Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begne.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 1: This is World Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: Here we go again. We're gay running.
Speaker 1: Back to get in on the show called eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you catch your podcasts. Here's your host, David Vase.
Speaker 3: Last day, we're.
Speaker 2: Live at Corsfield as the Dodgers are off to their best start since nineteen seventy seven, a fifteen.
Speaker 3: And four record.
Speaker 2: After beating the Rockies tonight by a final score of seven to one. Welcome the Dodger Talk David Vase live at Corsefield with you until nine thirty. We have phone lines open at eight and sixty six nine, eight seven, two five seventy. I know there's not a lot to complain about. You could call in and say, oh, Kyle Tucker isn't performing well. Well, it's only twenty games in. I have a good feeling that Kyle Tucker is going to hit at some point this season. Andy Paez off to a great start. Te Oscar Hernandez did not have a great night offensively, kind of felt like he's like me, he doesn't really function well in the cold. I don't function well in the cold. But we got through it tonight as it was thirty five degrees at first pitch. There was snow all day in downtown Denver, which was expected, but they were saying, you know what, it's not gonna stick. It's not gonna be more than a half inch. Well, it turned out to be closer to two inches, and it did stick to the ground, and there was the field at Corsefield two o'clock was covered in snow, and not just a little snow, snow like if you go to Mammoth or or snow like if you go to Big Bear. That's the kind of snow that was at Course Field. And it was nice and powdery so you could make snowballs, and a few of the players, Emma gen Alex Freeland and a coach, Mark Pryor, were able to make some sizeable snowballs that hit my fleshy body a few times. But I would have said, I know, there's the business side of things, but if you really wanted to be smart about this for both sides' sake. You wouldn't have played tonight thirty five degrees. It snowed all day, It's gonna warm up the next three days. You got a day game on Sunday, you got a night game on Monday, you got another night game tomorrow. You could have played tonight's game any one of those other three days instead of trying to risk injuries. So you know, I just don't. I wasn't in the Dodgers and Rockies playing this game tonight. But hey, whether you play tonight or tomorrow or three days from now, four days from now, the Dodgers are still going to win this game. I mean, if you look at this Rockies lineup, how many guys do you know in this lineup? I could tell you coming into the game. I know who Ezekiel Tovar was. I know who Mickey Moniac was. He's been around. I know Brenton Doyle, I know Jake McCarthy, and I know Kyle Carros. This is a very Paul deep Podesta type lineup, and they're not gonna go anywhere this season. They're in last place. They have the same record as the Mets. The only good thing about the Mets.
Speaker 3: Is that they got a little bit more tellent, I guess.
Speaker 2: But the Rockies are seven and thirteen, already eight and a half games back of the Dodgers, and the Dodgers I mentioned off to their best start to a season since nineteen seventy seven. And the Dodgers through their first nineteen games are fifteen and four with the best record in Baseball, and the Rockies now eight and a half games back after losing this one, coming off the Dodgers beating them eleven out of thirteen times. And oh, by the way, the Dodgers still have not lost a game to the National League. They are undefeated against the National League to begin this year. They're ten to zero, sweeping the Mets. They swept the Diamondbacks on the opening series. The only games the Dodgers have lost are to the Blue Jays, to the Guardians, and to the Rangers.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 2: Those are the only four losses they have and their two American League teams eight six nine, eight seven, two five seventy is the phone number we'll get to your phone calls. We'll hear from t Tyler Glass now on Maximunsey in a moment, but Jose Mota needs to get on that nine to fifteen or ten to fifteen mountain time bus.
Speaker 3: So let's get to Jose.
Speaker 1: It's time to go around the horn with Jose Mota.
Speaker 2: All right, Jose Mota, we have heard so much about Tyler Glass now being a different guy mentally this year.
Speaker 3: Did he pass a big test tonight?
Speaker 4: Yes he did. He passed it last October until November because he's a different mentality. I think we all know what happened around this time last year in Philadelphia where it was like the elements and something didn't work out. And for knowing things now ball, it was good to see Dave his face on the mounds, not chasing rikals and more than anything, and you're six' eight and he throwed ninety seven ninety eight. Guys don't want to see fastballs. He did a very good job not forcing the break the ball, which times you know he can't find here. He kept talking about him not he kept saying that he wasn't feeling all that great, but you know what, the stuff was good enough to get people out that the dogs wouldn't needed to go. And mainly to Dave say that bullpen that is a big, big, step in the first game here at Undon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the only reliever used in the game tonight was Jack Dryer with no undershirt. He went short sleeves for the last two innings of the game tonight. And I guess, like when you say he attacked with the fastball in cold weather like this, that's not something you want to see from anybody.
Speaker 4: I would imagine, no, especially if you're six eight and you're out there and take don't gay I don't want to hit the ball off the end of the that. I don't want to get jammed. But he was smart enough to know that use the elements. That's why I say, Dave, you know, and the big least you have so much information and everything's pretty much digestive for you, but you got to use your senses and say, Okay, what was the most uncomfortable thing I can do against the ABS today? For them, they don't want to see heats, They don't want to see anything around their hands. I have to show my heater.
Speaker 3: Enough.
Speaker 4: He was multi fastball today, which is remarkable. And they need threw the breakaball with forcing the issue on it, without making it better than it's supposed to be, because you know, pitching. This elevation is so tough, but certainly a big step with a great pace on the mountain. Lot of rhythm that I see and getting the ball and just get those guys to get to all quickly.
Speaker 2: What did you think about playing the game tonight? Would you have been in favor of playing a doubleheader one of the next three days?
Speaker 4: I say, if you're here, and they say, you can play play the game. The conditions themselves, which is what Major League Baseball looks at in terms of the cold as is one thing, but the conditions of the field was ideal. So it's going to play baseball. So don't tell Max Munsey. The discumptould not have but they come on now. No, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Like I said, I think it feels like you could play this game three days from now and the outcome probably is going to be the same.
Speaker 4: Hey, it's funny how Dave Robinson was talking in the office today when you were there about the cold Is game. He's played to me same thing, Buffalo, New York, twelve degrees on a day game, day game, Buffalo New York. I'll never forget that. In the nineties, it was fun, but you know, for the Dodgers today too, is the way they went about it. You think about you already talked about this day, how the first run was scored, how the Dodgers continued to beat you in so many different ways. Slugging is great, but also the contributions one through nine with an ideal that bat in the first inning to move guys over. That's why I always said that baseball the finds a way to reward you, Tucker and the rest of the team because they started thinking more about not themselves individually here in the cords and they put up the big numbers. How about the team had up to double Batani playing goods from the metal baseball and it just transpired all throughout the game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I find it hard to believe the Dodgers are going to lose a game. Maybe the only wild card in this series is when Roki Sasaki pitches, but even then, the Rockies just don't have enough to match up with the Dodgers offense in this four game series.
Speaker 4: Here's one one thing we know the Dodgers when you know they hit a little slip here and there's moly going to be based on the offense not doing enough but also beating themselves, and that was what happened, uh, you know, in one of our four losses. But it's baseball, you know, to win one hundred games, Dave, in six months, you know how many of you have to lose in a month? Ten average. That's a lot, and they all hurt, right if you're looking at that way, A t hundred and you go, wow, you got to play, you know, all those games and lose ten in a month. It's a lot, but none the less, that's what you get to one hundred wins. And I think this team is way above live right now.
Speaker 2: All right, Jose, get on that bus. We'll see you out here tomorrow. With the temperatures a little bit warmer.
Speaker 4: Dave, I just saw you know what, buy you and you know what, thanks for being sol accommodating my friend.
Speaker 2: Hey, hop on that bus, Gus, thanks a lot, joseos I there he goes, literally Jose Mota getting on the bus back to the team hotel. After the Dodgers beat the Rockies tonight seven to one, eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Here's something interesting as far as the starting pitcher matchup, againgainst Otani today.
Speaker 3: I mentioned this during the Clubhouse show, but it bears repeating.
Speaker 2: Tomo Yuki, Sugano and Shohyotani faced each other twice in Japan. Otani was two for two against Sagano when they played against each other in Japan, and then last year he hit two home runs off of Segano, and then tonight he leads off the game with a double and then in his next at bat Otani singled, So he was six for six against Sagano before striking out in the fifth inning, and that was in the fourth inning, and that was the only time he has not had a hit against Sagano in their head to head matchups. So a fun fact there, as far as Otani and Sagano goes.
Speaker 3: Celebrate ninety years of.
Speaker 2: Racing at Santa Anita Park every Friday through Sunday with millions and payouts every race day. For heart pounding action and new experiences, visit Santa Anita dot com slash Events. We're gonna take our only time out here on Dodger Talk when we come back, your phone calls, plus we'll hear from Tyler glass Now and Max Munsey. After the Dodgers win their fifteenth game, of the year beating the Rockies seven to one on A five seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 1: On air at AM five to seventy, online at amfive seventy LA sports dot com, and available by podcast on the iHeartRadio app. This is Dodger Talk with David Massei.
Speaker 5: Typically it's been a weakness for them, but so far it's been okay. Bunchie swings hits a drive tap right peeled. Maxwell's swinging the should hammer off the facing of the upper deck. He's got his second home run of the night. It is six to one.
Speaker 2: Max Munsey went deep twice tonight. The first one went four hundred and thirty four feet. He is uh he when he hits the home runs, they're coming in bunches at least to start the year. He homers twice, he doubles in a run. He finishes with three hits and three RBIs and the Dodgers beat the Rocky seven to one. Daniels Jewelers presents the home run Forecast. For your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jeweler's gift card, visit AM five seventy LA sports dot com. Use the keyword home run and to your name and you could win. Daniels Jewelers own the dream. Let's head downstairs right now to the Dodger Clubhouse to hear from that funky mon Sie.
Speaker 6: How are you feeling with your swing coming into this after the last week. Did you kind of find something tonight.
Speaker 1: Or that feels close?
Speaker 7: Obviously tonight was great results. You know, the idea of what we're trying to do is there just we have to keep tinkering every day to you know, get to take hold. You know, I really, I really like the things that I'm working on and look, like I said, just need to get to take hold in the game. And you know, once that happens, I feel like things are really going to start taken off.
Speaker 6: Conditions like all not great.
Speaker 7: I mean there's still ice on the field and it just it was only getting colder and so it's a but you know, he can't complain about it.
Speaker 6: You gotta go out there.
Speaker 7: They have to play through it also, and so you know, thankfully for us, Glass night was really good and he was found his own and he looked great tonight.
Speaker 8: Especially most conditions, especially when Glass now was not comic zone.
Speaker 7: What he did tonight, Yeah, I mean I guess there's a couple of schools of thought on it. For me, I couldn't really feel anything in my body, so it was just you're just trying to compete at that point. And you know, as I said on the field, sometimes there's a lesson to that you just let less is more when you're trying to do things and you know it's it's not easy, but like I said, both teams have to go through it.
Speaker 8: So pretty good about your swinging after the three homer game, but the results didn't come until tonight.
Speaker 4: Was it just just patience?
Speaker 7: Well, the three homere game, I did exactly what I was wanting to do with my mechanics, and then you know, the next couple of games there was some and that was causing it to be off. And that's why you know, I was saying, we're tinkering every day and the idea is there, and when I'm doing what I'm supposed to do, the results have been really good. It's just trying to get that to be consistent on a daily basis.
Speaker 2: All Right, there's Max Munsey who continues to say he's getting closer, and if he is, the bigger things are to come. After hitting three home runs on the last home standing one game and tonight his twenty first multi homer game of his career. Two home runs for Max Munsey tonight to help power the Dodgers past the Rockies seven to one. Eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number, you know, just looking at the process of how these first fifteen wins have come. The Dodgers are not chasing the Mariners all time wins record because the Mariners lost in the ALCS that year that they won one hundred and sixteen games. But what I could see realistically now is I mean, you see some of these teams like the Rockies, right and the Dodgers caught the Mets at a really good time as well. Who knows if the Mets are even going to be able to rebound. It seems like they're sinking like the Braves last year and the Braves could never recover. It kind of feels that way for the Mets right now. Who has the same records as the Rockies do These two teams, the Rockies and Mets have a seven and thirteen record, and they're running into a buzzsaw that is the Big bad Los Angeles Dodgers, who are a better team, better constructed team than they were a year ago at this time. And when you have Tyler glassnow pitching the way Tyler glassnow's pitching, all of a sudden, things are really scary for the rest of the league. If Tyler glassnow is going to have his head on straight and not overthink things and just go out there and attack like he did tonight, it's gonna be a long.
Speaker 3: Year for everybody else.
Speaker 2: My point is, in the process of the season, without the Dodgers trying to chase any win total, it is realistic for them to win at least one hundred and ten games this year after what I've seen so far, after the first twenty games, and look, the ninety eight Yankees was the first championship of a three peat for the Yankees. I could see the Dodgers winning one hundred and fourteen games. Totally can see that after what I've witnessed the first twenty. Now, it's a long season. Things can happen. But the Dodgers are doing all this without Tommy Edmund, without Keiky Hernandez right now, without Mookie Betts, without Blake Snell, without one of their key right handed relievers in Brock Stewart, and also the second half of the year, they're gonna get back. They're gonna get back Evan Phillips and oh, by the way, they're giving the rest of the league kind of a handicap every week when Roki Sasaki pitches, they're giving you an opportunity to beat them, and nobody is because the offense is it's not even hitting on all cylinders right now. It's just performing really well. And you got two kids and Kim and Freeland who got some experience last year. They know what to expect, and they're playing good defense. They're trying to keep the line moving, and you've got Andy Pa has taken it to another level. When Tommy Edmund comes back, you're gonna have Tommy Edmund hitting ninth for the Dodgers. That's how good this lineup is. And not to mention the pitching staff and Tyler Glass. Now, I predicted he'd make the All Star team, and I predicted he would eclipse his all time number of starts in a season, which was in his last All Star year his first year with the Dodgers in twenty twenty four, when he made twenty two starts. It made the All Star team. I completely see that happening again. Let's sad downstairs right now to sports and at LA A year from tonight's winning pitcher.
Speaker 8: It was good, I think, like just being able to warm up in between innings and stuff, and like constantly consistently moving each inning. I didn't feel super cold or anything like that, and I felt pretty pretty sharp today. Some innings were better than others, but I felt pretty good.
Speaker 4: Did you find that you had to make any adjustments, whether kind of mechanically or things of the sort, just to kind.
Speaker 1: Of play to understanding the altitude here and how it could you know, change kind of some of the shapes.
Speaker 3: Of your pitches.
Speaker 8: I thought before coming here, I thought maybe I would have to you. But warming up today I kind of just felt pretty similar, and I just kind of kept my repertoire the same. I threw a little bit more siders, maybe, but it was a lot of four seams, a lot of curve balls, a lot of and then like some siders to put some guys away with.
Speaker 6: Got your head when you show up in the fields under a couple of inches of snow, I.
Speaker 8: Kind of knew we were going to play. The snow was going to end at like three, so I don't know, just whatever.
Speaker 3: I guess just I.
Speaker 8: Was gonna be cold whatever, I think. Just like I said too, it's kind of an advantage of the picture. I think so, I think whenever it is a cold game, I kind of think about that, like they're gonna be a lot colder than I am.
Speaker 4: So it worked out its able as a game as you pitched in.
Speaker 8: I think so I had a game in Chicago in twenty one or nineteen maybe that was pretty cold, and then today is Yeah, I think so I would either use it. More difficult is it's sort of putting off, like feeling how cold it is in the moments.
Speaker 3: That it's not that I don't know.
Speaker 8: I think it's like I'm usually like super hot and sweaty, so it's almost nice to like I'm always my body temperature. I feel like it is so high to where I went out there, I didn't feel cold, I didn't sweat a town. It was almost kind of nice.
Speaker 6: Dave like comhard just tonight. It was kind of contrasting it to like that certain Philly last year, just the way you can kind of handled the conditions, just like another sign of growth, Like you kind of feel that at all when you look back. It's just, you know, even like in a game like this, being able to go out and go seven innings in one run.
Speaker 8: And yeah, I think I think just feeling good was helpful. Like I think I was just timed up. I think the weather doesn't really matter. I think on days you feel bad, it might affect you a little bit more. But I think just from today, I just felt good. I was on the same page with will and everything was timed up.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 2: There's Tyler Glass now after winning his second game of the year, going seven innings tonight, allowing just one earn run as the Dodgers beat the Rockies seven to one, And you know it made sense, common sense. In this cold weather, hitters are at a huge disadvantage. And then you got six to eight Glass now throwing sixty percent of his pitches as fastballs that are ranging between ninety four and ninety five. But because of his extension and how tall he is, that's similar to Kenley Jansen when he used to release his cutter, his cut fastballs.
Speaker 3: It was right on you.
Speaker 2: Ninety five from Glass now feels like one hundred, especially in this type of weather, and look, the biggest the next big test for glass Now is not going to come until the second half of the year because I firmly believe he's going to continue to roll through the first half of the year and be an All Star. But what glass Now's history tells us is in the second half of seasons he kind of fades. But last year, you know, he didn't start the year on time, he pitched really well in the postseason and out of the bullpen, So you know, that's the next big step, even at this stage of his career, is to put together two halves and a full season. And it kind of feels like he could do that, but it still remains to be seen. Really, That's that's the biggest challenge for blakes Now and Tyler glass Now. Snell's a second half pitcher and glass Now has been notoriously a first half pitcher. Let's see glass Now put this all together for a full year. And speaking of blakes Now, I still believe that when he comes back, he is going to be as dominant as ever and his two cy young seasons he's gonna be He's gonna have that feel to it. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Rockies tonight seven to one. Tomorrow, Emmitt she and another guy that throws ninety five ninety six is going to be on the mound for the Dodgers, so it doesn't get any easier for the Rockies. He's going up against Ryan Feltner and his seven point thirty era Morongo Casino. Dodgers on Deck begins at four o'clock with first pitch at five to ten from Corsefield with Rick Monday and Tim Neverett. That's gonna do it for us tonight from Denver. Thanks to calling the e back at our burd Bank Studios, Thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here at Corsefield, and thanks to you for listening. In case you missed any of the show, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app. You can follow me on Instagram at officially Vassa got some snow pictures up there and on x.
Speaker 3: At the Real Underscore DV. Once again.
Speaker 2: The final score tonight from Corsefield in Denver, the dodd defeat the Rockies seven to one.
Speaker 3: Have a great rest of your night. See you first time and you've been drinking.
Speaker 7: A four years.
Speaker 3: And the thing is still brand new and new. And when you look at you at it's true
Speaker 2: Time I'm sliding away, the time I'm sliding away.