Speaker 1: Six seven hundred, Put you out w Can Cincinnati, Texa as Illusion, Paramkee Tope Shelted Round Table show. We're hanging at it long Next he a Wilder, Lance McAlister Rocky Boyman. It's all brought to you in part by Hawksworth Blood Centers, Hawksworth Donors Save Lives Close to Home. Who will you say? Let's turn to our feature guest every week at this time, he's all over the Bengals for cl nscinceiwithy dot Com, host of the wildly popular Jungle Roar podcast on YouTube. That would be Mike Petralia. How are you.
Speaker 2: I'm doing well, Lanced Rocky. Been kind of an eventful week at pay for Stadium with regard to a certain quarterback matas speculation out there about what was said, what he meant to say, and I'm sure we're going to get into that, but it's it's never a dull moment when you're on the Bengals feet, that is for sure.
Speaker 1: No doubt. A perfect segue to the obvious first question. You were in the room yesterday in the moment you ask a great follow up question to Joe and just kind of as you've had time to process and think about it over the last twenty four hours. What did you make of Joe Burrow's reflections on life and career yesterday.
Speaker 2: Well, it's always dangerous business in our industry lands to read body language and then draw a conclusion based on that body language. But certainly there was something on Joe's mind. And my question was right to the point, was it football related? Was it personal? And he said all of the above. Well to me, if it was just purely personal, I think he would have led on to that. I don't think he was playing forty chess in terms of trying to disguise something in his personal life by saying it was both football and personal. I think he was legitimately he had something on his mind that were troubling. I think is a fair word. He was very much not himself. He was very distracted when he entered that room yesterday, and it became apparent, you know, he kind of gaged short, very truncated answers to the questions that were being asked, and then eventually I just got to the point where I was wondering, Okay, is this football related? Is it personal? And when he said that, I think there was a point a madness, a method to his madness, I should say. And I don't think Joe ever answers anything by accident. I always think there's a purpose to his answers. And I think he's been very bothered by this season from a professional level, certainly with the team being four and nine, him doing everything in his power to get back and play, and you know, they win their first game back with him at the Helm. Maybe he should have played against the Patriot, It's maybe not. And then they blow the game last week against Buffalo, and you know, barring a miracle, Burrow is going to miss the playoffs for a third straight year. But he also brought up the fact that he's been through so much, more so than other quarterbacks in the NFL, and he's been through so much and he still wants to play. And that's something that Jamar Chase pointed out today in his gathering with the media, And you know, Jamarrow was giving it to us saying, you guys are always trying to create some type of narrative, always trying to stir the pot, and we came back at Jamar saying, no, we just want to know if you have any perspective that could clarify the matter, and he told us today. All I can tell you is Joe Burrows still loves football. He still loves preparing. He loves the whole act of coming in to the building and getting ready to play the game this coming Sunday. So that was the perspective from Jamar Chase today, and I think it was good perspective.
Speaker 3: In the end.
Speaker 2: I don't think Joe Burrow is trying to shoot himself out of town. I would never go that far. I think he was just having a rough day and there was a lot on his mind.
Speaker 3: So let's dive into that further. You know, Joe is I think, very good with his power of persuasion, right when he uses the microphone to kind of get things that he wants. So did you see it more as hey, this is a guy that's really kind of down on his luck and and everything. Or was he using this, as you know, kind of as a message to the front office like, hey, man, like you we got to do something to build this franchise back here or else kind of deal?
Speaker 2: I would say the latter. Rocky, He certainly did it last year with Tea and Jamar more so with t because I think the Jamar stuff was the FATA complay that had to be done. But I think when he brought Tea into the mix and said, we really need both of these guys back at the offic is going to be or what I think it can be and what I think we all know it can be, so he's done it before. I do think there's some credibility to what you're suggesting, Rocky, that he may have been laying a very subtle message, a very subtle groundwork in terms of I'm not happy. I think you can read it in my body language. We have got to get our act together, cleaning it up a little bit there. Got to get our act together and make sure that this doesn't happen next year. I would love to ask, and he's never going He's going to say. If I asked the question, what kind of changes do you want to see happen, He's going to say, my job is to play football. I lead the football decisions to the football people. That's what he said last year, and I don't think there's any reason he would change that messaging publicly, but behind closed doors, I'm sure he is. You know, either it has or will let Katie Troy Mike and certainly Duke all know where what he feels about the current situation.
Speaker 1: Treig's also believe it was you that asked him about keeping his finger on the pulse of the energy in the locker room now at four and nine, do you sense any wavering this week now at four and nine, with the decks so stacked against this team.
Speaker 2: I don't, And that's a great question.
Speaker 3: Lance.
Speaker 2: You know, sometimes again with the body language and the atmosphere when you read it in the locker room and the players are listening to music and relaxing, and you know, people aren't really quiet and somber. You could take that. If you're from the outside, you could take that as well. These guys don't take their job seriously. They're not upset like the fans are upset. But then you take a step back and you realize, and Rocky, I'm sure you can speak to this. It's their job, and you can't be serious twenty four hours a day. You can't be upset twenty four hours a day. You waste too much and you expend too much energy being upset. So you do your job to the best of your ability. In the morning, you go out, you have a good practice, good walk through, whatever, and then you come back in the locker room and unwind for half an hour. There's nothing wrong with that. But what Joe Burrow told me yesterday was the fact that he likes the energy. He likes the way everybody is working hard to get better, and I think that's significant. I think the fact that Joe Burrow made a point of saying that the energy in the locker room is in a good place is indicative of what he feels about, at least the mental approach to the players there at the talent level, and perhaps the positions they are being put in during a game. Maybe that's a different matter and subject altogether.
Speaker 3: Try I'm not sure if t has been officially ruled out or not, but he's been in a concussion protocol. What's and now you know, no Jermaine Burton. Not that that's a big deal when it comes to that, but any word on how his role is going to be filled, what other players may be more in the mix this week.
Speaker 2: So he was again limited today, Rocky, and that means he's pretty much in the same spot he was last week. If he can get if he can clear protocol by the time you know, Tomorrow ends, and he goes through the Friday practice at full participation, he could be cleared in theory to go on Sunday. And I think there's a misperception that the team has a lot to do with this. I don't think they do. It's more a medical decision. And if the player feels ready to go and and he has been cleared medically to go, meaning he is non symptomatic, then it's up to the player to play, and if he wants to play, he'll play. And you know, some people may think that's reckless for the team to let him go out and play, but again, if the player feels like he is asymptomatic and feels fine to play, then he's going to play.
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 2: I am sympathetic to those who believe that this guy's come off one concussion and symptoms of a second, and there is a fine life. There is some you know, medical innuendo there in discernment to be taken into consideration the difference between the two. But he had one concussion and he had symptoms of a second, and if you know, the team is cautious, maybe they hold him out. But again, I think the final decision is up to t Higgins.
Speaker 1: Trags, you were all over all of this for more tell listeners how they could read, watch and follow.
Speaker 2: All right, telling us symphony with a Y dot com. I'm going to have a column up for tonight's flash tomorrow morning regarding what Jamar Chase said today and taking twenty four hours to kind of digest, like we said at the top of the conversation about what Joe Burrow said on Wednesday. Dot column will be up on Stealing us since with a Y dot com. We'll also have a preview up for this weekend's Ravens Bengals game. You can follow all of my content on the act, including locker room interviews at trags t rgs and of course the Jungle War Bengals podcast page that is at YouTube dot com slash Jungle War Pod.
Speaker 1: Love it, Thank you, Trags. We'll talk next week
Speaker 2: All right, gentlemen, take care you Trags all over it on the Bengals Beat.