Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Basse or Dodger Talker. Welcome back to Dodger Talk. David Vasse with you until eight o'clock tonight here on AM five to seventy LA Sports and the Dodgers have had a lot of great players come through their doors since Andrew Friedman took over. Specifically one of them that kind of changed the culture when he arrived and they acquired him. That's the one and only Chase Sutley. Chase is out here at Dodger Camp. Great to see you back out here, David.
Speaker 2: Great to be out here and great to be talking with you.
Speaker 1: Oh, come on, you know it. I'm the only guy that keeps you humble.
Speaker 2: That is whatever you need. Let's let's wrap. Do you okay?
Speaker 1: You have this reputation when you were playing that obviously you were an intense player. Do you feel like now post playing where people still feel like you're unapproachable.
Speaker 2: The ones that don't know me. Yeah, I believe so.
Speaker 3: I felt like on the on the field, I needed to have a certain persona and something to get me to play my best, and that was to be take it extremely serious and have some type of intimidating features, so that I felt like that gave me a slight advantage on the field.
Speaker 2: Off the field, not not quite so much.
Speaker 1: You do things with a purpose, not only going against the competition, but did you feel the edge that you brought was something of a strategy to keep your teammates also, you know, focused on the task at hand.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: At a young age, I was always taught to try to try to lead by by example.
Speaker 2: Do it on the field. You don't necessarily do it by what you say. So I try to lead that way.
Speaker 3: And it really depends on the on the on the personnel and the team. But I feel like if everyone kind of has that similar mindset, it can be it can really create a winning culture.
Speaker 1: We've talked about this a few times. People know that you went over the pond for three years. Are you permanently back in the States and are you are you ted lassode? Have they turned you into ted Lass? Or you still baseball?
Speaker 3: Chase Utlely still still baseball, but I have become a football fan is what you would call it over there. But yeah, I really enjoyed our time living over there for three years. Had a blast with my wife and my kids, and saw all of Europe really showed them something that they wouldn't necessarily see. So we're happy that we did it. But we're also happy to be back, happy to be back in southern California.
Speaker 1: Are you back with the Dodgers because you were a vital part after you stop playing a part of the game planning for the Dodgers, do you feel like you want to get back into that role.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm here. It's being training. I'll be around.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately, you might have to see me a little bit more throughout the course of the season. But yeah, obviously, as we all know, amazing organization Andrews Andrew is the best out there. So to have the ability to to learn, to continue to learn, absorb, interact with the current big league guys, maybe make some relationships on the minor league level.
Speaker 2: I'm I'm just here to help.
Speaker 1: Where you at in your baseball life or your post playing. Are you still searching for where you fit wanting to be part of the game or do you feel like you want to be in the evaluation part of it or do you still feel like maybe there's a place for you in the dugout somewhere.
Speaker 2: I was still still trying to feel it out.
Speaker 3: You know, I, as we mentioned, I have a young family that I enjoy being around and enjoy spending time with. So right now I'm happy with what we're doing, which is spending some time with with with the Dodgers and the front office and their and their players, but also.
Speaker 2: Have some time for my family. So right now we're in a good spot.
Speaker 1: When Zach Grienky played for the Dodgers, he was very famous in making trades and trying to pretend to be Andrew Friedman or a guy in that position. When you played, did you evaluate or gauge the temperature on players that you were playing against, playing with? Do you feel like you have that knack for evaluation.
Speaker 2: To be honest?
Speaker 3: Yeah, At a young age, no, you're just your focus on yourself and trying to figure out how to how to improve and help your team win. But as you age a little bit, you have a little bit of different perspective. So yes, you definitely recognized talent on the other side, good and bad. And yes you're always, you know, making mental cues of guys that you hope at some point you have the ability to play with the guys that could possibly hit make.
Speaker 2: You better, and I mean Andrew does.
Speaker 3: Andrew and his team do a pretty good job of finding the best guys out there.
Speaker 1: I've been doing this too long. I remember the day that Chase Utley arrived in the Dodger club house. It was in Houston in twenty sixteen when the Dodgers acquired you from the Phillies. You mentioned Andrew Friedman from where it was when he traded for you to where he has the Dodger organization. Now, what has he turned this into?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean the current team last, I mean the current team the last few years is pretty pretty talented. But I think his vision early on was to one identify what was going on in the organization and see if there's areas to improve, and slowly but surely he's done that year after year, and now they're in a pretty good spot with with the talent that they have, with the young guys coming up, they're they're in position to win for for a long time. I know they've from a division standpoint, they've they've won a lot over the past ten years. They've I think they've created a culture here that has a winning vibe and these guys are most of these guys are superstars, but that they work like they're hungry rookies, which you don't see very opt in.
Speaker 2: But there's a reason why they're so successful.
Speaker 1: There's so much focus on the payroll the last couple of years. But does Andrew and his staff not get enough credit for what you mentioned the culture and be the infrastructure to support players to be their best.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I mean, obviously talent helps to win games, but you need a common theme within in the clubhouse, at least in my opinion, to sustain that success over time.
Speaker 2: And they've they've created that. They've they've created that a while ago, and it's and it's lasting, and it's it's good for it's good for these guys that.
Speaker 3: Are, you know, in the middle middle of their career to recognize what they need to do. But it's also great for the young guys coming up seeing how hard these superstars work. I think, I truly believe that this culture will last for a long time.
Speaker 1: Do you appreciate these group of players because I remember when you played, you were on a time schedule for yourself to prepare. Every minute was accounted for. It similar to show Heyo Tani and you know, Mookie Bets and these guys. Does it look familiar to you where these guys are on such a schedule to prepare to play every night, It does.
Speaker 3: Look familiar, and it's it's it's great to see it. I mean, these guys know what they need to do and get ready. Everyone's got a slightly different program. At the end of the day, They're all have a program to get them ready for the seven five start. Yeah, and that's what's what's most important. So again, I can't reiterate enough, but like for these young players especially, it's bering training that are seeing these guys work. It's it's good that they can see guys with amazing work ethics. I've seen the opposite where young prospects, young players see you guys that don't have a work ethic like these guys do, and they think that's the way to do it, and it's not.
Speaker 1: Chase Sutley is our guest. He's an LA guy. Long beach u c LA eventually finished his career with the Dodgers. I'm sure you can appreciate this. Yesterday, pat Riley got his statue and he talked about the business of the NBA business of sports, where guys come and go. You had such a lasting effect on your teammates in Philly, but we got to see it here in LA with Corey Seeger and key Y Hernandez, among others. Do you still keep in touch with those guys? Do you do they reach out to you for any sort of advice?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I still keep in touch with them.
Speaker 3: I mean, obviously everyone's kind of spread out a little bit, but yeah, usually, like we text back and forth when there's when there's something something to talk about that that's important.
Speaker 2: I appreciate that they used me for.
Speaker 3: Advice, but these guys, these guys are now starting to become grown men.
Speaker 2: But I'm always there for him, Chase.
Speaker 1: Before I let you go, I've wanted to ask you this. I told you I have bi weekly conversations with rich Hill, and he somehow Someway still brings up the burn of the way the twenty seventeen World Series went down. That was your last Major League game, Game seven of the seventeen World Series. A lot of people, me included, felt like you guys were robbed of what should have been yours. How have you come to peace with it? How have you processed it over the years?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, it doesn't make you feel good about it.
Speaker 3: I'm happy that everything has come out and the attention was put on on that. I mean, it's I think it's help for these guys now that we're a part of that. It's helpful that they have a few world series under their belt since then. I was able to get one in Philadelphia. So had I not got that, I think I probably would have a slightly different and in But yeah, we didn't feel good about it. We we prepared it, just.
Speaker 2: We didn't prepare for the for what happened.
Speaker 1: You don't seem to be a guy that just continues to stew over things. Do you ever think about it before a guy like me brings it up.
Speaker 3: No, I haven't thought about it for a while, to be honest with you, it's kind of in the past. Those guys, a lot of those guys, uh forever will be part of that group and they'll live with it for for the rest of their lives.
Speaker 1: How special was that seventeen Dodgers team.
Speaker 3: It was great because we had a mixture of young and old, and it was a lot of energy, a lot of fun, a lot of trying to figure figure figure it out. There were some growing pains, but overall we had a pretty pretty pretty solid team and to get to that point knowing they had a little bit extra help should make us feel good, although it doesn't necessarily.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, but Chase Suttley, it is a champion of a person, champion of a player, and Miguel Rojas is right there. So everybody has a story about Game seven where they were watching it. You said you were in London for three years. Where was Chase Utley watching the World Series? Specifically Game seven, the ninth inning, the home run and the incredible play Rojas and Smith made in the ninth inning.
Speaker 3: I was in la I was on my couch with his few friends watching it and biting my nails and sweating and nervous like pretty much everyone else was. But I mean, I don't think there's been a better World Series. Obviously it helps that your team wins, but overall, just the different moments, the Dowerde moments in that game you just don't see happen very often, especially in one particular game, and it happens to be Game seven. So I mean, these guys are preparing right now for that moment, so hopefully they get to do it again. But yes, I was on my couch sweat and bullets.
Speaker 1: I feel more anxious watching the replays of the infield in play with Rojas throwing out kind of philefa at home. How difficult is that for a second basement in that especially in that moment, a.
Speaker 2: Tough play, it's I mean, it's a do or I play. The game's over, it's not.
Speaker 3: And I mean maybe he's an amazing defensive specialist out there, so he can kind of do whatever he wants. And it's his his instincts that made it happen. When you first see the player, like ooh, he's backed up on the ball, but he was able to pick it cleanly and fire it. But that's what makes him so special that he has the ability to put his body in.
Speaker 2: Those positions and still make plays.
Speaker 1: Chase, thank you for laying me tap into you. When you were playing, you always had a time schedule, limited time, and you have so much to offer the game. You have such a high baseball IQ and the Dodgers are lucky that you live in LA and you can be part of this organization to help them grow and be the best that they can be. And you know you'll still come tiger claw over anybody's neck, including mine, So don't get it twisted. He's on the off the Skuys you ever meet. But I feel like I've softened. I've humanized Chase Suttley here right now on the.
Speaker 2: Field, slightly right now, in this moment.
Speaker 1: Yes, do we hug or no hug?
Speaker 2: Still we give, we give high five knuckles. Here we go. Okay, okay, David, but thank you, thanks for having me on. Can't wait to do it again.
Speaker 1: Awesome. Chase Sutley might even come in studio or I might even go to his house to do the show one day.
Speaker 2: You make sure he's going to my house. But we'll see, we'll see.