Speaker 1: The quest for the three peat has begun.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 1: This is World Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 2: Here we go again. We're going to running back.
Speaker 1: To get him on the show called eight six six nine eighty seven two five seven, and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you catch your podcasts. Here's your host, David Vase.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Dodger Talk. David Vase with you until about eleven fifteen tonight here on AM five to seventy LA Sports. After the Dodgers play their first game in that minor league ballpark in Sacramento in front of a sellout crowd of twelve thousand plus. Quite a departure from sellout crowds in San Diego of forty one thousand plus, but those are the circumstances that Major League Baseball has allowed for the A's. They're playing in Sacramento for the second straight year, and that ball flies. That's part of the PCL. The Pacific Coast League is notorious for having stadiums in cities where the air is thin and the ball flies, and Sacramento is no different. I'm not saying it's Albuquerque or Reno or Las Vegas, but it has a reputation for flying, and fly it did tonight as the Dodgers hit three home runs on their way to a nine to four win in Sacramento in the opener of this three game series. The Dodgers now improve on baseball's best record to fifty five and thirty. They improve their lead in the NL West to eleven games. It's the largest division lead in all a Major League Baseball. The Padres, after losing the final two games to the Dodgers over the weekend, flew to Chicago and Mason Miller bleue the save at Wrigley Field. Saya Suzuki with a high fly ball off the ivy and left field walked it off against Mason Miller and the Padres. So San Diego is eleven games back of the Dodgers, and it is very sad Diego right now in America's most finest city. Hey, it's not out of the question. When the Padres get to Dodger Stadium on Thursday, they very well could be twelve or thirteen games back of the Dodgers. To start that four game series over the Fourth of July weekend. But the Dodgers are feeling good. They got Tioscar Hernandez back tonight. He had two hits. Not a coincidence, Maybe a coincidence. Andy Pa has snapped his seventeen game homerless streak with Taoscar Hernandez back in the lineup. But one thing's for certain, it's great to have Taoscar back. Great to see that signature smile. And I'm sure Piz wouldn't want anybody else throwing those sunflower seeds at him. Then his big brother, ta Oscar Hernandez eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy. If you're listening to us on the iHeartRadio app and we're lucky enough to get into the ballpark in Sacramento twelve thousand plus, I would love to hear from you. Eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy. One of my good friends, Al Camario, who moved up to Sacramento from the San Fernando Valley a couple of years ago, lives in Sacramento but had to leave and go out of town. But he did report this how much the cheapest seats were to see the game tonight. To get into the building tonight at Sutter Health Park in Sacramento, the cheapest seat, according to Pullman to the Stars Al Camario, two hundred and fifty dollars to get in to see the Dodgers in AA tonight. That was the cheapest ticket. He told me that when the A's played the Marlins, the cheapest seat was thirty dollars. So that was the secondary market there for the Dodgers and A's tonight. At least I believe that's the secondary market. You would hope that wasn't face value. Dave Roberts, by the way, one win away from a thousand in his managerial career. Everybody is on it now. I'm not sure many were aware before we talked about it on Dodger Talk, but it went from three wins in San Diego to now one went away from managing one thousand wins in his eleven year managerial career. Let's head back to Sacramento to hear from the Dodger skipper.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I thought, you know, early he got behind a lot. They did a good job of just putting the battle the ball, you know, finding some outfield grass, you know, I'm really happy that he kind of found his way right of the ship and then you know, got through sixth inning for us.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I mean I thought tonight it was a great environment.
Speaker 3: We certainly as a Dodge were pretty well represented and it was good to see the offense come to life. I thought, Max, you know, big Homer show hate big Homer, Andy with the big Homer, and then we just took good at bats all night long. Kyle had some good at bats. So yeah, solid game you've.
Speaker 4: Been within there.
Speaker 3: I mean, you talk about the offense, but how good is it when you have someone like Taoska Hernandez comes back in the lineups and able to is able to produce things early.
Speaker 2: It was good.
Speaker 3: You know, he was anxious to get back and got a left tennis starter, took some really good at bats and it was good to get him back in the mix. And he's certainly a presence.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of contact and Eric Lawer stat line at the end of the day, it's still another quality start.
Speaker 5: When the front office signed him, it was essentially to shore up these innings in the back end of the rotation.
Speaker 1: How critical has it been that he's been able to do.
Speaker 3: So it's been critical certainly. You know, every time he takes the ball, it seems like he's going six innings and he's given us some length. We're in the middle of thirteen in a row, and so you know, coming out of San DIEGOZ. He's got those guys again for four so for him to kind of be a little bit shaky early, not getting the strikeouts, but still, you know, takedown eighteen outs was big, and you know that's what he signed up for and he's been nothing but impressive for us.
Speaker 2: All Right, there's manager Dave Roberts on sports Net LA talking about Eric Lower, who went another six strong innings tonight with the Dodgers. Lower is three and zero with an elray of two eighty eight. Tonight's game brought to you by Modello Modello the mark of a fighter. All Right, we have two guys that were at the game tonight in Sacramento. One of them is a loyal Dodger talk listener and caller. That's Frank in Sacramento. And Frank, you finally got the Dodgers in Sacramento in a minor league ballpark.
Speaker 6: Congratulations, Thank you gave in LA's favorite ten I just wish you were up here to see it also, But hey, how about show Bay's home run to night. I've got to see it one hundred and twelve of ex velocity.
Speaker 2: Where were you city tonight, Frank?
Speaker 7: Exactly? I was sitting up in the well. I had nosebleed section.
Speaker 2: So is are they really no minor league stadium? So nosebleeds there would probably be the load section at Dodgers Stadium.
Speaker 7: Yes, And what I wanted to talk about tonight is is there any word on when mister kee CA's got to be back joining the team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Frank, I want to I want to know where that stands as well. We've always heard that it's going to be the second half of the season. I'm not sure if that means end of July beginning of August, but I have to go back and look when he's eligible to be activated. But it's gonna be well after the All Star break, that's for sure. Thanks for the phone call, Frank. Let's go out to Adon Adon, who was at the game tonight as well. Did I get your name right?
Speaker 8: Almost their day?
Speaker 2: Adon Adon? Where were you sitting? I mean, Frank said, those bleeds there's no such thing as those bleeds there.
Speaker 8: Hey, we're about twenty minutes south of Sacramento, small town of golf, so we were a third baseline about seven rows up, perfect seeds.
Speaker 2: How much might I pay to get those seats? How much did you pay?
Speaker 8: It was if I cut it short, don't don't, don't. Don't get me for that. But it's two hundred and fifty bucks a ticket, So.
Speaker 2: I was right. He pool man versus al Camillo was accurate with his information that the cheapest ticket was two hundred and fifty dollars tonight to get in.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and this is a Father's Day gift that that I'll remember forever. We had family and friends around, But the best part of mye was on our way back to our our parking garage. I ran into Krchito Cruise at the stoplight, and I said, Qchito, let me get a picture. He was, of course. I spoke to him in Spanish, Viva Meico. He took a quick picture of me and a cousin of mine, female cousin Susie. Shout out to Susie, that got us the tickets, that got everyone together, and then I looked to my right and Rick Monday's right next to him. I said, I got to get a picture for Rick Monday. But by the time the crosswalk started going, we couldn't catch up to Rick Monday. So we finally caught him at the Sacramento I don't know if you've seen that bridge over the river. We caught him right in the middle of the bridge and finally took a picure. It was great, it's either Joe, but we'll take a picture with you exactly. And we ran like we were spinning to catch up to him, and he was the nicest person.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 8: That topped it all. It was a perfect night.
Speaker 2: Hey, that's great. I got one more question for you. So you were on the third base side. You're behind the Dodger Doug Out.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: Did you have a clear view of where that Otani home run landed?
Speaker 8: Dave, You're not gonna believe me, but I had a cousin to my right. I said, hey, we can watch replays, you know wherever we can, right, but I says, I want to give everybody else a fan experience. I recorded that that Holman shot all the way from the pitch to the hit and around the bases. I love my phone, and it's posted on social media and Dave. But another thing to top up my night is I'm talking to you. I listened to Daily When when You're on And the first thing I asked Gorchito was where's David Vase? Is he gonna walk through here? Am I gonna see him here? He's like, he didn't make the trip.
Speaker 2: I didn't make the trip because the press box, the broadcast booth only has room for Rick and Tim Neverett. There's hardly any room so and the press box is really small. So I said, why even put myself through the at just come back to the Burbank studios. Do the show be able to be in a comfortable setting? So, yeah, I'm sorry I missed you this time. But it sounds like this is the most excitement Sacramento has had since the Lakers used to whoop the King's butt back in two thousand and one, two thousand and two.
Speaker 8: Beck, Yeah, back in the heydays at three p Lakers were big Laker fans as well. Me and my family shout out to the Mendez family. We're a big, huge family. We're all Dodger Laker fans, and when it gets to the football, we kind of split up. But other than that, Okay, don Don, this.
Speaker 2: Was the highlight of the show. You did a great job calling in tonight and I'm happy. Coachito Cruz and Rick Monday. We're first class to you. I would expect nothing else. And uh, hopefully we'll see you at Dodger Stadium soon.
Speaker 8: Dave, I have one favor to ask you. Please send a shout out to the men, the Mendes family, one of the biggest Dodger family in the Central Valley. You just did family bas Viva, Viva.
Speaker 2: Mendez Familia, Viva the Familia the Mendez How there you go? How about that?
Speaker 8: A Don, I love it. Hey, we'll be back Wednesday. Wednesday will be a guys trip. I'm gonna take my oldest boy and uh about fifteen of us guys and cousins that we'll be back Wednesday to Charon Otani.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Tawi day on Wednesday. Thanks a lot, a Don, I appreciate you calling in, and yes, it sounds like a very passionate Mendez family there. So thank you for listening and being loyal Dodger fans. I'm I'm happy that the Dodgers are able to be up there. In Sacramento, and man, you know, it's incredible you have a ticket to go to one of these three games in Sacramento. Like I said, it's a spring training, minor league stadium. You're never gonna get this close to Otani Freddie Freeman playing baseball outside of when you go to a spring training game. But these games count, and the closest thing to regular season games being this close to them was when the Dodgers were in Tampa last year. Because of Tropicana Field being damaged from the hurricane. The Rays were playing their games last year at Steinbrenner Field, the Yankees spring training stadium. So you know, obviously a complete different set of circumstances. That was a natural disaster that forced the Rays to go to Tampa, Florida. But certainly it's as close as you can get to the Dodgers the last two years if you're at a game against the Rays, and obviously Tonight's game in Sacramento and man Otani Knight in Sacramento, that should be electric on Wednesday night, eight six six, seven, two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the A's tonight nine to four. When we continue, we'll hear from Eric Lauer, who won his third game as a Dodger. He's three to zero with an ERA of two to eighty eight. Also, we'll share our conversation with the Lake great Fernando Valenzuela on this date. Back in nineteen ninety, there were two no hitters thrown in Major League Baseball Dave Stewart of the A's in Toronto and our very own El Toro, Fernando Valenzuela at Dodger Stadium against the Cardinals. I had a chance to talk to Fernando about that back in twenty eighteen, on June twenty ninth, twenty eighteen, and man, listening back to that to get it ready for the show was more emotional than I expected. Fernando was. We had a great working relationship, spent a lot of time together in the press box, and can't wait to have you hear what Fernando had to say about that fateful night nineteen ninety June twenty ninth at Dodgers Stadium. More Dodger talk around the corner after the Dodgers beat the A's nine to four on a five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 1: Seventy Dodger talk is available on a five seventy LA sports dot Com hand on the iHeartRadio app. Back to more Dodger Talk with Dodger insider David Basset, hitch from.
Speaker 2: Krunk and Otani belts at high and deep to right, forget it, Oh, that's Paul's way.
Speaker 4: Onta here over to the top of home run Hill between the trees.
Speaker 2: A three run home run for show Hey O'tani, his eighteenth of the season and his two hundred and ninety eighth career home run. A four hundred and thirty two foot blast. Show Hey Otani always put it on a show, and tonight was no different in front of twelve thousand plus at Sutter Health Park in Sacramento. A monstrous home run in the sixth inning of three run shot with two strikes off a left handed reliever Matt Crook, who threw him another sweeper one too many that Otani hid four hundred and thirty two feet, felt like it went to the moon, felt like it was a five hundred footer, But that's what they're saying. An estimated four hundred and thirty two feet off the bat at one hundred and twelve miles an hour, and again you go back and look at the highlight or the photo. As Otani is standing admiring that home run. So is home played umpire Manny Gonzalez, who took his mask off to see how far, how majestic that ball was hit, and certainly Otani captures the imagination of fans, players on both sides and now umpires. Daniels Jewelers presents the home run forecast for your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jewelers gift card, visit a five seventy lasports dot Com used the keyword home run, enter your name, you could win Daniel's Jewelers Own the Dream. Eight six, six, nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number before we get to my conversation that we had with Fernando Velenzuela back in twenty eighteen. I want to go back to Sacramento to hear from another left hander, Eric Lower, who obviously is not as decorated in his Dodger career as Fernando, but certainly pitch well. Tonight, six innings allowed just three earned runs. His record now with the Dodgers since being acquired from the Blue Jays three to zero with an era of two eighty eight, and on this road trip, the Dodgers used an opener in Minnesota and then Lower pitched the middle innings of that game. It was six shutout innings tonight, six innings he allowed just three earned runs. Let's hear from Lower on sportsnet LA. Uh.
Speaker 9: Yeah, that's actually a pretty good way of putting it. I felt like it was, you know, just getting single to death, which I mean, it'll happen, but you just try to make pitches and make sure that you're, you know, executing good pitches. You know, sometimes that kind of stuff happens, but as long as they're not, you know, as long as you're keeping soft contact and play, I think it's you know, eventually it'll work out in our favor, and I think it did overall.
Speaker 1: Is that an adjustment that you made or did you kind of just stick to your approach and look for just a different contact.
Speaker 9: No, I think it was I just stuck to my approach and made sure that I was, you know, focusing on executing pitches and let my defense work behind me. And I knew eventually they would start going at people instead of you know, right in the right spots for them.
Speaker 8: Cot just treated for you.
Speaker 2: They're pretty clear about the hole they need you to fail.
Speaker 5: Since then, you've been able to do so thanks to a couple.
Speaker 6: Of adjustments and well execution.
Speaker 5: How much pride do you take in and knowing that you've been able to give them exactly what they needed.
Speaker 9: I think that's it's a big It's a big point for me to make sure that I'm going out there and doing my job every day. That's what I try to do every time, and you know, just making sure I'm putting the team in a position to win the game is you know, pretty much my job. And I think so far I've done a good job of that. And you know, making sure that I'm able to stay in the game long enough to you know, save the bullpen a couple of innings as always a positive. And I've been really happy with the way, you know, I've been executing pitches, especially with the adjustments that I've made after coming here. So overall, I feel like I'm in a really good spot and I you know, I think I'm doing my job well.
Speaker 2: All right. There's Eric Lauer on sports at LA tonight. Lower Through ninety five pitches, sixty six of them were strikes. The majority were fastballs and cutters cut fastballs, and then he worked in his change up seventeen times tonight. So really, when I talked to Mark Pryor when the Dodgers acquired Lower, he said there wasn't major mechanical adjustments to get Lower back on track. What he wanted to do was find the right secondary pitches to be able to work off Lower's fastball. And Dave Roberts said before today's game he would like to see Lower not really work his fastball too much on the edges. He wanted to see him go back to attacking hitters, and that's what he did tonight. And the runs that he gave up outside of one home run, I mean, they were basically bleeders finding grass out there in Sacramento. So not too many hard hit balls off of Eric Lower. Also, I mentioned Taoscar Hernandez was activated before tonight's game. Ryan Ward was optioned back to Oklahoma City. Taoscar Hernandez was two for five tonight with the run scored. And you know, we talk about this a lot, how the game always finds you. Whether you're struggling defensively, the ball will be hit to you. Whether you're struggling offensively, it feels like you're spot in the lineup always seems to come up with runners on base and runners in scoring position. In the second inning tonight, the game found Taoscar Hernandez is hamstring. Taoscar Hernandez missed a month because of a left hamstring strain when he was trying to beat out field single at Dodgers Didium at the beginning of this month. Well, in the second inning, he hit a comebacker off of the starting pitcher gauge jump at ricochet to the shortstop who made a great play to make it close. So already the first game back, ti Oscar Hernandez has to put the hamstring in the legs in overdrive because the ball ricocheted perfectly to the a shortstop Williams, who made a nice play made a nice play a few times tonight. And then Kyle Tucker, the next batter, hits a fly ball that you think is going to be caught, but it was a sun double. So Taascar Hernandez had to go from zero to one hundred when the ball dropped in the outfield. So I mean go figure right. His first game back, in that second inning, he was doing a lot of running, but luckily it looked like he came out of it. Okay, eight six six seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the A's tonight in Sacramento nine to four. Let's go out to Ontario. Robert, you're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi.
Speaker 4: Robert, Damn, what's going on? Man?
Speaker 2: Everything's beautiful when you're the when you're hosting Dodger Talk the last ten years, things are pretty good, Roberts.
Speaker 4: That's awesome, man. It's it's this team. I mean, guys aren't even back yet and they're slowly starting to run away with it. I mean, it's still got a second half, still.
Speaker 2: Got a second half. And you don't want these guys to exhale in September because if they keep going the way they're going, they're gonna get that first round by again, which is good. You don't want to be ambushed by some of these better teams in a short three game series, but you don't want them to lose their edge going down the stretch.
Speaker 4: No, And uh, you know, today's my birthday and today's the day of Dave Stewart. Afernando ven Azuela as no hitter and it's something to you know. I was a part of it.
Speaker 2: You know. Well, how old were you in nineteen dy, Robert, if you don't mind me asking, five years old? So you don't remember the no hitter, but you've heard about it maybe when you were ten. Your dad told you, Hey, this happened back in nineteen ninety when you were five.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, you sure did, you sure did well.
Speaker 2: Happy birthday, Robert. I'm not going to do the math on how old you are now, we'll just leave it there. I'm twenty one, all right, Robert, thanks a lot for the phone call. Don't go anywhere. You're just gonna hear Fernando's voice right now talking about that no hitter that day and how it all went down. Okay, so don't go anywhere for sure, of course. All right, Robert, thank you for the phone call. And yeah that brings us to you know, for me, the passing of Fernando hit home really hard. I'm not Don Mattingly always used to say when some but he dies, I would always be smiling and laughing, and I guess that's just my defense mechanism. But back back when I'd spent a lot of time with Fernando in the press box. You know, I'd be eating dinner while he'd be watching his Mexican Baseball league, and we'd spend a lot of time together before first pitch, and a lot of times when I would ask Fernando too many questions about his career, he would joke and say, hey, hey, stop asking so many questions. It's in my book. And I would say, what book. There is no book. He's oh, it's coming out. There was never any book, and there was no book ever coming out. He just didn't want to talk about himself and his career. You would have to allow those things to happen naturally. So back on June twenty ninth, twenty eighteen, I asked Fernando if we could talk about his no hitter that he threw the only no hitter he ever threw in his career back in nineteen ninety. And here was the conversation from June twenty ninth, twenty eighteen, on the anniversary of his no hitter. On June twenty ninth, nineteen ninety.
Speaker 5: How you doing, David. Thanks for this chance opportunities to say hi to oh you listens. Yeah, So that's that's great. You know twenty eight years ago. Well, that's the great moment for me in my career. So that's that's good. Great, that's good.
Speaker 2: Is it true before the game that you told your teammates you saw one no hitter with Dave Stewart, you're about to see another one? Or is that legend? Nah?
Speaker 5: Nah, that little comment by that one. But it happens, Yeah, it happens. But yeah, I remember we were watching the day Sars game and I say something like that, you know, I say, well, you guys watching one on TV. Now it's gonna be one alive. So that's that's happened.
Speaker 2: But you know that's.
Speaker 5: Like I say, it's it's you know, for the pitchers, I think it's another another Uh.
Speaker 2: I don't know, uh, like.
Speaker 5: Maybe one shut up now for me and trove no hitter? That was that was one of the best moment and and that's happened. But I think for to have no hitter, I think you need a good, good defense offense. And I think the team they did it. They put so good good defense and and let's got run. So that's that's make the pictures strong the more comfortable.
Speaker 2: Could you feel in the bullpen, your screwball was better than normal?
Speaker 5: Or what what was so special day years ago?
Speaker 10: I don't know, you don't remember that I remember, But you know, in my case, when I don't have a good control, I think it's going to have a trouble.
Speaker 5: And for me, that's that's that's when when I have a good control, and I think that's when I'm going to have good games. You know, But that's not my my my best, you know, So I had to mix it up in the corners and and uh tried to cook my arm on top for the school ball. But if I have a good control, I'm guarantee you I going to have a good game. And uh, and that's happened that.
Speaker 2: That not your last batter that you face was your old teammate Pedro Guerrero. And when you're facing him with one out in the ninth inning, you don't seem like a guy that would get nervous. So do you remember what you may have been feeling at that moment?
Speaker 5: You know, Just like everybody, I go and try to do my best. And when when when that's happened? When I think it was was one out men the first when Pedro coming up and uh, I know he liked to pull everything, and uh, but in that situation, I can see it when he tried to get it hit.
Speaker 2: He tried to get a hit.
Speaker 5: He done tried to hit a homer. He tried to hit a hit. And I say, that's when when I tried to keep the ball in the hands, out with my cutter and keeping and Ryan in the hands. And then that's when he had that ground ball back to the middle and once some other was Ryan the back and turned for double play.
Speaker 2: That was the great Fernando Vealezuela, and I miss him terribly. We had so many great times together up in the press box and certainly one of a kind. And I know how much he means to so many of you and to this city, and he represents a lot to a lot of people. And that was our part of the conversation we had for a pregame interview on June twenty ninth, twenty eighteen, remembering his no hitter, his one and only career no hitter in nineteen ninety against the Saint Louis Cardinals, and a couple of things about that game that I remember the most. He mentioned it Pedro Guerrero was the last hit of that no hitter, who grounded into a double play. They had been teammates for a long time, going back to when they were both first called up. Another thing I remember, and I think Fernando is grateful for, And it's not a coincidence that Mike's Soshia was his catcher that night for his no hitter. Mike Sosha caught more Fernando Vealezuela games than any other catcher in Fernando's career, and they had a great brotherhood that lasted until Fernando passed away. And he mentioned another random Dodger, Juan Samuell, who was playing second base that night behind Fernando. The ball was hit right to him. He kicked the second base bag, never had a jump, never had to do anything, just straddle the second base bag and threw to Eddie Murray, who was playing first base that night his second year with the Dodgers. So I hope you enjoyed hearing Fernando's voice. That was that was really special? All right? Tomorrow the Dodgers Game two of this three game series against the A's and Sacramento. Justin Robleski, another lefty, will be on the mound. He's looking for his tenth win of the year, and I know Fernando would appreciate the style of pitching that Robleski has. Keeps it moving, isn't afraid to throw strikes, isn't afraid to induce contact, goes deep into games, and dictates the winner losses himself. Robleski this year is nine to two with an ERA of two seventy one, going up against Jeff Springs, who is three and seven with an ERA of five point fifty two. Our coverage begins at five point thirty tomorrow with first pitch at six point forty, with Rick Munday and Tim Nevert on the call from Sacramento. That'll do it for us tonight, thanks to Dwayne McDonald in Sacramento, Thanks to Colin Ye at our Burbank Studios, and thanks to you for listening. In case you missed any of the show, you know where to find it. The iHeartRadio app Our pregame ues today was Alex Freeland, whose playing time is gonna go down. Rojas was starting tonight at second base. Tom Y Edmond's gonna play second base, but Freeland certainly is getting the experience and contributing whenever called upon. So Alex was our pregame guest. Tomorrow Eric Harris will join us on the pregame show as well. All Right, once again. The final score tonight the Dodgers defeat the A's nine to four. Have a great rest of your night. Ben Maller on Fox Sports Radio is next. See ya.