Speaker 1: Don't want to be an American.
Speaker 2: Scott's Flowing Show.
Speaker 3: This is seven hundred WLW on this election day where we find out the future makeup the future of the city of Cincinnati. It's a big one here with the mayoral race being decided between Aftab Pureval and Corey Bowman, and of course city council the twenty six people are running. Later on the show, Mike Wiener, I was sorry, Mark Weiner, let me try that again. Aaron Weiner, my name's messed up this morning. It's the time change and the lack of caffeine. I'm gonna go with that. Aaron Weiner's on his consul candidate. We'll talk to him in the ten o'clock our a ten o six this morning. I mean again, just one of the many people who are vying for nine seats to change the makeup. I you know, projecting here. I think Aftab wins. Well, interesting to see how much Corey Bowman does and bites into that lead. And I think Aftab's feeling it for sure from a really really good fight, a Velian fight, Corey Bowman. But you know, pushing that boulder up the hill in deep blue Cincinnati, that's a tough one. I think that I could be wrong, but it feels to me like counsel of the one. They're the ones in jeopardy at this point too, because people are feeling the pain and the crime and generally make people held accountable, if not the mayor, certainly counsel. And it fits in too because this is kind of like the October surprise, if you will, actually the November surprise, and that is the shooting on Saturday, four people shot outside Privy Nightclub and OTR are at one o'clock in the morning, and of course you know the one in Carthage as well, and you know seven people are shot in one dead. That generally gets people's attention and it's just a steady but drumbeat of violence. I shared on my social feed Facebook and at ex at Scott Sloane video of a man who found a gun outside Privy Nightclub literally hours after the crime scene tape was cleared, and it's so, I guess, indicative of what the situation is right now and how dire it is in Cincinnati, you know, handguns, maybe even using the crime or laying literally steps away from where the investigation was and joining the show this morning is a man who founded the gun and we're going to not use his name by request because of well the people involved here makes I would do the same thing. Welcome to the show. How are you good?
Speaker 4: How you doing?
Speaker 3: I'm doing fine. Appreciate the time you finally what time? I mean, you live right around there. Let's set that up to you. It's not like you know, you're outside the city and just happened to be walking down the street.
Speaker 2: You live like near there, right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I live at block away, I mean to established kind of you know who I am, and I've lived literally a block.
Speaker 1: Away for fifteen years.
Speaker 5: So I moved down over the Ryne fifteen years ago, and you know, I kind of had this this business idea that I was going to start buying abandon property and fixing them up and rent them as apartments and you know, kind of contributing to the you know, the presidence that you know a lot of people have seen the neighborhood undergoing, and that's exactly what I did.
Speaker 1: So I've seen I've seen it all, you know, I've you moved.
Speaker 3: There for opportunities, like hey, you know there's money to made. Fifteen years ago, this great renaissance which we need to long overdue. I've lived here for over twenty years, and in downtown was nothing for many years, and all of a sudden, we have this renaissance downtown you want to be part of that makes some money investing in the neighborhoods.
Speaker 2: Everybody wins.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was it was cool living. You know, it still is cool sometimes living over there one. I mean, I live, you know, literally right next to I was there before rhine Geist, which is kind of crazy to think about. It was just an abandoned warehouse when I moved in, and uh, you know, a block from Family Market, and you know, really what's happened is so when I you know, when when a block is kind of undergoing a resurgence or a renovation, a lot of times what happens is there's abandoned properties. And then what is critical is what what becomes of those abandoned properties? Right what goes into that storefront or into that property. And you know, in my situation, like ryan Geist, going in across the street was critical to like making my investment or my living experience a good one.
Speaker 3: And now now that feels like it's in jeopard Does you feel like it's going the other way, we're reverting back to when you first moved in. It looks like we're taking steps backward relative to what's happening, literally steps away from where you live.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so let me paint a picture. So north of Liberty Elm Street, which is where I live, let me kind of paint a picture of like some of the most recent developments. So we've got the thing that Privy was a club before. So when I first moved there was a school, and after the school it became E nineteen, which was a gay club and they were awesome. We loved them, never any police problems. After that, it became Posh Nightclub or Posh, which was like an event center. I guess you could ran or have birthday parties there and then and then that closed and then that's when it was sold to the current ownership and became Privy. And so not only Privy went in. And then I don't know if you followed the shooting at stagger Lee's up in Clon.
Speaker 3: Yeah, individual flyer went back and it was like a down on a teenager fourteen fifteen with a gun, shoots his dude, tries to jack his phone or jack him. He should the guy pulls a gun out himself, fires and the teenager ran a couple of steps and fell over dead. Yeah, I remember that like literally right there.
Speaker 1: You see.
Speaker 5: So they closed in Closton and now they're they're my new neighbor directly across the street. So now they're the liquor store. And that is basically backing up to the VOA, which is one hundred and forty four bed prison, just a bunch of sex offenders and murderers. And I don't I remember the Anthony Kirklin story when you know he murdered you know, he was supposed to be the VLA that the jail thought he was.
Speaker 1: At the VOA.
Speaker 5: The VOA thought he was in jail, his lost track of the serial killer, and he went and murdered a little girl.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 5: So anyway, and then you know, directly you know where I live. They're very controversial forty four unit permanent support of housing that city council. You know, it actually went all the way to the High Supreme Court, I believe, because the lot that they're building this scene of was only zone for twelve units, and they are trying to put forty four chronically addicted homeless. You know, alcohol addicted directly next to a nightclub, directly next to a liquor store, directly next to privy.
Speaker 3: There's temptatos tell you you're trying to get clean, you're trying to get sober. We're trying to rehabilitate these people. And we've put a liquor store in a nightclub right and for the literally steps steps.
Speaker 5: Away and literally like and then when I'm sitting there and you know, and I've got you know, four and five neighbors, and this is what we've been watching for the last year.
Speaker 6: It's just like, you.
Speaker 5: Know, we were doing good and you know, we're we're all taking doing cleaning up our leaves and taking out the.
Speaker 7: Trash and doing the job.
Speaker 2: And then and then.
Speaker 1: One decision after the next, and there's.
Speaker 2: Like there's no planning there whatsoever?
Speaker 8: Is it?
Speaker 3: Like, Hey, we have a we have a diabetes treatment center here and we put in a dairy queen in the food court.
Speaker 2: Well, what the hell are we doing here?
Speaker 5: And I want you to know, like We've called like like city city Hall in the mayor, Like I've called Aftab's office. I've talked to his assistant, like I let he knows that they're putting a liquor store in directly across the street from a permit support of drug addiction. How like, so like I want you to know that, like this isn't like.
Speaker 1: They're not aware.
Speaker 2: You're making them aware.
Speaker 5: So no, we've we've done our part, you know, We've communicated to them and let them know, like, hey, if the goal is to like make this neighborhood better and faifer like you know, you're you're you're keep filling his bucket up. Okay, you keep selling it up, you keep selling it up, and as we saw this past weekend, like the bucket's going to overflow, you know, and and you.
Speaker 3: Like to me, it sounds like to me, okay, we're just saying yes to everything. There's no sense of planning, but it feels good. Hey, let's get a rehab thing. This morning on the Scott's Loan Show, I've got the man on remaining anonymous here for for reasons I'm pretty obvious to everyone is that this is the guy who found the gun. If you haven't seen the video, this has found the Privy night club shooting on Saturday. Early Sunday morning, gets up for a walk in his neighborhood lives right around the block, and uh, you can see it on my X feet at Scott Sloan and you see the gun laying there right in the grass.
Speaker 2: So let's segue to that.
Speaker 3: Now, you walk for a morning, walk your day, and I think the background is important because you know you're putting money in the neighborhood. Things are great for a while. Privy comes in maybe some of these decisions, and that's been under the left, this current administration. This isn't a Cranley, this is under aft Tip. All this stuff is going on because that is the pretext for what happened on Saturday. And crime is certainly violent crime, A lot of areas is feeling out of control. Certainly property crimes are a way out of control. At this point, I think those two things are tied together. You're walking along at Sunday. But how many hours after they pulled the crime scene tape off of the Privy investigation, open the street back up, would you say that you found that gun liner?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so this is early. It was probably nine am. I didn't even know a shooting had happened. Oh Tom, I was waking up of Sunday morning. I was walking down the street and when I walked by, the first time I made a video, I'd just taken a video. We can't stand Privy because it's just been one thing after the next step for the next at the next right, I took a little video just to show like the trash that was outside, you know, I thought that it was going to be a good video to have to show like, hey, at the end of the night, this is how they leave this place, and like this is just one of the fifty reasons why, like we hate having to miss neighbor. And to turn the corner in my video into the alley right in front of you know, the establishment, and there's like, look like a murder scene. Like it was just like a giant pool of blood and uh. And so that was the first time I was like, okay, what happened to here last night? And I got on the Citizen app and I saw that four people had gotten shot and so so anyway, I looked and kind of looked at the Citizen app as to where the shooting looked like it took place around Privy, and I just walked over there and just sitting right in the grass was a handgun and so I didn't even really try to look. I just just there's just sitting right there. And so I called the cops and said, hey, like, I don't know if you guys like even like look for this, but like the pistol sitting right here, it's directly This is a whole other topic. But like I saw some of the security footage. I actually went and talked to the owner who has met a few times, and he like showed me some of the security footage and like the video is crystal clear. And so if they don't make an arrest on this, like I have no idea what we're doing.
Speaker 3: How many feet would you say, from where you found the gun was in proximity to the to the front door of the.
Speaker 5: Club, So the shooting happened on the I guess it'd be the north end of Privy.
Speaker 1: There's a door.
Speaker 5: From what he said, there was a group of individuals that were trying to come into the club and they didn't want to be searched. I will give you this, Privy does have really impressive security, But it's the security is so impressive that it's it realizes how it makes you realize how alarming it is, Like these guys have bold proof vests on. They look like swat swat gear. The guys that are like searching you to get into privy.
Speaker 6: Wow, you know.
Speaker 3: So the guys who are on the front door, right the bouncers, they're dressed like paramilitary officers, paramilitary soldiers. Basically, I don't normal people like me and you and maybe folks listening look at that and go, well, there's a place I don't really want to spend my money. And if you got a dress like that to keep people out, imagine we gets through the door. Imagine what's going on behind the scenes. Because let's face well, seen this before, and this has happened in areas where we've had shootings and problems, and it's always this and I again, I don't want to false cast false aspersions here, but normally there's like, okay, there's the answer for everybody. And then the quote unquote VIP area where maybe friends, family, or people who are known to the individuals who run the place, they kind of go in unchecked that we've seen that happen before, You suspect maybe that's what's going on here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So from what I was told, there's a group I saw and they looked like they were twenty five ish years old. There's maybe five or six guys. They didn't want to get searched at the front door, so they went over to the side door and then they got really mad like when they couldn't get in. And so I don't know this series of events, but it sounds like they literally just started shooting at the building, which is insane. And it just kind of shows you the kind of people that Privy is drawing literally to my side yard, you know. And again, we've never dealt with this with Ryan Geist. We've never dealt with this with you know, Tablespoon Cooking Company or Kanji Sushi, like just all of our neighbors like this where this is the only neighbor we have. And again I want to reiterate, like this was a nightclub before now like this was a different night.
Speaker 1: And they were fine.
Speaker 6: We loved them.
Speaker 3: Because the people who are frequent and they know they can get in induce maybe some stuff that they can't get away with it Ryan guys to these other places, correct, correct.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And so this was the first weekend where this like it became really violent. But we have been calling the police and letting the city know for probably six more six plus months that like it's every weekend. So what happens is, you know, it's a problem. They're always fighting outside and then really what happens is when they let out at two am, it's just like a stampede of noise and violence. And what happens is they don't go home when they're at two am, so they like literally go outside to their car and they have liquor bottles in their cars that they probably bought at stagger Lease, and then they're just blairing their their music, you know, just part oh my front.
Speaker 2: Yard and if you call nine one, why you call it place? What's your response?
Speaker 5: You know, sometimes they come, sometimes they don't. I mean literally they'll be blocking Elm Street. I've seen like they're like three cars Wyde just in Elm Street. Girls are getting out, They're twerking, making TikTok videos in the middle elms C Street. It's it's insane. I mean, it's totally insane behavior. It's completely unsafe, and you know, honestly, it's gotten to the point where like I have a box fan that I sleep with now that it's like my only way of like trying attempting to drown.
Speaker 3: Out, and you complain and they're like, well, there's nothing we can do. We're understaffed, we're busy going after people are shooting. They're just making noise. When you talk to the mayor's office, when you and I know you've done this as a developers, a guy who's involved in investing in the city and living down there for fifteen years, what's your reaction from the mayor?
Speaker 6: So I call?
Speaker 5: And when I call the Mayor's office, I get his assistant, you know, like you can't just.
Speaker 1: Call sure and talk to him.
Speaker 5: So she answers and I, you know, I tell her, hey, you know, she screens the call, Hey what is this about?
Speaker 1: Who are you?
Speaker 5: And I say, hey, you know, my name is X, and you know, I'm calling to let you know, you know, what's going on in the neighborhood. And it's you know, and like he never he didn't, He's not going to call me. I actually know him. I've met him several times. He's actually been in my house before because I interviewed him for a video I made for somebody. But so I know him, you know, and like I've met them, and you know, honestly, this is off topic. But you know, I saw his comment yesterday he made it. I think I think it was Channel twelve or somebody got him and they and he his comment was something along the lines of in light of this historically violent behavior, and he blamed it on housing, not to comment.
Speaker 9: You hear it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, of course, it's all these other factors. You know, we just love criminals, criminals what they do. It's like now, now we've got criminals that are victims themselves, and so you don't understand and like, well, I'd love to see his attitude if people were doing that next to his house where he was trying to live. But of course that's the problem with a lot of these folks, and especially progressive like this, is that they live in glass houses and then cast dispersions on everyone else who wants to clean up the streets. You don't understand the problem. It's a problem. It's a problem they lived in because that crap is not happened. Next after that, Pureval, real quick before I let you go, because we only got a second or two here. You found the gun literally hours after the investigation cleared it. Privy, they cut the crime scene to when you called nine one one. I know, they probably didn't tell you that they came and got the gun. Do we think it was used in that shooting or this is unrelated? Because you know, I think people look at this and go, did they did the investigators miss picking that gun up off the street or was it used somewhere else or just happened to be There's so much gun violence around there that people just randomly throw their guns there the zero.
Speaker 5: Percent chances gun is not involved in the crime. So I don't know if you if you want to look on the north side of Privy, there's bullet holes all over the cinder block. So they just started shooting up Privy and this gun. I mean, based on the bullet holes that I saw in the center block and like the angle of them, it looks as if they literally shot directly across the street and that's where I found the gun.
Speaker 1: And and so I mean, how could that gun not be involved?
Speaker 3: How did you ad miss that? That's a bigger question for the police department. Is that's not a good look?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I agree, And it was kind of weird. They just sent one one. I'm an officer. She came and just like put on gloves, picked it up and they didn't like pick photos or anything. They just she just like took it and put in her car and just left and it was like okay. And then you know, they called the fire department because in the alley there was like what looked like a homicide scene. So the fire department came and cleaned out all the you know, bleached all the blood out, and it was just it was a weird morning.
Speaker 3: I was just well, I mean, you're watching you invested so much in your neighborhood and now you're seeing it fall apart because of these broken policies and promises and ideas that people who prey on others are not predatory sociopaths and criminals, they're victims themselves, and this is what you wind up getting.
Speaker 2: Sadly, Are you thinking of leaving?
Speaker 8: Uh?
Speaker 1: I mean that's a good question. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I mean I'm not gonna, like I'm heavily invested in the neighborhood. I'm not going to sell all of my property, but like my personal living situation, yeah, I mean I get the topic.
Speaker 4: I get it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you got a waigh that your safety security, they be able to to sleep for eight hours, you're crying out loud.
Speaker 2: Well, I gotta go.
Speaker 3: I'm really late, but I appreciate just sending the video and of course your insight to this because you're living You're not living the dream, You're living the nightmare.
Speaker 1: All the best to you. Thanks again, yep, thanks you all right.
Speaker 3: Don't want to just keep stay anonymous because he fears retribution from the people at the nightclub that he wants shut down your reaction all this on this election day of all things five one, three, seven, four, nine, seven thousand. We'll get your thoughts in just minutes slowly seven hundred wid Scott dark on seven hundred wlw oh yes, the time change. You wake up, it's dark outside, you get home from work, it's dark outside, just darkness and developing like we need this right now.
Speaker 2: Well, all the bad news in the world, it just makes things worse.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 3: Doctor Catherine Athens is a expert in this area and author of numerous books. And there's a connection between the darkness and our mental health. We all know about this, but what new information is there out there? And how do you cope with it? As we lose time hour this weekend? Doctor Catherine, good morning, how are you?
Speaker 10: I'm fine? Thank you, good morning, thanks for having me, and good morning to all your listeners as well.
Speaker 3: I'm already just thinking about the time change, getting depressed. I know, it's funny when I was younger, I mean, I love cold weather, love the snow and all that stuff, But the the fifteen hours of darkness a day, it really has an effect. The older I get, the worst it is. Is there a connection with any age and lack of sunlight?
Speaker 10: Well, we don't get as much sunlight when we get older, do we. We're not outside playing all the time. You know, kids are outside, We tell them go outside and play. And although you know, with a digital age it may have changed a lot, but adults are behind the desk, usually sitting under a fluorescent light, which is not good for the brain at all. And usually we're sooped over, we're dehydrated. We're drinking coffee to stay away, or maybe eating that nice jelly donut, and we're just trying to brace ourselves to get through the day. So the thing to do in the morning is to drink some warm water. You can drink it with lemon. You can put a little bit of apple cide or vinegar in there, which is good for cleaning the kidneys and the liver, which are two organs that help get rid of poisons. So why do we get depressed? We become over poxified in our bodies because we're stationary and the things we eat aren't necessarily nurishing. They taste good, though, So I tell people think about the basics. Think about doing some deep breathing, starting your day with an affirmation of something positive. Think about that during the day and sip water. Bring a water bottle or water container, sip it all day. The brain needs water to function, and most of us are dehydrated, especially.
Speaker 3: When you're inside and the air is dryer, it's not as humid. You're not, so you spend more time in die. That's why you get sick, because you're dried out. So hydration is a critical thing to remaining well in the winter months.
Speaker 2: For sure. What does a lemon do for me?
Speaker 4: Though?
Speaker 2: How does that?
Speaker 1: Does that beat depression and the lack of sunlight?
Speaker 4: Is it?
Speaker 2: It's not vitaes vitamin C.
Speaker 10: It's vitamin C. But it also helps to cleanse the liver. And you know, God bless our livers because they're always pulling toison out of our bloodstreams for us and trying to get rid of it so it doesn't circulate so much around the body, and the limit helps the liver do that. It also helps the kidneys to function, and it helps the water to taste better so you'll drink it. So there's lots of good reasons, you know. The thought of this darkness is horrific for people. So I help people look start by getting out in the sun more often when there is sun. Try to take your lunch break and maybe take something like a sandwich that you can eat while you're slowly walking, or go to the park and sit in the sun and they have a little bite to eat. So that way you're getting more sun even though we're not getting more sun. That will help the brain a lot.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: But here's the problem here, doctor Catherine Athens. Here's the problem with Cincinnati, Ohio. Problem with Cincinnati, Ohio is we literally will not see the sun ntil opening day this year when the red started, and even then that may be again, but there may be a couple hours. I think in the next six months we'll see the sun. But it's just a mere rumor. It's actually a lot of people right around April start to question whether or not the sun actually exists, if it's not just one of those Internet rumors or a myth or fake news or something like that, because we're pretty sure after by the time we get through February that the sun just doesn't exist anymore.
Speaker 10: Okay, all right, Well, there are things you can do. There is something called full spectrum light bulbs that you can buy and replace your light bulbs at home with the full spectrum because part of the seasonal effective disorder, that depression, is we're not getting some of the spectrum of the sun. If you're really bad off, there are machines that you can buy. They're not too expensive, and they will you can sit have them sit in front of you. You can watch TV or listen to the radio and they will project full spectrum light at you.
Speaker 2: Okay, how many how many hours?
Speaker 8: You know?
Speaker 3: My wife got me one last year a Christmas. I said I'm gonna try. I never used it because I'm just naturally positive. As you can tell here.
Speaker 4: I am.
Speaker 3: I'm a national treasure, is what I am, doctor, And I have a user. Yeah, I plan on maybe cracking that thing. Now, how long? How many hours a day? If you've got the happy light as they call them. They're pretty cheap. You can get on Amazon too. I didn't know about the light bulbs. You could put full spectrum light bulbs on the same thing. So if you got your I don't know, your easy chair next to your coucher, you know light next year couch light, use that when you're sitting there watching TV.
Speaker 2: How many hours a day do you need that though.
Speaker 4: Not very many.
Speaker 10: Actually you could start off with maybe two, one in the morning and one in the evening, you know that, maybe two If you don't have two, start off with twenty minutes a few times a day if you're home, but at least twenty minutes okay at a time. And it's really very useful. It helps a lot. It helps to retard that sad kind of syndrome in the winter with no light. Another thing is, if it's too cold to go outside, do some aerobic exercise inside. Get the blood going through your body, you know, get circulation going along with the light, and that will help the feeling of sadness and depression. It will actually make you feel better.
Speaker 3: More positive.
Speaker 2: Well, exercise is good for you.
Speaker 3: I mean, I know it's in the days that if I go a few days between workouts, I noticed I start to get little more tired and irritable than I normally am, and it's because I'm missing my workout. So I get that Doctor Katin Athens on the show this morning on seven hundred WLW got the time change. We lose an hour, and now darkness will encompass us and develop us here for the next five months roughly in Cincinnati, we won't see the sun maybe for a couple of minutes, I think, in the next five months here too. Some may say the sun was cut out in an extreme some sort of extreme budget cut or something like that, and or maybe the sun was captured and stolen by aliens, or we just don't get so you will not see the sun for quite some time in Cincinnati that south is Does that effect your sleep then too? I know that sun and sleep generally are at odds with one another, but does it mess with their sleep cycle too?
Speaker 10: It absolutely does. Our sleep cycle or circadian rhythms all get off. So I ask people to go to bed that hour earlier, even though it says, you know, it says four o'clock, it's actually five. So go to bed when you normally go to bed for a while, and then you can increase your bedtime maybe ten minutes each week, but go to bed, try to remain gain those same habits you have and get a lot of sleep. And yes, the sun, the sun activates trying to think of the name of the organs in the back of your head, and when you're in the sun, they're activated. When you're in the dark, they secrete melatonin. So you want to be in a dark room to sleep, but you want to have had some full spectrum light, whether it be the Happy machine or your light bulb, or for some reason there is some sunshine because that balances the brain. Now, you notice in the wintertime people become less friendly, more irritable, just because we're not moving as much and we're not drinking enough water. I mean, just think about the holidays. You don't drink all year, and you don't eat much, and suddenly you're drinking like crazy on Thanksgiving, you're eating all kinds of stuff you never eat the rest of the year, and then you feel miserable and you go, why am I feeling so bad?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I'm living my life like a medieval king or something. I'm eating literally just eating giant geese neck and drumsticks and I'm drinking wine and meat and I'm just having a blast. But then you feel like crap after. It's kind of like when you eat all the Halloween candy the same thing.
Speaker 10: Right, right? So don't I tell people don't use moderation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but that's not fun. That's no fun, though, it's it's I. I'm the other extreme though. I believe in everything in its excess. I think if you, I think it'll balance ballances. I'll work out for three straight days and I'm gonna eat for nine straight days.
Speaker 2: What about that?
Speaker 8: All?
Speaker 10: What most people do? You're right in the groove? Oh I worked out? Why am I?
Speaker 8: I mean?
Speaker 10: Wait, when did you work out last week?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 10: Okay, Well, I don't.
Speaker 2: Want to rush into anything. I could strain.
Speaker 1: Something that's true.
Speaker 10: That's true.
Speaker 3: I don't want to jump in this exercise thing. You know, well at the time change here and losing an hour sleep. It's also too trying to get your body set because uh, you know the week when they tell you the clock changes, and then it takes you a week to get your body right again. Is it better? Is it kind of like jet legs? Should you just go to bed at the same time, or yes, go to bed.
Speaker 10: At the same time. We actually gain an hour, but the hour we gain is darkness. So go to bed at the same time, get up at the same time, and then slowly work into the new time zone. You know, if you can go to bed at the same time, get up at the same time. Drink your water. Now, if you want to know how much water you should ask, take your body eight. Say you weigh one fifty divided in half, that's seventy five and those are ounces. You need seventy five ounces of water a day, which is huge. It's more than half a gallon.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's something you sip on a little bit of water all day. Go I had like two bottles of water. That's not it's not for me. And then if you're active, you need even more water.
Speaker 10: For that matter, if you're active, you need more water. And so the brain doesn't function without water. It doesn't function. Functions on glucose, water and amino acids. And most of us don't get enough amino acids because we're dieting or we're eating some kind of green and we're not looking at the fact we need a variety of amino acids for the brain to function properly. But we also need each other. We need human interaction, face to face for the brain and the neural pathways to function properly. I recommend, if you do nothing else, go to the market or the hardware store, the Walmart, whatever, and start saying hello to people.
Speaker 5: Hello, how are you?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 10: Good morning?
Speaker 7: What do you hate?
Speaker 3: What if you just hate people? And is there no hope for you? Is it terminal? What's going on there?
Speaker 2: Doctor?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 10: It could be no.
Speaker 2: Ways, I say, the reels that don't go because people piss me off.
Speaker 10: Okay, well, well that's another story.
Speaker 3: There's just too many idiots in the world. I think people will listening to you, right, Sloan. There's too many idiots in the world. And that's why I tend to just stay home and eat and and be mindless of myself. All Right, we have do you think? As a doctor? And you studied this stuff again on the show this morning. It's doctor Catherine Athens, and she is an expert in the area of sleep. And we've got one in five Americans experiencing winter blues, according to the Cleveland Clinic. And they would know because there's no more depressing place in the world in Cleveland. So the Cleveland Clinic people, I would agree with them, and maybe even two and five at this point too. But she's a clinical and health psychologist and she's on the show talking about the time change here and what that means for you, how to combat with happy lights and making sure you're getting hydrated well enough and all that. Should we get away with daylight savings time in the clock four o clock back?
Speaker 10: Nonsense, you bet you we should. And in California we voted I think six years ago to do away with that, but we still have to do it. Someone isn't listening to the people over here.
Speaker 3: We have that problem here too, So it's not just Ohio, it's also California.
Speaker 10: Oh yeah, oh yeah, so you got bigger problems. What issue?
Speaker 3: But yes, time change the list of those problems you got over there, that's for dam imn sure. So yeah, it seems to me. I just keep one deddy constant time and we're good there this, you know, jumping back and forth every six months. So really, you know, I could see back in the day where you needed natural daylight in order to get stuff done. But we have electricity. Now we've had electricity at least I think for the last three or four years.
Speaker 4: I believe, well we do.
Speaker 10: But you know, the charcoal lobby wanted this daylight savings time because they found out that was another hour or so of sunlight. They make more money, the charcoal lobby. The charcoal lobby, no idea, blame them for this.
Speaker 3: Good lord, there's a big big charcoals behind all this big kings.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a lobby for any you've got politicians, you'll have a you'll have a lobby.
Speaker 2: There's no doubt about it.
Speaker 3: So doctor Catherine Athrines Athens at H A N S. And thanks again for the time. And she has written of several books as a matter of fact, the latest called it The Heart Brain. And doctor Catherine Athens, thanks for coming on the show.
Speaker 10: It's my pleasure. And please everyone drink your water, don't don't push yourself. Everybody's going through this miserable time change together, so please just take your time and work yourself into it, and then a few weeks you'll you'll.
Speaker 6: Be better, hopefully.
Speaker 10: But well let's not get get out your happy machine.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 2: Well, the good news is we have cheap flights to Florida.
Speaker 3: If all else fails, get on Allegiance or Delta or whatever and get the hell out of town for a few days.
Speaker 2: That always helps. To doctor Catherine all the.
Speaker 10: Best, Thanks you you too, Bye bye.
Speaker 3: Now, today is the day because Sunday. Okay, time change. It's Sunday. You're watching football, the big deal. Monday rolls aren't yesterday. And now it's starting to affect you a little bit. Okay, Sun's coming up in the morning or and when I get home, it's getting dark and your mind is preparing for sure. In addition to that, today is election day, Election day. If you're in OHI, make sure you take that idea with You're gonna need it if you are going to vote. And of course that pulls open we'll get a full update on what's happening there. We'll also chat with the council candidate if you haven't voted yet. Anthony Weiner running for council one of the what twenty nine people running for counsuls some along those lines, twenty six people. It's a lot, let's put it that way, a boatload of folks. Why should you vote for him? And what he sees from an outsider's perspective. What's going on is Mayol race? Very interesting. We'll get to that just ahead here slowly seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: Do you want to be in?
Speaker 3: That is election day in the Buckeye States, not so much Indiana, Kentucky, Vainley, Ohio. Good Morning Scotland Show, seven hundred WW In New York as well. It's a big one. People are watching. We'll continue to get results. And again, polls closed in Ohio today at seven thirty. You do need an ID if you are going there. Don't forget the damn ID. You can you vote provisionally if you forget it, but it's just easy to bring it with you.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 3: So we got that going on, and maybe a reckoning too, And you kind of look at the tea leaves you see how maybe some polling's going alike in it. You know, his Aftabs race can be a little closer than he hopes it to be sure, and I think that's he's maybe sweating a little bit, maybe a little bit of pressure there, But mainly I think it's a down ticket and that would be for Counsole candidates. We have nine seats available and there are twenty six candidates, even if you include the guy that's in jail right now. And you know there's some I think there's some well thought people that might wind up losing their seated result. It just it seems to me like voters are going to maybe take this out on the existing council as opposed to the mayor, just the way things work out. One of the people seeking your vote today is that Aaron Weiner. He's a realtor, lives in Clifton and a charter Charter write a charter candidate for counsel.
Speaker 2: Aaron, Welcome to the show. How are you?
Speaker 9: Thank you for having me, glad to be.
Speaker 2: Here, appreciate it. How's a campaign going this? Now that it's over, I tell you what.
Speaker 9: I'm feeling good. I'm proud of the campaign that I've run. I've thought through it over the last seven months, where I've been, who I've talked to, who I've met, and the work I've done, and I'm feeling good.
Speaker 3: The big issue here, it's a referendum on crime, as I portrayed, and every candidate, yourself included, is really leaning into public safety this point. I'll play a clip of this a little bit later on I don't have time right now with you. I want to give you the most time possible. But at nine o'clock this morning, nine o six, I had a anonymous neighbor on A guy literally who lives in the shadows of the nightclub Privy nightclub that was shot up on Saturday night, walks out the morning after. Didn't know what was going on, said, man, there's crime scene tether stuff all over. Looks around, said there's a shooting there. So he walks down the block and literally steps away from the back door where the shooting took place, he finds a gun. I've got the video up on my feed at X at Scott Sloan, and you know, it's just that kind of lack of attention to detail. And I don't know if it's an indictment against the cops or not. We'll get their side of the store. So why that weapon was missed or maybe it's not even related to this or just laying there. But that's frightening to think that you could have someone denied access to a nightclub shoots up the place, and it's just a steady drumbeat of public safety and crime because many people, your self includive invested their resources into developing that neighborhood and the neighborhoods in Aroundincinnati. Living there and your livelihood and also your safety is threatened by the lack of attention to street criminals doing what they do. Correct you saw this in Clifton, did you not? We just had to shooting there and on Shortvine. How much of public how much do you think the voters are going to use this as a referendum on public safety today?
Speaker 9: I think it's the core issue in the city right now. I think it's been very public throughout the summer, and I think it's really it's really just a basic thing that people expect when you know from the from the cities that it's safe. It's it's what it's what attracts people to move into the city, which makes them move out, It brings them downtown, it's what brings them the neighborhoods. I mean, I think it's it's just a core responsibility and a core expectation of people in the city as well. People come visit the city.
Speaker 2: Have you seen violencers? Has it affected you or you live in Clifton?
Speaker 9: No, I mean, honestly, other than we we did have the issue with the with the hookah bar. So I'm not sure you're familiar with with that. That's been all over the news. Yeah, on the neighborhood, and I think they just they just got shut down finally. We've been working on this for two years, so, I mean, I think that's certainly been an issue that that we've we've had in my neighborhood in Clifton. You know that that brought a lot of a lot of filing activity. There was there was a gun. There was a you know, a gun that was Brandish we saw back in the summer there. As a result, Yeah, that's really kind of been the main thing certainly we've had. We've had more low level crimes. There's always break ins, but that's I think that's just normal. But the main thing that's been the hookah.
Speaker 3: Bar right right, and and uh, the previous guy, the guy was on and honestly with a gun in front of Privy. He said, you know all time today, look the club a let out. People go to the liquor store next Dora, a liquor store across the street by Laker or bring it with them, sit in their cars around their cars and basically, uh, take the club to the streets and you know, they'll be a loud music being played all hours of the night. He'll call the police, they won't show up, they won't do anything. There's not enough of them that's not prioritized.
Speaker 6: He said.
Speaker 3: You know, sometimes it takes an hour, two hours to get a response simply because they're overwhelmed.
Speaker 2: What is your plan to solve it?
Speaker 3: Because I understand it talking to officers, many more are leaving retirement, taken early retirement than more are coming in, simply because you know, if I work on a outside, you know, we talk about Alattle recruiting a class. Why would I want, maybe for a little bit more money, to risk my life, my family safety security to go fight a losing battle against crime in the streets of cincinnatiwork. Can I stay where I am? How can we incentivize police more?
Speaker 9: Well, that's that's a very good question. And I think that's why I'm on here this morning. I've with my with my team. I've done a research, it's a fifteen page plus research to recruit and retain our police officers. And you bring up a very good point, and we need to incentivize not just the police officer that we're fortunate enough to have with us now on CPD, but attract new talent as well as lateral talent. And that's a two prong approach. The first prong approach is a bonus structure. So you know, we've heard of in the past, we've heard of corporate buyouts where you pay people to actually retire early. This is kind of the reverse. We're actually going to offer bonus structures to encourage police officers to stay a year, two years, three years, with with with sizeable bonuses to encourage them to stay. And to your point, you know, with the issue we talked about, you know in the bar down talent, you know the other night, one time, sort of sizeable bonuses to police officers that might work in more stressful areas in order to incentivize them to stay. But I think these are ways of making sure that the talent that we have, that we've trained, that we respect, stays with us as we beef up our police force, which we are about two hundred down, if not more at this point if you take into consideration the growth we have in our city. So that's that's really the first prong of that, trying.
Speaker 2: To stop the bleeding, so to speak to you. Use a bad pun.
Speaker 9: There, right, exactly exactly, So wet's stay with us, work with us.
Speaker 6: We're going to.
Speaker 9: Incentivice to you. We're going we're gonna make it worth your while to stay with us. It's going to get better. And I think that's sort of the first prong of this. The second prong of this really involves my industry. So I'm in real estate. I'm in twenty been in real estate twenty five years. And when I when I started this process of running for a council, I wanted to work with what I know, and that's certainly that's housing, and that's housing. So but with that, I thought to myself, wouldn't it be great if our police officers, more of them lived within our city limits? And you know, they're not required to by law, they don't have to be required to, and I would never mandate that they have to, but like, let's sweepen the deal a little bit and encourage them to move here. And that would be sort of a recruiting, a recruiting tool for us. So how that's going to work. It's it's it's a down payment assistance program as well as a rental stipe. So the down payment situation will work like this. So let's say you saved seven thousand, five hundred dollars, We'll match seven thousand, five hundred dollars. So all of a sudden, you have fifteen thousand dollars down, and obviously you can certainly put more if you have it right, but you have to leave fifteen thousand dollars down. That's five percent, which you can do on a three hundred thousand dollars house, which is about the average price of a house incence not even right now. So I think that's it. Certainly, with the cost of housing going up, I think that's certainly a way to attract this interesting people to come to us versus maybe going to Green Township for blue ashespential downs, which might well.
Speaker 3: You don't have to incentive. I mean you can get it for So you get seven match seventy five hundred dollars for first responder, and now it covers half of a minimal day, but you got to commit to five years of residency, closing costs, preferred finance, you got a lender rental assistance program you mentioned that is it sounds to me like you're said it's like a mini VA program of programs they have federally for teachers to incentivize them to go into teaching. Now we're trying to incentivize people to go into policing.
Speaker 9: Correct, correct. And you touched on the second prong just early, which is a rental stipend. So obviously not everyone's going to want to rent or buy right away, or they mayn't have their needs to buy us. The next prongis of this is the rental assistant. So let you know, maybe give them up to eight hundred dollars of assistance to rent. We'll partner with some of our larger property property owners in the city to do that. And I think this could this could attract some of our younger people to want to come to come and work for us, because again the housing cost have gotten so high that this might be be a carrot for them to want to come work for CPT as opposed to other jurisdictions and again attract young talent for long jovity.
Speaker 3: All right, I like, so you're send him an incentive program to keep and retain the office. We have now to stem the time and go, hey, listen, be patient. Hold on a second. Here's here's some incentives for you to stay, which is always good, and then to get the lateral recruitment classes, which we need because that's fast tracked. That's already people who are police officers will pot of certified, ready to go. You're just training up for Cincinnati. It's going to take considerable less time than the recruit classes that we have, and that's going to help stem things here hopefully in Cincinnati. If Aaron Weiner gets elected to council today and he's joining the show this morning on seven hundred w OP. But I like that plan a lot. I like the fact you're a realtor. Realtors generally are good people.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 9: I appreciate I appreciate you saying that we've been compared to you know.
Speaker 3: Not no, no, no no. I'm married to a real estate broker's ie. Realtors are the best people I know for sure. Let's let's segue a little bit. And that's the public safety element of that too. Speaking of property and like, of course we all witnessed what happened in Hyde Park Square relative to the coordinated communities playing there's a huge backlash that my friends who down in Hyde Park. I'm a pro development guy, but I get the fact that you have to have some skin in the game if you have a neighbor. We shouldn't completely look at neighbors and go, hey, they have final say on everything. I think it's an important and big seat at the table, but it's a big table. How do we make sure that doesn't happen again and at the same time encourage development in the city. If you solve the crime problem, that's going to go a long way. But there's also the development angle.
Speaker 4: Here too, correct.
Speaker 9: So it's funny that you bring bring that up because I'm sitting here in my office on Hyde Park Square, which really is it's the Clubal Banker building, which is ground zero for that particular development. And you know, I think to answer your question, I think it's just it does involve just some strategic engagement, some just some discussion and and and we're in getting to yes. I certainly feel like there is a deal to be made in in that equation. And certainly I'm also being in real estate, you know, pro development, and I certainly feel that that you know that there are buildings that have higher and there are a space that have higher and better usage that we can we can work with here. So I mean my bottom line is I feel like development and growth should enhance the neighborhood and not erase it, and certainly shouldn't just place people as much as possible. I mean, Cold World Bankers is a national company. You know, we're going to be okay, but you know, some of these smaller businesses may may not have as easy a time with with this particular particular thing, and I feel like that's an important thing to think about. I think another thing that to think about with that particular scenario is, you know the apartment buildings that are here now that actually is affordable housing. I mean that's you know, below market rate rent in Hyde Park. So I mean, I think if we're going to talk about, you know, if our city is going to talk about we need affordable housing, which obviously we hear a lot, you know, why are we why are we okay with getting rid of some of the last affordable housing that you might see in Hyde Park. And I may say that because it's below market rate rent, but it's just just something that maybe people haven't talked about in that issue, which I think is so important to talk about as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I certainly neighbors need absolutely to have to have But but but I think if you and you've seen this in real estate with hoas and the smaller this is a bigger scale than that. But if you left it up basically to the neighbors to decide, I don't think you probably have any development going on, would you?
Speaker 9: No, absolutely not. I definitely feel like part of the part of that, part of that is part of that is maybe maybe tailoring exactly that's the feedback, so you know, we we here's the feedback, and here's the feedback in which in which you you know, what are your what are your main hot we're the three hot points, and how do we get to yes and not just not having this whole like broad, you know, broad discussion that might be one. They just sort of tailoring that, tailoring the different points. But also you know, I'm my my background is in real estate. I was just so I'm used to having another relator on the side, a buyer or seller. So you know, my my my whole goal is getting to yes. So I feel like you find you find the pain points, you find the places that you think you can find some you can find some agreement. Where is there some middle gramm where we can where we can grow or learn or or stretch. And I think ultimately, like in the perfect scenario, everyone feels like they've given a little more than maybe just like everyone gets compromised and we put a deal together that firsthand.
Speaker 3: And and there's sometimes where as you know in real estate deals, and sometimes you're you're miles and miles apart and literally will a few hours it all comes together.
Speaker 1: It's just it's the damnedest thing.
Speaker 3: But concessions have to be made, and that's being a good negotiator as you are Eron. That makes a lot of sense to me. It's kind of what the city needs. Final question for you is, voters go to the polls today here in the Buckeye stay till seven thirty, and it's Aaron Weiner on the show. One of the twenty six council candidates, maybe twenty five console candidates. You got one behind bars. I'll bank at twenty five, Aaron in this case. So how much has to change within the city and maybe in the mayor all race, We'll see what happens there. I think you have to have wins, but maybe a little closer than they likes. I think The consensus is going to be about what happens to council though, and how things the makeup of council changes. How much is going to have to change in council for you to get these things done? That's the big question. You may get elected, but are you pushing a boulder up the hill?
Speaker 9: Well, to be honest with you, I think that's certainly up to the voters, right, I mean, I think there's a different speculation on there's going to be two seats that might might come bake at three two three four. I think in order to have successful conversation, you have to have a balance of power. And I think if we can see a balance of power, and I think if we can see some more maturity. You know, I'm fifty six years old. I've had a lot of life experience. I've worked in both nonprofit as a volunteer. I run a successful business. I feel like if you get some maturity on council and you get some stronger personalities and maybe some different view points, maybe a little more centrist, maybe even someone who's a little more right, I feel like we'll have some more powerful conversations.
Speaker 2: Yeah, divided government is better.
Speaker 3: Real quick here if I'll let you go, Aaron, if you are in if you're on council and you're in council during the riot or during the rights, during the July twenty six beat down, the brawl, Fountain Square, what's happening in lift In and over the Ryne and elsewhere, but particular the firing Orriff Chriff Police Chief Terry Fiji. Would you ever spoken against the mayor? What do you have stepped up? Because no one in council. I'm saying maybe a couple of people I've had the show have stepped up and denounced the mayor and I was handled this whole thing.
Speaker 2: Would you have stepped up?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 9: I mean, it's such a loaded question because again, my my career has been so much about collaboration and playing nice in the sandbox now, so I've never I've never been one to necessarily want to denounce someone publicly, so you know I'd have to, you know, I just want to say, I think, I think I think it's it's it's easy to play Monday morning quarterback and look back on how things would have gone. I definitely would have liked I would like to have a united front on an issue and have some strategic front procedure on it. It's not to say that I would not come at a council or a leader if I felt that what they were doing was wrong. Would it be publicly maybe, maybe not, would it be privately absolutely?
Speaker 3: Aaron Weiner, council candidate, pulls up until seven thirty. I wish you all the best luck in the world. We do need some change within those nine members. Guarantee at least one because Victoria Parks isn't running, she said, unrightly, so we'll fill a least one seat. But I wonder how many it's going to take in order for the administration to pay attention just how serious this crime issue is. Above all alls, Aaron Alli bet good luck today.
Speaker 9: Thank you, thanks the opportunity.
Speaker 4: You, sir.
Speaker 3: I've got to get a news update in and win a return will kind of maybe a little list, but rehash the nine o'clock hour and if you missed it. I had a discussion with the neighbor found the gun in front of Privy after the after the police had already left. There's a gun, Laine and they're like, well, kind of miss this. How that fits in the grand scheme of what we're talking about this election day. Scott's Thlan show continues next and we'll get your calls in as well. On seven hundred Scott flown here seven hundred l W. I'm sure hearing that the Logan Wilson dealt by the Bengals to the Dallas Cowboys for a seventh round draft pick on this decision day in more ways than one, not all of that to the deadline for the NFL and the deadline for voters today to get out and you have the seven thirty if you're in Ohio, bring an id Witchham and got a bunch of ballots and certainly a lot of levies issues. CPS has one probably talking to folks from CPS about that tomorrow. Things are looking good for that the interesting one, and I think the eyes of the region are on Sinday. Cincinnati. That's a little of the big one.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like I said, you've got some school levies and issues and school boards and stuff like that. But it's an off year election cycle and an important one though in Cincinnati because you have a mayoral race and you also have the council race. I think the mayor race have been saying it seems like that's a lock for Aftab just not if he wins, but how by much and what that means, what that message is narrow the margin, the more he's going to have to pay attention to what he's been ignoring. And that also changes his trajectory because clearly he is a guy who's in it for higher office than the mayor of Cincinnati. Kind of felt that way for a long time. There's a number of politicians are like that that they seems they're just biding their time to get a bite at a bigger apple, so to speak. But it has not been going well lately for him because, certainly on this show and others, we've been pretty much attacking him. Not because he's a Democrat, I know that's the thing is now, oh you're a Republican station and not actually true of more a libertarian, but not attacking him because he's a progressive or a Democrat. I'm at tagging him because of the policies and because what it has wrought. And this is the seeds that he sowed four years ago are now sprouting and quite only turning into weeds. At this point, thought that they may be flowers, but it turns out a lot of its weeds, and the weeds, of course, are the problem of crime. And those weeds have grown to the point where they get their tentacles or on the heart of the city at this point, and it's choking it out. First hour of the show this morning at nine oh six. If he missed it, you can catch it on the podcast following the show at the twelve o'clock today.
Speaker 2: So listen to it as.
Speaker 3: A and I had him on and people are like, well, how do we know who it is as a real person?
Speaker 2: Is it not fame made up?
Speaker 3: It's a neighbor who lives literally steps away from Privy, the nightclub, the last example of the bloodiness that is Cincinnati, the senseless violence at Cincinnati, and he lives right there. He is a real estate guy himself speaking of you know, we just had on here in Aaron Weiner, council candidate, realtor had some good ideas I think to try and get cops staying but also coming to the city of Cincinnati. But in this case, a guy who's developing the neighborhood. He's you know, renting, fixing places up, renting them out so you got some affordable housing, probably get some retail on stuff down there. His skin in the game and lives there. And he was on in the first hour of the show this morning describing what life is like down there now. And it's about Privy because it's in the backyard. But I think Privy is emblematic of the problem overall because he mentioned that, you know, years ago, you didn't have much downtown before Rhinegeist was rhein Geist and all those things, and so the wonderful development that he's a part of, and now he feels like it's slipping away. You know, if you're the person. And there's countless people, countless hundreds of people who do what he did, and that is they buy some property. They had an opportunity to buy low and maybe sell high. That's American dream. That's how he made money, put his own hard work and savings into buying properties, and that led to other properties and so on and so forth. And everything that was promised to him is like, hey, come down, you can get you can get a parcel of land, you can get a vacant building at a market or a lesson market rate. Place will incentivize you to develop it and build it in three CDC's involved on that great stuff, and we had we had this great renaissance in Cincinnati not that long ago, and you feel like it's all in jeopardy because of an unchecked criminal element, simply because we got too complacent when it came to crime. One of those was, hey, we've got enough cops. We don't need anymore. Things seem to be going well, So why are we spending all this money on fighting crime? Well, okay, see what happens when you ease your foot off the gas a little bit, and then you have policies, And this is where I would attack after abound.
Speaker 2: It's the policies.
Speaker 3: The policies are that we're going to not go after individuals because we feel that criminals are victims too.
Speaker 2: That's not true. They're criminals.
Speaker 3: And there's so many good people of all different walks of life, socioeconomic, race, creed, and color. It's not about them. It's a good people versus the predators out there. And I have a sense that the people in front of Privy are predators. Does it make a lot of sense that you shoot up a nightclub because you can't. I just doesn't make any sense. And it's disturbing because it's a quality of life issue, no, and it's also a public safe The public safety is huge, right, It's like one of the three big things that local governments and control of, you know, certainly the streets and the sidewalks and keeping the snow cleared, removing the trash. The other one is the biggest one is public safety. And if there's a p that you're not safe, you're not going to see people invest in downtown and OTR in these neighborhoods. And we need more development, not less, because we continue and continue to fall behind. And so you don't think the war is lost, but they've set it up so much by this hands off, feel good policies that it has led to where we are right now. I'm just curious as a voter, if you're there voting today, I've voted that you're going to take this out maybe on the mayor maybe you won't vote, But I think there's a lot you know, most most of Cincinnati, you're a Democrat, you're progressive. You're not going to not vote for maybe you don't vote for AFTAB. You're probably not going to vote for Corey Bowman because he's a Republican. I understand that, but at the same time, I wonder what level accountability you hold the members of council.
Speaker 2: That'll be the big one.
Speaker 3: And there's nine seats up for grabs with twenty six people going for it, and I wonder at least one because Victoria Parks is running anymore, so there's one seat. But you wonder how many more people get displaced on council because the voters are frustrated and scared for that matter. And I don't blame you at all for that. This morning, as I said, at nine oh six, I had on the neighbor who found the gun in front of Privy or next to Privy anyway, and just kind of edited up a little bit so you can get idea if you missed that. Here is our conversation from about nine this morning. Again it's on the podcast I'll following after the show. And I asked this individual who wanted to rename anonymous here and the videos up on my ex feed at Scott Sloan if you haven't seen it yet, and what time he was out there and what time did you find the gun.
Speaker 8: I'm honored to be a part of the show. I'm glad to be talking to you.
Speaker 2: I appreciate you. What's your take on a US.
Speaker 8: I'm more so, Okay, I miss I missed the prompt, so I just tuned in on the part where the guy called something about m Street.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, you're.
Speaker 2: Talking about.
Speaker 3: This is a guy who lives like literally steps away from the from Privy nightclub. He's a guy that found the gun in the grass after the shooting on Saturday. And then this is after the investigation.
Speaker 8: Oh wow, Okay, I was more so. I want to say that a lot of people over the Rye, right and kind of grew kind of grew up in over the Rhyn, right. I do have conservative views, if that's okay. And yeah, a lot of people who have done any dirt down here, they don't live down here, if that makes sense. I heard I heard them say something about just torking on the cars and all of that. When you ap off the park once you see those people. You don't see those teenagers at the park because their mom don't play, right, because we do still have six and eight down here, right, So a lot of people who come down here to do their dirt, to do their violence, they don't live down here. They catch the bus to come down here to cause havoc in our neighborhood and it's unacceptable, right, And.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I mean think about it.
Speaker 3: You know, you're not living that there's that club and it caters to a certain clientele that because there's so few people that are willing to do that. And let's face it, I mean, Sarah, you know, there's a reason why that element has attracted that club is because maybe they're looking the other way. Maybe you know, I know this, he's okay, hey, come in, you have weapons, you have drugs, you have god knows what you're getting in there. It's gonna attract that kind of element because you know, the word gets around that they're cool at at at Privy and so this brings that element there. And it's gonna bring people with their cars. It's gonna because you said, buses, whatever, somebody's gonna ride and where this is the spot we're going to this and and that's going to attract all that from all around the city.
Speaker 8: That you know what that that is, that is true? That is that is true to a certain extent.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 8: But when you also when we come down here to live down here, we have to we we don't want to write. But we have to expect, uh sort of that sort of that element because this, this neighborhood isn't known to be the best, right And like you said, people are coming from everywhere to invest in down here. They have to understand that a lot of this stuff and I'm also convinced that a lot of this isn't going to change either, right, Like I feel bad for the police chief because she did come out and I heard it on WEBN, she did come out and say that she didn't have enough cops who patrol. Because I lived right where a sixteen year old got shot someone else got shot on next to Tinis. I live near there. So it's just sad, and it's horrible because it is a beautiful neighborhood. Whether it's we're we're some mixed neighborhood, right, it is a beautiful neighborhood. And those of us who live down here, even the Section eight people, even us who like myself, work every day five days a week and go to work and come home, we we like.
Speaker 2: I sense, you know, And here's the thing here, I feel you frustrated as well.
Speaker 3: It's like this is not you know, We've got those the visitors in the city and it's black and it's white and all this and it's not It's like there's good people and bad people. It's like, what the hell is so hard about You call nine one one and they're you know, playing their blaring music and drinking liquor on car hoods at three o'clock in the morning, four o'clock mark, How hard is that to run those people off of there?
Speaker 4: That?
Speaker 3: And you know, we don't have enough cops, you know, like a h fifty cops short, they don't have time for that.
Speaker 2: But it's also the policies.
Speaker 8: I think they're scared.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe maybe too.
Speaker 8: I think our police are nervous to come and come out to calls because they typically don't know, like you get disturb dis order allowed if it's loud, they're not coming up. I've heard shots before, Nick, and I'll literally put look at my park and they take about an hour and a half before.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they just back. And the problem is that they're backed up.
Speaker 3: And that is because like when you treat a criminals like they're victims in this whole feel good nonsense, this is what you wind up getting. I mean, they're bad people in the world of all stripes like, I don't know why it's so damn hard just to take the people, regardless of what they look like, or what gender they are or or I don't care. It's if you're doing bad stuff, you're you're you're wreaking havoc and ruining your neighborhood.
Speaker 2: You gotta get the hell out of there. Knock it off. It's not that hard. I appreciate.
Speaker 3: Well, guys, cut off there, all right. Let me let me get the audio in here again. From about nine oh six, had the guy on the show the neighbor who found the gun, because I was asking him about what time he actually found the gun in the morning when he's out looking.
Speaker 5: Probably nine am. I didn't even know a shooting had happened. I was waking up of Sunday morning. I was walking down the street and when I walked by the first time I made a video, I'd just taken a video. We can't stand privy because it's just been one thing.
Speaker 7: After the next, after the next at the next.
Speaker 5: So I took a little video just to show like the trash that was outside. Yeah, you know, I thought that it.
Speaker 1: Was going to be a good video to have to show like hey, at the end of the night, this is how they leave.
Speaker 5: This place, and like this is just one of the fifty reasons why, like we hate having to miss a neighbor. And to turn the corner in my video into the alley right in front of, you know, the establishment, and there was like looked like a murder scene. Like it was just like a giant pool of blood. And so that was the first time I was like, Okay, what happened to here last night? And I got on the Citizen app and I saw that four people had gotten shot. Kind of looked at the Citizen app to where the shooting looked like it took place, and I just walked over there and just sitting right on the grass was a handgun And so I didn't really try to look.
Speaker 1: I just just was just sitting right there.
Speaker 5: And so I called the cops and said, hey, like, I don't know if you guys like we need to look for this, but like the pistols sitting right here, it's directly this is a whole other topic. But like I saw some of the security footage. I actually went and talked to the owner who I've met a few times, and he like showed me some of the security footage, and like the video is crystal clear, and so if they don't make an arrest on this, like I have no idea what we're doing.
Speaker 3: How many feet would you say from where you found the gun was in proximity to the to the front door of the club.
Speaker 5: So the shooting happened on the I guess it'd be the north end of Privy.
Speaker 1: There's a door.
Speaker 5: From what he said, there was a group of individuals that were trying to come into the club and they didn't want to be searched. I'll give you this, Privy does have really impressive security, but it's the security is so impressive that it realizes how it makes you realize how alarming it is.
Speaker 1: Like these guys have bulletproof vests on. They look like swat swat gear.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a couple of guys in tactical gear. Looks like they're headed into war as opposed to the front end of the place I want to go have not the place I want to go have beer.
Speaker 2: What about the shooters?
Speaker 1: I saw them.
Speaker 5: They looked like they were twenty five ish years old. There's maybe five or six guys they didn't want to get searched. At the front door, so they went over to the side door, and then they got really mad like when they couldn't get in. And so I don't know this series of events, but it sounds like they literally just started shooting at the building, which is insane, and it just kind of shows you the kind of people that Privy is drawing literally to my sideyard.
Speaker 2: That was from nine oh six this morning.
Speaker 3: If you missed one, here the whole discussion, it'll be available on the podcast via iHeartRadio app for free, so you can download that listen to your own time or just to you know, check it out then. But on this and the reasons anonymous because while he has a fear of retribution from those people who frequent and own that particular club, it's a problem. It's problem invested in the neighborhood, has seen and then put a lot of his own money and hard work into affordable housing and bringing the neighborhood up, and now it's being torn apart because we don't have cops to run people off when they're partying after hours around there, drinking, talking on cars, that kind of stuff, that kind of scene. It's a mess down there. And of course today being election day. You would think that there's some sort of wake up call from the voters of Cincinnati. Whatever that looks like. It's going to be interesting to have this discussion tomorrow. Yeah, and you know, I feel for you if you live in the city right now. I wonder if the interesting part is going to be starting tomorrow after the elections, when the when the dust cells and smokes clear, do they change tech or they just simply go, hey, you know what we want re election, win our seats. We're going to continue the way things are. We're fine, no retribution whatsoever. We don't feel it from the voters. A lot on the line to for share in the city. Scott Sloan Show and the Home of the best Bengals coverage, seven hundred W AL Don't want to.
Speaker 8: Be an American idiot, The Scott Sloane Show, seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: Good morning.
Speaker 3: Today is election day, of course in Ohio, Kentucky, Indiana. Don't forget the id I've been talking about the passing of President Dick Cheney, vice President sorry Dick Cheney, so I may say president, but vice President Dick Cheney. And it also marks today a very interesting anniversary. The Iranian hostage crisis. He may not have been around when this was going down. I was a little kid, but vaguely remember this and specifically our attempt to rescue the fifty hostages taken by the Islamic militants in Tehran back in nineteen seventy nine that stretched into nineteen eighty and impacted the nineteen eighty presidential campaign. And Ben McIntyre's here writes about this in the siege and obviously some parallels here to what is transpiring our hass transferred, i should say, in Israel with Amas and hostage is there.
Speaker 2: Ben, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 7: Good morning, Thank you very much, great to be honest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the backstory here history.
Speaker 3: You know, if we think radical Islam, Islam is something new, I mean we really saw this in the late nineteen seven mind to Night, late nineteen seventies, culminating with the taking of fifty Americans, including a Cincinnatian, held hostage at our embassy in Iran. And it went on forever. And this is really what sunk Jimmy Carter in his quest for a second Hearin, the economy was banned, a lot of the things he's worried about. Peace in the Middle East and all this. But to me that you know, watching the news, and that was when you had three channels. Maybe you watch the news and it would be a steady drumbeat in the account of Okay, it's one hundred days, it's two hundred days, and it kept going on and on and on. That were really in the eyes of America, made him look even weaker than he already was, and ultimately ushered in Ronald.
Speaker 7: Reagan, that is right.
Speaker 11: And simultaneously, six days after the failed attempt to rescue the American hostages in Tehran, Operation the Eagle Claw, which ended, as you say, in disaster, it was a calamity, six days later, six Iranian Arabs attacked the Iranian embassy in London. There's an almost direct parallel going on here. One of the reasons why they decided to attack the Iranian embassy was because it was representative of the Iranian regime. These were militant Arabs who were opposed to the Ayatollah and the new fundamentalists in Tehran, and they selected the Iranian embassy in London as the best thing to attack, and it set off an astonishing kind of parallel hostage situation here. Because inside that building were twenty six people, some of them British citizens in fact, which the gunmen were not expecting.
Speaker 4: Most of them.
Speaker 11: Were employees of the Iranian embassy and representatives of the Eyeoler's regime, and it became a huge parallel problem for the international community.
Speaker 3: The American side of this thing is I think we didn't pay as much attention to that as we did the Operation Eagle Claw. I think, as was called when the helicopter crash killed eight servicemen in an attempt to rescue the hostages. Revera few of the hostages from from Tehran, and it's not because of the Shah of Iran. So the Shah was basically our guy in Tehran. We can know he certainly had a lot of influence in the way we backed his regime, and all of a sudden he had to escape came to the United States. I think subsequently that of cancer, if I'm not mistaken. But the end result, there was a lot of this wake in this this power vacuum in Iran and Tehran that led to the hostage has been taken.
Speaker 11: That is, that is correct, And of course in nineteen eighty it was still incredibly unstable in Iran. You know, the regime had not fully established itself, and it had also awoken lots of expectations among people who had supported the revolution, including the Horab minority in the southwest, who were keen for more political rights, who wanted political representation, that is the oil rich part of Iran, that's the southwest and Kusev done. And what happened was exactly the reverse that instead of providing the Arabs.
Speaker 1: With more rights and more more more.
Speaker 11: Opportun communities in the wake of the Fulham, the Shah, actually the Iotola clamped down brutally on those Arabs, creating a major problem because what that resulted in was a very militant guerrilla movement on the part of the Arabs in Iran, backed by Saddam Hussein. That is the point of this element of the story is that Saddam Hussein and his then terrorist advisor A mangled Abu ni Dahal were training Arabs in and around Baghdad to attack Iran, to attack different Iranian targets, oil fields, police stations, and in this case, the Iranian embassy in London.
Speaker 7: So what you have taking place in London at.
Speaker 11: The same time as the hostage crisis is taking place in Tehran is really the first battle of the looming Iran Iraq War, because that is coming in a few months after this, Iran and Iraq go to war. More than a million people die in that appalling eight year conflict.
Speaker 7: But the first element of that, and that conflict of.
Speaker 11: Course would have huge effects, huge ramifications going down to going down the years, but that all started that that moment begins in this conflict in London.
Speaker 7: So the Sixth Day Siege.
Speaker 11: This extraordinary sort of standoff that takes place in London, is really a battle, sort of proxy battle between the Iran and Iraq.
Speaker 1: The Iran Iraq war, of.
Speaker 11: Course, destabilizes the whole of the Middle East, and from there you get to.
Speaker 4: The Gulf Wars, you get to.
Speaker 11: The Afghan situation, the invasion of Afghanistan, and eventually you get.
Speaker 4: To nine to eleven.
Speaker 11: So this in a way is one of the founding moments, along with the hostage crisis in Tehran. For America, this is a key moment. The other thing to know about the Iranian embassy crisis here in London was that it was being closely watched by America because there was.
Speaker 7: A hope at the time that if it could.
Speaker 11: Be resolved peacefully, if somehow the Iranians inside could be released, it would please Tehran and that could then be used as a leave to try to persuade Iran to release the American hostages. So throughout this six day siege, Washington was on the line to Margaret Thatcher saying, you know, get this sorted out, Please, get this done bloodlessly. Do it in a way that will, you know, curry favor with the Iranian regime, and then we may be able to use it as a way to.
Speaker 4: Get our people out.
Speaker 11: Needless to say, that didn't work. The siege ended with an extraordinary assault by the sas by British special forces. It was highly successful. In contrast to it operating Eagle Claw, which you've just mentioned, this was an astonishing success. They managed to save all but two of the hostages and indeed killed all but one of the gunment.
Speaker 4: It was an amazing achievement.
Speaker 11: The hope that this would somehow bring Tehran into a better relationship with both Britain and America was not to be. That hardline regime remained just as hardline as it was before, if not harder.
Speaker 3: Connect the dots and Ben mcintyren the sea. How did we get to today where you have another humanitarian crisis. You have more hostages, this time those people from Gaza in the Middle East, and we have Palestinians and Israel nothing new there are How close are those two related? And it seems like, I think for the casual observer, certainly the battle between Jews in Arabs and Palestinians in this case has been gone on much much longer than what we're talking about here with the anniversary of the Iranian hostage crisis.
Speaker 1: Out of these all connect, yes.
Speaker 7: Well they do connect.
Speaker 11: I mean, you know, the battle inside the Iranian embassy in London during the siege was really between rival ideologies, people who believed they had right on their side and were prepared to do anything that they had to do, including killing, including mass killing, in order to achieve their political aims. It was non religious conflict.
Speaker 4: The one in London.
Speaker 11: It was much more to do with rights and territory and representation, as you can argue is the case in Gaza.
Speaker 4: What it seems to.
Speaker 11: Me this story is about really is about radicalization. The sixth gunmen who went into attack the embassy.
Speaker 7: Here had all suffered at.
Speaker 11: The hands of Iran's security service. They had had family members killed, tortured, executed. Now that doesn't justify what they what they did is still these were men of violence who were prepared to kill and be killed in what they were doing. But they had been brutalized by a kind of tit for tack violence, which is what we're seeing today. In a way in Gaza, the quickest way to make a man into a killer is to kill the thing that he loves. And you know, indiscriminate bombing, you know, attacking kibbutzies. These are acts of sort of indiscriminate violence that create They don't create.
Speaker 7: The effect that they that they are intended to create.
Speaker 11: They simply create more violence. So although this story of the of the Iranian embassy siege in London that the sas hostage drama, it is still a story of our times. We still have hostages being taken in the name of politics, in the name of sort of sexcittarian views, which is exactly what was happening in London.
Speaker 3: And sadly, Ben if you look prior to nineteen eighty and you'll see photographs of people in Tehran in the nineteen seventies and sixties.
Speaker 2: It looks very western.
Speaker 3: The women are addressed in Western clothes, they're in Burker's lists of the music go on a Western university.
Speaker 2: Will we ever see in our lifetime the pendulum swing back that way?
Speaker 4: Hopefully? Probably? Who knows?
Speaker 11: I mean in order, But you're actually right, of course, Scott. You know that it was a very westernized regime.
Speaker 4: In Iran under the Shah.
Speaker 11: But of course that had happened very quickly too. It had gone from being a much more traditional, much more religious state. He had sort of force marched it with Western help, into the Western world. The non wearing of hit jabs and so on in Iran was all comparatively news. So these are very sudden changes. One shouldn't imagine that Iran had had a slow evolution into a westernized Middle Eastern country. It hadn't. It had been frog marched into that by the shar who was determined to create that high speed a modern nation, and he did so with extreme brutality. I mean, we now know of some of the horrors perpetrated by his security service during the Shah's regime.
Speaker 7: So again you have that.
Speaker 11: Story of sudden change coupled with an absolute sort of determination to impose your views.
Speaker 4: On other people.
Speaker 11: That is an old, old story and alas it's been the story in Iran for centuries. I mean, Western involvement in Iran is not a happy story.
Speaker 7: The Anglo American oil companies.
Speaker 11: Who manipulated Iran and tried to make huge amounts of profits out of there, that is also part of this story. The West is not blameless in this story.
Speaker 4: It's not as if the.
Speaker 11: Shara was some charming, polite, demo traffic elected figure.
Speaker 4: He was not. He was a ruthless autocrat.
Speaker 11: And he was backed by Britain and America. And part of that autocracy is what sparked the revolution. It didn't come from nowhere.
Speaker 3: Yeah, British petroleum comes to man, right BP, which we have here obviously British year where you are in trying to keep oil as low as we'll go and essentially milking that out and people realized, hey, wait a minute, we in it lant to the oil crisis, the oil embargo, and it doesn't sound like much has change. We're still fighting this battle.
Speaker 4: I think that's exactly right.
Speaker 11: And you know, in nineteen fifty three, the democratically elected government of Iran was toppled in a coup because they appeared to be about to nationalize the oil industry.
Speaker 4: Well, who was behind that coup? It was the.
Speaker 11: CIA and MI six it was it was British and American intelligence created a coup against the democratically elected government. That shows you just how volatile and how much X theory, a sort of influence has has had to play in the Iranian story. And it goes back, it goes and memories.
Speaker 4: In Iran are very very long.
Speaker 11: I mean again, in no way am I defending the appalling theocratic regime in Tehran today, which has become more and more oppressive as time has gone on. But one has to see that as you have to see all these stories in historical context. These things don't happen out of nowhere.
Speaker 3: Well you kind of said it yourself. Oppression leads to revolution. And as oppressed as people are there, do we see a revolution brewing where people are going to want to take back their country or at least their autocracy. It's been going on for almost fifty years. I think that is right.
Speaker 2: Do we see an end inside?
Speaker 1: Because it's all cyclical, it all comes back.
Speaker 4: It does.
Speaker 11: An oppression is to revolution, and revolution almost inevitably leads to greater repression, so you have a kind of vicious cycle that eventually explodes out of the country. That is, you know, the American hostage crisis was very different in the ways from the British embassy crisis, because of course that was those were captives inside an entire country. They were really being held hostage by the Iranian state. This was both similar but at the same time different because these were terrorists, gunmen who had come to this country with the avowed intention of staging sort of terrorists spectacular with Iraqi backing. But within days of it happening, groups of demonstrators were gathering on the streets of London. You had the Iranian demonstrators who were backing the Ayatollah who believed that.
Speaker 7: This must be a CIA backed assault on.
Speaker 11: The Iranian embassy. The CIA was immediately blamed by the Iranian government for causing it. Of course they had actually nothing to do with it. It was all being done by Saddam Hustine. Then you had Americans in London.
Speaker 7: Demonstrating because they believed.
Speaker 11: That somehow this was linked that the maybe Americans inside that embassy who were being held hostage. Again, there were other people who believed that actually this must be the Iranians themselves launching an attack against their own embassy.
Speaker 1: And finally you have.
Speaker 11: The traditional British football litigants. He turned up to toward the others and ended up in a sort of punch up with everybody else. So you've got a very complicated situation that is is kind of spooning out from a central conflict.
Speaker 3: All right, more on this, Ben McIntyre, The siege and the anniversary of the Iranian hostage crisis is here.
Speaker 4: Thanks for the time, Great jer Scott, thanks for having me on.
Speaker 3: Thanks again today not only election day, but also the anniversary of the Iranian hostage crisis in nineteen seventy nine, and also the passing of Vice President Dick Cheney, who in nineteen seventy nine was the freshman representative from the Great State of Wyoming. He had worked in the Ford White House, but later under Ronald Reagan, with Iran contra brewing in the mid nineteen eighties, a different Iran related scandal than we're talking about here, A problem, I guess I should say. He was in the House Select Committee that investigated that and defended the Reagan administration and then, of course years later becoming Vice President of United States, Dick Cheney passing away overnight.
Speaker 2: It's a Scott Sloan show.
Speaker 3: This is a home of the best Bengals covered seven hundred WW Cincinnati.
Speaker 1: Time to talk about money, how to make it, how to keep it, and how to keep others off your stack. This is all worth Advice with Andy Schaeffer Andrew.
Speaker 2: Good morning, you have life.
Speaker 6: Everything's good, Scott, how are you today?
Speaker 2: Everything is fine, Everything is fine.
Speaker 3: But you're gonna tell me today with the markets and such which is going on here on this election day. Let's jump right in at the top interest rates cut by the Fed. That's was predicted by you. No big surprise right there, and that is any good news.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: I guess though that you could look at this and say that the chair Jerom Powell, the Fed really did a little unexpected thing or what wasn't expected? How aggressive it was? Maybe another cut's coming up? Can you lay it out for us?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 12: So I think you need to remember that markets are predictive indicators of how investors feel about the economy.
Speaker 6: Looking out, let's say, six months to a year.
Speaker 12: So we all knew or thought we knew that there would be a cut, you know, this past week, and that's exactly what happened. And so the markets really haven't responded favorably one way or the other. And I think that, you know, what investors are really looking for is what we call guidance, and guidance is what the FED chair will say in the press conference after the decision is made. And he kind of threw a little bit of water on our optimism a little bit. And really what he said was is said, Okay, you know, I know that you're all thinking that there's going to be another cut December. He said, basically, hold your horses. We're not there yet. There has been some descent within the FED committee members about what direction we should go moving forward. He said, essentially, it's not a foregone conclusion. He said, we're far from that decision, even though that we believe that it's probably still going to happen in December. That really kind of put a damper on the optimism of investors in general.
Speaker 3: Okay, and then just laying this out there too, is that we're just going to keep going till we get a one point. You know, I'm talking to my wife about this. In the real estate markets, Uh, people are like, wow, I'm just gonna wait till goes back down the three percent.
Speaker 1: We're not gonna see those rates again.
Speaker 12: Uh, probably not. But he also said further that you know, if we don't cut in December, we're still probably gonna see cuts next year. That can amount to maybe one quarter percent cut, maybe three quarter percent cuts.
Speaker 6: We just don't know.
Speaker 12: And you know what the Fed is balancing right now is you know, what is inflation gonna do. If inflation remains pretty sticky, they're gonna hold off. They're gonna wait to see what happens. If the labor market starts to waiver a little bit more and we see more cracks in the labor market, maybe they become more aggressive. But what he basically, you know, his message was basically, we need to wait and see, you know, don't get your hopes up too quickly.
Speaker 2: All right, wait and see pump there.
Speaker 3: Well, we'll see what December bus, right, and it's gonna be hear in a few short weeks anyway, So we're going to know sooner rather than later.
Speaker 1: So would you say, like fifty to fifty.
Speaker 6: Yeah, No, I think.
Speaker 12: It's probably more two thirds likely that we do see it cut in December. Now, the Fed doesn't want to you know, really reveal their hand, but I think it's more likely than not.
Speaker 3: All Right, we saw the markets jump over the last few days. For sure, Today can outlier, but it's because Trump and g met in South Korea and agreed on I guess tariff terms.
Speaker 2: But how did the markets react to that?
Speaker 3: Because we've heard that before, only to hear while more tariffs being threatened, and we've ignored the the negatives where the threat is going to be more tariffs. Do we also ignore the fact that China and the United States might have a deal here.
Speaker 6: I think there's two components to it.
Speaker 12: I think that investors like the fact that there's open dialogue between President Trump and President g They met in South Korea and agreed on several terms. Basically, they're hoping to de escalate the tension between you know, two economic superpowers. However, it's still more of kicking the can down the road, you know. It's it's one of those, you know, one of those deals like Ronald Reagan said, you know, verify, you know trust, but verify China is going to purchase large amounts of US soybeans in the next three years.
Speaker 2: Farmers.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's gonna be good for farmers.
Speaker 12: But here, here's the deal about China, Scott, is that we've made deals with them before, but they haven't always followed through on those deals. And so we basically have said we're gonna we're gonna make these deals. We're gonna give it a year and see and make sure that we have plans in place to verify these types of things, you know, And we're also gonna pause restrictions. I'm sorry, China's gonna pause restrictions on rare earth exports over the next year. And that's important because those rare earth minerals are critical for not only components that we use with electronics and it, but also for our military. Trump agreed to scale back the fentanyl related terrorists from twenty percent to ten percent, and that basically results in an average of forty seven percent tariff on Chinese goods.
Speaker 6: So, you know, all of these things on paper sound good.
Speaker 12: Investors like the fact that, hey, we're coming to the table with China, but it still really remains to be seen whether these tears remain in place, whether China is acting in good faith with these UH lifted restrictions and continue to progress on deals between the world's biggest superpowers.
Speaker 3: Andy Schaefer, we're also battling Venezuela over allegedly allegedly it is fentanyl coming across the Bard, and all the drug surveys and reports and everything say that is simply not not at all true. You mentioned rare with minerals, and I know that Venezuela has a significant deposit of those. Could that be what's going on here?
Speaker 12: Well, there's there's a couple of things with Venezuela, UH Venezuela. Essentially, we don't have a large trading or relationship with Venezuela. So when you look at tariff conversations, in tariff talks, you know, going back to you know, the American Revolution, there were basically two reasons that we implemented terrafs. Alexander Hamilton wanted to get you know, a significant amount more revenue, you know, that's one of the benefits of terras The other reason is that you want to bring more control back to your own industry and control you know, the production of goods. Well, Donald Trump is using it in another way, and one of the ways that he's using it is from a political sense, even though that we don't have a big trading relationship with Venezuela. Venezuela is supplying oil, rare earth minerals to a lot of, you know, what we perceive as adversaries of the United States, and so what you can do with with Venezuela then is put a lot of restrictions on them to say, hey, don't start mining your rare minerals and sending them to a lot of our adversaries, you know, because we will be able to put restrictions and punish you significantly with a lot of our economic tools that we have in our pocket. And so I think it's more of a political play where we're trying to squeeze China, Russia and those types of countries and hurt Venezuela in the process because they are helping out a lot of our rivals.
Speaker 3: Obviously, the oil is a big one, they're the largest reserves in the world in Venezuela. Gold is another one as well. But the problem is it's such a battered and beliegued country that we don't know We just assume they've got a lot of rare earth minerals because China's in there and they put tons of money into the mines in Venezuela. And I think maybe you know, he Ventanyl plays really well too. I think Trump's base for sure. But the reality is is little or no fentanyl. It's mainly you know, coming from Mexico and other countries have other South American countries, not Venezuela. There's a whole different dynamic there. But the pretext is, hey, you know what they're they're traveler blowing the boats up. Maybe we start launches inside of Venezuela. We want to change the regime there. It's more favorable for the United States, and now maybe we can overthrow things and turn the tide in our favor. That's I think the I think that's the real story that what's going on in Venezuela.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and I think there's you know, to a large degree, you're right there.
Speaker 12: You know the other thing about rare earth minerals, petroleum, oil and you know, energy.
Speaker 6: And things like that.
Speaker 12: The United States has a large reserves. The problem is is not having the access to those types of minerals and oil and things like that. The problem is is that we don't have the capability of the refinement that countries like China has, and so China is looking at, hey, what does our nation look like twenty five fifty years down the road. And so everybody right now is jocking for position to be able to have leverage not only just today and weeks ahead and over the next couple of years, but really looking out into the future for our next generations. And that's where we're really starting to try to position ourselves, not today, not tomorrow, but looking into the future now.
Speaker 3: Right it's the Geopolitical Roundtable, Andy Schaeffer from all We're financial here on seven hundred WW. This is some deep dive kind of stuff. This is like you know, NPR kind of this is high level stuff. We got go out of our brother.
Speaker 12: Well, I think, you know, you have to plan ahead, you have to understand and when you know, in my industry, when you're talking about investing, you have to understand what makes sense from making a smart investment, and what does our country look like not only tomorrow, the next day or the day after that, but what makes sense moving forward and what direction is our errow moving Not only you know you know, from a labor market standpoint, but also what sectors look more promising, and that's really important to make good decisions within my client's portfolio and for investors in general.
Speaker 3: All Right, the threat of AI is all looming. All the news this week is not all of it, but it feels like everything is filtered the context of AI. This changing dynamic, you know, the it's the next industrial revolution that's going on right near. People are losing their jobs and we're seeing you know, entry level, white collar jobs disappear as a result of this. And the idea that's going to take all jobs away, I think is kind of silly because if you go back to any technological revolution, it's always the threat of, oh my god, this is going to destroy all these jobs. You know, back in the day when you had typewriters or exactly type is now you know, we have AI and type hast took away all the people doing calligraphy and writing things by hand. So we just morph into different.
Speaker 12: Jobs, right, Yeah, I remember typing papers and junior high on a typewriter, and you know, and and and that didn't eliminate a lot of jobs when we moved into computer and it did in the late nineties when we developed the Internet, there was a lot of fear there and I think right now people just don't know really what to make of AI. And I think that AI is here to stay. It is a major revolution. If businesses are not looking into adding AI into to become a major component of their business, they will probably falter and maybe dissipate and an underperform. And I think that I think investors understand that that is the future. I use AI within my job. My wife the other night was looking to add a mantle over our fireplace. Well, she could type in something on AI and it builds this big picture of all these different types of aesthetics to that picture and helps you shop for those types of proper So AI is here to stay.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 12: There is overvaluation there, and what I mean by that is the price for stocks that are invested in AI are elevated versus what their earnings are today. And the bed is is that these companies are going to continue to generate revenue trillions of dollars over the next five years. And so I'm willing to pay this elevated price today for the opportunity for the prospect that these companies will continue to perform in the future, and I think that's a good bet. Now, if you ever see any types of earnings reports that falter a little bit versus the estimates, you're going to see a little bit of a pullback. And that's kind of what we've seen over the last couple of days, is that people are getting a little bit tired of these elevated prices and are almost looking for a reason to lock in those gains. But I do think you guys here to stay. I do still think it's a good investment, and I think that you need to have it as a piece.
Speaker 6: Of your portfolio.
Speaker 2: And certainly it's not going anywhere. It's here.
Speaker 3: But the idea that this is going to somehow destroy it. It's probably gonna take some jobs away, but they'll create jobs and other sectors, we don't know. That's the way it's always been. Any technology comes along and the car comes along, Oh my god, the horse. What are we going to do with the horseshoeers and the guys who farm hay? And you know, again, everybody just finds new jobs. That's that's kind of the way it is. You do wind to pit it and do something else, let's take a look at the week ahead. Here we are into the I don't know, the third year of the government shutdown. I've lost track of this whole thing. We're not getting any official economic data out as all of that, but again, the markets will figure it out. So they're going to come up with some foodgazy reports here.
Speaker 6: Right, Yeah, I think I think so.
Speaker 12: And you know, it is a challenge to you know, to really get an understanding where we are from an economic point of view. You know, there's really a lack of economic releases due to the shutdown, but there are some there is some private data updates. We are going to get the ISM Manufacturing and Services Survey and the ice CM is basically the Institute for Supply Management and what they do is basically pull a lot of supply managers of different industries to find out whether they feel like you're going to increase your purchases of supply or you're going to reduce your your purchases of supply. And that gives us an idea of, you know, the optimism or lack thereof, of how these supply managers feel about the economy.
Speaker 6: So that will be interesting.
Speaker 12: To see, you know, we'll also see what the jobs reports will do. ADP will provide some data of employer payrolls. Again, ADP is a private sector business, so we can get some data. We're just not giving it getting it from a government's perspective.
Speaker 3: Okay, And we've got big companies that are going to report profits, and we'll have a bigger picture too. We'll see how how those influenced the markets coming up. We're all have a pretty good idea if these big large cap companies are the big ones here, like you know, Marathon and McDonald's, it doesn't get bigger than that. They report their earnings, we'll find out.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, you know, right now it's earning season.
Speaker 12: You know, we want to make sure that we see how companies are going to continue to perform, you know, what their prospects are. We get guidance from them as well. You know, a lot of times you'll get on conference calls with some of the executives and they'll say, here's you know, here's what we think we look like over the next six months to a year. So that guidance is going to get them be important. We're going to get one hundred and twenty eight large cap companies that are going to report profits.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 12: You mentioned Marathon mcdonnalds Humana as well, so that will be interesting. And again we're gonna get a lot of FED speeches as we always do, so it'll be interesting to see what the FED has to say this week about the lack of data and what their guidance is moving forward as well.
Speaker 3: All Right, Andy Schaeffer, all Worth Financial. The show is simply money weeknights at six on fifty five KRC. He jumps in every Tuesday morning, talk about stuff that's happening and influencing your wallet, including geopolitics for that matter. Fascinating, fascinating. I feel like we should be smoking cigars, sitting in a room somewhere and scotch and plotting the overthrow of Maduro. All right, gotta go, Andy, appreciate it, but.
Speaker 6: All right, thanks, all right, set it up. I'll see you soon.
Speaker 3: All Right, there you go, big scotch drinker, that Andy Shaeffer, big Scotch drinker. Willie is on the way on this election day, on this November fourth, Ohio pulls up until seven thirty. Don't forget to bring that ID if you're headed out to do that and tomorrow we'll pick up the pieces of the election. A new mayor possibly unlikely, but possibly, there's always a chance Corey Bowman putting up a fight, and the makeup of council is definitely threatened by the crime and the bad news it surrounds our lovely city. Hopefully we can get a little bit of new blood in there and maybe change this dynamic for the better. Here, optimism abounds of the Home of the Best Bengals coverage with Logan Wilson being traded to Dallas Cowboys for a seventh round pick. They're making moves. Anything is possible if the Bengals are making moves before the trade deadline. Slowly seven hundred Dotivty, Cincinnati