Speaker 1: The quest for the three pete has begun.
Speaker 2: Only four teams in Major League Baseball history have won three consecutive titles. The Dodgers are the favorites to become the fifth.
Speaker 1: This is World Champion Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: Here we go again.
Speaker 1: We're running back to get in on the show called eight six six, not eighty seven two five seven, and be sure to follow Dodger Talk wherever you get your podcasts. Here's your host, David Vase.
Speaker 3: The pitching matchup lived up to the hype.
Speaker 2: The marquee pitching matchup between Nolan McLain and Yoshi Yamamoto lived up to the hype as we got what we all paid for tonight as the Dodgers beat the Mets two to one, and after Yamamoto and McClain basically matched each other pitch for pitch. Welcome the Dodger Talk. David Vass with you until eleven o'clock to night. Eight six six nine, eight seven, two five seventy is the phone number. We have two lines open. I see the break lights in the parking lot. I know after the Dodgers win, nobody has anything to complain about, but how about celebrate what you have in this Dodger ball club the best record in baseball thirteen and four and can you believe they have not lost a game to a National League team?
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 2: The Dodgers' four losses are two American League teams. They lost two out of three to the Guardians at the end of March in early May on the last homestand they took two out of three from the Blue Jays, but the Blue Jays won a game. And they took two out of three from the Rangers earlier on this homestand and Jacob de Gram and the Rangers salage the final game of that series last Sunday. So the Dodgers are eight to zero against the National League and have the best record in baseball at thirteen. Now, I'm sure when you were listening last night and you hear me talking about, Hey, if you have, you.
Speaker 3: Know, I'm not going to say I told you so, but I told you so.
Speaker 2: Going back to Sunday, I said, if you were going to pick one game to come to on this homestand it would be this game tonight. If you had to pick one game to come to in this series, it would be tonight. Because two of the young bright Stars were going up against each other. Obviously, Yamamoto, twenty seven years old, more decorated than anything Nolan McClain has done in his professional career, going back to Japan and what he did in his first two years in Major League Baseball. I'm not trying to compare resumes, but the stuff and the future of these two young right handers is bright. And this is the first of many matchups that we will see between Yama Moto and Nolan McClain if we are lucky and they did not disappoint. Yama Moto gave up a leadoff home run to Francisco Lindor and then after that proceeded to retire the next twenty mets. Yama Moto, through one hundred and four pitches, got into the eighth inning, only got two outs, started to kind of run out of gas. Dave Roberts took him out. Nolan McClain threw ninety five pitches in seven innings. Carlos Mendoza did not send him back out for the eighth inning and it became a bullpen game. McClain was nasty tonight, eight strikeouts, two walks. Like I mentioned during the Clubhouse Show, Yamamoto's only mistake was.
Speaker 3: To Francisco Lindor. It was a home run.
Speaker 2: I would say the only mistake that Nolan McClain made was in the very first inning as well. That though, was a double to Will Smith, who actually was teammates with mc in Team USA and the World Baseball Classic. He caught McClain, so he had a better idea going into the game what he's looking at.
Speaker 3: But that was the only mistake.
Speaker 2: It was a fastball on the inner part of the play where Will Smith likes it, and he laysd the double, so he put runners at second and third. After the one out walk by Kyle Tucker and Freddie he hit a little dribbler up the first base line that got the run home, and that was the only run the Dodgers scored off of Nolan McClain. So it was everything we thought it would be. You think back to some of the great matchups of the eighties between the Dodgers and Mets. Dwight Gooden almost unhittable when the Dodgers would face him. That's why it was a miracle. Mike Sosha hit that game tying home run off of Dwight Gooden.
Speaker 3: In Game four the.
Speaker 2: Eighty eight NLCS and then Kirk Gibson won it in the twelfth inning with a home run. But that's how dominant Dwight Gooden was, and that's how dominant Nolan McClain was tonight as he went toe to toe with Yamamoto, the World Series MVP. After that, Blake Trenton did his job with two outs in the eighth inning, two on, he gets Luis Robert to strike out, and then we look into the bullpen and we don't see Edwin Diaz.
Speaker 3: We see Alex Vessia.
Speaker 2: Alex Vessia came in, struck out the side for his second save and second opportunity in this season with Edwin Diaz just nursing something that we can't get clarity on. But the reason why Diaz was not available he was throwing a bullpen at four o'clock this afternoon. Relievers don't throw bullpen sessions and then pitching this in a game that same night. So that's the reason why Vessia came in. And after tonight's game, we had a chance to catch up with Kyle Tucker, who had his biggest hit as a Dodger tonight, driving in the go ahead run on in the eighth inning, and then Alex Vesia walked up to me gave me a chest pound. He was pumped up and wanted to share the emotions of the night with us as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was a good one. You know, both you know, starters through a phenomenal game and yeah, I'm just gave us all you had right there and through a phenomenal game for us, just to keep us in it. Obviously ended up winning this game, so it was good all around.
Speaker 2: When you're facing a guy like McClain who's doing what he's done in his young career, are you just hoping to get that pitch count up and see who blinks first.
Speaker 4: I mean I've never faced him before. I've just watched him on TV and stuff and just some of our scout report. But I mean he's a good picture, you know, pitchball last year and he started off this year hot. So we just try to grind out that bass, just try and take what we could and just try and get to him. I mean, he threw a phenomenal game today, but luckily we came out with the winner right there at the end.
Speaker 2: You're one of the best left candied hitters against the left handed pitchers when you're facing Brooks, Really, what the approach there? Are you just looking for a specific pitch in the zone.
Speaker 4: I mean, he's pretty over the plate for the most part. I mean he's a good pitcher, he's you know, had a great career and he's doing a phenomenal job for them. And I was just trying to get something over the plate I could try and hit, and you know, luckily enough it went over with shots head over a third dropped in for a run right there. So worked out well for us.
Speaker 3: How did that moment feel at this stadium? Your first big moment as a Dodger?
Speaker 1: That was nice.
Speaker 4: I mean, anytime you get a hit, especially when when a ball games is huge, hopefully there's a lot more of those come.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 2: So, Tucker, don't let what everybody else says get into your head.
Speaker 3: You got a lot more season to go, yep, a lot a lot more games ago. Thanks Tug, Thanks for stopping it.
Speaker 4: Thanks appreciate it.
Speaker 2: There he goes, Kyle Tucker with a go ahead hit tonight. And how about my guy Alex Vesia?
Speaker 3: What up there? He is the man with the second save.
Speaker 2: Of the season, who did you point to at the end of the game.
Speaker 5: Uh, so I have tonight, my wife and I I've put together all the nurses and staff that have helped us through one of the you know, the hardest times of our lives, and yeah, they were here tonight. There's twenty seven thirty nurses and doctors, and you know, we just wanted to give back to them because they've they've helped us out more ways than one.
Speaker 3: And tonight was very special, very special, Dave Hey, That's what you do.
Speaker 2: You compete, and you had the presence of mind to have gratitude.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, absolutely can't. Can't take this game for granted. I go out, I give it my all and tonight was a great a great team.
Speaker 3: Win, no doubt. Thanks for stopping. You know, we love you, love you, Dave.
Speaker 7: Hey.
Speaker 3: We love alex Vesia.
Speaker 2: LA's put their arms around him and his wife and certainly just a great start to the season for alex Vesia, who still has not given up a run to begin this year. Another scoreless sounding for alex Vesia. He now has seven in a third scoreless innings this season, and has posted eight and a third scoreless innings going back to last September in the regular season. Tonight, the Dodgers pitching staff, with Yamamoto leading the way, had eleven strikeouts tonight. It's the sixth time this year with eleven or more strikeouts of the opponents. So a great pitch night tonight by the Dodgers, coming off a great start by Justin Robleski last night. Tonight, the Dodgers beat the Mets two to one, coming off eight scoreless innings from Robleski last night to shut out the Mets fourd to nothing. New York has only scored one run in their last twenty nine innings. Let's go out to the phones for the first time tonight. Let's hear the celebration of your Dodgers, who are living up to the hype and the expectations themselves.
Speaker 3: Kent, you're on Dodger Talk. Lead us off.
Speaker 8: Thanks breaking out here. Great to be on. We really enjoy your show. And yeah they email it. You know it was all the pitching performances were off the charts. Is at the game and I driving home right now, and I mean just got what we expected with from the starter, but all the pitchers cross the board just you know, pitch lights out the the uh, you know, the batters of battling. But even Kyle at the main hit, you know he's fought off a good pitch. But you know, my my indie point is you know, seeing Alex come in in the ninth day for the Dodgers said that he has it's what a great what a great death we have, you know, it's it's just so awesome to have. You know, you got your your main gun to guy out and you can count on a guy like Bessie here to come in and shut him down. I mean, he made them all like silly.
Speaker 3: You know, it was great, you really did.
Speaker 2: And the one thing that I love and thank you for the phone call, Ken is Alex Vessie actually was our pregame yesterday and he echoed the same sentiments that Kershaw used to talk about throughout his entire career. He talked about going on the mound and maybe some nights not having your best stuff or having the giddya up on your fastball, but competing finding a way to get through it. He actually told me yesterday maybe there were three games all of last year where he came into sixty something games during the regular season. He told me, only three of them. Did he feel like he had his perfect stuff tonight? He was throwing a lot of sliders. The fastball velosity isn't as high as it will be during the summer. He explained to me that traditionally April, the fastball velosity isn't there, and then it starts to ramp up as the season rams up. But he competes, he figures it out, finds a way to get three outs, and that's what he did tonight, striking out the side in order, including getting Bob Bishett to strike out swinging for the second out of that ninth inning. So just a tremendous guy and just the evolution watching Vessia from basically an unknown. When they made the trade with the Marlins sending Dylan Floral to Miami in twenty twenty one after winning the World Series him having a big strikeout in the World Series of Randio Rose Arena, they trade Dylan Floral for an unknown left handed reliever, and it was not a linear path for Alex Vessia. He was sent down several times his first couple of years with the Dodgers until he figured it out and now look at him six years in three hundred and three appearances with the Dodgers, and he's one of the leaders of that bullpen. And remember in twenty twenty four they had the Moniker, the nickname of the bullpen dogs. He embodies all of that to this day, and so does Blake Trinon, who you know, he was much maligned last year.
Speaker 3: Look at him now.
Speaker 2: He's bounced back and certainly wants to prove a lot of doubt is wrong as well. Let's go back out to the phones, Eric in Hollywood, you're on Dodger Talk. How you doing, Eric, God?
Speaker 9: Jered dig Sure, Oh, back to back. Chanion's looking good, DV much loved to Rojas and his family. Man tough, tough thing, but he's a warrior going out there in battling. And you know, on the same aspect this year. Man, you're all heart bro taking care of the staff at the hospital. Man, love you brother. I mean, that's that's a big shout out to him. What a tragic thing. But he's making the best of it and he's got the biggest heart out there. And I think that we're gonna ride that all the way through this this series. And U deVie, give me something, man, let me know what's up with Tucker? My Dodger tex chain is just not feeling them. Man, give me something, Man, let me know that he's gonna turn this around. Let me know that this is just a little hiccup.
Speaker 2: Well did you see him tonight? He drove in the go ahead run in the eighth inning. He won the game for them tonight offensively.
Speaker 6: Bro.
Speaker 9: I'm his bro, I'm his biggest fan. I'm just waiting for him to turn it around, you know what I.
Speaker 3: Mean, He'll turn it on. Don't worry.
Speaker 2: It's early and Eric, I guarantee that your text chain will not remember anything that Kyle Tucker did in April or May, as every player on this team is very aware of. It's how you perform down the stretch and into October. So you want to do well in April and May. But if you if it's not as hot as it will be in September and October, people won't remember any of this.
Speaker 9: Oh Man, DV You know, Man, I am the biggest worriest word and you always talk me off the ledge all the time.
Speaker 5: Bro.
Speaker 9: So, But I believe in Tucker. Man, I like his game. I just don't think this spotlight is bright in La. Man, it's super bright. And I know you said he's not going to have to put in a lot, but it's bright on him. So I know it's going to be a little bit till he turns it around.
Speaker 6: But god, man, we look dv We look great.
Speaker 9: But I'm not going to get out of hand yet. And I'm saying anything crazy like blah blah blah, But all I simply want to say is that we look fantastic. The team was great, Okay, all.
Speaker 2: Right, Eric, I agree, best record in baseball without Mookie Betts, without Tommy Edmond, without Brock Stewart, without Blake Snell, and Evan Phillips will be coming back in the second half of the season. Take in inventory of all that, and look, you know Tucker has gotten off to a slow start.
Speaker 3: Is he pressing? Maybe a little.
Speaker 2: Bit, But I just feel like he hasn't got into a good feel so far.
Speaker 3: And it happens sometimes.
Speaker 2: It happens at the beginning of the year, it'll happen in the middle of the year, it'll happen at the end of the year. But I know the Dodger players that are in the same lineup with him have been impressed by the quality of that bats that he's had, and tonight we're talking about him on a night that he drove in the go ahead run in the eighth inning.
Speaker 3: And Eric brought up.
Speaker 2: Miguel Rojas, who was spectacular all around last night. How about him coming off the bench tonight for Hayesan Kim against the lefty Brooks Raley, the World Series hero works a leadoff walk to get that inning going. Santiago Espinal comes off the bench for Freeland and lays down a perfect sacrifice bunt to get Rojas into scoring position, and that puts the ball in Mendoza's court. To make a decision on Otani. Are you gonna walk him or are you gonna pitch to him? He decided to put up four fingers. So he faced a guy in Tucker that is not hot right now, and Tucker made him pay for it. Give a gif Tucker all the credit because Brooks Raley has been pitching well for the Mets so far at the beginning of this year. Eight six six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Mets two to one. Blake trun in the win. Alex Vesia the say Brooks Raley, the lost Francisco Lindor with the leadoff home run, and then after that, Yamamoto retired the next twenty in a row. If you're wondering about Edwin Diaz, I meant at the beginning of the show mention it during the Clubhouse show. If you were paying attention earlier today, Diaz was throwing a bullpen session around four o'clock this afternoon, And when a relief pitcher throws a bullpen session, he's not going to pitch that same night. So the trainers wanted to see it. From what I've been told, it came. It went well. So the proof will be if there's a safe situation tomorrow, if Diaz is warming up in the bullpen to save the game against his former team in the New York Mets. Eight six six seven two five seventy is the phone number. Tonight's game brought to you by Modello Modello the Mark of a Fighter. We're gonna take a time out here on Dodger Talk. When we continue, Jose Moto will check in. Plus, we'll let you hear from Mooki Betts had a chance to catch up with Mooki Betts.
Speaker 3: We'll let you know about.
Speaker 2: What's going on at first base as well. Who would play for space if the Dodgers dare give Freddy Freeman a day off? And also a former Dodger that is headed to the Hall of Fame had a milestone night in Motown tonight. The Dodgers beat the Mets two to one on a five seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 1: Dodger Talk is available on AM five seventy LA sports dot com, hand on the iHeartRadio app. Back to more Dodger Talk with Dodger insider David Vasse.
Speaker 6: Dodgers one Mets one, bottom of the eighth, first and second, one out, Kyle.
Speaker 1: Tucker at the plate.
Speaker 3: The pitch Tucker jam clear in the.
Speaker 1: Left field, hit books out for ahead, Here's Rojas.
Speaker 8: He scores and Kyle Tucker.
Speaker 10: Hun ties it.
Speaker 2: King Tuck with his biggest hit as a Dodger. You're in the eighth inning with one out. He gives the Dodgers the lead two to one. That would be the final score as the Dodgers win the first two games of the series against the struggling New York Mets. The Mets have lost seven in a row and now I've only scored one run in their last twenty nine innings, Francisco Lindor hit a leadoff home run that was the only one the Mets got off of Yama Moto. As the two great starting pitchers tonight both got a no decision. Blake trying to win, Vesia the save and Brooks Raley takes the loss. Daniel Jewlers presents the home run Forecast for your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jewelers gift card visit a five to seventy LA sports dot Com used the keyword home run. Daniels Jewelers own the Dream. Eight six six eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. A game that only took two hours and three minutes. The last time the dodg had that short of a game was against the Rays on August twenty fifth, twenty twenty four. The Dodgers beat Tampa Bay that night three to one. That game also two hours and three minutes, a night that Gavin Stone took the mound for the Dodgers. Let's go out to shamsee who was at the game tonight? Hi Shamsee, You're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 7: Hi Dave, I was like Kelly.
Speaker 2: I mean everybody asks me that, sham See, and I say, you know, this is too good to be true, hosting Dodger Talk with the best team in baseball coming off back to back World Series wins. I mean, who has a better job or life than I have?
Speaker 3: These days?
Speaker 7: I really don't think anyone. I think you got the best one. But yeah, I was at the game last or tonight. It's my birthday tomorrow, and I was like, ah, last minute, I'll buy a ticket, and my friend was down to go with me.
Speaker 9: Hey Lily, and yeah, it was incredible.
Speaker 7: I wasn't expecting, uh pictures. Yama was pitching, but I didn't know it was going to be this closet. And I'm so grateful because I love a pitcher's duel. So it was fantastic and I'm so glad I got to see Ves. Yeah, with everything he's been there, he's been one of my favorite players since he got started with the Dodgers, and I'm just really glad to see him doing well with everything going on. And yeah, it was really great.
Speaker 2: So, uh, now you know who Nolan McClain is, right, sham See, I think you'll know who Nolan McLain is the rest of the rest of the season.
Speaker 9: An amazing Yeah, he did an amazing job, but.
Speaker 6: We were better.
Speaker 7: So that's kind of the best outside looking forward to, looking forward to future, you know, games against him, I'm sure they'll he'll be great for the Mets, but I'm really I'm really proud of the Dodgers and I'm hoping we go for that three piece.
Speaker 2: So all right, can't wait to have you back at the ballpark, shamp See. Thanks a lot for and go Dodgers.
Speaker 7: Yeah, go Dodgers.
Speaker 2: Thanks Dave, all right, Thanks SYAMSI thanks for calling in appreciate it. Hey, I feel like a lot of Dodger fans live in their Dodger World bubble and they don't know that, you know, there's other good players on other teams, maybe not as many as on the Dodgers, but Nolan McClain is probably the one shining star for the Mets right now, considering they've lost seven in a row, They're now seven and eleven on the season. Juan Soto is not going to be back for them anytime soon, and the Dodgers handed them their seventh straight loss, and their offense has been abysmal to start the year. After letting Pete Alonso, a Mets fan favorite, go to Baltimore, trade Brandon Nimmo, who's hitting three sixty something to the Rangers for an ag Marcus Simeon, who is I guess playing good defense at second base, even though he blew a play last night.
Speaker 3: He just not the same guy either.
Speaker 2: So you know, like I said last night, it's one thing to hype up this series with a billion dollars of payroll between these two teams, But you look at the Dodgers roster compared to the Mets roster, and you wonder where did that half billion dollars go? Where did the Mets? I'm looking for it. Where did they spend it? Taylor Tremmel, how much did they give him? Mark Vientos, did they give him?
Speaker 8: What?
Speaker 2: Fifty million? They just throw fifty million at anybody. Boba Schett forty million for one year after losing out on Kyle Tucker and losing out on Edwin dis Jorge polonco A DH hitting one ninety two. I just I think there's a huge difference between the way these two organizations are run, and it's evident by the sustained success the Dodgers have had eight sixty six nine seven two five seventy is the phone number coming up in a moment you'll hear from Mookie Betts.
Speaker 1: But first it's time to go around the horn with Jose Mota.
Speaker 2: What a night for the Dodgers Jose Mota, Yama Moto versus Nolan McClain.
Speaker 3: It was a.
Speaker 2: Spectacular old school pitchers duel. How exciting was it for you to call a game like tonight?
Speaker 6: It's great day because it's so easy to call a game when you know it's eight to one and all the offenses rolling and things like that. But I was telling Louis in the broadcast, these are the games really get the most out of us because you're anticipating either a play or a non play being made a strategy to win the ball game. Because these both of these guys are on and you said it right, this was the game to watch for baseball. These guys are going to be around for a long time. And they pitched very similarly. I mean, it was a porn with had the assam amount of pitches out in the same amount of benings. The stracoups were there just retiring the size in order one, two, three, and just also the efficiency and how they spread the word with their with their pitches day it was like, oh he's fast aall away here. It is both very unpredictable and certainly executing, mainly down in the zone, which is a throwback type of game, and it really paid off for both of them.
Speaker 2: How about that split fingered fastball for Yamamoto tonight, eleven swings and misses. He threw it thirty eight times tonight.
Speaker 6: And the one thing where Yamamoto is that he found out last season, as he was explaining to me, and one of the pieces with him for your social is he has to throw it hard day. He cannot let it fall like Sasaki does. He has to throw it hard because he goes. I want my wrist to be loose. Sometimes I throw its a little bit stiffer, but I need to keep my arm speed the same for two reasons. Number one is to not let up and not miss by mcafic apathetical he is. Number two is so the hitters always reading one velocity with a arm, and it's much harder to go out there and guess so at ninety one when he you know, averages round, that's somebody's fastball. Right there, but with dips at the very last minute, it's very hard to go out there and barrels.
Speaker 2: Jose Mota is joining us on Dodger Talk after the Dodgers beat the Mets two to one. Kyle Tucker, we just got a call about when is he gonna snap out of it? I feel like you get a hit like you did in the eighth inning, all of a sudden, you're you're feeling a little more relaxed.
Speaker 3: Even if you're Kyle Tucker.
Speaker 6: Oh, you sleep so much better. There's a big weight up your shoulders. This guy's gonna hit. I was talking to your friends today, you know, Fred Rogan and Roger Pete. This guy's gonna find a way to get it done. Yeah, your buddies, those guys. Yeah, and they're asking about is it a person is it a pressure? I go, this guy has nothing to do with pressure of the contract. He's not that type of guy. Okay, of course he wants to do well, but he's simplify things by saying things like, hey, I need to just kick the ball up the middle a little bit more. Can slang it's been streaky. I mean, really, one time is off the end of the bat off the label. Well, you know what, off the label usually gets you back to where you need to be, much easier than trying to cheat to hit home muns. And that's one thing with him. It's not like he's having best winging because he's trying to go deep. He just not pay in time all the time. But you know what, he's the entire bat does a big basit against a left, against a guy that who has been really good and for good like Tucker Day, it's an easy decision obviously for the manager. No matter who's hitting behind that guy like Shoe Hail Tani, you gotta get beat by somebody else besides Utania. That situation of per Tuck through the years, he has been very very good against less than a relievers, let alone, let's been the pitching in his career.
Speaker 2: Well that's what makes the Dodgers lineup so tough to navigate. You pass on Otani, you got Tucker, You pass on Tucker, You got Will Smith, you pass on Will Smith, you got Fred Freeman. So there's nowhere to hide in that situation. And I think you heard the difference in personalities. You have Alex Vessia pounding me really hard. On the chest after Kyle Tucker walks up to me calmly and says, what's up.
Speaker 3: That was fun?
Speaker 2: I mean that that's the difference in contrast of how two players that got it done go about it differently.
Speaker 6: That's what it makes uh that you know that culture of the club hells and the many flags and many languages and many everything there's there's talked them there about how it works, and think about the dollars and whis in which they're winning days. It wasn't about this wending today. It was about competing against a very good pitcher. And the way you'd be good pitching is the same formula. You pitch well so your offense has a chance to score in the very minimum and today the very first inning, that was your opportunity. And Freddie Freeman does one thing he needed to do there, well play, and I was paid off. You see it's going first and not first inning and matching up with Endor's home run.
Speaker 3: Hey, doesn't get any easier. The Mets.
Speaker 2: The Dodgers got the right guy on the mound tomorrow night to go for the sweep, a guy by the name of show Heyo Tani. It should be a fun night tomorrow night as well.
Speaker 6: It should be the big kipch Moshi. You know one thing, will Tani though, If somebody does well ahead of him on the mat or home played, it's like I'm not gonna be out done, So look for sure to do big things tomorrow. Hopefully goes out and give you seven and keeps a bullpet aligned. So nice a right now the way with guy's really spotting nice into their spots out of the bullpen.
Speaker 3: All right, Jose, we'll look forward to it tomorrow night.
Speaker 2: We'll see whether or not Edwin Diaz makes an appearance as well, so we'll check in with you tomorrow night as well.
Speaker 6: Of course, good.
Speaker 2: Night, there he goes Jose Mota, part of the Dodgers Spanish radio broadcast, And yeah, Otani has seen Robleski go eight scoreless innings. He saw Yamamoto get into the eighth inning tonight seven and two thirds innings. So on Jackie Robinson Day Show, Hey Otani on the national television stay will be taking the mound against the Mets as.
Speaker 3: The Dodgers look for the sweep. Now.
Speaker 2: Earlier today, Mookie Betts was going through some drills with strength and Conditioning coach Travis Smith, and after he was done with that, nobody's really checked in with Mookie to see where he's at in the recovery of this oblique strain that was not supposed to be very serious. So had a chance to catch up with Mooki earlier today as he was coming off the field.
Speaker 11: I'm able to throw run. I feel it, but it's not that bad. Haven't started hitting yet, but we're doing like medball throws. So we want to get fully comfortable with like throwing the med ball and like not having really any hesitation with that before we start swinging, just because I don't want to start developing bad habits because I'm scared to swing, you know. So, But I mean, with all that being said, I mean things are great. I mean, it's just an oblique and it's gonna take It's gonna take time.
Speaker 2: Do you only do you feel it still in everyday life or just in certain movements?
Speaker 11: No, just when I start doing like sports stuff. I mean, you know, everyday life no is way better. And I mean now it's now, I'm pretty normal. It's just when I get here and I start having to do like sports specific stuff is when I start feeling it. It's not that it hurts. I mean, it's not that it hurts, it's just that you feel it. And the more you you don't really want to you don't want to feel it, because the more you feel it, it's it's the means it's still healing, and any quick movements from there can just re re injure it and then it's then run a much worse spot.
Speaker 2: And the Dodgers have the best record in baseball. They're still rolling even without Mookie Bets in the lineup. They're thirteen and four. No need to rush it, because, as you know, the bigger picture is in play here and any sport, whether it's the NBA, the NFL, or Major League Baseball, oblique injury you want to be extra careful with, and the Dodgers are always on the more cautious side with any injury to any of their players. So it doesn't seem like Mookie Betts is coming back anytime soon. And when I say soon, not on the upcoming road trip, especially with the Dodgers playing four games for the first time this year in Denver and then three games in San Francisco. They come back home, they keep playing thirteen in a row.
Speaker 3: After the day off.
Speaker 2: They got thirteen in a row when they come off that travel day to Denver. So let's see where it sat after this road trip and whether or not he's swinging a bat. When he's swinging a bat, that's an inclination that he's getting close, but right now he's not. Another observation from earlier today, Dalton Rushing and Santiago Espinal were taking a lot of ground balls and.
Speaker 3: Throws at first base.
Speaker 2: The reason why I bring that up is, like I just mentioned, the Dodgers are going to Denver for four games, not even just a three game series.
Speaker 3: Four games.
Speaker 2: Maybe the Dodgers are thinking, this is the time to give Freddie Freeman a day off right thirty six years old, high altitude, give Dalton Rushing a chance to play first base. He could catch, he could play first base. You get Freddie off his feed at the high altitude. That could be part of the thinking of seeing, really for the first time all year long, Rushing and Espinal taken as many throws from other infielders keik Hernandez across the diamond to them taking ground balls. So I saw Rushing in Toronto, you know, alternating with Freddie Freeman at first base as well, and coming into the season, the Dodgers said that, yeah, Rushing's other position will be first base. If there's a blowout or if they want to give Freddy a day off, he would be the guy. So maybe that's coming around on this upcoming road trip in a place that is unforgiving with any little thing that you're feeling, or with guys that are thirty six, thirty seven years old, eight six six nine eighty seven, two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to uh our guy g Man in Pasadena.
Speaker 3: How you doing g Man.
Speaker 12: Days.
Speaker 13: It's been a couple of weeks since we last talked, so I want to talk about the game, but I also have another Dodger nugget story for you. I don't know, I appreciate your enthusiasm of how well they're playing right now, but.
Speaker 9: It's it's really just the beginning of the season.
Speaker 13: I want them to be like bad men yet you know September.
Speaker 6: Not now.
Speaker 2: Well, they're not even playing their best baseball right now. That's what's even more incredible.
Speaker 13: I agree with you, I agree with do so. Anyways, so my nugget last time I gave you.
Speaker 2: And oh, yeah, you're the guy that said that he showed up at your friend's house and he signed an autograph for you, and you wouldn't get into how he got there. Yeah, is it like a part two to the story.
Speaker 8: No, this is just a different story.
Speaker 6: So you know Dot loves to play golf.
Speaker 13: Okay, you know Doc, you know you're a duc's member of now right, correct.
Speaker 2: I mean, let's not get into this personal stuff. I'd rather just keep it on the field unless it's going to be entertaining.
Speaker 13: Okay, no, no, But the cool thing is that I met Doc somewhere and he like, Hi, I'm Dave Roberts. I'm like, of course, it's your Dave Roberts.
Speaker 12: He's just the nicest man.
Speaker 13: So anyway, that's that's it.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 13: Well, yeah, I met him and it was great.
Speaker 8: He's just he was like, make you row.
Speaker 6: He's just the nicest guy.
Speaker 8: It's just unbelievable.
Speaker 12: These guys are just like.
Speaker 13: Sports icons and they're just the nicest people.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's a good point to the story. Thank you, g Man, appreciate it. Can't wait for the next story. Wait a couple of more weeks eight sixty six nine eighty seven two five seventy is the phone number. I mean, Dave Roberts is a very accessible guy. And yeah, he when you meet him wherever you are, he's a great guy. He'll definitely show you a lot of a lot of love. He's not gonna blow you off at the golf course or wherever else.
Speaker 3: Especially the golf course.
Speaker 2: You can't blow anybody off of the golf course because you're gonna see them at the next hole and then you're gonna see them later and later on in the day. Even Barry Bonds might not do that. Maybe Bonds, but that's it all right. Before we say goodnight, I have to give some love to our guy ken Lee Janssen, who is still the all time saves leader in Dodger franchise history. He saved three hundred and fifty saves, three hundred and fifty games for the Dodgers. That's how many saves Kenley Jansen had wearing a Dodger uniform. He was signed, he was developed, he was converted from a catcher to a pitcher thanks to Charlie Huff, Kenny Howell, Rick Honeycut, and then he turned into one of the best closers of our generation. Tonight he passed Lee Smith for the third most saves in baseball history. Think about that. Ken Lee Jansen now is behind Mariano Rivera and Trevor Hoffman for the third most saves in baseball history. He did it tonight wearing a Tiger's uniform till out.
Speaker 3: In the year straight.
Speaker 10: Away bye as Tarte Timers win. That's four in a row and ken Ley Janssen is alone in third place in all time Major League saves.
Speaker 2: The Tigers beat the Royals two to one, and ken Lee Janssen saves his four hundred and seventy ninth career game, passing Hall of Famer Lee Smith. That was Jason Bennetti on the Tigers Television network on the call, and I felt, especially towards the end of Kenley's career, he was sorely taken for granted. So many people thought his career was over. And I know he's pitched for a few different teams, including the Tigers now after pitching for the Angels, he had a great year last year, had a better year than Devin Williams last year and better year than Raycial and Glacias. And he pitched for the Braves, the Red Sox, and now he's pitching for the Tigers, and people want to believe that he's done or he just doesn't have it. And here he is a four hundred and six nine career saves. He's well on his way to achieving five hundred saves this year. Kenley Jansen on his way to the Hall of Fame. And I don't know how he goes into Cooperstown wearing any other hat than the LA on his hat for the Dodgers. After so many great moments, so many great years, and pitching more years with the Dodgers than any other team, and having three hundred and fifty saves, he is certainly.
Speaker 3: A Hall of Famer.
Speaker 2: And congratulations to Kennley Jansen, who gave us so many great moments with the Dodgers. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Dodgers beat the Mets tonight two to one. Blake Trining gets the win, Alex Vesia his second save of the season as the Dodgers come back for the eighth time this year. That's the most in Major League Baseball this year. Eight comeback wins to beat the Mets two to one after Francisco Lindor hit a hit a leadoff home run off of Yama Moto. After that, Yama Moto did not budge, and the Dodgers improved their record over the National League to eight and oh, the Dodgers have not lost a game to a National League team this year. Let's take one more phone call before we say good night. Tank was at the ballpark tonight. Hi, Tank, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 12: What's up, David V? Tank? How you doing?
Speaker 8: Brother?
Speaker 3: Everything's great?
Speaker 12: Okay, yeah, oh yeah, I saw you.
Speaker 3: On my way out.
Speaker 2: I saw you on my way out after we did the interview with Tucker and uh Investia.
Speaker 3: I remember you.
Speaker 12: That's right, yeah, fis tunas you. We had the old Tony ring on good times, brother, so real quick.
Speaker 3: You had pretty good seats.
Speaker 12: Oh yeah yeah. I'm out there in the dugout quite a bit, you know, but.
Speaker 2: You had you had better seats than the last UCLA basketball coach men's basketball coach to win the national championship. Jim Herrick was sitting behind you, I.
Speaker 12: Know, right, yeah, yeah, last time. We had a comedian out there last night. But after a fourth you know, the game last night and then tonight's pitcher's dual. Man, you couldn't ask for nothing better than that. You know, was that twenty twenty consecutive pootouts?
Speaker 1: Right there?
Speaker 8: Was it?
Speaker 12: I think he was. I want to say, was it twenty from Yamamoto?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yamamoto retired twenty in a row after the leadoff home run.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 12: Man, phenomenal and just to be there. You know, the crowd was nice. You know, there was no giveaway tonight and we still had a nice crowd out there. It was electric. The team was you know, they're just they're on a row right now. It's next man up. If someone doesn't come through, someone else will. You know, it's just this team is. It's gritty.
Speaker 2: Hey, Dodger Stadium is the place to be, Tank, You know that Dodger Stadium is the place to be these days in.
Speaker 12: La Absolutely, man, every now you never know what's gonna happen. You don't leave early, you know what I mean? You come early, you stay late. You enjoy it, you know I love it.
Speaker 3: Stay late. You can't stay here.
Speaker 2: You don't have to go home, but you can't stay here, Tank, you can't stay here that late.
Speaker 12: I'm the last one to leave.
Speaker 8: I'm in the dugout.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess you are at the bar a little bit too late there, Big Brat Nelson down there at the Lexus Club, taking care of you really well tonight, all right, Tank, I knew I knew that call was going a little bit too long.
Speaker 3: Hey, that's a great way to end the show.
Speaker 2: It is getting closer to midnight, and it was great to have my guy Sam from downy Hunday out here for batting practice. He also got to meet Dave Roberts, and Dave Roberts was nice to him too. Dave Roberts is a nice guy. That's not breaking news when he meets the fans anyway. Thanks to Coliny, who's a great guy as well. If you ever see him on the golf course, he'll be great to you. Dwayne McDonald out here with a team issued hoodie, still has not gone to Uniclo to upgrade his wardrobe.
Speaker 3: Thanks to you for listening.
Speaker 2: In case he missed any of the show, you know where to find it on the iHeartRadio app. And tomorrow night another event at Dodger Stadium show Hey o'tani making the start against the Mets looking for the sweep. On Jackie Robinson Day going up against Clay Holmes of the Mets. Our coverage begins at six o'clock with first pitch at seven to ten. It should be a special night, a nationally televised broadcast.
Speaker 3: Joe buck orl Herscheizer.
Speaker 2: Ron, Darling Buster only on ESPN, and we got our guys every damn night, Rick Monday and Steven Nelson right here on Dodgers Radio and five seventy LA Sports. Jackie Robinson Night at Dodgers Stadium always special. And o'tani on the mound, We'll talk to you tomorrow, coming up next to guy that loves chicken tenders more than he loves the game.
Speaker 3: N Mallor on Fox Sports Radio is next. Dodgers beat the Mets two to one. See them.
Speaker 2: That's