Speaker 1: Two Dodger outfield prospects have been selected to participate in the game on Sunday. Hosts Way, Depaula, and our guest right now from Double A Tulsa, the Tulsa Drillers, Mike Saroda. Mike, thanks a lot for the time. Appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: So, Mike, this is a great honor of recognition of your season. I know it's not the All Star Game, but it's essentially the All Star Game for minor league players. What was your reaction when you found out they wanted you to play.
Speaker 3: I was just extremely grateful for the opportunity. You know, not very many minor leaguers get to do this, So when I first heard the news, I was ecstatic. You know, obviously it's a huge opportunity and I'm just grateful for it.
Speaker 1: Who broke the news to you? How do you find out you're playing in the Futures Game?
Speaker 3: I actually went in my manager, Coach Wedge. I went in there and he broke the news to me and host Way.
Speaker 1: Eric Wedge is still your manager at Tulsa.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he is.
Speaker 1: And what kind of manager is he? I mean, he's been through it, he's managed some real good teams in the major league. So what's he like as a minor league manager?
Speaker 3: You know, he's just the best. I mean, his baseball knowledge is just off the charts. I learned new things from him every day, just whether it's about on the base, pats with in the batter's box. You know, it's just great to have a guy like that teaching you about the game and whatnot.
Speaker 1: Does it make a difference to your ears kind of focus a little bit more when you have a manager that managed some of the best players in the big leagues and has the experience of what it takes to not only get there, but to stay there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 3: I mean, having someone like that sort of mentor me this year, it's just awesome to have.
Speaker 1: Mike Saroda is our guest. He is having a phenomenal season at Tulsa. Mike, you got to know this about me. I know the rules. I'm not bringing up any stats or anything like that, so you're safe right here.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, sounds good, But I know you're.
Speaker 1: Having a great year and it's your first full season and the Dodger organization after being acquired from Reds and that Gavin lux Trade. What's it been like to be part of this organization and how have they brought the best out of you?
Speaker 2: This organization is just next level.
Speaker 3: I mean the resources that you have to talk to, whether it's the staff at the affiliates or spring training, it's just next level. And the amount of information that you get and the knowledge that that these these people have, it's just next level and it's great to have.
Speaker 1: What are some of the tools that you're talking about. Is it the stuff that we hear about in spring training and in at Dodger Stadium as far as VR and just the information? What is it about the minor league system that helps guys develop?
Speaker 3: I think it's more so the kind of like approach based things that our hitting coaches have and the information that's relayed to us about just breaking down our approach and what we're thinking in the box and kind of like critical thinking about what we're doing up there, and that's kind of the key to I think what's helped me the most with the Dodgers.
Speaker 1: You're a great guy to ask this question, too, because you hear some of the old school players say that guys are striking out way too much. There's an over emphasis on slugging, not just putting the ball in play. What is being taught in the organization and what's your philosophy on all that.
Speaker 3: When I'm in the batter's box, I'm really just trying to find a good pitch to hit and I'm okay with taking a strike. That's kind of my philosophy. But I mean, it varies throughout the organization with each player. I mean, the Dodgers are special because each player is very different, and not very many organizations are like that. A lot of organizations is kind of like the same archetype of player, I feel like, so it's pretty unique to have an organization that it just varies between the players. But for me, I'm just looking for my pitch to hit and I'm going to do my best amount.
Speaker 1: Mike Serota is our guest right now. He's in Double A Tulsa. On Sunday, he'll be playing in the Futures Game in Philadelphia. Mike, I heard that from James Tibbs in spring training. Obviously, he's been with a couple of different organizations and he has a great perspective on what separates the Dodgers. But the one thing that really stood out to me is something that you just mentioned. How they allow you guys to be yourselves and they don't try to put you into this cookie cutter formula that doesn't fit everybody.
Speaker 3: They do a really good job with that. I mean, obviously, like there are things that some of our developmental like coaches will tell us, but for the most part, they kind of they kind of let you be your own coach.
Speaker 1: If that makes sense, Yes, that's the best way to go, right. Do you feel like you're I know you're young and you're still developing into a big league player, but do you feel at this stage of your career you're starting to become your best hitting coach? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I think that's definitely true.
Speaker 3: I mean, no one really knows your body, no one knows your mind like you do, so it's kind of up to you.
Speaker 2: At the end of the day to sort of figure that stuff out.
Speaker 1: Mike, We've heard about so many of the great outfielders the Dodgers, Saba double A at Triple A. What is the relationship between you and Depaula Zay your hope. I mean, there's so many great young outfielders that you guys are playing together, but in some ways competing against each other. What's the dynamic there?
Speaker 3: I don't think we don't really view it much of a competition as much as we try and learn from each other.
Speaker 2: I think we all do different.
Speaker 3: Things really well, and we're always asking each other questions, whether it's in the outfield or in the batter's box. And it's just great to be surrounded by people like that that you can learn from, whether it's off the field stuff, on the field stuff, So it's just great.
Speaker 1: Is Zay your hope still bench pressing like five hundred pounds every day?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Probably probably a little more than that.
Speaker 1: Who do you roommate with?
Speaker 2: Tulsa Gutierrez? He's a pitcher from Mexico.
Speaker 1: And how's that going? Is he a good roommate?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's great. He's awesome. A bit of a language barrier, but we're getting we're getting used to it.
Speaker 1: Are you starting to learn some Spanish?
Speaker 2: At least pretty good?
Speaker 1: Your Spanish is pretty good?
Speaker 2: Well, not not amazing, but it's it's pretty good.
Speaker 1: That's great to hear. I know people don't realize. I mean, even in this day and age, you guys really have to scratch and claw to try to figure out the living situation in these minor league cities.
Speaker 3: Yeah, especially when you're moving up levels, you're kind of getting different guys and you're getting acclimated to him, So it's it's pretty cool.
Speaker 1: I can I ask you about host Wave Depaula. You guys are going to be in Philly together. We've heard so much about him as well. What's he like as a teammate.
Speaker 3: He's very relaxed, very focused, very funny. He's a He's a funny guy on the field. He's kind of the same guy on the field as he is off the field. Just very relaxed, focused guy, you know, knows what he needs to do, hard worker, just all the he checks all the boxes.
Speaker 1: He's very much into yoga. Have you gotten into hot yoga with him?
Speaker 2: I have not.
Speaker 3: He invited me and I declined. Maybe next off season though.
Speaker 1: Okay sounds good. Okay, Before I let you go, Mike Sarota is our guest. He's going to be in the Futures Game in Philadelphia on Sunday. How much are you going to allow yourself to take it all in, Mike, because you're going to be there before the All Stars arrive, but you're going to feel the atmosphere there in Philly. When do you get to Philly? And how long are you allowed to stay in Philly? Are they kicking you out when guys like Freddie Freeman show up?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think they're kicking us out, honestly, but no, I'm kidding. But we leave Saturday and then the game I believe is Sunday, right, and I think they have the hotel booked until Monday. So but in terms of the atmosphere, I really don't know what to expect from it. I've never done anything like this before, so I don't know what to prepare for. But it's definitely going to be an experience and I'm excited for it.
Speaker 1: I'm not a big leaguer, Mike, but I've been traveling with the Dodgers for the last fifteen years and the Philly cheese steaks in the visiting clubhouse is legendary. I don't know if the chef is going to be serving them up for the Futures game, but if he is, you have to try one of those Philly cheese steaks in the visiting clubhouse.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm going to try for sure. It's one of my favorite foods. So just broke the news to me.
Speaker 1: All right, there you go, you and de Paula. One time I was challenged to eat one of them in less than a minute, and I wasn't able to accomplish that feat. But maybe you can try to challenge one of your teammates.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I'll try that. Maybe Depot will get it to Paula.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's do it. I could see him being able to take it down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's a big guy, so I've seen to meet a little bit in the clubhouse.
Speaker 1: All right, my congratulations on a great start to the year. Congratulations. I'm being selected to the Futures Game and can't wait to see you at Dodger Stadium very soon. And you know I did see you hit a home run on the backfields this spring training in one of the Double A Games. But we never met. We've never met. This is our first introduction. So great to have you on the show and look forward to meeting you in person one day.
Speaker 2: Forward to meeting you too. Thank you for having me