Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talking. It's Mother's Day at Dodger Stadium. Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there and a man that values mother's his wife, his mom is the man, the legend himself, the great Snell Zilla, two time, two time cy Young Award winner back on the mound last night, Blake, thanks a lot for the time, appreciated.
Speaker 2: Thanks for the intro.
Speaker 1: Heart's Day and our guy r J Pete one of the best club he's in that clubhouse obviously his mom, Holly Robinson Pete, a big listener, big Dodger fan. You want to give your mom a shout out, RJ.
Speaker 2: Happy Mother's Day. Mom.
Speaker 1: I'm over here with Blake snow right now. You know, I just want to wish you the best and I'm always gonna be there for you no matter what.
Speaker 2: Love it.
Speaker 1: How about that that's a guy that loves his.
Speaker 2: Mom, loves his mom. Who doesn't love their mom?
Speaker 1: Last night, it was great to see you back out on the mound. I know you wanted to pitch longer in the game, but how did it feel to be back out?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I felt great.
Speaker 3: Lots to learn but I'll clean it up quickly, and yeah, get back to where I need to be. I feel great, body feels great, recovering great. Really like where I'm at. So obviously, you know, giving up five runs is not the goal, and that's annoying. But the best part is we have, you know, something to learn from. We see how we gave up those runs, we adjust, we get better, and then going into the next one, uh, you know, we see how much work we put in and if we're getting better.
Speaker 1: And I was surprised after the game last night how candid you were about the changes you made to try to limit inflammation, to be a better eater, a better sleeper all that you really you really opened up after the game last night.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I put a lot of work in. So yeah, I'm just I want to play. I want that to be very apparent.
Speaker 2: I want to be on the field and.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's what I love to do. So I'm gonna try to do everything I can to make sure I make the most.
Speaker 1: Have you started to evolve at thirty three years old? I can explain to you what evolved means after the interview, but it means changing with age.
Speaker 2: Bro. You think come on bro with you.
Speaker 3: Dog, listen to me, man, I learned evolve when Pokemon came out.
Speaker 2: Okay, a long time ago. Dog.
Speaker 1: Okay. So we're transitioning into Blake Snell's other fun thing, Zilla Breaks. It seems it's incredible how professional athletes are so into Pokemon and baseball cards and everything else. What's going on with that?
Speaker 2: It's the best. What sports cards? Don't? You don't like sports cards?
Speaker 1: I love them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's unbelievable. Imagine when you hit a one on one.
Speaker 1: Who does that?
Speaker 2: I do it?
Speaker 1: Have you got a one on one, A one of one, a one on one, A one of one, yeah, and a one on one with David Vasse with you?
Speaker 2: No? Hey, sports cards is so much fun. That's what maybe you want to do.
Speaker 3: Zella breaks because the amount of fun that I have breaking my own cards, So it's yeah, it's just unbelievable.
Speaker 2: It's like when when you're not playing and you could, then you know you need something.
Speaker 3: And there's adrenaline in sports cards, on hitting high cards, and you know when when I was hurt and I was watching all the time, it was just it was tough. So that kind of gave me, like some form of adrenaline. But then obviously it was like, well, how do I get on the field because this is like what this is like my favorite you know, part of my life outside of my you know, my family that I've created.
Speaker 2: But yeah, so that's kind of how everything like evolved. And then.
Speaker 1: So how does all this work? Zilla Breaks?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you get easily.
Speaker 3: Well, you bid for like spots, you can buy your own you know, your own box or case of cards. It's more expensive, or you could do when we do breaks on whatnot. You just need to follow the Zilla breaks ig account and then you can you know, get one team or two teams in a break and it's a lot cheaper and you can try to then hit those teams. And right now is the perfect time to getting because everything's so cheap because we're new, so it's you know, you're getting a steal right off the bat.
Speaker 1: I like it. Do you use promo code? Dave assay?
Speaker 3: We'll see, We'll see how many people mess with you and we look at the IG.
Speaker 1: Blake Snell is our guest. Now you mentioned the one of one cards. We know about Otani's and yamamotos. What's the holy grail for a Blake? Snell card, I.
Speaker 2: Don't collect my card.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm chasing show Hey, just like everybody else chasing show chasing Yama. I like Transcendent Baseball the most. It's the most expensive though it's it's expensive, but those are I mean, man, it's just so much fun. And when I saw I saw someone that rip that bought a Transcendent case in our stream. You know, they hit a one of five show Hey Rokie autograph. That was pretty sick. They hit a one on one Big Poppy, that was pretty sick. They hit a three or five there, Jeter. Yeah, they hit some some pretty impressive cars. There's more that I'm missing out on. And then there's MVP Baseball. You know that's Show and Judge. That's pretty amazing as well seeing those. And then for other people there's Sapphire and MLB Draft or a Bowman draft, and uh, those are really good too, because you're chasing rookies. You know they're they're for you know, they just got drafted. You're chasing those. So like a Brady Ebol, I'm chasing.
Speaker 2: That one on one.
Speaker 1: Okay, I love it. I believe in the height, Yes, so do I definitely. Connor Griffin I'm trying to chase that right now.
Speaker 3: See you're getting it. Look at you evolved in front of our eyes.
Speaker 1: Well circle right now, college right here, knowledge, he's got his backup man, hype man r JP right here too. I love seeing the smile. The vibe is great. That is a great sign that this is only going to the next level moving forward. So thank you for the time. Happy Mother's Day to your wife. You got two beautiful kids and she holds it down for you. While you're doing Zilla breaks, you're streaming and you're pitching.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pitching is my focus. You know, we're back to pitching.
Speaker 3: But I definitely I'll try to stream if I can connect with fans and then Zella breaks that goes on. My little brother's doing that. Who's hilarious, so go check him out. But yeah, baseball this is my focus. I'm gonna get better, the starts are gonna get better, and I'm just gonna continue to learn and become, you know, the pitcher I'm trying to be.
Speaker 1: I want that change up in curveball more.
Speaker 2: Next start, I need the fastball more.
Speaker 3: I think the fastball sets it all up, so the fastball didn't get hit. Everything else kind of got broken that hit, But yeah, well we'll learn. We're gonna get a lot better. I think my next one's Friday against say Angels, that's what I think. I don't know yet, but yeah, I gotta get ready for them. A lot of guys are having good years there, so a lot to learn, and yeah, just get.
Speaker 2: Get better in the zone. Understand, the zone's a little smaller this year now.
Speaker 3: I've been watching it, but I thought it was the same, But being out there is a completely different thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I heard, did you say that after the game as well? The abs. That's something we didn't really take into account. How different was it pitching last night with that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was. It was weird. I mean, I think about it.
Speaker 3: I went from twenty sixteen, where the zone was a real strike zone, like an actual strike zone chest to knees, you know, and you had will a room on the outside part of the plate, inside part of the plate.
Speaker 2: So now the top of.
Speaker 3: The strike zone is below the belt, so you just cut off a foot of zone and then the bottom of the zone is knees, which it's always been, but even that is a little high, I still think. And then there's no east to West, it has to be on the plate. So yeah, it's to me, I'm not a fan of it because I understand what the league's trying to do, but I can't.
Speaker 2: Do nothing about.
Speaker 3: I gotta throw in the zone and attack and you know, be the best I can be. But I think there needs to be something that favors the pitchers next if they do another move, it has to favor the pictures because everything they've done the favorite hitters speed us up with our warm up time. You know, you could barely get eight pitches if you're rushing through it, and then you got a pitch you only got fifteen seconds.
Speaker 2: That is.
Speaker 3: It depends on hitter pitcher, but it's still I think it's still favors hit her. And then now the zone is just it's the abs is shrinked the zone because now they're getting the umps getting called out more and so it's a whole thing. But something has to favor the picture. Everything I think they've done is the favorite hitter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it made no secrets about that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So it's like, can we favorite the picture because they keep saying, well, the pitchers are getting better, Well, why do we get.
Speaker 2: Penalized for that?
Speaker 1: Makes sense.
Speaker 2: Why, Yeah, it doesn't make sense.
Speaker 1: Chicks dig the lung ball, that's why.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well.
Speaker 1: Was that something that you were unsure of last night?
Speaker 3: I mean I thought I was hitting the outside part of the plate and I was just off.
Speaker 2: Some of them hit like they clip, but he's calling them.
Speaker 3: So it's like you're looking at that and you're just like, man like, so you're gonna give me no part of the zone. You're not gonna give anything that clips when it's a strike, Like, if you're gonna if the zone's gonna be that small, like, there has to be some give and take.
Speaker 1: When I watch it and the replays here, I feel like they've got to have at least a certain percentage of the baseball to be in the strike zone instead of just barely touching it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, there has to be some east and west here, or some north and south of the zone that you know, you give us. It can't just be a can we're throwing into. Like yeah, I mean, there's nothing you can do about it. You gotta throw strikes, you gotta attack, there's no excuse to it. But watching it, being a part of it, you're definitely like, man like, do you I want like them to go whoever thought of this great idea of making the strike zone that small? I want them to go out there and throw against big league hitters. The zone is tiny, and think about it. I don't hear hitters ever complaining anymore.
Speaker 1: No, they're not complaining at all.
Speaker 3: Never complaining because they realize the zone is tiny.
Speaker 1: Well that's another learning curve for you for the next start.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So yeah, for me, I just I've learned his own so I got to get in it, and yeah, I'll do that. So you know, with me, you know, complaining about it, it's also in me understanding you know what I need to do to succeed, and there's no excuses, you know, get in the zone. This is what we have to do to be the best, and that's what we're gonna do.
Speaker 1: Thanks Snell, You're the man. Great to have you on snell Zilla's Sunday Mother's Day edition and snall Zilla will receive a gift card to Javier's. Take your Mom to Javier's. It's Mother's Day every day.
Speaker 2: A Happy Mother's Day to all the moms. We love y'all.