Speaker 1: That was.
Speaker 2: Nice, Steely Heap, All right, we have in studio with us this morning some people that I need to talk to one on one because it was not none of you guys, it was me. Last week on the show, we were in the midst of a conversation and I said something that I thought was being funny and it wasn't funny. After hearing it back probably about five or six times, I started realizing more and more that, Okay, this probably is not a good thing to say. And then after getting a chance to talk to Carrie and your sister what's your sister name again, Kelly, or make sure you talk right.
Speaker 1: Into the mike.
Speaker 3: You're gonna have to get right into about that.
Speaker 1: Carry and Kelly.
Speaker 2: Last night we had a conversation for I don't know, maybe thirty minutes or something like that. I learned more and right now I'm going to use this opportunity to apologize to you, Carrie, who was the person who made the post that went viral and then ended up I got to tell you there's a lot of people that support you, guys, because they were all over a lot of our posts and then got me to realize that I need to make an apology, and I want you to know first off, that it was an uneducated comment that was made, and I want you to know that it was not a red statement. When I put that up there. That was from my heart sitting on my couch in my living room, and that is from somebody who truly does never want to go out and do anything to hurt any human or any animal. So I would love for you to educate me, but also use this opportunity to educate others that may not know what you guys do at bark Nation, but you can follow bark Nation. Barnation is a local organization, right. You're in the area here in Michigan, and you guys are helping out dogs that are put through horrible situations of dog fighting.
Speaker 1: So I am sorry.
Speaker 3: Yeah, thank you so much, Mojo. We really appreciate that.
Speaker 4: Of course, hearing that on air was extremely jarring to us day in and day out.
Speaker 3: That is what our mission is.
Speaker 4: Our mission is to help end dog fighting and animal cruelty, not only here in Detroit but beyond right, So we are the.
Speaker 3: Only nonprofit organization that solely works with dog.
Speaker 4: Fighting and cruelty survivors. So this is our passion this is our love. So to hear you say that was, you know, it did take us back a bit like, oh, man, like we need to step up our education game and really show people, Yes, this is a thing, this is real, this is prevalent out there. But also on the flip side, seeing how quickly you responded to that in such a mature manner was.
Speaker 3: Really exciting for us as well.
Speaker 4: And it gave us the opportunity to come together and to have that talk and to say, hey, let's let's come on here, let's have a conversation that is positive, and let's let's have an educational moment here, and let's talk about it.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about what we do.
Speaker 2: I have to tell you that I did not know. And I told you this last night with your sister and your sister can we say what your sister does or Noah, she's in law enforcement? Right, So she's in law enforcement, and we were I had a friend who's in law enforcement also that told me. He's like, yeah, you know, we do investigations and bust you know rings of dog fighting that take place in the Detroit area. And he said, and I guarantee there's more outside of Detroit and Toledo and Grand Rapids, And I said, I did not know that. I mean, I honestly thought from years back, I thought, after the whole Michael Vick situation, I thought dog fighting was was that stopped everything? I did not realize the worst thing about not thinking that dog fighting is around is now it's probably even crueler than what it was back when people were more open about going to dog fighting or doing dog fighting. So can you explain, first off, who's the dog.
Speaker 1: That's with us?
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's introduce the people.
Speaker 1: Who introduce introduce your team.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, So I'm Carrie.
Speaker 4: I'm one of our co founders, and I'm our current our current board president.
Speaker 3: I'm Jenna.
Speaker 5: I'm our shelter manager. So I work alongside Marissa with placements, with caring for the animals and kind of running kind of our facilities.
Speaker 1: And you are Marissa. I am Marissa Marissa.
Speaker 3: And this is apple Jack.
Speaker 6: Jack he knows we're talking about and.
Speaker 1: Had him in Laxidude.
Speaker 2: Tell me tell me about apple Jack and tell me about how you guys found that's.
Speaker 1: A great name.
Speaker 5: So with apple Jack, he's at actually from a different part of Michigan. We were called by a law enforcement team who was at a property. It was an unexpected Sometimes we have their investigations. We work with different organizations that are that are putting together these search warrants. This was an unexpected situation for this team and they call us and said, hey, we've got the situation. We believe that it is dog fighting as well as what they were there for. We went to the property. It very much was and we met apple Jack and several of his other friends.
Speaker 2: That's what I was going to ask it to Normally, so when you go into a situation like this, like you see multiple dogs in a home that are and this and that's the purpose.
Speaker 5: So most of these dogs are going to be they're outside.
Speaker 1: We know that all weather, all seasons, all okay. So that's a big clue.
Speaker 5: Living on chains, they're in the dirt. They're not living the greatest lives. And so that was apple Jack. He was on a chain. He was jumping at the end of it, very excited to see us. Something a lot of people don't know about dog fighting survivors is they are their wonderful most ninety nine percent of the time human.
Speaker 3: Social, wonderful dogs.
Speaker 5: And so apple Jack and his friends came back to our shelter where we held on to them as evidence during their court case.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 5: And then once we were once the court case was over, apple Jack and his friends, we got to figure out placement wise, figure out adoption, if they were going to a transfer partner to find homes or if we do. Sometimes if the world's a little bit too big for some of them, we will celebrate them and have a sendoff together as a team.
Speaker 2: I'm i carry to be honest, I'm shocked that the dogs are so friendly with you, because you would think what they're put through would be traumatizing to them to they wouldn't trust, you know, people that are around them. So when you take in a dog and you are keeping that dog safe, how soon can a dog be adopted off to a good home that's going to take care of them.
Speaker 5: Okay, So it depends on the case. Sometimes there are owners who surrender them right away and say, you know, it's we want to surrender. We're going to let you guys, you know, take ownership of the dogs, take care of them, and then find placement. There are some there to tie up in the court system for years.
Speaker 1: And they're fighting to get their dogs back, yes, yes, wait years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, still in our shelter because they're court day.
Speaker 2: So really, so these people in these people do they know that they like they must know when their police or you know, whoever goes in there and does their arresting or search warrants and all that stuff, they must try to deny.
Speaker 1: That they're they're doing dog fighting or what do they do?
Speaker 5: Well, typically dog fighting is never stand alone, so there's always other things going on. There are guns, there's drugs, there's the Constitution, there's there's so typically it's a whole bigger picture than just what it might look like going in for dog fighting. So there's typically a whole slew of things going on.
Speaker 2: And I ask you, guys, and I know that we go from West Michigan all the way to Toledo. Are we talking like this is a city thing that's going on or is this happened in the suburbs and country everywhere?
Speaker 4: Well, Joy happens everywhere. And I'll tell you because I know that you broadcast specifically in Detroit, Grand Rapids, Toledo. Out of two out of those three listening areas we have assisted in search Warrens and Wow and and the third one damn.
Speaker 3: Near close to it.
Speaker 4: It literally happens everywhere, and it's every demographic of person, you know, male, female, anybody kidding?
Speaker 1: Women, A dogfighter, yes, oh my god.
Speaker 4: And I think that that's something that is so overlooked. People don't understand that.
Speaker 2: It was interesting when I saw your poet and I read your post and everything, all the statistics that you put up there, and you had the gentleman holding the two dogs. I thought instantly it was a guy that was the listener that was upset with us. I didn't know it was you, and so I just thought that it was and I actually was kind of happy to know that there was a man that is willing to fight against this. It's wonderful to see all these women that are like yourselves. How did you guys become passionate in doing this?
Speaker 3: Well, let me tell you this.
Speaker 4: As soon as that statement was made, because we do have a number of men who are on our team and they said, we want to be a part of this, and we set up so many photo shoots. We had about twelve photo shoots within those two days of the men on our team with our dog fighting survivors, so that we could show you physical examples of them rescuing the dogs and that sort of thing. The picture that you saw was a real life picture on scene of someone rescuing those puppies.
Speaker 3: But yes, we do have.
Speaker 4: Amazing women on our team as well who are going on that scene cutting their chains, making sure that those dogs are getting to safety and taking them back to our shelter, which is an undisclosed location because if you think about it, we are holding live evidence. So just like how we need to protect evidence for any sort of case, we need to protect dogs like Applejack. So we love to call it pitness protection. Oh when they're coming into pitness protection and we're protecting them, but we're getting them healthy, We're opening up their world at their pace. We're teaching them that humans are awesome. We are teaching them how to be dogs. Some of them have never had a toy before. Some of them, you know, are just learning how to just be dogs. So that's really what our team is doing is kind of standing in that gap for them while they're awaiting those court dates, and.
Speaker 3: Then the dogs can be adopted.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes they can.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah.
Speaker 5: So what many might not even think about is you think we've got these big scary dogs who hate other dogs and want to a lot of the dogs that come in actually really enjoy other dogs. We do have some who have been through a lot of trauma. Maybe they decide they don't want to uh to be with other dogs.
Speaker 3: We will work with.
Speaker 5: Our placement our transfer partners, different shelters throughout Michigan, throughout Ohio, Pennsylvania to place some of them so that they have more more networking and more adoptions, since we aren't a forward facing shelter, but we do adopt out many of them ourselves. And then there are some who if we think like like we said, there are some who the trauma does does trump a little bit, and we want to always make sure they're re placing safe dogs. So if we do find a dog that we feel would not be successful, the worst thing we could do is set it up to fail in society and set a family up to fail, because that would just be ten steps backwards for us. But we do get a lot of these dogs love other dogs, They play with other dogs, they live with other dogs, and when they get out of the situation, they're dogs.
Speaker 7: Let me let me say two things real quick, and y'all can cook. First, I'm gonna say something to you, Mojoe, then I'm gonna say something to y'all. I think it's incredible that you have this platform, Mojo, and you have this show, And it could have been easy as hell for you to ignore whatever communication came out and let it blow over, let it die over, and maybe it would have been going a week from now. But the fact that you allowed them to come in here and you sitting in their face and having a conversation, I do want to commend you and applaud you for that. For you all, though, I think it is incredible the work it is that you're doing.
Speaker 3: Thanks.
Speaker 1: You are a voice for the voiceless.
Speaker 7: There are some people that are like, man, we just got down watching MMA fighting on Friday, or whatever the case may be. A lot of those people have made the decision to step into that ring. These dogs don't have that decision. I think it's incredible what you all are doing. And also for the people out there when there's an injustice that you that you experience, speak up, because had you not spoken up and kept speaking of we wouldn't be here talking about the situation. And the fact that Mojo has this here shows is where his heart truly lies, and he just, you know, says something. Whatever the case may be, we know where your heart is. That's why they're here. I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: I want to ask you guys, though, and this is something that's to me really important from this. There are going to be people that forever are going to hate me for that conversation that we had on the.
Speaker 1: Air, and that makes me sad.
Speaker 2: I hope that the majority of those who are truly upset by this, I hope they either give up of their time or they give up of their money or whatever it might be to help out your organization, because I don't want this to just become a situation where you guys become known as oh, there's this is the organization that you know called out Mojo. I want you guys now to be known as Okay, I did not know that there was a shelter for these abused animals, because there's a lot of shelters that are out there that get a lot more talk than you guys do. I did not know anything about you guys, So I really want to know from your perspective, Carrie, what do you want to come out of this whole Last you know half week that we've had.
Speaker 4: Well echoing off with what keV said there, like I agree, Like I thought that that was top notch that you decided we're going to go ahead and address this head on with us, Like.
Speaker 1: I told you, I would have done it earlier, but I Heeard Radio.
Speaker 4: You know you've got to go through the tape right, totally understand that they're so.
Speaker 3: Yes, I totally I echo your sentiments there.
Speaker 4: And all we wanted to do with that post was educate. It wasn't to slander in any way, shape or form.
Speaker 3: It was to educate and speak be their voices.
Speaker 4: Because when we heard back in twenty nineteen, so we have been an organization for fourteen years now, but back in twenty nineteen, we heard a staggering statistic that they could do a dog fighting raid every single day.
Speaker 3: They don't have.
Speaker 4: The resources in places to put the animals. And we thought, well, we could do this much. We could have one large scale shelter and we could take as many as we can within the means that we have, right, and that's what we do. We work within the means that we have, so of course, any additional support, whether it be volunteering whether it be financial.
Speaker 3: Support, fighting a home, fosters.
Speaker 4: Finding homes, even like purchasing things off of our Amazon wish list to help move forward. We hold live evidence for government agencies, but we do not receive a single penny from the government to scold their live evidence. This is a passion of ours that we keep moving forward due to the generosity of our supporters. So we throw events we you know, we have monthly. We have a monthly donor program so that we can sustain keeping the lights on in the building and the food and the vet bills. I can probably ask you guys to go more into what the vet bills look like. For every single intake of a dog, it requires a veterinary you know, exam, it requires lab work, all of these things. So we can only rescue as much as what we have, you know, we can only go as far as what we within our means.
Speaker 1: And if you guys talk about the you know, talk about the money, the money that it costs.
Speaker 2: I want people to know Bark Nation, Instagram, Facebook, you see them.
Speaker 1: You can just go to our social media and you'll see it.
Speaker 2: But I will tell you I think it's important that we all, you know, learn from this. I also I have no control over a lot of the people that are making comments. I think I do have a little bit of influence on those that are our listeners that were defending me for this, and I don't want you to defend me. I want you to also be part of this too. Don't say it was just a joke and and leave it at that. I want you to say, you know what, let's not make this become something that you can joke about.
Speaker 1: I want everybody to become aware.
Speaker 2: So I want to tell you, tell those listeners, I want you to do this for us as a show. If you care about the show, I want you to take care of bark Nations.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we'll never belittle this as a joke because, like to us, it's not funny.
Speaker 3: And every single time.
Speaker 1: That was pretty damn funny karma.
Speaker 3: The fact that you all saw it was.
Speaker 2: We had we had a dog in here from uh your society, I think it was everwhere and get a full office of people rolling around in its poop. All right, thank.
Speaker 3: You for coming in.
Speaker 5: I also want to say, as far as obviously we we saw comments from your listeners, we saw comments from the animal welfare world. We want to shout out to our our animal welfare world. We have a million people in the city. In other states, there are people fighting for these animals every day in and out. I do want to encourage our animal welfare world continue.
Speaker 3: While yes, we get.
Speaker 5: You know, things get emotional, things get these are animals. It's easy to jump at someone, It's easy to say you're the worst, this was awful, this is you know, and and bash other people. You know, our emotions can get the best of us. But I want to encourage our animal welfare people in Detroit, in Toledo, in Grand Rapids, when something like this happens, take that time and use it as a learning Let's not just try to bash everybody. Let's try to get more people on our team.
Speaker 3: We work with with.
Speaker 5: Groups outside the state, We work with groups down south. Our goal is to have animal welfare groups doing this in every state across the nation. And yeah, and this is how we do it is we gather, we gather people, we gather forces, and we hold each other up and we educate. MRSA, do you want to give maybe a minute or two about what happens in our fitness protection program?
Speaker 2: If we have I only have a couple more minutes, but I but go ahead and please.
Speaker 6: So really, Jena touchbase on our shelter, which is our fitness protection shelter, and we have dogs just like Applejack who come in and are there during their court cases. We have no clue how long, but really we're there to show them how much we love them and help them be dogs. So really that's what it's about, and it's daily care. It's showing up every single day for them, making sure they have food and water that they didn't know if they were going to have that back in their previous life.
Speaker 1: They never knew. So we just have a lot of fun. I love it.
Speaker 7: Look in front of people in the comments, put your money or your tom or your mouth is. Don't be somebody that just got Twitter fingers that want.
Speaker 1: To blow up.
Speaker 7: Take an hour of your day, Take one hundred dollars and do something with it.
Speaker 1: Take twenty dollars. Yea, Hi Nicole, Hello.
Speaker 3: Hi Okay Mojo, you had me in tears.
Speaker 5: I'm really proud of you and for being a fan of you.
Speaker 3: I knew I had a feeling you wouldn't flop this when I saw the post last week.
Speaker 5: I was a little worried, but you handled it so well and I just really.
Speaker 2: Love you guys.
Speaker 1: Well I've learned a lot and I'm going to learn more.
Speaker 2: Carrie is now going to be getting more phone calls from me, and I'm gonna come and see you guys.
Speaker 1: And yeah, all right, just warning.
Speaker 2: I know you're gonna get Carrie by the way, said to me on the phone last night, he goes first time, long time, literally, So hold on. I appreciate I appreciate you guys for accepting the apology because you can apologize sometimes people you know it's too hard for them to accept it. So I appreciate it. You were you shared that video so fast. I mentioned this to you last night. There's some place you know, you could have kept the algorithm going further so to speak of people being upset, and you didn't because you shared.
Speaker 1: And you understood that it was coming from me. So what were you with? What are you gonna say?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 4: But but that was important to us too, Moja, because we were never so basically, when you said that, it put out the bat signal, put out the bark nation signal into the sky.
Speaker 3: And we knew that we had to address it right. But we never wanted to.
Speaker 4: We never wanted to come down and make you look like you were the worst thing on the face of the earth. We wanted an opportunity to educate, right, So we were also equally impressed at how swiftly you addressed. So I'm thank you for this. Thank you for giving us this opportunity. We really do hope that we could do some really cool things.
Speaker 2: We have, not partners, but partners. I don't have a commercial break for a while, but I want to play a quick song. I normally never play any music. You guys, by the way, this shows you how much you affected me. I'm playing a song, but I want to play a song.