Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begun.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 1: This is world Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: Here we go again, Rhea running.
Speaker 1: Back to get it on the show called eight six six nine eighty seven two five seven, and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you catch short podcasts. Here's your host, David Vasse.
Speaker 2: Last Day, Welcome the Dodger Talk. On this beautiful Mother's Day afternoon. The Dodgers fall to the Braves today by a final score of seven to two. We have two phone lines open at eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy. After the Dodgers beat Chris Sale in the first game of this series, they lose the next two games by the identical score of seven to two, and the Dodgers lose a series at home to the Braves for the first time since twenty twenty three, when the Braves took three out of four here at Dodger Stadium. So the Dodger offense only mustered two hits. That's a season low, and last year they only mustered two hits in two games. So, look, this doesn't happen very often. And I'm sure you thought when I came on here, I would basically be so upset. I would say the sky's falling. The Dodger offense needs to be shaken up, things need to change. That is not really true. What I'm gonna tell you is is the Dodger offense has not been very good or consistent for the last three weeks. They've gotten great starting pitching, their bullpen has been really good, even with the absence of Edwin Diaz, but their offense, not for a stretch of ten games, not for a stretch of a week. But I would venture to say for the last three weeks, the Dodger offense, outside of maybe three or four games where they put up crooked numbers, has not been very good, very consistent. Quality of at bats have not been great for the last three weeks. And with all that being said, the Dodgers are twenty four and sixteen, tied for first place in the National League West. And that's the Dodgers not even hitting on all cylinders offensively. That's the Dodgers with Kyle Tucker having having done virtually nothing so far for the Dodgers. His OPS is seven thirty six. He walked three times today, but he really hasn't been a major factor outside of, you know, a handful of games. Shoe a Otani's hitting two forty one as a hitter this year with an OPS of seven ninety two. Shoe Otani has one home run in his last one hundred and two plate appearances, and the Dodgers are twenty four and sixteen, tied for first place in the National League West. While the Padres had a walk off win today against the Cardinals, it seems like the Cardinals, excuse me, the Padres are playing their best baseball and they really haven't blown away the Dodgers the last three weeks. And we'll get our first look at the Padres coming up a week from tomorrow in San Diego, so we'll see how that head ahead matchup goes. But outside of Max Munsey and Andy Pajz, this Dodger offense has not really done much of anything. Those two guys have been the two best players the Dodgers have had this year, pa haz and Moncie both defensively and offensively. You can't say that about any other Dodger, even Otani, who's been out of this world as a pitcher. He's been very human as a hitter. Zero for four today with a strikeout, and the Dodgers got a really good pitching performance from Justin Robleski in this respect, considering Tyler Glassnell only pitched one inning in Houston just four games ago, four or five games ago, and Blake Snell only went three innings yesterday. For Justin Robleski to be as efficient as he was today and to go out there and eat eight and two thirds innings, I know he was charged with seven earned runs. He gave up solo home runs in the eighth and ninth inning, but outside of that it was five earned runs and four of them were given up in second inning that I know he wants back. And what's ironic is the Dodgers lose last night seven to two, they lose today seven to two, and it was the second inning last night, with the bases loaded in two outs that got Blake Snell and the Braves scored four runs in the second inning last night again today, four runs th to Mauricio Dubond's basses clearing double off of Robleski. After that, Robleski retired sixteen in a row until the eighth inning, and then you had Eli White making the catch of his life in right field with two outs and the bases loaded, and Max Munsey's sending a rocket there he face plants right into the wall and holds onto the baseball, and the innings over, the threats over, and the momentum's over. So the Braves made the plays today, and the Dodgers offense just was not able to get anything going outside of that sixth inning. And you know, the eighth inning months he hits a two run home run with two outs, So outside of that, not much of anything. Today's game brought to you by Modello Modelo the mark of a fighter. All right, I want to give Justin Robleski some love that he's due. I know he gave up seven earned runs, but nonetheless still win eight and two thirds innings to save a bullpen that had been used quite a bit. And Robleski is the you know, came close to throwing a complete game and giving up seven earned runs. The last time that happened a Dodger pitcher pitching a complete game, nine inning game and giving up seven earned runs was Fernando Vevenezuela back in nineteen eighty six when he gave up eight earned runs in a complete game in Montreal. So this game had a lot of things that you don't see a lot of, and today we saw that it was a throwback game to see Robleski go as deep as he went despite losing five to nothing going into the eighth inning. Let's head downstairs right now to the Dodger Clubhouse to hear from Robleski on Sports at LA.
Speaker 3: I just didn't turn double play. I mean that's symbols. If I turned double player, say eight and two thirds, two or three runs, and you know this isn't about outing. So I didn't turn double play and came playing. Nothing really changed. It's just I didn't turn double play.
Speaker 1: What try can you take this? Being able to go into the ninth inning and be that guy that this needed today?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's great. It's great to get to the ninth inning. It's great to have a chance. And then obviously, you know, one gets away from me there and I don't end up getting to finish it, which sucks. But you know, overall, it's okay. It's frustrating, you know, to give up runs like that. But the other day, I mean, back to the back to work this week and have a good one next week, and then it's all good. Center rush the double playball. What's happens that I was going up the mound. So when you're going up to the mound like that, you got to really stay.
Speaker 4: On top of it.
Speaker 3: And I just just went up high on me.
Speaker 5: Yes, Han a second, and you went through four thinnings of retiring each fatter that you faced.
Speaker 6: When you're looking at this brave sign up that does actually chase a lot, doesn't have a lot of swing and miss, how did you combat back to get the seven strack outs today?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think we did a good job and rushed at a good job calling the game, and I think we did a good job just moving it, moving around, keeping them off balance and making good pitches, which I thought I did for the most part today.
Speaker 4: So does that play double playball kind of not you the.
Speaker 3: Rest of the day when I mean, it's just it's just you know, I for me, it was one half inning of being like pissed off about it, and then you gotta keep going back out there and doing your things. So yeah, that's frustrating. You know it's annoying because now I look back at it and yeah, that's what cost me, you know, from being a good outing. But if that's what costs me from a good outing, I think that when gets popped.
Speaker 2: All right, there's Justin Robleski, great point by him, with Sean Murphy a comebacker to him. He tried to get a double play. Starting at second base. He threw high to Alex Freeland, who was very fortunate to get Eli White at second base for just one out there, and then Marisio Dubon two batters later, breaks the game open with a three run double and the Braves had a four run second inning. And he's right. He described it perfectly. When you look at the replay, he was standing right next to the pitching rubber and as he is throwing on a linear path, it's going into center field if not for a great leaping stop by Freeland and barely getting his foot down on the second base bag. If he's able to make a clean throw there, yeah, the inning's much different than what it turned out to be. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to the phones for the first time today. Westlake Village. David, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 7: Lead us off, DV, thanks a lot for taking my call.
Speaker 4: First call.
Speaker 7: This season for me could be my spring training a little bit, but I'll do my best. First off, a happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there. Unfortunately, my wife's mother's Day was a little spoiled by the Dodgers losing for her, so still upset about that. But that's okay. We're going to rally. Here's the deal. In my opinion, sho Heosani is the head of the snake. When he hits, everyone follows, and he's not hitting right now. So my hot take is, DV, is that I want to see show Heyo Tani hit more and pitch less. In twenty twenty four, he didn't pitch at all and we won the championship. In twenty twenty five, he pitched twenty and a third innings of regular season baseball and we won the championship. To me, Otani needs to pitch maybe three times a month and.
Speaker 4: Let the baseball experts figure out.
Speaker 7: What when that happens. Is the off one week and on one week, or is he off two weeks and on? It's up to them, But to me, this guy needs to get going, and I'm so sick of the narrative of him wanting to win a Cy Young Award.
Speaker 4: It's like true Dodger fans do not care about individual awards.
Speaker 7: We care about rings La is a city of winning championships, and so I would focus on Otani hitting more and pitching less. I'd love to hear your take on it.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, it's not going to happen. He's going to continue to pitch, and the inconsistency of having your most valuable player in not only the team but the sport one week on three weeks off of pitching would be more inducive to an injury. But I will say this, and I want you to hear this because I had this ready. I wanted to share with you what no mar Garciapara told us before the game yesterday when it came to Otani and the easy take that the pitching is taken away from the hitting. Look, there's no doubt we haven't seen Otani slump like this for this long as a Dodger. In his last fifteen games as the leadoff hitter, he's hitting one ninety six. He's slugging three h four. He has one home run in his last one hundred and two plate appearances. I'll say that again, Otani one home run in his last one hundred and two plate appearances. He hasn't homerd since he hit one against the Cubs two weeks ago. But I asked no mar Garciapara, who not only was one of the greatest hitters this game has ever seen, two time batting champion, but also on next level thinker evaluator when it comes to diagnosing hitters and other offenses. So here's what Nomar had to say to what David is claiming that the pitching is taken away from the hitting.
Speaker 6: I think it's that's the easy thing to say.
Speaker 2: He's is he in a corner?
Speaker 6: It's And I think it's just unfair to say that, because really to say, oh, well, he's struggling. This is why hitting is hard is extremely hard. Everybody goes through slumps. Everybody goes through struggles, whether you're just a DH and all you are is focusing on hitting, or whether you're playing defense, or whether you're like, it's hard. So I'm not going to say his pitching is affecting his hitting. That is way too easy, and that's assuming so much. When I watch show, Hey, I just think his mechanics are off. I think right now he's where the times that we've seen in the past, since he's been in the Dodger uniform, he went through slumps even when he wasn't pitching, when all he did was the age when that fifty to fifty season that was unbelievable. He went through a slump. He went through stretches where he was pulling off the ball. He went through stretches where he was rolling over. He went through stretches where it looked like he was chasing out of the zone. He went through all of those stretches. We're seeing that right now. And to me, when I look at his swing, his bat path and some of the mechanics, I think the same thing back then that got him that he struggled with is happening right now. I just think we're seeing that more where the front side, his front hip and his front shoulders are bailing out together at the same time, and that pulls off the ball. Rather than your front ear your hip can open up, but his top upper half would stay closed longer and he stays on the ball longer. When he does that, he stays on more pitches, he sees pitches longer, and he drives the ball, especially the other way. Right now, he's just not doing that. I've seen him do that in the past where he struggles. So I don't want to say it's pitching by any means, and I can't say that it's unfair, but I think he'll get back on track.
Speaker 2: All right. There's no Mark Garcia Parr, responding to a David in Westlake Village, was claiming, what so many go out there and say, Ah, the pitching's taken away from the offense. You know what, maybe taken away from the offense. He's thinking too much and doesn't have the preparation time to be able to focus on some of the cues or have somebody to just simplify it for him. You know. All you have to do is maybe tap him on the shoulder and say something like, hey, keep your hands up. Maybe that'll trigger something. But his butt is into the visitor's dugout almost every swing. That's the visual Nomar was trying to paint for you. And that was the case today, outside of his third at bat, where he drove a ball to the center field track. But somebody has got to get to him where they can simplify things so he's not thinking so much, and maybe have some of those cues that a hitter needs to simplify things, because you can't be thinking about five or six different things when you're in the batter's box as far as mechanics go. And who knows, maybe Otani listening to Dodger Talk right now taps into Nomar. I mean, I've heard of Otani talking to former players and you know, talking the game because he respects them. Maybe no Mar is that guy. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five. Seventy is the phone number Dodgers fall to the braves today, seventy two. Let's go out to Manny in downtown. You're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Manny?
Speaker 4: What's up?
Speaker 7: DV?
Speaker 5: Happy Mother's eight to all the moms listening and all the moms out there. I was fortunate to be still having my mom here with us, so God bless great. I want to shout out Max, Thank you, David. I want to shout out Max Munsey. You know he's been showing up this year. He's been scoring. I feel like the home runny hit after the great catch by the outfielder today was kind of like something like, he's going to get his runs no matter what it takes. So he got that home run and eventually put us on the board. I want to tip my cap out to Robleski. There was a I don't think this has been mentioned, but he had like a fourteen hitter like streaklist getting them on bass, so our reaching bass. So he shut people down after that bad second inning. And yet yeah, that.
Speaker 2: Was sixteen in a row. We mentioned it at the beginning of the show and it was accurate. Manny.
Speaker 5: Aha, my fault. That's that I'm guilty of tuning in late.
Speaker 2: Today forty five minutes. What were you doing.
Speaker 5: I was eating my lunch.
Speaker 4: I'm getting ready for work.
Speaker 2: See, I got the receipts on you, Manny, and I'm gon got the receipts on the Dodgers. I got the receipts on you, Manny in downtown.
Speaker 5: You got it. You got me. Don't panic on Otani, guys. This is not the time nor the place to start doing this now. And I'm definitely not buying the whole theory about pitchings like messing them up everyone goes through slumps. We're about to get Mookie Bets back, We're about to play the Giants. What better timing to get right than starting tomorrow, So Dodger fans take a deep breath. Six months left, guys, Thanks TV.
Speaker 2: All right, Manny, thank you. And look, I don't think it's a crazy idea to have Mooki Bets lead off eventually, but it's a lot to ask Mookie Bets, who hasn't played in almost a month, to come back and jump start an offense that has been sluggish the last three weeks and have him hit leadoff. That's a lot to ask for a guy that only had five weeks five hits in the first couple of weeks of the season. So I like Dave Roberts resisting that right now. But who knows. Otani's scheduled to pitch on Wednesday. I believe he'll hit that night, but you know, let's see how things go and how Mookie Bets eases into things. It's not like he's gonna play every day right away. He's gonna play tomorrow and Tuesday, get Wednesday off and then you know, get into a regular rhythm. If he's the Mookie Bets from a couple of years ago offensively, and Otani continues to struggle. I see no reason why not to consider seriously having Mookie Bets be the leadoff hitter because he was the best leadoff hitter in baseball from twenty seventeen on. Celebrate ninety years of racing at Santa Anita Park every Friday through Sunday with millions and payouts every race day. For heart pounding action and new experiences, visit Santa Anita dot com slash events. Another reason why the Dodgers need Mooki Bets back and Mookie Bets back as the guy we saw his entire career is the Dodger right handed hitters outside of Andy Pajz haven't done much of anything, and that's the reason why Alex Call or one of the reasons why Alex Call got the start and left field today. Teoscar Hernandez has been scuffling mightily. He has no home runs against lefties, and that's a big reason why the Dodgers signed him before twenty four. He wasn't very good against lefties either last year until his big home run against Christopher Sanchez in the NLDS game one, but during the regular season he wasn't very good against lefties and he's been in a slump too, and Will Smith doesn't have a home run against the lefties. So the Dodgers need Mookie Betts back because there are other two big time right handed hitters outside of Paiaz haven't really been doing much of anything offensively, and before the game, Dave Roberts explained his decision to have Alex call start in left field instead of ta Oscar Hernandez today.
Speaker 8: I do see certainly the timing is off. I think one thing is that you know, he hasn't you know, hit lefties like you know he has in the past. That's one thing.
Speaker 4: I think.
Speaker 8: He's certainly, you know, missing pitches that he should hit. You know, he's fouling them off, whether they're spin or fastballs. I think he's passive, a little too passive at times, you know, getting behind a lot early and it's hard to hit oh one. So I think that the mechanical piece, the approach piece, you know, there's there's some things that I know he's trying to you know, figure out. I think that also it just gives him a chance to, you know, work some things out. But and also you know Alex has earned more playing time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that makes sense to me. I thought the Dodgers sitting ta Oscar today was the right move because it's a night game after a day game. Ta Oscar has looked sluggish at times this year, and you got to keep him fresh. You got to keep Freddie Freeman fresh, You got to keep Will Smith fresh. And Max Munsey looks fresh, but he's thirty five years old. You want him to be fresh at the end of the year. And just to point out the numbers, I mean, as Rick Monday likes to say, the numbers are with the numbers are ta Oscar Hernandez in thirty at bats against left handed pitching this year, does not have a home run and he's only slugging three hundred and his banning average is two thirty three, while Alex call against lefties in limited action is six for twelve against lefties. Dodgers fall to a ridy today and Bryce Elder eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy seven to two the final score. When we continue on Dodger Talk, we'll take more of your phone calls and also we'll check in with Jose Mota as we take you to the top of the hour after the Braves win their first series in LA in three years, beating the Dodgers in the last two games by an identical score of seven to two on a five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 1: On air at AM five seventy, online at AM five seventy LA sports dot com, and available by podcast on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: This is Dodger Talk with David Bassan. Here's the pitch. Two months eason, Range hits a drive deep right field. Hey, packet cost it is gone's two run homer for Max Mounsey and it's five to two. Well, he didn't wait a round. He's got a slider right over the middle of the play. He crushed it for his tenth home run of the season. Kyle Tucker with a two out walk set up that two run home run by Max Munsey in the eighth inning. But the Dodgers go down quietly seven to two, as they mustered only two hits today. That's a season low for them and the Dodgers scoring two runs. That's been a trend they have to change. They've scored two or less runs in seven of their last eleven games. Today, the final score seven to two as Atlanta wins their first series in Los Angeles in three years. Daniels Jewelers presents the home Run Forecast. For your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jeweler's gift card, visit AM five to seventy. Lasports dot Com used the keyword home run and it's your name and you could win. Daniels Jewelers own the Dream. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy. All right, the Dodgers need to close the book on today and on this series and focus on the fact that they have now seven games in a row against two of the worst teams in baseball. They're going to be facing the Happaliss College coach Giants starting tomorrow night, a four game series against the Giants, no joke them and the Mets have the worst record in the National League. And right now the Giants are tied with the Pirates at six. In the bottom of the eleventh inning, they have bases loaded and one out. We'll see whether or not they pull it off, but either way, the Dodgers at the very least should take three out of four from the Giants. They got Roki Sasaki on the mount tomorrow. They're gonna have Yamamoto, Otani and Emitshian pitching the next three games against the Giants. The Dodgers are going to be facing a Giants team without Logan Web pitching in this series because he was placed on the il yesterday. There's no reason to believe the Dodgers shouldn't win at least three out of four, and I would venture to say a sweep would be very realistic. And then from there three games in Anaheim against the Angels, who do have the worst record in baseball. They do have the worst record in baseball. They are awful. I mean, there is no ways around it. They are really bad, and it just seems like everything they do doesn't work, and everybody's very upset about it, from Main Street to you know, Kotela Avenue out there in Anaheim. So the Dodgers should sweep the Angels. They should sweep them. But I'll take two out of three. So you know, winning five of the next seven would help going into San Diego. But I feel like if you're the Dodgers and you got Otani and Yamamoto pitching in this Giant series and you're playing a team that's awful, who just squandered a basis loaded opportunity in the eleventh inning with one out they hit into a double play. I mean, the Dodgers should sweep this team. They are limping in here, and they should beat the Angels as well. So you know, I'm gonna put it out there right now. I'll be satisfied with six out of seven, but the Dodgers need to get healthy in the next seven games against these teams. If we're talking about the totality of a regular season, these are the games where you get healthy and pad your wins. Let's go out to the phones again. Eight six, six nine, eight seven, two five seventy. Milo and Marina del Ray, you're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Milo, what's up DV?
Speaker 4: How you doing.
Speaker 2: I'm doing great. Did Mother's Day with my mom yesterday. So happy to be at the ballpark. And these tote bags they gave away are great for mom. They could come back anytime with this see through bag. So all in all things are good. And with all that being said, Milow, the Dodgers aren't first place.
Speaker 9: Yeah, there's not too much to complain about. I just I had a question about what your opinion is on the age of the team. I sometimes get a little concerned when I see, like the workload on some of these guys, like That's moving to shortstop and Otani taking on this workload, and you know, they're not the young players that they once were, but you know they're obviously still amazing players. And I just want your opinion on that. You know, Freddie Freeman, you know, not hitting three hundred this year, but obviously he has room for growth.
Speaker 2: What's the real thing, Miley, I've been saying it since spring training. That was my biggest concern. You know, off season sometimes age players more than others. But you know, Freddie hitting a home run ninety seven fastball off of Chris Sale was encouraging. He's not a home run hitter, but it's great to see him drive the ball, whether it went over the wall or off the wall. But that's why I was all in favor of Taascar hernandez Gez a day off today, day game after a night game. And the reality is the average age of the Dodgers lineup is the oldest in baseball, So there is that, and I think the Dodgers do a really good job of managing that. But yeah, it's a real thing that is going to have to be managed all season long.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Absolutely. I mean, of course we have the young guys coming up to you, you know. I mean in future years, I definitely see James Tibbs taking the spot over Tao at some point.
Speaker 2: And geez, you're already getting rid of Taale Milo, Geez, never to Hey, loyalty is not part of that Milo and Marina del Ray vocabulary out there.
Speaker 4: No. I love Tao.
Speaker 9: I love Tao, but you know, I think there are things to look forwards to in the future as well.
Speaker 2: All Right, Well, I mean that's great for the Pirates, but it's the Dodgers. They're trying to win a three peat Milo and make histories. So the future is nice for teams like the Pirates, but not for the Dodgers. They're in the moment trying to win it this year. All Right, thank you for the phone call. Have a great rest of your Sunday. Let's go out to Ken in Newport Beach. Ken. I'm not surprised you're calling today, but go ahead. Happy Mother's Day to yours.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thank you. Yeah, last twenty four hours has been a little tough. To be a big sports fan here. First off, I just want to say that you have some really good callers that make strong points. I listened to other stations sports and they're not even close to some of the people that call it here.
Speaker 2: Next level thinking with the next level host, maybe that's the reason why I.
Speaker 4: Can seriously, I think it has a lot to do with this. You make great points.
Speaker 2: I don't think so, but go ahead.
Speaker 4: Well, really good points were made earlier by Nomar. He was saying exactly what I'm thinking. I mean, look, oh, County's a tremendous players. Last ten games, he's hitting one nineteen and then we hear.
Speaker 2: Through all that. We've gone through all that. So what's your solution? Do you want o Tani hitting ninth and Kim leading off? What do you want to do? No?
Speaker 4: I think what what no Bar said is right on. They need to work on what's going on. He's pulling his head, he's the body is way out. They've got hitting coaches. They just need to straighten him out. He's going through a bad streak, but he's a tremendous player, and it hurts when your leadoff man is not getting on base at all. I mean it's earlier in the season, it's going to change.
Speaker 2: But you can't be afraid to coach him. I think that's the biggest thing. Guys like Michael Jordan, Barry Bonds, Tiger Woods, guys like show, Hey Otani, they want to be coached. Uh. They don't want to be just left alone and everybody be there. Yes, man, they want to be coached. And you got to coach a guy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if you see something wrong, like Nomar mentioned, I've been watching him for a while, pull his head and yank, and I think no More needs to get together with him kind of away from everybody else and the dugout and talk to him and say, hey, have you thought about this and thought about that? Because I think he's gotta have a lot of respect for no More.
Speaker 2: I agree with you, Ken, I think Nomar would be the right guy if if it ever happened. No Mar is not going to be the guy to go to Otani. If Otani wants to ask no More for what he's seeing, then Nomar would be happy to help. And that's been his stance with every player. He's not going to cross that line because the Dodgers do have hitting coaches, So if a player wants to approach him, He'll be happy to talk hitting with any of the Dodgers. He's out here during batting practice for every home game when he's doing Sports Net LA. So you know, anytime anybody wants to tap into Nomar, I would say, I always thought Austin Barnes should have tapped into him. I thought a lot of guys should tap into Nomar's standing right there. He's very available if you want to tap into one of the best hitters and a guy that understands hitting. So that's up to Otani or any other player, because no, Mar is not going to undermine any of the Dodgery hitting coaches. And rightfully so, they've they've done something right winning back to back championships. All right, let's check in with Jose Moda.
Speaker 1: It's time to go around the horn with Jose Mota.
Speaker 2: All right, Jose Mota, you brought this up to us, and Otani mentions it in his answers. The posture. The posture has been his butt in the opposing team's dugout when he's swinging. That doesn't seem to be the right posture for Otani to be successful.
Speaker 4: It's not right nowadays, there's no doubt about it. It's clearly you know at some point he gets so worried about the inside pitch. But I'm going to ask you something, how many times have you seen a guy consistently beat you inside. They can beat you inside and show you inside, so you get yourself out and break it back. But you have to be able to at least you know, and get the mentality to become a singles hitter. And that's fine too. Just tell yourself I'm a good singles hitter. Everything's gonna be cut down. You're gonna think more about going up the middle going the other way. No player think singles is thinking about pulling the baseball, And I think, for right now, I'll Showy's implicity should be just that, I mean pasture or not. He just needs to have better slings, make better decisions, and have conviction on those swings right to say, hey, I cannot have all that pitch. I'm gonna let it go by, and to challenge a guy in the mound to repeat it. If he does, you'll beat me. But very rarely do you see guys go out to repeat and getting out in the way.
Speaker 2: They're doing it right, now Jose Mota is joining us on Dodger Talk after the Braves beat the Dodgers today seven to two. But Justin Robleski gets two outs into the ninth inning today. That was a throwback type of start. I mentioned Fernando Valnezuela was the last Dodger to pitch a complete game and give up that many runs in a regular season start, back in nownineteen eighty six. I mean that that is something that you don't see very often. We haven't seen it in forty years as a Dodger.
Speaker 4: And it's so unfortunate. The one bath throw pretty much costs him.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 4: The one thing that's eating him up right now is not the last twelve months. It's not the double dubon, it's that one throw he didn't make. The good thing about our list is he was getting a little punch, you know, a little punchy there with the case in this game. He didn't have havam to strike this last time out, but he continued to glutfer and pitch, continue to get early contact, continue to be economical, and the Briggs hitters will ask you, you know, asking me about this serious started. He's not getting start work from his own. He's not gonna be lucking people, but he's gonna throw strikes and repeat mechanically so consistently that he can go outside and beat you outside with ninety two ninety three. He's up to ninety seven today a couple of times. But it's good this young pitcher just convince himself to not be looking into the bullpen after a rough inning and just amnitude up some innings. They needed hit me from yesterday what happened yesterday and opened to his six innings, and I think he's a great step. I mean, it's so bad that it came back to want th all day because today was again another step in the rise direction from when it comes out to knowing that he can go along in the game.
Speaker 2: What should he have done differently there, because obviously he's still replaying that play in his head. I mean, he was very fortunate Alex Friedland was able to jump and catch that and get his foot down on the second base bag for and out. I mean, he's right. That kind of changed the complexion of that second inning.
Speaker 4: That was pretty much. It is the first play the pictures work on in spring training. The first thing they do in spring training is filling your position, playing catch, starting with a baseball, all tons of things. That's why eighty two up so much to the picture. When things like this happened. In BA snowball, there's a challenge called the mound. Okay, that slope, it could be anatomy sometimes and if you don't practice it enough, we thrown up that hill. It gets in the way. And as he mentioned himself, when that happens, you got to get on top of the baseball a little bit more. But now day, Dave, in modern day baseball, it is not practice a whole lot. And that's why repetitions makes profession. And I'm going to go back to this and if you ask Gamamoto, so Saki or show hey, what happens if they make a play by that in Japan, will make it. It's repetitions. Go back to the back toris and get it done again. Gazel's changed. But it's one of those things that really eat you up because he did so well, but gives one play, is not able to finish it off. Will would have been a superb start, Jose.
Speaker 2: The Dodgers have seven games. I was just mentioning this against two of the worst teams in Baseball, the Giants and Angels, what's realistic for you as far as how they get healthy after a series like.
Speaker 4: This, Go out there and think about tomorrow. Take take care of tomorrow and the Giants and whatever they did to you, because you know, things kind of started going south against the Rockies in Colorado. Then the Giants ate them up and shut them down off. So we in San Francisco, and you know, you have an idea what they have in terms of their starting pitcher, which is very different than the one they saw in San Francisco a couple weeks ago. In their bullpen. They've been scuffling. But you've got to treat them just like you with the Braves and any other place post place team. If you start thinking as a team, here comes inferior teams, you're going to get into a lot of trouble. Just be a good team, have better at bats, grind thro at bats, and forget about results. Just take those team from batting practice and make it as simple as possible. Not things wrong. Again, to say, let's be good. Singles are because you're going to be able to sit to them a little bit longer. And one thing too, Dave, is very important when I've seen teams go like this, and you know, some of the most respected hitting coaches don't forget about the hitting team the meeting and have individual meetings with guys to say this is what they're gonna do to you, this is how you should approach it. And instead of throwing the whole blanket out there an umbrella, how to say this is what this guy does is make a little bit more individual so the guys understand really that we in the batters bots. There's not nine cauys with you out there, it's just you. And now we have a better idea how to break things up. And then you go back to the traditional hiers means about thinking individually about now it's a better message for guys to underself where they're at, what they need to do, and what the giants are going to be able to do.
Speaker 2: All right, Jose, we'll see you back out of the ballpark tomorrow. Enjoy the rest of your Mother's day.
Speaker 4: Happy Mother's Day to all the mamas.
Speaker 2: So leave you there, he goes Jose Motive part of the Dodgers Spanish radio broadcast after the Dodgers fall to the Braves seven to two. Now I still stand firm that I believe the Dodgers should win at least five of the next seven against the Giants and Angels. I know it's hard to sweep a four game series, but at least three out of four against San Francisco, and then I would say a sweep in Anaheim definitely isn't too much to ask when you're the Dodgers and you have this much talent compared to the talent the Angels have. I know, baseball happens, but the tail of the tape says the Dodgers should take three out of four from the Giants, and they should sweep the Angels heading into San Diego. But with everything that we talked about as far as the offense and how it needs to improve, the Dodgers are still tied for first place in the NL West and we're barely through the tenth day of May. So all in all, I would say the rest of the league should be really concerned, considering the Dodger offense has not even come close to scratching the surface of their potential and Otani's been in a perpetual slump for the last three weeks, so that should be scary not to mention Mookie Betts is back tomorrow night, We'll see what decision the Dodgers make. Will it be Kim, will it be Freeland, option to triple A or the wildcard? Like I mentioned last night, how's Miguel Rojas's left hip feeling? Are the Dodgers going to play it conservatively and have Rojas go on the il something he did not do all of last season, so that would alleviate the decision between Freeland and Kim if rojas Is hip is still bothering him from playing. So just keeping in mind when you wake up tomorrow and you're thinking is it going to be Kim? Is it going to be Freeland? And I hope you're not losing sleep over that. The thing that you should be focused on is that Mookie Betts is back. And we'll be starting at short stuff for the Dodgers tomorrow night when they open up a four game series against the Giants, and Roki Sasaki will be on the mount for the Dodgers. He's one and three with an ERA of five ninety seven, going up against Trevor McDonald, who has an ERA of one twenty nine. Our coverage begins at six o'clock tomorrow with first Pitch at seven ten with Rick Monday and Charlie Steiner from Uniclo Field at Dodgers Stadium. That'll do it for us today, thanks to Colin Yee back at our Burbank studios, thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here at Dodgers Stadium, and thanks to you for listening. In case you missed any of the show or our full conversation with no mar Garcia Pari yesterday, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app. That's also where we can hear our one on one pregame conversation with Blake Snell as well. Did that this morning, so you can find all of that on the Dodger Talk channel on the iHeartRadio app. Once again. The final score today the Braves defeat the Dodgers seven to two. Have a great rest of your Sunday. Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there. Steal them to tell the Jean
Speaker 7: Just Dn