Speaker 1: And now an exclusive interview with David Bassey for Dodger Talker. How about those color receipts. Maybe we should play some of those back tomorrow night as well. I mean, you could go back and listen to that on the iHeartRadio app as many times as you want. And thank you to our guy, our screener and producer calling ye for pulling those receipts again, that was phenomenal. You're lucky I didn't share those receipts with Clayton Kershaw. Instead, we reflected on his final opportunity to win a World Series championship, and we had a chance to catch up with the Greg Kershaw at media day earlier this afternoon. All right, Clayton, your final World Series Media Day. I know this is what you really lived for, coming back for one final year.
Speaker 2: This is it. This is why I'm here. Good to talk to everybody here. This is it.
Speaker 1: Have you been able to enjoy the moment of this and the last couple of months of the season more than you've allowed yourself to enjoy other moments of your career?
Speaker 2: I think so. I think so.
Speaker 3: I yeah, I usually try not to get too wrapped up and everything, but yeah, once I kind of came out and said that I was finished. It's hard not to, you know, it's hard not to be a little bit reflective. And you know, the few moments I had, you know, the last home game at Dodger Stadium, the last game in Seattle is just it is really special and getting to celebrate you know, the victories in the postseason all that, like, I know, I maybe have one more time to.
Speaker 2: Get to do that.
Speaker 3: So it's yeah, all that stuff you can't help but kind of look back and just be grateful.
Speaker 2: For it all.
Speaker 1: During this journey of the postseason, I've seen players from other teams, you know, workouts or before the games go out of their way to kind of just salute you.
Speaker 2: Have you noticed that, how.
Speaker 1: Guys that you may not have expected come up to you and just you know, say congratulations.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I think everybody it is. It's I'm super honored by that.
Speaker 1: You know, not.
Speaker 3: Do you never expect anybody to say, you know, nice things, especially when you're playing against you. But to have guys say, you know, a great career, you know, enjoyed playing against you or competing all that stuff is uh is very is awesome, you know, it really is because the peers. You know, your peers are kind of that's who the opinions matter. You know, there's a lot of people outside this game that will say things that don't understand.
Speaker 2: So to have have your peers respect is uh.
Speaker 3: I've always said that guys inside your clubhouse and guys around the game, that's the that's the most important thing as far as your reputation.
Speaker 1: Has the some of the more uncomfortable things is for you to hear that and hear people celebrate you, and even guys in your own clubhouse have that type of respect and vocalize it, even maybe making goat sounds at times.
Speaker 2: I just tell them not to make it weird, Dave, I just tell them, don't make it weird.
Speaker 3: And so we you know. But yeah, we've got We've got a lot of awesome guys. I think everybody it's just a I think it's a mutual thing. I'm so grateful for all these guys and it's just pretty cool.
Speaker 1: Is there something to be said about everything you've accomplished certain players on this team have accomplished individually and as a group, that you guys are still hungry for more? Are there guys? Playing with a chip on their shoulder to prove something for themselves and for the group.
Speaker 2: Is that part of this.
Speaker 3: No, I just think we're a great team and this is what we're supposed to do. I mean, I think it's as simple as that, Like we don't have We've got one goal at the beginning of every season, and it takes the right type of superstars. You know, and Andrew does a great job. You know when you look at show, Hey, Mookie, Freddie, the top three guys on down, they're superstar players, but their mindset is just to win the World Series, and so they do everything that they possibly can.
Speaker 2: To help us win the World Series.
Speaker 3: So I've been around guys where they've been great players that might that might not necessarily be the case at times, and so to have that is just like that that trickle down effect makes everybody realize that that's that's why we're here, and that's why we are a Dodger. That's what we signed up to do, and we're going to try to do that over the course of the next ten days.
Speaker 1: Doesn't that make this team unique? Because you have been teammates with guys that had a lot of talent, but didn't have the work ethic to be able to fulfill it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I don't know if it's work ethic. I don't know what it is.
Speaker 3: I just know that there's kind of like a a factor of wanting to win and what that looks like. And you saw it last year with Freddy's ankle. You see it this year with Mookie becoming a.
Speaker 2: Goal globe shortstop. You see it with Shohy.
Speaker 3: Doing everything he can to be the best hitter and the best pitcher. And that trickles all the way down, like Will Smith trying to play through a broken hand, or you know, like just just everybody pitcher's stepping up, you know, pitching all the time, all bullpen guys throwing instantly.
Speaker 2: You know, just different.
Speaker 3: Stuff like they see these guys do it, so that means that they they're going to fall in line too, And that's that's just pretty cool.
Speaker 1: Before I'll let you go, you've been a game one starter many times in your career. Blake is kind of setting the tone every series. What have you seen as far as the growth from when he first started pitching to where he's at right now with you guys.
Speaker 3: I've always said that Blake when he's right, is top top two to three pitchers in the game. I've said that when he was in Tampa, I said that when he was in San Diego, San Francisco. He's he's special, he really is, and you're seeing that now. He's got four pitches that are elite and he uh, he loves to compete, he really does.
Speaker 2: So it's uh, I'm excited to watch tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Have you seen Donnie yet.
Speaker 3: Haven't seen Donnay yet. Haven't seen don yet. I'll get him hug and tell him I'm happier here. But this is as far as it goes. Thank you, Clayton, all right, Thanks.
Speaker 1: Last dance for Clayton Kershaw. Not too many players get to go out as a champion, let alone a back to back World Series champion, and that's the opportunity that Kershaw and the Dodgers have in front of them as it all gets started tomorrow night, Game one here in Toronto.