Speaker 1: Saturday midday on what's going to be a very very nasty day. Cold weather advisory and effect from seven o'clock tonight to eleven o'clock tomorrow morning. Snow expected, some times heavy total accumulation between four and six inches. Did I tell you I hate this weather?
Speaker 2: Hate it? Anyway?
Speaker 1: This week you probably saw it. Australia, we'll tell you what took some guts. They banned social media for kids sixteen and under. They become the first country to do that and tell you, I don't know about you. I hope we follow that pretty soon, but at any rate, Australia has implemented a world first law that effectively bans children under sixteen from social media. It places the responsibility for enforcement on the social media companies. That's where be, not the children or their parents. Just some details of the band. The affected platforms the ones you'd expect, Facebook, Instagram, threads, Snapchat, TikTok x, YouTube, Reddit, Twitch, and kick Now. There are some platforms that are exempt WhatsApp, discord, roboox. I don't know about any of these, Pinterest, YouTube kits and Google classroom they're exempt. Okay, enforcement and penalties social media companies must take reasonable steps to prevent underage users from creating or accessing accounts. Failure to do so could result in fines of up to thirty three million bucks American for serious or repeated breaches. They want to age verification on these platforms before you can even get on. And again no penalties for the teens or the parents. And the goal, according to the Australian government, they introduce this band to protect young people from the negative impacts of social media such as harmful content, misogynistic material, content promoting eating disorders or suicide. And boy, we're gonna talk about this a little bit later, cyberbullying, huge, addictive decision, addictive design features. So the Nation of Australia putting the foot down on social media. So you know, I tell you what I say. Congratulations to Austria for doing that and having the guts to do it. And from everything that I've read about this week, there was a massive push from lobbyists and others not to do this. There will be litigation, I'm certain, but at least it's the first step. The social media companies again from what I've read, they poured millions of bucks into lobbying and everything else. To try to stop this from happening, but it did. You know, I've said this before, or make no mistake, I would not want to be a teenager growing up in this environment today. I just wouldn't. And you know you can say, yeah, yeah, yeah, you're an old fuddy dady blah blah blah, but I wouldn't. And I feel sorry for these kids today, and I also would not want to be a parent raising teenagers in this environment. Let me ask you a question, and I've asked this before, when was the last time you drove by an athletic field or you know, even like a vacant lot and saw kids playing baseball, football, basketball, whatever. I don't mean, you know, formal team sports. I mean just a group of boys or girls doing that. I can't tell you the last time I've seen that, And I'm not kidding you. You just don't see it at all anymore because they're all indoors, you know, doing the scrolling things on their phone. You know, I tell you those kind of things that I talked about before, scrub football games, baseball games at nighttime, kick the can. We did that every day when the weather was permitting in the summer, fall and even the winter. And again, yeah, I don't want people saying, well, you know, he's just an old fuddy duddy, always talking about how it was when he grew up.
Speaker 2: But boy, I tell you what it was different.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: The biggest worry that we had was breaking a window at the Hay Memorial Stadium on Lucina Drive, where we paid played. And if you busted a window, that was a big deal. But you know what, it would almost be worth it now just to see that there are some kids out there doing what kids are supposed to do, playing games, working, shoveling snow, cutting grass, and not thumbing through your cell phone. You know, you never see that stuff anymore. You just don't. Kids just don't do that anymore. You know, I'd shoveling snow. I'll tell you what. As early as we possibly could. When I'm getting yelled at by people, we were out there making good money, I mean really good money shoveling snow. I can tell you, In all the places I've lived, I've never had a kid bang on my door and say, hey, mister, you know, can I shovel your snow?
Speaker 2: It just doesn't happen.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: Another example too of kids not socializing anymore. It's the dating ritual. At least when I was coming up, it was a ritual. You had to first of all fight your brothers and sisters for the phone. But before that you had to screw up the courage to call the girl to ask her out, then pick her up the door and meet the parents. Apparently that doesn't happen anymore. You know, people just show up at a mall or a restaurant or whatever. I mean, this is really serious stuff, it is, according to AI, and I think AI hit the name on the head with this one. Research and official health advisors indicate that social media presents a meaningful risk of harm to youth, contributing to a national youth mental health crisis. Studies show a strong correlation between excessive social media use and increased rates of depression, anxiety, poor body image, sleep deprivation, and children and adolescents as well. Here's just some of the key concerns that had been outlined with this use of social media by kids, mental health issues. That's got to be the biggest one. Studies indicate that teams who spend more than three hours a day on social media double their risk of experiencing negative mental health outcomes. The constant viewing of curated highlight reels of others' lives can lead to feelings of inadequacy, low self esteem, social comparison, often exacerbating existing mental health struggles. Brain development basically says that you're on this social media all day, your brain's not going to get developed as it should, and I think that kind of speaks for itself.
Speaker 2: Sleep deprivation.
Speaker 1: I guess there's a lot of kids laying up in bed when they're supposed to be asleep, playing around on their phones, which of course results in sleep deprivation. This one is a big one, and I've had this in my law practice a number of times. Cyber bowling and inappropriate content social media platforms can be then used for cyber bullying and online harassment, which, unlike traditional bowling bullying, can be constant. Additionally, algorithms may feed children harmful content, such as that promoting self harm, eating disorders, or risky challenges. We've seen examples of that just over the last couple of months. Social skills development, time spent on screens can replace face to face interactions, hindering the development of crucial in person social skills like reading, nonverbal cues and empathy. It doesn't really get much worse than that, does it. I think the case is stated pretty well, and social media is also affecting these teenagers'.
Speaker 2: Ability to work.
Speaker 1: There's a lady, her name is Emily Jackis Jaksh. She's an author and she's an HR consultant. She writes extensively on this issue, and she's also the.
Speaker 2: Mother of an eleven year old boy.
Speaker 1: Here's what she writes, pretty basic and to the point, and I'm going to quote her here.
Speaker 2: Let's be blunt.
Speaker 1: Social media is destroying our young people. Close quote. I'll tell you hard to argue with that. Pretty strong, but hard to argue with it. She goes on to say, we've handed had smartphones and unfettered internet access, and in return, we're watching their mental health crumble, anxiety, depression, addiction to scrolling, a complete lack of resilience. It goes on quite a bit, you know. She talks about her eleven year old son. She says, last year, my then eleven year old son was like every other kid. He had to have one of my old iPhones, and I thought I could handle.
Speaker 2: I had a handle on what he was up to, she says, but boy, I was wrong.
Speaker 1: He was begging me for TikTok Snapchat because all of his friends had it. I said no, I'd already made the decision that he wouldn't have access to social media like in Australia until he was at least sixteen. She makes this point, She's right, kids are more tech savty than savvy than we give them credit. For. Her son, she says, set up a TikTok account behind her back and when she found that, she was horrified. Says that that was her wake up call. Now. Ms Jacks suggests four things that we need to do, in her words, to fix this mess. Number one, no smartphones before high school. It's hard to disagree with that. No social media until age sixteen. Again, that's what Australia's doing. We need to and this is kind of a movement that I've seen some action on.
Speaker 2: Phone free schools.
Speaker 1: I don't know how teachers put up with it, the constant interruptions, but you don't need these things in school. And her last point is interesting and I think accurate. She says, give kids more independence in the real world. Let them walk to school, ride their bikes, make mistakes, solve problems, talk to people, let them actually be kids again. Good advice, I'm certain. Okay, Fortunately, you're not gonna believe this. There is some bipartisan action in Congress to deal with this issue. And you might have just heard me say bipartisan action, which we never see anymore. This issue is Taylor made for bipartisan action on this. There's no liberal way of looking at this, no conservative way. The only way to look at it is is the damage and in my humble opinion, the real damage that this is doing the kids. Okay, here's a couple things cooking in Congress. The Kids Online Safety Act KOSA. This bill, sponsored by Senator Richard Blumenthal, a Democrat from Connecticut, and Marshall Blackburn, of course, Republican from Tennessee, has strong bipartisan support, with over half the Senate backing it.
Speaker 2: COSA.
Speaker 1: KOSA focuses on providing miners and parents with safeguards such as option to disable addictive features and opt out of personalized algorithmic recommendations.
Speaker 2: Say that five times fis.
Speaker 1: You know, I don't know obviously that could help, but I think a total ban like Australia is what we need.
Speaker 2: Okay, there's another one, bipartisan.
Speaker 1: It's called the Kids Off Social Media Act COSMA, that was introduced by Senator Brian Schultz, Democrat of Hawaii and our own Ted Cruz. This by bartisan bill was reintroduced May twenty twenty four, ordered reported out by the Senate Committee Commerce Committee in June of nineteen twenty five.
Speaker 2: It takes a.
Speaker 1: More direct approach by prohibiting children under thirteen from creating or maintaining social media accounts. I like that beginning algorithmic recommendation systems for users under seventeen, requiring schools to block social media access on federally funded networks. So there is some action on this, as there should be. Again, it's good to see that it's by partisan. Here's what I think we need to do, and I think we need to do it now. Watch Australia. Keep an eye on Australia, and I'm going to to see how this is working over there. There will be bookoo challenges to it, there's no doubt about it. Probably already has been. But I love the Aussies. My daughter's living over there now, but let them be the guinea pig.
Speaker 2: For this thing.
Speaker 1: I think we need to enact the cosma we just talked about, or I think probably better. No, Kosa is the better one. Cosma, I'm sorry, kids off social media act Cosma is the better one. That's the one sponsored by Ted Cruz and Brian Shatz. So it's a problem. I think we're sticking our head in the sand if we don't realize that it's a pro It breaks my heart to see these kids, and I saw something not too long ago. The average time per day online is like three to four and in some cases five hours. That ain't good. These kids ought to be outside playing shoveling snow mow and grass, playing football, playing baseball. And I don't mean team sports. I mean just a bunch of boys or girls of the neighborhood getting out and doing something. We absolutely have to have some action on this, and hopefully we will.
Speaker 2: Anyway, that's what I think. I want to know what you think.
Speaker 1: Seven four nine, seven thousand, one, eight hundred, the big one are the numbers? Call on Saturday midday? Well, I'll tell you what a lot of people want to talk about this topic. So let's get to it. How's about Steve. Let's talk to Steve.
Speaker 2: Hey, good morning, Steve morning, How are you. I'm good? What you got for me?
Speaker 5: I just had wanted to get your thoughts on the you know, the social media band. What impact do you think that would have on you know, getting a political message out from you know, either side really, but since there's a you know, a recent surge in the Republican side of getting that message out, do you think that would have a big impact?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 1: Not, And I'm talking about a band for those sixteen and under. Actually Australia's is under sixteen.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 1: Uh, you know at sixteen obviously you can't vote. There's some people that want to make at sixteen. But I don't think it would affect what adults do politically online at all. This is all about kids, and it's all about tearing the kids away from their damn cell phones.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I just thought since there was like a big, you know emphasis on indoctrinating kids one way or the other, you get a head start, you know with the messaging ads and stuff.
Speaker 2: They might and I unders contact with.
Speaker 1: I do understand that, but I don't know. I mean my thought is, let's kind of see what happens in Australia. I mean, they're the guinea pigs. But boy, there are experts everywhere that will tell you that social media is really harming our kids. I don't think it takes too much to figure that out, but you know, we'll see what happens.
Speaker 4: By I agree.
Speaker 5: I have the same issue with my kids as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that's like I say, you know, Steve, I'm glad I'm not raising the teenager now. I mean, there's so much pressure on him, especially young women too. You know, they're compared to people that are on social media, and I don't know, it's just a lot, I think, but I guess we'll have to see.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I appreciate sure feedback. That just popped in my mind when I was listening to your topic this morning.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Steve, call anytime, all right, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 1: All right, let's talk too. How's about Barry up in Miamisburg. Hey, good morning, Barry, Hey, good morning.
Speaker 6: What'd you got when you and I were in college and in high school? If we wanted to, we could bring in a tape recorder and record the lecture. Do you remember that?
Speaker 2: You know what?
Speaker 1: I didn't do it, but I do kind of remember some people doing it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, some of us who had really poor not taking skills, did it right. I was one of them. Since then, they have banned tape recorders. They're trying to ban phones that are being used to record. My question is not so much phones are disturbance. Who cares that the kid next to you is playing Candy Crush. It's not a thing. My question is what are the schools and the government trying to hide. What don't they want the parents to know their teaching.
Speaker 2: That's a good point, it's a very good point. Let me address it.
Speaker 1: Uh, there have been proposals we talked about them a couple of years ago on this show, whereby somebody put this idea forward.
Speaker 2: In a classroom, you have a PA system.
Speaker 1: I guess that's ancient terminology, but you know it ought to be set up in a classroom. I think that the teachers are their videotape in the classes, videotape that and it can be watched by only by parents or guardians of these kids. That lets teachers know, hey, you know what, you're gonna have to answer to somebody if you start spewing all the garbage in the indoctrination. That would take care of that. Of course, the teachers' unions don't want to have anything to do.
Speaker 6: I'll never allow that because they don't want you to know.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 6: That's what's all about. The government doesn't want you to know what they're teaching their kids, and they're you candy crust or another game as an excuse boo boo.
Speaker 1: Well you know what, and I guess I understand what you're saying, Barry, But I mean a huge problem.
Speaker 2: And if you look at it, I think you'd agree with me.
Speaker 1: Is this whole social media for these teenagers and you know, we got to do something, I think and I guess we'll have to watch Australia to see how it works there.
Speaker 2: Well, you've heard my few things.
Speaker 1: I appreciate it. Thank you, Barry. All right, let's see. Let me just say something first. I see where Barry's going with it. You know, he wants to have kids be able to record teachers. And I'll tell you I can see the benefit in that, I really can. You know, his teachers got to know that somebody's watching them. I like my idea better. You know, either audio tape or videotape them. Well, you know when they got to hide, really and you could make that where the only people that have access to that are the parents, that's it, and the teacher obviously.
Speaker 2: But I guess we have to see how that goes.
Speaker 1: U two problems there, the whole social media problem and then obviously the indoctrination problem.
Speaker 2: Hey, let's talk to Keith. Hey, good morning, Keith.
Speaker 4: Hey, Mike, how are you. I'm good, big fan of yours. The prosecutors officuely needs more people like you in it right now.
Speaker 2: Thanks.
Speaker 4: But my thing with the social media ban for kids is, you know, one, I agree with the problem. Social media is a problem for kids, but that's a parents' job to do. And the last thing we need to do is hand over power to these companies to regulate us, and you get Democrats a weapon to use against Republicans. Like, honestly, Republicans stand for free speech right now and they need to stick with that message otherwise they're gonna be a blood bath in the next election. Well, so I think, you know, you look at like what's going on in Europe, what's going on in Australia. You know, in Australia, they're not banning Blue Sky, which is the most liberal platform out there. And so I think your idea is great. You know, one, get rid of cell phones in school. I'm down with that, and I think too with that, say that, you know, we're going to videotape these classrooms so that the kids can have access to the information if they want to record it, that may be able to get around for the for the teachers. I think, you know, right now, Republicans are seen as the free speech party, and I think they need to focus on that, and I'll you know, honestly, they need to pass some of these regulations that Trump is put in place, get some of the executive orders made into law, and stop blocking the judicial nominations, because that's right now, the Republicans are not doing anything to differentiate themselves from what's going on in Europe or from even the Democrats at home.
Speaker 2: You know, they're going crazy in Europe.
Speaker 1: I thought I saw something this week where the UK they're actually locking people up for putting stuff on social media that the government doesn't like.
Speaker 2: That is frightening. I mean, in a lot of look at it.
Speaker 4: I mean, Mike, look at the numbers. It's insane, and honestly, you know, if the lawn must think about it, what you will if he wouldn't have bought Twitter and made it free, like a lot of this wouldn't be out there.
Speaker 2: In the public sphere.
Speaker 4: And look at look at the numbers of people who have been incarcerated in UK for online posts and harassment and that type of thing. And it's through the roof, and it's only gonna get worse, you know. And now they want to start a war with Russia, and that's you know, I'm not a fan of Russia by any means, But do you think that the immigrants are gonna be the ones that go fight that war? No, it's going to be the you know, the native population. And the governments in Europe right now are out of control and they have an agenda.
Speaker 1: They're going down to crapper and the President is not shy about pointing that out. And he's right, He's absolutely right. I see your point, Keith, and I appreciate you.
Speaker 2: Let me know it.
Speaker 4: Hey, thank you, Mike big fan, Okay, thank you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, And Keith, he makes a point.
Speaker 1: If Republicans hancho this thing, and it looks like, honestly from what I've read this week, that it is truly bipartisan. Probably about the only thing I don't know that I agree with US Republicans losing credibility on free speech if it's limited to kids under sixteen.
Speaker 2: It's just something that if you look.
Speaker 1: At it, and I don't have kids any I mean I have kids, but not young kids anymore. This is really this problem is at a crisis point where I think we're gonna lose a whole generation of kids if something isn't done about it. I mean, it's just you know, and I know every generation says, well, this generation coming up is nothing like us, blah blah blah.
Speaker 2: I get that this is different. I mean, it just is.
Speaker 1: Kids are not socializing. They're not outside playing football, baseball, basketball with their buddies. You know, they're not going on bike hikes some locations. I didn't want to let my parents know where I went, but at least I was doing something outside. I don't know, I just I think it's a really big problem. We got a perfect setup with Australia. Let them do it. Maybe take a year or so and take a look at how it's working out for them. Hey, let's talk to Patty. Hey, good morning, Patty, Morning Mike.
Speaker 7: I haven't heard anyone touch on the subject of why aren't these parents taking control of these kids? When my mom said no or my dad said no, you didn't go against them. You did what they told you to do, and if you didn't there was a consequence. There's no consequences for these kids today.
Speaker 2: I got it.
Speaker 8: They do what.
Speaker 7: Girlever they want and there's no consequences because you might hurt their feelings.
Speaker 2: No, I got that. I'll tell you what.
Speaker 1: That wasn't the case in my house and wasn't the case in my neighborhood at all.
Speaker 2: But I do understand that. And the.
Speaker 1: Person that I quoted, I'm trying to find her here. You know, she had an eleven year old kid and the kid had her old iPhone. She took it away from him and gave him a flip phone. Yeah, it does have to start with the parents, and I get that, but I don't know. There are many that think, and obviously, you know, whatever the legislator is in Australia thought that, hey, this is such a bad problem. Yes, parents, obviously we need your help, but we got to do something.
Speaker 2: I guess that's the thought. I don't know.
Speaker 7: Well, you know, this this all broke down, Mike when it came to the family unit breaking down.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 7: You know how many kids today have a mom and a dad that sit and have dinner every night. If I'm in a restaurant, now I'm a senior citizen. If I'm in a restaurant and a family sits down, the first thing you see is all four of them take out the cellphone. Ye I have no problem going to that table and say, listen, Before you know it, these kids are going to be out of your house and you don't even know what color their eyes are.
Speaker 2: That's a really good did you speak up though?
Speaker 8: Oh yes, I always do.
Speaker 1: What what?
Speaker 2: What's the response that you get from some of the parents.
Speaker 7: Some of them just look at me and smile, and some of them say thank you.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 7: And if there's a family in a restaurant where their children are well behaved, I always compliment them because I didn't go out to dinner to put up with your brat running around my table.
Speaker 1: I love it. I love Joe my mom, God rest her soul. She wouldn't have tolerated any of that crap.
Speaker 3: I mean, no way, no, I don't.
Speaker 7: I don't tolerate.
Speaker 6: I love children.
Speaker 7: I've got five grandsons. My youngest grandson is fourteen, and he is so smart on that cell phone, but he also has a life outside that cell phone. We have a date every Saturday night. We go out. That cell phone is put away.
Speaker 2: Good, good parents, not to do that.
Speaker 7: It's gonna start. It's gonna start the home and we got to quit putting all this crap on the government. Take responsibility for your children. You had them, they didn't ask to be born.
Speaker 1: I get it, I get it. Thank you for the call, Patty. I'm bumping up against the news.
Speaker 2: You know. Yeah, I hear what she's saying, But I don't know. I guess.
Speaker 1: I just think that the problem has become so acute that maybe it is appropriate for the government to step in and give parents a hand. I guess because the Emily Jackis was her name, the HR consultant that I was quoting. She makes the point that, man, these kids are tech savvy.
Speaker 2: They can get.
Speaker 1: Around all this stuff. So, you know, I don't know, We're gonna have to wait and see. I just kind of wanted to open the discussion on this. I do want to watch closely how it works in Australia because I just think something's got to happen because we're losing a generation. Hey, we got to take a break. But I do want to tell those people that are on hold and somebody that might want to be a part of the show. I have open lines from ten thirty to eleven o'clock, So seven four nine, seven thousand, one, eight hundred, the big one are the numbers if you want to be a part. Mike Allen, Saturday Midday. But before we go, I want to let you know Jayannis Heisel up next. I believe she was on the ground in Minnesota this week with all that craziness. We'll talk to Janis when we get back from the news. Mike Allen, Saturday Midday.
Speaker 9: It's the season for connecting to our community, our traditions, and each other.
Speaker 2: That's why Alta Fiber is here giving you peace of mind. With internet you can.
Speaker 1: Do news radio seven hundred WLW Mike Allen and Saturday Midday second hour of saying Well, I'll tell you what we've got. Increased investigatory action relative the unbelievably massive fraud, multi billion dollar fraud many think the Somali situation in Minnesota. Also, the Minneapolis City Council and their infinite wisdom acted this week to actually strengthen the ordinance to help illegal aliens at the expense of regular Americans. Here to talk about that as someone who's reporting on it, she's been on the ground there, I belie leave this week. Our friend from the Epoch Times, Janis Heiseel Janis, thanks so much for calling in.
Speaker 8: Well, thank you. Yeah, if you can call it the ground, it was the snow covered ground. It was pretty dark and snow and cold there. We think we haven't met here all Minnesota. Winner is not for.
Speaker 1: The faint of heart, really, But you're home now. Are you going back next week?
Speaker 8: Or actually probably not because there are some things I can do online, Like there's a medium I'm gonna watch online. But I was on the ground talking to people going to the council meeting. You just reference where they ended up passing UH a revised version of the ordnance that makes them a quote unquote sanctuary city, which the Trump administration has sued Minneapolis as well as the state of Minnesota over these sanctuary policies where they're protecting illegal immigrants from UH, the enforcement action they're not allowed. It's it's interesting, it's like a fine line. They're they're not allowed to imped the federal agents, but they're not cooperating with them either, So that's that's the fine line there.
Speaker 1: But there's nothing about impeding them or interfering in inter rest.
Speaker 2: They just kind of walk that up to the line. I guess, yeah.
Speaker 8: They do not they're not allowed because then, you know, Pam Bondi has threatened that they would be prosecuted.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know, and I saw too in the research they already had a twenty two year old ordinance that explicitly reflects the city's values, I guess, values of preferring illegals over regular Americans. But hey, that's my editorial comment, I suppose. But they've actually had something on the books for twenty two years. They must have been one of the first in the country.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Actually, a number of the people who spoke at the meeting that I covered on Tuesday use the term a progressive beacon to describe the city of Minneapolis. And I actually was talking to a number of people who were not at the meeting, including a senator state senator, and like, you know, every single person who spoke at this meeting, they were like I think thirty six people spoke at this meeting, all of them in favor of beating up this ordnance. And I said, just everybody in town supports this. Do you know if anybody's against me? Because if they are against it, they won't say so publicly. Because there is a culture there, according to him, of people who express an alternative viewpoint that isn't progressive are going to be docks, you know, threatened their family, threatened, their jobs, threatened or quote unquote worst as he.
Speaker 2: Says, nice, nice, Well that's typical the left.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, they know everything, their position is right, never listen to anybody else.
Speaker 2: But it still haunts you off. Though they did.
Speaker 1: They also talk to about the mask issue of because I've read something that they thought that wearing masks which protect the police officer, the ICE our contrary to the quote values close quote of the city anything on that janus that you can recall, a.
Speaker 8: Number of people who spoke at the meeting did say they they didn't think it was right that the ICE ations were allowed to be masked. They said that the ICE agents should be arrested by the local police, which I think is kind of interesting because the last time I checked the US Constitution has a supremacy clause that outlines that the federal government outranks the states and or the city. So I thought that was kind of an interesting cake, especially because the number of the people who spoke at the meeting were wearing masks, ostensively COVID masks, like those health masks. But so they're saying it's o key for them to wear masks, but they don't think that the police should be able to wear masks. So that's that's literally the type of thing I was encountering.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I thought I read somewhere too that there were in urging people to where is I wrote it down going out in the streets and blowing whistles during these ice investigations and stops. Do you recall that being a part of this too, Janis?
Speaker 8: Oh, yes, One guy said that he doesn't leave his home without a whistle. The whistles are supposed to a I guess annoy the police that the alert other immigrants that ices in the area stay away.
Speaker 2: Gotcha.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's really great, you know, really a help to law enforcement. I say that tongue in cheek puts them on a harm's way even more than they already are also you mentioned and you wrote an article about it, the increased investigatory action relative to the multi billion dollar according to some scam going on there with the Somalian community.
Speaker 2: What's the latest on that, Janus, Well.
Speaker 8: Just yesterday Scott des sent the Treasury Secretary issue the statement saying that they're about to announce some new regulations where the money transfers going from the United States to Somalia are going to have additional reporting requirements and that the I r S is involved. There are certain businesses, money transfer businesses who are going to be alerted that they are getting un notice that they're under investigation for transfers that may not be on the up and up. Now outlined, and it's a little hard to explain verbally, there's this money transfer system that is it dates back in years and years years. It's an informal way.
Speaker 2: To Yeah, what is that, Javis, As best as you can tell.
Speaker 8: Us, Well, the way it works is that say that I want to send money to another country, I contact this intermediary and he has a second intermediary in the country where I went to send money. I give the money to my guy and then he just contacts the other guy and goes, hey, I promise I'll settle up with you later if you give will you give money to the second person the person that I'm seeking to give the money to give the money to a person as long as they give a correct password, give them the money, and we'll settle up later between the two of us, so the money doesn't actually go overseas. The person who is in the foreign country provides money to the second person recip intended recipient as long as that person has a correct password. And apparently this has gone on for years, and there are legitimate uses for this. However, it is a way to avoid detection. Some people say there have been enhanced requirements for reporting any kind of money transfer businesses ever since the Patriot Act, which was passed right after nine to eleven to try to clamp down on terrorist networks because of the September eleventh terror attacks. So that's kind of in the nutshell.
Speaker 1: How it works, gotcha. Yeah, I'll tell you what. This thing just keeps getting bigger and bigger this week. And I know we just talked to you last week, but are you hearing anything more about the investigation that I guess specifically where they're at now. As far as the dollar amount, I know it was estimated one billion, possibly more than that. Because of the whistleblowers, I guess the question, what have you learned new this week that we didn't already know last week?
Speaker 8: Well, the whustle blowers actually have estimated that it could be up to eight billions.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 8: And the new additional information that I'm working on currently is that it's not just Somalians, though though it does seem that there are a high percentage of the cases are Somalian suspects. However, I found out that guess what, the second largest population of Somali's, the second only to Minnesota, is right here in Ohio.
Speaker 6: Oh.
Speaker 8: Really, we have the second highest number of Somalis. And there was there is an attorney whistle blower who has come forward saying that there is some significant fraud here. I haven't had a chance to interview that attorney yet. I just found out about this last night, and so I'm going to be looking into this. I'm going to be doing a story that talks about it's not just Minnesota, although it does appear to be that Minnesota is leading the way, so to speak. I've been speaking to lawmakers in Minnesota. I've talked for four or five.
Speaker 9: Of them now.
Speaker 8: One of them told me that they're trying to get some of the money recovered by like, for example, some of these people bought property in Kenya with these allegedly ill gotten games from the welfare fraud and even own a bakery here in Ohio. The taxpayers of Minnesota now own a bakery in Ohio as a result of fraud, according to this one legislator. So I haven't looked into that deeply yet. I literally just found out this information yesterday. So I literally have five six different stories I am trying to pull together. I mean, I could probably write stories for the rest of this year and probably next year about all of this, and especially because there are other states now involved but that we just haven't heard about, like Ohio. I don't know the extent of it here in Ohio, but apparently there is some. And given that it's the second largest population of Somalies. I mean, I have nothing against Themali. They don't know Somali people. In fact, I talked to a few in uh who actually spoke English.
Speaker 2: It was hard to.
Speaker 8: Find those who did, but they were, you know, they were nice to me, they spoke to me. But when you come from a country that is viewed as the world's second most corrupt, it does kind of affect what you think is acceptable. Perhaps, sure that that's the theory about what's driving this is they come from a country where corruption is kind of an everyday thing and and it's a struggle to get by and you do which can whatever.
Speaker 2: That might be, I get that, I do.
Speaker 1: If you heard anything more about what Tim Wallas is up to. I know he made some statements and it looks like people are lining up to run against him for governor. There was one Republican and from what I was hearing, it looks like he may have a primary challenge by a Democrat. What are you hearing if anything about that? Janus, I mean, that guy's got to be on the run somewhere.
Speaker 8: Yes, Well, yesterday he did hold a press conference where he revealed that there was going to be like an integrity zar, so to speak, who would oversee, you know, fraud investigations and kind of try to come up with different ways to prevent fraud. But from what I saw a lot of comments online from people saying, you know, where were you years ago? When the whistleblowers were trying to tell you about this. There was also as attorney was quoted, excuse me, it's saying that that the people would quote, the highest echelons of state government had turned a blind eye to what was going on for years. This stuff. This didn't pop up overnight. I did one story that indicated that I found concerns about this and investigations about some of this dating back like ten years.
Speaker 1: Wow. Yeah, there have been what I think about seventy something indicted and either pled guilty or had been found guilty by a trial.
Speaker 2: Is that accurate? Correct?
Speaker 8: And so there's there's just so much going on. It's it's really hard to keep up with. There are multiple federal investigations, not just the Treasury and the I r S, but also doctor Oz's Medicaid Department for lack of a better term, and the Small Business Administration is part of this as well. And that's so there is it sounds like to me a full court press going on from the Trump administration and walls. The governor is pushing back against that. He's you know, saying that you know, it's because Trump is racist, that Trump is pushing this because he's racist and that that was his response yesterday during his news conference, which lasted for.
Speaker 2: Like an hour.
Speaker 1: Yeah, racism, charges of racism, the last refuge of a scoundrel. It figures that he would say something like that, I mean, are you hearing anything that potentially he's vulnerable? I mean you would think, I guess in any other state he would be. But who knows about Minnesota. Are you hearing anything on that?
Speaker 8: Well, the people who are saying yes are a Republican, right, so we you know they they have, you know, a a biased perspective for sure. However, you know, it does seem like that there is this simmering sense of people are not happy, you know that their taxes are going up. Yep, because it's not just the Somali fraud that's part of that. It's that they have a lot of unfunded mandates for social programs and they put all these requirements out there, and then the local governments have to increase property taxes and other types of taxes for the citizens. For example, while I was at the Minneapolis City council meeting, they came up with some new legislation where if a homeless encampment has more than twenty people they will be providing. The city will be required to put in Portajohns sanitation stations, get medical care for people, et cetera, et cetera. And where does that money come from?
Speaker 1: Yep, well, I think they think it grows on trees. But hey, we're out of time. Janis as always, really appreciates you filling us in, and we're lucky to have you.
Speaker 2: I mean, you're on the ground there.
Speaker 1: And you got the whole thing tied down, so I hope we can call on you again.
Speaker 8: Of course, I love talking to the local audiences. This is home for me.
Speaker 2: Okay, good, thank you.
Speaker 1: Janis all right, Janis Heisel Epoch Times man, she is all over it. I will remind you that she was singled out by none other than Newt Gingrids praising her reporting on this particular story. And I guess it doesn't get any better than that. Hey, we got to take a break, but we're gonna flip things a little bit here when we come back. We're going to talk to Evan Andrews of SINCEY favorites a lot of great, great gift ideas. I have used the service before. My sister lives in Sedona and she wants some Cincinnati stuff. So we will talk to Evan when we get back, and from eleven o'clock to eleven thirty that will be the open line. So again, if you're on the line now and you want to hold, I promise I.
Speaker 2: Will get to you at eleven. Mike Allen, Saturday Midday, Progressive Commercial Nose Trickers Connect Mike Allen Saturday Midday. Hey, I tell you what.
Speaker 1: It's that time of year again. You all know what I'm talking about Christmas and if you have some out of town relatives, as I do, a good way to tell them Merry Christmas and that you love them is to get them some Cincinnati food. Here to talk about it is Evan Andrews. Evan is with Sincyfavorites dot com. They got about everything under the sun there, Evan, thanks for coming up today. Oh thanks for having me tell us a little bit about sincey favorites, what you guys offer, how people can take advantage of it if they would like to.
Speaker 9: Well, you got a call soon, yeah, or get on the computer and go on to Sincyfavorites dot com and order right away. Okay, of course, Montgomery and you know our family, my in law start to Montgomery in back in nineteen fifty one. And this is kind of evolved from us packing and shipping our ribs and barbecue sauce to shipping Skyline Chili Creators, ice Cream, Glear's, Getta, Lorosa's Pizzas, Saints Francis Pizza's, Pine Club, you name it, we've got it, and we can pack it all.
Speaker 2: We do everything to order.
Speaker 9: We don't do like some other companies or they have these little set kits they pack six months prior and they have them in the freezer. We pull everything to order, so when you order, you can pick and choose whatever you want, or get one of our standard sets and go from there.
Speaker 2: We do it all to order. It sounds like you got just about everything.
Speaker 1: Mentioning talking about off the air about Pine Club, I haven't been up there in a long long time, but man.
Speaker 9: It's a lot of good steaks, great steaks. You know, we're blessed in this city. We've got some great, great unique food items. Yes, sir, and I would say this town is pretty loyal. No matter where you live now, you always want that taste to home. No, it's a great question. No question about my sister. I had mentioned to you.
Speaker 1: Lives in Sedona, and I've used your service quite a bit over the years.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: I think I'm gonna hit it again this year because you know, I mean, her and her husband both from Cincinnati. They want some Cincinnati food.
Speaker 9: It's funny people say, you ship Glear's Getta, how much do you? How much do you sell? I said, We're going to have close to fifteen thousand one pound rolls of Getta going out just in December.
Speaker 2: It's a lot. You had mentioned that people better act quickly.
Speaker 1: Is that I mean, is this something that if you're like me, you can do the day before Christmas a couple of days before, or is it a deal where you better get it in now?
Speaker 2: You better.
Speaker 9: We like to have it in the queue for now to plant it out. But the last day that we will ship will be December twenty third, for the twenty fourth, but you're at the mercy of FedEx making sure they get it there, and I'd hate for a Christmas present not to arrive on time. So we were telling everybody we want to make the December twenty second, or really our last push that's on a Monday.
Speaker 2: That gives people plenty of time we've we've got a week and a half. We're good.
Speaker 1: I wanted to ask you, what would you say is your most popular item that people want? And I know you have different combinations and things, but you can also kind of do it uh on a basis where you just pick it out yourself. But what do besides Montgomery and ribs? Of course, what do people really want?
Speaker 9: I will tell you the number one, of course, is will be our the Montgomery and Ribs combined with Greaters ice cream. You'll get four slabs of ribs and two pints of Greaters ice cream. And then people will add our baked beans to it, our mac and cheese to it. Then they'll start adding Skyline chili. We've got canned, We've got the frozen, We've got the new Chicken chili. Then you've got on the other side, people love Lo Rosa's pizzas. They love they love that it is too, so you can start picking and choosing and matching up what you know what makes your family happy. So that's those are our number one sellers. And then then you've got the people on the dessert side. They love schnecking. Remember the old Virginia bake.
Speaker 2: I heard you talking about that. So I've never had it, but I've heard about it.
Speaker 9: People used to line up at the Virginia Bake in Clifton and they would line up well. When they decided to stop doing business, the Buskin family, Dan and Brian Buskin talked to the owner. They got the recipe and they're making the original Virginia Bakery schneck and we'll send out a couple thousand schneckins this month. People load up their freezer and they keep them. They keep them for a couple of months. They're they're fabulous. I can't believe I haven't had that yet. I'm gonna have to give it. It's decadent. We have another little company we're helping out called the North College Hill Cakery. It's a mother and a daughter. They've got the most wonderful they call them. Ooey gooey buttercakes you can't go wrong. And Bonbindery Opera cream cakes. Of course we have them. We've got the cervads, carrot cake, and apple pies and cherry pies and pumpkin pies.
Speaker 2: So got everything. You got it covered. You mentioned Skyline chili, the chicken chili.
Speaker 9: I've not had that yet, have you I have, and I will tell you they did a really really great job of matching the flavor profile. It does taste a little different, it's chicken versus beef. But they really did a great job. They spend a lot of time effort to make sure they got it right.
Speaker 2: It is great.
Speaker 9: I gotta try it. But you know how people are, I know they want to stay with the original.
Speaker 2: I wonder what the thought was.
Speaker 1: I'm sure obviously there's a demander they wouldn't have done it, but I don't know. Maybe chickens are supposed to be a little more healthy.
Speaker 9: Well, I think it's the higher protein level and I've seen people are looking for that, and it's a little bit different, just slightly different flavor profile. But it's still great. I had about two weeks ago. It was terrific.
Speaker 2: Ah.
Speaker 1: Great, Well, I have to try that too. What else do you want to tell everybody about it? How can they take advantage of this website? How they would get in touch with not you personally, but just just go to Sincyfavorites dot com. Okay, and that's the easiest way to do it. Just go online. You can place a corporate order.
Speaker 9: We've got a special corporate tab where you can download from an Excel file or right from your context, goes right into our database, into our system. It's very, very very seamless real. It really is terrific. It's so some We have a good friend Willie talks about him all the time, Wayne Carucci. And if Wayne Cruse he can figure out how to make an order, anybody can figure out how to make it.
Speaker 2: He hasn't met me yet. I'll tell you what. It's easy. I struggle.
Speaker 1: So if I go home this afternoon, which I very well may do, and bang out an order for my sister in Sedona, uh, she will get it.
Speaker 9: By Chris, there's no doubt he'll probably. I think Monday's locked out. We've got over a thousand shipments going out on Monday. So Tuesday, Tuesday or Wednesday, and Sedona will be a next day air delivery service, so she'll get it one day. We'll pack it up on Wednesday and it'll be there Thursday.
Speaker 2: Sounds good.
Speaker 9: Anything else you want to say, no, no, just we're blessed to be in a great city of Cincinnati, where we've got wonderful, wonderful homemade products absolutely and people that move out of town want them and you're there.
Speaker 1: You're there to give them that service. Appreciate you coming up and letting us know, and good luck with everything. Thanks Mike, appreciate it, Thank you, thank you. Hey, we got to take a break, but we'll be back.
Speaker 2: Mike Allen. Saturday, midday.
Speaker 5: Apparently mother nature is deciding to press the snow button.
Speaker 2: When will it arrive?
Speaker 5: Need to keep it here for the latest from yours Severe weather Station seven hundred w l W.
Speaker 2: Your ticket to.
Speaker 10: Big savings is that big blue envelope in your mailbox val pack.
Speaker 2: It's printing with deals.
Speaker 1: From midday, we moved things around a little bit. I had Evan on at ten thirty. Well, I'll tell you what after listening to him and since he favorites, I'm hungry, you know. And like I said, I've used the service before and I'm going to use it again. I have a sister out in Sedona and it's really great. And you know what, Cincinnati people, when they move away, they still want Cincinnati food.
Speaker 2: Great gift.
Speaker 1: I think you ought to check it out anyway, As promised, I'm going back to the phones here.
Speaker 2: Thank everybody for hanging on too.
Speaker 1: Again, we do have open lines from eleven o'clock to eleven thirty. At eleven thirty and talk to our friend Peter Bronson. He's got a new book out just in time for Christmas. I'm about three fourths of the way through it. It's really good. We'll talk to Peter at eleven thirty. Hey, let's talk to Louise in Marie Mont. She's been hanging on forever.
Speaker 2: Hey, thank you.
Speaker 11: I'm Mike.
Speaker 2: Hi, Louise. Thanks for having me Mike.
Speaker 11: That's a hard act to follow after that food for you guys. Way, I want to switch geared to Mike and address this unfortunate incident with this coach of the Michigan team.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 11: I want to start out by saying I am certainly non attorney, but the company for which I work for close to four decades provided me so much sexual harassment training. I feel it like I have a PhD in this tackey. So that's what I want to address. And if we look back, this whole sexual harassment started with Clarence Thomas and Anita Hill. Remember that that's when it started. That's when they started training us every year. The attorneys came from out of town. This that and the other, and then we get to proceed up to the Bill Clinton Monica Lewinsky. Well, all of a sudden, that didn't you know, sexual harassment never came up. And as you know as an attorney, Mike, sexual harassment is whenever it's a superior subordinate relationship. There's no distinction. Once that situation is there, it's considered harassment. Now, I have a great deal of pity for this coach and his family, and I've been really troubled by this and praying for this family that he could get this family back intact. I mean, his life has turned upside down. But let's look at the female in this situation, which they're now calling a victim.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what, I don't know any of the facts. So if you could enlighten us on that.
Speaker 11: Okay, Well, it's a coach of the mission, she can team, very well respected coach and found out that there was a two year relationship with one of his subordinates. Now, this woman her salary increased between twenty and thirty thousand dollars since she began this affair. Now, being in the workplace, Mike, we all know these situations are toxic, they're unfair, they make everyone else suffer as this woman progresses up in the organization, makes more money than them. It's just a toxic situation. And I don't know. I just feel that the world has to be aware of these types of things and stop acting like the female is the victim. Don't forget this coach went to her house and threatened that he was going to take his life. Well, the first call she made was not to the nine to one one to try to save the man. Her first call is to her to her attorney. If the school is probabis. I can tell you, Mike, from my experience, the organizations never released the female in this situation. They then treat this keep that female there, treat her like a China doll. Everyone else in the organization suffers, and you know isn't treated the same way this person is. This is a really bad situation. So I think you need to study up. I thought, yeah, it was pretty recent. It just happened with the past couple of days.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, and there was some uh, some undercurrent of something gonna happen.
Speaker 2: It did happen.
Speaker 1: I am gonna bone up on it, Luise, but I really appreciate you bringing us up to date.
Speaker 11: Right, Okay, Mike, have a good Christmas. If I don't get to call in.
Speaker 1: Before that, you too, please try to call though. I love her, She's a great caller. Yeah, you know, I don't know the facts of that situation. Again, I'm not without sympathy for the coach. Uh. I had thought, just listening to it that perhaps it was a situation where maybe she was a minor or an intern or something.
Speaker 2: But we'll have to see what comes out.
Speaker 1: You know, a college, especially like Michigan, they're not gonna want to, you know, put up with something like that, so they'll pull the trigger, I suppose, and they did pretty early on him. But I have sympathy for everyone involved in that situation. Hey, we can get a quick one here. How's about r J? Hey, RJ? You got two minutes, buddy?
Speaker 2: How you doing good? Are you good?
Speaker 3: Call? Call you about the Abrego Garcia case. I think you've heard all that. Yes, he was released from the tension I saw, and the media seems to be treating him like he's a free to hostage.
Speaker 2: Oh of course.
Speaker 3: Interesting. Uh, And I'm just wondering what's the status of his of his situation, because I thought he was in the process.
Speaker 4: Of being prosecuted.
Speaker 3: By uh, you know, the federal of the Feds. And I just wonder that's still on, isn't it. I mean, he's he's freed temporarily, he's still uh the you know, he's still possibly going to get you know, tried and for this, for this smuggling issue.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And that's my understanding too.
Speaker 1: I just I heard it break yesterday, obviously remembered the name. Uh. But the prosecution is not going to go away. I guess he might who knows what he'll do, but that prosecution is not going to go away at least. I think it would be highly unlikely that the US attorney would dismiss it.
Speaker 3: I think, I think what happens in these cases is it is the hope is that it takes a long time for him to get to to trial, right, and the case and a new you know, maybe a new administration comes into comes into office after the president is is the longer there isn't it? And and and the uh maybe the Democrats win. I hope that doesn't happen.
Speaker 2: Please decide to drop the case. Yep.
Speaker 3: I think that's the hope.
Speaker 1: It's I don't think it could be you know what, there are too many uh, grants of pardons clemency on both sides of the isle, I think, And you're right, a different administration would probably see it differently, but we're just gonna have to wait and see. Uh.
Speaker 3: But that's that's the case of all these and all these all these situations really right, And that's my concern. Is a waste the time it takes is something they rely on, I get it to avoid uh, you know, having to take responsibility for these situations.
Speaker 2: I get it. Hey, unfortunate around of time, r J.
Speaker 1: But thanks, thanks for the call, Thanks for the subject too. Yeah, I'm gonna have to bone up on that and see what the deal is. Hey, we got to take a break for the news button.
Speaker 2: We get back. I'm going right back to the calls.
Speaker 1: Mike Allen, seven hundred wl News Radio seven hundred WLW. Mike Gallon Saturday Midday closing moments of saying, well, I'll tell you what. Cincinnati's favorite author one Peter Bronson. He's out with a new book just in time for Christmas. His new book is entitled Magical Mystery Tour, Murder, Mystery and Buried History. It's a collection of five short stories. And also there's a section in back I think about ten different historical places that Peter has found out about that would be good places to visit. I'm definitely going to take him up on it. Peter, thanks for coming.
Speaker 10: In my pleasure. Mike always good to be with you appreciate it. Hey, just kind of give us an I outlined it a little bit. But is what the book's about? Okay, well this time. In my previous books, I've done longer form stories about the Cincinnati during the Civil War, or the mob in northern Kentucky, or the first settlers in Cincinnati.
Speaker 2: But you know what my favorite Peter Ronson book is I think probably behind the lines the three Yeah I'm one riots. I shouldn't get going on it. But is it still for sale? Oh? It is, Yes, you can get that on my website.
Speaker 1: The only, the only, fair and accurate account of those riots. And it's aftermath.
Speaker 10: Oh, thank you so much, you know, and it's it's timely now with the city of Cincinnati paying people.
Speaker 1: To riot, yeah, to the tune of about eight million bucks. Unbelievable, only in the city of Cincinnati, only Cincinnati.
Speaker 10: But anyway, back to the book, so this one, I'm doing a different approach. I'm doing five short stories. They're all in the same kind of wheelhouse that I like, which is very local Cincinnati, southern Southwest Ohio, stories about our history. Things that that kind of are in the category of when you read that, you go, who knew? I know, who knew? I know that we had a grave robbery in eighteen seventy eight when the son of a president was taken from his grave, you know, night he was buried.
Speaker 2: I like local history, try to keep up on I had no idea. I mean that great. Can you kind of.
Speaker 1: Give the listeners just that story in particular, just a little bit about what it's about.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 10: So William Henry Harrison, our ninth president, had a son, John Scott Harrison, who was unique in American history because not only was he the son of a president, he was the father of a president, Benjamin Harrison.
Speaker 2: And he was a congressman.
Speaker 10: Yes, yeah, yeah, So John Scott Harrison in his older years, he was very respected, beloved. Grandfatherly died suddenly in his sleep. The family goes to Congress Green Cemetery, which, by the way, is right across the road from the William Henry Harrison Monument. And it's one of those places on my history tours that's all that that it's a great place. It's just really John Cleve Simms of the Sims Purchase is also buried there. Okay, so back to the story, John Scott Harrison is buried, His family mourns him, does a service by the grave side, and the next day they come back very next day for another funeral of another young man that they knew that was close to their family, and they look at their father's grave and it's been opened, it's been torn apart, and the body is gone. How outrageous would that be? Absolutely? I mean, here is a son of a president. But in those days it was not uncommon for these guys. They were called body snatchers. They were called grave robbers, one of my favorite terms. They called them resurrection men. And they would come and steal a body and they would strip the clothes and jewelry off and take away the gold, teeth, whatever they could harvest from his body and sell the clothes. So if you're looking for a bargain, beware of bargain. Hopefully they wash them. Well, I don't think so. Yeah, I think they probably reaped.
Speaker 1: But these people that are stealing the bodies, correct me if I'm wrong. They were students the predecessor, I guess of you see medical school.
Speaker 2: Yes, well, so these guys were.
Speaker 10: It was a regular profession to be a grave robber and their main client, of their only client in most cases, was the Ohio Medical College. But the ring that was stealing bodies in Cincinnati had such a reach. They were stealing bodies all over central Ohio and servicing Columbus Cleveland all the way to ann Arbor, and that's where they found one of the bodies that was taken from Congress Green Cemetery in ann Arbor.
Speaker 2: I mean, it was unbelievable.
Speaker 10: And these guys would sell these bodies to the medical students because in those days, nobody donated their body to science, so they needed fresh corpses to practice on. Practicing on people that were under anesthesia was frowned.
Speaker 2: Upon, but they did it nonetheless.
Speaker 10: I mean there were just the ethics and the morals of the medical profession in those days is appalling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I had no idea. I had no idea that it was going on locally here.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, tell us, I know how but tell the listeners how that ended up.
Speaker 10: Well, John Scott, Harrison's son took on the responsibility of finding the body snatchers who took his father. He hired the Pinkertons from Chicago to come assist and detectives from Cincinnati police, and they found a report that was in the Inquirer, one of those little gospy items, that said that a strange, long sheet wrapped body shaped object was unloaded in front of the Medical College in the wee hours of the morning. And so they went to the Medical College. They searched all of the floors. When they got to the top floor, they find a pit that is a shaft that goes all the way down to the first floor, five floors, and there's a rope in a winch. Yes, yeah, And they start turning the winch. It up comes the son of the president. He is completely stripped of his clothing. He's been cut open so that the body could drain. It just horrified. Yeah, And at first they didn't know if this body was their father. And then they took it off the rope and laid it down and the son.
Speaker 2: Just lost it.
Speaker 10: There's his father, yep, And he was about to be dissected and yeah, cut into parts.
Speaker 2: They would. It's just a horrifying nobody.
Speaker 1: And like I said, I follow a local history to the extent I can't. I don't think anybody knew about that at all, you know, until you've started to write about it. Also, probably my favorite and there the Black Widow serial killer. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I actually recognized some names in there. Oh did you good? Yeah? One of them Walter Hart.
Speaker 10: Oh yeah, Walter famous case Harness detective.
Speaker 1: Heart Pharmacy is and has been forever at the corner of Glen Way and Cleeswarsaw, that right, independent Pharmacy. I'n't been in there in years, but when I did go in there, they had a bust of Walter Hart. I don't know what his obviously the Heart family, but exactly what the relationship was. And then when I was in the police academy, they told us about he was killed in the line of dude.
Speaker 2: Yes, what a sad story. I know he was. He had been working with Detective Tom Ferrager. He must have been something.
Speaker 10: Oh he still holds the record for the most cases cleared and solved murder cases. And those two probably saw stuff that we just would never want to see and would never recover from. Heart finally had enough and took a desk job, and unfortunately he stopped at a bar on his way home from work one night after he'd taken this desk job to get out of the line of this this holorifying stuff, and arm robbers came in and herded all the clients, the customers into a restroom. Well, Heart was carrying a weapon concealed and he came out of the restroom and started shooting, and that's how they killed him. Yeah, I mean that what a crazy courageous thing to do, you know, as a cop, I know.
Speaker 1: But but there's a little West Side connection there. Yeah. Also out called Dudley Alcohol. Yes, that's a name that is pretty prominent in Cincinnati judicial circles. And of course he was the prosecutor and he was a judge. Yes, Pete out Cault was a long time magistrate here. And the reason I mentioned it is out in Sharonville on Mostella Road is the Reserve Center. Oh yeah, yeah, I was in the National Guard, right, that's well in Army two Army was in the one thirty fifth jag Detach named after out call yep and they got.
Speaker 2: A big plaque to him and everything. So that was kind of cool to do well.
Speaker 10: And you know, that was one of those little things that is so fun about researching history. Because I was doing this thing about the serial killer and big Tom Feriger and I look in and I'm thinking that prosecutor, let's take a look at him. So I started digging into and I find out this guy Dudley Outcault.
Speaker 1: He was.
Speaker 10: He flew in World War One with Eddie Rickenbacker's hat and the ring squadron, which had the most celebrated aces in the entire war. He came home, he served in Rickenbacker's pit crew at the Indy five hundred and even drove some laps at the end.
Speaker 2: This is our county prosecutor. Unbelievable.
Speaker 10: And he was such a cool guy.
Speaker 2: And how he.
Speaker 10: Died, Oh, and how he died so sad. He was a great pilot. He went back in World War Two enlisted again. He had to overcome a health problem. In the day that he was cleared healthwise, he signed up to become part of the Army Air Corps and he was ferrying B twenty four I think, and he was right near Washington, d C. Almost to the airport when the whole thing exploded and he was never found. He just was vaporized.
Speaker 1: And they don't explain that in the thing that I haven't been at the reserve center in years. They didn't explain how he passed away. I told Peter alcohol and I maybe he's a grandson, great grant. He's retired now and he kind of the family knew about it. I knew about the plaque and everything like that. But it's just kind of fun when you're reading something like your history books and you see something that, hey, I.
Speaker 2: Know where that is. Yeah, yeah, but can.
Speaker 1: We I'm gonna make sure I give you enough time, dude, say where we can get your book? Wanted to ask you if you could finish the story about ms Hahn and.
Speaker 2: What oh that was interesting.
Speaker 10: So she was the first serial killer, although they didn't call them serial killers back then, just a sensational murder in the late thirties, yes, thirty eight, thirty seven, thirty eight.
Speaker 2: She was.
Speaker 10: She probably killed more than fourteen sixteen people. And so she would cozy up to these elderly, lonely German immigrants men almost exclusively, and pretty soon they tell their friends they had a new girlfriend and they were so excited they turned over their house and their savings and the next thing you know, she comes over and cooks for them, and what do you know, they died. Well, it might have been the arsenic that she put in exactly, she was poisoning. And that's a horrible, horrible death. It's just wow. I couldn't believe it. And so she was finally caught and it was done with probably one of the very first cases of forensic medical science. And the Cincinnati Police had one of the first in the country, that's right, collaborations with the UC Medical School and their Department of Forensics, and they teamed up to solve this case. And it's really stunning how it's like CSI. Way before CSI yep, nineteen thirty eight.
Speaker 1: There were four I think victims that were tried in Amum County and he was she was convicted of all.
Speaker 2: Of them, I believe, uh huh. And she died in the electric chair. She did.
Speaker 10: She was the first woman to be put to death in the electric chair in a while.
Speaker 1: And just it's a fascinating story. It is just the I don't know looking for the right word here, that the lack of empathy, her heartless victims.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you're right. They were all old men.
Speaker 10: All lonely, sad old men who missed Germany. And one of her tricks was to come and knock on their door and say she was a long lost niece, right, who had discovered they had some kind of inheritance coming from the family in Germany, and she was here to help them get it.
Speaker 2: And so she Oh, she was just what a piece of work.
Speaker 1: I know, Wow, your favorite story out of all of them, if you cared.
Speaker 10: To weigh in on that, you know, I kind of really liked doing westerns. Yeah, I always loved westerns, and I really liked the story of James W.
Speaker 2: Denver, a Civil War general named after it.
Speaker 10: The city of Denver, Colorado, is named after a man from our own community who grew up in Wilmington, Ohio, who knew and he led a wagon train on the Oregon Trail, which would be incredibly courageous in those days, and he went out for the gold Rush.
Speaker 2: He fought a duel.
Speaker 10: In this duel, he killed a newspaper editor that come a little close to home.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, but this editor, this.
Speaker 10: Editor had a chance first shot missed and Denver fired in the air to let him have a second chance at life.
Speaker 2: And he said, no, I insist we continue this duel. Wow.
Speaker 10: And Denver said, okay, if that's why you want it. And Denver was a crack shot.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, I mean, that's not the guy you'd want to be coming up against it.
Speaker 10: No, No, his picture is just it's compelling when you look at that picture of him, just a guy you would not want a trifle.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 10: And he also became the governor of the Kansas Territory during Bleeding Kansas, right, which, if you know your history, was the dress rehearsal for the Civil War, and he encountered all kinds of brutal massacres and raids. And one of the worst of the brutal psychopaths in Kansas at that time was John Oh Boy. John Brown, who is elevated as a hero in the abolitionist community, was a psychopathic murderer. He killed dozens of people, and he did it just in horrible ways and all in the name of God.
Speaker 2: At the time.
Speaker 10: For him, he was a diluted nuts yep, cold blooded psycho you know what.
Speaker 1: And it's just so much good history in here. Two final questions, got a couple of minutes left. What's next if you know or care to let us know? And second, how does someone.
Speaker 2: Get the book? Well, I'll answer the second one. First.
Speaker 10: I'm gonna actually I'm doing a signing today at Joseph Beth Booksellers in Rookwood, and I'm going to be there from one to three, so come on by and I can personalize your book if you want to give one to somebody for Christmas, and all of my books will be there, so there's that. I'll be there from one to three at Joseph Beth Booksellers. And then also if you want signed copies, go to my website which is Chili Dog Press, and there's still plenty of time to mail those out before Christmas.
Speaker 2: Right also available at all the other.
Speaker 10: Bookstores such as Barnes and Noble and so forth, and on Amazon.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 10: I encourage people to support the local bookstores. I like to see that. I also like to see sales come to my website because I can stay in touch and let people know right away when they have a new book coming out, and they seem to like that. And as I was telling you before we started a lot of people that are my customers on the website are mailing these books out of state to Cincinnatians who miss Cincinnati and love reading about our history.
Speaker 1: Well, and you keep them coming too. Got about thirty seconds? Do you care to say what you're working on now or well?
Speaker 10: One of the things I've found is when I do these books, I learned so much. When I go out and do speaking, so I'm available, I'll be doing a lot of this all winner for all kinds of groups, service clubs, women's clubs, book clubs, whoever gathers. I go out and do a presentation on my series of books, and I learned the most amazing stories. Raise a hand in the back and say did you know? And I'll be who knew? That's a fantastic story. Yeah, So I jump in and I write that down, and so I may. I kind of like this short story thing, right, gives me a chance to tackle a lot of topics. And I think people like reading short stories because they can kind.
Speaker 2: Of dive then and jump out.
Speaker 1: Every one of your books is an easy read. Magical history tour. I think I referred to it as magical mystery tour.
Speaker 2: A lot of people do that. I think that was the Beatles.
Speaker 10: I hear the Beatles Magical Mystery Tour song every time I say it.
Speaker 1: Great book, easy read, be a great Christmas gift. Really appreciate you coming in my pleasure, Mike. It's always good to be with you. I love the work you're doing here. Thank you. I appreciate it. Hey, listen, we're out of time, which means I'm out of here. Be back next Saturday for Saturday Midday. Mike Allen seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: Do you own a small business. A seismic shift is coming. It's time to get super short coming soon.
Speaker 5: Texting roles are recurring to me to text marketing messages.
Speaker 9: It's a frequency, various mesage dat reads me apply for reply