Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talker.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to Dodger Talk. David Vasse with you until eight o'clock tonight here on a five to seventy LA Sports And earlier this week, the Dodgers announced some promotion dates. But this is more than just getting a bobblehead on August fifteenth, the Dodgers are going to honor a man that certainly has had an impact on many generations, whether it's on the field or off the field. The Dodgers are honoring the great Reggie Smith by inducting him into their pseudo Hall of Fame, the Legends of Dodger Baseball before the August fifteenth game at Dodgers Stadium. Reggie Smith played seventeen seasons in Major League Baseball, six of those with the Dodgers. He was a seven time All Star, three of those playing for the Dodgers, and he won the World Series. It was a huge part of the dodgers a run from nineteen seventy seven to nineteen eighty one, and certainly the reason why the Dodgers are inducting Reggie Smith is not just about how great he was on the field, not just about his two thousand hits, not just about his three hundred and fourteen home runs or his two eighty seven lifetime batting average. It's the legacy that lives on through so many teachers across Major League baseball, minor league baseball, and youth baseball, because that's the type of impact Reggie Smith has had on so many people, and the great number eight. Reggie Smith joins us on Dodger Talk. Reggie, thank you so much and congratulations on getting this honor.
Speaker 1: Thank you very much, David, and thank you for the kind words and introduction there. I truly appreciate it.
Speaker 2: What does it mean to you, Reggie, when Lon Rosen and the Dodgers called you to let you know that you were going to going to be part of the legends of Dodger baseball. What was your first reaction.
Speaker 1: I was humbled, almost to the point of being a little emotional, to receive that kind of recognition and knowing that you know all of the great players, and let alone great players, the great men that have put on and worn that Dodger uniform that you know, to be selected amongst that, it's quite a humbling experience. And I'm sure it will be August fifteenth. But again, having grown up in the Los Angeles area era area here, it's special. It's a special feeling.
Speaker 2: When you were growing up in the Ala area, did you ever have dreams of playing for the Dodgers?
Speaker 1: I did, you know, And mainly because I was a Dodger before I became a Dodger, you know, having listening to games when in school, when the Dodgers were back in Brooklyn and they were in the World Series back in nineteen fifty five and fifty six, and then go and Behold in nineteen fifty eight. They're playing here. But because of you know, Jackie Robinson, who was my boyhood hero in baseball, all that he stood for that, you know what, I wanted to play for the Dodgers. Yes, I would have, But it was just like anything else. It was a little boys dream that that was fortunate enough to have come true.
Speaker 2: Reggie going to Centennial High School in Compton. Has it come full circle?
Speaker 1: Has you know? Because fortunately by the time I got to high school, the Dodgers were well entrenched here in the Los Angeles area. And but at the time when I was in high school, it was more I was thinking of playing football at that time, and pretty much had thought that that's what I was going to do, to hopefully go to college and play college football. But like they say, life intervened in that being my dad got sick and it was an opportunity for me to help the family because at that time, you know, you could sign with any team. There was no draft, and I was fortunate enough to get signed and ultimately developed the skills enough so that when I did come back, ultimately got traded to the Dodgers, came home when I was in the prime of my career, and my parents got to see me what I like to think when I was at my best, and certainly being a part of the Dodger organization who had so much tradition and winning that I was able to help and participate in World Series with him, which is every little boy's dream or every baseball player's dream. I think of playing in the World Series and winning.
Speaker 2: And you certainly did in nineteen eighty one with those group of Dodgers, Reggie Smith's first full season back home in LA. He only hit three zero seven and only slugged five seventy six with an ops of a thousand, making the All Star Team for the first of three times in Dodger Blue, now Reggie during that period of time, we always obviously celebrate the infield that came up together through the minor leagues. But for those that remember, it was when al Campanis acquired yourself, Dusty Baker, and Rick Monday in the outfield that seemed to really change the fortunes of the team. What do you remember about Uh coming in with those four or five guys with Jaeger included, to really become kind of the leaders of the team.
Speaker 1: Well, when when this trade was made for me coming over from Saint Louis, al Campanis at the time said that he believed that I was that missing piece. He Dusty had come UH in a trade that winter, and h I came during junior that summer during the trade deadline there and Monday came in that that winter. So what it was and those pieces that between Baker, myself and Monday they believed were the missing pieces that and it worked out well because we jeled and all had a similar mindset and goal to be the best that we can be and win ball games. And it was fun because, like I said, those key pieces were already there with the players the say Garvey Loats, Russell Jaeger and further, those pieces were there. The pitching was already there. We just came in and filled in that outfield to make one probably one of the most potent lineups that had been in history at that time, so that we could compete against anyone. And you look, making up almost twenty games or thirty games between the years before to where we started to dominate against the Reds and other teams in the National League.
Speaker 2: Yeah, back in the day, it was the big Red machine in the NL. Lasting they were dominating up until nineteen seventy seven, which happened to be Tomu Lasorda's first year as the manager of the Dodgers. What do you remember the most about the seventy seven season? And A, I know, the World Series did not go the way you guys wanted, but for the first time in a while, it wasn't about the Reds. It was about your Dodgers.
Speaker 1: Well it was you know, you had the big Red machine and we became the big Blue wrecking crew, you know. So the fact that we were able to have eight guys on that field at any time, you know that had to not only the desire the skills to win, but the desire to win and and make it happen were we were eight strong and the motivation off. Tommy during that off season had spoken to each one of us and it was the first time I ever had a manager ever say to me, I need you and this is what I would like to see you do for this BAFF club. But he had that same conversation with all the other players, and we made the commitment to doing just that. That we were going to win, and we were going to go to spring training and one of the sayings that I like to tell a guys, because I even said the same thing to mister O'Malley at the time, that look, we're not coming here to spring training to prepare to play the season. We're coming to spring training to prepare to play in the World Series and win. And that was our philosophy at that time. And that's what Tommy inspired and expected of us, and that that's what we did. We went out and did just that. Yeah, the World Series didn't turn out like we like. You know, it's a short series and it's the case where the best team, I believe doesn't always win because Baseball is that kind of game. But we got there, and we got to the World Series in doubt, didn't. We didn't accomplish that mission until nineteen eighty one, and that was to win.
Speaker 2: That is the pillar of strength, the voice Reggie Smith, who is going to be inducted into the Legends of Dodger Baseball this season August fifteenth. You want to get there early now. Reggie not only had a great playing career, but his legacy is going to live on because of how great of a person he is and how many lives he has tough. He currently runs the Reggie Smith Baseball Academy and Encino. My ten year old son has fallen in love with it because Reggie has done a great job of teaching the teachers. And Reggie coached for the Dodger organization from nineteen eighty nine to nineteen ninety eight and still has had an impression on Major leaguers like Max Free to this day. With all that being said, Reggie and your playing career speaks for itself, But does it mean more to you to have this lasting impact on so many people, even when you're eighty years old and you can't play baseball anymore.
Speaker 1: You know who as I said with Jackie Robinson, And what did Jackie say, you know, the legacy. If there's anything he wanted to believe that was important to him was the impact that it had on other lives. Well, if that which Jackie's philosophy and how he wanted to be remembered, that's what I wanted to do. So being off the field absolutely more to me than what accomplished from a stair than what I accomplished on the field, because to give individuals hopes and instill confidence and the things in them that they need to hopefully be the productive life, whether it's through how the things that they attain attained through education or having baseball as a vehicle to be able to attain those things. I felt that that has been my purpose and my goal in life is to help others be able to, especially in baseball, play this little boy's game and have fun doing it. And you know, if anything, just just just be a good person, teak people like you want to be treated. And the rewards that I've received of seeing my students and the people that I've touched be successful and enjoy the game. And more importantly, I asked him if there's anything that you can give me, give back and share the things that were shared with you, because as my mother taught me a long time ago, the only way to keep a gift is that you have to share it. So that's that's what I endeavor to do. And the reward is saying and having kids enjoy Like you said your son that it made me really feel good that he said that he had fun there and he wants to come back. So then what else do you want? What else can you expect to have a child and have someone have fun and enjoy what they're did and hopefully take those lessons that they've learned in baseball and use them throughout their lives.
Speaker 2: I think that's the greatest compliment Reggie. A ten year old kid and ten year old kids that show up to the Reggie Smith Baseball Academy that never saw you play know who Reggie Smith is and are proud to say they went there. And I think that's a testament to you and the way you've taught your coaches. That's a special gift.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you. I appreciate it, and it's sharing a gift that was shared with me. And as long as I'm able to do that, and I will continue to offer that because as a blessing, because I was blessed with the ability to do it.
Speaker 2: Reggie Smith as our guest, Reggie, I got to ask you a baseball question with what's going on even before a single game is played in spring training? We've had superstars like Corbin Carro, Francisco Lindor Jackson holiday fracture the handmade bone. What do you make of that? It doesn't seem like it's a coincidence. Is it because of the training of these players during the off season? What do you make of three big time players breaking their handmade bone before spring training?
Speaker 1: I would venture to say that they are probably overlapping the little finger on the bottom hand of the hand that the bat is the extension up. So in other words, they might be overlapping where either that the pinky finger is resting on the knob or just below it. And what that does. That puts the pressure on the handmade bunk in the hands. It's actually probably more common injury then the people know. But I don't know for sure. I would have to feed how these guys are gripping the bats, But I believe that to be the cause of it. Because of that that pressure. You see, the grip of the bat is mainly held in the the bottom three fingers from in from the middle finger, ring finger, and the pinky finger. That's where most of the pressure is applied to strength in terms of the grip of the bat, so that if you put the knob of the bat on that little finger there, it positions it perfectly on that handmade bonk and to cause injury.
Speaker 2: That's a great explanation from one of the best hitting coaches you will ever find. Extended. Tim Wallack's career brought Mike Piazza back to camp and he went on to have a Hall of Fame career. To mention just the two of the many impacts that he has had as a coach and as a teammate, Reggie, look forward to celebrating you at Dodgers Stadium. Hopefully we can do this before then, but you know how many people are really happy that you're going to be celebrated, and rightfully so, I can't thank you enough, and everybody has so much reverence for you, So thank you so much for your.
Speaker 1: Time, thank you and thank you for the recognition and certainly for Lon and the Dodgers to bestowing this dis prestigious honor on me, and again I'm truly humbled and appreciative of it. Thank you for having me on Dave.
Speaker 2: All Right, there is Reggie Smith shade him taking as much time as he did to share a lot of stories and memories and just what makes Reggie Smith so respected and why he has affected so many people in the game of baseball and also you know, doing what he's done with the Reggie Smith Baseball Academy out there and Encinos. So thank you to Reggie for his time and looking forward to celebrating him on August fifteenth when he is inducted into the Legends of Dodger Baseball.