Speaker 1: W l W three eight Damn Carol.
Speaker 2: Jason Williams in for Eddie and the Rock and my partner today is dressed up like an Eskimo when he came in here.
Speaker 1: Jason Williams, how you doing.
Speaker 2: Brother, I'm good man. Fifty degrees different today than from you yesterday.
Speaker 1: I'm out there, I'm on the golf course.
Speaker 2: I've I've got you know, just like a like a regular golf shirt on seventy degrees. It was like a spring day. And then today I get up snows flying around, cars frozen shut.
Speaker 1: It was funny.
Speaker 3: And I pulled in the parking garage at the Bank's covering the Bengals game yesterday for the inquiry, Like, I walked through the garage. Then I walk outside of the garage and it was like literally like a little heat wave hit me and I'm like it is there like a fire around on a tailgate and I'm like no. It was like I was like, it's that warm and it's fantastic.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 1: That was That was a nice day yesterday. I did walk out today. I got home.
Speaker 3: Last night from the Bengals game to fire on my column, Like I walk up and my kids are like I'm hearing them talking and stuff that they got the windows.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 2: I had the windows open the house. I was watching the Bengals game, and uh, I opened one window in the front and one in the back. Had a little nice breeze flowing through the house. It was it was lovely.
Speaker 3: It was lovely. It was very delightful. I mean, we go from lovely to today's ugly. It's ugly, man, that's cold, windy, snow's blown around all the rest of question for you, Dan, go ahead real quick? Uh are you? How are you with cold weather? And I know, I know this is not a boring thing talking about the weather because I'm I've become a wimp about it. I'm now in the last few years, my parents moved down. They sold our farm out in southeast Ohio where I grew up a month before the Rona hit and twenty twenty and I'm like, when y'all move And my mom's like, your dad can't stand the cold weather? Now that's the guy who grew up here Like all that. I'm like, tough guy, blue collar, works in a power playing for thirty three years and I'm like, what, like, what you guys are?
Speaker 1: I knew.
Speaker 3: I mean this is before like before they decided. Like I was like, that's why you're moving there, And then it started to hit me, I don't know, maybe a couple of years ago, and I'm like, oh, now, like that is a real thing people really do, Like that is the number to one driver, like cause I'm like a whimp about it now.
Speaker 2: Man, I uh, I always think to myself. And usually happens late January February because that's when it's really nasty around here. Yes, and I saw said I'll be walking into a convenience store getting gas or something then out there and I'm thinking, man, Arizona sounds like a really good idea right now, you know, living there and not have to put up with.
Speaker 3: This kind of crap. Well that's why I know, are you right? And like you go out there? Speaking of Arizona, and yeah, I always try to, Like spring training, I go out for a week for the Enquirer, and I always try to go like early because I'm like the sooner I can get out there, the better because I'm tired. You're just exhausted of this, and fortunately I get to you know. It's one of the nice things about my job. But you get out there and it's like it's like it's summertime here.
Speaker 1: There. Yeah, that's it blows me away.
Speaker 2: I'm like, but when when I was in the service, I spent three years in Oakanowa, Japan, which is I think if you look at it on a longitudinal line, it's about the same longitude as as Florida, maybe a little bit north of there. And then I also lived in California for a while and sold you a thousand oaks. I was out in the high desert out you know where Victorville, California is.
Speaker 1: And it's not like Camp Pendleton area.
Speaker 2: Well, the the base I was that was called George Air Force Base, but it was it was your Air Force.
Speaker 1: Yeah it was.
Speaker 2: It was terrible. They shut that thing down and no longer exists really. But the thing is, being from Cincinnati, I started to miss the change of seasons because the seasons really don't change, and especially in that part of California, even when it was even when it was you know, even when it was in the winter time, it was still sunny and nice area. Yeah, but we're supposed to be talking to our buddy Mike Patralia and Trags, is we we got we got the.
Speaker 1: Bat signal lot for him right now, Yes, we do.
Speaker 2: So, Trags. If you're listening, call in man, Audi, we did we reach? Austin Elmore is running the big board in the seven hundred wl W command center. So, Austin Elmore, have you been able to get ahold of Trags? By the chance I have not.
Speaker 1: Texted?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, Audi. Since Austin is here, why don't we just break down the Bengals game with Austin Ellmore. I didn't know Austin was gonna I didn't know it was going to be here. Austin, are are you?
Speaker 1: Would you? Would you care to do that with us right now?
Speaker 4: I am.
Speaker 2: I am willing and able Austin Ellmore joining us now in Austin, you said something a little while ago. I was listening to you on fifteen thirty when I was driving in and you felt yesterday the same way I did about this Bengals game that happened yesterday. And I'm watching it and I'm thinking to myself, this just it. I mean, it looked like the pace of play was maybe a half a step slow. It didn't seem like the intensity was there. I mean, I know it's a regular season game. The Bengals should be trying to win every game they can, But it felt to me the atmosphere felt like a preseason game. And I'm thinking, and I heard you say that in fifteen thirty today and I was like, Man, I'm glad I'm not alone in this feeling. Austin felt the same way I did.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was just kind of strange because I think Arizona basically put a team out there of undrafted free agents and sixth and seventh round picks and guys who typically don't play, so it kind of was a preseason game. On their side of things, They've got so many guys hurt, so many guys injured, And meanwhile for the Bengals, they're kind of the opposite, like they're getting healthier, they're having this kind of resurgence offensively with all three of their gut, their big three healthy, and you just saw what it was supposed to look like for the Bengals. And I think the good part about it is, you know, in a preseason game, you're like, all right, get a couple series, get out of there, and let's stay healthy. The Bengals really just played up to their standard. They never at any point dipped down to the level of the Arizona Cardinals. We've seen teams do that in the past. They never did that. The Bengals just kind of kept their foot on their gas and even to the point where they started clowning them by putting Cody Ford at wide receiver.
Speaker 1: Like it was just it was a fun game.
Speaker 5: It was weird because you knew that Arizona really didn't have a chance and couldn't hang with you, Like Jamar Chase scored a touchdown on a guy who's been on the practice squad for like twelve of the seventeen weeks so far this season. So it's like it was just a weird vibe at pay Course Stadium.
Speaker 3: I'm glad you brought that up too, because Audio I thought, I certainly I felt like the preseason thing last week with the Dolphins who starting, you know, the seventh round pick Quinn you were was making his first start it and I think maybe even Trags mentioned that. But I was thinking the same thing about last week's game. And I'm not trying to take away from the Bengals, but it's a great point you make about the Bengals too. It's like they're they're kind of they're hitting their stride now, certainly offensively, and you know, it's still hard to tell defensively because these are, like you said, I mean, they're playing, you know, teams that are down to third string guys.
Speaker 1: But I was in the press box after the game yesterday.
Speaker 3: I was talking to one of the one of the guys who works for the Bengals and does some communication stuff for them, and he just said, you know, you look at today, You're like, it just makes you feel like, you know, what one of those games.
Speaker 1: Where you're like, what might have been? Did? Do you feel that?
Speaker 6: I didn't.
Speaker 3: I didn't really think of it that way, But I also look at things a little differently.
Speaker 1: Do you look at it that way? Audie? Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think the way that they played against the Dolphins and the way that they played yesterday makes you think, Man, if they had gotten one stop against the Chicago Bears, if they had gotten one stop against the New York Jets, it would be an entirely different season, And especially when you consider the rest of the AFC. Nobody's afraid of Baltimore, nobody's afraid of Pittsburgh. I don't think anybody's afraid of Buffalo. I'm not sure how real New England is. Kansas City's not in the picture this year. The Chargers are full of injuries, Like this would be a season where it's like, gosh, if they just had some semblance of a defense, they would be right there in the conversation as a legitimate AFC contender. And I think that's where a lot of Bengals fans stand right now, where like you're thrilled that you're seeing the best players play really well in their dominating games, and like, at the end of the day, that's what it's all about. But it's tough to swallow that it really doesn't mean anything, yeah, because of the shortcomings of earlier this season, and whether or not it doesn't matter who the opponent is, like, that's still the standard of play that you expect them to play at, and you're wondering where was this at against the Chicago Bears, against the New York Jets and other points throughout the season, And it's just it's a tough pill to swallow.
Speaker 2: I don't think I would feel any differently today than I do now had the Bengals lost that game yesterday, because of the meaningless aspect of all of it. But let me I want to read to you something that James Rapeen put out during the course of the game yesterday, and you're all going to know what play I'm talking about when I read this. Jordan Battle stops playing football, Geno Stone continues to be the NFL's worst tackling safety, and Barrett Carter lets Michael Wilson run into the end zone. Unacceptable from all all three guys. And that is a theme that has continued from day one of this team until now, and it is it is. I guess it's upsetting to me that this hasn't been addressed in the course of the season. And what do we have to go on that makes us think that this will be addressed in the course of the off season.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, I think there's been marginal, very minimal, slight intremental improvement to the tackling. Like it's not as atrocious as it was in the first two but there's just a little bit of it here and there where it's like, oh, yeah, that guy actually made a tackle. It hasn't really been there at all for Geno Stone, not just this year, but at any point in his Bengals career. He's one of the worst players who's ever played for this franchise, and you know it's difficult to see him do that again where you're basically just trying to knock him out of bounce. The NFL man dudes are fast and strong and they will put you on your back, and that's what happened. And Geno Stone missed on that Jordan Battle kind of gave up on the play. Barrett Carter had been shaken out of his shoes and was nowhere to be found. And you're right, like those little things that just it feels like there hasn't been enough improvement. And we talked a lot about, you know, the Bengals ownership in front office putting a lot into the final four games of the season and that determining their path in the offseason, and whether or not that's true.
Speaker 2: I think it has to work both ways.
Speaker 5: When the offense plays really good or when a player performs really well, okay, maybe that shapes your view of them in the offseason. But when players don't perform well or they don't go up to that standard, that should also have an effect. Whether it's against the Arizona Cardinals, the Miami Dolphins, or against the Baltimore Ravens and you know, the Denver Broncos and teams like that that you play earlier in the season. So I do hope that that's a two way street over these final three games of the year.
Speaker 3: You couldn't have said that any better, Oddie, because that that I mean, your spot on there. I mean that you just hope, you hope that even other blowing teams out that the bigger picture from the front office is viewed in this whole thing that plays. Like we just talked about that that the defense needs fixed. We saw last year was that year where you got you know, Joe Burrow playing like an MVP. You got Jamar Chase playing you know, triple crown and playing the way he always plays. Those guys are healthy. Obviously T was banged up last year, but then this year, for the most part of the concussions, you know, T was healthy and Burrow was hurt. Last year was the model Like if you couldn't have done that last year when those guys were all humming along, yeah, and you still miss the playoffs, that to me was the wake up call. All right, now you got another one.
Speaker 1: This year.
Speaker 3: Fix the defense. And I know you're limited in doing that because of so many resources over on the offensive side, but like my goodness, don't look at the window of just these last three or four games. Look at the big picture, please, front office, and fix the defense.
Speaker 5: I would say this. I mean, they did make significant changes. Hubbard gone Bell gone, Hilton gone Hendrickson. They decided to bring back and even though he didn't play very much this year, but they made I mean, those were dudes that played significant snaps for this defense last year and they were all gone, and they replaced him with younger guys, and they put all their chips into the basket of we're gonna get young players, We're gonna draft them, we're gonna develop them, we're gonna scapegoat lu Ana Rumo. He's going to be the reason that none of those guys worked out previously. So I admire the plan on paper, go young and cheap and develop on defense, and a lot of teams have been able to do that across the league. Philadelphia is a great example of that, but it just hasn't worked out. So I do it at least acknowledge. Okay, they tried something different. They didn't just keep running it back with the old guys. They put this influx of youth in it. But there are times that you're gonna see a young player make mistakes, and they did and it costs them. And then when you couple that with the Burrow injury, it it was lethal.
Speaker 2: All right, audit, you know we got to run. But very quickly. Do the Browns think they're good now? Because they beat Pittsburgh yesterday? The Browns have a super Bowl caliber defense. You could put the Browns defense with the Bengals offense. Yeah, let's go right there. They would win the Super Bowl. The Browns are legit.
Speaker 5: Miles Garrett is going to go try to break that record against Joe Burrow on Sunday. But I think they would love nothing more than to come into Cincinnati and uh, your guy should or Sanders find a way to win.
Speaker 1: My guy, let's go Saners. This should be a little better of a game.
Speaker 2: I think, Yeah, let's get one more win than worry about the draft and all that other stuff after that. Austin, thank you very much. Time to get a little traffic and weather together. On seven hundred.
Speaker 7: From the UC Health Traffic Center. From Non Invasive to surgical treatments. The uc Health Back Neck and Spine Center offers every option to improve quality of life with convenient locations across Greater Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky. Learn more at u S health dot com. A few of our earlier problems have cleared out, including a crash on southbound seventy five at Fort Washington Way in police activities southbound seventy one seventy five that's at two seventy five and Erlinger now cleared away from the right shoulder. However, on southbound seventy five, a little bit of stop and go traffic between the Western Hills Viaduct and Fort Washington WYCI in a three minute delayed there and no delays through Northern Kentucky on seventy one seventy five either direction between Erlanger in downtown. I'm at Eazalek on news radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: Now the nine first weather forecast. The wind advisory in effect for Cincinnati Dayton, Columbus set to come to an end at six tonight, Otherwise mostly cloudy. Tonight continued windy, the overnight low nineteen mostly sunny but not warm. Tomorrow high of only twenty eight mostly cloudy. The overnight low twenty five Tuesday and Wednesday, and Wednesday is New Year's e it'll be mostly cloudy and a high of thirty five. It is a brisk twenty five at seven hundred WLW. This report is Sponsoredvice super Sure.
Speaker 1: Do you own a small business?
Speaker 2: Soon?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 2: Back on the Big one, seven hundred w LW three thirty nine. Dan Carrol Jason Williams in for Eddie and the Rock. And I was sitting here looking at my broadcast partner and do you need a minute?
Speaker 1: What do you know?
Speaker 2: Look? Look how tangled up those headsets? Are they tangled? I mean that wire is it looks like a spider web hanging off the side of the ear.
Speaker 3: Not just the shovels, the shoveled mess. Yeah, it's the weather man. When I was a kid, we had we had. This was before cell phones, right, everybody had a landline, right, and so we had. We thought it was really cool.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: My folks bought one of those those really long cords you'll go between the phone on the wall and the handset, yep, So you could take it into the other room. You could sit and watch TV and the cord stretches like that, or you get you could go in the other room and I have a private conversation. Yeah, but after a certain period of time that cord gets all twisted up and and so I would always take it upon myself to hold it up and let it spin.
Speaker 8: It on.
Speaker 2: God, I couldn't stand that thing being tangled up and twisted. And that's what your headset looks like, it does, the wire coming off that head's.
Speaker 3: It's nice that you did that for your family, so that you so that you could have nice private conversations.
Speaker 2: You could go in uh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, things bother me, like like you go in the other room and hide around the corner.
Speaker 1: And hate Hey, sweetie, are we were getting together for.
Speaker 2: The movie to you know, like when people walk out of room, they leave the light on. I can't stand that.
Speaker 1: My wife's the worst. I hate Oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: You know, my wife in the morning turns every light in the house on.
Speaker 2: Why why?
Speaker 3: And then she also the middle of the day. We got all these lights, a lot of exactly I turn them off all the time. You leave the room, turn it off. And you know, now you have those led balls. They used barely any electricity at all, but still that's what I said, Like, that's what you tell like, oh, these don't cost anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean my parents were kids. My parents had parents that lived during the Great Depression, So so that sort of way of thinking was you don't waste anything, right, and a lot of that was passed on to me. You know, it continued through them because that they was ingrained into them that you don't waste anything, right, and so a lot of that was passed on to me. And I think that, you know, the current generations out there don't feel as strongly about that because we live in a world of life.
Speaker 3: Don't waste food, don't waste electricity. Yep, all right, I'm glad you got your heads. Don't waste water.
Speaker 2: One of the stories we talked about last week was this young lady who was a Jets super fan. Yeah yeah, and her name is Ashley Costiano Gervasi, thirty three years old. She was discovered by the Jets at a tailgate to uh To and and they recruited her to be part of a contest where they would be able to kick a field goal at the halftime. This was of yesterday's game, and so she went through there. There was a lengthy process, and she went through the entire process all that there were several eliminations along the way, and so it got down to four fans who had an opportunity to kick this field goal yesterday, yes and so on the eve of this game, the Jets, and I forget who they played, it does, I think they played New England.
Speaker 1: They got crushed.
Speaker 2: The Jets told her, they said, well, since you coach a high school soccer team, we can't let you do this kick. And so you and I were sort of outraged about that and that the Jets would do something.
Speaker 1: So sort of we were very outraged. It was, Yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: It was a terrible pr move, I think, especially for that So imagine, I mean we talked about it here, but imagine what a story like that does in New York City.
Speaker 1: That's tailor made for the New York Post.
Speaker 2: So the Jets, to their credit, reconsidered and they allowed this young lady to take the field good during halftime of yesterday's game. So it turns out in order to win one hundred thousand dollars, you had to complete two kicks. One was thirty yards the other was forty yards. You make them both. You win thee hundred grand. Who I thought it was a twenty five yarder? Was it a twenty five yard? I think?
Speaker 9: Was it?
Speaker 1: Maybe I missed? I'm reading it right here.
Speaker 2: She booted her kick from thirty yards and it was right online good. It came up just short. Oh, So she didn't get the opportunity to go to the forty yard kick, and you know, she had made that, she would have done the one grand.
Speaker 1: And did anyone win it?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I don't think so. I think they all missed. But in any case, how hard was that? And we talked about that just because you mean, look, she's been practicing, she's been nailing them on a regular basis from twenty twenty five yards doesn't mean you're gonna make it when you know, when the pressure's on.
Speaker 3: And this is a gal too for that report we saw last week. She she had the story of the New York Post had is pictures of her with her dad going and her dad.
Speaker 1: Has passed away.
Speaker 3: Jets diehard jet like when she was a little girl going to games with him. Pictures from the stadium and they said something about how they've kept his season tickets, and then they bought two more behind right behind him for dropped three grand this year on those in addition to the ones they already had. So this is a diehard fan who's hung in there with a really bad franchise.
Speaker 2: Yeah, apparently a lot of Jets fans that the New York Post went. When this story came out initially and it appeared on page six of The New York Post, a very famous part of the New York Post, the headline was kick in the gut.
Speaker 1: You gotta I mean, look, you gotta love that.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: I've always do. They got they got people on staff who are paid just right headlines. Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, that's.
Speaker 3: I am going to assume that they probably, you know, most of the newspaper industry don't have like copy editors anymore, that that that career has gone by the wayside, or copy desks as they call them. But I would assume the New York Post probably still has a few folks dedicated to just writing headlines. Maybe I don't know, maybe not, But like when I read their headlines, I'm like, oh, man, that that's a that's a skill in and of itself. And I try to write my own headlines sometimes I'm like, this is that's hard. It's a hard It's hard to write a good headline.
Speaker 9: Yea.
Speaker 2: I mean you got to get something that grabs people in in in five or six words, right, that's a skill.
Speaker 3: You could write the greatest story in the world, big investigation you did, you know, you spent a month or whatever on it. You talk to thirty people and got great stuff. But if the headline didn't any good and no one's going to read it.
Speaker 2: Well, it's like when Brian comes does the news here in the morning. He's got a hook for every story. Brian really good and there's there's no one that does it better than that.
Speaker 9: Man.
Speaker 3: He's such a good Yeah, he really is. And he's been doing it for a long while. How long has he been doing it?
Speaker 2: A long time? A very long Was he here when you were on the news? He was here when I was here, he was here. He was in the newsroom working in the newsroom back when I was an intern. That was a long time ago. That was back in the late eighties. That was a long time.
Speaker 1: A long time. Ronald Reagan was still the president. Well, look at Brian comes.
Speaker 2: He still looks very youthful, does a great job, hasn't slowed down, hasn't lost uh, hasn't lost any uh any bite off his curveball, you know, and any velocity off the old fastball.
Speaker 3: And God loved him with all the all the remember in this industry to have that consistent news voice every morning on this on this station.
Speaker 1: He's fantastic. That's that's awesome.
Speaker 2: He's great. But there's a there's another and one of the other things that we talked about and by if you want to call in five one, three, seven, four, nine seven.
Speaker 3: I love talking about local uh what like we can I'll talk about it all day. I'll talk with you about it off the air. But I talked with Eddie too, because Eddie, you know, he's married to Deb. We worked for Channel nine all those years, and Eddie knows all the Channel nine local TV people and I always tell him in it, I'll ask him about some of this former like TV folks, the deb states, and and then I was like, you know, Eddie, I like, you know, I love me a good local news, local local local media story.
Speaker 1: He's like, oh, I do too, Bud.
Speaker 2: I was a person about doing a you know, a call in segment and having people call in and ask about any any of the TV personalities they see, because there was a time when I knew probably ninety percent of Yeah. Uh, these days though not so much. There's been a lot of turnover in the last three or four years, and so there's a lot of reporters on five, nine, twelve, nineteen that I have never met before. But there's still you know, a good handful of you still and worked with before and know a little bit.
Speaker 1: So you still have uh, you know, just a little dirt on something.
Speaker 3: But I wouldn't I mean, in saying all that, Dan, you still have kind of those go to folks who have withstood the turnover and turmoil of local media. The Sheila Grays, the Tanyo Rourks. Yeah, we'll see I mean, those consistent voice Christian probably you know that.
Speaker 2: There are some people that come to this town and they maybe they didn't.
Speaker 1: Get Brian Hamrick. I saw he did a report Bobbers.
Speaker 2: I'll get Channel twelve. Have you ever met him in person? He's fantastic, I mean, unbelievable. She I think I did it. It is impossible not to like it. One time went Madam. One time we did the October Fest media games together. It's awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but.
Speaker 3: And I forgot what I was gonna say. We were talking about all the consistent Oh yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: There are some people who who came to Cincinnati, like John Matdery, who's Who's on you know every Friday, Don't waste your money. I love working with him a Channel nine. Just always every time we had a conversation, we always wound up laughing about something. Just's just fantastic. And so there are some people who uh maybe not got there starting this town, but came here and decided that this is a great place to work, a great place to live, and they stay here.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: I mean there are have been a handful of others and lots of others who came to Cincinnati looking at it as nothing more than a stepping stone. And trust me, I've seen a lot of television local television news and in a lot bigger cities Chicago, I mean, you know, Los Angeles, New York, and I would say the local broadcasters in New York have a lot more polish on their act than we do here. But the broadcaster, the reporters buy and large the news anchors and reporters television wise, that we have here. They do a great job of presenting the news in this market, a lot, a lot better than even a lot bigger markets around the country.
Speaker 1: Fortunate in that way.
Speaker 4: I think.
Speaker 3: Now I've always thought you got pretty high standards here. Okay, yeah, I'll take care. I mean, you're you're the TV guy. I'm not a TV guy, but I can still. I remember the first time I did TV and I was like, do you remember that? Do you remember that show on ESPN to the morning show called Cold Pizza?
Speaker 1: Do you remember that? Yes? I do. Uh.
Speaker 3: They I was covering the Twins for the Saint Paul paper back in whatever two thousand and five six and some whatever. The Twins were doing really well or something or you know what it was. Uh, they talk about tearing the Metro. They were talking about going to the new Stadium, which it ultimately did. It was something along those lines. So I went, you know, I went, and I you know, shot it in some studio and it was live and uh apparently like I called like I called them, I went like right to the negative and I called the Metrodome a dump and like and that was the only feedback I got from all these people are like dude, like geez man, Like, you know, people don't want to hear that negativity. Your first thing out of the gate in the Metro was like okay, And I was so nervous, like now like if I if I do a rare TV thing or we like I used to be so nervous to talk on the radio, to talk and TV. And I remember just being like, oh my gosh, like.
Speaker 2: But when you did that TV segment, you couldn't see the people you were talking to. No, yeah, so you did those I did a Fox News segment was at the first it might have been twenty sixteen, twenty eighteen, when I'm still on the political desk at the Inquirer. It's crazy, like Mike Allen told me because he saw it, like it was funny. Is I did like ten minutes, you know, maybe set maybe eight to ten minutes. They use maybe twenty thirty seconds of it, right, yeah, and then but there was no one.
Speaker 1: And it was you can't believe anything. And that was one of the.
Speaker 3: Time I walked in this massive studio was at the Public Broadcasting downtown and it's dark, but it's a really big room and I walk in there and it's it's a makeup artist.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, oh man, I'm a newspaper guy, like.
Speaker 3: Hey, and then like she's like sit down and she puts all this she I was like, I'm like, man, and and then she's like I was like, do I do this this? She's like, I can't. I'm here. They they hired me to do the makeup. I can't tell you, like what else you're doing or anything, how to sit or anything. Yeah, And it was me on a table make up makeup lane, and there was a camera. I didn't even and I had whatever. I had an earpiece and that's whoever was interviewing me, Bill Hammer or somebody.
Speaker 2: That's a hard way to do it, it really is. So yeah, yeah, I'll cut you some slack, not a TV guy. In the meantime, we got to get too a little traffic and weather together on seven hundred WW.
Speaker 7: From the UC Health Traffic Center. From non invasive to surgical treatments, the uc Health Back Neck and Spine Center offers every option to improve quality of life with convenient locations across Greater Cincinnati and northern Kentucky. Learn more at ucehealth dot com. There is one new accident on Queens City Avenue. It's over at La Fuel Avenue. Southbound two seventy is down the one lane at the Indiana Kentucky line that for ongoing repairs to the Carol Cropper Bridge. Traffic slow back from US fifty in lawrence Burg a two minute delay southbound seventy five traffic style and go between Western Avenue and Fort Washington Way that is a three to five minute delay. I met He'zellek on news radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: Now the night first weather forecast. The wind advisory in effect for Cincinnati Dayton, Columbus set to come to an end at six tonight, otherwise mostly cloudy. Tonight continued windy. The overnight low nineteen mostly sunny but not warm. Tomorrow a high of only twenty eight, mostly cloudy. The overnight low twenty five Tuesday and Wednesday. And Wednesday is New Year's e It'll be mostly cloudy and a high of thirty five. It is a brisk twenty five at seven hundred WW.
Speaker 4: All right, mister Penny, I'm going to say a word, and you tell me the first thing that pops into your mind.
Speaker 1: Got you doc comfortable. Scott's loan desirable Scott's Loan.
Speaker 4: You cannot say Scott's bone every time.
Speaker 1: That all right, I won't good. The word is charming. A monkey, but that's good with it.
Speaker 2: A monkey in the jungle listening to Scott's Loan, Scott's loan, you may become obsessed.
Speaker 10: Join me Scott Sloan tomorrow morning at nine o'clock on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: A monkey listening to Scott Sloan, you're.
Speaker 1: Telling me they don't. The party's just getting started.
Speaker 2: iHeartRadio and ABC bring you Dick Clark, The Eddian Rocky Show, Dan Carroll, Jason Williams in for Eddian Rocky. Fun Lines are open five point three, seven, four nine, seven and eight hundred the Big One, So Jason Williams. One of the things I get asked about a lot. We've got a guest coming up at four point thirty after the news at four thirty, and this guy is the Attorney General of the state of Alabama. His name is Steve Marshall, and he wrote a piece in the Washington Times talking about why we should all support the idea that Trump is blowing these drug boats out of the water. And that has probably been I think Jason one of the more controversial subjects that has come up in the past several months, because I can't tell you how many times I'll be out somewhere, I'll be doing something and people out of the blue will ask me about you know, why is Trump bl owned these drug boats out of the water. And Steve Marshall and then the column he wrote in The Times makes a pretty good point about Look, he's saying. The bottom line is this is that, you know, these drugs that are coming in to America, especially the fentanyl, are killing hundreds of thousands of people and this you know, those numbers have dropped off significantly since Trump has become president and put these policies in place. And he's essentially saying, look, we should all support this.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 7: So.
Speaker 2: And the one thing, and this guy is the Attorney General of Alabama. And the one thing is I see a lot of posts online people talking about how this is illegal. He doesn't have the right to do it. You know, he should get sued. All these Democrats are talking about, oh, they're just fisherman out trying to make a living, you know, all this other stuff. But this guy is saying nah, bah bah nah. And so we're gonna be able to pick his brain in about a half an hour from good.
Speaker 3: I'll look forward to that because, uh, you know, I think, uh, you know, this is we've talked about the war on drugs since Ronald Reagan and certainly you know, Ronald Reagan was the one who was really the first to raise raised this whole old deal. And yet we're still we have a lot of drugs that come across our border, you know borders, right, not not just across the southern border, but they're coming in in other ways and from other countries as well. But this is doing something about it. This to me is doing something about it, right. I mean we've talked about it. We've talked a.
Speaker 2: Lot about it.
Speaker 3: Oh you know, like say no to drugs and this is your brain on drugs. You know, remember the Friday get all that back in the eighties. And we've got lots and lots and lots of Netflix shows on on the War on drugs and you know, the cocaine trafficking, uh you know, industry and all that, but uh, it's still still coming in, still gets here.
Speaker 2: You know, he's not hiding in that policy. He's put the videos out there. Look, we blew another. I think they're like to like like twenty six or twenty eight of those boats now, So I'll be curious.
Speaker 3: That's because I wonder, you know, I know, like there's some faction of political folks are calling it illegal. But what I'm wondering is Trump designated the drug cartels? Is the terrorists organizations, right, narco terrorists. Yeah, so that that probably from a legal standpoint, has allowed for some different, you know, ways to fight the war on drugs, I would assume, And I don't know if that again, I'm not that educated on the nitty gritty details and so, but I wonder if that's this is part of that, that this allows the administration to do what he's doing.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, anyone who's listening right now, if you've got questions or you know, any misgivings about blowing those drug boats out of the water, we invite you to stay tuned for Steve Marshall, the Attorney General of Alabama, who's going to be here after the news at the bottom of the hour. In the meantime, let's go out to Amelia and say hey to Jim. Jim you're on seven hundred wl W and happy New year to you. Hey, Jim, Hello, Jim, Jim's taking a break, is having a union meeting. I'll put them back on hold and see if and see if Jim shows up.
Speaker 3: People do people who live in Amelia, it's it's technically no more, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they still everyone I don't live far from me, but everyone I know is still even though technically dissolved. I want to say the local government again, the village of Amelia dissolved, but everyone I know still calls an emeliate Melia.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I still hear people say Amelia. It so and so from Amelia, I mean to my way, if they can, it's it's still Amelia. Jim, Are you with us now?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 9: I'm here.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Do people out in your neck of the woods still calling Amelia?
Speaker 6: Yeah, but it's not the village of Amelia Alia.
Speaker 2: It's just that's just kind of the area that area between yeah, Cherry Grove and Batavia.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we're not a village anymore. We're not not a village.
Speaker 1: All right. What you got for us today, Jim?
Speaker 6: Uh, one of your guys's news that this guy got out of prison. He was in there for a long time and and then he got a car and got drunk or something.
Speaker 1: No, yeah, yeah, yeah, Elwood Jones.
Speaker 6: Yeah, And I'm just thinking, didn't they have to get a driver's license when you get out of prison. I don't wanted to get into a car. I don't understand that.
Speaker 1: That's a good question. I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't know if any of that was addressed during the court appearance today, but it seems to me that, uh that I don't know, maybe he was out on his own, you know, enough amount of time that he could secure a driver's license.
Speaker 1: I don't know that he had.
Speaker 2: There was time enough to actually purchase a car and insurance and own a car and all that stuff we're supposed to do when you own a car. So I'm guessing it was somebody else's car. Wow, maybe you're driving skills deteriorate after thirty years of being on on death.
Speaker 1: Row a driver.
Speaker 6: I would think so too. I just wanted to ask that question. Thanks, guys. I have a good new year, all.
Speaker 2: Right, Janks you no, you know no, I know a lot of people who went after that story broke on on Christmas Eve?
Speaker 3: Well you and I mean you texted me. I was sitting there watching Netflix or something that i'd look over. I got a text from you, and we had just because we You and I spent a lot of time last week addressing the whole Elwood Jones story, but not not that part of the story. And then I was like, are you kidding? And then I click over in the inquiry and there it is. I'm like, uh wow, didn't take them No, but that was a question I want to get back and then whatever. The next time we worked together, I was the first hand in.
Speaker 2: I came in.
Speaker 3: I was like, did like, right, you know who's car? Like, did you already have a car? Did you have a did you just go out and buy a car? Because he is what's he been out of jail? Just a couple of weeks?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Been a couple of weeks?
Speaker 2: I think was it the twenty second that he was not even twelfth or something? I forget, I forget what day it was.
Speaker 3: He and then like, do you how quickly can you get a driver's I don't I don't know. Did he does your driver's license stay active while you're in prison? I mean, can he keep it active?
Speaker 2: Literally? I don't know. I don't know. I don't want to go to prison to find out, No, nor do I.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Maybe someone who's been in prison get answer that question. Pete and Lebanon, have you been in prison? Can you explain that to us?
Speaker 6: Well, I'm not going to brag about it.
Speaker 3: He's calling us from the actually calling us from the leven and fail.
Speaker 9: Now kidding, Pete, I like to live on on the side of all.
Speaker 1: There you go a little little easier that way.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, maybe they let him out and they gave him an I D.
Speaker 9: So we can go in the next election.
Speaker 1: Gotta vote, got to be able to vote.
Speaker 9: Absolutely, he's no longer a Fellon as far as I know. But that's not why I called gentlemen. Hey, I uh. In fact, I was in the Coast Guard nineteen eighty six to ninety two under Reagan and Bush. Oh I was modest. Listen, Trump has a a plan and he's following what Reagan wanted to do back then, right, And if you you can look this up that it's it's history. The United States Coast Guard back then was under the Department of Transfer Transportation, so we could we could enforce federal law on on navy ships, and we did so using the United States Coast Guard flag. So everything that Trump is doing right now. In fact, I was in Venezuela back in the day, but we were we were at odds with Columbia and we were kind of fighting the Columbian drug worlds back to you know, we're friendly friendly with Venezuela back in the day. So all the stuff now, for me watching it, it's like, Wow, Rapid couldn't pull the trigger back then, but Trump's doing it now. You couldn't arm helicopters, uh, United States Coast got helicopters. He had to use military assets. So obviously you've got the posse Cooma Totafact, which means you can't utilize the US military, can't declare war or they can't enforce federal war unless they do it under the United States Coast. Now, I don't know how to understand how they do it right now with homeland security. I believe it's it's even more stringent or it's less stringent now than it was back then in the day. But I look at this and I'm like, kudos to Trump because Rapid couldn't get it done, and he was one of our best presidents. And I wasn't a big fan of Bush forty one. But in any event, all this stuff, there was a roadmap for this stuff for Trump to do, and we just didn't do it. It took thirty five forty years to do it.
Speaker 2: That's it. Yeah, I was just looking it up. It's now now.
Speaker 3: The Coast Guard is under the Department of Homeland Security, and in a time of war. I'm reading here from an article. It says that it functions as part of the US Navy. So I don't I don't wonder if.
Speaker 1: This is.
Speaker 3: Because it's involved the Coast Guards involved in the in these narco boat shootings, right, bombings what we call it.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know if the Coastguard is involved. I thought I heard something blowing these and blowing they were involved in that oil tanker pursuit, right, yeah, yeah, but I think that's under different maritime rules.
Speaker 1: There is.
Speaker 2: There is a Maritime Drug Enforcement Act that was signed in nineteen eighty six, a shot signed by Chuck Schumer that, among other things, makes drug trafficking on the high seas of US federal crime and provides a legal framework for the Coastguard to board and serve these vessels. Sponsored by Chuck Schumer, sign signed by Chuck Schumer. But cord to, I've heard Marco ruby To talk about this many times that since these organizations coming out of Venezuela or wherever they're coming out of, uh have been designated terrorist organizations. If if if they have information that there they are headed to the United States, are bringing drugs that are going to eventually find their way to the United States, then uh, you know, under under you know, these laws, then uh, the Trump administration is totally within its rights.
Speaker 1: To there go ahead and do this.
Speaker 3: Because they're because they've been designated a terrorist organization.
Speaker 2: Right and and you know, and and like I said before, we uh We've got a guest coming up on this, Steve Marshall, the Attorney General of Alabama, And I'm sure we'll be able to ask that question of him, because look, I mean, it's it gets complex when you start talking about maritime law and stuff on the high season, all that kind of stuff. You know, how Trump is is able to do this, But I think I think, based on a lot of stuff that I've.
Speaker 1: Read that that he is well within his rights.
Speaker 3: That'd be interesting too, Steve Marshall, because I'm sure he's involved in in some of this because obviously part of Alabama is on the Gulf shore there, so I'm sure probably all the all the attorney generals what do you call it, the attorneys general of all those states that.
Speaker 1: Are on you're talking about multiple.
Speaker 3: Yes, I remember learning that when I was covering politics. I got it wrong one day and a reader pointed it out. It's attorneys general when you're referring to plural. Okay, thank you. That's why I you know, I never wanted to go with the written word that says oh, you and I were talking to today about you and I the other they are talking about how to spell learning.
Speaker 2: At least I know how to spell that word. It's L E A R I N G right learings. If you live you live in Minnesota. That's that's that's how it.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 2: Last week we were talking about AI too, and I saw I saw this this article that that there's there's a conundrum going on now because there are a lot of companies when it kind when it gets into the hiring process, that are using AI to help determine the employees that they should hire. Conversely, there are a lot of people who are looking for work that are using AI to assist them in their resumes and assist them in engaging in these interviews that these companies were doing. And so what what could see that what a lot of companies are coming to find out is that you don't have any real people talking to each other during the hiring process. You have the company's AI talking to the individual's AI. And so you've got you've got two different AIS interacting with each other trying to decide whether or not you know.
Speaker 1: One you know, do you want to hire?
Speaker 2: Do I want to hire Jason Williams to come work for Dan Carroll's company? And does Jason Williams want to come to work? Sounds like a Julie question.
Speaker 1: So so that's make me think about that.
Speaker 2: You've got the two AI programs deciding whether or not the person is there is the right employee to hire. And then and then the employees were relying on the AI. So you you've taken the human beings out of that, out of that process.
Speaker 3: In many and let's go back to the days and we had a phone attached.
Speaker 2: To the wall. That's what That's where we started long cour and get that cord tangled up. That's a real deal.
Speaker 3: So you could sneak around the around in another room and talk to your girlfriend.
Speaker 2: But I mean, but think about that.
Speaker 1: Hey, you're gonna you're gonna apply for that job.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got my AI working on it right now, you're talking to another AI.
Speaker 3: So are you saying that AI is a than actually just applying for the jobs for you.
Speaker 1: I'm sure you could do that. I'm sure.
Speaker 2: I Look I again, I don't know. Look you said you just have used it a little bit. I've used it very very teeny tiny.
Speaker 3: I used it to help I used it to help draw develop a logo for my baseball team.
Speaker 2: That's it, Not the one that's on your hat currently. No, okay, that's pretty good looking.
Speaker 1: On that since the Pyo Patriots man.
Speaker 2: In any case, we got to get to a little traffic and weather together right now on seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 7: From the UC Health the Traffic Center. From non invasive to surgical treatments, The UC Help Backneck and Spine Center offers every option to improve quality of life with convenient locations across Greater Cincinnati and northern Kentucky. Learn more at ucehealth dot com. Down to only one accident, It's on work Road over at Westbourne Drive. Traffic is slow southbound seventy five between Ezra Charles Drive and Fort Washington Way, a minute or two worth of delays in through there. Construction works southbound seventy five as well between Ronald Reagan Highway in Norwood Lateral. That's got some backup, backed up traffic from Galbreath and right now seeing no delays through Ohio on seventy one southbound from Mason into downtown. That he's like on news radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: Now the nine first weather forecast. The wind advisory in effect for Cincinnati Dayton, Columbus set to come to an end at six tonight, otherwise mostly cloudy. Tonight continued windy. The overnight low nineteen mostly sunny but not warm. Tomorrow a high of only twenty eight, mostly cloudy. The overnight low twenty five Tuesday into Wednesday, and Wednesday is New Year's e It'll be mostly cloudy and a high of thirty five. It is a brisk twenty five At seven hundred ww Willy is the one person I know I can count on, my friend. I want you to know that I'm Bill Cunningham, am here for you. It makes me feel good to be an American.
Speaker 8: Let me help ease your concerns, keep you informed, and raise your spirits.
Speaker 2: I'd rather have my arm gnawed off by beavers than miss Willie's show. I'm here for you. All you have to do is listen to me the great America.
Speaker 1: I want to be a great American.
Speaker 2: Just like Willie.
Speaker 8: Bill Cunningham Tomorrow at twelve noon on seven hundred w l W.
Speaker 5: This report is sponsored by Miami Valley Gaming.
Speaker 11: Celebrate New Year's even Miami Valley Gaming. It's the best party in town and it's all free.
Speaker 10: Must be twenty one Ohio Problem Family Hopeline one hundred five eight nine nine ninety six six or visit.
Speaker 2: Worked out Ohio dot com.
Speaker 1: Ready to take a.
Speaker 10: Break, visit time out Ohio dot com. You know, pain has a way of stealing the moments that matter the most during the holidays, But in the new year, that could all change when your body remembers how to heal with QC Kinetics. QC is here in Cincinnati to do just that, using your body's own natural healing abilities to repair and restore what's been lost. It uses the cells that built you in the first place. No surgery, no pain, no long recovery, just your body remembering how to feel alive again. QC Kinetics delivers long term relief. Make the new year your turning point where pain stops defining you. My wife has just started treatment. I'm going to keep you posted how it goes. Enjoy your holidays, Live without pain, without hesitation. QC Kinetics. Schedule your free consultation today. Now's a great time to use your HSA and FSA for treatments called five one three eight four seven zero zero nineteen. Five one three eight four seven zero zero nineteen. That's five one three eight four seven zero zero nineteen.
Speaker 2: CBS Health supports people in the moments that matter, from picking up a prescription to connecting care with nearly all. Right, back on the Big one seven hundred WLW three thirty seven, Dan Carrol, Jason Williams hanging out, Freddie and Rocky and our guest Steve Marshall, the Attorney General of the State of Alabama, waiting for him to call in. And he's got the number. So if he doesn't call in, then Jason, we're not going to have a guest. But you know what, that's why we do show prep.
Speaker 1: That's exactly right. We have plenty to talk about.
Speaker 2: But no, our guest wrote a wrote a piece called Trump Snarco boat strikes saving American lives, And it did really a good time to hear hear him on because we heard the news at the bottom of the hour that Trump has blown up a what did he called it? A facility and he said it's no what do he say, it's no more? Yeah, it is no more in Venezuela, and that's where I guess that's where the drug boats kind of get all their acts together and head out on the high season, and that place is no more. So it would have been a good time to run that by him and see what he thinks about that. But yeah, I mean he's he is with sixteen others a state attorney general that are in favor of federal efforts to confront these cartel operations. So I would imagine that he would be in support of that. So if Steve Marshall calls in, then we will we will get him on the line post taste. But another thing I wanted to talk to you about, Yeah, Audi, do we have cut number one ready to go?
Speaker 1: Okay? All right, Dan cut Carol? Well, yeah, love you love your cuts.
Speaker 2: I'm reading this, this headline about James Madison University. Yes, and so they do. Of course they got they got smoked playing. I mean, do you think they probably didn't belong in the in the college football playoffs?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 3: Being that I'm a Marshall football fan and they're in the same conference.
Speaker 2: And so you think they should have been in.
Speaker 3: I struggle with it because I feel like there's maybe one spot for the non power conference. Basically the James Madison's of the world and the two Lanes are They're more the equivalent of the middle tier of of the Power Conference. Yea. So whoever was you know, a really kind of a middling middle tier Big Ten team. Yeah, that was about the equivalent of what Twu Lane and James Madison were this year.
Speaker 2: So I'm looking at this headline that eleven starters from James Madison have found their way to the transfer portal sad and they are out, And I mean, and that really is is changing the landscape of college football. And I came across this earlier today and it is coach cal formerly of Kentucky now with Arkansas. I've seen this, yeah, and he is he is talking about the transfer portal And he was in front of an audience a day or so ago, and I guess he was doing a Q and A like a rotary club.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it was.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And he was asked about the trans and I think, uh, coach cow has a really good take on the transfer portal here. So I wanted to play that. And so Audi, if you would please, could we hear cut number one?
Speaker 8: Oh, I say to you, who if a kid transfers four times, is he gonna graduate from that school? It's no way you can't graduate. So now you're gonna be done playing without a college degree. You have no ties to the last school you went to where they feel that you're from Arkansas. You played here, we're here. You're gonna have opportunity. That's done. You're offered fifty five thousand dollars in your first job and you go, what fifty five thousand do I have to show up? Are they gonna you got you got me an apartment?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 1: Or a car?
Speaker 8: I mean they I'm worried about mental health. Mental health. That Look, I've been poor, and you know it's worse than being poor, coming across some money and then being pour again.
Speaker 1: That's the worst.
Speaker 8: That's probably why I am cheap because I'm not going back there. But so my thing is, and I've been pushing this. You can transfer once without penalty because you picked the wrong school, the coach lied to you. There was another player that came that you didn't know about one time, and after that you got to sit because what do you think they're transferring for?
Speaker 1: Somebody helped me here.
Speaker 8: Why they say it, that's it. It isn't because they're mad at this or that I can extort you and if you don't give it to me, I'm going over here. If we cure that, I've been seeing it for five years, no one listens to me. My dog I called me, runs the other way. My wife doesn't listen to me. No one listens. If we cure the transfer rule, seventy percent of our problems go away. We can deal with all the other stuff.
Speaker 2: What John Caliperry is saying there, yeah, he is really saying that this thing is out of control. These kids transfer in and when you talk about in the long run, does it really serve these student athletes, Well, he's saying no, because it's it's not a real world situation where you've got a good college football player who is going to get paid all I don't know, let's say four million dollars and then when that is over, what happens when that's over? And that the chances that, you know, an average college football player making that kind of money in the NFL is very likely to not happen. And then he says, what, you go, you get a job. Maybe you if you've switched all these schools, do you have enough credit to graduate from one of those schools?
Speaker 1: I mean, who knows? I mean, how does that work?
Speaker 2: It sounds to me the way he's talking that they don't have all that figured out yet. And so you go out to take a job. What you're gonna pay me fifty five grand a year? And I was pulling down four million.
Speaker 3: You know, I got to show up four hours a week on my six year and clock every day at my.
Speaker 2: You know, Monday through Friday.
Speaker 1: What.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, I think Cal's got a pretty good handle on it.
Speaker 1: Well, he's got a great point.
Speaker 3: And more and more Kacher speaking out I've seen just in today, I saw a clip from UH Gonzaga's coach Mark Fugh. Yesterday I saw Tom Izzo. Because now the the whole transfer portal and the no rules of the NCAA is like they're now allowing guys that have been drafted in the NBA to now come back and play, and uh, you know, mid season Baylor picks up a guy who was an NBA draft pick a couple of years ago, and it's like, uh, you know, Mark fu said something on Mark Fie, the Gonzaga coach, said something along the lines of, you know it, really Congress probably needs to step in, but they're just as messed up as as the NCAA or just as big of a mess as the NCAA A.
Speaker 1: Everything.
Speaker 3: When you think about the basic values of life, right Judeo Christian values that are that is so I don't know, critical to our basic life that we're we're all taught and like none it's all topsy turvy in college athletics. When you think about like, I can't imagine these coaches. And then there's people say, oh, the coaches make it. They oh they can go whenever they want and break contracts. You're still a coach. You're still trying to lead young men or young women. You're still trying to teach them. You're you're trying to make an impact in their lives because they are eighteen, nineteen, twenty year old, you know, young adults, and so you're trying to teach them things like, you know, team works still, and loyalty to the you know, to the team and your role to the team, and overcoming adversity. You know, Nick Saban always talked about, you know, the overcoming adversity and the fact that it's like you're not going to grow unless you fight through the adversity. But here this system is set up to where I don't have to really fight through adversity. I can just you know, it got too hard for me there, I'll just jump in the transfer portal and see if it'll be easier and more money over here. Now, I know that's an oversimplification, but on the grander scheme of things, that's generally what's going on right now. Oh you know what, I actually really liked it here. I liked my coach, I like my teammates. We were growing. But you know what, I can go make more money over there, and it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The concept of that is you know, generally, like I think we all would agree in our careers, you know, most of the time we leave a job or I don't know.
Speaker 1: At least this is my own experience.
Speaker 3: Anytime I've ever left the job, it wasn't because I didn't like the job I was in.
Speaker 1: Was because there was a.
Speaker 3: More money or you know, better hours, or there was something better about typically from a monetary standpoint, at that other job. It wasn't because I was unhappy, and so that concept is in place. But that's that's not what's going on here, Dan. For the most part, it's that whoever you know cal talked about it there, whoever you know, they're basically an extorting peele. You know, I mean, I talk to someone at U SEE or somebody you know, someone that told UC told me about you know, guys will walk into the head coach's office and say, you know, State University X is offering me this, What are you going to do?
Speaker 1: It's like, you know, it's it's hard.
Speaker 3: It's hard to get your arms around it, because yes, when you really drill down into it and you're like, well, is that any different than you are in your career, whatever career path you're in, because you know, sometimes people get a job offer from somewhere else and then they're like, you know, I really like it here, I'm going to go into my boss and say, hey, you know, can he match this or is she match this? I don't know, man, you know, but they're they're just no rules. And even when you look at the NFL, there's the free agency rules and the salary structures and the salary cap and but you know, you throw all that into this whole college thing, then it's going to require a lot of legal stuff, a lot of you know, unionization and you know, collective bargaining. And so that's that's part of why this is all such a mess because colleges, on one hand, are like, yeah, like you have coaches and you have athletic administrators, say yeah, we really need but on the other hand, like, well, to really get a hold of this, you're gonna have to have collective bargaining and unionization. Don't really want that, you know, like, because that makes things difficult.
Speaker 2: It changes what the whole idea I think of amateur athletics is and then in college athletics and all the rest of it. I was flipping around ESPN. I was turned on ESPN. I thought it was a day or so ago and Jeremy Schapp on E sixty had a great piece, i mean really in depth piece talking about NIL and the transfer portal, and actually spoke to the woman who works for the NCAA who created the transfer portal. And you know, this goes back I think to the right right around the time, you know, when the Wuhan was going on, and for various reasons, you know, the kids wanted to get out of the situation they were in, right, and so it went from i mean, in the span of just two or three years, it went from something that was very tightly controlled to something that had no rules at all. And now you've got kids, you know, it's like a turnstile going in and out of the transfer portal and then they're doing it just be one school is going to offer more money than the next.
Speaker 3: Well, the other problem, exactly, the other problem here is that the NCAA is just weak. It's it has terrible leadership, it's feckless, and there's no backbone.
Speaker 2: Or they talked to the guy who was the head of the NCAA and he was like, yeah, He's like, yeah, we're you know, we're wide open, we're crazy. He says, like, I think we've got a pretty good handle on it now. But the problem is they're afraid to get ensued. Yeah, and that's the problem, and that's why we have all these things to begin with.
Speaker 3: Is every time there's a new rule try to put in, someone sues.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 3: The whole reason why we have NIL is someone sued ed oband ensued because hey, you know U C. L. A. Was making money off putting his you know, based on you know, posters to promote the season and TV commercials and all that, and he wasn't see in a dime. Well that that was a long, long, long court price.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they talked about NIL, and they were talking about what NIL was when it initially what it was meant to be was an opportunity for an athlete to be able to capitalize on that athlete's name, image and likeness.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: So, if that athlete could go out and find, you know, a local car dealership that said, hey, I want you to advertise my cars. You know, we'll let you drive a car for a couple of years, or you know, we'll cut you a check for ten grand or something like that, if an athlete it has the ability to do. I mean that part of NIL is still there, yep. But what it morphed into and it did very quickly. Was the schools just flat out paying these kids to come and play, and and and so that it got crazy out of control like that. And one of our guests that we've got coming up on Wednesday is Grant House who went to Saint Zaba or not, but to St. X High School. And Grant House is the one. You know, it's called the House Settlement because him and some other college athletes he went to Arizona State University out of St. X High School and he is the one that brought the lawsuit that said, hey, uh, you know, I'm a I'm a swimmer here at Arizona State University. And I know at the time he was doing a podcast with his brother, and so just by virtue of doing that podcast, he was looking at the likelihood he was running a foul of some of the NCAA rules and regulations because of that podcast got a sponsor and made some money in any sort of way, Well, then he was going to be in violation of these rules. And he said, look, I I'm doing all this on my own. It's it's it's my own thing. I I should be able to to generate an income on my own. He was getting a full ride to begin with, but sure, but he still had all those rules and regulations that applied. And so, you know, I asked him, I had him on I don't know, a year and a half, many two years ago, and I asked him if NIL at that time was what he envisioned it to be. And he really wasn't in a position because all the lawsuit was still going on to really answer that. And I think he'll have he may have, you know, maybe some more meaningful insight into that, and we get a chance to talk to him on Winnsday.
Speaker 1: Well, actually, you know, I'm looking forward to that.
Speaker 3: When you text me the other day, I'm like, this is huge, this is this is exciting because he was very much a part of all the things that are happening right now. Although I feel like the House settlement was a good thing, ultimately the House settlement is what has led now to basically there being a cap on the amount of money the universe. It's brought the money in house, no, no pun intended. And so now every Division one school can give every year up to twenty point five million dollars to their athletes. Now that's for all sports. You see, the UC athletic director told me, what there are four sports that are getting nil money from the school. I believe it was certainly football, men's basketball, women's basketball, and baseball.
Speaker 1: I believe it was.
Speaker 3: I believe it was four, might have been five when I talked to John Cunningham a couple months ago. So that that brought the house set on one is bringing some has brought some structure to it. But the problem is is now there's still it's not just that that's what I think what a lot of administrators saying, all right, that's the cap, that's it. Well, yeah, in theory, that is the cap from inside, but then it's still there's still all this outside money that then oh, well, you know, and I don't not picking on car dealership saying like, you know, there's the there's a group of folks over here, and so that's what's happening at Texas Tech. They have a billionaire oil tycoon is now based and it's like, so there's all these things that god.
Speaker 9: Tech.
Speaker 3: And then the other the other part of this was that schools were allowed to you know, bank, they were allowed to bank as much money as they could up until the house settlements, you know kicked in. Well, no one knows how much some well, I mean it's become pretty obvious and who who's good on the field, and you know there are things that leak out. But that's the whole other piece of there's no there's no public record piece of this stuff either. All right, you're on a roll, but we were little trafficking weather together. On seven hundred.
Speaker 7: From the u S Health Traffic Center. From non invasive to surgical treatments. The u SEE Health Backneck and Spine Center offers every option to improve quality of life with convenient location across Greater Cincinnati in northern Kentucky. Learn more at ucehealth dot com. On Mainville Rose an accident between Butterworth and hat Swank Road. Crews are directing traffic around that area. Another crash on Vine that's over by the zoo between Erkenbrecker Avenue and Beldair Avenue and Springdale Road. One more accident at Colrain. Traffic slow southbound seventy one seventy five from Fort Washington wade down towards Kyle's Lane. That is a three minute delay. I'm at Ezeleek on news Radio seven hundred double d WELW now.
Speaker 2: The nine first weather forecast. The wind advisory in effect for Cincinnati Dayton, Columbus set to come to an end at six tonight, otherwise mostly cloudy. Tonight continued windy. The overnight low nineteen mostly sunny butt not warm. Tomorrow a high of only twenty eight, mostly cloudy. The overnight low twenty five Tuesday and Wednesday. And Wednesday is New Year's e It'll be mostly cloudy and a high of thirty five. It is a brisk twenty five at seven hundred WW.
Speaker 1: This report is sponsored by Chumbuck Casino dot com.
Speaker 3: Hey is Ryan Seacrest here, and I have discovered a fun to escape from a daily grind, Chumbuck Casino.
Speaker 1: Chumbuck Casino has hundreds of social casino style games.
Speaker 2: It's all free to play. Right backing on the Big One, seven hundred WLW Final hour of the Eddie and Rocky Show, hosted by Dan, Jeryl and Jason Wis Cincinnati Cincinnati dot com. How long have you been there? Hasn't been there?
Speaker 1: May twenty twelve.
Speaker 2: I came came there May at twenty Are you are you good at remembering dates and years and stuff.
Speaker 1: Like that, uh not. I'm not terrible at it, but I'm not.
Speaker 2: I mean, you just fired off that in May of twenty twelve, like it was right there on the top of your at Well, it was a big deal, man, I had.
Speaker 1: I was out of the business for five years.
Speaker 2: Really, what did you do when you're out of the business.
Speaker 3: I did communications pr for a City Gospel mission about that homeless shelter yep. But I left the business in the newspaper business in twenty In two thousand and seven, I was working in Saint Paul, Minnesota at the time, and our paper went through three owners in six months.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: And that was when things were really started to go bad for the newspaper industry. And I'm like, yeah, I was single, no kids, no no house, no nothing really at the time, and I'm like, I had better try to do something different or if I don't know how much of a life and it will provide for a wife and kids someday. So I didn't really like living in Minnesota, and I moved back here and convinced City Gospel to put a proposal together and convince them to hire me as their first communications person. I did that for five years, but I'll tell you what, Dan, I missed every single I'm not kidding you, every single day I missed. I missed newspapers. I missed the rush of being a reporter. I was a beat reporter for the first whatever ten years in my career, and it was even ten years, seven or eight years, and but then I developed some relationships to the Inquirer and my buddy Josh Pickler, he was the business otter at the time, and I, you know, he met with him and he uh, he had an opening and I originally I came back. I had been a sports reporter, and I came back in the business as a I was hired as a business reporter covering jobs and transportation. But it was a hot job at that time because the street car was really hot. That was CDG, like all the CVG Delta going away and low cost carriers and like that.
Speaker 1: There was a lot of action there.
Speaker 3: The Prince spent the Bridge was every man, yeah, and I wrote a ton about it, and people just could not get enough of it, Like it didn't matter what we wrote about it. People could not get enough like content on it. Brent Spence Bridge was another and at that time that they were there was a big movement to like talk about tolling that bridge, so that was a hot story and uh there was I remember, yeah, I remember that was when I first kind of learned about the tea party because there was a big tea party movement in northern Kentucky.
Speaker 1: Uh, one of which was.
Speaker 3: Our our our overnight trucking guy, Kevin Gordon. He was he was a big part of the anti toll He was really big in I remember meeting with him, and that was a big story. He was that was a huge story, uh in the business community and was involved and I met a lot of people in that so it was uh it was great experience because all I'd ever done before was sports, and uh, I had always wanted to make the move to news and didn't really know how to do it or didn't know about the opportunity and got the opportunity. And then what I loved about that job was there was so much politics involved in everything. And I always love local politics, like I remember when I you know, I even just even growing up like local politics for where I grew up, like, I was always interested in it. My my uncle was a county commissioner. I mean, I wasn't like into like I never went to his office or but I but there's nothing. There was just intrigue of the politics of uh, you know, local politics. And then I came here and like when I came to UC, I remember this, like, and people even they'll tell you this day, Like you'll talk to people in Columbus or Cleveland and they'll be they were always like when I was on the political desk, people are always like you all down there in Cincinnati, you love your local politics. Like that's not the way it is here in Cleveland or Columbus. Obviously Columbus is more interested when it comes to politics and what's going on on Capitol Square. But Cincinnati was always about what's going on at City Hall, even if he didn't live in the city, even if he didn't work in the city. You're always interested in, you know, what's Charlie Lucan doing, or what what's John Cranley doing, What's Mark Mallory, Like, what is going on there? What's the fight, what's the latest fight, you know, what's the big development, what's the big project. It feels like we don't we don't have a lot of that intrigue anymore. Generally from the region like we used to. And I don't know is that is that I don't know what the reasoning. I don't know the pinpoint and reason for that, other than I think we I guess the biggest reason probably is that it used to be all politics. You know that line, All politics are local politics. Well that's been turned upside down. All politics are national now, and so I would assume that's probably the big reason why there's not as much, you know, interest in what's going on down at city Hall.
Speaker 1: Is what there once was in Greater Cincinnati.
Speaker 2: Well, there used to be a time when what happened on a daily basis in DC didn't affect your daily average life. You know, it did, really it didn't have much of an effect at all. But does it now? I think it does now. I mean I was looking at this story. You know, Scott Passent says that Americans are going to see a gigantic refund coming up this this tax filing season. So you know, the first I don't know, the first twenty or thirty or forty years I was following my taxes, it seemed that whatever happened in DC really didn't affect my income taxes. That much. It didn't affect the prices at the grocery store, didn't affect the prices at the gasoline pump, didn't effect That's a great point daily comings and goings. But now it seems like, you know, whatever we see we sit here and we got Fox News on TV over there, and sometimes we see him voting on stuff there on the floor the House or the floor of the Senate and and that stuff. It's amazing how fast that stuff gets from d C into your daily life now. And I don't think, I don't think the government that we have was really set up to to operate in that sort of way. You know, my buddy Andrew Pappus likes to talk about local politics all the time, and yeah, and how you need you really it's it's worth your while to pay attention to it because those that you elect locally are going to have more of a direct impact on your life than what happens in d C. Yeah, I think there's a there's a huge grain of tree to that I have.
Speaker 3: I don't know, I have to I have to put a cave out that I agree with him on that.
Speaker 8: Well.
Speaker 2: Papas was the Tea Party guy back in the day. I know he was you know that, don't you. Yeah, But but I was gonna ask us about newspapers. Yes, do newspapers get hate mail from environmentalists because of all the trees that, uh, that you cut down and make newspaper with.
Speaker 8: That.
Speaker 3: I've never heard of it, but that'd be interesting to like know, like was that because because really from the print newspapers, I've always heard this, and this is when I broke in the business in ninety eight, like that, I heard the nineteen nineties were the heyday of the print newspaper like that, the you know, the folks that were running newspapers and circulation was just you know, things were, business was good. So I wonder if, like back then, if that ever happened or even to this day, you know, we still uh you know, one of the one of we we always talk about it being one of our platforms as the way you can consume the product is through print. So I don't know if it's still aways still print tens of thousands of newspapers. I don't know if it's it's something that uh, you know, my boss broke Burl Love at the inquiry. I don't know if he gets calls here and there if people I don't know, I've never I've never heard that. In goodness, gracious what. It's kind of crazy. I think I'm going on like thirty years in my career.
Speaker 2: I haven't.
Speaker 3: I wasn't the newspapers the whole time. But it do you remember that? Was it when you were growing up? Do you remember the day when I was like, you know, generally your career was thirty years? Absolutely like that. That's not really a thing anymore, right, I don't think so well, it's not in this business. I think, well, you know, I've got a number of friends who are nearing the end of their careers. They're in law enforcement. I got a buddy of mine who actually retired from the Hamilton County Sheriff's Office a couple of summers ago, but he is still going to work every day because you know, they've got the program there where you can collect your retirement and you can still earn a paycheck, a regular paycheck. I'm going to you, but you're but you're I guess it's a double dipper. You know you're technically retired, but you still.
Speaker 1: Go to work.
Speaker 2: I mean, the you know they need, you know, they need people and then and then you do that for a period of time, and I guess it all adds into your retirement.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 2: I got a buddy, a couple buddies of mine who were five fighters, and they carry around a uh, they carry on their They've got an app on their cell phone that is a countdown clock to when they retire.
Speaker 1: You know, hey, really, but I retire.
Speaker 2: And you know two years, you know, six months and then in twenty one days and you know, thirty nine seconds.
Speaker 3: I mean, but but I mean, well in those types of jobs. There's civil service jobs like firefighter, police. My brother is a police officer in Columbus, like you know, But it's the system is set up that way that you can retire. What is the police officers not even thirty right, it's isn't it?
Speaker 1: I want lot a lot.
Speaker 2: I know a lot of guys who retired after twenty twenty five years things like that. But I think they they really want you to though, right, say. It's a lot different than private sector. Yes, and especially you know Cunningham talks about it all the time. He's been doing radio now for forty dude.
Speaker 3: I got a nine year old kid, fifty Yeah, I got a nine year old kid running around.
Speaker 2: But Cunningham talks about he was talking about it the other the other night, that he's you know, he's well into his seventies now, and you know he's looking at doing at least another two years, possibly three.
Speaker 3: I would now, I would never think, like if you just you know, you see Willy in here sometimes, you know, and cross paths and a switch of shows or whatever, I wouldn't. I just will he's seventy seven, I believe, like, I would never think that he's seventies. He's the same age as my mom, Like I don't think of my mom.
Speaker 2: Is is that? Like to me?
Speaker 3: My mom still looks the same, acts the same as she did when I was five years old, like to me, to me, yeah, I mean she's still erotic and like we just won't shut up, kind of like Lily and they're like goody in a good way. Absolutely just talk your ear off man.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But he Bill Cunningham is one of a kindly, there's no question about it.
Speaker 3: Here's the thing and this is what hopeful and I know I know longtime listeners realize this. But what's interesting about Willy is you could throw anything at him, and he can talk from hour about it, like you'd be like, here's the subject, and like any subject, just boom and then next thing, you know, like he's talked an hour about it because he's so well read, and so he watches tons of different clips and news shows.
Speaker 2: He reads everything.
Speaker 3: He reads all the local stuff, He follows all the local nothing forget. He reads the inquiry, he reads all the local TV sites, he watches all the local TV sites, he watches all the national cable channels, he reads the national newspapers like and and then that's why I like, right, I mean, then next thing, you know, and then he's got the historical perspective on all these things too, like and as we call it in the business institutional knowledge.
Speaker 2: But that was you know when when when he was in school, you read a textbook and then you've got it, You've got we got some people are blessed with that ability.
Speaker 1: Were talking about local policy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what's interesting about like the the the intrigue of local politics now is at the school board level and all these you know, you see typically in the suburban school board level. You're seeing it like that's where the fight is at the in so many school local school board elections or issues that are going on. You guys have seen it out in Andrews. I think you're forest Yeah, Forest Hills, that comes to mind. I think west Chester is another one that whatever their school is a Lakota Lakota school district. You know, there's there's a there's been big fights over elections and issues and uh, you know some of the culture war things that have you know, really like to me, that's a lot of where you're seeing the political local political intrigue these days is at that school board level.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and uh, you know what I want to say it was, you know, two or three election cycles ago, we've got a number of uh Conservatives who were elected to the Forest Hill school Board. And so they came on and uh, they they did what they said they were going to do. They were going to get rid of the you know, the the DEI programs, and they were going to get rid of some of the other stuff that was going on. And they did. And as soon as they did that, well they you know, there was that was unacceptable that was you know, the local paper and the local some of the local news would put these you know, talk about you know some of these things and oh, you're hurting this student, hurting that students and all this kind of stuff, and they are a lot of pressure was brought to bear on some of these individuals, and so they wound up stepping down. They quit, they couldn't handle the heat. So so now if.
Speaker 1: You said that like that, I respect. I respect. If you campaign on something, then you win, and then you go in there.
Speaker 2: And do it.
Speaker 1: Whether I agree with it or not, I respect that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is what you said you were going to do, and it was straight up about it, and you went in there and did it, and I out of that covering politics and then just my own personal view on politics.
Speaker 1: I've always respected that. You know, whether I've agreed with.
Speaker 3: You on those few issues that you've tackled or not, I I respect that because you said that, and then I had a choice to vote for you or not. But you said you're going to do that, So I can't sit here and.
Speaker 1: And they do it.
Speaker 2: They say they're called hateful and they're called bigot, and they're called racist and all this other stuff. So if you did it, you did a.
Speaker 3: You know what it was. It called it's the turn. Like you said one thing and then you turn around and did another thing. Well that's a whole other story.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, well we'll have another story on the other side of the track together.
Speaker 7: From the UCE Health Traffic Center from non invasive to surgical treatments. Do you See Health Back and Spine Center offers every option to improve quality of life with convenient locations across Greater Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky. Learn more at you See health dot com. Roadways are now accident free around town. The early only one that was out there now cleared away. That was on Springdale Road over at Coal Raine. There is construction though southbound two seventy five that leaves it only down to one lane at the Indiana Kentucky line, looking at a two minute delay back as well from US fifty and Lawrenceburg from the repairs in the Carroll Cropper Bridge. Some slow traffic as well in Ohio southbound seventy five between Freeman and Fort Washington Way at slow traffic continuing into Northern Kentucky down to Kyles Lane, and that He's not like on news radio seven hundred WLUBLE. This report is sponsored by Mattress Firm.
Speaker 2: The once a Year's sale and Clarence is here seven hundred WLW five forty, Dan Carroll, Jason Williams in Freddie and Rocky and is cruising some of the local local news websites. And I go to wl WT channel five. Yes, and King's Island is canceling tonight's Winterfest parade because of the winter weather. I mean, come on, man, it's winter Fest. What better way to celebrate wintry weather? And what's the overnight on?
Speaker 11: Me?
Speaker 2: Hold? I know, I just did the forecast. May see tonight is Monday. The overnight low nineteen Hey, you know nineteen to me, nineteen degrees says wintertime. Let's celebrate winter with a little winterry weather. Due to inclement weather forecast for today, December twenty ninth, Winterfest will operate with a modified schedule outdoor to entertainment and attractions, We'll be limited, and this evening's parade has been canceled. We remain committed to providing the best winter Fest experience for all, except you know, if it gets too cold outside. I'm not cracking on King's Island. I just think that's a little ironic. Yes, that's all from me.
Speaker 3: In other news, Dan, did you hear about the shark attack out in California a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 2: I don't think so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So there was a triathlete. Lady was killed in a shark attack a couple of weeks ago off the coast of California. Her body has been recovered. This was just last week and then her body was just recovered yesterday when the an a shark A shark, I don't know if it was the shark, but a shark surfaced with her body in Her corpse was found. Erica Fox's corpse was found Saturday afternoons, still clad in her black wetsuit, south of Davenport Beach in Santa Cruz, about twenty five miles from where she was last seen. This was they were on a This was a group of triathletes who were on a training swim about one hundred This guy, John Francois van Ruzo, or her husband, was swimming about one hundred yards behind his wife with thirteen other members of a local swimming club when a shark dragged his wife of thirty years into the water, and witnesses reported seeing a shark with the human body in its jaws before it's submerged. According to ABC, a big shark, they catch shark that it's not. It doesn't say in this story. Let's see. Van Russel said. Fox fifty five was found still wearing a quote shark band on her ankle. The electromagnetic device is meant to ward off sharks. So I guess this must be an area where you know there's a lot of sharks, and that these folks who do these training swims where this electronic electromagnetic band. I guess it sends out signals for sharks to stay away.
Speaker 2: That's rough.
Speaker 1: That's really tough. That's very rough.
Speaker 3: Her death is the second fatal shark attack at this area, which is called Lover's Point, in seventy three years, the first since a seventeen year old boy was killed. This is the first shark death in that area since a seventeen year old boy was killed in December of nineteen fifty two, so December. Both both happened in December. I wonder, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, that's sad out for a training thing and you get eaten by a shark and you asked me if I had a story for you. Yeah, I didn't. I'm sorry. I'm sorry I asked you have a bummer.
Speaker 1: It's kind of a bummer.
Speaker 2: We did drag the show down, Dan, I mean, is not my fault. In other news, the Cyclones are going to the strike is over, The Cincinnati three Ways are coming in.
Speaker 9: E E.
Speaker 2: C h L have reached a tentative agreement less than forty eight hours after they went on strike. So the Professional Hockey Players Association and EHL East Coast Hockey League have reached a tentative deal. So that's that's a good deal if you if you're a fan of Cyclones hockey. I think at all and all, they're going to miss a couple of games, but other than that, they're going to be back on track.
Speaker 3: They're doing a promotion here coming up where they're changing their name for one night into the Cincinnati three Ways.
Speaker 2: Oh really, in honor of our of our favorite cuisine. Well, Skyline Chile, Little Skyline Chile. How about that.
Speaker 1: I believe it.
Speaker 3: I believe it is Skyline that is sponsoring that. Yes, so they're gonna be the s going to look like it's like a.
Speaker 2: Little have the helmet's gonna look like a stack of cheese.
Speaker 3: I saw this and they sent it out last week or a couple of weeks ago. Uh, I think you know, it's basically a it is a cheese. It's basically a face, a kind of a wild face. It looks like it's a oyster cracker, maybe with spaghetti coming out its back.
Speaker 1: With a hot helmet. It's gonna look like an oyster cracker.
Speaker 3: I think that's what it's. Oh, her ears are better. Oh it's Oh, I can't tell if that's an oyster cracker or a I believe it is an oyster cracker with a kind of a madman face. Looks a little bit like Oscar the Grouch holding a fork, and like kind of spaghetti flown out the back, like it's its hair out the back of the hockey helmet.
Speaker 2: And that's what's gonna be.
Speaker 1: That's what's gonna be on the jersey.
Speaker 2: All right, Well, that's kind of cool. I'm gonna have to I haven't I haven't seen an illustration of that yet, but i'll have to.
Speaker 3: Uh, are you looking at one right now? I'm looking at one. They've got a whole shop set up for it. You can get hoodies, t shirts, juror the hockey what do they call it? The hockey sweater? Sweater, the sweater on the sweater, the Cincinnati three Ways. There you go, Damn, that's only in Cincinnati, only in Cincinnati, only in Cincinnati, and only in Cincinnati. Would you understand if you called your team the three ways? Would you be like, okay, We're perfectly fine with that here.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: Do you know someone, uh, someone bought a ticket worth a million dollars in Ohio? Yeah? Oh? Did you in Cincinnati?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: It was turned out to a big Kroger on Beachmont Avenue. What, yes, Well you mentioned this the other day.
Speaker 3: You said that, you said, you didn't say, you just said there was one that was sold in Ohio.
Speaker 2: Yes, we didn't know was Cincinnati at the time of time. Now it turns out it's the it's the Kroger on Beachmint ad was it?
Speaker 8: That?
Speaker 1: Is that the same story you bought your ticket? Well let me tell you this.
Speaker 2: Well, we had our family gavenue on Christmas Eve over my brother's house. My my sister gave copies of Powerball tickets to everyone Christmas gift. So so she bought a power Boy. I don't know there was an eight or nine numbers, I forget how many numbers one there but she said, if we win this, we're all we're all gonna split it. She bought that ticket at the Kroger on Beachmint Avenue. But it wasn't the ticket, not a single number, not.
Speaker 1: One, not even one.
Speaker 2: I think there was five or six numbers on there. And then when I heard it was sold on it at the Beachmine Avenue stores, I said, Mary Beth, where'd you buy that ticket? Well, I bought it a Kroger on Beachmine. I was like, oh my god. At that moment, you know, you're thinking, well, they could just happened. It could be us. So I looked, I looked, I got my copy out, not even not even one number, not one.
Speaker 1: That's tough.
Speaker 2: But but if you bought your tickets at the U, the Kroger on Beachmont Avenue, yes, check them out.
Speaker 1: Oh they don't know who they.
Speaker 2: I haven't seen it, haven't seen you, but you got it someone who bought it. The winner received seven hundred and twenty eight seven hundred and fifty dollars after twenty seven point one two five percent state and federal taxes. Name it and claim it. How about that?
Speaker 1: I'll take it. Seven hundred grand that's not bad.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's you see that that that right there. The fact that it was sold a store where you got your ticket, didn't that give you a little bit of hope?
Speaker 2: Uh well the future, not now, because it'll probably be another fifty years before it happened that store some another.
Speaker 1: But that I mean, that's like it can happened to me.
Speaker 2: You can't happen.
Speaker 1: This happened to someone in my.
Speaker 2: Neighbor because that group text was going around earlier today and we got to get out of here by the way. But she said, she said, I bought it at Kroger, but it didn't happen anyway. That's it for us, Audie. Who's coming up next? A little Bengals line coming up next, So stick around for that. In the meantime, we'll be back tomorrow and we hope to see you then. Here on the home of the reds WL.
Speaker 7: From the uc Health Traffic Center. From non invasive to surgical treatments, the uc Health Back Neck and Spine Center offers every option to improve quality of life with convenient locations across Greater Cincinnati and northern Kentucky. Learn more at ucehealth dot com. Roadways once again are accident free around town. Keep in mind, though construction works southbound on seventy five between Ronald Reagan Highway and Norwood Lateral, expect delays as you travel in through there. Otherwise two seventy five going from State Route thirty to an eastgate the seventy one, no delays, that'll take you fifteen minutes, and eastbound seventy four from the col Raine Split to seventy five, a ten minute drive. Again, no delays on that, He's sound like on news radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 2: Now the night first weather forecast. The wind advisory in effect for Cincinnati Dayton, Columbus, set to come to an end at six tonight, otherwise mostly cloudy. Tonight, continued windy. The overnight low nineteen mostly sunny, butt not warm. Tomorrow a high of only twenty eight, mostly cloudy. The overnight low twenty five Tuesday and Wednesday. And Wednesday is New Year's e it'll be mostly cloudy and a high of thirty five. It is a brisk twenty five at seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 4: All right, mister Pinney, I'm going to show you some images, and you tell me what do you see.
Speaker 11: That looks like Scott's Loan eating a meat loaf. And this one, I see George.
Speaker 1: Washington, Washington.
Speaker 11: Yeah, he's playing paper football with Scott's Loan. And this one, I see a man and a woman making love, but she wants him to hurry up so she can listen to Scott's Loan.
Speaker 2: Scott's Loan, You may become obsessed.
Speaker 9: Join me scott Sloan tomorrow morning at nine o'clock on seven hundred WLWS.
Speaker 4: You are a disturbed man.
Speaker 1: The party's just getting started.
Speaker 2: iHeartRadio and ABC bring you Dick Clark's New Year's Run