Speaker 1: You don't want to be an American. Scott flown on seven hundred. Will do what you need to know this morning is important if you're gonna got to have a good time this weekend or any time for that matter, Encourage you not to drink and drive or smoke and drive because it's just it's not worth it. But they're changing the OVI laws, at least they want to. It's Ohio Senate Bill fifty five, and that would definitely I'm looking at this going, Matt. I got a lot of issues with it. Namely, it's not the smoking and the edibles and the stuff with THHC and now especially with the CBD of SAYH slash THHD and fused beverages that are extremely popular right now you can get in bars at the General Assembly just figured out how to do that. Now you're gonna get a whole bunch of people who may enjoy those beverages that wind up getting stopped and arrested and charged well after they consume that beverage, like days later on that jeff Meadows from the Law Metals Law Firm, making sense of it. Jeffrey, how's life great? Everything is fine? I could be driving right now, like, I think you're on your way to Batavia. You said, so this time a year with the fall, well with the leaves, and our looks good, beautiful, absolutely gorgeous, nice little drive. So the bill pass the Ohio Senate unanimously. It's in the House Judiciary Committee, and that looks like it's going to move forward. So the big question a while with them, because you're listening this going, well, maybe I, you know, like to go out and have a few drinks or smoke or whatever it is. Can you explain like what the problems they're trying to fix.
Speaker 2: So there's two issues in under Ohio viilaw as it relates to marijuana and marijuana by products. When we consume a marijuana product, the chemical compound that gets us high makes this happy, hungry, sleepy, whatever is delta nine THCHC or what's commonly referred to as THHC. THHC then breaks down into something called hydroxy THCHC, which is the first past metabolite that further breaks down into something called carboxy THHC. And under the current law, it's there is a per se limit for metabolites and for actual THC. And when I say a per se limit. Most people are familiar with alcohol, it's point oh eight. If you're a point oh eight or higher, you're guilty. It doesn't matter whether you're buzzed or hammered or not. Same thing with marijuana. Problem with this, especially as it relates to the metabolites, is CARBOXYPHC. We currently have a limit of thirty five nanograms in urine, and it doesn't matter if there's thirty five nanograms of carboxy in your urine or thirty five million. It has zero psychoactive properties. What that means is it doesn't affect your ability to do anything. It doesn't make god, it doesn't make you hungry, doesn't make you tired. It doesn't affect your ability to stand, walk, talk, or most importantly drive.
Speaker 3: So we've had this loss for.
Speaker 2: A number of years now, and anyone even prior to the legalization of recreational marijuana. If you went to Las Vegas and you got highs a kite and legally in Las Vegas under Las Vegas ball not Petereral law. Course, when you fly home and get in your car and cross over the river into Ohio, you're guilty because this carboxy THC metabolite is stored in your fat cells, and it's going to be there's gonna be a different retention period forever.
Speaker 1: Got so instead of kind of bringing around with all the numbers and that, Jeff Metters, what you're saying is is, basically, this would be like, we know that the alcohol is a component with beer or wine or whiskey that gets you drunk. Alcohol obviously evaporates quickly, you metabolize it fairly quickly compared to this and once it's gone to sit side of your system, but there could be some components in that wine or beer whiskey that remain in your body because it's a nutrient for lack of a better term, and it's going to hang around so your body digest I'd be like testing for those components of it.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: It'd be like the apple flavor in I don't know, Crown Royal, for example, hangs around longer than the alcohol does. Be Okay, we got you because you've got too much apple in your system. Same thing here. It's a component that doesn't get you high, but it's an after effect and artifact from the original product. So you know, it could be two days, three days, which is why when you have a drug test, you know, okay, well I can't smoke for thirty days because it takes that long for those metabolites to get out of your system. You're not high in day twenty nine, but the metabolites are still there.
Speaker 2: Correct, And actually alcohol Scott has a metabolite. It's called apple gluecroon EI or ETG. It hangs around in your body for up to eighty hours. And some probation departments, who you know, they do urine test for ETG to see if probation or inter drinking. So that'd be like testing people that leave a judicial fundraiser, a prosecutors.
Speaker 3: Fundraiser lodge testing them two days.
Speaker 2: Later, Hey, you're guilty, and that would be moronic. So but what SB fifty five does. There is a per se limit for actual THHC presently of two nanograms in your whole blood, and SB fifty five raises that from two to five. And in doing a little bit of prep for our discussion this morning, I actually found an article that was submitted by an opponent of Senate Bill fifty five, and it's a seven page letter that is actually I was very skeptical going into it, but I read and I'm like, this guy's pretty smart. And it talks about how people, based on scientific studies, chronic users of marijuana product can test it five nanograms any time of the day when they're not impaired whatsoever. And the crux of this letter to the Senate was that any per se limit for marijuana is still advised. And again it's it's based in some pretty solid studies. There was one study from a guy over in Europe that I've actually attended some of his lectures, right and aw Jones, And this is actually cites actual science, which oftentimes our General Assembly doesn't.
Speaker 1: Oh, they don't want to look at Jeff Meadows.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: It made me think of what we've just talked about previously with like the CBD you know, can't drink bands and stuff because the craft beer industry is fading out and a local brewery's Ryan Geist fifty West, all those guys are coming up with new products. And it was, you know, CBD infused or THC infused drinks, and there's a nuance between the THC that you extract from and you know, from from hamp and from from marijuana, and there's a nuance there. And I get that. I don't want to mingle the two together. But point is people drinking and go wow, I like the feeling better than alcohol by drinking these THC infused drinks that comes from hamp and not marijuana. Would would this all get caught in there too? So someone who's maybe you go, hey, man, I don't care. I don't you know. I don't use tin cheer, I don't smoke, I don't do edibles, but I enjoyed the THHC infused beverages. Would would people also be subject to this? Does that work as well?
Speaker 3: So the short answer is yes. Delta THC, which is largely.
Speaker 2: What's derived from the hemp product, can cause you to test positive or over certain limits depending on the frequency and quantity of use for the marijuana metabolite. So Cinebill fifty five was a wife bipartisan bill. It passed the Senate unanimously, and now it's in the House Judiciary Committee, and it completely eliminated this metabolite section of our OVII Wall forty five eleven nineteen of the Higher Revised Code. So a first glance, it's awesome because it completely gets rid of the per se component of metabolite it does say that a finder of facts, whether it's a judge or jury, can consider a chemical test namely learned along with any other competent evidence, an officer's observation, you know, what he smells, what he sees on your performance. But the problem again is that the carboxy THC, which is typically the only thing you're ever going to see identified any urine test, is not psychoactive, So there shouldn't be impairment psychomotor skills or fields based solely on marijuana metabit Interesting does that actually, by the way, Jeff Meadows, he's an attorney, Metal's law from one of the great ov I attorneys.
Speaker 1: It's Ohio Senate Bill fifty five. And even if you don't live on how you should know this because it changes our OVI laws and basically the way it changes metabolite testing for OVI, metabolizes will left over the byproduct from using THHC, so marijuana or in this case, some of those THD infused beverages that the state legislatures will wound up cleaning up so you can continue to enjoy those, if you drink those, if you smoke edibles, whatever, You could be jammed up in this thing because the metabolizes or this hang around much much longer than the effects, the high effects that you'd have. It's kind of like, you know, doing a breathalyzer test after you had a few drinks three or four or five or twenty nine days later. It's not fair. And I wonder. I can't help but think that this is like a de facto way to get people to use less marijuana, because we know the state legislature absolutely hates anyone who uses marijuana. They fought tooth and nail against all this thing. For whatever reason. Is this a way to undermine the demand for it?
Speaker 3: That's a good question.
Speaker 2: Are telling what they're thinking. But you know, there's some good language in this, like I said, eliminating the pers day limits for the metabolize, you know, and if you're sitting at home in the evening watching Super Troopers and then marijuana, you shouldn't be convicted of an ov I for driving to work the next day when the active THHD is gone.
Speaker 1: He is a Jeff Meadows Attorney's a lawyer, scientist, the Metals law firm. Ov I guy. And again it's an Ohio Senate Bill fifty five pass unanimously a change ov laws. If you got pulled over on a Friday. Let's say you get pulled over on a Friday night, take me through that stop. If you had some of these metabolites in your system. Let's say you're out having some of those beverages that have THC in them. Maybe you did that on Friday and it's now Sunday and you get pulled over before lane violation and the officer suspects that you have You've been pulled over and you've been using I don't know, either alcohol or that type of drug. How do you defend that? What's the process like from the first out?
Speaker 2: Well, honestly, Scott, I mean is the starting point. If I'm going to go out and have beverages, I actually uber from home. That way, I'm never tempted to drive you home. Yeah, and it amazes me I still have a job with all the ride share opportunities. But if you do, because it is legal to drink and then get in the cars, why there's parking lot at every bar. Right, you know, always be polite, respectful, hand your documents to the officer.
Speaker 3: Quite frankly, I'm a.
Speaker 2: Fan of rolling the window all the way down. This bull craft of cracking your window and sliding your license out. Everybody knows what that's about. Your hiding something. Just roll your damn window down and give them your documents. Let that car air out a little bit. When they ask you if you've had anything to drink or smoke or edibles, I think at that point you just invoke your constitutional right. The officer, I'd like to have an attorney if you want to question me. I really don't want to answer any questions. It is none of their business where you're coming from and where you're going to. So when they say, so, where are you coming from? Officer not answering that question. Where are you headed? Not answering that question either. If you want to keep questioning me, I'd like to talk to a lawyer. We can call Metos right now. His numbers three h nine.
Speaker 1: Jeffs my mood.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: When they tell you to get out of the car, get out, they've got fifty thousand bolts.
Speaker 3: On their hip to coerce you if you don't.
Speaker 2: And then I recommend nobody do field sobrieties, especially the eye test. When they're moving their finger or pin across your field of vision, they're looking for a neurological condition called nice stagnus. Most of the people who administer this test on a regular basis have more.
Speaker 3: Education than these officers do. They're called brain surgeons.
Speaker 2: And it's a test that's administered routinely every day in neurology and ophthalmology offices. These are people that have significant education and experience. When you've got an officer doing these tests and you're looking into the sun, you're looking at rotating lights. They're doing it on the side of the road with cars going buy a fifty five or eighty miles an hour. Overwhelmingly. Now that we have body worn camera, I can zoom in on my client space and see that there is verifiably no nice stagnat even though the officers believe they see it. And I don't think they're lying when they put it in their.
Speaker 3: Rowe Yeah, yeah, yeah, I think it's confirmation by.
Speaker 1: It, right, Yeah, And that's what it is. That's why you never you know, you have lawyers and judges and they get put they never take the test. You just say, listen, I'm not doing any I'll talk to an attorney. Can they force you to take a blood alcohol test? You've got to get a court order.
Speaker 3: For that, correct, Yeah, you got to have a warrant.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And you know, like the doormat at my in my house has come back with a warrant.
Speaker 1: Come back with a warrant. Yeah, that's a bait. And that's that's just one on one kind of stuff there. But they change these laws and then you wonder, Okay, well, is it just gonna make it? Is? Is it? Is it the fact a way to prevent people from enjoying what we wanted, and that is recreational and in cases medicinal marijuana and Ohio is Jeff Meadow's attorney with the Metals Law Firm. What's that number again?
Speaker 2: Five nine, Jeff is myself hopefully it's going to be going up here.
Speaker 1: Well, I hope not. That's the thing is, it's like, you know, it's a you represent your clients very very well, you're the best, but at the same times, like you shouldn't do it and you wouldn't have to call Jeff and because it's a it's a pain in the ass. From what I understand, I've never done it and I hope never have to call you. Jeff. I'm trying in my almost sixty years of life. Never to do that. So all the best, buddy, have a good one. I appreciate the insight.
Speaker 3: Thanks you two. Have a great weekend, yeap.
Speaker 1: Stuff you need to know as you head into the weekend. Here the city of Cincinnati can get and not get out of their own way. Interesting observation. All of the people that they have had fired in their administrative staffs, you know, chiefs and fire and they're either black or female. You notice that. And yet where's the outrage from the people who are outraged about the one white guy being the victim during the July brawls. We'll get into that. Plus, do you know how binge watching start? You gonna binge watch this weekend? The weather the way it is no football, the story behind that and how it actually started has nothing to do with COVID, by the way, nothing to do with COVID. We'll get into that next afternoons on The Scotsland Show. On this Friday morning on the home of the best Bengals coverage. Except this weekend where the Bengals are idle, They're off thereby there's no way they can lose this weekend. Can the Bengals lose this weekend? How many points. Can the defense give up? It's impossible. It's statistically impossible for the Bengals to lose this weekend. You can't do it. They're not playing, they're idle, and yet and yet come Monday morning it's the Bengals. So home of the best Bengals coverage one hundred Friday morning sloany here seven hundred. Got that weather moving in for sure football Friday night looks like the ring to move out for for football tonight. So and then Sunday the big cool down hits. But no football then because both you see and the Bengals are off done. Not sure when the last time that happened.
Speaker 4: I was.
Speaker 1: I'll ask Austin Elmore at ten thirty about that for you, A right good trivia question. Just put this up on my x feet at Scott Sloan from Scott for local guy. You know, we talked about the effects of crime and the like in downtown c I know the election's over, kind of maybe tired of hearing about it, but you know these things, as they say, elections have consequences, and the decisions made by how we police also has consequences. And on that the video is kind of striking now I can't attribute to how it's been edited or you know, if it is indeed was shot last night. But according to the guy who posted this, he was in lives downtown and was on Vine Street Thursday night, walking up and down Vine Street, and it literally is a ghost town. Like for the sake of the city, I hope that that was shot wasn't shot last night. It was you know, maybe a Sunday night or something like that. But it's pretty frightening because there literally is no one there and it's now wasn't that long ago when on a Thursday night in downtown Cincinnati it's hard to get a table. There's hardly anyone in the Eagle, for example, and normally it's like a ninety minute wait to get an Eagle for fried chicken, and plenty of other bars and restaurants where there's literally no one in there. And I hope to God again it was taken out of context. I don't think it was. I don't know what the motive would be to do that. I mean the street car, there's no one on it. There's literally no one downtown. And I know I've known some folks who worked down there and had businesses down there that Yeah, they've seen a significant decline the number of people there. The fear is now that summer's over, there's gonna be a fewer people. And you think about last night. I mean, it was comfortable outside. It was it wasn't summer, wasn't hot, But it wasn't like the weather gonna hap on Sunday for sure, And so the weather was not an excuse. There really wasn't a whole lot of other things going on to distract people. It wasn't like a Super Bowl Sunday people. Yeah, it was just it's just kind of frightening. And you can't help but think that one of the big factors, if not the main factor, it is the violence downtown and people are afraid to go downtown. You know, I've said before, Look, I'm not I don't really have that much of a fear of downtown. I'm little more alert and more aware and situationally aware. I'm kind of always that way. There are certain places I probably wouldn't go that time at night, especially the late night, maybe after like eleven or twelve o'clocks, or the when the clubs are closed and I'm in bettering because I'm old that won't be me not go to the clubs. There's a velvet rope and security guys with guns and body armor and they got metal detectors. Like, yeah, there's a place that idn't need to go into, and I gotta pay a cover to get in. Yeah, I'm good, I'm good. I'm good. I'm good. But that's that's kind of frightening, and that's a huge problem if that doesn't need the case, especially as heading the cold and wetter months when fear people do go downtown, and you wonder how many these places are going to close as a result of that. I guess I hope they got it doesn't true and it's a mischaracterization, but I have a fear it's not. The city is also the subject of a wrongful termination lawsuit by the former fire chief, Mike Washington, and a federal justice rejected the city's argument city monitor to dismiss this thing. I was like, there's no cause, there's no reason for this, summarily dismissing. The judge said, no, there is something here, and Washington is looking for punitive damages and back paying loss benefits. He says he was wrongly dismissed. Now the nicest wrinkle on this whole thing is Fox nineteen, a Trician men Atrician rob had this assistant fire chief Sherman Smith, has been fired for helping Washington's lawsuit. And he's a thirty one year veteran. He's been on the job for thirty one They're over three decades, and this is now the third assistant chief vacancy we have in the city. I'm just curious because in the context of what just happened on Tuesday, all the people they fired so far who have lost their jobs from Chief Washington, the other assistant chiefs Terry Thigi, et cetera, are either black or female. And you know, and I bring this up because we saw the race card being played during the July brawl, and the race card was played very, very hard. It looks like that race card was played wrongly. And no one's backing away from this because while you can't apologize as you're getting stuff wrong, if this were Cranleigh or I know, Corey Bowman, for example, wouldn't there be outrage in the fact that now we're dismissing minorities, people of color, women, et cetera. And it happens in under this administration Democrats, and it's not a big deal. Why is it only a big deal when it happens the other way? I mean, if race, if we want to have racial balance and harmony and tree just get and who doesn't agree with that, we should all be treated the same unless you're an a hole. If you're an a hole, you deserve to be treated like you are. You deserve to be discriminated against peace. If you're a jerk, okay, but if you're cool, like ninety nine percent of the world, it really shouldn't it's really shouldn't matter. So it's day idea inclusiveness and all the cohesion and handhold it. So it's all good, But then practice like wait a minut, and well we're are these same people who are screaming about the fact that you need to charge a white guy because black folks were charged. And it turns out, well, he was a victim in this case because we saw the video that just came out. It was leaked out by the way, the city didn't want you to see it. If that's indeed the case, and we're talking about racial justice in Cincinnati, and yah, you've charged black folks. Care's the white guy too. Okay, Well, should they be complaining about this because we have a pattern here, don't we Well, of course it's about something else, which, of course it always is. It's funny who the fine line between a you know, a patriot and a terrorist or in this case, a trader or a whistleblower. They love whistleblowers when it's big corporations or Trump or whatever. But you got a whistleblower, and I don't know if isn't that how you describe Sherman Smith, the assistant chief who's been let go, like he's a whistleblower. No, he's not. He's he's a trader. He's hurting the city, he's undermine me. There's a lot going on here. There's a lot to unpack right there, and probably too much to unpack on a Friday morning. I apologize, I apologize. Here's this is a bit lighter for you, do you know how? And I'll do this because Will Gance is off today. It's like a lot of people are off today. It's just one of those days. It's fine, the show goes on. You know, Binge watching started, Binge watch well, binge watch well, dummy, Yeah, because of COVID we had nothing better do with, but we were a binge watching well before COVID. I just read this in thrills. This is really interesting. So in two thousand and six Netflix go back to two thousand and six, almost twenty years ago, when Netflix was a DVD rental service. If you did not know this or younger, this is fascinating. So it started the DVD, which is a disc that you put in a machine in the movie or the show is on a disc. And then he had play and you couldn't really rewind it. I mean you could rewind it and watch it skim through, and it was a lot easier than the VCR and I don't want to tell you what a vcarspent. And before that, it was beta in before that, so disc you put it. It was a DVD rental surface and I forget how it worked, but they'd mail them to you basically what had happened, and they'd mail you like two or three or four shows or movies. They're all movies back then, and then you'd watch them and then mail them back, and then when they got them back, they'd send you more if you so subscribe to the ones you wanted and at the time, the CEO of the company had a software called Cinematch and that was their recommendation surface. So the idea was, hey, we have the software and it's intuitive and based on the kind of themes that we see you renting, so you know, maybe your drama or horror or comedy or whatever it is, and go, Okay, you like that show, you may like this movie as well. And that was like, no one was doing that back in two thousand and six. And they had the Cinematch software and this program that they wrote, this elegance an algorithm, and they kind of hit a wall with it and it was okay, it wasn't really great, but we didn't know how to make it better. They introduced something called the Netflix Prize, and the Netflix Prize in two thousand and six they offered a million dollars to improve the recommendation algorithm, that Cinematch algorithm by ten percent. Just improve it by ten percent and we'll do the rest million dollars. And when you offer a million dollars today or even back in two thousand and six, especially, they had something like thirty thousand participants. You had professionals, you had people in colleges, and universities, academics, you had hobbyists, you had garage tinkers that everyone's working because I wanted a million dollars. And the winner that they chose a little bit later came up with a algorithm that allowed them to get one hundred plus million ratings of almost eighteen thousand movies from a half million customers. They it just opened this floodgates to spick it, so they awarded them the Netflix Prize. Now, if you think about that, that was probably one of the first examples of what we now call crowdsourcing and maybe one of the most successful crowdsources of all time. That really put that on the map, because today the algorithm is now not only used by Netflix, is used by everybody including your social feed and now AI I mean, that's incredible, right, what incredible story. And there are problems along the way because they are inconsistencies, and you know, some people will just do a couple of movies. Some people are you know, it's like I don't know, like Yelp or something, you know, you have somebody may occasionally do a review, and then you have the super people you read or whatever it is, or are going to do ten thousand reviews themselves, and they also had a hard time figuring out movies that were a little like Napoleon Dynamite. How do you polarize? You know, how do you it's a polarizing movie. It's like either you love or you hate it. It's really hard to predict what else you're gonna lie if you like those movies, and what category is that? Actually?
Speaker 5: Is it?
Speaker 1: Comedy? Is it? It's kind of weird getting with a con brothers, for example, And so they had to work through those things. So it wasn't really wasn't overnight. But this opened the floodgate for algorithms, so all the stuff that you see now, and of course the downside of algorithms would be we want to kill each other as a result of all the algorithms, because all we're doing is doom scrolling and just seeing a steady feed of horrible things for most of us. And it just in the minute we get eyes on something, what do we do? We want more of it and so it goes. But this all started was started by a contest that Netflix did in two thousand and six really put crowdsourcing on the map, but in particular the algorithms that have led to where we are today as a society. Isn't that fascinating? I thought it was too, So now you're thinking, wow, DVDs. It's all started with the damn DVDs. Yeah, I got time to get into this because ye this there's a good Friday topic as well. I don't know anyone who actually ever consumed this. It's something that exists that you would go, oh yeah, yeah, wait a minute, that's still around. There's Doctor Pepper and you see the I think the Fansville commercials are hilarious. I think they're great. They do a good job of and that's doctor Pepper, all right, and you have doctor Pepper. You got Pepper zero, you got all different flavors of that died. Doctor Pepper is huge. So Doctor Pepper's been around for a while. Back in the day, Coca Cola, that's a Pepsi brand, and Coca Cola came out and said, well, we got to do something to rival Dr Pepper, and they came out with a product called mister pib PIBB. Mister pib apparently it's been a way for almost a quarter century, and now they're bringing mister pib back Coca Cola is and the formula contains thirty percent more caffeine than the one that replaced, called pib Extra. But so mister Pip is back. It's I guess it's It's called a bold kick of cherry cherry flair with carmel hints in a spicy finish, kind of like Doctor Pepper. Anybody want to talk about what? What the hell's doctor pep?
Speaker 5: What is that?
Speaker 1: Someone said it's prune, other people said it's just vanilla, It's no one really knows. Kind of like steak sauce. You know, there's raisins in that really raisins and stakes. Hey one, Yeah, they rolled us out in closest places Michigan. They got in Chicago, Florida, and they're gonna start rolling the house next year. And there's also a zero sugar availion. But they started this in nineteen seventy two as a product called Peppo to complete Pete with Doctor Pepper, and then of course they sued them, and then they changed the name and they went to mister Pibb. And I'm not quite sure that came from mister Pibb, but they're gonna roll this thing. It's one of those things, you go, why they're gonna roll the back out. I don't know anyone who ever said, Wow, you guys got mister pib Hey, what can I get? Would you like to do?
Speaker 2: You?
Speaker 1: Okay, what's what drink would you like?
Speaker 4: You know?
Speaker 1: Coke, Pepsi, mountain dew sprite, got Fanta? No one ever said, y'all got mister pib one of the I like oreos, there is a great No one ever went, I think hydrocks is better. Id you know what I'm saying. Anyway, we've got news on the way in about ten minutes here on seven hundred. Wow. Usual suspect kind of off today, so we're kind of rolling. I know. Later in the show, we got the doctor Sale, who's our resident doctor of pharmacy? Did you hear that? President Trump at the White House just struck a deal with the two big manufacturers Eli Lilly and Novo UH to lower the price of GLP one injectables, which is the miracle drug that's causing people to lose up to about thirty pounds. Well, we know they're cheating. You know, you can go online now and get you know, prescribed over the phone or online online pharmacistem the houture that works. Okay, to do the injectible, it's I think once a week or whatever for a few months, and you lose up to thirty pounds. Great, Now you got to change your diet habits following that or during that, because if you go back to eat an entire sheet pizza and a five pound bag of Doritos dipped in ranch, you're going to put that weight back on. So you've got to change a lifestyle and exercise and eat right as well. But for a lot of people, we have now seen the obese rate in America actually go down for a change, which is something that's unprecedented. I have never seen that before whatsoever. And now the numbers are going back down and are locked. Okay, that's good. Now. I don't know if that's a permanent thing, but hey, we're moving in the right direction. The President also is now seeing how medicare can also include that as well, So you're just going to see. The point is it's going to bring the cost down because so many more people have it, we're producing more of it. But also now that it's pretty much going to be common, a lot more people are going to get ENNGLP once and maybe that to you, maybe it's been cost prohibitive. I think when this just started just a couple of years ago, it was I want to say, close to one thousand dollars a month, I think is what I heard. Yeah, like like well over one thousand dollars a month, where GLP was twelve hundred bucks a month. And now those costs are down one hundred so it's going to be even less now. I could imagine. It's the governments off from this whole thing. So they struck a deal and everybody's going to be on this stuff, and at some point it's just going to be you know, when you go in to get a mister pib, they're going to have the GLP one in the mister pib. It's going to be pib LP one or something like that. We're headed to five one, three, seven nine, the big one. Let me go to Jim Claremont County on seven hundred. W W Jim, good morning.
Speaker 4: I saw me.
Speaker 6: One thing I don't like about listening to is you make me laugh so much. I got to go to the bathroom anyway.
Speaker 1: Gotta get rid of that, mister pidd.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but you were talking to earlier about that next flick thing. I remember the I remember the Columbia house saying music thing when I was in ice work.
Speaker 1: Fine job, remember that, Yeah, you get so it was like a penny and you'd get thirteen records or cassettes or eight tracks for a penny. And then the agreement was, I think for the next fifty years you have to buy. You have to buy once a month the Columbia Record and Tape. But once in a while you'll like, you know, just get down a rabbit hole up this weekend. Be good for it. You know, you're in a website or something like that, you're like, oh my god, look at that ad from you know, nineteen eighty four, the Columbia Record and Tape Club. It was pretty cool. I remember like every every teenager had, you know, you had that job. Well, if you working as a teenager, like the first thing you do get little money is getting that Columbia record table and they shit you a big box had all the great hits in it, right, And I was like, yeah, now you know about like the commitment of the contract is for the next several years you have to buy. I think it's like one one a month or something like that. So yeah, days going on. Now you just you know, subscribe to iHeart or Spotify whatever it is, and you get unlimited take it all the fun. It's like concert tickets. You just have to camp out to get concert tickets. Now you don't even get the ticket anymore. It's on your phone. And we're better off for it, I think. Anyway, it's news on the way Scott's Long Friday morning. I hope you have a good one, seven hundred WW Cincinnati. You don't want to be.
Speaker 7: An American idiot.
Speaker 1: You've got a phone show on seven hundred W LW. I'd love to chat check in occasionally with our friends and the veterans, the Veterans Services Commission, especially the executive director of Claremont's and that would be Steve Belco in the studio this morning, and Steve, welcome back. Good to have you. I know, these are tough times for everybody. We've got government shutdowns, we've got the cash flow maybe stopping people, maybe getting paid, maybe not getting paid. Not the best of times for Americans, specifically in our military at this point.
Speaker 8: Sure, sure, a lot of anxiety out of anxiety right now. So what's what's tomorrow hold and yeah, having the ability to shore up.
Speaker 1: Is this all affected in any way in shape or form what you guys do in veterans services, No.
Speaker 5: Great question, it does not.
Speaker 8: And the Ohio Revice Code established that we are part of the county millage that they take up with taxations, so we're not federally funded.
Speaker 1: But the VA it's a different story. So you as you know, and I've explained having Steve Haunt from time to time to check in with our veterans and see how they're doing. Is that that you're the conduit between one of the biggest things you do. Not everything you do, we'll get to in a second, but one of the biggest things you do, of course is coordinate healthcare and the VA covered for veterans, because again it's a big government agency and you don't have the kind of time and knowledge to be able to navigate that. So you need someone like a tax accountant to navigate that for you.
Speaker 8: Well said, well said, there's the with the healthcare. Sorry, I'm gonna caught up over my tongue. With the healthcare is also the compensation and benefits that are the result of injuries from active duty or service while on active duty. So it's a combination of both getting in through the door and then also being compensated for how you were injured, and then sustaining life after that.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: I saw this in advance of our talk today that not every state has what we have here in Ohio. All eighty eight counties have a Veteran Service Commission. Not all states do this, No, not at all.
Speaker 8: Actually, Ohio's we're almost at the pointed that Ohio's and anomaly that we have this in every county. There are I believe somewhere less than ten. I think it's single digit states that have our type of program in every county of the state.
Speaker 1: I think that says a lot about the Buckeye State and how we treat our veterans, not lip service, the fact that they're there for you.
Speaker 5: We say.
Speaker 8: And even our federal retirement so those who retire from the military, the state does not tax the retirement benefits from the military still federally taxed, but the state overlooks that.
Speaker 5: There's a few states that do that as well.
Speaker 1: All right, so let's look at the overview here too, because I have you on we talked about more granular issues too. I think the day to days of this too. But what actually you do for veterans oh us.
Speaker 8: Yeah, So when we look at what my office is designed to do by the Ohire Revice Code is a is a three legged stool that we.
Speaker 5: Like to refer to in the military, everything's in threes.
Speaker 8: So we help veterans, as we already spoke about apply for healthcare as well as benefits compensation. We transfert veterans to and from their VA appointments, which has really grown in the past couple of years as they started to outsource third party physicians to do their compensation review CMP exams. And then there's also the emergency financial assistance where there are times where life just hits you and you didn't see it coming, and we get to pick up the veteran who hit rock bottom there's no way out.
Speaker 5: And we re establish them.
Speaker 1: What is that? What by the way, I mean Preference is saying, so you're listening, going, well, I don't live in Claremont County, so I'm a veteran in my family, or I'm a veteran, or someone in someone's family's a veteran. This is true in all the other eighty seven counties. So you know, you're kind of like the spokesperson for the program stay. You know, we get people listen all over the place, and so you're going, wow, Okay, I didn't know that was available to me as a service. I thought it was just VA and maybe a ride there. But there's all these other things that go on. So when you talk about hitting rock bottom not maybe not you know, physically or in a political way, emotionally, what does that look like? What kind of support is that?
Speaker 5: Yeah, So.
Speaker 8: The Ohiovice Code says that we will, in circumstances be able to support veterans, and that is a Every county is going to be different in how they approach the financial assistance. Some label it exactly that financial assistance. Some label emergency financial assistance. So that as the commissioners of my I have five board members that are commissioners separate from the county commissioners, establish a policy to say this is how we're going to handle financial assistance. And so for Claremont County we label it emergency financial assistance so that it's a new emergent financial emergency that's like, Gee, the roof fall in, or mama's cancer can't pay medical bills, and I've got these other things that are.
Speaker 1: Falling by my car transmission out of my car, right.
Speaker 5: Right, you know.
Speaker 8: So there's there's different parameters as to how financial assistance is supported. However, every county has a financial assistance but that is based on the millage a county can bring in that supports the office. So obviously you're less dense counties are going to have less support for financial assistance. But you're also going to see it's more agrarian and there's less veteran population.
Speaker 1: Gotcha, sure, sure, yeah, it's based on the population. You had more in Claremont County, Butler Warren as you move out to the Green County a little bit different, right, that's right, Yeah, I got it. So I'm met.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 1: As far as the services going, people go, okay, well what does this cost me? It doesn't cost you anything.
Speaker 5: Does it. Absolutely?
Speaker 8: Frankly, the taxpayers have already paid for you to be served as a veteran. So when you come to the office and you want to see a service officer because you have this issue from your time on active duty and you need to apply to the VA, we have trained service officers that can apply on your behalf. They know what they're looking for, the forums that they need, the order in which they're applied. So which is really nice that you can come in and not only talk to a service officer about applying for your benefits. They can track it through the VA where most it's a blind submittal. It's the black hole you submitted into and you just wait for the letter to come right, our service officers can see within to see how it's tracking. How many service officers you have in Clarmat, I currently have four, I'm looking to hire the fifth process.
Speaker 1: Are you looking for a veteran? Do they have to be a veteran? Is that a qualifier? And what do they do? How do they get trained?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 8: Great question, So they have to Cornell Higher Revice code. A veteran service officer has to be a veteran. So they're going to come from the active components. They're going to have experience in so primarily understanding the acronyms and the communication, the verbiage that we use in the military, as well as the education they receive. Are five classes a year of continuing education, so once a quarter for the county. From the Ohio perspective and then there's once.
Speaker 1: A year for a national gotcha all right, Okay, so that makes as i'mgoing training, and the training has to do with all the I mean, I suppose you could file your own claim. I'm sure veterans all over the place file or unclaim. But the more complicated I mean, I guess, the more pushback there is or delays. It's almost you need one of these advisors to do the bidding for you because you don't know the language, you don't know where to go, who to ask, because it's the government, right. You learn that in the military, use a marine. You learned that as like man, the hierarchy, I'm standing around waiting for someone to make a decision because of the hierarchy. That's part of the problem in the military.
Speaker 5: Well, back in the seventies, our Fithers could tink around their own car.
Speaker 1: Yeah, can you do that today? I can't do that now. Unless you've got a computer, unless you've got thousands of dollars in diagnostic tools and special tools to take the air filter off, you can't do that.
Speaker 5: That's it.
Speaker 8: So there's some small things you can do. I mean, VA dot gov allows a veteran to apply on their own behalf. Now there's danger involved with that. There's not danger, there is concern involving that. In that, does a veteran know the order of precedence in which to file? Yeah, so there is with the VA, and the VA is good at kicking things back with No, that's a second or third or fourth order of cause you need to go back to the They'll just say denied, and the veteran doesn't know.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you why, and then you get frustrated and go, I'm on my own and it sucks, and you know, the big countries turn my back on me. It's to President Trump's point, that's I mean, you know, we don't want to talk about doze and all that, but that's the part of the problems. I bureaucracy is just too great.
Speaker 8: Right then, Additionally, the forms are changing. Every four to six months, something new comes along. Oh, we learned this change the verbiage in that that's now an outdated form the veteran used, which the VA kicks back. No, you used an old form, right, So now that's taken four months out of the timeframe of me receiving my benefits. So it's to the benefit of the government that they can apply on VA dot gov unless you're an extremely smart individual who can read through. We have two volumes that come out annually of all the rules and regulations and they're both about four inches thick that my service officers read through in order to apply a quality of education.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Steve Belsos here, Steve is the executiverector of Clamont County Veterans Service Commission'm gon to pause us for just a second, Steve and switch back to real world and those of us who didn't serve our country like you did and which so right now the government shutdown and there's a debate over healthcare. Right we're shut is a healthcare. Healthcare The people who are the Democrats in particular want universal government subsidized healthcare. So you're listening to this now, going, can you imagine if we get that, we're going to need not Veteran Services Committee, We're still going to need someone to interpret healthcare. Well, we have to go to the doctor and need surgery, because that's what this is going to become. And that is the problem with it, is the fact that we need whether it's this or taxes another one or hey, you know, I'm gonna apply for college alone college aid. You need these advisors and books, and you have to be an expert. It's because the more the government does this stuff, the heart is for you to get what it is you want.
Speaker 8: Absolutely right, they build up more of these boulders around the sides. That causes an individual to really ramp up the education to get beyond what's holding them back. And then when we start socializing healthcare, think of how the VA has been just ostracized for the past how many years that that and in a sense, that's a small culture of socialized healthcare. Now you take this broad nationally. The VA has done a good job tackling in pushing veterans out to third party providers so that I'll make an appointment for you because we don't have the throughput through this hospital to doctor Jones over here specialists.
Speaker 5: That's right.
Speaker 8: So, but the VA uses what they call it vincent that's the same as we would call a district. And so the higher revised Code says that I will transport my veterans within the district of the VA hospital. I resided that's fine. I called the Cincinnati VA, what's our district? While we go by vincent. I said, Okay, what's our vincent Michigan, Indiana, and Ohio. So from Claremont County, I have the expectation to transport veterans to Michigan, Indiana and Ohio. If the VA established the appointment to include. Now the VA's transitioning a little bit two morters of excellence. So now this hospital is going to have a set of excellence over this, which now makes it more of a fluid approach. But it also caused more distance and price on me as I'm.
Speaker 1: Free hcause if you if like you're sending that closest Sexor centers was in Minnesota, well can you cover airfare for that? How does that work? Right? Right?
Speaker 5: Right? Yeah, I'm putting a driver on the road.
Speaker 8: For for example, maybe three weeks ago, I personally drove a veteran to Cleveland to the Cleveland clinic because the veteran was that injured. But still it's within my district. It's a veteran that needs the service. The VA established the appointment up there because of the excellence we know of the and so it was a sixteen hour day getting that veteran tow and from that had no other way.
Speaker 5: To get that.
Speaker 1: But I think because you know, you hit on something there. My dad who passed was a Navy veteran and he had leg to have his leg taken off at one point, but he had that done at the Lewis Stokes VA in Cleveland, and that was one of the best places you can do that, and his standard of care was It was incredible as a family member to watch that and be there part of that, and how well they treated him even though he served in the sixties, and how respectful they were and the chain of command, but also the fact that the standard of care was absolutely wonderful. So that's good that we do that wonderful way.
Speaker 5: Absolutely absolutely.
Speaker 8: And then I will say Cincinnati VA, above all is doing a phenomenal job and taking care of veterans right now, and so walking in you're greeted. It's a great standard of care. Veterans are happy to go down to the Cincinnati VA. I think they've done a great job. Whether or not we do that across the country yet, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah to be determined, so but hopefully they can improve those areas. So you can only control what's in our area. And fortunately we have really good coverage. We have great care, and of course with veteran services and all lady accountants Clamont where you are, Steve, we know that there's people out there fighting for you if you're a veteran of family member. So it's not just a healthcare and we often talk about that. How much it's a percentage? Would you say it's healthcare related to what you.
Speaker 5: Guys do well?
Speaker 8: For the first service officers, it is one hundred percent. So if it's not current healthcare of continued care, it's also the extension of the injuries from active duty and receiving care for those so as well as like your father is serving in the sixties, Agent Orange. They denied it for years and then all of a sudden it becomes oh no, it is an initiator of many different causal type of effects. So they're coming back in to say, hey, now this is recognized, I need to apply for this or that. So healthcare is probably eighty percent of what my office does.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then the other twenty mental health and travel all those other things too. But they're there for you. And Steve Belsa is the executive director Clamont. But again, if you're listening to other county Ohio. You do have a Veteran Service Commission there that does these things for you. So you're kind of like the spokesperson for the entire state. Let's put it that way. Absolutely, Yeah, I am. I can no, really, I'm a humble guy.
Speaker 5: I am.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 8: However, I had a veteran come visit me yesterday from Ohio. Had no idea this was in every county and the services we provide are free for that veteran. And there is currently legislation on both the Ohio and the House of Representatives federally to change some of the verbiage over how veterans are recognized and service as well as how these outside entities besides the county Veteran Service officers will do everything for free for the veteran. These other entities want to charge and receive a portion from your benefits coming back at you.
Speaker 5: That's how they're paid. We don't get paid unless you get paid.
Speaker 8: Yeah, but now you're taking thirty percent of that, which is going to meet a medical or my medical bills.
Speaker 1: You gotta watch out. There's all sorts of scams like I had one the other day from and kind of mind computer you're talking about. But you got to watch out. It's like, hey, I know we noticed it. Your I don't know your passports expire. Well we'll take care of that. Well yeah, and it made it look like the fake sealed they put on and may it look like it's a government agent. They're going, I just did this. Watch it so again it's legit. Claremont Kenny Veterans Services. He also he's the executive director. Just reach out to you. You know, you can google it Claremont County Veterans or whatever countie you're in Veterans Services Commission and get what those folkses are great at what they do. And I love the fact that you come in every few weeks and check in and discris veteranstion appreciate it. Thanks buddy, Uh Steve be Well, let's get a time out in It's a Scott Floon show on seven hundred wl.
Speaker 9: Ken.
Speaker 1: We go on this Friday morning. Everybody else took the day off, but Austin. Austin's here as he's always here. He's here tonight actually six to six thirty ahead of you. See basketball and sports stock could be filling in tonight. You can find him weekdays at noon on ESPN fifteen thirty with a sidekick Tony Pike, speaking of college basketball being here Georgia State, I believe tonight tonight tonight? Is that correct, Austin, That's correct.
Speaker 7: The Bearcat's back in action, trying to match Xavier and go two and oh to start the season. I didn't watch Xavier because I only was on last night, but nonetheless they only one by five, and this time of season, I think it's fair to have low expectations for Xavier. It's pretty low. I would say, obviously, the you know, dealing with the nonsense after Sean Miller's departure, and you bring in a new coach kind of late in the process, and you deal with the whole portal thing, and the Big East is a tough conference. It's it's gonna take some time for for Xavier. I don't think. I think a lot of their fans understand that too. It's like, Okay, it's not gonna just happen overnight. But I think, as we all can understand, you should savor every win you get, doesn't matter by how little or how much. Anytime you win, you should be happy. And the Muskies are two and oh. But Lemoyne. Lemoyne and Marist, a couple of New York schools who gave the Mouskies a run.
Speaker 1: I know where Marist is. I had no idea where Lemoine was. Yeah, to look that up.
Speaker 7: What's even funnier is they're in Syracuse, New York. Yeah, and they're the Dolphins. I don't think there's dolphins in Syracuse. They couldn't I check, couldn't take Orange. I know, you should have done something else. You should have been the Lemons, been like Blue or something.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, so yeah, college basketball, we get it. I had to point this out too, because I'm sick for the puck Alexandrovitchkin this week. I'm sick for the puck. Nine hundred goals never been done in NHL history, fifteen hundred games played these fourty years old, fifteen hundred games, nine hundred goals, seven hundred and twenty six assists, sixteen hundred plus points, led the NHL in scoring nine seasons. But this is the I saw this this morning. It blew me away. To show you the level. If he hadn't scored a goal until he turned thirty in the NHL Okay, starting at age thirty, so last ten years he'd still be ninth on the all time active List's amazed. If he didn't score a single goal after he turned thirty, he'd be sixth. That's amazing.
Speaker 7: That is as a truly, truly great player, an iron man, an iron man great player, and a guy who you would look at off the ice and wonder about his habits and how he takes care of him. Donald's exactly. It's amazing that he has had this mixture of longevity and toughness and talent that he's been able to do and obviously score nine hundred the other night, first player to ever do that. That is a huge, huge deal. I mean last year was a huge deal, passing the all time scoring record with Wayne Gretzky and attendance, and then to get to nine hundred, and then on top of that, the goalie tried to steal the puck.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you saw that.
Speaker 7: They tried to stick that number nine hundred inside his pads like nobody would notice.
Speaker 1: Did he respond as to why he did he want the Keith Baker trying to stick at tight movie? Because I love that about hockey. I didn't follow up.
Speaker 7: I feel like, there's probably an inside joke there, but I thought it was funny.
Speaker 1: If you're any other player, any other team, you don't you like, hey, you got nine hundred, tap the stick for the guy. Give you the team that he did it against.
Speaker 7: You hate him? Yeah, I think you should throw it in the stand. So that'd be just fire it, fire it back in the puck bag. Yeah, I mean, if you was it, were they at home? Do you know I that I don't know. So here's my thought process. If I'm the goalie, all right, and I'm at home and a visitor Alex Ovechkin scores nine hundred, I take the puck, I throw it into the stand. So then one of my fans has a chance to profit off of this. They get either money or they get to meet Ov or whatever it is. But make make Ov work for it, make them go. That's pretty cool though. That's definitely going to the whole of the things I think of it. I know, where's the NHL hole name Toronto? Toronto? Okay, beautiful to check that out. Never really thought about that, because.
Speaker 1: All right, so we have the bile it's tell usual, when is the last time, if ever have the Bearcats and the Bengals sure to buy.
Speaker 7: That's a better question for Dan Horde. He would know those things, probably would.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 7: I don't know if I want to say it happened not that long ago, but maybe maybe not.
Speaker 1: Just weird no football local football this weekend. Yeah, very strange. I'm that too. Okay, So trade deadline hits in the fourth the Bengals made one move Logan Wilson. We talked about that last time they did got BJ Finny, which put them over the top, got of the Super Bowl. They normally don't they Here's the thing, normally they didn't do anything. I gotta get from what I hear, they actually tried this time, right, They try to make some most.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, I'm sure they were a little bit more open minded. I don't think the people that run the Bengals are stupid people. I think they understand where this organization is at and where they have deficiencies. And if you remember, going back to March all the way up into this point, anytime the idea of trading someone like Trey Henderson or trading anyone came up, it was reported that the Bengals were looking for young defensive players that could help them this year. So they understand the deficiencies of their roster and they look at the value of draft picks, they look at the value of a great player like Trey Hendrickson, and they say, okay, well we need to supplement our roster by using these things, and that's gonna make our asking price high. And it sounded like asking price was maybe a second round pick. But once Quinn Williams was traded to the Dallas Cowboys, when a first and second round pick came off the board, and the Bengals are like, okay, well, maybe we're asking too little for Trey Hendrickson here, and teams ultimately weren't willing to pony that up. And I think there was internally, I don't know that there was a desire to trade Trey, because as much as I say I don't think they're stupid, I do think at times they're delusional about how close they might be to actually being able to win.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think to your point about asking too much, I mean Colts gave up two first round picks at twenty six twenty seven for Sauce.
Speaker 7: That's a lawful young player under contract and a team friendly contract. So as far as you're concerned, if you're the Colts, worth it. And I love what the Colts owner Carly urs Gordon said to their GM Chris Ballard. She said, do you want to put a band aid on it? Or do you want to put a long term fix at that position? And gave him the choice to go and get a long term fix, which they did with saus Gartner.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I guess too. You know they didn't the short term contracts achievement with Trey any kind of made sense. But also tells me like they think they can win with his team, do you after what I've seen, I don't think they can win with this team.
Speaker 7: I know they can't win with this The defense is not good enough. That's what they're doing, and especially if Trey is out for any period of time, because when he's out off the field, it's it's a much much, much different defense, and it.
Speaker 1: Doesn't guarantee it wins when Oh Burrow comes back. No, you'd playing great.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean we're on the verge now, three straight years without making the playoffs, and one of those had Joe Burrow completely healthy and the other had Burrow completely healthy for a half So I think they also look at it next year and realize they can put the franchise tag on Trey Hendrickson and it's not going to be an outrageous amount of money. It would still be worth having him in their plans if they choose to do that. I'm not entirely convinced they will, to be honest with you, but that it does create options for them. I think they could also look at it and say, Okay, well, Trey has lost a little bit of value because of his age and because of his lack of production this year and because of his injury. If he comes back this season and performs at the level we've seen him in the past, that's going to create more value for him next year and they could be playing the long game.
Speaker 1: Okay, So if not Trey, who whould you tag? Would they tag? I don't think they would tag anybody. I don't think there's anybody worth that. Yeah, and Trey is the only one as well at that point. Could you get another year out of him?
Speaker 7: Yeah you could. And I think a viable option would be to tag him and trade him.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Entirely possible, because if they tag him, it's at twenty seven million dollars. That would be a steal for any team. If he is productive as we've known him to be, you'll there will be a team that will happily pay twenty seven million dollars for traders.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I heard it. I think it's one of our Bengal segments with Rocky and they're marking more talking about just bringing guys in from other practice squads just to see if he could find somebody. Yeah, that sounds like a good idea, but in reality, is is that worth the effort?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would say so.
Speaker 7: I think you need to be constantly challenging the guys that you have on the roster. You should always be looking to improve what we call the bottom of the roster. The Bengals did sign a center, Jacob Bear last week, so that sort of stuff. I mean, obviously the dealing with some injuries on the back end of the offensive line. But you know, I think a perfect example of this is the safety position. I do not understand why Jordan Battle and Geno Stone have gotten every single opportunity. Now, I don't understand why PJ. Jewles hasn't gotten a chance, why Tyson Anderson hasn't gotten a chance, Tyson Anderson is one of your best special teamers and a guy that we know can tackle.
Speaker 1: I think at this point you just bring guys up.
Speaker 7: If you're gonna bench Logan Wilson for the young linebackers, if you're gonna bench Dalton Reisner or anybody else for the young offensive guard in Jalen Rivers, why wouldn't you bench the older safeties for a chance to see with the young guy. Have that that I think is where there's some frustration with the coaching staff, is that there's imbalance on how they're choosing to implement this plan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, it's always been confusing down to pay Corp, hasn't it. I mean, what do you think is go down this week? Right right now? The sense of urgency desperation, I don't know, it depends what you're looking at, like who specifically right, I mean, I think I think the coaches feel a sense of urgency, and I think Al Golden should feel a sense of urgency. But it doesn't matter the players.
Speaker 7: It's it's embarrassing for him. And yeah, I think some of the coaches or I think some of the players should feel that. I mean, they were kind of getting after one another after the Bears loss, and you kind of saw the knitpack nitpicking and going back and forth. But yeah, there should be a sense of urgency because there's a lot of guys that there's spot's not guaranteed on this team next year, and if you keep putting on tape what you put on tape this year, nobody's going to be interesting.
Speaker 1: And a concern too, is when you start getting guys like Tea and Chase Brown and those guys complaining just a little bit. Now, sure, a couple losses, it's going to be in the full full and disaster in that locker room.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, that's that's the direction that they're heading. When you have two sides of the ball, they are going in polar opposite directions. And the offense is putting up thirty nine and forty two points in a game and they can't win. I mean, the offense should be upset because the defense is nothing. Is that they're not doing the little things like the bare minimum of like when you wake up in the morning, you brush your teeth, that's the bare minimum. Yes, the Bengals defense can't do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's the fact that they win. I try to go get some of it gives you a little bit of hope. But again, I think they're delusional in thinking, oh, yeah, this is the weird world, will be okay. Well to pull it off somehow make the playoffs, like I don't know, man, you see him beating the Steelers just again. I just they don't the way.
Speaker 7: Difficult to play in Pittsburgh, and Pittsburgh's coming off a big win over Indianapolis. I'm sure they have. I think they have a little bit another tough game this week. But yeah, no, I said on our show earlier this week, I don't expect the Bengals to win another game.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'll get the whole AFC right now. I don't you know. It's it's such a coin toss in the ANFC overall, right now, who do you see? You can't really rule the Chiefs out. But I don't even know if the Chiefs make the playoffs at this point. I mean, New England's playing pretty well. They seem to be the Cinderella story this season. The AFC. I don't really see that dominant team right now there.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm a big fan of New England and I've been high on them from the beginning of the year. I still think Buffalo just because of their quarterback and you know them, you know, having a chance to have a home playoff game. I think it's gonna be interesting coming down to them in New England. Denver has looked good. I mean, they are the number one seed right now at eight and two, but they're wildly inconsistent on offense. But they have the best pass rush in the NFL and that obviously has an impact, and that has a direct impact on Kansas City because if Kansas City can't win that division, then they have to would have to go on the road and that would be a little bit more difficult for them. So yeah, I think it's it's wide open. Indianapolis kind of got humbled a little bit last week against Pittsburgh, but everybody has been in concert. Everybody has flaws. Nobody is fully buttoned up, which makes the race really interesting.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be interesting stretch because now it's anyone's last year. Is a couple teams like the favorites and wind up going but you know, it just can't roll Casey out there. They're completely eliminated. They will come back in yeah, I mean, they get the benefit of the doubt.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, the reigning AFC champions for the last four years, like they get the benefit of the doay.
Speaker 1: No, but I can't believe we're halfway through the season though. I know it's so fast, it's so fast. Yeah, let's talk a little e FC Cincinnati to get the crew tomorrow. And man, we've seen this movie over and over and over again. It's getting kind of old now. The match on Saturday, the wheels kind of fell off. They held their own for the first thirty minutes or so that Miles Robinson got a yellow card in the thirtieth minute, and then three minutes later Columbus scores and misplayed a little bit, and then Uya Kuba gets a red card, gets tossed or down a man and they get smoked. So one one back to Cincy tomorrow tomorrow.
Speaker 7: Yeah, comedy of errors really that let that game get away from in Columbus. They still have only won one time in Columbus since twenty nineteen, which is pretty hard to fath But I think coming back here, you know, weekend, big moment back up against the wall. F C Cincinnati has a little bit more experience in this regard. There's been a lot of turnover in Columbus, and it goes to show like how strong the backbone of that organization is. That they're right back here in this in this spot. But f C Cincinnati has been here before as well. They've got veteran guys, they've got a good defensive back line is the word I'm looking for, and they've shown the ability to score and especially at home, they're a much better team. So I think f C Cincinnati should be favored. I'm always going to lean towards Pat Noonon because I think he's one of, if not the best coaches in Major League soccer. And it's hard not to think about what would be waiting for them, which would be enter Miami and a team that they've had a ton of success against. It doesn't matter if Messi's on the field or not. F C Cincinnati has had a lot of success against them, and I think they'll be foaming at the mouth to get another shot at Miami as well.
Speaker 1: And you look, I mean, they got their top three guys. You got Miles Robbins, who got these guys back. There's no excuse and not in the first game was like okay, and they were just pounding them, and then finally Dankee scored that goal and it was one nil, but it was a lot closer it should have been. And then it was an absolute blowout. Last week get in Columbus.
Speaker 7: Yeah, curious to see how Pat Noonon adjust because obviously Columbus did a really good job of being ready for that attack in the second game. But I mean it was an all out assault in game one that f C. Cincinnati put on that Columbus defense, and they held for a good good points. Should have given up probably two goals in the first half. Eventually did give up that one to den K. But you know, it's a cat and mouse back and forth between Columbus and and and Cincinnati, so it should be a good one.
Speaker 1: It's always I mean, it's to see it, but you'd rather beat the hell out of them because her corble hell is real. But it's such an awesome contest. Always a Derby, the Derby, Derby, the Derby, Yes, Derby, but said Derby. It's not Derby. It's Derby, right, Yes, yeah, that's what they say, Derby the Derby. We love the English the Derby. Yeah, but it's fine. It's such a good rivalry.
Speaker 7: It is, and you're trying to you're still thinking back to just a couple of years ago in the Eastern Conference finals where Columbus put together that comeback to knock you off and knock you out of MLS Cup. So I'm sure that's on their minds as well. Doubt about it.
Speaker 1: All right, So what time t game to morrow?
Speaker 7: That's a good question. I have not gotten today. Seven o'clock, I believe, So I'm sorry for not knowing that. I've been preparing for tonight's show and my other show. I know it's tomorrow. It's six, six o'clock. Six, That's what I said, six o'clock, six o'clock. Yeah, six o'clock. Because I'm my schedule here for tomorrow, the eighth of November. I've got soup night at Mackenzie's. Don't know my soup night. McKenzie's my daughter. For who's McKenzie my daughter's friend? Who's on her calendar?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 7: I've heard count you have a shared family, I guess, And she's put soup night, so that's been what kind of soup?
Speaker 1: I don't know?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 1: Can you send me the address I might show up? I got. I'm a big super guy crew, and then I got hockey at seven o'clock on Saturday, What do you got a big show today?
Speaker 7: And it's sick for Puck For the Puck. We'll talk more about FC Cincenni and Columbus Tommy g the Voice of the Orange and Blue. At two o'clock, we'll also talk Bengals and some Reds. The Reds have made some news with Charlie Goldsmith. At one o'clock, we make our weekend picks, our Friday pick them, including high school.
Speaker 1: What about?
Speaker 4: What about?
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what you want to talk about? Down and dirty, cold rain? That's right? What a fall from grace? You know what you're gonna get. You're gonna get five across the lips. If you keep that up, big mouth, You're a clown. You're a clown. How often do you do that to his face? I don't see him all that much because he's in his little studio, but I don't mind doing it.
Speaker 7: Right. He was just out there holding court with the sales guys. Oh of course, yeah, she loves to do. Let me tell you say, is that right?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Okay? And they talk about the glory days of nineteen eighties, him and him and Tom Horan talking about sixties fax machines work. Yeah, well come, you can't get a good Fax machine anymore. Oh, anyway, and here it is. That's it right there. So what do you got to Night at six, big mouth? You know what?
Speaker 7: I'm going to dispel a narrative about Joe Burrow and Joe Flacco. There is a narrative out there about these two Bengals quarterbacks that is deeply misguided.
Speaker 1: Oh I love that.
Speaker 7: And the facts, the facts, Sloaney, Yes, disagree with the people.
Speaker 1: They don't. Okay, the people disagree with the fact. Yes, okay, Austin tonight, that's to Night and six prior to Bearcats, that guy, I owe you a SEG talkback for your show today. Please do Phil Dennison over at ESPN fifteen thirty. Sloony on seven hundred w all.
Speaker 5: Them want to be an American?
Speaker 1: Got flown on seven hundred w aw. There's now less of us to love. Obesity rates plummeting simply because we have these GLP one injections O zempic with GOVI monjourno, and you think it's crazy. Now Trump administration announced deals with Novo Nordisk and Eli Lilly is going over the costs of those drugs for many Americans, including people on Medicaid, and it's gonna be a lot cheaper to get healthier. Now you can lose up to thirty pounds. It's like the sweet spot right there, which would help a lot of Americans for sure. Obedially, the rates they're dropping, people are buying new clothes, people buying closes are at a record because you're not fitting into the old stuff or feeling good. So what you need to know about this if you're on the rigin guy, I couldn't afford it before and now because of the deal, now I can and you're gonna get on this stuff. He's doctor Saldre Johnny with the Men's Health Network. He's a pharmacist by trade, the guy to ask about drugs and specifically GLP ones. Doctor Sale, good morning, how are you? Yeah, Good morning, Scott. These are clinically called GLP one agonists, which is a very technical term for a man. This stuff works really really well, So let's jump into it. How exactly does this particular class of drugs work that are brought by two companies. There's I think four of them. And more are probably going to join the marketplace anytime soon. But ozempic and Manjaro are the two big competing ones. How do they work in your body?
Speaker 4: What do they do ammigulity as well? Well? As you said, they suppress appetite, but they also have other activities, and we're just learning more and more and more about just what the long and the broad implications of these medications are on overall body physiology. So they do decrease the amount of clebohydrates that are absorbed. They make you feel fuller faster. They also decrease gas protecting so you feel for for longer and that helps you suppress appetite. We're also finding that these medicines and it's not quite well understood. That may be a surprise to some in your audience, but there are still many things about many commonly used medicines that we're still learning about, and that's just the science of medication. They also do things, For example, they help protect the kidneys from renal failure, chronic kiding disease, and there's other agents that we all see on TDB advertised for menagement, chronic incites. They're in the same sort of class of family. We're also finding secondary effects of these medications, maybe in fat deposition or how fat is redistributed throughout the body. So there are a lot of things that we're learning. I do want to just spell one thing. There isn't a brand new medications. These STLP and GOP medications have been used in the management diabetes type two diabetes, Doban said, it will used to be called for many, many, many years. So what we're actually doing now is where and we saw weight loss in diabetic patients and it was an absolutely fantastically important parameter that we used to encourage patients to stay on their medications because the patients felt better, lost weight, looked better, had more energy. And it wasn't just the management to their googos, it was also the weight loss just exploiting this well well known side effect of the medication the manager. A rather terrible problem in the American public and involve countries ro all over the world is obesity.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Another what you and your professional called off label using it's intended for one thing and they find out that the side effects or there's added benefit for something else and it goes in an entirely different direction. And that is the I guess the miracle of modern medicine and pharmaceuticals for sure. And so we see these drugs mimic the action of a hormone and you produce more insulin and your digestive system, you eat less and therefore the weight starts to come off too. Originally prescribed for diabetes, as you just said too. One of the issues though, is that we may be over medicalizing this is what you call this, that that structurally people are just writing scripts or this and it may not be indicated for that particular disease. Who should be on it, who shouldn't be on it?
Speaker 4: Well, that's that's a huge judgment called. Certainly, I think we can all agree that obesity and there's a strict medical definition of ABC. That's just staatee of time for many, many decades, with body weights over thirty two, body masks over thirty two, those individuals should be on this medication and it can really make a huge difference in every aspect of their life. Then you have individuals who are overweight. Probably twenty to thirty percent of those individuals who are need to medication now are just playing overweight. That's a judgment call. When having and carrying too much weight for a long periods of times, affecting gait, joints, ability to enjoy life, breathing, other blood pressure, other metabolic functions. Then there is an important considerations they can do the fact that you know sure bringing down the weight using medication may be an appropriate thing to do. In a third category are the ones I call sort of the vanity set, where use it to lose maybe five pounds so you can look a little better in your swimsuit, or maybe you're going out and you're getting ready for prom or wedding or some other social event and you want to lose a little bit of weight. I think that that is probably not a particularly good use of the medication, regardless of whether there is a supply issue or not. You did bring up a supply issue earlier on, and I think that that's going to correct over the next two years. Literally one of the main players in this field, with Majarro and other products following, is just invested five billion with a big dollars in new plants to help develop manufacturing techniques, and that will always bring down the costs of the medication over the next several years. So I think supply is not really the issue. He issue was the ethics of how to better manage obesity.
Speaker 1: Doctor Saladeer Johnny for the Men's Health Network is a doctor pharmacy, and we're talking about the Trump administration now opening the floodgates for GLP ones. That's the weight loss rug, the manjuros, those kind of drugs will go vian ozempic to help people whose weight and now it's going to be available on Medicare, Medicaid and people are going to be able to drop up to about thirty pounds to what this is injectable, right, and so it's like anything, you know, when this first came out on the scene a few years ago, it was very expensive, like one thousand dollars a month. And now we have pills developed, we have online pharmacies that are dispensing this as well, and now that the government's evolve, we're going to see the price drop even more because at one time this was really really cost for I like, like any new technology.
Speaker 4: Yes that is true. Well I don't know if people are paying that, but someone is paying now your house care plan, which is why I think, you know, the ethics of managing obesity is clear where you have those people with huge body mass indexes. But there isn't actually a pill. Just one quick point, get there is an oral form with all the out there, it works. It works quite well for lots and lots of folks. It's probably not the most effective or efficacious, but it certainly works for many many people. And there are, as you said correctly, several oral agents. The problem is that the manufacturing techniques to make this medication. Because it's a protein, it's a pep gide, it's something that's not generally absorbable from the gastro intestinal system. You have to do all sorts of pharmaceutical tricks to make it absorbable into the system. Because there are some folks who still are needle averse. There are other things to consider about this. To Scott, I think we have seen every generation has their quote unquote mirror drug. We've seen it with oral contraception, as we've seen it with cholesterol medications. We've seen it with antidepressants. We've seen it with fillers for wrinkles, you know, for cosmetic purposes. We've seen it over and over and over again. But they all play out to be have one underlying precept that makes for good clinical care, which is you just can't take the drug, you probably have to change some of the things in your life to make that drug really work. The first lesson I learned in plumacology way back when in the sixties is that drugs rarely can do anything that the body can't do itself, and the body giesel. So so what we're seeing also is the downside of these medications, where you have an over reliance on a technology to do something that essentially requires you as a person to do, which has changed your lifestyle, your nutrition, your exercise habits so that you have it along and what we're seeing, along with some of the other not particularly dangerous side effects, and there are some dangerous side effects. What we're seeing also that people who go off these medications every year are gaining back the weight to become very very frustrated. They have to go back into all the clothes that they put on the side, uh have and they're very frustrated and in some cases, uh in some cases, and of course that the weight cane is even more because the eating habits have evolved. So I think you know, as with most medications for diabetes or high blood pressure, or you know cholesterol, you have to change and get into a more holistic management of your own personal care.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now that makes sense. But I also think there's a stigma. I think a lot of people see this as cheating. Well, you know, it's you, you're taking a hard way out, and so there's a stigma. I think with even being on the drug. You want to inject yourself with this crap, and and what the long term effects and oh my god, why don't you just quit eating? You know, that's true in a lot of cases. I think if you're looking to lose you know, five or ten pounds, and who isn't it's more of a vanity thing. But there are people who are as you know, clinically obese that have tried a lifetime of diets and fads and sticking with it, and then you know, there's only so long you can restrict calories and exercise, and you know, the needle doesn't move that much. And I know people in my family, for example, same thing. It's like they really eat small portions and still can't manage to lose the weight, especially women after childbirth, because your body changes. As a physiology thing going on there, This seems to be a drug to help them get where they want to be, and it's better for your body and your mind and your soul. And so therefore, I think for folks like that who have tried everything and it's just not working and have restricted their calories with very to little effect, this is a godsend for them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you bring up a very important point which weighs into this whole matter of the ethics of how you manage obesity or.
Speaker 5: Just overweight conditions.
Speaker 4: As we learn more and more and more about the condition, everything points to is that in many individuals, not just a small percentage of individuals, but many individuals who have had higher than average or higher than appropriate weight levels for the majority of their lives. Since there we're in their teens, it's physiologic, not just a lazy individual's bad habits. That there's a physiological reason why these things happen. We see that in other parts of medicine there is physiologically induced or hereditarily induced hypercholesterolmia. That's not a large population, but it exists. We see it. Certainly, diabetes is an inborn error of metabolism that's physiologically inherited. You just can't beat it. It's there, it's what it is. You have to deal with it. We see it in high blood pressure, we see it in hormone levelsroid levels. So there are many, many areas in natient care where we see the fact that it's not just allowsy lifestyle or a poor lifestylewer poor choices. There are actual physiological and psychological reasons why this happens. And in some cases it's also because of what we call food deserts. Access to good, nutritious food is limited for various reasons, economically or sociologically, So there are there As with most things, it's not a simple acid. So to deny those individuals management of weight with all of the benefits in terms of movement disorders, homstritis, lifestyle, encouragement of exercise, to deny them the management of those inborn errors of metabolism if you will, because you have a mindset that is, because you're lazy. I think it's inappropriate and hopefully we'll become out moted.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no matter how hard you try, it's impossible. It see, it is a weakness, and just well restrict your calori as well. If your metabolism's broken, I mean, you wouldn't do that too. I don't know, like a cancer patient or somebody in a wheelchair, but we do it to obese people all the time. What are the long term consequences that we think? This has been prescribed a long time, as you said, for diabetics, and now we're seeing a use off label for obesity. But the concern is adverse side effects. I know self harm was an issue here as well. But what are we seeing and what do you think is going to happen over the long term for long term passions, especially now with Trump working a deal out to lower the prices and get it on medicare.
Speaker 4: Well, that is a huge one hundred and fifty billion dollar question.
Speaker 5: Yes it is.
Speaker 1: You've got the answers. You got all the answers.
Speaker 4: Well, my crystal ball was a little foggy today, but on this but I do think one thing that I've learned over the decades of doing this is that there's something you're going to get your specially or October surprised when you see the use of medication being going through these huge numbers and huge percentage of populations, things that you just didn't expect. You're going to see it because that one half of one percent of the side effect that you didn't see in fifty thousand or five hundred thousand or five million people is going to show up when you go into you know, five billion people, which is possible. So I don't know what the FUSHA holds. What we're seeing now are other sorts of things. Some of them are dangerous, such as paralytic problems with the guestwer intestinal system is severe cramping, terrible nausea, on remitting nausea, problems with kidneys, and the development of other sort of pancreatic sort of problems. We already know that they can't have certain adverse effects, and individuals who have a history of a familial family history of thyroid type cancers and diseases. We're also seeing shifts in how body fat is distributed, and it's the so called ozembic face. You know that the tag that particular drug is a radium where the fat is redistributed in ways that make for an odd looking or a change in facial contours that's manageable. We're also seeing some people are worried about loss of muscle mass, which is not necessarily a good thing, which is why, as you mentioned earlier on food companies to respond to the market changes. They're coming up with products that have higher concentrations of protein to help address some of the skeletal muscle losses that we're seeing with the medications. Beyond that, though, these are relatively safe medications, and that's a long list, so you know, I don't mean to be trivial about it, but these are relatively safe medications. But we just don't know what happens when you put it in five billion people for long periods of time. We'll have to see. And that's the that's the art and the science of medicine y monitoring these things over a long period of time and making important decisions to change how you do things. Will you learn more?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll just come out of another drug to fix whatever this causes. And so it goes Uh Doctor Salvator geor Johnny doctor Pharmacy, the Men's Health Network, thanks again so much for the time of the insight. Always appreciate your stuff.
Speaker 4: My pleasure.
Speaker 1: Ye out that the Trump adminstration struck a deal with the manufacturers. We see the price drop even more. It's gonna be more accessible, more people on it than Medicare is involved, so it's even more and more people, and we're gonna have a flood of thinner people. But you wonder long term effects and how this is going to change things always happens right the pebble and the pond thing. It's those ripples way out near the edges of the pond as opposed to the epicenter of it. You always see that later on. Who knows we'll find out, but there you go. That's happening today, News Today, News here right now on seven hundred WOLW. And when we return to the show, it's Brocanny. Allie's out. Today's taking a early Thanksgiving with the fam out on the East coast. So she has a very interesting role in Hollywood. If you like the sex scenes in movies, film and shows. She is behind all that stuff. What that's her job to get people to hook up on camera. Her name is Brocanney. Don't the show next on this Friday morning, Scot's loan seven hundred WLWT Cincinnati plum Stretch here with Sloani on seven hundred w well w Alli off day. Kind of last one's position. She's got like a pickle ball because she does the American Pickleball Tour, whatever that is. Professional, or maybe it's something bourbon. She has a cool job. Bourbon and pickleball. That's a cool job, he thinks. Man, I got a cool sloona. You got a great job. You sit there and talk for three hours. It's a pretty good job. I'll be honest with you. But there are jobs out there. You look over your shoulder, go, well, that seems like a cool job. Here's one for you. Intimacy coordinator. What do you think that is? Intimacy coordinator. So, if you've ever a movie or shell whatever it is, or even theater for that matter, and you wonder how they do the sex scenes, this is the lady who orchestrates and choreographs the sex scenes. An intimacy coordinator. Name is Brook Haney Broke. Welcome to show.
Speaker 5: How are you?
Speaker 9: I'm good? Thanks so much for having me, Scott.
Speaker 1: Yeah, appreciate it. How in the hell do you when you're selling this to your folks and go, here's what I want to do with my life to be able to have sex and movies. What about that?
Speaker 5: Mom and dad?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 9: Yeah, you know, depending on your parents, they are either thrilled for you or they're really not. But I try and emphasize my parents are actually incredibly conservative. I try to empathize with them the safety part of the job that I'm helping actors have space to articulate their boundaries and consent so that folks aren't doing anything they don't want to do.
Speaker 5: Interesting.
Speaker 9: And then with my friends I talk about the choreography.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm sure that it's NonStop questions a brook about this, that and the other thing. I know, it's like, well what about this person? Did you do this? And how does this work? And it really is fascinating. And there's how many intimacy coordinators are there in Hollywood?
Speaker 9: You know, that's a good question, And I'm not entirely sure. There's a little less than one hundred on the SAG after a registry, but there are plenty of qualified folks that aren't working on the SAG registry. But I would guess maybe less than three hundred that are like working regularly, but I could be wrong.
Speaker 1: That's a cool job. So you know, we see this and go, oh wow, they're gonna they're gonna have some I you know, as a guy, go wow, I may see boobs. This is pretty good. You know, A fourteen year old kid or girls. I'm sure the opposite. But I guess what you do is if I looked at it from a scientific standpoint as an art I guess you're just you're you're like a sexual choreographer or is that diminishing what you do?
Speaker 9: No, that is not. That is a very very accurate description of it. It's about making something fake look real on camera, and it's you know, for the actors and crew and everyone, it's sometimes the least sexy moments of acting because it's very technical, but hopefully it looks if the goal is for it to look sexy, hopefully it looks really sexy.
Speaker 1: On screen, right right, Yeah. And it's such a fascinating description too, because is it like a I don't like a fight scene or an action scene and everything had, you know, with a fight scene or stuff blowing up in a Tom Cruise movie. You're talking about, well, pyrotechnics and people can get hurt, blind death, that kind of stuff. Nobody's really dying having fake sex on camera, but still there's got to be some sort of you block everything out, don't you.
Speaker 9: That's actually a really great comparison. I have a book that I just came out called The Intimacy Coordinator's guide book Specialties for Stage and Screen, and one of the first chapters is several fight directors talking about the difference between fight and intimacy and the similarities. And these are folks that have they do both, try remos moderate the discussion, and it's actually very very similar similar in that you have to choreographic moment by moment. You have to make sure you know, nothing actually goes where it's not supposed to. You know, you don't want to to actually hit a face very often, so I.
Speaker 1: Kind of make it on screen and there's grabbing and groping and all that other stuff. It's like it's all laid out. Every move is is dictated like a dancer.
Speaker 9: The most are yeah, you know, I'll ask an actor what their boundaries are, okay, and then we'll work within those boundaries. And some actors want every single moment choreographed to the tee, like beat by beat, and some actors would more like an outline, like we're going to go from here to here to hear and these are the places that are on limits. But let's talk about the story and how we tell the story in a way that's compelling. And they want a little more freedom. But yeah, for the most part, it is moment by moment blocked out so that it tells that story interesting.
Speaker 1: Brooke Haney is a intimacy coordinator. She's the person on a movie set or in theater. You do this theater too, I suppose, or film who coordinates the sex scenes, much like a fight scene or a action scene. It's all choreographed, all right. The biggest question I'm sure you get all the time is, all right, so you guy and a girl are hooking up and fake hooking up here, what do you do about the obvious thing that guys have that women don't. What do you do about the junk? If you know, if the if little all of us and the twins come out to say, hi, how do you control that? Do you tape it down? What goes on there? What goes on down there?
Speaker 9: You know? I get that question actually a lot from actors in their private meetings. What happens if this happens?
Speaker 1: What happened?
Speaker 9: And I tell them, you know, hey, just tell me you're feeling a little cold, and then I'll say, oh, yeah, it is Jillian. Here, let's do some jumping jack to warm ourselves up. And that just sends the blood somewhere else and then we're good to go.
Speaker 1: So I thought there'd be some sort of prosthetic or device, or there'd be like some sort of harness or rigging going on there that they bring you know, those guys into to strap stuff down. Not at all, got it?
Speaker 9: Well, I mean all of those things exist also, but not necessarily specifically for that purpose. If we have a prosthetic, that's because we're going to actually see genitalia and either the actor doesn't want to use theirs or if it's erect, for an example, we can't show an actual erect giness on Can I say that on radio? I did on screen? So it has to be a prosthetic. Yeah, and then there are barriers that go between actors if we're simulating sex, so and that is meant to reduce sensation and prevent the exchange of fluids. But but yeah, that's only if we're simulating sex. If it's just like a bunch of making out which someone could get aroused from, there wouldn't necessarily be anything taping anything down.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, I mean both parties know that you're a professional in this regard to as good as it looks, You're still doing a job and you may not be into that person, but it's what the job require. So I totally understand that. I think we tend to probably look at that more peering interests. We're like, it's a lot more sexy than it is, and it's probably with the lights and cameras around and a bunch of people like yourself barking at them, probably not sexy at all.
Speaker 9: I mean, that's exactly what I was about to say, is no one, it's very rare to get super aroused when there's a bunch of people looking at you with microphones in your face, and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're little inches away from what it is you're portraying. It's like, well, that's nothing's going on here. So in that regard, is the couples, either heterosexual or homosexual, are in the act of doing this, and you've got cameras and lighting and all sorts of people behind the scenes that you don't see on camera. Obviously, they are not feeling intimate, and I'm sure how do you are There lines that are drawn here though too when it comes to that, I mean, have you ever heard of a story where people actually have real sex on camera and said, you know, I'm fine with it. I wanted to get this right and I want to be authentic, and therefore let's just have sex. Is that Has that ever happen?
Speaker 9: You know what? Probably I don't know of an example, but that's not okay. In a sag after film, we're literally not allowed to do that. And one of the things I would say is, first of all, getting it right and making it look right doesn't necessarily mean really doing it. There are lots of things that don't look good on camera that you that might feel really good. Often I'm telling actors like, I know, I know you think it doesn't look right, but I promise it looks right on camera. Yeah, So it really is about the saking it part of.
Speaker 1: It broke Katie's on the show. Brook is a intimacy coordinator in Hollywood, and so she is the person in charge of choreographing these sex scenes. And one of the cool jobs, probably one of the coolest jobs in the world, is a job actually Brooke cooler than it sounds, and it actually is.
Speaker 9: It is literally the coolest job in the whole world. So lucky to have it.
Speaker 1: I was kind of hoping you'd say that, no, it sucks. I want to go work at fast food. That's what I wanted to. No one's ever said that, Yeah, it's it's it's it's such an interesting thing because we all see it and we all think of that when we're watching the movies or shows or whatever going how do they how are they actually doing this? I remember reading an interview I think it was with Marco Robbie, who at the time was starting in Wolf of Wall Street, was a very sexually based movie, and she is just a gorgeous woman and she had a problem is beautiful? Its just having self awareness and self esteem issues thinking she wasn't attractive enough to be naked on camera. That I think was its Corsezy that did the movie. I forget who did the movie, but literally had to hold her hand and talk her through those scenes because she felt so exposed and not worthy of that kind of attention on how she looked that process behind the scene. Is it tougher for men or women? And how much coaching is involved in getting something to do something that's outside of their comfort zone like that?
Speaker 9: Yeah, you know, there are a lot of times that actors want to do a thing but don't feel comfortable, Like there's a misconception that my job is to make them feel comfortable. It's really not. It's to make them feel empowered to consent. But then once they have consented, if they need support in a way. It might be that they need to see the angle on the monitor to see how they look, or it might be that they need me to come tell them after each take like it looks really compelling, and you know that isn't. I don't think it's gender specific. I think there is so much pressure in our culture to look a certain way, to be a certain way, to be beautiful enough, sexy enough, all of those things, and it can be a really overwhelming, vulnerable thing, and then you're doing it at work. So I think it's really admirable of Margo Floor being public about that because it really is an uncomfortable thing that folks go through.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you would think that, And I think it's just our persvasive our culture is with this kind of stuff. Is that if someone looks like Margot Robbie and she has some self consciousness elements as to her being naked in a film, I think that's a sad indictment of society. Quite honestly, what about actors, the other extreme overweight actors. You know, I'm sure there's some over here I don't want to take their shirt off, let alone show maybe some private parts or close to it anyway. And yet I'm sure there's other actors out there have no problems showing like a guy showing his ass. So it's up to the actor, obviously, and what they want to do. And is your job convincing them that it's going to be okay or you just kind of cater to their whims and their desires.
Speaker 9: I mean, I'm really glad you bring up fat actor because I think it's actually a misconception that everyone has the same issues with their body. There's a chapter in the book on working with fat Actors that I wrote with Katie Blouse, and one of the things we talked about is not assuming someone's relationship to their body. So one of the things we do is you just never comment on someone's body, positive or negative. So if I had been working with Margaret Robbie and she's having feelings about how her body looks, that's not the thing I'm going to talk to her about. I'm going to talk to her about her work. It's like, Ooh, that scene looked really good. I think the more diversity of body type we can get on camera, clothes or unclothed, the better it is for our culture, because bodies are beautiful, however they look. We've just decided to label things in certain ways. But I don't know I can find beauty in everything. I really can't.
Speaker 1: You're much better person than I am, a Brook Katy because I shower with my clothes on. I don't want to see myself at all even think of that. So Brooke, as far as you know, this is the more serious element here too, because everyone has a story, right, and there's a people who have survived sexual violence and in predatory behavior, probably in Hollywood. I mean, you know, look at the stories that have come out with Harvey Weinstein, et cetera, et cetera. Does that often pop up in the course of your.
Speaker 9: Work, Yeah, it does. I mean. Part of the reason that studios are now willing to pay for intimacy coordinators is because of the Me too movement, and as a result, people are more comfortable I think saying like oh, hey, I'm a little nervous about this thing that might trigger me, or this job is going to be more difficult. There's a few chapters in the book about I write one on working on scenes of trauma, and in the North of writes on working on scenes of sexual assault. And you do need to have extra precautions in place for those scenes. Whether someone's experienced sexual assault or not. I mean, you don't know who on crewe have a history with what you're dealing with, so there are things we do to be extra sensitive in those scenes. Because also an actor's body, for example, if you put a body in a position, even if the actor's mind is like, this is stake, this is totally fake. You're putting their body in that position of fear or terror and the body doesn't know you're pretending, gotcha. So you have to put things in place to help protect the actors' mental health.
Speaker 1: It's fascinating, Brook Haney. What works have you done. I saved this for the end because I didn't want to, you know, kind of taint the interview at it, but that we might be familiar with some of the stuff that you've coordinated.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I've worked on Harlem on Amazon's Time East New York on CBS Elsbeth, which is playing right now. On ACBS. I'm working on Mayor of Kingstown. The Best Man the Final Chapters was a really fun project that I worked on with Aya Dunn, who's actually coming to Cincinnati. She wrote the chapter on Black American intimacy in the book, and she's coming to Cincinnati to work on Lauren Benderson's new play at Cincinnati Shakes early next year. So if you want to see a really good intimacy coordinator's work, check that out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you look at it it works like a theater and film and have a new appreciation for what it is you do too. You mentioned Mayor Kingstown one of my favorite all time jams. I think that Jeremy Runner was fantastic in that dark episode. So I'm gonna have to rewalk Man the next season watch it again to look for your work there too as well. So Brooke Henney the Intimacy Coordinator's Guidebook, especially for stage and screen, that is a back of the room kind of thing. I don't know if that's just generally reading for someone who's not in the trade. Would that be something that someone to go, I'm interested in this topic, or is it just simply two back a house or.
Speaker 9: That it's I would say the primary audiences for sure, back of house people doing the work, but I also include interviews with actors and directors who've worked with Intimacy Court. So I think if you're a real film buff, it might be as your alley.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, cool. I think that's really neat and it's one of those jobs that's hitten in plain view, if you'll Brook Haney, thanks so much for coming on the show. I enjoyed it. I always love learning about cool stuff like this that you would that no one ever talks about. But I'm glad you did.
Speaker 9: Thanks so much for having me, Scott. I hope you have a great day.
Speaker 1: Thanks so much, and enjoy your weekend. She pinched hitting for ally this morning. All I take a day off to do her cool job, which is pickleball slash bourbon slash god. I don't want to know, La la, la la. I don't know what she's doing weekends about here for me, hopefully soon for you and five o'clock whatever time it is when you quit, can't come soon enough. I know, as we had not the best weekend otherwise, but you still you got a couple of days go and enjoy it. No Bengals this weekend, No Bearcats this weekend, a football free weekend. Perhaps do something fun. Anyway back Monday morning, Scott's Loan, home of the best Bengals coverage seven hundred WI since net