Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begun.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth fifth.
Speaker 1: This is World Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: Here we go again. We're going to running back.
Speaker 3: To get in on the show called eight six six eighty seven two five seven, and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: Here's your host, David Vase.
Speaker 2: That day, we are live at Peco Park where the Dodgers tie a season high in runs fifteen runs. Tonight, as the Dodgers beat the Padres, going away, Welcome the Dodger Talk. David Vasse with you until ten thirty tonight right here on AM five to seventy LA Sports. We have phone lines open at eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy. We have a lot to get to tonight on Dodger Talk. I have an update on Will Smith. I have an update on when Blake Snell will return to the Dodger rotation. Also, we have a Dave Roberts official jacket to give away. Yeah, the type of jacket that Dave Roberts wears in the dugout. We got one to give away tonight courtesy of our friends at the fourth quarter, So we're gonna give that away sometime between now and ten thirty. And no, I'm not gonna do a contest. We want a good caller. And maybe I'll throw out a fact that Rick Monday and Steven Nelson gave during the game. And if you were listening to the game, you could be rewarded for being a loyal Dodgers radio listener and win that fourth quarter Dodgers jacket that Dave Roberts wears in the dugout. It's not game used, but it's the replica. It's it's authentic, but it's not a jacket that Dave Roberts has worn before. But it's a great jacket and hopefully you can be the lucky winner of that. And speaking of Dave Roberts, I'm not sure many people realize this, but I've been keeping tabs on this low key. With the win tonight, Dave Roberts is just three wins away from one thousand career managerial wins. Yeah, Dave Roberts three wins away from one thousand in his managerial career. All of those with the Dodgers, so that's pretty impressive. There's a lot of managers that have gotten to one thousand wins, but I'm not sure many of them are getting to it as quickly as Dave Roberts is getting to it. So at some point you have to acknowledge this guy is on the mount Rushmore of Dodger managers, Walter Alston, Tommy Lasorda, and Dave Roberts. Those are the three. And Dave Roberts has won more championships than Tommy Lasorda did. He is closing in on Walter Ralston. So you know, you got to give this tandem of Andrew Freeman and Dave Roberts a lot of credit for the success the Dodgers have had, especially in the last thirteen years. And Dave's been managing the Dodgers for the last eleven So really really impressive resume that Dave Roberts has compiled, and he's not going anywhere. He loves this job and him and Andrew Freeman have something good going. So three championships, three wins away from a thousand in his managerial career. Eight six, six nine, eight seven, two five seventy is the phone number all right, a few things to unpack from this game and coming up later in the show. Not only Dave Roberts giving us an update on Will Smith also getting an update on when Blake's now will return, but Brandon Gomes the Dodgers GM joined us before the game and got a sense of where the Dodgers are at as we get closer to that August third trade deadline. So you'll hear from Brandon and Gomes a little bit later. So for all those people, the hot take people that get a little scared when the heat gets turned up, I guess there's no friction between Dalton Rushing and show Hey Otani. When Rushing hit the back end of back to back home runs in the sixth inning, Otani was on deck and who greeted him? It was Otani. Those two guys on the same page. I was reassured to that yesterday by a couple of Dodger veteran players. Everything was fine by the time they even got on their plane from Minnesota to San Diego. So that is squashed. That drama is no longer there. You can get John boyd read lips all you want, but the Dodgers Rushing Otani have obviously moved forward and Kyle Tucker four RBIs a season high tonight, and you could see his reaction when he hit that home run, how pumped up he was to win that nine pitch at bat and hit a two run home run. We just haven't seen a lot of success from Tucker this season. I'm not ready to declare Tucker is back, but certainly it's great to have a night like tonight because he hasn't had a night like this wearing a Dodger uniform, a season high four RBIs and certainly in some ways a few weights lifted off his shoulder when he hit that home run. And it was great to see all those Dodger fans sitting on the third base side of the stadium on their feet cheering Kyle Tucker. And I'm sure that meant something to him. So happy for Kyle Tucker, low key. Everybody wants to talk about what's not going right for the Dodgers. How about things that are going right for the Dodgers. A lot of it is fifty three wins. They now are back to nine games ahead of the Padres. If they win tomorrow, they leave town ten games ahead of the Pod. How about Tommy Edmond. Nobody seems to talk about this guy, but ever since he came back, all he does is rake Tonight, he was playing pepper off the outfield wall a triple in that nine run sixth inning. He's sitting now close to three point eighty after having a double and a triple tonight in three RBIs. How about Mooki Betts. He's now homered in three straight games. Mookie Betts in his last eighteen games eighty played appearances, hitting three eleven with five home runs a NOPs of nine thirty. He's slugging five sixty eight. The stories of Mookie bets demise have been greatly exaggerated. How many phone calls did I take even just two weeks ago, even on the last homestand that Mookie Bets needs to be benched. Mookie Betts needs to be moved to eighth in the lineup. Going back to last season, in Mookie's last one hundred and two games, he's had in seven eighty two ops. I know it's not Mookie Betts when he was in Boston, but nobody's expecting that. What they are expecting is something like what we're seeing here. In the last twenty games and oh, by the way, playing pretty good defense at shortstop. Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Padres fifteen to three. Dodger fans are excited about it. Let's go out to the phones. Kate in Torrance, you're on Dodger Talk. Lead us off from San Diego.
Speaker 4: Hey, uh, you always say everything I want to say, so just ditt out to what you just said. But I was happy to see Yamamoto get some run support tonight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's been getting run smallt a lot lately.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's much better than last year. But I wanted to just honor Dave roberts legacy, both of a player Adamson by reminding of one of a classic Vince Scully quote where he said, Dave Roberts leaves the Dodgers in dirty uniforms.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's when he was playing. Yeah, he was stealing a lot of basses, getting dirty, and he was getting dirty for the Red Sox, helping them beat the Yankees and win the World Series. Thanks Kate, appreciating more. People need to have a little bit more honor for Dave Roberts. Three wins away now from one thousand career wins in his Dodger managerial career and managerial career period. Let's go out to Redondo Beach. Matthew, you're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi. Matthew, did you realize Dave Roberts was only three wins away from one thousand?
Speaker 1: I did.
Speaker 5: That's amazing for Dave. He's been kicking butt over the years, man, sticking to it and just classy, classy, classy.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know another manager outside of Tommy Lesorda that embodies the Dodgers. I mean, both guys played for the Dodgers, and both guys understand what it's like to be a Dodger. And Walter Alston obviously never met him, but he was the ultimate gentleman. That was one of the tougher managers that you would ever play for. But he was a winner too. So yeah, kudos to you, Matthew for having some appreciation for Dave Roberts these days.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Dave. I wanted to give up some appreciation for Kyle Tucker too, you know, he's being a lost blackout there for not coming through for us. But I disagree. All those RBIs means he's been hitting with rather than scoring position, no matter what his other stats are, and that's what matters. And tonight he showed us what matters and put up four RBIs really quick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we haven't seen that. I mean three hits four RBIs a two run home We just haven't seen that. And I think people, you know, obviously want more and rightfully so he shouldn't be hitting two thirty four. He knows that. That's not Kyle Tucker. But he has had some good moments. I think back to his game tying three run home run against the Rays. I think back to a walk off earlier in the year. I forget against which team, but he has had some moments and tonight was a good moment for him.
Speaker 6: And we have all these guys with beautiful swings, I mean Pots and Tucker on top of a Tani and Muncie. I mean, these guys swings are just amazing to watch.
Speaker 2: The Dodgers have really good players, Matthew, and that sixth inning was a sneak peek of what they should be doing as an offense. They're not going to score fifteen runs every night, but they have a really good offense that is going to grind down the opposing starting pitcher or in this case, the bulk innings pitcher. And you know, we were talking about all these other players, and even O'tani didn't have a monster game, he was along for the ride tonight. So that's even more impressive that the Dodgers could put up nine runs in the sixth inning and score fifteen runs. And Otani doesn't homer and doesn't really have the lead in tonight's game. Even though Otani was two for five with two runs scored, he was not the guy that had the big hit or the monster home run. Kyle Tucker Dalton rushing back to back home runs in the sixth inning, fifth time this year the Dodgers have done that. And of course Mookie Betts with the big home run to cap off that nine run sixth inning. And how about this fun fact about Andy Poez. Low key, he had two walks tonight. We all know Andy's a free swinger. It's the first time Andy Pohez has drawn two walks in a game since last August. How about that. Let's go out to Kenyon Country Ian. You're on Dodger Talk with David Vasse. How you doing Ian, I'm doing well.
Speaker 7: David A lot to talk about this game, man. First of all, Dave Roberts only three was away for a thousand three wins. That's awesome. Then Yosi, Man, their motive pitched great and what a win. Alex Bessi is striking out side of the in the sixth that's dominant, man, cal hurt didn't making job Man, that was amazing.
Speaker 2: Yes, it was hey. With Vesia going up against Machado, the bases were loaded and Machado has fourteen career Grand slams, so it wasn't now in the realm of possibility that he hits one right there, and if he does, all of a sudden, it's a ten to seven game. So that was That was a huge out by Alex Vessia. The game was not put away at that point in time, especially when Machado can change it with one swing. Eight sixty six seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Padres fifteen to three tonight and Tonight's game brought to you by Modello Modello The Mark of a Fighter. Let's go out to Mike and Palmdale. Hi, Mike, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 8: Hey, David, uh killer effort tonight, seventeen hits. But I'm gonna tell you something. I'm driving from Palm Desert to the LBC, and I just had the joy of listening to Rick Robert James Rick Monday Junior, eighty years old on a Saturday night, just crushed the nine runs sixty. I mean, it was such a treat to listen to him. I just we're blessed to have him. You know, everybody you know blessed, Denny, but Rick is awesome too, man. And I got a question for you, David got the game tonight? We're not fifteen to three, making Mike.
Speaker 2: Before you get to your question, I just want to echo your sentiments because Rick Monday may be the most underappreciated Dodger broadcaster that we have. But if you've been listening to him on the radio since he took over for Big D in nineteen ninety three, he's been he's been part of the Dodger fabric as far as the broadcast booth for a very long time. And he's he's still going strong, eighty years young. I hope I'm in as good as shape as Rick Monday when I'm eighty years old one day, God willing I make it to.
Speaker 8: Ay, I know, could you imagine eighty years old Saturday night, San Diego. You're just kicking it calling the game at eighty dudes. I mean, that's not normal. That is not.
Speaker 2: Those pipes great pipes.
Speaker 8: Oh I know, I know. I mean, I'm fifty six. I remember him when he played. I was blessed to see him then with the whole crew. Okay, good night, Danny me. You're up fifteen to three. Once two three comes up, Miggy Roe's in there. He knocks all three down. Are those guys on the potter is just wanting to go home? Or is it Maggy Rose talent? I wasn't there. I'm listening to it on the radio. That's embarrassing and defeating to me, David, Great, Well, Mike.
Speaker 2: In that situation fifteen to three, Uh, and you got Miggy Roe pitching, you gotta be swinging. Nobody's trying to work nine to ten pitch walks. In that situation. The game's over for all purposes, intensive purposes, So uh, swing away and uh I think that's that was the Uh, that was the way it goes even for the Dodgers. In the top of the ninth inning, they're swinging away first pitch, swinging. Don't be sitting there if it's in the zone, swing away.
Speaker 8: I agree. I agree. David Hey, thank you for the radio show every night, love it and everything you do for the for the Dodgers of sports in LA. Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: Thanks, Mike, appreciate the phone call. Man. I was close to giving him that jacket. He was. The way he was singing Rick Monday's praises, you know, that won me over right there. But I got something for you guys, if you were listening like our guy right there in Palmdale, I will give you a chance to win the authentic Dodger jacket similar to the one that Dave Roberts wears in the dugout. Not game warn by Dave Roberts, but the one the style that he wears. So Rick Monday and Steven Nelson as they were promoting Dodger Talk. Also we're given some fun facts about Dave Roberts' managing career. If you can tell me how many runs the Dodgers scored on opening Day in twenty sixteen, that Rick and Stephen were talking about. I will get give you a chance to win that authentic jacket courtesy of our friends at fourth Quarter. Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. By the way, if you're headed a chevezravine on this upcoming road trip, stop by the fourth Quarter Shop just ten minutes north of the stadium for custom Dodgers gear. The fourth Quarter Shop where LA fans gear up. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number when we come back your phone calls. Also, we'll get to those Trek Schooble trade rumors. I'll let you here where Brandon Gomes the Dodgers GM had to say about the Dodgers as they get closer to that August third trade deadline. I have an update on when Snell will pitch. I have an update on when or who knows when Will Smith will return to the starting lineup. So a lot to get to as we continue until ten thirty tonight live from Peco Park after the Dodgers blow out the Padres fifteen to three on a five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 3: Dodger Talk is available on AM five seventy LA sports dot com hand on the iHeartRadio app back to more Dodger talk with Dodger insider David Basse and for.
Speaker 9: Tucker, Dodgers really been waiting him to lock in all year outside a two week stretch. The ninth pitcher in basket is Tucker hits a high drive to right field. Forget about it, lom gone for a two run shot and perhaps perhaps mo Today's the day that Kyle Tucker truly starts his twenty twenty six season five to one Dodgers.
Speaker 2: That was a good feeling moment for Kyle Tucker and the Dodgers as Tucker hits a two run home run part of a nine run sixth inning. Tucker finishes with a season high four RBIs tonight as the Dodgers beat the Padres fifteen to three. Daniel S. Jewelers presents the home Run Forecast for your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jeweler's gift card visit AM five seventy. Lasports dot Com used the keyword home run and to your name you could win. Daniels Jewlers Own the Dream. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number if you were listening to Rick Monday and Steven Nelson, you can tell me the parallels between Dave Roberts' first managerial win and tonight's win just three shy of one thousand in his career. Uh. Before we get to that, though, how about Freddie Freeman. Freddy Freeman's going strong. You know everybody was thinking that Freddy Freeman was getting a little too old. Well, if you saw the play he made tonight in the third inning, he is moving bet than we have seen him move around first Ace in a couple of years. Freddie Freeman was very frisky. In that third inning. He made a jump throw on a ground ball double play to Mookie Betts. On a ground ball from Will Wagner, the left handed hitting Will Wagner hit a ground ball to Freddie Freeman with a runner at first, Freddie steps on first base and jump throws to Mookie Betts, who got the runner Miguel Andrew Harr in a mini rundown. Freddie Freeman, are you kidding me? And oh, by the way, Freddie three more hits tonight, including his five hundred and sixty eighth career double So frisky Freddy in San Diego tonight and his dad and his stepmom, Alma, were sitting right next to the Dodger dugout. So that was pretty cool as well. Eight six six eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Allie, who is at Petco Park to night. Hi, Allie, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 7: Hey, David, thank you for having me.
Speaker 8: I appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Hey, my pleasure. Did you come to the game with your parents?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I went with my dad for my fourteenth birthday.
Speaker 2: Hey, happy birthday. That's a great birthday, President, not only coming to the game to see Dodgers Padres in San Diego, but you got to see a really entertaining game too.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I'm going back to that that question you asked before the martial break. I got the answer. It's fifteen fifteen to zero.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was, it was, That's what it was. All right. Well, it's your birthday. This jacket is one size. It's extra large, Allie. I'm not sure you would fit in it, but if you hold on, I'll find something else out of the prize closet for you.
Speaker 7: All Right, sounds great, Thank you.
Speaker 2: All right, Happy birthday. Eight six six seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to La Palma. Kenny, you're on Dodger Talk. By the way, Colin get all these information. I'll send him something from the David Vsat Price closet. Hi, Kenny, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 10: Hey, Dave, I met you last at the Downey Hyundai event. I talked to you almost at the end, and it's a prelude to the town of Dave Roberts question. I asked you whether you thought Dave Roberts was the greatest Los Angeles Dodger manager Dodgery history. You reference that, you know, maybe Walter Elson might have had four, but it's the parallel universe going to Timelessortias that you know, he he lost the first couple of roads series. You know, it was difficult, just like Losorta, and it's a parallel universe. And you go to Friedman and Gibson and then the strike shortened season and uh just the COVID you know, previate season. It almost lines up. But you know, to me, he is the greatest Dodger manager. He's already on par Like I mentioned to you that you know, as far as the number of road series in La Dodger history. He's already got three and he's only won away from breaking him as far as the La Dodger history. So I think his friend is that he's going to break the aggregate of four even against Walter Austin's World series. So that's my takeaway. And you know, going back to your question, it's fifteen nothing. I think somebody else mentioned about it, but that's my my perspective. And our organization got him in twenty nineteen, and we talked about that in our meet and greet, and we're trying to get him again because he's worth He's worth v Kenny's for his story and what he does for this city and the way he manages his players through the end and flows with all the noise in the background. But he's kind of like the Zimi Master, like Phil Jackson, So he's that's yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, he's really grown into the job, Kenny, and he's done a fantastic job. And I do remember meeting you at Downey Hundai, So thanks for coming out, and it was great that you got a chance to meet Dave Roberts. So thank you for the phone call, Kenny appreciated. Yeah, you look at it I mean, already he has separated himself as far as accomplishing something that no other Dodger manager has ever done, and that's leading the Dodgers to back to back World Series championships. So already he's in his own classification there, and as the Dodgers are going for the three pete, he's looking to really separate himself. All right, this is the true test. Anybody can look up the right answer all that. But I want to know if you were really listening to Rick Monday and Steven Nelson tonight. So, Joseph in South Pasadena, I'm going to put you to that test. Were you listening to Rick Monday and Steven Nelson late in the game, eighth inning, ninth inning.
Speaker 1: Joseph, Yes, yes, I was day, Yes I was.
Speaker 2: Okay, So referenced the parallels between tonight's win and Dave roberts win. I think we've all established that Dave Roberts won his first game here fifteen to nothing. But here it is, Joseph, here's the real test. If you didn't just go look online for that answer and you were truly listening, who did Rick Monday and Steven Nelson reference that only calls Dodger talk when they lose. It was in the same period of time in the eighth inning when they were talking about Dave Roberts and winning his first game fifteen to nothing here at Petco Park.
Speaker 6: All right, they said it was it was you're right, it's a gentleman that calls in.
Speaker 7: I believe he lives in Long Beach. No or oh shoot, I know.
Speaker 5: They said, it's a guy that calls in like twice.
Speaker 8: Or something recently. But yeah, you're right, he only calls in when they lose.
Speaker 5: I didn't catch his name.
Speaker 8: Did they actually say his name on the radio?
Speaker 2: They said it? Hold on, I'm gonna get jose in Hermosa Beach on the line of her, Jose say, how did Joseph in South Pasadena? Jose? All right, Jose, here's the true test. Do you do? You know what I'm talking about? Were you truly listening to Rick Monday and Steven Nelson tonight?
Speaker 8: I was, But I'll switching between the soccer game.
Speaker 10: Two the soccer game.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, they tied, Wow, big deal? Okay, great?
Speaker 4: Yeah, all right, all right.
Speaker 2: That's the tiebreaker. I'm giving it to Joseph. Joseph in South Pasadena. You went the jacket courtesy of the fourth Quarter jose I hope soccer was that giving to you. Thanks a lot for switching back and forth there.
Speaker 8: Yeah, sorry, man, no worries, all right.
Speaker 2: All right, all right, well hold on, hold on, and we'll get your information in a second.
Speaker 10: There.
Speaker 2: Congratulations to Joseph who was a loyal Dodgers radio listener, not just looking things up online. He wins the Dave Roberts replica jacket and it is all courtesy of our friends at the fourth Quarter Shop, just ten minutes north of the stadium for custom Dodgers gear. The fourth Quarter Shop is where la fans gear up. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Padres tonight fifteen to three, and Dave Roberts is just three wins away from one thousand managerial wins, so that's significant in itself. We are going to clear these lines so we could get back to uh Dodger fans. I want to talk Dodger baseball and not just win prizes. But before we do that, I had a chance to catch up with Dodgers GM Brandon Gomes before the game and before I want we we let you hear from Brandon about the trade deadline and whether or not it's too early to even think about that, considering the trade deadline this year is August third. I wanted to weigh in on everybody, just automatically, assuming the Dodgers are going to pull the trigger on Tarek's schoolble, what makes you think the Dodgers need Trek Schouble as much as these other teams need Trek Schouble. Blake Snell is coming back. Blake Snell pitched really well for the Dodgers down the stretch and in the first three rounds before his body started to break down a little bit, but he still was out there pitching. And Blake is feeling great. But he's at the beginning of where pitchers usually are when they start spring training, So he's six weeks away from being game ready, and that would put the last or the homestand in the final week of July six weeks from now where you could even consider Blake Snell coming back to pitch. But he's gonna be back, and he is going to pitch, and there's no reason to believe that he's gonna have any other setbacks. So you got Snell, you got Otani, you got Yama Moto for the postseason, and Tyler Glassnew the people I've talked to around the Dodgers expect him to be back in the second half of the season and very capable again like he did last year, to be the fourth starter for an October run. And also, if for whatever reason, Tyler Glass now can't be that guy, how about Justin Robleski he could be that guy. How about Justin Robleski and a bunch of really good relievers being that guy in a fourth game. How much better is Trek skugbel than a Snell, a Yama Moto or an Otani for the Dodgers to give up significant prospects to acquire a rental, giving up six years of control of some of these guys. And I understand they're going for the three peat, and the Dodgers have shown they will go after that player if they feel that they need him. Now. A lot can change between now and August third, But just for argument's sake, right now, as we stand, the Dodgers are very confident that Snell and Glass now are going to be ready for the stretch run in October. If for whatever reason, Glass now's not. Maybe that changes things, but we're still talking about Schoolbol not being one of the first three starters. And there's an argument to be made that he is or he isn't significantly better than Otani, Yamamoto and Snell. I think there's a very good argument to say that he's not significantly better. How much better is Schooble. So you've been listening to Dodger talk this season, you haven't really heard me talk about school Bowl and can't wait for the Dodgers to trade for school Bol. I'm not sure the Dodgers needs schooball to the lengths that it would take to get him. And if you do get school Ball, here's something to consider. Would he pull a mac Schurezer because he is getting closer to his first big payday? Would he pull a Sureser? Would he say, No, I don't think I could go on three days rest. No, I don't think I could go on four days rest. No, I don't think I could pitch out of the bullpen. That would be something in the back of my head as well, if on the Dodgers, because they went through that where Max Scherzer put mac Schuerzer ahead of the Dodgers going to the World Series in twenty twenty one, and school Ball may do the same thing. I think that is a fair question to have before you trade for school Ball. Would he pull a mac Sure's I don't believe it's out of the question. And also, do the Dodgers upgrade significantly by acquiring Schooble and trading one of their better young players, maybe two or three young players that it would take to acquire him. The Dodgers won the twenty four World Series with one and a half starters. Last year they did it with three or four starters and move some starters into the bullpen to win the World Series. So there's no guarantee that you acquire Schooble and he is going to put you over the top. The Dodgers are the back to back champions and have won it with a pitching staff that was constructed a lot differently from each other in these two years. Not to mention, I have reservations about how much school Ball would allow the Dodgers to push him going into free agency if it was just a rental, Because there's no guarantees the Dodgers with this new CBA, whatever it looks like could keep Schooble, So I I those are things to consider. I'm not all in that the Dodgers need to trade for Trek Scouble. And here was part of our conversation with Dodgers GM Brandon Gomes. Obviously he can't talk about other players on other teams, but I wanted to get a sense of where things stand right now for the Dodger front office, being that the trade deadline is not until August third, and so many people are talking about Schooble and other players like the trade deadline is in a week. Here's what Brandon Gomes had to say about where the Dodgers are and where their heads are at as we are a little under two months away from the trade deadline on August third.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I mean, obviously everybody likes to ty. It's a good news cycle, and China understand what you know each team, where they're gonna be in standings and what the team needs are. You know, as we stand here today, you know, with the guys coming back, which will probably be around that time, you know, it's gonna be hard to go out and acquire better players than than what we actually already have in house. And a lot of you know, our aggression in the past few off seasons is to avoid the deadline and be paying a huge premium for you know, rental players or guys that.
Speaker 12: You know.
Speaker 11: You know it may not be as good as you already have in house, so a lot of it is wait and see see how the next you know, a couple of weeks, month or two play out. But with the current team we have and the guys that are coming back, we feel really good about this group and that we're more than a championship caliber type of team.
Speaker 2: Back to back World Series champions, fifty two wins. And yet it seems like you have the most ass sets of any team because of your drafting, your development, so many great young players in your farm system. I would imagine that's unusual where teams want what you have when you're in this position.
Speaker 11: Yeah, we're very fortunate. We have such an amazing scouting group PD you know, and part of you know, an aggressive ownership group is to be able to go out and get guys in the offseason and not necessarily have to dip into your farm system to.
Speaker 10: Go out and get players.
Speaker 11: So, you know, it's a true organizational win to be able to have the prospects that we have right now, and you know, the rankings that we have, and you get to hopefully watch these guys develop and play out and come up and impact a major league team over you know, the next few years. And you know, it's always striking the balance between winning championships now in long term. And you know, like I said, right now, the current group that we have here in the big leagues, we feel great about going out and trying to run a third championship in a row. So we'll continue to assess what it looks like on the market and if there's a meaningful upgrade somewhere. We've shown that we're not afraid to do that, but feel great about this current group.
Speaker 2: All right, there's Brandon Gomes the Dodgers GM about where the Dodgers stand and what they're thinking as we get closer to that August third trade deadline, and the full conversation could be heard on the iHeartRadio app. Had a great talk with Brandon about a lot of things surrounding the Dodgers and a lot of positive things. The reality is the best team in baseball and they're the defending World Series champions and they haven't been completely healthy all year long. I know a lot of teams can say that, But they just got Tom Edmand back, and they're getting Taoscar Hernandez back on Monday when they open a series in Sacramento against the A's. Evan Phillips is going to come back on the next homestand all they need is Will Smith to come back, and that is a lot lot less certain. So I'll get to Will Smith in a second, but just circling back just to put a bow on what Brandon Gomes was saying, sounded like he agreed with what I just said. It's got to be a significant upgrade for the Dodgers to pull the trigger on trading guys in their minor leagues. They're really good outfield group in the minor leagues and giving away guys like River Ryan or Amid Shean, whatever you think about Amid Sheen or River Ryan, those guys are valuable assets that other teams want. Other teams want Zay your Hope and Mike Serota and jose Way de Paula. I'm sure the Tigers want them, but is it really worth it to get Trek's scooble and trade away those young players for Schooble, who's great, no doubt about it. But the Dodgers have three to four really good starting pitchers. Is that really where you want to spend those prospect assets? And maybe you could use them, you know, down the road or during the offseason considering where the unknown is with this new collective bargaining agreement. And look, the Dodgers have never operated under Andrew Freeman and Brandon Gomes acquiring a player just so another team can have them. That's not the way they think. So if Schoolball's going to the Yankees, go ahead. If it doesn't fit what they think they need, They're not going to trade for school Bowl just so the Yankees or the Braves or the Phillies can't have him. That's just not how they operate. And like I said, the Dodgers have Yamamoto, who is arguably the best right hander in baseball. They got Otani, who is the best player on the planet, who has nasty, filthy stuff, and they got Snell. Snell will be back, so I'm putting him in that group. And the Dodgers won the World Series two years ago with a shell of the staff that they had last year, and the shell of a staff that they have this year, so there's no guarantees, like I said, And by the way, the Mariners they made Terrek Scooble look pretty human in the postseason last year. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. All right, let's get to Will Smith, because you can't talk enough about how much he means to the Dodgers. He's one of, if not the most clutched player on their team. He caught every single inning of last year's World Series, including the eighteen inning marathon. But he is thirty one years old. He's had concussions with foul balls off his mask, he's had what a broken wrist last year as well, broken hand, broken wrist, and now he's got a neck issue, and there just doesn't seem to be a lot of clarity on when he So I circled back again before the game today to ask Dave Roberts about when he believes Smith may return.
Speaker 13: I know we ask you about Will a lot, but you know, going back to circling when he may return, do you think it's something that could happen before the All Star break or do you feel like this has gone in a direction where he may not return until.
Speaker 12: After Yeah, you know, I think we're all surprised how long it's taken. I hope he's back before the All Star break, but the more time he's off, he's gonna have to play some games, so that kind of cuts into the time of return to us. So yeah, I really don't know, and I don't want to add any pressure to him. I want him to be healthy and then once he gets healthy, then we can have that conversation.
Speaker 2: All right, So it's happened quickly. We're already past the halfway point for the Dodgers. When the Dodgers return home after this nine game road trip, through one more here in San Diego, three more in Sacramento, they open up an extended homestand but after that homestand's over, it's the All Star breaks. So if Will Smith still isn't doing any baseball activities, it doesn't sound like he's coming back on this homestand before the All Star break. And we hope you join us out at Dodgers Stadium because the Dodgers are home for the Fourth of July weekend and the Padres are going to be in town for four games, So hopefully you're able to make it out to Dodger Stadium before the All Star Break. The Dodgers when they return back home next Thursday or this upcoming Thursday, four games with the same padres, three with the Rockies and three more with the Diamondbacks, and then it's the All Star break. So if Will Smith isn't doing baseball activities, how can you tell me he's coming back before the All Star Break. It's just not going to happen, especially when Dave Roberts is talking about him having to play some rehab games. It just doesn't seem to add up. And you just got to keep your fingers crossed that Will Smith can't come back after the All Star break. And I know what everybody always says when it comes to the Dodgers, they just want to be healthy in October. But Dalton Rushing is capable. This is a silver lining. They have a player like Rushing. They didn't trade away Rushing. But no disrespect to Chuckie Robinson, the Dodgers don't really have a veteran backup catcher, and you like to have a veteran backup catcher. So look, Dalton Rushing is a capable fill in playing every day he hit a home run tonight. He has a strong throwing arm. Say whatever you want about everything else surrounding him. He cares. He's got a big heart. He's emotional. But Will Smith is Will Smith, a three time World Series champion. He's a steadying force on the field. As a catcher, Dalton Rushing is really good, but Will Smith is one of the top two three catchers hitting catchers, especially in all of baseball. They need Will Smith back. And anytime you're talking about a neck injury, Dave Roberts can't seem to tell us what it exactly is. Whenever you're talking about a neck injury, I'm sorry, that's concerning, no matter how much you want to say it's not so. I hope Will Smith is on the road to recovery, and I hope he's able to come back when the Dodgers begin the second half of the season. On that East Coast road trip, it's a wild one. I don't remember the Dodgers ever having this type of East Coast road trips. I've been traveling with them the last fifteen years. Yankees, Phillies and then back to New York to play the Mets. That's a grueling road trip right there, and that's coming off the All Star break, and you know, East coast road trips are never easy for teams on the West Coast, So that's gonna be a tough test right there. But it should be fun. It should be exciting. Every time the Dodgers are at Yankee Stadium, it's amazing. Every time the Dodgers are in Philly. When the Phillies are this good, it's amazing. So there'll be some electricity in those series. There'll be electricity at Petco Park tomorrow as well as the Dodgers look to win the series and extend their lead over the Padres to ten games. In the nlst em Itt Sheen will be on the mound for the Dodgers. He's looking to put together his first start of the year. There's been pieces, there's been parts, there's been innings, but he hasn't put it all together, and the Dodgers are hoping he's able to do that. Tomorrow. He's going up against Michael King, who is five and six this year with an ERA of three point thirty three. Our coverage begins at noon tomorrow with first pitch at one ten with Rick Monday and Steven Nelson on the call. And by the way, I found something out. You know, with a six man rotation, IMA she and only pitches once a week, and it seems to land on every Sunday. So I asked him how much that affects him, and he said, the way he compensates for only pitching once a week these days is that he throws two bullpen sessions in between starts. So that's a that's a caveat to how he stays ready for only pitching once a week. We look forward to talking to you from Peco Park tomorrow. Thanks for staying up late with us on this Saturday night. I hope you're being safe out there. And in case you missed our managers meeting with Dave Roberts before the first game of this series yesterday, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app. And that's all presented by our friends at Downy Hunday and today our pregame conversation was with Dodgers GM Brandon Gomes. Thanks to Colin Ee back at our Burbank Studios, Thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here at Petco Park in San Diego, and thanks to you for listening and to everyone that called in tonight. It was a great show, a fun night, especially when the Dodgers put up nine runs in the sixth inning and score a season high fifteen to beat the Padres fifteen to three. We will talk to you tomorrow afternoon. Have a great rest of your night, Be safe, seal