Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begune.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 1: This is World Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: Here we go again. We're gotta running.
Speaker 1: Back to get him on the show called eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy, and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you get your podcasts. Here's your host, David Vase.
Speaker 2: Welcome the Dodger Talk. David Vase with you until eleven thirty tonight. After the Dodgers fall to the Giants again tonight, the final score six to two eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. Jose Mota will join us next hour as we get closer to eleven thirty, So it's it's the vent hour. I guess tonight because the Dodgers will pull out of this. Everybody realizes that, but while they're in it, it's really tough to watch. And the Dodgers have now lost four straight games by at least four runs. That doesn't happen very often. In fact, it hasn't happened since nineteen thirty six. Yeah, the last time the Dodgers lost four straight games by at least four runs was July of nineteen thirty six, So this is something that nobody is used to. So there's no sugarcoating what's going on right now. The Dodger offense is abysmal. They're averaging two runs per game since April eighteenth. That's the reason why they're nine and fourteen. Only the Mets and Diamondbacks have a worse record since April eighteenth than the dodgers nine and fourteen record. And I talked about having a little bit more urgency. I didn't see a lot of urgency tonight. I extremely didn't see a lot of urgency in the seventh inning when the Dodgers were down a run. Now, I'm not a baseball expert or a baseball coach, but I have noticed when you're down a run laid in the game, your third baseman should be guarding against doubles down the line. And the Dodgers are really good at placing their infielders and outfielders. So I'm not gonna question that. I'm just gonna question whether or not it was the right place to have Munsey way off the line when Helia Ramos was leading off the seventh inning. Isn't that something you don't want to happen, to have a leadoff double, to have a guy standing at second base with nobody out, Don't you want to guard that line? And I paid attention to Matt Chapman the very next inning when the Giants were ahead by four runs. He was guarding the line when Mookie Betts was leading off the eighth inning. So that's number one. Number two. The Dodgers were celebrated last year during the NLBS for the wheel play in Philadelphia. Well, you know, the Dodgers over the last ten years have been pretty good at the wheel play. The best Dodger first baseman I've ever seen crashing to make the wheel play work is Adrian Gonzalez. There's no better Dodger first baseman that I've seen spoil a safety squeeze play than Adrian Gonzalez. Freddie Freeman's pretty good, but he wasn't that good tonight In the seventh inning, when Drew Gilbert was pinch hitting for Harrison Bader and runners were at the corners. The Giants were up just one run at that point. In time, and everybody in the stadium that was paying attention knew that Gilbert was going to safety squeeze. And you had the middle infielders playing barely at double play depth and Freddie Freeman's gotta hold the runner at first base Munsi was barely at the cut of the grass. And Freddy really didn't crash that hard on you know, a pretty well placed bunt. There was some English on the ball, and I think that's the reason why when he tried to bare hand it, he couldn't get a grip on it. But that wasn't executed really well. And Mookie Beds and Hayesan Kim were spectators on the play. So those are the little things. When your offense is only scoring two runs per game since April eighteenth, that rear it's ugly head when you're not outslugging those mistakes, and right now the Dodgers are not outslugging mistakes. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five point seventy is the phone number. And another concerning thing other than opposing team's number nine hitters beating you. If you remember in San Francisco, so the recently traded Patrick Bailey, number nine hitter beat the Dodgers with a three run home run in the middle game of the series in San Francisco, and the Giants shut the Dodgers out that night three to nothing. Well tonight, since Bailey's been traded, it was Eric Hass who did not have a home run this year, hitting ninth, hitting two home runs off the World Series MVP Yoshi Yamamoto. No Giant since Dodgers Stadium opened in nineteen sixty two has ever had a multi homer game here at this ballpark until tonight Eric Hass. And Eric Hass almost became the first Giant in seventy five years of Dodgers Giant's rivalry to be a catcher for San Francisco or New York and have a three homer game against the Dodgers. He was inches away from doing that in the seventh inning. You just when you're in it the way the Dodgers are in it nine and fourteen since April eighteenth, these things happened to you, and you've got to be resilient. And I hear players talk about this all the time. If you do your job, if everybody does their job, things will fall into place, which is true. But you got to come together as a unit, and it just seems like every at bat is on an island. Dave Roberts said, there were minimal opportunities tonight, I guess, but the Dodgers, I thought, let Adrian Houser off the hook in the very first inning, bases loaded one out and you only get one run. How About in the eighth inning, bases loaded one out, Max Munsey at the plate, the guy you want, and Max Munsey takes cold strike three on a fastball away from him. He obviously was guessing for something else and he kind of gave up on the ad bat. I love Max Muncie, but he was so upset for taking strike three that he forgot to challenge a borderline pitch, or he blacked out and didn't. He was so angry that he didn't challenge a borderline pitch with the bases loaded and won out in a full count. That could have changed things at that point in time if it was called ball four. If it's not, it was still worth the challenge. That was the highest leverage of situations that the Dodgers want their hitters to challenge pitches in. So those type of things again are happening and happen when you're going through it the way the Dodgers are going through it, and they've got to find to pull themselves out of it. I mean, I said last night, I demanded six in a row as far as wins go. I mean, it's already upset to split four games against these giants, but you gotta find a way to win the next two. And it's not going to be easy facing Robbie Ray, who has been historically really good against the Dodgers. Here's something else that's alarming. Yamamoto last year only gave up fourteen home runs. Tonight he gives up three. He's given up eight home runs already this year. You know what that is trending towards. It's trending towards Yamamoto being on pace to give up thirty one home runs this year. That is alarming. You even heard Rick Monday and Steven Nelson talk about the fact, and Yamamoto even said this in his postgame media conference that players are barreling the ball up more on him for some reason. This year. No Dodger has given up thirty home runs in his season since Jeff Weaver in two thousand and five. I lived through that. It wasn't pretty. He gave up thirty five home runs in two thousand and five. Now, I will say this in yamamotos defense. He did not walk a batter tonight, so all three home runs were solo home runs. But it's hard. It's hard to go back into that dugout when you give up three home runs to the number eight and number nine hitter of the San Francisco Giants, who, coming into this series were the worst offense in baseball, fewest runs scored, fewest home runs hit. They had only hit twenty six home runs coming into tonight, they hit three. It was their eight to nine hitters. I'm telling you this is inexcusable. They're losing to an inferior team. Celebrate ninety years of racing at Santa Anita Park every Friday through Sunday with millions in pay every race day for heart pounding action and new experiences. Visit Santa Anita dot com slash events. Now, I will say this in the defense of the Dodgers. They lost all six games to the Angels last year and they went on to win the World Series. So, like we talk about all the time, these games in may matter yes, but at the end of the season, when you're the Dodgers and you're in the postseason, people don't remember these type of games. But certainly you got to get there first, and everybody expects the Dodgers to be there. And I hate when I hear national hot takes saying the Dodgers are just going to sleep walk through the regular season. They can't afford to sleep walk through the regular season. Eight six, six nine, eight seven, two, five seventy is the phone number Dodgers fall to the Giants tonight, six to two. Let's go out to Rancho Cucamonga. Ralph. You're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi ro, Hey.
Speaker 3: Did you kind of stole some of my thunder? I was going to ask you about the ADS system, you know, the protocol. I mean, obviously months he taking that third strike.
Speaker 4: Which you know you can tell on TV that it was a ball, and you got two challenges.
Speaker 3: I mean, what are you waiting for? You know you're not going to take them home with you. Same thing earlier in the year. I remember it was a game with Freeland.
Speaker 5: I think goes up.
Speaker 3: Same thing.
Speaker 4: Took another call strike three, obvious ball, didn't challenge with old Tani on deck, you know, and they lost that game just and you know, kept.
Speaker 3: The two challenges. Is there a protocol amongst them, the managers, you know, talking to them saying hey, yeah.
Speaker 2: That was the situation, Ralph. That is the exact strategy. The Dodgers want their hitters to challenge borderline pitches like that. And like I said, Monsey was upset that he thought he struck out and it was a fastball. He guessed wrong, and he was upset. And you know, I don't want to say he gave up on the bat, but he certainly wasn't in the right frame of mind to say, hey, wait a minute, I'll challenge that. So his head wasn't in the game. He was just upset at himself. And that's what I mean. You can't just be worried with yourself. You got to know the situation. And look, this is something the Dodgers have talked about as a strategy, and there was no more particular moment than that, that particular moment that they would want the Dodgers, a Dodger hitter to challenge a pitch. See, he just he made a mistake and that happens.
Speaker 3: Ralph, Yeah, I.
Speaker 6: Guess so, yeah, because I mean there's not more of a of a bigger spot than that. Bases loaded in the eighth and you got two challenges left. Yeah, I mean, if you lose it, you still have the last one. But I just was curious about, you know what, what the thinking is, you know, by the mannerers talking to them before they go up.
Speaker 2: I mean, you have two seconds to challenge. You don't have all day, you don't have the chance to go to the phone. So they hitters have got to have the presence of mind and be able to challenge a pitch like that one. And look, Muncy has been the Dodgers' best player all around this year, so I'm not gonna crush him for that one particular moment. But it wasn't his best moment, I'll tell you that, all right, Thanks Daude, all right, Ralph, Yeah, it's hard for me to crush Max Munsey, who leads the team with eleven home runs, who is one of the best defensive third basemen this year in baseball. He had a bad moment at a bad time of the game, but he's had a lot of good moments this year. Let's go out to Santa Monica. Justin, You're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi Justin, Hey.
Speaker 7: Dave, thanks for taking my call. Yeah, so, I just kind of want to piggyback a little bit about our hitting and let's just talk a little bit about Otani. It was really encouraging, certainly to see him get a home run tonight, but you know, we got one of the greatest players of all time in his first really major slump of his career, and I don't think the best idea is Roberts to just yo yo him in and out of the lineup to instill some sort of confidence. I mean, I think there's you know, at this point, you know, let's talk about Aaron.
Speaker 8: B Like, it's like, well, we're.
Speaker 7: Gonna play it. We're gonna let him bat this game. But now I'm not like last week, the middle of the game they decided that they weren't going to let him hit the next game. It's kind of like, you gotta led him. He's one of the greatest hitters we've seen in our time, so you know, he has the talent to do it. And I'm going to call out our hitting coaches. I'm like what are they doing to earn their salaries. It's like this is the prime example where we need your expertise to have them take a look at what he's doing right and wrong with that swing of his and help him. I mean, basically, have him just even look at the pitches that he's going outside the zone with he's just throwing as bad at it. I mean, I don't I'm not a professional. I'm not paid to be on the sidelines. I wish I was, but these guys are not just seem like they're doing what they need to be doing with our team now, just averaging under three runs per game this month, like you called out, outside of the Houston games. It's just like it seems that we need to get our coaching to be a little bit more responsible here. I really don't like what Roberts has been doing with Otani either, to have him coming in and out of the lineup.
Speaker 2: I disagree with you. I don't think he's doing that. That was that one particular game, and I don't disagree with him. He said yesterday, and I'll let you hear that after we hang up, but he already made it clear and he didn't let Tonight's performance sway him from saying, uh, okay, you're gonna hit now tomorrow night. As what you're saying the yo yo, he's not yo yo ing him. He's not hitting tomorrow even though he had his best offensive game in quite some time.
Speaker 7: So do you think that's a good idea to take him out of the lineup when judge he might be starting to figure out.
Speaker 2: Out well when history tells us that sixty four at bats with him pitching, when he hits, he's hitting two hundred with two home runs. So even when he does well the nights before and around it, when he pitches, he's hitting two hundred and sixty four at bats with the Dodgers.
Speaker 7: Okay, you're around the team more than I am, clearly, But like, do you like what do you see from our hitting coaches and working not just with Otani but the rest of the team. I mean, Tucker, I mean, he's doing a really good impression of Conforto if you ask me, It's like, I just see a guy that we put a lot of faith, a lot of money in, and I'm seeing mediocre results too, And it just seems overall there's a little bit of a malaid with the hitting on his team. So I'd like to see our hitting coaches step up and do more with this team. And I also like to see the team show a little more fight. Like you said, it's like you see like they're sleepwalking out there. There's a lack of focus and overall fight. And example is with our abs challenges. I have not yet seen Otani challenge a pitch when it's outside his own and I guess.
Speaker 2: That's not true. He has he has, Justin, I understand the frustration with what happened in the eighth inning tonight, but you're making a lot of generalities, and I understand your frustration. But I feel like I've let you vent enough and I'll let you hear what Dave Roberts had to say before the game about his plan for Otani tomorrow and Thursday. How about that? Can we agree on?
Speaker 7: That sounds awesome, Dave. I'll be at the Ravine tomorrow. Let's hope we turn it around, all right?
Speaker 2: I love it, Justin, all right, since everybody wants to know, and I understand what Justin is saying, but it's perception not reality. The Dodgers are not yo yoing Otani. They're going with the plan, and they're sticking with it. In this case, the yo yo would have been they see him get on base three times tonight, they see him hit his second home run in one hundred and eight plate appearances, and they say, you know what we said, you weren't going to hit tomorrow, Well you are now. That would be a yo yo. This is what Dave Roberts said before the game yesterday, and he has maintained a stick with the plan of Otani only pitching tomorrow night.
Speaker 5: I do know he's not going to hit on Thursday.
Speaker 2: I do know that.
Speaker 5: And then as far as tomorrow, I haven't decided yet, probably leaning towards not having him hit tomorrow, thinking that, you know, it might just be a be a good thing to take a little bit of a load off of his plate offensively, so, but I haven't made that decision. Maybe some of it is affected by tonight, but I don't know. Like I said, I'm probably leaning towards not having them hit for the next two days. The pros are taking the hitting part off his plate, letting his body recover a little bit. As far as being a two way player for a couple of days, playing more the longer view, potentially giving him a reset on the offensive side. The cons is just not being able to write his name in the lineup at the top of the.
Speaker 2: Order, all right. So that is the explanation for Justin and Santa Monica and you as well, what the Dodgers plan is for thirty one year old two way players, show Hey Otani, who has been one of the best starting pitchers in baseball this year with an ERA under one. There's no disputing that. If you had to handicap the Cy Young race right now, it would be Mason Miller from the Padres, it would be sho Heyo Tani, and it would be Christopher Sanchez. Those would be the three best right now. If you're handicapping the early May National League Cy Young race, those three right now are very much in the conversation above everybody else. But I it's hard for me to disagree with that. And I'm not a guy in the boat that says Otani should give up, because he's not. He's very much intent on trying to be the best picture he can be, and that is his identity. When the Dodgers signed him, they knew that was his identity, a two way player, not just a hitter, but a two way player and the best player on the planet. Because of that, now you can argue what the Dodgers need more? Do they need Otani the hitter more or Otani the pitcher more? I would argue the Dodgers, if I had to choose one, it would be Otani the hitter. They need him more then they need Otani the pitcher. But he is a two way player, the greatest player on the planet, and there is no disputing the fact he has been one of the best, if not the best, starting pitcher in baseball this season. And you're gonna see that on display again tomorrow night. Now here's my thing. Okay, Otani's not going to hit tomorrow. Who should be the DH and who should lead off? I would have Mooki Betts leading off tomorrow. I would have Mooki Betts leading off Thursday. I would have Freddy Freeman DH. I would have Dalton Rushing playing first base. And I have maintained that for the last couple of weeks. Freddie Freeman's thirty six years old. The Dodgers are in the middle of playing thirteen in a row. Freddy wants to play out every day. Fine, you're gonna be the DH Dalton rushing, You're going to play first base. And Mookie Betts, who has been one of, if not the best leadoff hitter this game is seen in the last twenty five years, should be the leadoff hitter on those days. And if he performs well, and if Otani still is, you know, taking a step backwards offensively where he's only quote only hitting thirty home runs this year, then maybe he shouldn't be the leadoff hitter. Maybe it should be Mookie Betts. But Mookie's got to prove that Mookie's back, and I've seen signs of that which is encouraging. But for me, tomorrow night, just in the here and now, Mookie Betts should lead off for the Dodgers tomorrow night. Eight sixty six eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. When we continue, we'll take more of your phone calls at eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy. And that ice cube Magic was back at Dodgers Stadium tonight. It was his bobblehead night. He threw a strike to Mike Epps for the first pitch. Of course he would. He's not fat Joe He's not bouncing it. He's not fifty cent sending it down the backstop. He's ice Cube. He's way too cool for that. We'll let you hear his moment during Gotani's home run in the Sports net LA booth with Oral Herscheizer and Joe Davis. So don't go anywhere more Dodger Talk until eleven thirty right here on A five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 1: On air at AM five seventy, online at amfive seventy la sports dot com, and available by podcast on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: This is Dodger Talk with David Bassi.
Speaker 1: Two and one, the count Hiershuser, Coltani drills one left failed, This ball's hit deep, and it is gone.
Speaker 6: He looks to the sky rounding first base as if to say, finally.
Speaker 2: Show Heo Tani with his first home run in his last twenty four games. That one came at a good time, tying the game, but the Dodgers would eventually fall to the Giants tonight, six to two, and for show Hao Tani. That ended an eleven game homerless streak, which was his longest as a Dodger. He finished two for four tonight. He walked, and he had two of the Dodgers four hits tonight against the Giants and Adrian Hauser. Daniel Stewlers presents the home run forecast for your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniel Steweler's gift card visit and five to seventy LA sports dot Com used the keyword home run and to your name and you could win. Daniel Stewlers owned the dream by the way, and that at bat in the eighth inning that Max Munsey struck out looking on ninety three fastball on the outer part of the plate, that was definitely challengeable, not saying it was gonna work out, but certainly worth a try. The count was one and two, so it would have gave him second life. The count would have been two and two if the call was overturned. With the bases loaded and Munsey facing the left handed reliever Henches of the Giants. Instead, he didn't challenge and there was two out spaces loaded. Andy pah haz flew out to shallow left field and that was one of two bases loaded opportunities the Dodgers did not really cash in on in the eighth inning. No runs in the first inning against Houser, they had base loaded one out and could not cash in more than one run in that inning. Ice Cube was at the ballpark. It felt like ice Cube was in the house. Good things were going to happen. The Dodgers were going to end their losing streak. Instead, the Giants hand the Dodgers their fourth straight loss, and something that hasn't happened in quite some time for the Dodgers. They lose their fourth straight game, and they also lose it by four runs. And the last time the Dodgers lost four in a row by at least four runs was July of nineteen thirty six. But there was good vibes. You just heard Stephen Nelson call Otani's home run in the third inning right here on a five to seventy LA Sports and the Dodgers' audio network. But at the time of Otani's at bat, ice Cube was in the booth with Joe Davis and Oral herzt Scheizer, and of course the good luck charm for the Dodgers. The last couple of years brought some more to show. Hey, Otani, tell me about that night for you, oh man. That night we was broke as a joke. When I say we it's me. There is a drive off of the back of Sani headed for the lot of the seats. There we go.
Speaker 1: All we had to do was bring ice kby.
Speaker 2: I know tany figures it out. It's not simple, amazing.
Speaker 9: You couldn't have scripted it better.
Speaker 1: We're gonna go live here and stay that way.
Speaker 2: But when we do the replay, you could break it down.
Speaker 1: Okay, down the piss and the swim.
Speaker 9: No problem, there you go. But he lined that up, send it right down the middle of the plate, right where he loves it, and he smacks this thing all the way goes yard the man. How great is it to be a Dodger fan?
Speaker 2: Right now?
Speaker 1: I thought you were.
Speaker 2: Gonna read that was pretty good. Yeah, yeah, I need someone beat Yeah, how about that analysis by ice Cube? So ice Cube in the booth with Joe and orl when Otani was at bat and when Otani uh snapped his eleven game homerless streak, hitting that home run to tie the game in the third inning.
Speaker 9: So uh.
Speaker 2: Not only did ice Cube bring the Dodgers a lot of luck during the twenty four World Series, but tonight he helped out Otani, who had his best offensive game in quite some time. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. I wonder if Joe and orl H after the inning was over, you know, gave Cube a sample of what they did in year one together, filming driving down to San Diego and singing a very very white version of eminem lose yourself. I wonder if they if they showed Cube that video. Do you think they did Cube? Do you know we uh we sing a little eminem ourselves. I don't know. I don't think they did that. I don't think they did that. But it was great to have ice Cube at the ballpark tonight, and hey, that's a cool moment right there. To have ice Cube in the booth with sports Net LA and Joe and ORL and I love how Oral was trying to talk ice Cube through a sports broadcasting mechanics is we're showing the live shot right now, but as soon as we show the replay, that's not a live shot. That was great, That was great, but it was great that ice Cube played along and he was very, very inclusive. Today. We had a chance to catch up with ice Cube before he threw out his first pitch and I was gonna replay that interview, but I feel like the Dodgers losing their fourth in a row and the way they lost it to the Giants. I just figured, you know what, I'll save that for another time, or you can do it at your leisure on the iHeartRadio app. So it was really great to meet ice Cube was he went to high school at Taft High School in Woodland Hills, where I'm from. I did not go to Taft. I actually went to El Camino my freshman year and then transferred to Notre Dame High School. But he knew all about that in and out on Ventura Boulevard between DeSoto and Wineka right there. So I love it. He's a valley guy. He's la And how about this. Mike Epps was in the house when I walked into ice Cube sweet, I was like, wait a minute, that's Mike Epps right there. There's ice Cube. I mean. It was a Friday reunion and coming up on Friday, July seventeenth, ice Cube, Mike Aps, Warren g Scarface. They're going to be at the Long Beach Amphitheater and tickets are going on sale this Friday for all that Friday, July seventeenth, I got to see if the Dodgers are in town. Oh man, Oh it's the first game of the second half. I won't be there, but tickets go on sale for ice Cube with Mike Apps Scarface war g Friday July seventeenth. The Long Beach Amphitheater. Tickets go on stay Sail this Friday. Here's another thing I wanted to bring up, as far as the game goes and the way the Dodger offense is going for a few guys, now, I think you all know that I'm not a huge All in World Baseball Classic guy. It's it's a cool tournament, but I'm not going to over emphasize the importance of it like some others will and I do believe it takes away from the regular season for certain players, and it feels like more than usual this year. You take, for example, the two catchers who split up time, cal Raley and Will Smith. Cal Rawley's having an awful year to start the season. Will Smith is not Will Smith yet by the way. Uh, there's been flashes, but he's a two sixty five hitter after going zero for to tonight and his ops is seven oh one, and he doesn't have a home run against a lefty this year. Will Smith and cal Rawly split time. They didn't get many at bats in spring training, and then all of a sudden, we're asked to catch their pitching staffs and b the American League MVP and b Will Smith, who caught more innings than any other catcher in World Series history, including all eighteen innings in Game three. You don't think that has a residual effect all those things on Will Smith, who's now thirty one years old.
Speaker 8: I do.
Speaker 2: How about sho Hao Tania and Yamamoto. You're telling me a disjointed spring training for both those guys in a season where Otani's trying to go back to being a two way player has not had a residual effect on him early in the season.
Speaker 8: I do.
Speaker 2: Did you realize that Vladimir Guerrero Junior only has two home runs this year? Oh? Yeah, he played for Team Dominican. So did Fernando Tatist Junior, who's slugging three hundred these days. I could go on and on about players that played in the World Baseball Classic that are off to really bad starts, and I won't even mention Edwin Diaz and Trek Skubele undergoing loose body surgeries in their elbows. I won't even go there. Now, that's not an excuse for Teoscar Hernandez or Kyle Tucker or Mookie bats, but it does. Nobody has pointed this out because everybody wants to honk the horn for the World Baseball Classic, which is a fun event, and I do believe if you're going to do it, it's that time of the year. But the reality is a lot of these guys that played, and a lot of guys that didn't get a lot of at bats when they should have been getting their fifty at bats on the backfield and in spring training, did not get them playing in the World Baseball Classic, and then all of a sudden we're asked to jump start their season again, including Otani, including Yamamoto, and including Will Smith and cal Rawley, who were the catching combo for Team USA. Two guys that split out bats that didn't catch every game have gotten off. To cal Rawley's case, horrid start, Will Smith a very average, not Will Smith type start. You can't tell me that did not have or does not have an effect on these guys. I'm sorry. There's just too many of these guys that played in the World Baseball Classic that are off to not very Vladimir Guerrero Junior like starts eight six six nine to eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's head out to Jose Mota.
Speaker 1: It's time to go around the horn with Jose.
Speaker 2: All right, Jose Moto, Let's start with the good, which was show Hao Tani doing show Hao Tani things and not only hitting a home run for the first time in eleven games, but going the opposite way. I felt like that was the biggest encouraging part of his home run tonight.
Speaker 8: Very encouraging to see that, saying through the baseball very nicely, David really pays to the importance of coming to hit outside. And even though he did put a little bit of a show yesterday on in that first round, at least he can see that when he his body was not positioned right, the ball was still caring, but it was not the same swing against seventy miles an hour, And I think there's a true value in show. He was talking about this before with me about this. The netting is one thing. When he hit the ball against the net in the cage. It's one thing when you see the ball travel with batsman is a different thing. When we hit runs in VP without the right swing, you're fooling yourself. Now if he a line drives the other way in BPA see to travel and to carry, then is a different story in today. I think hopefully it's a good start to what he knows he needs to do to continue to drag the baseball up the middle in the other way.
Speaker 2: All right, So let's get to Yamamoto, his Japanese counterpart, giving up eight home runs so far this year. He's on pace to give up thirty one. He only gave up fourteen all of last year. Why is he giving up so many home runs?
Speaker 8: We see the barrels, which he admits, and he knows, and numbers are not lying. And one thing that's concerning to me with Yamamoto is menus score vision twenty one. Coming into today, Number eight hitter has now hit three home runs against him. Number nine hitter hits two tonight, and that's five. So I think, and I believe, and I see this run for my eyes, Dave, he is very split happy right now. He is a fastball type guy. That can base off of that with his cutter. He can based with the sinker and with his four ceiling. But he came into today with you know, more dominance from the split side. Ninety one bald Nard splitter average thirty percent, usage twenty five percent on the fastball, cover eighteen percent. So I think there's a little life missing in that fastball because obviously let's talk about this too. You just talk about the WBC. Right, Delamoto was pitching on November first, Okay, Delmoto was warming up for the eighteen inning game. He pitt it back to back games, I mean, and then he had a very short offseason. Really, he's not sixty three two forty this guy is. You know, he's put together. We know the industrant that he does have, how well prepared he is. But I've talked to a couple of hitters now around the league and they're like, yeah, we see ninety seven, ninety eight, but there's no carry as much as he used to. And that's why I see and I look at the numbers game saying why is he so heavy on the splitter? And perhaps it's because he knows his fasto's getting scored up and he's not throwing it enough to have the command that he needs.
Speaker 2: My point, Yeah, that's a great point. I mean, nobody pitch more than Yamamoto in the postseason last year, and nobody had to turn it around quicker than Yama Moto, not to mention doing it in twenty four as well. So another part of my point about the players that participated in the World Baseball Classic not having a great start to the year.
Speaker 8: Jose, Yeah, maybe that's why I'm not having a good star byself.
Speaker 2: Maybe so maybe. So how about Max Munsey tonight in the eighth inning, Jose, do you feel like he just blacked out there and completely forgot about the two challenges at that point in time, or do you believe that he thought it was just so way outside it would have been a waste of time even though it was a borderline strike.
Speaker 8: Hey, mac Munsey has perhaps the best eye of any Dodger when it comes down to pitches right on the edges and the grace on and I'm surprised he did not do that. I think out of the frustration and knowing that you got to tap right away. You take a couple of steps and you're done, he forgot about it. Is ideal spot, you know, and he's just playing very well here, you know, throughout this whole show. You know, when season began and spring running again, you've got to be strategic and pick your spots about it. That would have been a perfect spot. And then there's a couple of confusion things today. There is a time in which Andy Payes tapped his helmet, but he was thinking about if the umpire's gonna call him getting just grazed by the ball or not. That's confusion. The other part of the confusion part we saw today with the Dodgers is the player were talking about before Drew Gilbert's safety squeeze. You got Kim playing to pull plane deep. This guy's up for a reason. He's gonna put the ball and play and can run. We'll keeps looking at the dugout asking somebody if the ball did to me, what do I do? Wor'st Kim gonna be There's gonna not gonna be an old play. Max Munsey right before that, on the visit to the mound, he goes over and says, hey, am I looking for the butt or not. So there's a few things today that I think need to be addressed to clean things up a little bit more. And of course these things look way bigger when they're not hating. But these are things that do happen and will happen in tight postseason games. Is you got to go out and clean up a little bit more.
Speaker 2: But for sure, great Jose, because the Dodgers pulled off that wheel play and incredible will play in Philadelphia that helped him beat the Phillies. And then tonight they were they were, like you said, confused and flat footed and out of position.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it happens when we're not hitting. It happens. We'll be on the field for a long time when you know, it happens with the team like the Giants, which to me, if he deserves confusion, Tony Bartolo is gonna say in the college days, you're tought, if there's confusion, put the play on. It'll cause more confusion. Guys out of wet. And that's exactly what happened.
Speaker 2: A lot of confusion, not a lot of runs, too many hugs at second base, and the Dodgers have lost the first two games of this series. So Robbie Ray, he's done a number on the Dodgers. Going back to his diamondback days. Jose, it's not going to be easy to break out of the slump, but you know you're gonna get a good start out of Otani.
Speaker 9: On the mount.
Speaker 8: Robbie raised a gut dogs last couple of stars. He has not gone the easy way for him to cans him the night final. All you got to make them those strikes and find a way to be be aggressively five fo those have beast man and just go out there and grind it out and find the way to win at bats. Quite simple.
Speaker 2: All right, Jose, We'll see you out here tomorrow night for Otani days should be fun.
Speaker 8: Okay, there he goes.
Speaker 2: Jose Mota, part of the Dodgers Spanish radio broadcast, and yeah, it's Otani versus Robbie Ray tomorrow night. Otani with a sub one Elra zero ninety seven. He's two and two. And like I've said before, but especially on nights that Otani is starting, it's an event at Dodger Stadium. And uh, you don't need a bobblehead, you don't need to give away. You just need to say Otani's starting, and you find a way to Dodger Stadium tomorrow night, going up against left hander Robbie Ray three and four with an ERA of two seventy six. Our coverage begins at six o'clock tomorrow, with first pitch at seven ten. I'll be riding to Dodger Stadium in my downy Hyundai Baby Ionic nine Dodger Blue Collar. My guy Sam hooked it up last Thursday. Even Alex Vesio couldn't believe it, but it's true. I'm riding with that Ionic nine thanks to our friends at Downy Hunday every game this season. So if you see me, don't cut me off, Just honk all right. Thanks to calling to you back at our Burbank studios, Thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here at Dodger Stadium, and thanks to you for listening. In case you missed any of the show, you know where to find it the iHeartRadio app. That's also where you can hear me and ice Cube. We were together a session before you threw out the first pitch. I was going to replay tonight, but you know, the players, they really relyow me to have good feel, and I felt like it would be bad feel to replay like a jovial ice Cube interview on a night where the Dodgers lose their fourth in a row and are nine and fourteenth since April eighteenth. So I decided, you know what, I'm gonna wait until they win and snapped losing streak. Could be tomorrow night on Otani Night, but you can listen to the interview on the iHeartRadio app in seclusion and nobody will know. Once again, the final score. Tonight, the Dodgers fall to the Giants six to two. Have a great rest of your night. See it