Speaker 1: Yeah, return to Dusk will be at the film Bore tomorrow night with Mammoth and Miles Kennedy.
Speaker 2: Please welcome return to dust.
Speaker 1: Hi boys, Hello, how are we today?
Speaker 3: Good?
Speaker 4: We just played a show last night in Charlotte, rolling in this morning, bright and early.
Speaker 2: So can I ask you this? Can I ask you this?
Speaker 1: At some point you guys were like, sweet, Monday is an off day on the tour.
Speaker 2: This is great, this is great. We'll go in, we'll go do radio.
Speaker 3: I already know, man, and it'll be great.
Speaker 1: At what point were you guys like, oh, crap, we had an off day.
Speaker 2: We could have slept all day.
Speaker 1: I think whost last night last night?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a day to day kind of thing on tour, and then you only realized the ramifications of of the next day the day previous.
Speaker 2: So who who drove last night?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 4: I think it was a mixture of London and stuff, mostly stuff or tour men in.
Speaker 2: Right, Okay, all right? Yeah? So now what would a normal off day from the tour be?
Speaker 4: Usually just a drive day and you get into the next city at like, I don't know, five, and then you have the rest of the evening to just kind of relax a little bit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now are you guys, would you typically go run around a city and go sight seeing or just touring not allow for that.
Speaker 3: Sometimes if you have enough time.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it really really depends on the on the off day, like how much time you have, how much distance between the last city and stuff. Yeah, but I like to even on like show days, I just want to like walk around the city and just like grab a coffee or something.
Speaker 2: Right, And I did listen.
Speaker 1: I know you guys have been through here, you know, at number of times and then through the area number of times. But I would still think, like just getting out and doing stuff would I guess, be fun as opposed to just I don't know, just sitting backstage and hang it out.
Speaker 2: That also sounds like it could be fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Absolutely, we tried to.
Speaker 2: But I feel like you guys are going pretty hard right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this tour in particular is very like back to back to back to back. But some tours are a lot more lax than others on the amounts of like days off and stuff. Like we did a run with Breaking Benjamin in three days Grace and there were a lot of off days on it, and there's a lot of room. They'll just like explore the city or just like have a really lax off day something like that.
Speaker 2: So why is this one?
Speaker 1: So this one is obviously with Mammoth and with with Miles Kennedy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, why is this one? Why is this one that much more jammed in than like when with Breaking Benjamin.
Speaker 3: So tours are just routed differently.
Speaker 5: I mean like they're just it's a different production, you know, playing different sized rooms.
Speaker 3: It's different bands.
Speaker 5: It's like some bands just like to work a lot harder or like to get some more stuff in, and we're totally cool with it. We're just we're along for the ride.
Speaker 1: So you don't get any input. You don't get to go like hey, wolf you know, it would be kind of no. I'll tell you what the Breaking Benjamin guys do. They like stretch it out a little bit and soak it all in and then when we're just cranking and cranking and it'll.
Speaker 2: Go Like I was looking at the schedule, you guys go hard for a while.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I felt like we just did. We just went hard for a while.
Speaker 5: We just did like one thousand miles fifteen miles across the country in like three days or something like that.
Speaker 4: It was, Oh, we've been touring so much this year, which super grateful for. We've probably played like god, probably like one hundred and fifty shows probably more this year. Right, So yeah, we've definitely been going at it.
Speaker 1: But you know what, like for the and we'll we'll we'll get back to this tour in a second. But like if you go back and go, you've done that many shows this year.
Speaker 2: Which is great. I hear you.
Speaker 1: When did when did touring earn it? Like in real earnest start? How far back do we go?
Speaker 4: Last summer, our very first tour was with Chevelle, Right, awesome, guys, that was a really great tour. And yeah, we we were just all of us were just kind of working day jobs and until we could figure out how to make touring the you know, the full thing, and that tour kind of kicked it off.
Speaker 3: It was honestly, we had two we had two lined up.
Speaker 4: It was one with Chevelle and one with seven Dust, And I feel like that really kicked down the door and we just started basically touring NonStop for probably the next year and a half.
Speaker 3: I guess yeah, because there was last summer.
Speaker 1: So but and I mean this in a nice way. We've only been on the road like touring. Like obviously you guys have played shows and stuff like that, but actually going out on the road and touring and really getting to expose your music has only been a year and a half. Yeah, And it's not like it's not like you've played with any slouches. It's I mean they've all been big bands and big tours everything from whether it's Billy Corgan to like you said, Chevelle or going out with with seven Dust and breaking Benjamin. Like in a year and a half, that ain't bad at all, Like that's really really like no, no, but you know what I mean, Like I don't feel like that's that's normal, Like when you talk to other bands that have that, there's no way that's a normal trajectory.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, we definitely had a kind of abnormal situation. I feel like we, uh, you know, we started just Graham and I whenever we moved out to Los Angeles like six years ago, and we just spent.
Speaker 1: Don't blow that story yet, because I'm obsessed with that story.
Speaker 2: Actually I'm more.
Speaker 1: Obsessed with Seb's story, okay than your story. But we'll get that we'll get there.
Speaker 5: That's typical. That's typical. The people love seb Yeah, I'm sorry. Do we want to get there?
Speaker 3: Editor?
Speaker 2: No, not yet yet? No, no, but just just how did it get to? How?
Speaker 1: How does Chevelle be the first band that you end up going And like you said, it was either going to be Chevelle or seven Dust, which is great, So.
Speaker 5: You see, I was just getting there, Like I guess, we spent a lot of our time just writing our songs and just like building up the thing that is the band before we took our like our first dive into touring or like really putting ourselves out there. And I think it just set ourselves up really well to like immediately be discovered by some bigger bands and and just people that really believe in our music and want to.
Speaker 3: Like help support what we do.
Speaker 5: So Clint Lowry from seven Dust is actually the first person to reach out to us candidly from us just releasing a song and was like, hey, I want to bring you guys out on the next tour that we're having.
Speaker 2: And would you say he reaches out? How does he reach out on Instagram? Seriously?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So that's how easy this job is.
Speaker 3: At the end of the day.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's like people think that, like there's people at the top just like b bro blah blah blah.
Speaker 3: You know, get this band with this band, this band with this band.
Speaker 5: But it's like you gotta they just got to be fans of each other at the end of the day.
Speaker 3: It's like sometimes it is just that easy.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so did Wolf He just reach out to you on Instagram and be like, hey, let's go.
Speaker 5: So it's it's a little bit. I guess our situation is a little bit different.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: We do have a team. We do have a manager and a label and.
Speaker 5: Stuff like that, so we do get a little bit of help in that sense just connecting with the other teams. Yeah, we have agents as well, so it's a little bit more professional now. But back when we were unsigned and we didn't have a manager or anything like that, it was like, how else are they going to get in contact with us besides just hit us up us on Instagram and.
Speaker 2: Here we go.
Speaker 1: What is the what is the the So so like this I was gonna say, does word of mouth also help? Oh? I'm sure like word comes out where they're like, hey, you know number one these guys are good, which is the starting point for all of it. Is if the music isn't good and the shows aren't good, you don't end up going anywhere. So I mean that that is the credit right up front is And Clint doesn't dm you if he hears the song goes this.
Speaker 2: Thing sounds like garbage.
Speaker 1: So none of that happens anyway if there's not if there's not talent there, whether it's in the music or in the stage show. But then I would also assume that you guys aren't Maybe I'm wrong. You'll tell me big pains in the asses on the road, or hard to deal with, or there's always some fight going on backstage.
Speaker 3: No, we're always tussling.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you're always getting into it with each other and with the band backstage.
Speaker 1: Well, when you're throwing around tussling, it sounds like But does does word of mouth help on stuff like that?
Speaker 3: For sure? Absolutely? Definitely your reputations everything, Yeah, I think this.
Speaker 4: I mean, the music world is very small and rock is even smaller, right, so you know, I feel like word of mouth is almost the most important thing, you know. I feel like that's just true in general for all walks of life. You know, just just just can I cuss?
Speaker 3: No, be an a hole?
Speaker 2: You know, that's totally fine, that's totally fine.
Speaker 1: If it starts with an EF for a c got it, generally stay away. Yeah, yeah, yeah, A hole is fine, not just saying the a whole part, not the actual word.
Speaker 2: You're fine, You're fine, No, you're good, You're.
Speaker 3: Good anyway, Yeah, just don't be an a hole? And uh, and that will take you a long way.
Speaker 2: The what was the what was the point of getting signed?
Speaker 1: Like what not? Not what's the point of it? But at what point did that happen?
Speaker 5: Right before we started touring? It was just kind of a lot of things just lined up at the same time. We played our first big festival and and we got to meet with Danny Wimmer, which was the owner of all the festivals, and he really dug our music.
Speaker 3: He wanted to manage us, and I think just.
Speaker 5: A lot of people got interested at the same time in the band and was like really really really excited about it. And that's when Jason Flumm from Lava Records hurt us and was like, I want to sign these guys.
Speaker 2: That's pretty good. Now I only know it's funny.
Speaker 1: I only know Whimmer from the festival side of things, but isn't he He's all like, welcome to Rockville. Yeah, great festival. Yeah so yeah, and you doesn't he also do Bourbon and Beyond? Yes, yeah, do that one? The I want to go to that one is the festival because I know that during the summer, you guys hit a bunch of those.
Speaker 2: Is the festival seem fun?
Speaker 3: Yeaheah awesome?
Speaker 4: Especially I feel like, especially like the Wimmer festivals just because he he really puts a large emphasis on like the just like artists diminities and like making everyone like super comfortable and.
Speaker 3: Just and the way everything's run, it's just so smooth.
Speaker 4: All the crew it's just amazing to work with and it's just a super smooth experience, not only for like the fan. I'm like totally you know, glazing the festival right now, but it's it is really great festivals.
Speaker 3: So yeah, he runs it for the fans for sure.
Speaker 5: We've played a lot of other festivals and he really I feel like he does it the best.
Speaker 1: The is there is there a benefit when you've only been doing this out on the road for a year and a half. Is there a benefit to doing that, or would you rather grind away night after night after night, which you're gonna do anyway, but would you rather I don't know which show would be more important, but is one is?
Speaker 2: Does one mean more to you?
Speaker 8: Guys?
Speaker 3: It's hard to more important, so you go.
Speaker 6: I wouldn't say one's more important, but I think that once they both have their different uh.
Speaker 2: Like characters.
Speaker 6: I think like when you open up for a band, that's like all everyone's there to see the opening band or the band opening for Yeah, right, the headliner, the headline, No one cares about you. But at a festival, it's like everyone there is kind of a rock fan and there's more energy to there to have a good time there to have a good time. So they have their different traits.
Speaker 1: Because I know, so next year, you guys are doing a bunch of well next year you're going out of the country for the first time. They are going to play a bunch of festivals. But is there also a tour wrapped around in Europe.
Speaker 3: Working on it. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean we're not going to be there for a whole month and just play four festivals, so we'll stay busy the entire time, just we'll announce some more stuff.
Speaker 3: Actually nine festivals.
Speaker 5: Sorry, actually we only have We only have announced like six of them right now.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, Graham run through all of them right now.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So we're playing, we're playing download, We're playing rock and ring, rock and park grass, pop and tusca.
Speaker 3: Currently there's no rock. There's oh yeah, no rock. Oh dang.
Speaker 1: And it looks like Maddie would like you to stop at those six.
Speaker 3: I like that, but I did.
Speaker 1: I did read somewhere you were saying that you guys hadn't been overseas before, and I didn't know if that meant as a band you hadn't been overseas or just individually you hadn't been overseas.
Speaker 3: Both well some of us.
Speaker 2: But oh, London, you're the traveler of travel, have you really?
Speaker 3: I love it? Yeah, he gets around.
Speaker 1: But that's kind of cool though, for it to be the first time to be not you London, this all half for you, but for the first time to go and the first time you go is as a band a tour.
Speaker 2: That's awesome.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're pretty excited about it.
Speaker 5: I hope the same thing doesn't happen though in the States where we get to a place and we just have to stay there in the venue.
Speaker 3: Though I hope we can like walk around like whoa, we're in Europe.
Speaker 5: We're in the exact same looking green room that we'd be at in the fillmore in Charlotte.
Speaker 1: I just want, I want you to get to a city and let it just go. I've already been here, Yeah, I've been here. Yeah, No, it's pretty cool. Now will you there's a flag just my smiling face signature in the war.
Speaker 2: Now, who will will you? Will you?
Speaker 1: And I'm gonna ask this for a reason, like obviously you guys drove from Charlotte last night in the in the van, and I was asking before we went on who drove last night?
Speaker 2: Why does Seb never drive a van?
Speaker 6: Don't I don't have a license at all?
Speaker 2: Wait?
Speaker 3: Wait I did.
Speaker 6: I did just pass the writing test before we went on tour, but I don't think that really permit I don't have a license.
Speaker 2: How much do you hate that he doesn't drive?
Speaker 1: Oh, these are your practice hours like most people were doing with mom and dad.
Speaker 2: But you can do practice hours with them.
Speaker 5: We shouldn't start with the sixth ton'.
Speaker 4: Starting on like level three thousand more thousands and thousands of equipment.
Speaker 1: So that's what that I was trying to figure out. Did you get busted for something? Was there an accident for something? Oh, you should make up a good yeah, but you just never got a driver's license.
Speaker 2: How old are you? Okay?
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, there's no way there's that, because I know we started young. But I was like, in my head, I'm doing the math, and I'm like, you definitely are old enough to have gotten a license by now, why did you ever get one?
Speaker 2: How have you existed with that one?
Speaker 6: I just walked, Well, the guys lived nearby, so I just walked there. And then my job was nearby after high school. So I just walked there and I knew.
Speaker 1: Four blocks of West Covina and that's all I needed to do.
Speaker 2: Know, That's what I can tell you. Where the startuks, We're like, we don't live in New York, you know what I mean?
Speaker 6: Like you.
Speaker 5: In a more suburban the area of La car centric city. Have you been on the public transportation in La is.
Speaker 3: It is under l for sure?
Speaker 2: Not said doesn't need it now.
Speaker 1: I walked to Starbucks, I go to Maddie and Graham's public trans right here, you know what. Never been to Sofie, never been to Staples, never been never been to the Sunset Strip.
Speaker 2: Don't need it everything? I need three blocks.
Speaker 7: My room, the other house.
Speaker 1: All right, let me do this like I said, so the uh the EP has been out. Speak like the Dead, new single, New Religion is out tomorrow night at the Fillmore Silver Spring with Mammoth and Miles Kennedy, Quick break more with return to Dust next Elliott.
Speaker 2: Till Yes the morning, Return to Dust is with us.
Speaker 1: They will be at the Fillmore Silver Spring tomorrow night with Mammoth and Miles entity.
Speaker 2: EP speak like the Dead that is out and available. Now all right, what are we going to play first? What are we playing? First?
Speaker 3: We're going to play a song off of the Speak like the Dead EP.
Speaker 2: Called Board Whenever you are ready, sir?
Speaker 8: All right, people you know.
Speaker 9: They want to crash hid, I wanna ride the hide. They want a cat jot, spend on the week, save it the good time sign on the d and to the why line, it's you insign wayed me something.
Speaker 7: More moreland more.
Speaker 9: And finally come back so more.
Speaker 7: Moreland more. This is a life.
Speaker 9: Sect chance at the ending that you want to get anything you need.
Speaker 7: This is the line.
Speaker 9: To got chance at the ending that you want to get anything you need?
Speaker 7: Bury the bar, child of the.
Speaker 9: Seven gat no, so play with mais.
Speaker 7: Faina, isn't re s isn't bring up with the girl?
Speaker 8: No better.
Speaker 9: If you adn't by new way, be something Marland bar and finally come freny.
Speaker 7: Ma Marland bosn't my life see your chance at the.
Speaker 9: Adding that you want to get anything you need?
Speaker 8: Listen my life.
Speaker 7: Take your chance at.
Speaker 9: The adding that you want to get anything you needed?
Speaker 3: My money, go get borcause.
Speaker 7: Some moana hit it, I moon acquit it. Not's in my money. Go get bocause some moona hit it. I moon acquit it. Not in money.
Speaker 2: Quit God, that was awesome, dude, that was great. Thank you.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get into a couple of things. Let's get into a couple of things. So before we become returned to dusk. So, Maddie and Graham are growing up in a small town outside of Dallas, and.
Speaker 2: You two have known each other since middle school middle school? But like, were you both did you?
Speaker 1: Like?
Speaker 2: Were you friendly in middle school?
Speaker 4: We were acquainted in middle I feel like we didn't really become like friends friends until like like freshman year of high school.
Speaker 3: Yeah is that right?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 2: But knew but knew of each other.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we were like we had mutuals. We were kind of in the same friend group, that sort of thing.
Speaker 1: And then what happened in high school? Like at what point, like what what was the click where YouTube became real friendly?
Speaker 3: I mean I looked into each other's eyes and we I mean, it.
Speaker 2: Really is a true love story, isn't it.
Speaker 5: I think we started like playing a lot of games together or something. Definitely it was probably video games.
Speaker 8: Yeah, right.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, there's no way it was music, right, No, No, I don't. I realized that kind of sounds like a dick thing to say.
Speaker 2: I didn't mean it that way.
Speaker 1: No, No, But it wasn't like like maybe it was like did both of you have your own thing going? And then it was like, let's be in a band again.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I think it was a mix of things like short video games. But we also have this friend Ryan. I'm not sure if that's where you were going, but we have this friend Ryan who uh he was like the type of guy who would just kind of like he'd bring his guitar to school, his I think his ukulele.
Speaker 3: He was just he was like a piano virtuous.
Speaker 4: He was just like a music guy and he would do that and he was so good and he was just so unapologetic about it.
Speaker 3: And that was very contagious and we we liked that. And so I think.
Speaker 1: Contagious to you were like everybody at the school, well, annoying probably to everyone else. Yeah, I feel like, yeah, I feel like you either loved it or hated it, right, you know, and then clearly you two loved it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and uh, and we just became really good friends with Ryan, and you know we just kind of, you know, fell in love with with music after kind of just you know, becoming friends with him and and really growing our relationship with with music.
Speaker 5: It's also like grew into this, you know, the like coffee shop thing that we did every Thursday.
Speaker 2: Uh and in high school, yes, where you would go to that.
Speaker 1: So the way that the story reads, though, can I ask this, like, if Ryan was the driving force behind all this, where's Ryan?
Speaker 3: He works for a producer? Shut up?
Speaker 2: Does he really?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay, so is he the guy that you went to visit in La So Ryan actually is very important to the story. Okay A gotcha, all right, But before we get there, So in high school, you guys get together and you're playing this this coffee shop that had like open mics on on Thursday. What what kind of music were you guys doing. I mean, if if if somebody were to say, like return to Dust like it it's.
Speaker 2: It is a hard rock band.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the music is hard, and that's great. I love it, but I don't know that I imagine myself going in for like a chi t latte and sitting down. I just I don't know what the neighborhood is, like, Yeah, what was it? What was it on Thursday nights? Very much like we just did so just kind of broken down acoustic.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, And I think that like the harder element, the heavier element started to kind of happen like later, we just started to listen to more heavy music, and you know, we're like, let's add drums and let's add you know, heavy guitars. And I was like, man, we need a bass player. I guess I'll do that, right, you know.
Speaker 5: I was like a big like classic rock fan, like I loved like Stevie ay Vaughn and like Eric Clapton, Fleetwood Mac stuff like that. So that's kind of the stuff that I would play just on acoustic in my bedroom, just stuff that I could play solo with just me and just me.
Speaker 2: By yourself and do that. So then so this goes on.
Speaker 1: So you do that all the way through through high school before we make the trip out to see Ryan again.
Speaker 2: Where were you guys in college?
Speaker 3: I was in Colorado? Yeah, I was in Texas. I was in San Marcos in like near.
Speaker 2: Austin, like San Ange State or something like that.
Speaker 3: Uh no, Texas State.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, all right, very good, and you were in Colorado?
Speaker 1: It was Now were you two both in college when you went to see Ryan or were you two still back in Texas at that point?
Speaker 3: No, we were in college.
Speaker 2: So you guys have split up.
Speaker 1: Graham goes at that point, like when you go off to college, and you're, well, you did too, but I mean you moved away.
Speaker 2: Was there any thought that we'll get back together and be a band? No, form a band?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: Absolutely no, that was not an option in our mind. We didn't know it was an option, right, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Sure? Did you stay in touch?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: And so Ryan invites you out to Los Angeles, and both of you were like, all right, screw it, we'll go to LA.
Speaker 8: And then.
Speaker 5: So Ryan works underneath our producer Jim, and so we we went and we visited them, and we we just there are a couple of acoustic guitars sitting around, and so we picked up, you know, one of them, and just started playing a song much like we would at the open mic in mid Lothian and h and Jim really liked it, and he was like, you guys should just drop out of college and like be a band. Like I don't know why you guys are doing that, Like you should you should move here, right, move here and pursue music. And I think we just both got super inspired and we like, on the drive home, just listen to a bunch of like like rock stuff.
Speaker 3: We were like, what kind of band do we want to be? You know?
Speaker 5: Is like and we listened to a bunch of like nineties stuff on the way home, like the drive back to Texas in Colorado, and we just got super inspired and we're like, let's just do it, Like let's just start writing songs like this. So it was like the main catalysts of it was like Queens of the Stone Age Alice and Chainstone double Pilots, just like these kind of like heavier bands that we both mutually loved and felt like we could, you know, pull out of inspiration from to make something cool. And we didn't have a band name at the time anything like that, so we were just like, let's just write songs like that.
Speaker 1: So how how quickly after you got back did both of you guys drop out of college and move to LA three months?
Speaker 3: I think, yeah, it was.
Speaker 4: It was pretty like we were pretty I'd said, like we kind of we sat on it, you know, for the remainder of our of our semester in college, but once the summer hit, we were we were pretty dead set on it.
Speaker 1: Did anybody's parents not really enjoy the phone call? Oh yeah, what what were you studying in Colorado?
Speaker 3: Cybersecurity?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 5: I love it.
Speaker 2: You got to study something that makes total sense? What'd your parents say?
Speaker 8: Uh?
Speaker 3: My dad was not for it. He like begrudgingly was like, you know, okay, like you know, maybe maybe just go and figure it out and feel it out.
Speaker 4: But it felt like every phone call was kind of him persuading me to come back.
Speaker 1: Uh, you know more and more, and I assume he's come around that he's fine now more or less.
Speaker 2: We're getting there, Mattie. How were your parents?
Speaker 3: My parents were fine with it.
Speaker 5: They're a little bit on the fence, are They were like, okay, you should just go feel it out, you know, for a year or so and then see see how it goes. But yeah, they It honestly took a long time and before they were like really.
Speaker 3: About it, you know.
Speaker 5: So they're on board now, yes, right, we're you know, we're like staying at their houses on tour and stuff like. There's they'd support.
Speaker 2: He quick question, why Graham's not listening when you go buy his dad's house? Do we stay at his dad's house? No, No, we'll get there, Graham. We'll get there, all right. So here's so.
Speaker 1: So now we moved to La right, and we're living in the we're living out in West Covina and you guys, you rent a house and you're what were you doing for work, by the way.
Speaker 3: So waiting tables?
Speaker 5: Yeah, waiting tables? Uh, it was it was kind of COVID time a little bit. So we were working grocery store jobs for a bit and then after that kind of subsided. Then we were waiting tables, and then after that we became line cooks. We always worked at the same place because it made our schedules like line up perfectly.
Speaker 2: Pretty smart.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we lived at the same place and also worked at the same place, And when Graham's car wouldn't work, then we would drive in the same.
Speaker 3: Car and literally wait for each other. Yeah. I found out quickly that being in a band men being married.
Speaker 1: Right. Yeah, so you end up you end up renting this house in West Covina, out in a suburb of Los Angeles, and you guys are just playing literally as a garage I don't want to say as a garage.
Speaker 2: Band, but you're rehearsing and just playing in a garage.
Speaker 1: Seven his mom happened to be walking a little fifteen year old Seb and his mom happened to be walking down the street.
Speaker 2: And you guys can hear them playing in the garage. When did you start playing guitar?
Speaker 6: Ten years ago? Now, so when I was ten, So.
Speaker 2: You're ten years old? Were you always good?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 3: No, I was.
Speaker 6: I actually went before I met the guys and went on the walk. I hadn't been playing at all.
Speaker 2: I just gave up.
Speaker 1: Oh but you had played before, Yeah, okay, your mom is the biggest liar in the world.
Speaker 6: Well yeah, I was like playing on and off. But at that point I was like, there's no plant. And then I went on a walk and met these guys.
Speaker 7: And I was like, there's a point.
Speaker 1: So you're walking down the street, they're playing in the garage, and you and your mom hear them playing.
Speaker 2: But your mom is the one that went and knocked on the garage door.
Speaker 3: She did everything. She convinced me.
Speaker 2: She was like, oh, we should go to their house. I was like, I don't know, and she was like, oh, let's let's go do it.
Speaker 6: And we've walked and waited till they were done with their set, and then my mom, yeah, knocked on the garage.
Speaker 3: They thought it was a noise complaint.
Speaker 6: You can hear them like, oh man, how mortified were you? I was so I don't even think I said like a proper word that day. Said yeah, I don't even know if I said anything. My mom said she was like, yeah, he play his guitar and he loves Metallica and heavy metal music.
Speaker 3: You guys should play together.
Speaker 6: And then I got their number and then and then a week went by before you heard from them.
Speaker 3: The So we're trying to play hard to get Yeah, I get it, I get it.
Speaker 1: No, no, but like when you open the garage door, like forget that there's a kid standing there, you don't know anything about him, and mom and hers like what the hell do you end up thinking at that point?
Speaker 5: Yeah, definitely a little skeptical at first, but we were like, we don't have a lead guitarist and we really need one, so you know, let's let's try out.
Speaker 3: Let's see how he is.
Speaker 1: If he's good, and so Seth shows up or Seb rather excuse me, shows up a week later and start playing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's melting faces over here immediately.
Speaker 2: God damn, Like that never happens.
Speaker 1: Like that is the craziest part of the story, that his mom goes and knocks, like, come on, Seb, let's go knock and see what happens. I would I would have shrunk into the ground, like Jesus, Mom, That's how I felt.
Speaker 2: I don't know whether they're practicing. You don't want to bother them. Ah, what'd you guys start playing at first?
Speaker 1: Like finally a week later, well, who reached out after a week, you guys reached out.
Speaker 2: It was right, okay, they gave up on me.
Speaker 3: I was like, they're not good.
Speaker 7: No, I'm okay, why would they?
Speaker 2: Right, there was no one else. I mean really it was you, and it was you.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: We actually had Craigslist ads and like I believe that literally defined a guitarist and like a little posters like guitarists won it all around Guitar Center and stuff.
Speaker 2: We had some weird did you really? Oh yeah, dude, that's saying something. When the one who got it his mom.
Speaker 4: Knocked on the door. Well yeah, And I think it was really cool. Is like this is just a fun fact. And I think this honestly was like very like validating and kind of made us think twice about like said, being so young. Uh, correct me if I'm wrong. David Navarro Jaine's addiction was sixteen when they recorded Nothing Shocking.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, so you know, I.
Speaker 3: Mean anything can happen. Anything can happen, you know exactly.
Speaker 2: And then where does that? Where does where does where?
Speaker 1: Where do you fit into all of this because you've, like we've learned, you've already been touring, you've already been around, So where you end up fitting into everything.
Speaker 3: I wish I was there for that, and I wish I was part of that cute moment.
Speaker 10: But I came in about two years ago now and I was working with another band that Jim, our producer, was working with, and went in a tracker record with them at the same time as their EP. The first EP came out, The Black roadp Right, So Jim gave that to me and I became hooked on it, and I forgot how many months later it was, but they needed a drummer and Jim hit me up and I'm here.
Speaker 1: The By the way, Jim is a Kaufman, I believe right says the nicest thing about you guys, like in anything that you read where he'll talk about the band or start talking about stuff. It's just how how natural it comes, but how hard working you guys are, how much how much it matters to you, and but at the same time, how it's not. And I don't want to say that it's it's come easy. It hasn't come easy by any stretch of the imagination. But just from from a songwriting standpoint, again, we started by saying we've only been out on the road for a year and a half. I feel like that that that is really really quick to start going like that. But he'll just go on and on about how good you guys are and how much how eager you guys are to to work and to learn.
Speaker 2: So I mean, that's pretty nice. That's that's pretty nice.
Speaker 3: Ways.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean being in the studio with him, and there's there's no one that works harder than him. You know, he's he's up at we were just joking just a second ago. He's up at like five am working on mixes, you know, just getting it done.
Speaker 1: So yeah, now what was the So like, there's the the EP, Speak like the Dead and then we just put the the single out relatively recently.
Speaker 2: What was the what's the was?
Speaker 1: Was that the reason to do the EP is that if there would be more stuff, you could just keep kind of adding as you went.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sure, I mean we just kind of want to keep this thing moving forward, you know. And yeah, I would say that that that's kind of that was kind of part of it. We just want to keep you know, keep keep our fans fed, and keep you know, releasing more stuff and keep the keep the band moving forward.
Speaker 3: And we figured that that was the best move.
Speaker 2: And then I saw something online. There was a video. I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know what the company is, but they'll do like like like video tours of bands that are out on the road and they're Vans Digital Tour of us. Yeah, dude, that your van's pretty nice. Thank you, yes for for for a van that's just out pulling around on the road. That vand's pretty nice. We built the inside ourselves, the doubt. There's wood paneling all throughout the throughout the top. But you guys really built it yourself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, dude.
Speaker 2: That's pretty good.
Speaker 5: Actually, Stefan actually yeah, he helps a lot. He's actually got some real blue collar like construction experience.
Speaker 1: It's funny because in the video, Mattter, you talk about how you put that second battery in.
Speaker 3: Right, all right, I was sitting there, I was driving nails like.
Speaker 1: But it looks like it's it's a ton of video games with the TV that's mounted on the wall.
Speaker 2: The van is amazing.
Speaker 7: It really is.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, like when you think of like van living and we've seen some bands come through and vans are like, oh god, that seems rough.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying it's the greatest thing in the world. But still that's pretty nice for van living.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we wanted to find a mix between because we didn't just want bunks because that's very much like it takes up all the room. We wanted like a little communal space that we could just like hang out. And I mean, you're in it for more times than you're not in you're in it for longer than you're not in it. On tour, it's like it becomes your home, but you're on.
Speaker 2: Stage for an hour, So we got twenty three more to kill.
Speaker 5: On a time in that van and driving it's like we wanted to make it comfortable and homie because it was like we did the first tour and there was nothing. It was just like a shell of a sprinter van and it was We're just driving every venue like this is so depressing, Like we got to do something about this. This is not how it should be.
Speaker 2: Like, hey, great, did you break your foot on tour?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: You did?
Speaker 3: Where'd you break I was on the Billy tour?
Speaker 2: Oh was it really?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Where did you? How did you break it?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 4: I was climbing the scaffolding during the song and I jumped off and I'm just kidding.
Speaker 3: I wish that was how it happened. You did do that. I did do that perfectly and landed perfectly. Everything was good. Maybe honestly, maybe I damaged it and I just didn't know it.
Speaker 2: Right there, you go, I loosed the lid right right then? How did it really break?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: Dude, it was.
Speaker 4: It's the coolest story ever. So I was like hopping over the trailer hitch and uh the ground was like uneven, you know, and uh rolled my ankle forward.
Speaker 1: But you know what, if it weren't for hopping off that scaffolding during the show, that's where it all.
Speaker 2: Goddamn right, all right, what give me another song? What are we gonna? What are we playing?
Speaker 5: We got Downfall off of our EP as well. It's a bit of a more melancholic tune, but it works well.
Speaker 2: Can I ask you a question about the song real quickly? What's that the video?
Speaker 1: There's a lot of underwater in the in the video for the song? Are we really underwater filming the video?
Speaker 4: I can hold my breath for two minutes, No, you can't, can probably longer if I try.
Speaker 3: No one's counting or anything.
Speaker 5: Then it was it was a very It was a uh like public shooting space or not public but a private shooting space, uh for videos stuff like that. And the water was so chlorine dense it was it. It dyed our clothes and uh, it just hurt to open your eyes.
Speaker 2: There floating around in that water.
Speaker 5: It took me like a week from my hair to get back to normal. It was like all crunchy and stuff.
Speaker 1: All right, whenever you guys are whenever you guys are ready, buddy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, show me it.
Speaker 7: Shoes me. I don't want.
Speaker 9: Any folks around stubby and the maybe game.
Speaker 8: No, it's not just when I speak this with.
Speaker 7: Can you fix my.
Speaker 8: When I speak like the day.
Speaker 7: If that comes down? Will you dad, don't be that time? For if you see.
Speaker 4: Will you be my friend?
Speaker 7: Don't be that time?
Speaker 3: Tell me shoes many.
Speaker 8: I would started to.
Speaker 7: Get from shape again.
Speaker 9: Back then the sun would shine, not fa loyally shape.
Speaker 8: No, it's not just when I speak fits with.
Speaker 7: Can you face my hand?
Speaker 8: When I speak like the day.
Speaker 7: In the all comes down?
Speaker 8: Will you dame me.
Speaker 3: To be.
Speaker 7: Inducd?
Speaker 1: Will you be.
Speaker 5: To be.
Speaker 7: Limping? I count down? Will you d.
Speaker 8: To be.
Speaker 7: Lympucd? Well you benad.
Speaker 6: To be.
Speaker 1: Return to dust? The EP speak like the Dead is out and available now. New Religion is a new single, You will See Them Tomorrow night with Mammoth and Miles Kennedy at the Fillmore and Silver Spring. Dude, I'm so glad you guys got up on a day off. Really, I really appreciate you guys coming in appreciated.