Speaker 1: Do you want to be an americanio shorright?
Speaker 2: Here we go? Here we go sloanely seven hundred WLW. Very sad and horrible story here. As you know, we had a casualty on New Year's Day, the first shooting of twenty twenty six, and it happened to be an eleven year old girl who was committing the deadly sin in areas since in some aria of Cincinnati of actually playing at a playground. That's a horrible story in a horrible way, horrible thing for any parent or grandparent or family member to go through, but especially on a New Year's Day with a child who just celebrated Christmas. So another shooting at or near Laurel Playground on the West End, if you go back a couple of years, there's a promise to put more cameras up, and cameras are on us specifically in that area because there have been shootings and kids being struck, and the inquirers of Scott Warpman reported the stories when being confusion and contradictions, lack of accountability. If you budgeted the money council did to put those cameras up, how come the cameras aren't up? That is a good question. She sits on public Safety, the Committee of Public Safety, and that would be council member. And I'll be on the Scott Slane Show this morning on seven hundred deble Ota and a happy new year.
Speaker 3: How are you, good morning, Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah. So the mayor said we will spare nothing to put a stop to this after the shooting death of this eleven year old, and it sounds like, you know, that's again more important things to say, more things to say, and giving lip service to this. But if two years ago you on council approved one hundred and fifty thousand dollars for cameras to go up in the West End as part of that four and a half million dollar public safety package, what's going on the camera's up?
Speaker 4: I wish I had a better answer for you, but it appears that there's still work to be done to get those dollars out the door and those cameras installed. So, just to set a little bit of context through listeners, in early September, city Council past a five point four million dollar public safety package. It's part of that there are a bunch of different things, which included one hundred and fifty thousand dollars specifically for cameras in the West. And additionally, there was another one point two million that was meant to be for lighting and cameras broadly city wide. And those are two line items in that bill that I was personally very passionate about because while we know sometimes you know, cameras can't stop a crime necessarily, it sure makes it a lot easier to solve the crime, and in this case, to apprehend a killer, someone who shot and killed an eleven year old on.
Speaker 3: New Year's Day.
Speaker 4: So this is a moment of urgency for myself, for my colleagues, and the mayor and the city manager. We are all eager to get those dollars out the door. And frankly, we're looking to CPD at this moment.
Speaker 3: You know, those.
Speaker 4: Dollars, those at one hundred and fifty thousand for Western cameras, sits within the police budget, and we need to get those dollars.
Speaker 3: Out the door.
Speaker 2: Okay, So that was September of last year. I mean, here we are in January. Should it take that long?
Speaker 4: No, it absolutely should not, and I think everyone should be.
Speaker 3: Mad that it has.
Speaker 4: We should be able to move a lot, especially since you know, council pass that that package at five point four million with the urgency of responding to the moment over the summer when we had.
Speaker 3: A series of incidents as well.
Speaker 4: So if we're moving with urgency, we should expect that of every single person administration, including some size police. Right we are trying to make it easier to prevent crime and solve crimes that are happening. So those dollars are sitting there. My understanding is we need to get with some business owners so we can have permission to put cameras on their property. So you know, my ask is, if you are a business owner in that area and you are willing to have a camera or lights put on your building, email my office let me know and I will make sure since I Police reaches out to you as soon as possible.
Speaker 2: Well, and I'd imagine there isn't a business owner down there that wouldn't go, yeah, I'd love a camera up, no problem, because it affects their quality of life, their business, their bottom line with this crime continuing, and you know it's I guess it's going to take a little bit of time, but it seems reasonable to have this done at least by the first of the year, for sure. And it's not the first time we've had a shooting or violent crime happen around this playground, for God's sakes, And now the end result is because of I don't know, lack of accountability or confusion, contradiction or incompetence or a combination of all of those. You have an eleven year old. It's dead. There's literally bloods blood on the hands of elected officials because of the lack of movement on this project.
Speaker 4: You are not wrong that we need to move faster. I completely agree with the urgency of the moment. You know, there are a lot of questions. You know, the council is asking around why these dollars haven't moved faster. And at the end of the day, you know, actually we cannot turn back time, which is a heartbreaking reality. So from this moment on, it's what can we do going forward? And to me, it's the camera as well as lighting.
Speaker 3: I went down to.
Speaker 4: That playground for the balloon release of the Little Girl and you know, it was round five o'clock, stayed there until after six, So, right, is the sun setting and it's dark. It is not lit there and we know that you know, places that are well lit, especially ones where kids are going to be playing. You know, early evening six o'clock is not that late, but then the middle of winter it's dark out right. We need to have these spaces well lit so that they are states and then you pair that with the cameras to make sure that there's that monitoring there.
Speaker 3: And that's what we need.
Speaker 4: And I'll tell you right now, all council, the mayor or even the city manager, we are all moving on this with complete urgency. So again my ask is if you have owned property in that area and you're willing to raise your hand and have a camera or have lighting, reach out to me my office. I'm Anna dot Albi at cincinnatidshoh dot gov, and I will get you in contact with Cincinnati Police because at the end of the day, like we need a police out there, and if that means going door to door and knocking and asking who's willing to do this, like it's time to do that work.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean two years ago, three well three now we had Dominic Davis killed another eleven year old all the same place ground right, and you know, okay, now, let's get this thing fast tracked. It took till September of last year for you to allocate one hundred and fifty thousand dollars for the camera expansion. We spend a ton of money based on the crime that's happening downtown, on public safety. From a council person's position, an alby, do you look at it going Okay, well we order the money, here's the money, we're going to appropriate it. And then do you just move on to the next thing. And then it's not finger pointing at you or council for that matter. About a simmer Fire council member, I would think we voted and passed something, hand that off to the city manager, the mayor's office or whoever the police department, that there's going to be action on this. Should you have to follow up on everything you guys appropriated. From a funny perspective, hey.
Speaker 3: I'm not here to dodge blamee. I'm really not.
Speaker 4: But typically one council does the voting and the allocating.
Speaker 3: That is our part of the job.
Speaker 4: We have a city manager former government, and we have you know, in this case it's the police chief, but in other departments it's directors. Right, We have a city in theministration, whose job then is to then execute on what we have allocated the vision. Right, So that's typically how it goes. Now in this situation, right, the buck stops with us elected. So I am not going to dodge the responsibility that I can, and I will be doing a better job checking in and making sure those dollars are out the door. In fact, you know, right before Christmas, I had multiple people ask me about the Fusist camera technology, which allows private camera owners to kind of connect their feed in with Cincinni Police. My people come up being like, hey, we want to do this, but we have no idea how So I literally got an email on Christmas Eve back from the assistancity manager being like, oh, yeah, the funds are there, and you know what, I should have followed up them and be like great, we need to do more. So you know, I'm not going to duck and dodge responsibility. Yes, it's true that typically when council allocates the dollars and puts for the vision, it's them the administration's job to execute. But in this case, when it's life or death, I'm going to get my hands dirty and make sure we're in there. Making sure that we get those cameras up, up, gets better in lighting. Those are all urgent, immediate actions.
Speaker 2: Okay, And I think that has respect you for that and saying, hey, listen, you know I we passed uff. It's up to someone else to make sure it's the plant is executed. It doesn't seem fair that you'd have to go back and make sure that people follow your orders. So and you're saying, okay, the buck stops with us elected. I get that. I appreciate that, But where's the weak link here? Who's dropping the ball, who's not doing their job to make sure this money is being spent in those cameras being put up? Who is that on the city manager?
Speaker 3: That's a fair question. I'll say.
Speaker 4: You know, my dad owned a business for forty years and he had a problem solving process and it first started with solved the problem in hand. So the first step here is to solve the problem. So how do we get those cameras up? How do we get the lights installed? So once we solve the problem, we can go back and analyze what went wrong. But I'm here in the immediate moment, which is let's get these up, and in fact, just yesterday coming out of kind of a meeting with CPD and I think the City Manager's office we got a camera tower with lights into Laurel Playground, into that park area, right, So we are in the moment where we are solving the problem and we can go back and analyze after it's taken care of.
Speaker 2: I hope there is, because someone shouldn't have to be covered in this whole thing. I mean, I don't want to speak out of turn because I don't know the anal workings, but it seems like once you approved that one hundred and fifty thousand dollars, it goes to the city manager and then to the police department as well. I can't imagine the cops don't want to get those cameras up. It helps them do their job. Is the week length the City Manager's office?
Speaker 4: No, those dollars are in Cincinnati Police budget, so they're now fully under Sincinnati Police. Okay, area, So now I don't know the bureaucracy within the police department well enough to know who's the person doing outreach to those business owners, right. So again, I'm not in the spot at this moment where I'm trying to pick apart who's exact fault. I'm in a situation now where it's saying, Okay, how do we fix it?
Speaker 3: How do we want to forward?
Speaker 4: You know, So that's that's my priority at the moment.
Speaker 2: Now it might be becau because of the you know, the confusion after Chief Fiji. I mean, when you don't have a direct leader, you've got an interim chief. You know, there's a lot of confusion, a lot of people looking over their shoulder and there. Do you think that contributed this?
Speaker 4: I hope not.
Speaker 3: You know, I don't.
Speaker 4: Again, I don't know the inner workings of since my police bureaucracy not my area of expertise. But again, at the end of the day, right, we know that there's this problem, and if there are people in the West End, and I know the community Council has been kind of speaking a little bit about trying to get these cameras up as well, So email me. I will be that connector at this moment and make sure we get this done. We need to push hard at this moment. And it's not just this one one park, right, I firmly believe all of these play spaces that are supposed to be for kids, we need to make sure that they are well lit, have those cameras so that kids can be outside. Right, It is every mother's grandmother's parents worst nightmare to have their life year old shot and kill well filming TikTok videos and playing in the park. Like how horrific.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you're an eleven year if you're a kid and can't be safe in a public park, I don't have an answer for that. I especially what angers I think everyone listening, Anna, i'llbe is the fact that we had an eleven year old shot and killed two years ago, and here we are again doing the same thing over and over. And when you talk to the city manager or the police department, they can't answer basic questions about whether or not the cameras that you guys ordered in September have been put up or not. We don't even know if they even do we know they even have any footage whatsoever of what transpired on New Year's Day.
Speaker 4: I know there is a camera in the area, I don't know more than that. I would kind of have to direct questions back to the police communications. You know, leader there again, this is clearly a breakdown and kind of getting dollars out the door and Frankly, this is a problem we have across the board with different city you know, initiatives, Right, Council allocates doll and then it can take weeks, months, maybe you know, longer, to get dollars out the door for projects. So when we think about making government work for people, it's got to be a priority for us to cut through that red tape so we can actually get the work done. And so that's something I'm going to be focusing on hard this next term. The second term here is Okay, we can have all the great intentions in the world, but if we can't get dollars out the door to get think initiatives up and running, intentions don't matter for anything, right, So we've got to be able to cut through the red tape and make government work for people.
Speaker 3: Right. Our residents should.
Speaker 4: Absolutely expect that if Council allocates dollars for cameras, those cameras get up and I again will take responsibility for that. We've got to be able to work faster and get things out the door.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But in all fairness to you, Anna Albe and other members Accouncil, whether it's Mark Jefferies or Seth Walsh or Scottie Johnson. The fact of the matter is you shouldn't have to follow about everything you guys passed to make sure it's actually getting executed. And I hope and I think the public deserves quite honestly, and no more so than those in the West End, because you know, we're told two and a half years ago, after the first eleven year old was shot to death, that this is intolerable, it's not going to happen, and we have yet another death, the same age, same situation, same location of something that we told. We're told two and a half years ago that this isn't going to happen again. We're going to put the cameras up, and the cameras aren't up. And I think the public demands that. I think they deserve to know where the problem was. And you know, I know generally folks like yourself don't want to out others, but I think the public deserves that, because if I'm in the West End right now and you're telling me, and the mayor goes, hey, look we were after this one. We'll spare nothing to put a stop to this whole thing. Well you said that two and a half years ago, and now we got another baby dead. I think we deserve to know what went wrong, where the fault was, what happened, and why it didn't happen. And not only that, I think an apologies in order for those in the West End, and specifically if you're West End resident, I is it fair for someone to go, Look, I just don't trust you guys anymore. This is twice now.
Speaker 4: It's heartbreaking, right, And I know nothing I'm going to say to you is going to make a difference to the family, right, I know it, But I think you're absolutely correct. We need, frankly, a full audit of that entire five point four million dollars. We need to know how many of those dollars are off the door, what programs and processes are.
Speaker 3: Up and running because of it.
Speaker 4: I believe, but don't quote me on it, that this month or early next month, the Assistant City Manager over Public Safety APM. Bersina was going to come in and give us kind of a report out on those dollars. So if that's not on the agenda yet, I'm going to be pushing Public Safety Chare Council Number Johnson to make sure we do get that full audit and report out about where those dollars were, because I know last time I talked to this assystem city manager, it was slow to get dollars out the door, which again speaks to the broader process of how hard it is to cut through the red tape.
Speaker 3: You know, how tedious our pecurement processes are.
Speaker 4: All of that. So we've got to be able to work faster, especially in these urgent, critical life and death moments. So I one hundred percent agree we we counsel you. The public deserve a full readout of how that five point four million dollars has been spent already or what needs to still be get out the door and implemented.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, so this is one hundred and fifty thousand dollars of the five point four million that was allocated in September for public safety. That's a small percentage. I'm not smart enough to do that math off the top of my head without a calculator and a slide rule and an advocacy and all, but you probably are. But I look at this and go, okay, well, if we don't know how the one hundred and fifty was spent, how can we trust that the other five five point four and change is being spent properly. You have to go back and literally look and make sure every dollar that you guys allocated is being spent properly or at the very least the plan's been implemented. I mean, who the hell has that kind of time to follow up.
Speaker 4: And that's where we are at the moment, to be honest, and I don't think I don't want to be careful with language. It's not being spent properly.
Speaker 3: Dollars are not being improperly spent, right.
Speaker 4: It's a matter of getting through the red tape and the governmental procedures to actually get dollars out the door, right. And that's so I don't want people thinking that there's dollars going missing or anything like that. That's not what I'm talking about whatsoever.
Speaker 2: It's just that Minnesota, for god's sakes, it's Cincinnati, okay.
Speaker 4: I just I want to be really careful with my language there. I don't want anyone to think something the farious is happening. It's just a matter of cutting through you know, processes here and get dollars.
Speaker 3: Out the door.
Speaker 4: So yeah, again, we need to get an update from the city administration, whether that's the pe interim police chief coming in and giving a report out about how those dollars that were allocated to since my police because a big chunk of that five point four million, and I'm sorry, I don't have the list in front of me was to police over time and other you know, police functions, including these cameras.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: Some of that also was for department transportation getting lighting up around the city. You know, there is other technology in there like the drones expansion and fusis and license plate readers. Right, we do need to know where we are on that securement process. You know, our contracts signed, Have we you know, signed the check our dollars out the door? Have things been implemented? So you know, I am looking now to the city administration for that complete rundown, whether that's from the city manager's offic or from the department heads or in this case the interim police chief to know exactly where those dollars are and have they been spent yet?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. Once again, we have I think the biggest issue facing our government here locally, and I'll be is transparency and accountability, and those two things we get failed yet again. And this is I don't have enough fingers and toes to count how many times I've felt have had that feeling. And I'm sure people listening also going where's the accountability? Where's responsibility when you can't fulfill basic open records requests I mean, Scott Warman, the inquirement to try to figure this out. No one has any answers about how many cameras are up, which ones are working, where the money went, if it was spent, where the documentary. No one knows anything. That's not a good look for city government. And I know you're part of the solution, not the problem, and you're a good again. I appreciate you coming on the show this morning, absolutely.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you so much for the time. I appreciate it.
Speaker 4: And again for everyone listening, I want them to walk away understanding that this council, of this mayor the city manager, who frankly has lost a member for family, two gun virons, we are all committed to making things right, making things better, making sure people feel safe, and this is an overfixed tragedy, and I feel the heartbreak, and you know, my heart really goes out to the family and everyone in the community is acted.
Speaker 2: All right and all the best, and thanks again, for joining me.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you, take care all.
Speaker 2: Right, council member, and I'll be sitting on public safety.
Speaker 6: And you heard it here.
Speaker 2: How many times you say a red tape, red tape, red tape and yet the mayor, we will spare nothing to put a stop to this. And you could have prevented this. And I think the blood is on the hands of I don't know. It could be the police, it could be the city manager's office, could be another entity in there, but damn it for once, how about some accountability. How about hey, here's where the weak link was and name names instead of because if not, you just continue to create the same pattern over and over again. And that is in competence, That is a lack of transparency and account of There's got to be some accountability with this death. Your thoughts five three, seven, four nine under the Big One, Talk back the the iHeartRadio app. If you're extreaming the show there Scott's Loan Show back after News on seven hundred w weld. Scott's Loan Show on seven hundred w weld. We just had a chat with council Member Anna Olby. If you missed, it'll be on the podcast after the show. Great conversation and she didn't pull too many punches here. She is as outrage to the rest of us that we had yet another eleven year old shot at West End Playground where two and a half years ago we were told it's insufferable, it's going to stop because we are going to do something about this, and council spend one hundred and fifty million dollars from more cameras in that area. Not that cameras would stop crime, but from what I understand, there may be one camera, one camera up there and maybe or maybe they don't have evidence. And after what happened with the eleven year old the boy by then, but Dominic Davis, we had on New Year's Day an eleven year old girl shot at same playground and there have been many shootings in and around that same area over the years. We were told by the mayor that he's going to spare nothing instead of put to put a stop to this. But council already did their job. I don't know how much more you can hold members of council be it Scottie Johnson, be it, Anna alb be it, Seth Walsh, be it, Mark Jefferys, Jeff kramer Ding. I can go on and on once they appropriate the money and say here, here's one hundred and fifty thousand dollars specific for cameras in the West End. I don't how many cameras that gets you, but probably a few cameras as part of a five point four million dollars spend on public safety, which has been ignored now for many administrations. It's not a have to ad purevol's fault necessarily that you know, we weren't spending money in previous administrations and putting that emphasis on preventing crime or catching those responsible or committing crime, making it easier for the cops to do their job. I can't help but think that the police certainly would have loved to have those cameras up. And maybe it's because again we're back to this this cluster, you know what, because you fire Thiji and you've got an interim chief and he's still them. Know, we're going to continue investigating as to why we fired her in the first place. We need we need more time to make a case as to why we fired her.
Speaker 6: What.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're going to continue the investigation of why we fired the chief last year into the new year. Does that make sense? Doesn't make any sense to me either, And it's really not an indictment of the interim chief. At this point. You just wonder if that's not exacerbating the problem, and that when there's no leadership as a vacuum, people are maybe not being held accountable as much when you know there's a clear direction for the police department. I think that's fair. I think the city manager has to answer some questions as well. Share alone. If council's job is to allocate the money, should it be there a job to make sure that the money is being spent? I would say no. Maybe a follow up is an order, but you can once you do it, it's in someone else's hands. If you handed to administrators, then administrate it and the end result is this isn't like, oh, hey, we made a mistake. An eleven year old girl is dead. I'm not saying that sure death is entirely preventable, that we could have prevented this from happening, but I'm sorry if you had cameras up there, I don't know if that's a deterrent, but maybe bringing someone to justice, having some enclosure for the family it is somewhat there, but there's blood in the hands of those elected officials that were given the money to do this and didn't do what they were supposed to do. I mean, it's pretty clear of the public in the West End is very, very angry as we all are about this. Hell, I don't live in Cincinnati proper. You may not either, but you hear these stories and it just breaks your heart. Here's an eleven year old girl in a playground on New Year's Day and she gets gunned down by nonsense. It's like the mom that got shot in the crosswalk. For God's sakes. It's just one story after another. And is it going to stop all this crime or prevent it? Probably not. But it's going to be easier to get justice for this family because guess what, Dominic Davis was killed two and a half years ago. I don't think they ever got the shooter there, and I have no idea. I mean, give these families a chance, or give these kids a chance, for God's sake, and get these animals off the street. It couldn't very well be that the same person who shot and killed Dominic Davis in twenty twenty three shot and killed this little girl on New Year's Day and you have one job, let's do it. You know, this is my fierce libertarian streak coming out here, and I wouldn't say that. You know, this is why you have to have private security, cameras and everything else. No government. If government can't do the basics, and I would say public safety is the cornerstone of basic Then if you're a younger voter, because typically younger voters that would be younger millennials and gen zers want more government to take things over, why would you want that If you can't have the basic stuff, why would you want to expand government? Local government at that, whether it's local, state, or federal, have more of that in your life because government programs, I mean always say treat us like children, because you assume that people can't manage their own affairs. But bigger than that, how many times has government consistently over promised and underdelivered? This debacle in the West End is a great example of that. It's a bureaucracy. There's no incentive for them to be efficient, to be responsible, to be accountable. The Inquirer, the paper of record here in Cincinnati, can't get any answers as to one of the money is was it spent? What happened? Do we even have any cameras up? Knowing even has an answer as to did we put cameras up or didn't? We can't even get the open records request or crying out loud, I don't know why you'd want more of that in your life and not less of it. If you guys can't handle the basics, why are we worrying about? You know, we've got to take care of student loan debt and housing on affordability, and the gig economy and wage stagnation and climate change against they can barely. They can't handle putting up cameras at a park, for God's sake, And yet we want more of that stuff. And I get the reasons behind it. And younger generations have different experiences and changes. And I know you saw the two thousand and eight housing crisis and said, well, well, look we had to bail out all these businesses and banks are too big to fail as part of the two thousand and eight financial crisis. If you're a Mellen Hill, right, I get that. Watch your parents suffer. Okay, but what drove the financial crisis? A lack of oversight. I'm not saying suggesting o other mental libertarians and anarchists. Obviously we got no government. But and in my mind and maybe in yours, I don't want a government doing everything for me. You certainly you need to be an officially, need to be a referee and put guardrails in place, because you know, unchecked authority or in checked bureaucracy or unchecked capitalism for that matter, is not beneficial. There has to be some guidelines in place and guardrails in place where that you can do that. But to suggest somehow the government should take all this, Oh, look what happens. They can't even handle putting cameras up in a freaking park. And now you've got another kid dead five three, seven four nine, seven thousand d in Highland on seven hundred WWD high Hi.
Speaker 7: How are you today?
Speaker 1: I'm sure I am just I don't know why, like you's saying, why.
Speaker 7: Are we asking the government to take care of it?
Speaker 1: Why is an eleven year old child out in the dark in a park, A girl with after one child who's been killed there. I don't care how long ago it was. The little girl should not have been out there. Where's the parents?
Speaker 7: How come we're not holding a parent and.
Speaker 2: So you know, I get it.
Speaker 1: They got to work to pay for everything. I understand this, but there has to be rules. And have somebody watched an eleven year old girl has no business in a park at night time. I don't care if it's right outside or door.
Speaker 3: You cannot.
Speaker 7: There's too much going on, especially down the West end.
Speaker 2: See indeed, see, let's be a reason, all right. I don't know where you're coming from, but when I was eleven years old, I was hanging out of parks. I was in the neighborhood. You're eleven years old. If you can't be safe in a park at six o'clock, where the hell else can you go?
Speaker 1: You're dark, you go by the darkness.
Speaker 2: And if there was no no I think I was out at eleven. When I was eleven years old, I was probably out past dark. It's hell. I lived in a part of the country that got dark at three o'clock. I'd never go outside if they were the case.
Speaker 1: Okay, when when my children went to school, they pulled up their pickup trucks and had rifles in the back window, and nobody pulled out that rifle and shot each other when they got in fights. Nobody nobody did that. You didn't even And yes, we have more publicity now about it. I understand times were different than didn't. You also have prayer in school, thou shall not do this, thou shalll not do that. Now, what happens to the idiot that goes down death roat?
Speaker 7: He don't ask for the preacher? Get it over with?
Speaker 1: And and what do they do with the guy that goes and run over the cop? Oh, they're going to let him out.
Speaker 2: He's gonna he's going to go to prison for the rest of his life. But because the.
Speaker 7: Sanity that he should get the death penalty. You have to have force, You have to have punishment that fits the crime, or they're going to keep doing it.
Speaker 2: Well, back to back to back to the little girl though, I mean she's eleven. You I could see if he's six or five or six years old, but eleven o'clock at six o'clock on New Year's Day? You know, are you supposed to I mean, what are you supposed to do if you live in that And again, not everybody in that neighbor is a criminal. You know, it's like a half a percent of the population the one doing this nonsense and this noise, and people are trying to live their lives. Do you suggest that, like an eleven you old should just stay inside all day when it's dark outside. I mean, don't the people who live in those neighborhoods have a right to use the parks and facilities that are put there by the government without fear of being shot today?
Speaker 1: One year old child, It's not like it was years ago.
Speaker 7: It's not like it was.
Speaker 2: Everybody never is. Everything changes, It's supposed to change.
Speaker 1: Well, that's what I'm saying. But when it comes to safety, you can't expect the government. I don't want the government taking care of telling me what I knew, what I can't do.
Speaker 7: Why don't we just go overseas and live with the China?
Speaker 1: You know? I hear over there by the way, China is going to have their women date down when they have their periods.
Speaker 7: What do you think is coming with that? It's crazy?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I appreciate the call. D I gotta get going. She's got a lot to say, D does. I'm not quite sure I agree with the thesis the kids shouldn't be as eleven year old at six o'clock at night in the park. I could see if we were, like, I don't know, four o'clock in the morning, a different story. But even at we're four o'clock in the morning, does an eleven year old deserve to catch a bullet? Does anyone deserve to catch a bullet? The answer, of course says no, unless you're a criminal, like a Rodney Hinton for example. We'll get into that more of speaking of Rodney Hinton later on about ten o'clock, actually a ten oh six, Steve goodins here to talk about his insanity play and what all this means, and that the court bought this whole thing. We'll switch up the topic then after news coming up at ten o'clock, about twelve minutes from now. In the meantime, it's five one, three, seven, four, nine, eight hundred the Big One Talk Back iHeartRadio app to Mark and Wyoming on the Big One. Good Marting, Mark, Yeah.
Speaker 6: Good morning.
Speaker 8: I want to I just listen to this conversation you had with the councilwoman. Yeah, I'm and I'm a little surprised on too one thing. You said, well, what more can they do? But I'm actually more alarmed now after she spoke.
Speaker 7: I mean, she says, you ask about.
Speaker 8: Accountability and this politicians do this, and people that can't be held accountable do this right away while I'm focused on the right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, I'm.
Speaker 3: Gonna accept it.
Speaker 8: But I'm not like, we can't walk and shoot them at the same time and find out why it failed, because if that failed, all these other things that are.
Speaker 3: Going on around you are failing.
Speaker 9: At the same time.
Speaker 8: Someone should be accountable. But they do this because over time people forget.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then you will.
Speaker 8: They won't go back and you'll never get an answer.
Speaker 2: Well, that's that's part of it. I want to know where the hell and I think we deserve especially more so anyone more than anyone else. The folks who live in the West End are around that park, around Laurel Playground where they have kids. It's like, yeah, I need to know who the hell screwed this thing up. And I you know, I appreciate Anna and what she said. It's like, listen, we got to go back and check and see where the money is. You know, the Consol's job is to appropriate the funds to make sure things work and problems get solved. I don't think you should have to go back and check your math and say, okay, now I've got to do someone else's job. And but you're right, is that like, let's start naming names. I want to know where the hell this thing got screwed up in the first place, because you have another eleven year old dad. Two and a half years ago, we were told this can't happen again. Well guess what's just happened again. And the money they appropriated to help solve the problem or prevent the problem hasn't been spent yet. We deserve answers names already.
Speaker 3: And again it's not just the West End people. It's they're talking about one hundred and fifty thousand.
Speaker 8: Dollars about a five million dollar allocation. If this kind of aptitude is going on, what's going on where all that other money was celebrated?
Speaker 6: You don't know because you're not looking.
Speaker 8: And the other second point, and I'll be quick and I'll get off. Yeah, they act like I allocated the money and it's not my research. Any business that has capital expenditures allocated projects set the first question yet, who's responsible? And it's a time bound by when and who's going to report fact that it's done, and you can't track if you're in the city, maybe one hundred thousand projects, but there's something who said this was emergency funding for this.
Speaker 3: You can't tell me.
Speaker 8: City council can't say I need an answer.
Speaker 6: Next week, next month.
Speaker 3: And if it's not.
Speaker 8: Done, where are we going? But they act like I just washed my hands of this because I allocated the money. And again it's people that can't be held accountable, or we won't hold accountable.
Speaker 4: That's what they say.
Speaker 8: If you're in a business, you'd be fired immediately.
Speaker 2: Well correct and.
Speaker 6: Like that.
Speaker 2: That's the point, and that's why. And I don't know if we're coming this because it's again your point well taken about government. I think council members can only do so much. Their job is not to administerate. Once they pass the funding, it's handed off to someone else. But you know there's plausible deniability, Well we didn't know it got caught up. There's a whole bit. But it's back to that bureaucracy. You know, all the steps you have to do and all the hoops you have to jump through under the eyes of you know, public accountability. Uh in doing the right thing with the public money. Takes forever to do. The bureaucracy and the red tape is the problem. But at some point someone has to be responsible as to why these cameras weren't put up after the last shooting, and certainly after September when they appropriated the money. The bigger questions I asked Anna Alby, is okay, well this is one hundred and fifty thousand of five point four million. What the hell happened to the rest of the money. What else aren't you doing? What else aren't you sitting on? I mean, these are great campaign type of things where you go, hey, look what we're doing. We put cameras, great, we voted for camras, awesome, we're the cameras. Wow, we didn't put them up. Well, then, what's the point of all this then? And what do you tell with a straight face to the family of this eleven year old girl who they're about to put in the ground. It's it's unconscionable, is what it is. And it is a pattern. And I don't know if it's true in other cities. I can't speak for Louisville and Columbus, and I can't speak for Indianapolis or Chicago or Cleveland or Toledo, or Youngstown or Dayton, but certainly Cincinnati. You want to know that the people you and trust are doing their job, and clearly they aren't. And all we get from the mayor will spare nothing to put a stop to this. How about some accountability? And I think at the top the biggest problem we have seen, and you name all the problems that we've had, is a lack of transparency and accountability. You know, you can bring up names like Patrick Herringer, and you can bring up the rye, the brawl over the summer and go on and on and on, and the lack of transparency, accountability and someone to say this is unacceptable. Here's the plan, and we've got the plan executed. You can't find it. And yet it's happened again. It's happened time and time and time again, where there's no one willing to step up and say I'm the one who's screwed up, it won't happen again, or holding someone accountable. But rather we get platitudes about how it's intolerable and we're gonna we're gonna stop this and it's not gonna happen again. And guess what, it happened again. How can you be that tone deaf in such a short period of time. It's beyond me. It is beyond me. One more quick one here, let's go to a John and Westwood on the Big one. John, good morning.
Speaker 10: Uh, scott as absolutely city councils fault. If you if your refrigerator breaks and you pay somebody to fix it, aren't you going to follow up to make sure they fix it? It's absolutely counsel's fault. Scottie Johnson's a joke. He was never much of a copy. He was more of a social worker. And every one of them down there has blood on your hands. Not that the government's supposed to fix all this, no, but here's here's the thing. If you're going to say, way, we're going to put up cameras, we're going to do this and that.
Speaker 6: To help the problem, and if you don't do it, then.
Speaker 9: Shame on you. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think the way I look at it rather in the household budget. Because what you said makes sense, I listen to. But but look at this way. Let's say I run company. Let's look at this as a business type of thing, and I have uh, I don't know, I've got service technician and okay, okay, great, here's your truck, here's to what what what? Why didn't you go install this aircan doing? Why do you go install this furnace? That's kind of what happened here. It's like, yeah, well, you got the equipment, you got the tools, you got there, you got all these things. Well why didn't you go do your job? What were you doing instead of doing this? And that's kind of a you know, ham fisted example of the problem. But okay, if it's a business and it's a big company, and certainly the city of Cincinnati is there are people who are tasked with making sure these things are executed. I can be the owner and go, okay, we're allocating this amount of money to this budget for I don't know, marketing. Let's say, and if you decay, hey, I've got one hundred and fifty thousand dollars for marketing. And you go, I thought we were doing I thought we spent money on marketing. Where is it, Well, we didn't spend the money, Well why not you get fired for that? It's the same thing here. The question is who gets fired. Is it the police department, is it management within the is it the city manager. And this is not the first time we've had problems. What about the police. I'm very pro police, but you know, when you have a situation where the chief is in flocks and we still have an interim here, I think that's also part of the problem. And what does that go back to. It goes back to left accountability, transparency and function of those elected, in this case re elected to government. News is next seven hundred WW. Since you want to be an American, we pivot from the issues of the city. I'll revisit this last a suffer. A lot of people want to fire off about the city for not having these cameras up. We appropriated the money for and end result, you've got eleven year old girls shot to death on New Year's Day. Unreal way to start the new year. For sure, we also have this go on. Speaking of violence, Hamlin County prosecutors have decided not to pursue the death penalty for the man who intentionally ran over and killed Deputy Larry Henderson last May. They agree that Rodney Hinton was legally insane at the time he murdered the deputy. He's expected to plead not guilty by reason of insanity. Sometime next week the judge, Judge Luvers, has to sign off on this for more. It's Steve Gooden, attorney at law, and Steve, welcome back. How are you good? I'm all right, but I wish we had better news to start the year. We have an eleven year old murdered at a play ground where two and a half years ago and another eleven year old child, a boy, was murdered. No one has answers to cameras being up there. And now we have the news coming out after what we saw last May at UC's graduation. Here's retired Deputy Larry Henderson working a detail where he's pushing the button operate street lights as people cross across the university campus in order to facilitate graduation. And we know the Rodney Hinton, who was aggravated because his son was justifiably shot and killed by police officers for his role in steel in the car. He decided he was going to get vengeance for his dead son and kill a deputy he had nothing to do with this. He's expected to plead not guilty by reason of insanity next week in the court. Apparently in the prosecutor's offices agreed. That's pretty rare, isn't it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it is relatively rare, but it does happen. You know, I was a prosecutor for many, many years in the both state and the federal system, and you know, we've seen these scenarios, and I think what happened. And I spoke with one of the lawyers who represents mister Hanton yesterday. Apparently the judge actually appointed an independent expert to take a look at him and to render some sort of mental evaluation, and it was this independent expert who concluded that he did have some sort of Mister Hinton had some sort of pre.
Speaker 9: Existing condition exposed.
Speaker 5: They said, both bipolar and possible schizophrenia. He had a diagnosis that went way back before this incident. And they said they in their view, it was sufficient to show that he did not appreciate the wrongfulness of his actions, which is what has to be demonstrated here from a legal standpoint. Now, why this is so frustrating for others, and I'm sure frustrating for the Henderson family, is just you know, it is all based on opinion. You know, the the so called MacNaughton test, which is what most states use, including Ohio in terms of deciding whether someone is not guilty by reason of insanity, and it requires that someone has such a a severe mental illness or mental defect that they cannot appreciate the rightfulness, rightness or wrongfulness of their conduct. Here's somebody who was actually it looks like was functioning in society before this. So it begs a lot of questions does but I will say also in the prosecutor's defense here in Ohio, I mean we have essentially don't have the death penalty anymore. It's on the books, it's seldom imposed. Even if he were sentenced to the death penalty. You know, the governor Dawine is sent a moratorium on the death penalty because of the drugs that they.
Speaker 9: Use for some time.
Speaker 5: So the odds of it ever actually being imposed are slim to none if we're just being honest about it. So at least the one positive thing out of this, and it's a very muted and kind of distant positive thing, is that is typically as part of a not guilty by reason of insanity, at least the person admits the facts of what he did.
Speaker 9: So I mean, at least there will be.
Speaker 5: Some coming clean about what actually occurred that day, and from what we understand, it was just this awful thing where he watched this video of his son, and exactly as you said, he went out in the first person in the uniform, he saw you, he ran over, and it was just Larry Henderson, who I didn't know well but did know and was just just as upstanding and decent a human being as you could have and just an absolute credit to the uniform, who was just killed for no reason at all.
Speaker 2: Just being the wrong place at the wrong time for someone who wanted vengeance. But doesn't that kind of undermine the story, Steve Gooden, that there's some intention there, that there's two distinct competence issues, as you have been told before. One is the competence of sand trial, meaning his present mental state and can he understand the proceedings against him. This focus is more on the mental state at the time of the offense, the past mental state, so not the present but the past. I don't know. If you drive around the city, presumably in your mind you're looking for someone to blame, someone to take out, and an eye for an eye sort of fashion, and then you feel that your son was wrongfully shot, even though he was justifiably shot by police. There's no telling a grieving parent that. But you know, him going out and essentially looking for someone in uniform to kill indicates to me that's premeditated. If it's premeditated, how does that not how does that work then relative to being insane, because you're not supposed to know that this at this time is a crime, and what you're going to do is a criminal in nature. But if you're deliberately doing something and actively seeking one some out for one, understand it took like in the upwards of an hour for him driving around, I don't understand how insanity is play here.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, look I'd be I'd be screaming about this too a bit more. I think if I were certainly fair with in the family or the prosecutor as well. I mean, this is one that just is going to be a very very tough sell to the community for everything that all the reasons you set out, you know, if I mean he did and there's no question and go out looking for someone in uniform, there was a vengeance aspect. And we now know he has been indicted subsequent to his arrest for assaulting a SHARE's deputy up in Butler County, I mean because of you, Because he actually killed a Hamilton County SHARE's deputy who and the Hamilton County deputies run the jail locally. They moved him up to Butler County as a security for security reasons, obviously, and he's already assaulted another uniformed officer there and is unfacing a different fellow the indictment for that. So you know, it also begs the question. In Ohio, it's very very hard to establish what we call temporary insanity. I mean, that's something that really only exists in the movies. It's a practical matter in Ohio. You either have a severe, severe mental health diagnosis that renders you incapable of understanding right form wronger you don't if there's no such thing as temporary insanity. And this sort of flirts with a temporary insanity theory, which is, well, he had this mental illness, he saw the video triggered his mental illness, so therefore his criminal culp ability you know, you know, is significantly reduced.
Speaker 9: It doesn't go away.
Speaker 5: I mean, he's still going to be held in detention for many, many, many years, no matter what happens. Here, but it does, you know, it does diminish it. It takes the death penalty off the table because mentally ill people cannot be put to death in Ohio. And again, as we said, even by a lawyers doesn't matter. But this is one of these things that is going to be very very hard, I think for people to understand and grasp even you know, I think some of the lawyers who practiced in the spaces I have over the years, you know, are scratching their head a bed at this. But I apparently what happened yesterday was that there was a you know, a one of the court appointed psychologists who was supposed to be a truly independent person not representing the state or the or the defense, came in and said, no, he had a pretty severe mental health history prior to all this, and that's what they're hanging their hat on. So right now, with the prosecutor's position, I mean, it looks as though, I mean, the death toll he's already off the table. And I would assume we're going to move into a scenario where, you know, where he pleads not guilty by reason of insanity and assuming that the psychological diagnoses hold up and you know, he's going to be placed into some sort of mental health you know, lockdown mental health facility, hopefully for the rest of his life.
Speaker 2: Well, I would think that's the case. Yeah, you don't know, right, but you know, it seems like he made deliberate, intended choices. It was premeditated for sure. That shows and establishes his cognitive function as being okay at the time. Are there people on death row who are bipolar? I managed a lot of people in prison who suffer from mental illness. We know that as a fact. But even if bipolar disorder is present, I don't know why the prosecutor could argue that that second prong is had met as we talked about. I think that's the frustrating part, not just for most people listening, but especially for the family, because the family had to sign off.
Speaker 6: On this, right, well, you know, don't I don't know that they did.
Speaker 5: I mean, based upon the on the prosecutor statements yesterday, the family, you know, they said, certainly we're not uniform. I think, and in this he indicated on the record before Judge Luber' is that there have been I guess some disagreement among the family, but that they understood. And you know, and again I've met the family very briefly at at the visitation and uh, you know, you know there these are decent people, these are smart, but these are people who are not out for blood that they do want justice here. And that's the problem with this. It doesn't feel like justice. And and you hit the nail on the head, which is almost everybody who ends up in the criminal justice system has some sort of mental health issue. I mean, whether they're dealing with those process trauma and that leads them into drug use, and the drug use leads them down into uh, into stealing. It's always a problem. The issue is what do you what do you do with your mental health problem? You know problems? Do you push back? Do you get help? Do you do you take them more responsibility of not crossing the line into criminal conduct and hurting other people and stealing from people and doing things of that nature. And that's what our system is. I fear is starting to lose because there is this concept of like, you know, yes, everybody has their mental health problems in gr or not goes to by reason of insanity. It was always when I was doing this twenty years ago, was reserved for those very tiny sliver of cases, the great minority of cases where someone was so mentally ill that they couldn't understand what they were doing. And that's a pretty rare thing. Everybody's got problems, Everyone has mental health. Almost everybody has some mental health issue. But at the end of the day, it is our responsibility morally to actually control ourselves into engage in society in the right way. And that's what's getting lost here. And I'll tell you this is something that people are going to struggle with. I am amazed if you look online, if you look particularly on some of the Facebook groups, there are a lot of folks out there who have a lot of sympathy for Hinton. You know, it is not it is a It is a more divided community on this than you would take. But just for my friends in the law enforcement community, I think this is something that kind of makes him sick.
Speaker 2: And again and again.
Speaker 5: I'm not saying that, I'm not saying the guy doesn't have problems.
Speaker 9: He clearly does.
Speaker 5: Like you say, the idea that he sought out someone in uniform sure sure feels intentional to me.
Speaker 2: That seems like cognitive ability to be owise. Yeah, Steve Goodness, there a legal paradox here in that this. Like we know, if I go out after the show and I decided to go across the street to a bar and hammered down like four pictures of margaritas, go out, drive a car, strike and kill someone, my decision to put an alcohol in my body was mine, uh, and therefore it is entirely my guilt, my fault as to that homicide to curR at my hands behind the wheel of a car. Conversely, in this case, we know that in this case, Rodney Hinton was diagnosed as a bipolar in the summer twenty twenty three, well before the offense, and he was prescribed antipsychotic medication. If he choses a lot of people do to get off the drug and not take his prescribed medication that then triggered this episode of insanity, it doesn't the standard hold the same. Like if I choose to drink alcohol, use drugs and I kill someone, that that's my fault. Does that apply in this case? Do you have a duty and responsibility to take the antipsychotic medication that was prescribed to you? And if not, does that not assume guilt?
Speaker 5: Well, you're hitting on something that no pun intended drives a lot of lawyers crazy here, which is is that that is something that Ohio law.
Speaker 9: In a lot of states does not recognize.
Speaker 5: And Ohio law is very very clear on what we call the voluntary intoxication.
Speaker 9: Events or diminished capacity.
Speaker 5: If you go and intentionally diminish your own ability to say, drive a car or something. If you intoxicate yourself voluntarily and you get behind the wheel and you hit it fill somebody, you're one hundred percent responsible. You cannot claim any kind of temporary insanity, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 9: Et cetera.
Speaker 5: But we do know people make conscious choices to go off antipsychotic medications and essentially diminish their own capacity in that manner, and Ohio law just really takes no position on that.
Speaker 9: So, I mean, that's something that at some point the.
Speaker 5: Legislature probably should be looking at, particularly as we see attorneys now kind of in a more robust way using the not guilty by reason of insanity defense. If the person knows they have a middle defect, if it's treatable, if they are on medication, if they're prescribed medication, and they make a conscious decision to go off it and then engage in criminal conduct. You know, it should in some way from a common sense standpoint, it should preclude you from being able to use some of that mental health defenses, some of those mental health defenses, but Ohio law just doesn't even contemplate that at its current states.
Speaker 2: Do you have other states too?
Speaker 1: Are?
Speaker 9: My knowledge almost none?
Speaker 5: I mean, this is sort of a new area in a lot of ways, you know, just you and it's it seems like it shouldn't be because there's so many people that pass through the criminal justice system with mental health problems.
Speaker 9: Uh, but it's one.
Speaker 5: That that really and again, I guess the question would be for for if you're a legislator, you know where to draw the line? You know what if someone's just on on antidepressants you know, which are not truly anti psychotic uh fit meds and and their behavior is impacted somewhere. But I think there are some common sense lines that can be drawn. And that's something that that really I think our legislators should at some point take up because.
Speaker 9: Uh, I mean, it's it's not.
Speaker 5: You know, it's something that that that it does come up increasingly, which is someone being quote off their meds. I mean, that's something that we just know. People talk about that and joke about it all the time. So and those off their meds, some people absolutely need these medications to function in society at all if they have one of these severe diagnoses. So, uh, I don't know, it's just it's a it's a blank spot in the law right now in my states, but certainly a.
Speaker 2: Well it should be address. It's kind of along the lines of elderly drivers. And if you're elderly and you mistake your gas pedal for accelerator and you drive through to kill someone, was oh my, that poor. Well fortunately, you know, they just crashed to the front of the store and I'm glad they're okay. It's a great but you know, again, are you competent to drive? If I did that and I was fifteen, it'd be a different story entirely, and you looked at as someone who should have their license taken away from them immediately. We don't see that with lotily folks. We tend to treat them the kids. I think the same with them mental illness. A lot of this is probably driven by the and rightly so, there's advocates for the mental health community, of which we all have mental health issues at different levels for sure, me, you, everybody, and you know. The fear then is, well, you know, if we do this, then we're going to stigmatize mental ill and then people won't go get the care and the help they need because they're afraid that they're going to get in trouble. We're only talking about from this perspective with Rodney Hitton, we're only talking about four states of mental health. Of course, what we're talking about with him is bipolar disorder, but things like schizophrennie very serious metal. Well, we're not talking about someone who needs I don't know, something for for mild depression or something like their ADHD meds. We're talking about schizophrenia and we're talking about psychotic disorders. We're talking about issues like this, and there's only a handful of them this would apply to. It's not like this is, hey, you didn't take your are your allergy medicine today and you got an accident. It's your fault because you're sneezing. Nothing like that. We're talking about serious mental defect here.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think that's right. Then there's a common sense place to draw on the line, and really we've got to involve the probate courts more in these kinds of scenarios. I mean, look, I mean, I mean the analogy you used, I think is absolutely dead on. One of the toughest battles I've had personally in years was two years ago, and I had to take my dad's car keys away, right, you know, in his mid eighties and was diagnosed with dementia and want to drive everywhere, you know, all over town. He's getting lost, and it was like, it's just a matter of time before he hurts himself or someone else. And luckily I had a power of attorney that had been executed and I got some legal advice and I took every you know, I had to shut it down because I felt that I was going to have a moral, if not legal responsibility at some point for where it was going to go. And a lot of people you have, you see in these scenarios. I don't know what the case is with hinting, but you know, typically you have a family member who is involved in the treatment in some way, and sometimes they have some legal authority through the probate court and particularly in terms of making sure they have their medication. So you know, that's got to be part of the equation is you know, you know who is the responsible party.
Speaker 9: Some people don't have.
Speaker 2: It be in a state, right, I mean, the state issues the state issues a license. Private citizens don't issue licenses, but they shouldn't there and then in this case, they're the ones that asked to be taken away. And I think it is a parallel to what we're talking about here with Rodney Hinton, in that if I drink or take drugs and kill someone, obviously I shouldn't have done that. That's on me. I engage in that kind of behavior, being deliberately intoxicated, Whereas if I'm ordered to take prescription antipsychotics because of a mental state and I don't do that and kill someone, it's not my fault. It doesn't make a lot of sense. I don't have hope that the law is going to change anytime soon because their fear of the backlash from the mental health community and others, the fear that's going to cause people not to get the help that they need. It definitely is a catastrophe on many levels here. But the good news is that he's going to plead and hopefully he doesn't see the light of day. Are you pretty confident he's going to get life? He's never going to get out of jail.
Speaker 9: You know, I am.
Speaker 5: I mean, I mean, we don't know what's going to happen. I mean the good I mean, the good thing about the only good thing about this is again he has to admit what he did. They're not contesting, they're not arguing that there's you know, some other person involved there. He's at least acknowledging what occurred here, which I guess will well, we'll have some value, I hope. But the thing is he will be eligible to have, you know, to be in a treatment situation, and to be evaluated for release every so often.
Speaker 9: Now, I think given what happened.
Speaker 5: Here, and given that we've got a pretty you know, a really sharp judge involved, I think that's you know, it's unlikely he's getting out anytime soon. But we can't say for a fact, you know, that he'll be locked up for life. I mean, there could be a scenario where you know, some of the treatment you know, providers where he is says, you know, look, he's he's he's functioning again, he's medicated, he's doing better. I mean, we don't know what's going to happen that way. We just know that if he were convicted straight up, this would be murder even without the death, then he will be murder with a life tail. So h but still I think it is, you know, it is unlikely that he gets out. I mean, they are gonna you know, there's going to be a murder conviction and uh you know again one with the possibility at parole and uh, you know, and it's it's complicated. We can't say for sure he'll never get out, but there's a pretty good chance he'll ever.
Speaker 2: Get Yeah, I would hope so well, at least we got that Steve good and all the best to try law defense Turney now former prosecutor and knows it all. I appreciate you, buddy. Thanks again. Happy to hear you'll get a time out in We've got news and we'll talk about this and whether that makes sense is to you know, there's some diseases. You've got to be responsible for putting the drugs into your system. That's going to prevent this behavior from happening in the first place. We'll talk about a next Lonely after doing seven hundred. It's a Scott's Loan show on seven hundred WLW. Steve Good was just on talking about what's going on with Rodney hitting In case you're just joining the show, didn't hear it? County Prosecute Hamblin County Prosecutor Kip guynan assistant prosecutor, has after talking to medical experts and testimony, including court appointed testament but also independent testimony, in analysis of Rodney Hint in the state of mind the day he decided to murder Deputy Layer Henderson, has determined that he was legally insane that the time he murdered Henderson, and it feels like justice is not being served there because you see someone who in the capacity that seems to go against the narrative that he was out of his mind at the time, in that he was premeditated. He was shown the video he in the family was shown the video camera footage of his son being killed by police officers. Son killed by police officers because he was an a stolen vehicle. He had a gun on him, He's fleeing, He disobeyed commands, fell down, picked the gun back up and held it in his hand and as he was running past the dumpsters, turned towards at least look towards a police officer which sees that certainly is a threat against his life, and fired the rounds in which killed that young man, Ryan Hinton, his dad in the family. Was shown the next day the video or at least couple days later, the video of the murder, not murder, but of the shooting, and this triggered him to murder Deputy Larry Henderson, in which it appeared about an hour got in his vehicle because he was distraught, as you could imagine, at some point decided he was going to find someone a uniform to murder, and that person was Larry Henderson, who was working a detail as a retiree, making all extra money I guess, running the cameras or running the stoplets that you see for their graduations, so people cross the street and had nothing to do with what happened with a son and I even the same department for that matter, as a sheriff's deputy, you know, a since andy cop. Not that that would not that that would matter at all, but he decided that this is what's going to happen. He did so because he was off his medication. For bipolar. This seems to me like a lawmaker could tackle this issue. But I can imagine for reasons why a lawmaker wouldn't, and that it just doesn't seem just that if you are ordered by your doctor you have a known serious mental deficiency, and I would say bipolar disorder is, I would say schizophrenia is. Then you have to make you have to take your mets. We know there are a lot of homeless people and are homeless for a lot of reasons, but mental health drives a lot of this who won't take their mets, and then we see them do things in public that threaten not on the quality of life, but also may threaten or actually do bodily harm to people because they're if they're mets. Can you force someone to take their medication? It's awfully tough to do unless you put them an institution, which in my opinion, we need more of. We're saying we did was close all the mental hospitals back in the sixties and seventies because it felt like, well, you know we're not treating them, well, let's release them out in the public. Okay, great, Now what do we have? We have people who have mental illnesses that are running around the streets doing things like this before you could institutionalize them. That has to come back. We've got to change that because we worried about the stigma, and that's also the problem. Well there's a stigma. Yeah, there should be a stigma. These are very serious mental issues. This isn't minor, and we're talking a handful of things that would trigger the courts to enforce this. I made the parallel that if I decide that I'm going to go out, or you go out and do drugs, and I'm talking about drugs that would alter your mind and state. If I would consume alcohol, If I would I don't know, co cocaine, heroin, methamphetamines, whatever it is, a marijuana for that matter. And I out there and I do that stuff and I kill someone and it's in my system. I go to jail for that. I go to prison for that as well. You should, because you made a conscious effort to put something in your body that was going to cause you not to be able to operate a motor vehicle using your clear mind and motor functions. Well, if that's the case, then why isn't the opposite trip that if you are told by a doctor, Look, you've got to take this medication the rest of your life because you have bipolar disorder, you have schizophrenia, you have very serious mental issues, and then you're able to get in a motor vehicle and drive that car without that in your body. Is it going to always happen when someone goes off their mets. No, but this can't be the first time someone's done that. Doesn't that hold that person to a level of accountability. I mean, you went, you got diagnosed that you had this problem. You deserve to treat that problem. And it's not like, you know, taking your heart Well, what are you saying, sloan in the court is going to force you to take your heart medicine, to take your you know, get your diabetes injections. No, No, because the only person you hurt is yourself. There maybe your family members, But again, we do stuff all the time that hurts our family members. That shouldn't be a criminal issue. When it extends to the public at large, it's a different story, right You. Not taking something to control your A one C is much different than taking something to prevent you from going on a psychotic rage, on a rampage and we see it have happened in the past, whether it's mass shootings or something like this. I think that's something seriously the legislature should look at. Not not all drugs that deal with psychotics were not certainly not everything you put in your body should be Hey, you listen, you forgot to take your I don't know, something for your blood pressure that's not the same as some sort of anti psychotic medication. Hopefully that's something we would address. I don't really see it happening because the mental health advocates will bend over backwards screaming about how this is just some more stigma. It stigmatizes the mental health of people even more so, and it's going to cause them not to go get the help that they need. I don't know. This guy went and got the help he need. He still refuses to abide by the plan. That seems to be as big a decision as someone drinking and driving, and yet we have high standards for that. Doesn't make a lot of sense in my opinion. Something else going on here that I want to get real quick. Uh So we get Maduro out. He's in in the lock up, he's in Manhattan. Hopefully it doesn't turn into last time we had somebody in a high profile individual in jail in New York City. Uh, look what helped wind up happening. You know what I'm saying is not Hopefully it's not doesn't not like Jeffrey Epstein. Nonetheless, Nicholas Madura's wife are in custody and it was in court and the charges against them include drug trafficking, and the idea we got Madua out of powers we got to stop drug trafficking, which really there wasn't a lot of drugs he was trafficking in the US. We got to see the oil, which is the big thing. We got to save our democracy or save the democracy there. But we're back to being the world police again, which we were told this administration wouldn't do. There's the issue of American dominance and punishing Venezuela for sending our migrants to the United States. Okay, those are the reasons why we got Madua out of power, and it's a pretty long list. But there's a problem there in that if that's the standard, then what are the countries would then fall under the thumb of the United States Going Okay, we've got problem with you we're going to take you over. And since we're going down this road, it's kind of like a it's like a country draft. Right now, we're gonna run Venezuela. Hell at this point, just look at it going. Okay, if that's the mindset, let's lean into this thing. And what other countries should we invade? I mentioned jokingly yesterday Columbian that came out. They well, Columbia's actually one of the countries, largely because it shouldn't cost five dollars to get a cup of coffee with cream in it. Yeah, the drug plot and cocaine, the cartel's okay, that's all well and good. I don't know if you'll ever completely get rid of it, simply because Americans love drugs. We're talking about the Brian hitting Rodney hitting rather with the drugs there. But Americans like to self medicate. We like weed, people like cocaine and heroina. I know it's not good for you, it's not good for society, but clearly there's an appetite for it. There's a market for it here. People enjoy doing they know. The pitfall is kind of like smoking, right, Warren. Smoking has been going on for a long time. Look, all the research that we spent to stop smoking, people still smile. They switched to vaping because it's less stressful, and now we're going after that as well. We love our vices here in America. We love our vices, and we love drugs. In America, we're a bunch of drug addicts. Even hell, even if you've never taken a street drug into your life, you're probably still taking some medication. Our lives are improved immeasurably by drugs, legal or otherwise. So in this case, how Columbia drug probab okay, okay, can't whatever? Worried about the coffee right, which is also a drug? Like yeah, cream a couple couple of coffees with the cream, I mean large is whatever they call the grandes. That's like ten, you know, fifteen bucks, Like it's a lot of money for some coffee, beans, man for for hot water and beans. You know what I'm saying. We can get that cup of coffee down to reasonable. What's reasonable? Two bucks two fifty two fitty I'm down Columbia should be on the line. It looks like it's like kind of a nice arie Tiffy cleaned it up a little bit get rid of the drug cart tells, hey, it seems like a good vacation spot for us. I agree with Cuba as well. They've been a pain in the ass for a long time. These guys, plus the people there are suffering. This is and that would be the best move of all time because you easily win Florida if you're a Republican. If you haven't before, you definitely you because you get that, you get that ex patriot vote right there. And let's face it, the people because of communism are aren't doing very well. Despite what people like Michael Moore say. It's a beautiful country with horrible government, not only that being Italian and saw what happened with the casinos back in the fifties with Momo Gi and Conna. You know, we built the Italian mob built the casinos down in Cuba. Fedel Castro comes along, nationalizes and kicks the mob out, and their series as to why this is why Kennedy got quit an Italian term whacked. There's something behind that as well. So I don't know, maybe we get our casinos back, make the mob great again. I don't think Mexico simply because it's just you know, we think of Mexico is well, it's like Cabo or you go to I don't know, Cancum. Yeah, those are are two small areas. And I think, quite honestly, do this other stuff. It's gonna get Mexico in line because it seems like the new Mexican president she wants to play she wants to play ball, so maybe that's coming around with that. I would say to Brazil for the same reason. That's a big ass got it's a huge country man. And also lots of snakes, lots of snakes in the Amazon. You gotta do with the Amazon rainforest. Now you take that over. Now you inherit the whole problem of global warming. And you got did I mention the snakes? Giant crazy bugs as big as of Olkswagen. You know, we don't want to be in there. We don't want to be in there. Brazil, Just let Brazil be Brazil. Greenland's another one. I guess there's resources there and national security. Where's it go to? Greenland? Greenland's not really green Greenland's actually Iceland, and Iceland is actually Greenland, as we learned in grade school. I think if you're going to invade, look at it. This way, you're Greenland, this big honk of ice. Okay, maybe they got some stuff under the ground. We want whatever, let's do Iceland. It's a lot smaller, it's tiny compared to Greenland. And it's green, not Icy. It's rykevic right. You fly in, you fly out. It's nice. And not only that, if you fly to Europe, it's a good stopping point. It's a good point to get out, change, stretch your legs a little bit. Well, having to go to the hassle so you know, pass sports and maybe you stay there for well, it seems like, yeah, Greenland, that that Greenland is my Iceland seems to be the one. If we're going to take over another country, I'm all in on Iceland. Let's start there and expand that territory a little bit that way, just kind of you know, dipping our toe in the water. I think we've got this part of the hemisphere that you know, South America. Like I said, you know, you go after you get Cuba, you get Columbia, you take care of, you know, some of these other countries. Columbia, Columbia, I'll be happy with just column Columbia Cuba, those two are that's doable. It's in the time zone. Yeah, okay, if you're gonna start messing around around the other side of the go to Iceland. We don't want to be going halfway on the world though. I don't know. Do we need Jamaica, Do we need Costa Rica? Do we need the Bahamas and Perua? No, you don't really need that. Those are small, tiny little island cut let them be. We've got enough of a footprint if you just did those, I'd be quite content with that. As long as we're taking stuff over, I say, go big or go home. Trying to think other countries. What about Germany? We need a presence, and Germany's invaded other countries before. It's about time we say, well, we're taken to see how you guys like it. Gotta be like in the Smack Daba. Now we kind of need Germany now we don't want to piss off the Germans. Plus yeah, well look at the Cincinnati connection here too.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm just I don't know if I'm speaking it is anywhere. Like I'm trying to think of where in Africa would you want to expand to, Like Morocco. Morocco seems like a good Gride, Casablanca. You've got that whole Humphrey Bogart thing guy, And it's not quite in the desert. It's a little bit. It's on the northern right on what's right there, Spain's right there, and maybe maybe Moroccots. He has taken a Morocco as long as we're rolling, and you know, I'm trying to think what the case would be against Morocco, because you got to you gotta gena. Like the whole thing with Venezuela is about you know, it's about drugs, and it really isn't about getting the oil out of there. I'm not sure the oil companies are too keen on doing it because you know, again it's the flavor of the month. They get in there, spend billions of dollars and then the regime changes again. Your screw, You lose all that money. You might as well just stay in the golf in the Permian basin. But I'm make I go Columbia, Cuba, Iceland, those are my big ones right there. I make a list. I'm running a list over here. It's my Christmas wish list for this year. It's only what three hundred and sixty something shopping days left. Scott's Long Show. It's the home of the best Bengals coverage, now the home of the Reds. Seven hundred ww sins.
Speaker 8: Name American Medio.
Speaker 2: Tuesday Morning, Scott's Slung Show, seven hundred w Well, w welcome to it. New Year's Day is behind us and here we are. Today is a holiday. Did you know this? Today is known as divorce day? Divorce Day is today. It's because I don't know how they calculated this, but we'll run with it. We start to see a spike in divorce filings this month. I guess that makes sense because you know, you get through the holidays and you realize, as you spend a lot of time around people, because most people have the week or weeks off, there's you know, events, there's get together with friends and family and more, and you realize how mouch you hate that person who's ring is on your finger and you want to take that ring off and fired in the drink. Jason Philibaum family lawyer of Attorney at Law, joining the show once again to discuss Jason.
Speaker 6: How are you good morning, doing well? Thank you?
Speaker 2: What is the number one clause of divorce you see these days?
Speaker 6: Marriage without a doubt, if you don't get married, you will not get divorced. But all in all reality, a lot of it's about kids and finances, and so what I tell people that are looking to get married be I don't is you know, go and get pre maret, the counseling, and really talk about how you're going to raise kids, how many kids you want? You know, you get into a marriage, one person wants one, one person wants four. There's fights. I just recently did a divorce because a you know, a couple wouldn't have kids, and one of them won on it. Another big thing I see is finances. I can't tell you how many spend thrifts. There are both male and female hidden credit cards. You know, people work hard and come home and their spouse pay you know, spends all the money on whatever involve trips, shoes, I've seen both. Those are probably the too biggest. And then the third is more of a psychological question. But I think people just stop working at it, and before you know, you become roommates instead of lovers and friends, and then that creates all kinds of other issues.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's probably true. I mean I've seen it time and time again with friends where you know your kids it's all about sports and the like, I know your family's involved in that kind of stuff, and you heay, it's kids, kids, kids, and you make friends and once sports goes away, they graduate and it's like, Okay, now we have nothing in common and you kind of got to work on that before your youngest one winds up leaving the house, otherwise it could set you up for something like this exactly.
Speaker 6: And you're right. I mean I see all kinds of divorced filings in January. I get a lot of calls in December with people asking questions, and then January and February always tend to be the biggest day months that you file for divorce. I think you hit on it, which is your home with the family, and you're you know, like it's spike during COVID because people were home together and they started really, wait a second, I don't know if I like this person very much. I mean that happens to the holidays as well. But I think a lot of people are like, I just want to get through the holidays, you know, I want to give my kids one last Christmas. I want to you know not, And then I want to do it in January because I want to have it settled by the next school year, and divorces can take six to eighteen months to resolve, So if you start it in January, you probably will have a pretty good idea of what's going on by the time kids will go back to school in August. The other thing you know is tax returns. People, you know, divorces are expensive. You've got to pay attorneys, and so a lot of times people will wait until they're getting their tax returns end of January early February so they can pay legal bill.
Speaker 2: You know, if you've been around the block a little bit, you have friends, family members, whoever, who have went through divorce, and it's it's not cheap. You're one hundred percent right about that. In the division of assets, in the accra, all the things involved with it just terrific. Is I remember anyone who goes through it and goes you know, maybe because when we're compatible, but man, the financial burden, the stress of going through this is just its next level. So would your advice then be, hey, try to settle this before you come to see me, because no one is ever happy. No one leaves with what they want in a divorce.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So what I recommend to clients is, first of all, I find out are they in a position where we can maybe do a dissolution, because that'll cut a cost by you know, seventy five eighty percent. It really really streamlines it if you can do a dissolution, but you have to agree on everything, one hundred percent agreement, and very quickly I can find out in a free consultation I give to clients whether or not they're likely to have in the solution. If not, then you're going to have to file. You're going to have to go through that process. And you're right if other than the death in the family, divorce usually is the most stressful time that you're going to go through in your life. I see it, you know, even if you don't have kids, but especially when you have kids, because even if you're the best parents in the whole world, you're losing half the time with your children, You're doubling your expenses, and you're cutting half your income away. So it's very stressful for pretty much everyone that goes through it, whether they want it or not.
Speaker 2: It is very strategy to do this as far as timing goes, you mentioned taxes. What else do you have to consider?
Speaker 6: So the biggest issue I tell people is you have to think about school. If you file in May and you hope that you're going to have the school situation settled by August and the parents are not in a lie, it's not going to happen. So I think people, you know, six to eighteen months for a divorced so somewhere between October and January is the prime filing if you want to have things settled at least from a kid's perspective, by by you know, August when they go back to school. I've had divorce couples come to me and say, hey, I want to change school and the other person doesn't agree. And by the way, it's July. I'm like, the course are not going to hear your case within a month. You're not going to be able to switch schools in a month unless you have an agreement. So people that are looking to switch gold even post divorce, still have the file emotion and get into court, and you know, I recommend doing that by March or April, so you know, divorce, I think January is a good time for that. Filing in December is always rough. So that's why people wait till January. And then there's probably a whole host of things I tell clients when they call either in November December, you know, things that they should and shouldn't do before and during the original filing part of it.
Speaker 2: Attorney Jason Phillibum on The Scotsland Show seven hundred W l W. Today is divorce day, known as divorce day because this is peak day people start coming in after the holidays and realizing I shouldn't be married to this person, and they file for divorce. And so you see the spike all the way through because you suffer through the holidays and that probably finalized the deal, or you wanted to get through the holidays because of you know, hanging out with family members and friends and the kids and all that stuff too, and then you want to go, okay, well we're going to start the new year. My resolution is to to dumpyard dead ass. How much time? How often is it is it? Is it usually mutual that couples kind of come in together. Are they come in and go, okay, well we talked about it, we're gonna we're gonna break up, As opposed to the very theatrical one where someone will gets served and they have no no, and they had no warning ahead of time.
Speaker 6: Well, I would say a lot of people have warning ahead of time. They see the warning signs, they talked about it. But with that said, there's still a lot of people that just don't agree. Even if you're unhappy in your marriage, whether it's a guy or a girl, whether you're unhappy, you don't want to get divorced. You don't want to put your kids through that. So I would say, you know, other than a dissolution, a lot of divorces are self contested and they sell bite and I'll give you some free I gave you a shelf fre invites. I'm going to give you the same freevit. But in all seriousness, there's a few things I tell every client that calls me. Number one is treat your house right now like an insurance claim. Go through in videotape everything you have in the house videotape. The you know whether it's in good condition or bad condition. One of the big fights that we have is, oh, that paintings worth five thousand dollars and the other person said, no, that painting. We got rid of it three years ago. Well there's a video of it on the wall two weeks ago, so that's not true. Or you know, they'll say, hey, that this item is worth this amount of money and I'm like, no, this is the shape that it's in, it's not. So you do it for insurance. So I say, it's not a bad idea to go through and just videotape your items in your house. Insurance companies tell you to do that in cases of five or a fact. So before you start a divorce process, that's that would be a nice way to catalog everything. The second thing I tell people is don't move out of the house unless there's domestic violence or danger or you know, things like that. Don't move out of the house because you are giving up probably your most important asset and losing control of that during the divorce process. Plus, if you have kids and you don't have a plan for you know, what kind of parenting time you can have during the tendency of the divorce, it could take three to six months for court to make a decision on what parenting time is. So if you move out, I've seen situations where people have been kind of kept away from their kids for months. So those are the two biggest pieces of advice I give is don't move out without talking to an attorney first, and catalog your items just by doing a quick you know, video of it like you would for insurance Jase.
Speaker 2: The other one is money, and I mean, we have a lot of passwords these days. Should you go through once this looks like it's going to happen and change all your passwords the ones that he or she may know of. Check the beneficiary as insurance policy. Make sure your bank accounts aren't going to get cleaned out, because you hear that from time to time as well. How do you protect yourself with the capital that you have on hand or actually the thing's worth something that you have on hand.
Speaker 6: Sure, there's two distinctions. The first one, if something's been filed, the court's going to put on a temporary restraining order that says you cannot sell or dispose of items. So at that point you got to be careful what you do, So talk to an attorney specifically before you do anything. If there's been a filing. Prior to filing, what a lot of people will do is is to do exactly what you said. They want to make sure that their money is in order. If there's a huge savings account, some people are afraid the other side might take it and dispose of it. So I always tell people, don't dispose of it. That's going to come back to bite you. Don't go to the boat, don't go to the casino. But I think it's okay to put it in another safe account that's held there until the court decides how to divide it. I've had a situation where a guy had a lot of money in savings. He took it out, he put it in another staving's account, filed for divorce, and then very quickly I spoke with the other attorney and said, hey, he's willing to split this this marital assets, but make sure we take that into account at the end of the cave. And so we did a temporary agreement, we split the money. That's I had another situation where I advised the client to do that, he didn't and the life took it and then he was without the ability to pay bills. So that those are all concerns, and that's why I give a free consultation, and I suggest before you do anything like that, talk to an attorney, so you do it. The right way. You do it the legal way, and then you do it the fair way, because at the end of the day, in Ohio, the court is going to split it over your assets and all your dad's fifty to fifty unless there's financial misconduct or something like that. It's the fifty to fifty state. And so you want to make sure you act fairly because the judge is going to require that at the end.
Speaker 2: What about social media? You know, when someone files for divorces split up, generally there's some macrimony there. And you tell me you may a lash out that you don't want to do anything. You basically want to keep the status quo.
Speaker 6: Yes, because divorces are very emotional, and again it happens on both sides, men and women. They get very emotional during divorces. And you know, this is a business transaction. It's a mass problem. Let's take all your assets, divide by two, all your debts divide by two, and then's figure out what's tech interest for your kids. That's a very simple equation, but it becomes so complicated because there's so much emotion. And so I tell clients don't do anything that's going to you know, put fire on the flame. You've got a fire right now, and you know your life is kind of burning. That's how the forces are. That's contain it. Let's get it to make sure there's no long term damage. You start going on social media and posting about a new boyfriend or girlfriend, or post about all the bad things you're spouted, just take gasoline import on that fire. It's no longer a controllable situation. So I tell people, you know, it's not something you have to do. You don't have to not talk about your divorce, but I would very much keep everything off social media because you don't want to do anything to make it more difficult than it already is.
Speaker 2: All right, before we go, Jason on this divorce day, what if you are just completely blindsided about this, because that happens probably more often than you think, where someone says everything's fye. Next thing you know, they're being served papers and you're caught like a deer in headlights. I obviously the first step would be to hire an attorney immediately. It's not sooner, but there's all sorts of deadlines. I know people who have gone, well, I just ignore it, maybe it'll go away, and it doesn't.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's actually the first thought I had when you ask that question, and do not put your head in the sand. You may not want it, you may want to fight it. There are ways that we can, you know, sort of delay it to see if there's a way for reconciliation. But the most important thing you should do is get an attorney. Do it right away. You've got to make sure your rights are protected. You've got to make sure all the two lines are protected, and then we can talk about strategies moving forward. The worst thing you can do, though, is put your head in the stand and ignore it. Even even people that file their own answer you know, I don't want to do this, or I don't want a divorce. I don't think you know, we're not you know whatever that's stell you're putting yourself. I've had a situation where a person tried to do it on their own and end up getting blocked from seeing their kids for nine months. Had they got an attorney, I think I think that would have probably only been about a month. So there's a lot of things that can go wrong by trying to do it doing it yourself. So don't put your head in the stand. Get an attorney. Right away, and then you know, counseling. You know, I do refer not specifically two people, but I tell clients you should talk to a counselor because this is, like I said at the beginning of the call, one of the most difficult situations you're going to go through outside of death in the family. And you know, if you had a death in the family and you're feeling this way, you'd go talk to a counselor. I think it's okay to have someone that you can kind of dump your mental track with because this is going to be sort of a long fight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I know for sure I've never been to this, fortunately knock Wood, thank God. But there's a limited amount of time you have to sign those spaed you don't respond to the papers, you're an automatic default. There's judgments filed against you automatically if you don't respond correct.
Speaker 6: Yes, you have twenty eight days to file and answer. However, a lot of times they will ask for temporary orders thousand support and support parenting time. You have fourteen days to respond to that. So if you don't get an attorney within those first fourteen days, you could have an award go into a fact that's temporary that you can't afford. You know, I've seen you know, hopefully attorneys don't do this, but I've seen people, you know, say your style is three hundred thousand dollars when it's fifty. And then all of a sudden, the judge is awarding an order based on a three hundred thousand dollars amount instead of a fifty one thousand dollars amount. And then now you're paying something that you can't avoid, and it's going to take months to get that change. So fourteen days if there's temporary orders requested, twenty eight days to file a formal answer. But you should get an attorney right away. They can look at the paperwork and they can tell you, you know, what needs to be done.
Speaker 2: And when Yeah, it's sad. How many times do people come to you and then realize, hey, this, you know what, maybe we can work it out because you think, ah, divorce ripped the band aid off. It's it's basically a year of hell. Everyone I've known that's gone through this, whether it's you know, an agreeable divorces, you may even disillusions, there's a lot of pain and emotion and that is tough to tamp down because we are emotional creatures, as you said. But how many people come to you in Afric consulting attorneys try to fix it or wind up walking away going you know what, we'll just we'll deal with it. We'll figure this out.
Speaker 6: So I've I've been doing this twenty six years, and I've been doing the worst cases, you know, pretty much full time for sixteen years. And I can tell you that I can count on my right hand how many times people have gotten back together. Two of those were during the divorce. They filed emotion to essentially stay it so they can reconcile, and they did. Three was accid of divorce, the divorce ended, and then a few, you know, months later, they started dating again. And my recommendation is still don't remarry. But still it doesn't happen very often. So I tell clients it's okay to hope that you might reconcile, It's okay to request the counseling, but you need you need to go forward with the idea that this is happening, and my job is to help walk you through the divorce, you know. And again you go to a counselor and they'll talk to you about the other part of it. But you know what, pure numbers, it's very rare. It's a lot more rare than people think.
Speaker 2: Till about you on that team Scott or team Michelle. If it comes down to.
Speaker 6: The right now, you know, yeah, the few.
Speaker 2: It's funny because I've talked to many attorneys and they always side with my wife, going, no, you do whatever she does. You got a comming son.
Speaker 6: Didn't you tell me not to go to war with someone that has the air waves every day? With that said, you know who I like better is a whole different story. Yes, right, yes, correct, Yeah, I'm on the radio. I'm on your side, and.
Speaker 2: We got divorce. I'd be on her side too. It's like take it all you deserve it. Attorney Jason Phillips.
Speaker 6: I just got a tech from Michelle.
Speaker 2: Michelle, I am teasing, yes, yes, yes, yes, So she's all over this or radar one off. Jason phil Obama attorney a law. He's he's the best. If you need him, he's there for you.
Speaker 6: Jason.
Speaker 2: Thanks again, appreciate you.
Speaker 6: I appreciate it.
Speaker 9: Thank you.
Speaker 2: All right, run it a little bit late here and yeah after this it' said's simply not happening. But man, I've still so many friends, as you know, been through this and you may have as well. It's a really, really difficult thing. But today is divorce Day twenty twenty six. Just so you know, seven hundred deul do all the Scots launship time to.
Speaker 6: Talk about money, how to make it, how to keep it, and how to keep others off your stack.
Speaker 2: This is all worth advice with Andy Schaeffer. Andy, happy you.
Speaker 6: Good morning.
Speaker 2: Happy Now you're Scott.
Speaker 6: How are you today?
Speaker 2: I'm doing well because the markets are doing well. We should all be happy about that.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 11: I think the markets so far have kind of shrugged off the arrest of Nicholas Maduro by the United States. I don't think it's going to have a near term economic consequence for the globalifications will reverberate for years to come, but it remains to be seen. A lot of oil heavy and energy heavy stocks performed very well yesterday and that's what really drove the market.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and things are looking up and you think, man, okay, hey, we're gonna take over the leader of Venezuelan and incarcerat them and charge them, and you think the market to go bonkers. And they're not what we often talk about. How you know, the markets are about green, not blue or red. But there is a certain amount of impact the president or administration will have on the markets on a day to day basis. For sure, Why didn't we see, in your opinion, any movement this way? Why do things get better not worse?
Speaker 6: Well, you have to.
Speaker 11: Understand politics only plays about a seventeen percent role in our total GDP. So while it does have an impact, most of our economy is driven by the consumer. We're seventy percent of the total GDP that we measure. And so with Venezuela, you have to understand since twenty ten, their infrastructure has diminished significantly. They had a mass exodus in twenty thirteen. And as far as their oil production, they used to account for about one percent of global GDP and produce around three point five million barrels per day. Today it only represents abouero point one percent of the world GDP and produces only about you know, less than that, you know as we move forward, and a lot of that has to do with the infrastructure decline under Chavez and Maduro over the years.
Speaker 6: And the other.
Speaker 11: Significant impact is that you know, the oil in Venezuela, which is the largest proven reserves that we know of, is very heavy. It takes a lot of cost to refine and produce. And so while it seems that there could be a shakeup, from a geopolitical standpoint, you know, Venezuela's economy is not very robust. It only accounts for about one hundred and twenty billion dollars when the United States is about thirty trillion, and so Venezuela's economy is about the size of West Virginia's and so in the big scheme of things, it doesn't really matter today as far as this is concerned from an economic standpoint. Geopolitically is a total different conversation. But from an economic standpoint, it doesn't really move the needle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, that it makes sense. And as far as all the futures, but particularly oil stocks did really really well yesterday on that news. But I look at it and go, man, it's it's that's a lot to ask because you know, as you know, drilling anything you've watched Landman for example, which is an awesome show, you know how expensive it is just to drill and speculate on the oil markets too. I would think if I were one of the big oil companies. And maybe this is why they're not saying much about this outside of Chevron, I think is that they don't know what the political situation is. The last thing you want to do is spend hundreds of millions, if not billions of dollars to explore in Venezuela. They have some regime come and cut you out and nationalize it again. And so it isn't it safer for them to continue to drill in the golf and in the premium basin.
Speaker 11: Yeah, the permium basin makes a lot of sense, and there's a lot of clean shale there, you know, so it makes it easier to extract and refine. But you know, if you're looking at it from an energy company's perspective, this will likely shake out over the next few months to get a better understanding of what the political picture is going to look like in Venezuela, and there is there will be a lot of room for investment opportunity, and that's what these companies are looking at now. Overall, when you talk about oil and the price of the price of oil, the bigger picture is that the rising output in the United States and OPEC will dominate oil market dynamics for the coming years. And so just because of you know, those two entities, we expect the global supply growth over the next year so to push oil prices down to about fifty dollars per barrel. So again it's it's more about US as as opposed to Venezuela. And you know, I think some energy companies have some I would say hesitant optimism about investment in Venezuela.
Speaker 6: Then time will tell.
Speaker 2: All right, from a financial market standpoint, Andy Schaeffer, which country should we invade next?
Speaker 11: Yeah, you know that makes me a little bit uneasy obviously that you know, Maduro was a bad guy. But you know, but I think that's why you have to stay on your toes as far as you know, from an investment point of view and an economic standpoint. You know, but when you go throughout history and you look at all the conflicts that we've been in, whether it's been Desert Storm or the Cuman missile crisis, World War two, you have to remember that the mark of the time has met and exceeded its previous highs.
Speaker 6: It's just a matter of time.
Speaker 11: So if you have a smart plan in place, with a portfolio that you're able to adjust, You're gonna be fine. And so usually these conflicts will you know, crash headlines and the market will react, you know, in a in an instant, but over the long term it really doesn't have a major effect on our global GP.
Speaker 2: You really never answered the question, you know that, right?
Speaker 9: Yeah?
Speaker 6: Do you like that tap dance?
Speaker 2: I vote Columbia because coffee is too damn expensive. Should a cup of coffee? But I mean coffee with cream and not one of these you know drinks like you like where it's got whipped cream and chocolate shavings and parts of a birch tree in it. God knows what else looks like. It looks like one of them bougie bloody Mary's, you know, with the celery and I'll shrimp on it. There's a half a chicken. Uh yeah, those things should cost more, but yeah, five bucks or a cup of black coffee. I think Columbia said that we should have all the countries. I think we should go after Columbia next.
Speaker 6: Well, I will I will say this.
Speaker 11: First of all, we buy our coffee from a local here in New Richmond, which we love, so we brew our own at home to try to save some money. But I will say Columbia is keeping a close eye on this, and I would say, you know from a serious note that if we were going to take action somewhere else, Columbia would likely be next.
Speaker 2: I think that's great, let's get that. And should a cup of coffee should not be more than a buck? I don't care. And I'm factoring and of course for inflation and all that stuff. I know, a nickel back in the nineteen thirties when Willie was my age. You know, it's such a different thing now today dollars seems like maybe maybe I'd go up to probably two bucks, But man, after five for a cup of coffee is insane. Andy Schaefer here from all Worth Financial and simply money, a little money check this morning. I know the Fed met in December last year obviously too, and we again get to kick the tires every week on how the US economy is doing overall. Despite the huge bump yesterday in the market's record dat on Wall Street, how are things overall now that we've had in the first month of the new year.
Speaker 11: Yeah, So we received the minutes from the Federal Reserves the summer meeting, and it indicates that the FOMC saw the economy continuing to expand at a moderate pace. The labor market is gradually cooling, you know, just like we've discussed, even though inflation has started to come down a little bit. You know, I think when you kind of look into some of the details of the minutes, you know, we're seeing that, you know, we are gradually coming back to the Fed's preferred inflation measure of two percent. Policymakers cited higher tariffs as a key driver of core goods inflations, and so we're starting to get a little bit more clarity there.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 11: You know what does this all mean, Well, it means that the FED can start to pivot and start to attack the labor market a little better to make sure that it remains healthy. We are seeing some sticky inflation in other areas, particularly manufacturing. We received the ISM manufacturing data survey data yesterday which showed a little bit more cooling than what was expected, and most of those supply managers cited the fact that there is still uncertainty with teriffs and that's causing a lot of us within their markets. You know, we're gonna we receive the Ism Services data this morning. I have yet to kind of unpack that, but I think, you know, to kind of summarize all of this. You know, what we're looking at is that the FED feels pretty good about where we are. They do think that the quarter percent cut will help the labor market moving forward over you know, into twenty twenty six, but you know, they are looking at other things. One of the one of the things that I thought was was very promising is that we continued, you to see housing prices come down a little bit. And I think the fact that we've cut rates over the last year and a half or so is starting to help the housing market a little bit better. What about inventory there, Yeah, so the inventory you know, is pretty stable. We're seeing inventory somewhere around fifty percent, you know, and getting back to the home sales, you know, that stronger than expected three point three percent in November. That's the four straight monthly increase in signal, you know, the incremental improvement heading into two thousand and twenty six. And so you know, we're starting to see some momentum there. And Scott, I don't know if you see it, you know, with with with you know, in your business have you Have you seen any type of effect there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it seems pretty stady. It's tough around the holidays. A lot of people like to look, but not necessarily by at this point. So it seems like it you know that that you know, what's on the market is not moving it is. It has been over the last coming on maybe a year or two ago for sure.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it seems like it's just starting to loosen up a little bit and and hopefully, you know, as the race continue to fall, it'll loosen up a little bit more and encourage people to really sell their homes. You know, that's the biggest issue that it's been, is that people have been reluctant to move out of their homes because they have good interest rates. And so does interest rates continue to fall, maybe that will encourage people to start to move around and create some activity.
Speaker 2: It should, and of course more stock will we'll do that as well. All right, So as we move ahead to the next week, here, what numbers are we looking at coming in?
Speaker 11: Yeah, so this week is going to be fairly interesting, you know, and Wednesday we're going to get the ADP employment. I have some services index as well job openings, but really what we're looking at is Friday is kind of the big day. That's when we get the all the ployment numbers. We're going to get the unemployment rate, the hourly wages, housing starts, et cetera. And then next week is when we begin earning season, and so that will ramp up. And that's always very telling about where we are from an economic standpoint, to see how these companies are performing, and not only the numbers that they come out with, but also the guidance of how they feel about their corporations moving forward into twenty twenty six and beyond.
Speaker 2: As we are in the first week in the new year, let's put your personal finance hat on for just a second here, Andy Schaeffer, what should you be doing to get rid? I know, tax Day obviously is going to approach soon enough. A lot of people will wait till last minute to get all their stuff together. That's a factor and as well, but you know, looking through and seeing what the new limits are for contributions and such. Now, if you didn't do that over the break, now would be a good time to do that.
Speaker 6: What's that entail?
Speaker 11: Yeah, So, I mean there's a lot of things that you want to keep an eye on You want to make sure that you keep.
Speaker 6: An eye on your income.
Speaker 11: You know, if you're a retiree and you have a certain amount of income coming from a traditional IRA or a four to one K, you want to try to make sure that you stay underneath IRMA limits. You also want to make sure that you know your rmds are taken care of. If you're the over the age of seventy three, then you need to start taking your require minimum distributions and a lot of times when people take regular recurring distributions on a monthly basis, you want to make sure that that exceeds the total amount for the year. You also want to rebalance your portfolio and take a look at that as well. You know, with the increase that we've had in the market over the last three years, if you have a target of let's say a sixty forty portfolio organically, that can get out of whack a little bit because of the surge that we've had in equities to where maybe you're a little bit overbalanced, and so you want to take a look at that and also take make sure in an after tax account that you manage your capital gains and try to limit those as much as possible using tax loss harvesting. So there's many things that you need to be looking at at the beginning part of this year, and I would suggest that you consult with your financial advisor to go over some strategies you know that makes sense for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And you know, especially if you get a little bit older here too, and you start you know, there's more years behind you that are in front of you. It's very important to get all that stuff together, especially if you're thinking about maybe retiring in the next year or two.
Speaker 11: Yeah, especially if you're starting to think about retiring and in the next year too, you want to kind of get you know, that your ducks in a row. To make sure that you've communicated to your employer, You've talked to HR, you've made decisions about what to do with your four to one K, you've come up with a distribution plan of what makes sense to continue to live the life that you've been living while you had employment, and overall to get a financial plan together. You know, one of the things is to make sure you don't run out of money. But if you have a financial plan and you have some answers, maybe you can spend more in retirement if you don't have specific legacy or charity goals. And that's the fun part of my job is you know, if the financial health of my client is in place, I'm going to encourage them to spend more and do more things and so that I can vicariously live through them through their retirement. And that's one of my favorite parts of my job.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's pretty cool to make sure because you've never had any client and all the what almost closer to thirty years and that has to come out of retirement, that doesn't happen.
Speaker 11: No, I've had a few that haven't listened to my advice that I have gone by.
Speaker 9: The wayside, But I would say ninety.
Speaker 6: Eight percent of them are having a blast right now.
Speaker 2: If you follow the advice and you have a fight out financial professional like Andy, they will guide you say, yeah, it doesn't happen because there's a certain fear you go, wow, okay, now I'm going to retire, Especially if you retire early, I got to worry about healthcare benefits and stuff like that. And you know, of course, if you've got that kind of luck, you go, hey, you know, I've got two years, so I can get Social Security and Medicaid things like that, and then you get sick and it's a lot out of pocket. So professional make sure that does not happen to you.
Speaker 11: Yeah, and again, and that's the key, and you and everybody goes through it. You're not alone if you're near retirement age and you're nervous about it. You know, everybody goes through it because they're not used to having not having an income and it's like, man, can I really do this? And I think that's why it's important to get it on paper, run some analysis on that because for a lot of people they see better than they hear, and it's important just to get the reassurance from your financial advisor that you can actually do it and do it comfortably.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you're lucky enough right and planned ahead, and a lot of luck is involved in that as well. So it's foresight on your part. Andy Shaffer over all Worth Financial there shows simply it's tonight. It's six o'clock on fifty five KRC every weeknight for that matter. Drew, thanks again, talk next week.
Speaker 6: Okay, Scott, talk to you next week.
Speaker 2: Appreciate it. I've got Willie standingby in just minutes and news first here on the home of the Reds. Let's switch at the Reds seven hundred WW Cincinnati