place?
Speaker 2: Has he been there for a while?
Speaker 4: Uh, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people say good things about him. I don't know how long he's been there.
Speaker 3: Started in December twenty twenty one, all right, So I mean he's been there for a while. Why can't he's turn it around?
Speaker 1: And they even talk about how Ohio, the state of Ohio is a hot bed for football. He should be able to recruit some halfway decent players. Now, Listen, all the studs in Ohio are not going to go to Akron, Right, that's okay, But there should be when you're competing against Ohio Miami, Like, you're not going to get the kid that should be going to Ohio State. But that's okay.
Speaker 3: Are all the kids you've said that your son was not a fan of this or is not a fan of this at Miami, Ohio. Right, Are all the kids at Acron just Ohio State fans?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean we are a lot of the so the football tream.
Speaker 5: They were building the new stadium my freshman year and they move all of the freshman football players into my dorm. So they were told they need to go around and introduce themselves to everybody who already lived there. Right, And I'm not even kidding you. There was not one player from Ohio. So when they walked in and they saw all of my walls just plastered with OSU, they came in and threw it out the window. I took my slippers and I'm like, what, I just met you And they're from Jersey.
Speaker 4: They were from Yeah.
Speaker 1: But that's okay from there. Yeah, they're allowed to be from there and still want to go. They actually like Acrid more than you do.
Speaker 5: Yes, And they even said they're like, if you attend school here, you need to be rooting for your teams exactly.
Speaker 2: Oh it does. It drives my kid nuts.
Speaker 3: I've never heard that part. The kids in Miami have their rooms, no.
Speaker 1: But you'll see flags and stuff or like if they go to beat the clock, you'll see like Ohio State jerseys and stuff.
Speaker 5: Like that, but you never have Kent stuff. That's our biggest rival. Can't read right, Kent State.
Speaker 3: Finally something else to know about that university.
Speaker 1: So anyway, are you ready for what Akron's doing? So they're trying to so. Also, the other thing they don't have is money, right, Like they don't have a lot of nil money like they don't have they don't have the millions.
Speaker 2: And millions and millions and millions and millions of dollars that other schools have.
Speaker 1: Fine, but man, they're doing something stupid that I can't believe they're doing. So they open the season this year against Robert Morris.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's their home opener.
Speaker 1: Akron Is decided to let one season ticket holder called the opening drive of their home opener against Robert Morris.
Speaker 2: So whoever wins, you have to be a season ticket holder.
Speaker 1: So they're trying to encourage people to buy season tickets, and out of everybody who's a season ticket holder, there will be a winner. That winner gets to script the opening drive of a legit regular season football game. So not just one play the opening drive, oh my god, and not.
Speaker 4: A preseason game.
Speaker 1: Holy Moly the home opener against Robert Morris. Who again, maybe you think Robert Morris is so bad that anybody can call the opening drive.
Speaker 2: Your school hasn't won anything in forever.
Speaker 1: And I'll tell you what, if I were Joe moorehead, my head would be exploded.
Speaker 4: Did he come up with this idea?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Who came up with it?
Speaker 2: You really think he came up with Hey, you know it would be good? No, I don't know who. I don't know who it was people with No.
Speaker 1: Oh, here's the other thing that they weren't anticipating. People with no connection to the university are buying up season tickets to get a chance to actually call plays for a real Division one college football program.
Speaker 4: I don't like that. What if a freaking Kent player comes.
Speaker 2: Down, Well, it doesn't matter. Can't read, you can't write Kent State. No.
Speaker 1: No, I thought the same thing, except I thought, what if it's a Robert Morris guy who's like, opening play, here's what we're gonna do. Yeah, snap the ball and drop it and then just turn it over.
Speaker 3: That's not a play.
Speaker 1: The it is we call it the we call it the banana Hans forty three.
Speaker 2: Why would you do this. This is horrible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like that's embarrassing missing something.
Speaker 1: No, you tell me it's a preseason game. Fine, and tell me it's like the first play of the preseason game.
Speaker 3: Fine, even preseason. I would you so obviously in the past you've auctioned off the opportunity to determine the starting lineup for the Capitals.
Speaker 2: Yes, for a preseason game.
Speaker 3: If you were afforded the opportunity to do something after puck drop, would you say that? May there may be some blowback for that, even if it was preseason.
Speaker 1: No, that I'd actually be Okay, it's preseason, and listen, I also know that it's preseason.
Speaker 2: Here.
Speaker 1: Here's also the other difference is it's hockey. And I don't mean that in terms of pop u larity. I just mean that in terms of I can get if I if I put somebody on the ice or set up something on the ice.
Speaker 2: I'm not talking about.
Speaker 1: When when when the winner has chosen the starting lineup, I can get that guy off the ice like that, Like you can you can make that change quick?
Speaker 3: Oh, now you're speaking as coaching staffs.
Speaker 1: Yes, you can. You can make that change quick. And there have been times where like, there have been times when when the winner has selected the starting the starting lineup for the Caps game, and I remember.
Speaker 2: And listen, beat reporters or reporters.
Speaker 1: From out of town. They don't know what's going on. They just know that they're playing the Caps for a night. There'd be stories that would show up. I can't remember where it was, but let's just pretend it was against Columbus.
Speaker 2: Their beat reporters are like, well, the.
Speaker 1: Caps really threw out an interesting lineup to start the game because they don't know what's going on.
Speaker 2: That's fine.
Speaker 1: If the Caps said you can do this for a regular season game, I would question, like Ted's got a drug problem, like somebody, like something's gone wrong.
Speaker 3: But if they gave you that access to do it, would you say no for fear of backlash.
Speaker 2: During a regular season game?
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, you wouldn't want to be associated with him.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. I couldn't do it. I couldn't do it.
Speaker 3: That's why coach is in on this. Coach okay this.
Speaker 4: It's like they've hit rock bottom and they've like, no.
Speaker 2: It's true, it's true.
Speaker 1: I or I mean, listen, and coach also works for somebody else. They could have just said, listen, this is what you're doing. Yeah, or you can leave. I don't care what your thoughts are.
Speaker 2: You're out now. I don't know. Maybe he was.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe he's ultimately had to just put his tail between his legs and go, okay, I'm in.
Speaker 3: Kevin said, I thought you guys meant call the first drive like the radio play by play.
Speaker 1: No, I'm I'm calling the plays that are going to be run.
Speaker 3: Because didn't It's happened before in baseball, But didn't the Phillies just have their winner up for an inning?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly did you.
Speaker 3: Hear that audio, Diane, No, let me see here. I know I think it was in your This is a contest, Yeah, the Cubs have done in the past.
Speaker 1: You just the optional teams get to do it where it's like, yeah, it's an auction, we're raffle in some cases, and they get to go into the play by play booth.
Speaker 3: All right, this just I guess, starts at the begin of the inning.
Speaker 6: We are headed to the third inning, Phillies on top two to one, and we're pleased to welcome Lewis call.
Speaker 2: But from Medford Lakes, New Jersey.
Speaker 3: He is our Phillies Fantastic Auction winner.
Speaker 6: He outbid the competition to spend an inning and do some play by play in the booth and lewis welcome, glad to have you here. Thank you, Scott. It's a thrilled to be here. It's a life flowing dream to me. Sound like it's cast booth. So here we go, Peter. But the first pitch to our tane that's in there for strike went, he's good too. At the bottom of the second to take by the way.
Speaker 3: I expected, Yeah, you expected a moron. He sounds awesome. He sounds like he's been doing this whole lesson.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he said.
Speaker 1: He sounds like he's a generation older. Yes, like, yeah, he's a generation older. But that was good. I couldn't believe it when I listened this morning.
Speaker 2: That was good.
Speaker 1: If Locker said come into the box and take Joby's place for two minutes, Nope, you couldn't do it.
Speaker 2: Couldn't do it.
Speaker 1: Okay, he's got the puck, and he's got the puck.
Speaker 2: And now and now back to you and now he's got the puck.
Speaker 3: Okay. So people are very confused. A lot of people think this opportunity that Ackron's doing isn't is no different than what you saw with the Phillies this week.
Speaker 2: No, let me be very clear. Let me be very clear.
Speaker 1: They are when I say calling the plays, I don't mean calling play by play. They are saying, okay, team, you may as well go down on the field and say we're going to play. We're going to do a handoff to the running back and he's gonna run right, and we're gonna go for this, and now it's second out. The good news is he's only gonna have to call three plays in a punt and that'll be it.
Speaker 2: But it is a real game. It matters. It is a real game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Their graphic says offensive coordinator of the game. One lucky fan will be able to script the opening drive in our home opener, that is from the zips FB you Akron page on answergram.
Speaker 1: Can I tell you the other part of this that I don't like? And I'm being serious that I don't like. Did Akron not think of the gambling implications?
Speaker 3: Probably not explain what you mean?
Speaker 1: So, for example, you can go you could go online. Right, I'm just gonna use the Commanders as the example. Right, you could go online and you could. You can bet on Jaden Daniels first pass of the game. Doesn't matter when it's going to be going to the left side or the right side.
Speaker 2: And I don't care if mclaurin's on.
Speaker 1: One side and Diggs is on the other, it doesn't matter. It's you can bet on what side of the field it's going to get thrown to. You can bet which way a running back is going to run. If I'm this guy who's calling the plays, and listen, the athletes know that. Like all these guys in college, they know that they know that there are It's not like everybody else knows what what sports betting is and the athletes are like, unfortunately some of them are are involved in are doing it. But the athletes know there are people out there that are literally sitting on the edge of their seat. And it's not just for Ohio State and Oregon and LSU and Tennessee and massive football programs.
Speaker 2: It's for the Akrons of the world. By the way, I don't know who the starting quarter who are they playing? Robert Morris, you can bet on what he's doing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this guy could easily go to all of his friends and go here are the first three plays of the game. Now, somebody may go, I haven't seen money like this bet On Akron in forever. He's not breaking any laws, he's not breaking any he's not violating any rules.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a weird. That's a weird piece to me.
Speaker 3: But is that where there's going to be some tiny fun that explains all of those issues?
Speaker 2: What do you mean?
Speaker 3: I don't. It's one thing to look at a graphic on social media right when you actually sign up via the season tickets.
Speaker 2: Oh, you can't tell your friends?
Speaker 3: Do you receive more information?
Speaker 2: I would hope, so, I would hope, So.
Speaker 3: Go zips.
Speaker 1: I mean you could go tell your friends bet a billion dollars. The first play of the game, he's going to throw it to the right.
Speaker 3: Because you know that stuff does get flagged.
Speaker 2: Oh of course, yeah, no, I know.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm being facetious, but I can guarantee you first pass of the game is going to go and write.
Speaker 2: And listen.
Speaker 1: At these schools, a lot of their opening drives or twenty plays or thirty plays are all scripted out anyway, so it's not like that doesn't go on already.
Speaker 2: But they all know the rules.
Speaker 1: I'm not worried about the acron quarterback telling anybody but the what are they calling him?
Speaker 2: The offensive coordinator?
Speaker 1: I don't work for the NC doule a go to hell, hell do it yourself.
Speaker 3: Bo Wright's o s calling the actual football players. Yes, WT of a real game.
Speaker 1: Again, if you told me it was preseason, I'd be like, Okay, this is a real game with real implications.
Speaker 3: From Jeff pick six on three. Christen, did you attend their games?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're fine?
Speaker 2: Oh good? Oh wait, the Achroan games are fun.
Speaker 4: Yeah they lost all the time, but they're fun.
Speaker 2: Right, so you had a good time. Yeah, good, good for you.
Speaker 4: And the new stadium was absolutely beautiful.
Speaker 1: Well, they do say it's got a very nice facility. It's just they never they've never had they've never had to worry about.
Speaker 2: The goalpost coming down.
Speaker 3: Plenty of people are shocked to learn she went there. They thought she went to iow State, got to represent I can't believe they threw out your decorations.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, they don't buy them. By the way, I don't blame them.
Speaker 4: Through it out.
Speaker 2: I don't blame them.
Speaker 4: They were serious. They said, if you want your stuff and go get your own trash.
Speaker 3: But what did they do it with the like their jersey accent?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah?
Speaker 3: Were they trying to be playful about it?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 4: No, they were dead serious.
Speaker 2: I was if I were them, i'd be pissed.
Speaker 3: Too, And now Christian, she should be pissed, not at all.
Speaker 1: After slippers, I'm busting my ass out here for for hours school. You're walking to my dorm room to introduce yourself and then you throw my crap outside.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: The first thing they acrid when the door opened was a big OSU banner.
Speaker 4: And they're like, oh, hell no, and then just like and they're massive.
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, they're huge football players.
Speaker 4: Of course, super nice guys other than that throwing myself.
Speaker 2: So well, see, I wonder if it gets pulled.
Speaker 3: When is the game.
Speaker 2: It's got to be a couple of weeks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you don't have an actual date yet.
Speaker 2: Oh I didn't look.
Speaker 1: I didn't look at what the Oh yeah, so it's a couple of weeks away.
Speaker 3: And did you say that they choose the winner on the nineteenth of August. Oh, I don't know when the winner is chosen the week before they are at wake Forest.
Speaker 2: Oh, let's see call Calshi.
Speaker 1: By the way, you're better off letting them call the opening drive against wake Forest.
Speaker 2: You have no chance there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but how much is that gonna getting paid for that game?
Speaker 1: A lot that, you know what, You're right, that's a lot more than my my auction went for. Yes, I hope it's the I hope the Robert Morris coach is the winner of the UH auction.
Speaker 2: That would be that.
Speaker 1: That would make me so happy. All right, Kristen, what is our cheer about Kent State?
Speaker 2: Wait?
Speaker 3: Hold on, hold on, I have to first make sure was it Colleen who's listening? Who chanted along with her the first time she did it?
Speaker 6: Bah?
Speaker 3: The whole state hates KM.
Speaker 4: Yes, but it's Akron's biggest rival, right And what is it again? Can't read? Can't write? Kent State