Speaker 1: You don't want to be an American flony back on seven hundred WLW. There's nothing like a sleep when it's pouring rain outside, so it just makes you sleep more. The only problem with that is you got to get you gotta get up right, and it was a slow move today for me. Might be with you as well. We have horrible news, of course with the fire we'll get more than that'll bit later on in Warren County, but also the follow up from the mass shooting at Riverfront Live over the weekend. Nine people shot, hundreds traumatized, and the man now accused of pulling the trigger could walk free on a fifty thousand dollars bond. He's climbing self defense and the mayor is furious. The question, though, is why didn't prosecutors asked to keep him locked up in the first place? On that is attorney defense attorney, constitutional expert and all around decent guy, Steve Gooden, Steve, how you doing, buddy, A good good boyd SUSU. So we got the case of Frenny Cobb. He's twenty four years old, arrested on a single felonious assault charge in connection with the shooting nine people twenty injured in the stampede. The judge set bonded fifty thousand dollars. Cobb is a convicted fellow illegally barred from having a firearm. He was just in jail, got out of prison and picked up a gun and went and shot an individual in the crowd at this event on Saturday. He's had two prior weapon under disability convictions before the shooting, including one just a year ago, and only served twelve months before his release. Steve, at what point does the systems repeated leniency in this whole restorative justice thing and bail reform towards an armed repeat offender across judicial discretion into just absolute negligence Because it feels like this is negligent to me.
Speaker 2: Well, look, this was a complete failure of the system on multiple levels. And there's a lot to unpack here, but one thing I do want to make clear, thank god, that looks as of the US Attorney's Office has stepped in with federal charges. They slapped what's called a federal holder on these two gentlemen, both of whom I guess there was a straight up gun battle the you, and it looks as though that they're not going anywhere thanks to the intervention of the FBI and the US Attorney's office, so that at least, you know, they have rectified the situation, at least from the moment they are facing federal weapons churages now that they could carry up to fifteen years each. So that's good news. The bad news is, you're right, there's no way either of these guys should have been getting out on any kind of a low bond. And you know, the saying is, you know, a success as many fathers, but failures and orphans. Here the failure has many many fathers. It looks as though the prosecutors and the police officers look forward with a single count of coolonious assault. It looks clear to me that at this point they know there was a gun battle, but there seems to be a no nine people shot, twenty others injured, but there seems to be a lack of clarity at this point in the investigation as to who shot whom. So it looks as though they threw this kind of placeholder charge out. That was mistake number one. You know, it didn't carry the gravity or really communicate the gravity of what happened. And then number two we do have judges, and I've dealt with this judge before, Bernard Monday. He's actually overall a really good judge. But there are a lot of judges in this courthouse right now that have this ideological bent. They don't believe in cash bond. They think it's unfair that people like you and I who have means, if we are accused of a crime, that we can go get a put our house up, or have access sell stock and post a bond. They think it's fundamentally unfair that people who don't have means are being held in jail. It's an ideological thing that has nothing to do whatsoever with the facts of a case. And it got so bad in Hamilton County. If you recall about three or four years ago, Judge Megan Shanahan, he's now in the High Supreme Court, actually put forward a statewide issue requiring judges to consider public safety is an issue in the posting or setting of cash bonds in addition to their ability to pay, which is like sort of the progressive democratic focus. It's always the ability to pay, not public safety. So there's a requirement these judges have. It's in the Ohio Constitution. Now imposed by the voters that they should look at public safety above all else, and that clearly just didn't happen here. So a fifty thousand dollars bond conceivably posted, you know, a ten percent, which is the standard I thing here. So someone could post five thousand dollars cash of walk out on some sort of an ankle bracelet. You know, that's a really bad, bad thing. And you know, back when I was a prosecutor, we viewed this very very differently twenty years ago. Not only were you trying to protect the public, but you also wanted to protect the defendant because you know, in the in the immediate aftermath of some big public shooting like this, you know, there tends to be victims' families looking for them too. It's in society's interests. They were interested everyone for them to sit. Look, if there's something flawed about this case and it turns out that got the wrong guys, you know, this will be presented at the grand jury within ten days.
Speaker 3: Anyway, they'll be out of the worl thing.
Speaker 2: That happens here is that someone who is credibly accused of a mass shooting sits in jail for ten days while the authority sorted out that's something that is not offensive to our system, or to society or anything of the sort. And it's just common sense. And this is the kind of stuff again that makes people look at this and shake their head. And it's fascinating to me that even the mayor. Wait, and the mayor is out there. The mayor was somebody who was really really bragged about remaking the carhouse and pushing these things and then attacked cash bonds and look.
Speaker 1: I remember that that isn't that irony. I don't want to say delicious, because you know this is such a serious crime. Steve Gooden, But here's a guy who campaigned on restorative justice bond reform. We've got to be better, a gentler. We can't punch down, we've got to treat people better. Okay, great, And now he's in the podium saying, how the hell could this person get out in the fifty thousand dollars buck It's because you and I said progressive push for this, That's all.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's absolutely read. I read this quote, Diomas. You know, I think I still have a cell phone here somewhere else. Was going to text it it welcome to the party now, like we will have been saying this for years, and look, this is just in This is one of those things that's been out there for about ten to fifteen years on the progress among progressive politicians that drives people, not just one of these things. It's an article of faith on that side.
Speaker 3: And you know, like the way I try to explain.
Speaker 2: It to my my democratic friends is like this, and like you know how in seeing some people feel when you talk to a hardcore conservative and say, guys, look, we believe in gun rights, but we don't you think we should have some gun control. Maybe you shouldn't be able to carry an A forty seven out in public or AK forty seven in public, and they say, no, no, no, no, it's got to be it's all or nothing. That's how Democrats sound when you win common sense. People talk about balbell or form. Well, it's just fundamentally unfair that rich people can postpond and well, no, actually, when you look at the facts of the matter, when someone commits a violent offense, there ought to be an ability to hold on to them. And frankly, in the federal system there is no cash bond. You have what's called a detention hearing where a magistrate, a federal magistrate, looks at the facts of the case and if you're caught with a bunch of drugs or guns.
Speaker 4: You're going nowhere.
Speaker 2: You have no opportunity to postpond. It's been like that in this country for two hundred and thirty four years in the federal system, and the country hasn't fallen apart, and it's not some grave injustice. So the idea that we're even we're just playing with ourselves in state courts over this stuff. Ideologically, at all they're doing is they're cycling more people out to hurt others get killed, and it's just bad.
Speaker 1: Well it's a good here, but it's really bad here.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And there's some judges out there I mentioned names Silverstein, ordation and order, banning objections, doring bond rulings, which is just absolutely I don't even know if that's legally permissible. The mont Is Merriweather thing. We bonded out on a weapon's disability charge and participated in the downtown brawl. The Chiefs of Police Association wants to have roundtables. The judges refuse to participate in that. They feel the bold and to continue this pattern that puts the public in serious, serious jeopardy. And that's back, of course by people like mayor Pirival who now wants to undo this and go, well, maybe this was a bad decision. With admitting it was a bad decision. The judge judge in this case you mentioned, Judge Mundy said a bond Steve good than fifty thousand dollars in a single full on a's assault charge to the shooting on Saturday at Riverfront Live. He said, look, my hands are tied by the charging decision, says that's the max. That's all I can do. Did you have any more discretion, broader discretion, or you just chose not to exercise it.
Speaker 2: Well, I it's arguable I would say that I think, But I think he did. I mean, look, I mean he is checked. He is correct. They put forward a single case of a flows assault, not the nine charges or however many this guy hit. They didn't also charge him with any of the gun offenses for whatever reason, which would have justified a higher bond. So they did put the judge here in a kind of a bad place. Why they made those decisions at this early stage, I don't know. Maybe they're waiting on additional ballistic evidence. I don't know, but it sounds pretty clear to me they were able to put a gun on this guy's hand and that there should have been charges put there. So that's correct. But I want to zone back in on this public safety piece and if the judge could have, in my view, argued and found that because of the nature of the overall incident, that there was a true public safety issue and that that justified a higher bond. And what's going on in that arrangement room all the time? We're having judges who are deviating from this public safety requirement. And because the bond issue is usually washed through the system so quickly, because we have what we call a rapidan divement grand ury system. When all the felonies and serious charges are dealt with in about ten days and you have a new judge and it takes over, there really is no effective way for the state to appeal these bad decisions. And frankly, now we have a situation where you have the prosecutor's office and all the judges who were sort of on the same page it seems ideologically anyway, But if the prosecutor wanted to appeal. Effectively, they're not really going to have time. These judges are smart enough to know that, so they're really not posting these high bonds for their ideological reasons, it seems to me. I mean, again, I don't know, but I mean we're seeing you know, they're campaigning on these sorts of things that made public statements.
Speaker 4: To this effect.
Speaker 2: So you're right. I mean, Bernard Muddy was put in a very bad position, I think by the charging decision, but he could have deviated, as I understand it, under Ohio law and put a really high bond on this because there are clearly more charges coming, no question. And again the Feds didn't mess around with it. And I think that is the other really interesting thing here because traditionally, but the US Attorney's Office would work with the state attorney's office citing which case is to take, and here it looks as though from everything I have heard, that the US Attorney's Office and the FBI at HTF just came in unilaterally and said, no, we're taking we're taking this away because this isn't right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he is an attorney. Former prosecutor Defenser Steve Good on the show on seven hundred WLWD news yesterday that the individual, one of the individuals responsible for the mass shooting at Riverfront Live on Saturday, or left nine people shot and hundreds traumatized, could walk f in a fifty thousand dollars bond that was posted yesterday by Judge Munday in his court and said, listen, that's all I can do. Even have avs had pureval and other Democrats backpedaling on the issue of restorative justice, because this is what it looks like. You know, it's one thing to cite someone or penalize someone and set a high bond because they've got a bag of weed. But when you hire a violent predatory criminal with a track record, that person needs to be locked up and knocked up sooner rather than later. In that regard, there's kind of an I don't know if it's a loophole or not. Steven, Maybe this supplies with our standard ground law. Not sure, but take me through the fact that the shooter on Fountain Square, we sim shoot the two individuals at Citybird Chicken on Fountain Square. That person was let out because the claimed it was self defense at the two inside the store, and the video inside City Bird backed up that the I think the seventeen and eighteen year old, if im not miss, their nineteen year old pulled guns out and we're going to shoot him through the glass while they were sitting having chicken at a restaurant, and Fountain Square with a bunch of people around, said it was self defense. This guy was prohibited from having a weapon because he is already convicted in this case. You've got individuals here who both had a jacket on them that prevented them from having a weapon, and yet they get around to turn around and claim self defense. Do we kind of like have a pattern of a loophole here?
Speaker 2: What a little bit now, I think frankly, I heard this too. I saw this on the news, and I actually watched a club of the video. This guy's lawyer, the Urpront Live shooter, he is going to claim self defense, but of course, as you point out, he is legally barred from having a firearm, and it is exactly like what happened to Fountain Square. Now it looks as though on Fountain Square they are still pursuing at least felony charges against the individual for having the firearm to begin with, even though it looks as though he did establish a right to self defense, and some of that, you know, you're a standard ground in Ohio, actually make self defense claims easier to assert, I guess because you don't have a duty to retreat anymore. That's really all the change, and it's very fact specific to every case. But here in the Riverfront Live situation, I mean, the idea that this guy that there were multiple individuals going into this what I'm told was a private party with five or six hundred people getting in there with firearms, both of whom were legally barred from owning the firearms and having them on their body. I mean, that's unfortunately that doesn't under a highalog go to self defense piece that they will both base some charges. And it looks as though the federal prosecuted US attorney is focusing on the weapons aspect, at least initially in the charges that he is bringing in federal courts. So it looks as though at least the system is correcting itself in this instance on this But that is like that is the heart of the problem that we're seeing in Cincinnati, which is convicted felons carrying guns with impunity and it not being taken very seriously, in the state courts, we.
Speaker 1: Spent like six million on what they call targeted community alternatives to prison. It's a program, another program, more programs, I swear to God, but and it's designed to divert follow the offenders away from incarceration. Someone with the Cobbs record cocaine trafficking, two weapons under disability convictions is I don't understand how you're a candidate for diversion of that guy who decides why he would be eligible for diversion. How does that work?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, typically it's a it's a judicial decision where the prosecutor's office does sign off and they what they look at or non violent offenses, and for better or worse, by and large, under Ohio law, merely possessing the gun but not using the gun is considered, you know, non violent. I mean they're looking at they're looking as someone who actually has pulled the gun on someone or who has attacked someone. And and the kind of drift of where the system is right now, not just in Cincinnati but statewide is to look at drug offenses in sort of a more forgiving way. And I mean there's there's certainly an argument to that effect. But what the way I always looked at it, and the way we looked at it back in the day when I worked in the Prosecutor's office under very different administrations, is we looked at drug users and addicts in a very different light than we looked at drug dealers, because we saw drug dealers as folks who tended to be armed, who were capable of violence, whether they had committed violence in the offense or not, and that they were profiting off the misery and addiction of others. So we always looked at those folks very differently, and I think that has eroded over time, and now just drug offenses generally are looked at by a lot of the judges and a lot of the prosecutors, not just here but statewide. It's just being well, it's just part of the overall drug problem, quote unquote, And I think we would all be better served as society to look at if you had the way we looked at it at Grand Jury, is drugs and you're using and drugs in your system, you know, maybe that's somebody that does need to be diverted into a treatment scenario and not have their lives ruined. Drugs plus a gun and the drugs are packaged in a certain way, that's the guy that that's the guy that deserves to go to prison because he's profiting from it. And that kind of common sense sort of analysis is sort of followed by the wayside over the years.
Speaker 1: From what I yeah, no question, Sarah Heringer, Patrick's widow is pushing a law that would require real time ankle monitor data and making cutting one off an automatic felony. And it hasn't passed. But if that had been on the book with his murder, Mordecai Black want to say, Patrick Herringer, does the same logic apply to supervision of repeat gun defenders post release like this?
Speaker 2: You know it should. And I'll tell you I think, you know what, if if we had a probation officer here on the phone with us and he was given some truth surm, I think they would tell you that the technology and the funds just aren't there at the county level to really monitor these ropes. And I got to know Sarah unfortunately pretty well through all this, and I can tell you that you know that there were many many failures. There There were personal failures, but there was a system's failure. There's a technology failure. We have the ability to to do real time I'm monitoring both on probation and then hurt the situation. Unfortunately, with Mortecai Black on parole, a's just we don't as a society spend the money there, we don't staff these things the right way, and we just have not made it a priority. And that's a shame because if we are going to let people out and have these ankle monitors, they ought.
Speaker 4: To be able to work.
Speaker 2: And really it's the same technology they've had since the mid nineties.
Speaker 3: And you're right, you can.
Speaker 2: Take a kitchen knife and cut one of them off. You were so sure, So it's no way to do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the idea that we don't have the technicians to say, I mean, I've got an Apple watch right now and it'll sell you know, it'll wear it at night. You know, it'll tell you your quality sleep, will tell you how much you're sleeping, You'll tell you if you're snoring, if you tell if you're an a FIB, give you an EKG and do all these amazing things. You need to tell me that the technology doesn't exist to go, hey, listen, if you cut this thing off instant alarm bells go off, or in the case of a gunfelm like this, maybe they need one that uses that technology that would sense if that individual shoots a firearm and it autumn adically goes off, and said, this person who is prohibited from having a firearm just shot one off, you go and arrest the guy. How hard is that? I don't think it's that hard. But we've got to have the political will power, of course, to do these things. He is Steve Gooden, attorney at law, former prosecutor around Defense. Steve all the best, Thanks again for coming on the show anytime. Scott take care always got great legal analysis for us. Here it's it's mindless and you know, to show you the problem that I have with politics as a no nonsense, straightforward, common sense kind of guy, a political if you will, that this is a great example of progressives and Democrats talking out of both sides of their mouth that you know you have afted Pureval and other progressives who ran on the whole doctrine of restorative justice and bond reform. Well, this is what it looks like. These are the effects of that that these guys get out and just commit crime after crime. Because some people you can't reform. Actually a lot of people you can't reform. Why give them a second, third, or fourth chance. It's to throwing lives. The blood is on their hands, on their hands. I'll switch up in a second here, and there's another speaking of politics in the Square Guard. The same thing is kind of happening. You know, in an election, there was a lot made about you know, transgender people in bathrooms, in that stuff. There's not enough of them to cause the problems that were indicated during the election. But I got an example of, you know, turning the tables around here of that happening actually in Warren County in a very very serious, disgusting case that had this been someone that fit that category, you would hear more about it. But instead it's just a sad case. It faded away. You know what I'm talking about. If you don't, I'll explain next seven hundred W slony on seven hundred WLW rainy, rainy, rainy rain never gonna end. I don't think so so much going on in the world today, of course, And just had Steve Gooden on Great Attorney and when it comes to you know, constitutional issues and those big questions he's fantastic at that stuff. Always enjoy talking to him and learning a little bit more as I I often do every time to talk to somebody smarter than I am, which is maybe ninety nine point nine percent of the time. I've talked about and we've talked about the shooting, of course at Riverfront Live or yeah, Riverfront Life over the weekend, and the fact that you know, those in the progressive community and my progressive friends really wanted balan bond reform. And I get where that came from back in the day, because you know, before the people took over and added some common sense to marijuana. Where we are now will common sense legislation. We've you know, we've reduced the number of people are getting locked up for that kind of stuff, and I think we should. I think that their offenses and most defenses out there, if you thinking are things are like, okay, what can we set a reasonable bond here for someone? I don't have a problem with reasonableness, right, I'm a pretty reasonable guy. But I'm sorry, but when you pick up a gun or a knife, but particularly a gun, I think that really narrows your your options. I don't think it should be as much as they talked about how bad mandatory were that totally took away judicial discretion, the pendulum, as always does in America, has swung the other way, where you almost are your hands are tied in a sense that you can't do anything but offer a slap on the wrist, as opposed to real punitive outcomes for people who commit gun crimes. I mean, explain me. You do it once, you take someone's word at it, going okay, I'm gonna let you out, but you promise not to do it again. Yeah, you promise, yeah, yeah, yeah, oh yeah, yeah, pinky promise. And then they go and do it again. And then you go on and you promise this time, it's not going to three four times. It just it doesn't make any sense. And so you're married to this whole ideological notion that people are inherently good, and I think I think in a lot of cases that's true. But you've got to judge on an individual basis. If you decide you're going to pick up a gun and commission of a fellow me, and you look at the scope of why they did that to get money to settle some sort of wacky street beef, you slapping them on the wrist is not going to change them. That's not a wake up call for them because they simply don't care. And it's not ninety nine percent of the population. It's one percent of the population or less that does this. So why can't we get why can't we admit, like, yeah, bail and bond reform when it comes to offenses, like this is a bad idea, and everyone Steve Gooden, who ran for offs many others, told people it's a bad idea, and yet voters decided to go with the status quo. And now you've got after have Pureval, who really pushed the idea of this when he was campaigning and being progressive, is now going this, this is not good. So he's admitting it without admitting it, if you will. Now I did mention too not to belabor that this topic we've been talking about, because it's just so just so incendiary to think that these people could be out and committing these crimes again in the blood literally is on the hands of the judges and the individuals who push these policies. But I will point out something else that just happened because politics, as I've been talking about, and this is why I hate politics. It's all about exploiting someone for votes. It doesn't matter if it's true or not. So how's the ideal of ball reform and restorative justice working out? Not good? Well, then there's this on the other side, And ask yourself if this person were transgender or an illegal alien, but mainly transgender, would this have been a much much bigger story?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 1: Or no? Here's the story. The guy's name is Robert Dewis. He's thirty seven years old. He's been indicted on charges of rape, growth, sexual and position, abduction, and kidnapping in Warren County by David Fornshaw, an excellent prosecutor. By the way, he sexually assaulted a girl thirteen year old girl in the bathroom of a five below store in South lebanon February six. He was released from prison seventy two hours before he committed this awful, despicable crime. So the story of the narratives. The child's mom is in the store. They're shopping. She sends to the changing room. I guess to go try some clothes on. She left to grab a different pair of pants. The mother had locked the bathroom and arranged a special knock, so she knew it was mom and not someone else. Well, Deuise was standing there and heard what the knock was, and then as she turned her back, he went and knocked on the door, and so he went in there, and the girl screamed, which they called the lions War, which I did not know what that was, so I looked it up. It's the way they're teaching kids to react in a situation like this is to scream. Deuise flees. He was later arrested at a relative's home. He had already the grand jariy doesn't he made a sexually violent predator because the victim was thirteen years old and there's a prior conviction five years ago in Fairfield County for the sexual assault of a childhooder thirteen. The judge, how about this in Warren County held him. He's being held on a seven hundred two thousand dollars cash only bond. He's got to put up seven hundred, two thousand dollars and he's being arraigned today as a matter of fact, seven hundred. If this or Hamlin County judge, he'd probably be it'd be an a war bahn, right, he'd be on his own recognity. You promise not to do this again. Oh yeah, yeah, okay, go ahead, here you go when I will give you an ankle monitor, but we know you'll cut it off. Here, here's pair of scissors. Good, good luck with that. If that were Hamlin County, Warren County, f around and find out. But I'm gonn getting off in the weeds here, as I often often do, had this if so the story it was a big story of people like, oh, that's awful, But it wasn't a big story. It was a horrible story that has already been bumped from the headlines.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: I asked at the beginning, you know, if you're a conservative, ask yourself if this person were transgender, would be a much bigger story. And the answer is absolutely it would. Because it would absolutely it'd validate everything we heard in the last election cycle. And I think that's the problem I have with politics, is you will twist the truth, you'll take things out of context. Look, you know, to me, I don't if you're transgender, I don't want. I don't think it's right for you to play on if you're a man playing out a women's sports team, it's unfair Okay, if it's a a locker room, I think that's probably more weird for the trans person than it is for the individuals in there. But I can see a point there when it comes as a bathroom, everybody has the poop and pee, Like you don't have a choice. You have a choice to play sports, right, you have a choice to play being a locker room, you don't have a choice to go to the bath Everyone goes to the bathroom regardless of what kind of plumbing you handed either God gave you. And if you think that God and only God, and that's fine, it's that's your core belief. I respect that, I fight for that. I'm with you, But clearly your core belief is not someone else's. And that's the problem that you know, I've been going to a public restroom now for most of my adult life. I don't I have never, ever, ever known the sexual orientation of the person next to be in the urnal Like you don't check, you know, meet, I'm not about to meet gaze in a public restaurant. If you want to be a meat gazer, that's on you. If you're a woman, you're in a stall, how would you know if you're in a stall. What the genders of the person that you don't know? And the idea is that well they're you know, they get in the restroom and then this is what happened. If this again were a transgender individual who rape this girl at the five below in Lebanon, it would be a national talking part, right, it would be Fox News, News, Mats, all the conservative right leaning platforms would be all over this thing. But this is like, oh, it's what a horrible story. I hope they and this sob This bastard should get wh he gets in prison. I think the inmates take care of this guy as well. He should.
Speaker 6: And we know that.
Speaker 1: You know, the crime data and research about sexual assaults and restrooms, which is extremely rare, or public spaces for that matter, the vast majority are sis gender men, right, those are straight men. If you look at the FBI crime data over the years, over ninety nine percent of all convicted sexual offenders in the US fall into this category. Documented cases of restroom sexual assault most commonly involved cisgender male perpetrators targeting women or children, voyeurism, hidden cameras, stuff like that. It's generally straight men. I mean, it's not generally it is pretty much all straight men. So and actually the exact obbet is true. Sexual violence committed by someone known as the victim is more likely, but transgender people more likely be the victims of these types of assaults as opposed to the perpetrators of them. Like you know, as someone who is close to being libertarian than anything on the station, Like, I don't really care if you're happy to being that person. It doesn't hurt me at all. It doesn't threaten my masculinity, doesn't.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: It's America, God bless America. It's a country where you can be what you want to be. Oh my god, the morals and you have no morality. It's like morality is relative, right, I mean, look at look at the twisting that Christians have done and compromised values or core beliefs, and just in the last five years alone. So you know, you can twist if you could twist anything to fit your own belief narrative. So in this case, like I just I simply don't care if you're happy being that good for you. The world is a miserable place, not all, but it feels that way, right, So I look at it and go, Okay, you're happy being you. I have a lot of questions. I don't understand it, but I support you. As long as there's no one is being victimized, that's all I care about. There's no victims in that if you decide to do that to you. And I think the other thing is true with children. I you know, not a lot of young young people are having these types of surgeries, nor should they because I think, you know, maybe by the time you're fifteen, sixteen, seventeen, eighteen, if it's pretty clear that's who you are. But again, at the end of the day, it's up to the parents. That the state takes over and tells the parents and doctors what to do. I don't again, we have the writers Americans to screw our kids up. There's no shortage of of wacky adults because parenting is an imperfect science. Well, you're maiming and new Well, okay, if you're maiming them, I mean we have we have medical boards that oversee that. And I would say, oh, well, isn't circumcision doing that then? I mean, if you're going to split hairs, is there any medical reason for circumcising boys?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: So why do we continue doing that, that's general mudulation. To me, it's the same thing as long as you're not abusing your kid and trying to make that abuse when it's a thought out decision, a different story entirely. It's between you and your physician. Like people screw their kids up all the time, we we do a really good job at screwing our kids up. I don't know if that screws them up or not. I don't know, but that doesn't harm me, and I guess in this case, I look at it going, well, here's after that Pure Vault and other progressives in Cincinnati that have fought for better reform and in particular what they call restorative justice, and it's led to while the shooting at Riverfront Live shouldn't have happened, nine people are are shot today because the policies are well, we got to be kinder to criminals, to criminals, okay, these are violent, predatory criminals. No, we still have to you cut your ankle, mon or off. It's fine. And look at the bloody history here, whether it's Mordecai Black with Patrick Harringer, the shooting in front of City Bird on Fountain Square, the downtown brawl now we have Riverfront Live and it's on and on and on, and we just treat these perpetrators, these predators with kid gloves. On the other side, we have this straight man who raped a girl in a in a store changing or a bathroom, I guess it were. And had that been, you know, one of these parties we're talking about, it'd be a different story. In time to be national news. A crisis, we have to pass laws, but it doesn't fit in there, and that it probably happens every day, sadly. But that's what I hate about poultice. The exploitative nature of it is that you have to essentially what's your core beliefs around and say you have core beliefs when you don't to fit what the expectation pattern is. If who has efforts you're trying to get to vote for you. That's why politics is like, just stay out of my way, because it's just it's kind of icky right on both sides. And that's where we are. Anyway, slowly here seven hundred WW got news coming up at about ten minutes now, about eight minutes from now. My math is bad. I apologize. There's issues involving people over the age of sixty. If you or someone you love is sixty or older, we have a ration new crime. Speaking to crimes, we'll get into that with Dennison Keller coming up in just a few minutes. If you're older in sixty, we have a disturbing pattern now that's developed over the last few years with of course those types of crimes. The latest on what's going on in Iran, more missiles launched, our embassies and consulates under siege as it were, and now we have to come up with the strategy. As often in America, the case is we go and we blow something up, and we don't have an exit strategy. No love laws. For Komani, as a small child in seventy nine, I recall the hostages, I recall the crisis. I recall those things, and that has been true now for forty six years. And so I look at this and go, all right, Am I sad that they overthrow him they killed him? No, not at all. Now I'm a little concerned because his son is now the new leader of whatever it is, the total Terian state over there in Iran, and I think we got to probably go after him. But him dying and getting taken out by US missiles and Israelis. I'm fine with that. The problem is, though we have to have Congress involved, We have to decide on the War Powers Act. There's a lot of decisions have to be made here in the next month or two in order to facilitate this, because you just simply can't have another conflict. We're engaging with no end in sight whatsoever. I don't want to hear four or five weeks or four or five months, or four or five years. What are we trying to do over there? What's the mission? And countless presidents, whether it's a Republican, whether it's a Democrat, an Obama launched missiles, I look at the same thing. It's like, it's time for Congress now to actually step up and do their jobs and intervene on this thing. Otherwise, I mean, what is the point of having these branches of government if they're not going to be engaged. Constitution's very specific in what each body should be doing. We just simply can't allow it to the executive branch and the president, whoever that might be, to make all these decisions with no checks in place from Congress. It's time for them to step up. What are we doing over there? What's the point? When does it end? How do we get out? We need some answers, we need some diplomacy, We need a little bit of leadership, if you will. So I mentioned that's the problem of politics, where they campaign all all this stuff, all this noise, and then you elect them and they're mia. You want to talk about negligence, The body of Congress right now, in my opinion, is negligent. They don't do anything. They don't have Basically, all you guys do is vote to shut down government or not vote to shut down government. The case may be, what is the point of all these elections and sending you to Washington if you're not doing anything? News is coming up in five here Sloany, seven hundred ww Cincinnati. You want to be an American? It's a Scott Sloan show back on seven hundred WILDW. The good news for people over eight sixty five, and every day we get closer to that. If you're inside that number, congrats you made it. Good news is you're less likely to be victims of violent crime than your children and grandchildren. The bad news is older Americans are highly likely much more likely to fall victim to financial crimes. It is the fastest growing sector. If you're over sixty, you're talking about twenty eight billion and lost money's FBI said year over year over year, worried about fifteen to twenty five percent increases every single year for these scams. Dennison Keller is a reform journalist locally as a reform journalist and now a practicing attorney. Is an elder law attorney here in Cincinnati. Dennison Keller, welcome back.
Speaker 3: Are you thank you so much for having me on again. It's good to hear your boy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, how many years he been practicing law? Now from if you may remember Dennison on TV.
Speaker 3: You know it's nineteen years now, so not gonna twenty so I believe it or not. I have been an elder law attorney longer than I was a journalist, but I still bear the scar.
Speaker 1: Yeah right right, yeah, smart guy, Dennison is something like one in six people six year older were subjected to some form of abuse. I mean, we can talk about that too, But the biggest, the fastest growing. The FBI just pointed this out is financial crimes. So let's get into that. I'm guessing that probably investment scams were the biggest, like I'd be probably the costliest.
Speaker 3: Right, Well, it's just a little bit of everything, Scott. And you know you mentioned my career as a journalist and not to get too much into it, but it's stuff like this, frankly that halfway inspired me to get into elder law. I mean, I remember doing stories for Channel twelve on the old They called them pigeon drop schemes where a person would have approached an elderly person on the parking lot of a bank and then convince them that hey, I've got this access to this major reward that I get, but I can't get it because I don't have a driver's license, and if you give me money, I'll share it with you. And of course the elderly person gives them the money, and then the person takes off and then runs away. I remember doing a story a number of years ago, and as social media was kind of stepping up, where some scammer got onto an elderly persons social media page impersonated the in person and themselves as that person's grandchild that they're in jail and you got to send me bail money. So I remember doing it back then and It's just it's so frustrating because, man, the government institutions are trying so hard. I mean, Ohio has its Elder Justice Union, Kentucky has its Office of Senior Protection, the FBI has this World Abuse Awareness Month, and yet the problem just keeps getting worse and worse and worse. And I think there are multiple factors would go into that. You know, one is that just the demographics of it. We're getting older and older and older, particularly in America. And then and then secondly, you know, our population of senior citizens is very, very wealthy. Uh. And then thirdly, the technology is just so good for scammers h and they keep finding ways to exploit it, and they always seem to be two or three steps ahead of both law enforcement and unfortunately the senior citizens and their.
Speaker 1: Families typically in the cases you've seen or heard anyway, Dennison Keller, are they are these offshore enterprises as opposed to being here in the United States.
Speaker 3: You know, not necessarily. My own father was scammed, Scott, and it's one of the classic ones. You see somebody hacking to his computer and because I'm sure he clicked on some sort of link and the scammers would lock up his computer and the only way he could unlock is be kept paying them service fees. And unfortunately, the nation or that scam was not such that they got into his financial information. Maybe they tried, I don't know, but the bottom line was they kept extracting more and more money from him to fix their computer. And of course they say were for Microsoft and were licensed and et cetera, et cetera. And he kept telling us that this was happening, and I kept telling him, Dad, this is a scam. Trust me on this. And that's part of the frustration as well, is you know, a lot of times elders just don't want to admit that they've been taken, you know. And here you think you have a really smart guy. He owned his own business. This is before he passed away, and he has a son who's an elderlaw attorney who's saying, Dad, this is a scam. You have to stop this. But he would not believe me. He believed them, and he got to the point where he was so nervous he wouldn't open his computer in his own home. He was driving twelve miles away to my sisters who sits across the border in Mainsbook, Kentucky, and that's where he would get online to do his banking and such, because he was so nervous about it. And it was only about a year or two after he died, and he died four years ago that I got a letter from the New York Attorney General that they had copied people and they were looking for victims statements and things like that. And we did not participate in that because he had passed away. But that was a New York operation. So yeah, I can be all seed all shore overseas, but a lot of times they're right hearing out of states as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And the hard part about it is and where our fastball gets slower and slower with every passing day, as we know, and as we approach that age of sixty sixty five seventy, it's also difficult to keep up with evolving technology and how these scammers work because it's an ever evolving enterprise and so you do have to put your hubris aside. You have to go, hey, listen, I don't know everything was supposed to be, you know, older and wiser, Well, keeping up with technology is really really hard. Trust me, I get that. I see it all the time AI is coming into fruition. Now that that is a game changer, and so it's going to get harder and harder and harder to detect these financial crimes, especially against the elderly.
Speaker 3: It is, it's not just against the elderly. You know, I was on a law conference last week in Seattle and my associate attorney was was with me, and you know, she had taken a couple ubers using the corporate card, and of course I get this alert, Hey, somebody who is using an uber in Seattle? Is this legit? And this is from American Express? And they American Express asked you to click and verify Yes, this is a legitimate extent. And I really had to think because I'm like, whoa is this from American Express? Because I don't want out this to be a trojan horse. And so I went and looked from two different vantage points, you know, did a search and called American Express, hey are you actually emailing me? And you know you made fun of me as a journalist and right leak. So but if there really are some good principles and journalism that you can apply, I think too elderly scams or financial exploitation and that golden rule is check your sources. Check your sources. Don't just take the person or the email at base value. Get come two different other sources. Whether you get a call saying, hey, you want a lottery and give me your credit card and I'll give you your lottery earnings, or getting an email that they asking you to click on something, Open up a different browser, type in Hey, is this a scam? Or does this actually happen? Call on a couple of different look for a couple of different phone numbers, Call your family, does this sound Legit is my grandchild actually in jail? And try to verify that way. And then the other golden role is God, just just do not give out your personal information. If you think raw, why on earth would anybody be calling you to get your solid security number or your bank information? Right right, It's gonna be a scam. Yeah, period. Yeah, So when in doubt, get out, or the you.
Speaker 1: Know, the one we get all the time is like, hey, I'm a recruiter from and I saw your resumes, Like, well, I don't have a resume out there, and that's an easily dismissed once, or the you know, the hello text that we get from some unknown number. You know, that's kind of a fishing scan. But the sad part about it. And Dennison Cutter, by the way, elder law attorney here in Cincinnati. Uh, as we talk about the fastest rising crime that the FBI is alert a sound, and that is elder financial crimes here in the United States. You know, you get those messages, it's like, Okay, who do I trust? Uh? You know you mentioned the journalism thing too. I'll point out it struck me as there's a you know, back in the glory days of the AP, I suppose there was a sign in their room that said, hey, if your mother says she loves you, check it out, which is kind of funny, but it's true.
Speaker 3: Right, That's that's a great at a great antidote, it really is. You just got to check it out, check your sources. And you know, the thing is, we're always bombarded with it, you know, back in nineteen eighty four. And it sounds like it's going to good off topic, but it is kind of related. I think you know, the Irish Republican Army tried to assassinate Margaret Thatcher with a bombing to the Brighton Hotel and it was a foiled plot. It did not work, thank god. But they said after that, Okay, we were unlucky today, but remember we only have to be lucky once. You have to be lucky always. And it was an intimous quote from the nurch and Public Army, and I think that applies here. You just cannot let your guard down. I just was working on our employee manual for our law firm and had a long segment about particularly using the computer and being aware of phishing scams and malware and ransom and all of it. And I kept putting the same line at the end of the ten do not open it. Do not open it, verify it. And you know the thing is, Unfortunately a lot of legitimate companies aren't thinking about that either. It drives me crazy. My insurance carrier will send me each year an email with my new policy, and all in it says is a one line a tax is a copy of your new professional liability policy. That's it, you know, And I mean that was like that to be a damn right. You're going to call the insurance carrier like you actually send this, so you can't just shortcut on the steps. Unfortunately, you just have to be vigilant again, check your sources. Like you said, if your mom, if your mom says she loves you, check it out.
Speaker 4: That that's a great I've.
Speaker 1: Heard that I love. I love deleting everything. It's like if it's coming at me, and eventually, if it's important, they'll continue to age up to me in other forms. So I you know, I have a very small and tight circle. But I get it if you're older, and especially as we live longer, and you see it Denison Keller, and that would be we wind up with things like Alzheimer's and dementia and the like, and not all that we're isolated. Our friends are dying off, maybe our family is halfway across the country, maybe we lost a spouse. And your lonely. So I get the predatory nature of what would trigger someone who would suspend their wilful disbelief at a romance scam or a financial scam, because people are lonely, and no matter how much you tell them, hey, it's a scam, it's a romance scam. They want to believe that there's a human connection out there for them. And it's so tragic that people exploit that.
Speaker 3: It really is and it's just the worst kind of evil I think. I mean, here you have individuals who have lived a life and raised children and worked a career, and they enjoy they should be able to enjoy the fruits of that life well lived, and yet they are the ones who are targeted more than others because they might not be a tech savvy or they might be to or whatever.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: The the High Department of Aging has a great website. If you just google, I'm gonna give you a whole link. But if you just google the High Department of Aging scams and they actually have a list of all of the most curtinent or prevalent scams that are going on right now, and there are links to that, and the links go to ARP articles, which also doesn't even deeper dive into those scams. And you know, to be honest with you, Scott, in preparation of his call, I look back to that situation with my own father and I thought myself, dang, you know, I should have Nott with him and shown him this website, right because he's never gonna believe me because he changed my diapers. It's just you just never get over it. To the parent, you always have a degree of father knows best, mother knows best. But if it comes from an ultimate source who's not child, well, then a lot of times they're more apt to believe that. Yeah, and we see that as an elder law firm all the time. Sure, not necessarily with scams, but with all things, the sense of, hey, you know, maybe it is time to move outside of the house, Maybe you should get a home health care agency'd give you a better chance to stay inside of out. There's coming from the kids. The parents just don't listen to it.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, if it comes from somebody in a lab code or an official or the government in this case, they're they're more apt to believe it because of the authoritary nature of it. They ain't gonna listen to you because you're the kid.
Speaker 3: That's exactly right. You know, a lot of those authoritative figures, most of those authoritative figures are required by law now, and the attorneys are one of them to report if they reasonably suspect some sort of elder abuse, whether it's physical or financial or sexual or whatever it is. So we have to do that. And so you have an ally right there, and you know that's part of as well, is a lot of elders do have a great team that they just utilize that team. You know, they've got a loving daughter, they've got a loving son, they've got close friends, they've got care givers who are good, and relying on them to help protect them can be a huge advantage in the situation. Not everybody's blessed with that, and you certainly recognize that. But the ones that are, you should utilize those people as long as you trust them, you know. And a financial power of attorney is also a very big tool. Got to help elders prevent themselves from good interviews in the sense. And now you've got somebody who can look at that bank account, who can see these transactions that are going on, who can intervene or as the authority to intervene on your behalf, and then perhaps that person can help protect you against the scam as well. Obviously, you only choose somebody that you can trust.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: We always ask when we're doing financial powers of attorney, you know, well, Scott, you trust your son? Well, you know, Jim is the oldest. That wasn't the question, do you trust your son? But he's good with money? And I'm like, that's worse, you can't trust them, and he's good with money. But really, I mean you, if you do have that person you can trust, you know, use them because they can offer a tremendous buffer against scams that we've been talking about this morning.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, my parents are both passed, but when we're to look at their will, they made my middle brother executor and like, I don't really care. That's fine. And you know I mentioned to my mom and she's like, yeah, it's because you know, he's good with paperwork. He's smarter than you. It's the greatest thing ever. He's like, that's what he does. Yeah, listen, we need something fixed or talking. You don't do that. This is what he does. So it was it was really a funny, my laugh outload moment. He's Dennison Keller. He's a local elder law attorney. And uh again, if you are dealing with these issues or anything related maybe to your parents or yourself, definitely gon need to reach out because he's great. Dennis and all the best. Thanks for jumping on this morning.
Speaker 3: Oh thanks for always having me out. I really appreciate it. S very conversation.
Speaker 1: The word of the day is moisture. Moisture. Dang, it was raining this morning. Continue to rain. I will the rain ever end? We'll have that question to answered for you. Here about five minutes a full weather, traffic and news update, and then we returned to the show. It's Julie on the Job on seven hundred at.
Speaker 6: Giving you a vocational leg up on everyone else. Here's our career, Julie Balki.
Speaker 1: Yeah, lots to talk about today, some of it lighter, some of it heavier. Julie's got you all covered this morning. It's Julie on the Job. Welcome friend, how are you? Haw's lying?
Speaker 5: Good morning for I am fine and yourself.
Speaker 1: You don't care anyway, let's I so much?
Speaker 3: So much?
Speaker 1: Your hrre You don't you know? It's probably I'm probably talking to you, probably talking to some sort of I don't know. Are you a bot? Are you? I don't know. It could be AI. I have no idea. We have a case again acting badly in the workplace. Seems like we talk about this frequent. This one is rather interesting in in New York City where a woman who was giving I know she's doing some sort of roundtable or something. They had a microphone on. Careful of the live mic. That's that. Being in the business that I'm in, I understand the power of the live microphone. What happened here?
Speaker 5: Yeah, So there was a sort of a discussion going on on Zoom of whether or not a certain school should be closed, and a professor at Hunter College in New York was a New York City Community Education Council meeting. She made she made an extremely racist comment and I don't know. The thing is like, I don't know who she thought she was talking to. So there's several people on this call, and she she makes this horrible comment. Everybody can hear her, and a person jumps in and says her name and says, what you're saying is absolutely hearrible. Now, in other word, f T f U stop. And it was it was so clear that what she was saying, when what she was saying about the topic in hand, she clearly was not the right person to be making this decision. It was extremely racist, and she's been suspended.
Speaker 1: And well what did she say, Jolan?
Speaker 4: Why?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 6: Whoa?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 1: What was so racist? Why did you all right, I'm kidding you were going to do it?
Speaker 5: No, No, it wasn't like she didn't use a Flur. It was what she said about call a group of people dumb and they're too dumb to blah blah blah and yeah, and so everybody, I'm like, whoa, if you really feel that way, you should not be in this group. Should you even have your job. It's just it made me. It's taking my hand, like have we I mean, I don't know we would talk back in twenty twenty twenty twenty one, when everything was on zoom, everybody had a story someone forgetting their camera was on and like going to the bathroom or changing clothes.
Speaker 1: The guy who was the guy was pleasuring himself. And then we had the the CNN guy right, Yeah, I look at that.
Speaker 5: And I think, okay, and he's back. And I don't think if I got caught doing something really embarrassing on live TV like that the whole world saw, I don't think I could ever crawl back out from under my rock. But I guess sometimes you've just got.
Speaker 3: To get back O.
Speaker 1: We live in an error where people don't care. I mean, just you know, it's all about you anyway. There's no sense of shame anymore.
Speaker 5: Oh, it's just like yeah, I guess.
Speaker 3: And also on top of that. Everybody's memory is so short.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, because it happens with the.
Speaker 5: Yeah. And if we said seeing and guy think that's actually Jeffrey Tubman, most people are like, don't, I don't remember that because our our attention spans are short. We've got a thousand things on our mind. They are more important than what something done did on TV No offended and uh, you know, and so it's it's I guess you think I gotta get back on it. If you look at Matt Lower trying to come back from what some of the stuff he did, and it's not it's not going well for him. I think was he was so bad that people like, no, you're not coming back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But those are actual I mean physical sexual assault victims versus a slur you know. I mean again, are they both things you shouldn't do or both? Yeah, one hundred percent. But you know, the the sexual assault is also being in the position to force women to do that, like we saw with uh, you know what happened with with Fox, same thing. Uh, it's that that's a much that's a much more a graver crime. Now in this day and age, it's interesting people elevate the racial thing to that, and it shouldn't be. I mean again, it's atrocious, it's abominable, it's inexcusable. But you know when when someone is actually physically victimized sexually, that it's a whole different level.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And so the question then becomes and we see it, I mean we see it locally, We see it, you know, in all kinds of situations, and where someone says or does something. There's something going on right now with Crossroads that it was something that was done allegedly ten years ago. So you think, okay, you know, how do we And I don't have the answer, but it's how do how do we decide? Everybody says and does things in private that they would never do in public. We jokingly say, when I die, please delete all my text chain text chains, because we all do that that we everybody has something they've done or said in the past that they would not want, as our grandma always says, on the front page of the newspaper. And so the question then is how how do we respond to this? How much how much forgiveness do we have here? Does it depend on what it is? Does it depend It's It's a fascinating fascinating thing. Though she's clearly going to be she suspended, but my guess is will either be let go from her job and definitely shall be not on that commission anymore. Okay, so when somebody brought something off Mike, you know it's I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, we live in a society where there's mikes and cameras all over the place, and so you have to be on alert all the time or you actually have to change your core beliefs. But I think in this case, this woman was part of the over educated class, but she was trying to either draw something from Martin Luther King Junior, and it just came out, well, it came out horribly. I still don't understand the context or what it was said. But you know you mentioned Brian Tom the pastor of Crossroad Church. Okay, this story with the open mic just happened. The tone thing happened ten years ago, and then on top of it, they had an investigation and said, hey, listen, don't it would it involved a I guess a riding cropped it on his desk and somebody asked what it was, and he showed him by saying yeah, it's for your horse, but also people use it for well bedroom behavior and simulated it on them and touching their butt with it, I guess, or rubbing their crotchest if they liked it. It's a kind of cringey, right, But you know the fact that this happened ten years ago, and also they said, hey, just okay, don't, don't do it again. That's a bad look. You're the senior pastor. Shit in't Then he admitted it, and now we're bringing it back up again. At what point do you go, it's settled. Why do we keep rehashing things like this?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I always I always keep some room to think we don't know the whole story. There could be more to it than that. And then again, I mean, when you take something and you touch someone's crouch with it, that's wrong on so many levels that you think. I think of that, and I think the thought would never cross my mind to do something like that, and I think, okay.
Speaker 1: So funny, I do that all the time.
Speaker 5: I think, I know that's what David told me right before I went on there. So we need to talk about that out there, right, But yeah, it's it's I have no answer, but I always think, Okay, we only know part of the story. We only know what's being we don't know what the what the full story is. So I always tell myself there's there's a really good chance we don't know the whole story, so let it, you know, let it evolve.
Speaker 3: But nobody can do that.
Speaker 1: I don't know. But maybe at the same time, I think there's just some some people are offended by everything that they will not let it go. I think that's also true today because everyone has a voice in a platform, and so they feel like, and I went on a second thought, I know, we investigate this, but it's still not good enough. Let's reopen this whole thing again. I think that's also true Julie.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, and that can be. And it's it's like a continuum or spectrum. There are people I.
Speaker 1: Know people always agree you are.
Speaker 5: Extremely offended by the F word, and I know other people who say it every other word. Yeah, and so who's right, you know, So.
Speaker 1: It's it's well, as someone who uses the F bomb with impunity, I'm right, okay, yes, yeah, if you're if you're offended by it, I'm like, well, sorry, you're offended. But that sounds like a U problem, not a new problem.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, yeah. I had an old, old leader who a women leader, who would just lose her mind anytime anybody used the F word and she see, I think she really hurt herself by being so reactive. And I get it she.
Speaker 3: Didn't like it.
Speaker 5: But to to huff and puff and stump away is probably not especially when your work in a corporate environment. Should it be said? Yeah, probably not if we want to if we want an environment, but but if we want an environment where people feel comfortable. But that can go too far too so who's to say? You know, I'm not offended by it, some people are. I respect that, But then where does that when that gets into the public public sphere? What should be if a if a public official drops several F bombs on a hot mic, yeah yeah, that's not the same as saying great things on a hot mite. But again that's just my opinion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. There's things that bother me all the time in real life that I'm like, okay, it's I'll try to avoid it or get away from it. But it's like I'm not going to force you to conduct yourself. Is to not defend me it's like you know, and I think it's different. There's kids around things like that, and certainly there are conversations where you don't want that coming out. You gotta also read the room. You can't do it all the time. I want to pivot a second here, Julie to something something that this is not my circle, but I'm around people who use this all the time, and I kind of roll my eyes. And it, of course is the age old topic of and the Wall Street Channel, by the way, the Wall Street chernel does a great job of this, using and breaking down work jargon in business and tech industries, and people got a chance to sound off on the terms that get them the most riled up. So the biggest defenders for the cultural touchstones are put a pin in it. Let's unpack that. Let's take a ten thousand foot view. Are some of the ones that made the cut. I would throw move the needle and thought leadership and words like those to me are like, man, I hear those all the time and they just sound so business cringey.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and here's some more circle let's circle back.
Speaker 1: I use circle back though, and I don't think that was like a big corporate buzzword. Now, I got to stop using it.
Speaker 5: Now, you're right thought leadership stakeholders. Yeah, and it's it's there is always corporate jargon. So one of my pet peeves is something that it just makes me, makes someone unlistenable. It's when they put the word right at the end of that every sentence.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do.
Speaker 5: I was walking down the street right and I on a coffee shop right, and I went in right, and people do it. I was going to call one time that I have to make for an excuse to get off this call because my ears are screaming. And we do all you know, I mean, there's all the like and you know, and I certainly do plenty, but we all have our things. But yeah, it's funny because it's it's you're going to catch yourself, put a pin in it. Let's unpack that, in other words, explains me what you mean. Every single one of those phrases actually mean something. Who let's unpack that, which means tell me more about that. So they all mean something. And so certain companies, there are certain companies that will have company specific jargon, Like if you're a new person coming into that company, you are like, what does that mean? Because you've never heard it before, and so you almost inside cultures, inside companies, inside departments, there's always specific language or acronym. Let's, uh, let's take the ABC on that and come back and do an X Y Z. And you're thinking, I'm entering a foreign land here. I don't know what these people are saying, and so we all do it, we all laugh at it, and it's just it's never going away.
Speaker 1: But well, here's the thing in business, right if Julie balk, if you have an NBA, let's say, okay, there are there are things that you use to describe certain things, and Biness, you go, what the hell does that mean? Explain that in common terms, and you do. And it's like, okay, well, why don't you just say that? But but I think there's a couple of things going on here, and tell me if I'm right or wrong on this one.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: Number one is virtue signaling. So if you it's kind of like, uh, you know, teenagers, they have their own language and every generation or every few years, new you know, six seven comes into play and we're not supposed to know what that means. If you watch, you know, remember kids cartoons in the morning, all the commercials make fun of you know, dumb dad. Dad doesn't know, Mom doesn't know. It's kind of like a secret club because you know, we don't have agency yet, we're kids, and this is a way to stick it back to the man. And so it's punching up and that whole that that whole narrative, and so I think, but virtually signaling here is like, well, you know, these are the terms you use in business, and if you're not part of our group, you don't know what these terms mean. But every culture has it, and I don't think businesses is a culture unlike any look like other cultures out there that use their own jargon and language, as it were. So there's that signaling to show you're a part of that thing. At the same time, I'll be honest with you, I've had bosses in the past that have used language like this, the buzz or corporate buzzwords of the day, and quite honestly, I think it is to cover up for incompetence or lack of confidence and throwing the catch raises out there that you really don't know what they're doing makes you're using them to try and sound smarter than you really are, and then you use them inappropriately in different situations to kind of mask who you really are. Like, yeah, you know you're using these big words in corporate buzzwords and it sounds good, but you know when you scratch the surface, you literally are skinned. You know there's nothing there. You know what I'm saying. I don't know how to word it, is like I just feel like you're using that language and mask some sort of incompetence or your self esteem. And the more you use that, I think, the more reflective. Is Am I right wrong about that?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: No, I have heard I have heard statements. You know, someone that you work with or on TV or wherever, and they they say some time, I even think you know what you just said, And it is sometimes it is a bunch of works out to cover up lack of knowledge. But if you're inside of corporation and you're the guy or woman, the man or woman you report to uses the words circle back a lot, or put a pin in it, or let's wipeboard it or let parking out, put it in the parking lot, you probably will start to use those words because that's their language and you want them to be able to understand what.
Speaker 3: You say, and vice versa.
Speaker 5: So there is sort of a you've got to I've got to be speaking the same language as you, and we just take it on really naturally a lot of times because we want the person we're reporting to to see that we understand what they're saying, and we want them to understand us, and so it's easy to fall into that. Here's how this company H. Here's how this company H follows up. We don't follow up by text, We follow up by emails, or we follow up by phone some of it, but some of it's just how we get stuff done. And it can be annoying, Yeah, especially when you know the people who said it. I don't really think you was it Princess Bride. I do not think that means what you think it means, Montoya or something like that.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's pretty it's pretty obvious that some of these people is like, you don't know, I actually had someone I was working for it once a long, long time ago, and I think I want to say the buzzword then was kaizen the whole Japanese principle? Right? And then me, do you use that with impunity? The point I start, I actually started like had a message or something. I showed a few people, like what the what are they talking about here? And they're like, I have no idea what this means, And so I decided to respond to them in fortune cookie. So when we got to the Chinese, I'd saved the fortune cookie fortunes and then put those in sentences and it'd be a bunch of non sequorters, made no sense whatsoever. So anytime they asked me something, I put that in there and then they respond, Wow, that is that's a really good thought provoking statement. I couldn't agree more like it's total I'm just making this up, goofing on them, and they had no idea. We just call them fortune cookies. I'm gonna I'm gonna send another fortune cookie. See what happens.
Speaker 5: I remind me to never go to Chinese lest you, because you'll do that to me.
Speaker 1: But I'll on I'm collecting. I'm collecting to give me those those those bad fortunes. I'm gonna so I can email someone and like, what are you talking about? Just talk like a normal person. Man throw an F bomb in once in a while. It's fine. I'd rather have someone in a meeting like that drop an F bomb and talk like in regular language and throw a rite or alike in there every once in a while, as opposed to talking in haikus.
Speaker 5: Yeah hikus, yeah noik I don't think haiku would be a good look for you.
Speaker 1: No, no, I'm not that guy. Just tell me what I need to know. Quit throwing all these big words at me. I'm not I'm street smart. I'm not not business smart. She's Julie Bouki, our career shirp on the Scotsland Show here on seven hundred w l W joins the show every Wednesday. Julie on the job. You can find her at the Balki Group. That's b a uk E career coach consultant. She is the job whisper. She'll take care of you if you're at a crossroad or maybe pivoting or putting pins and things in chill, chill, light out for you. All the best and I'll talk to you next week. Thanks again.
Speaker 5: We'll circle back.
Speaker 1: We'll circle back. Let's circle back next week. I'm gonna circle back down the drain. How's that? I'm right, I'll see you later. There you go. News coming up in five here on seven hundred ww Scott Sloan Show, Jeff Crossman jumps and Jeff is the today was like lawyer show. Today it's like a lawyer a round table. Jeff Crossman is his name. He is the lead council in this lawsuit to stop Ohio from using unclaimed funds for pay Corps and now TQ. Well, now, if you had a pile of cash Bengals, reds FC Cincinnati and you were running those organizations and the state said, hey, we have this big pot of cash so you can improve your facilities, feel free to tap into that, you'd be lining up right. I don't fault them for it. I also think that quite honestly, when it comes to unclaimed funds after ten years, do you have a duty to know that they're on CLEM funds out there and here's the website and just go look it up. I think that's probably true, right, It's like I would assume after ten years you don't know what's there, or maybe you know after certainly after a longer period, and maybe that person has moved or they're dead. We don't know. But I will say it's interesting how when you owe the state money or the government money, They're pretty good at finding you, aren't they.
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 1: So I go back to I don't know twenty twenty, and I filed my taxes in five six years later. Go hey, by the way, five years ago, you didn't claim this is a and yo US fifty four cents. Pay up with the penalty though it's five hundred and forty dollars, so they can find out when like, you're screwing them tax wise. But have I got money coming to me? That's different. That's I think that's a good argument that he has here for. And meanwhile, it's all tied up in the court right now on whether or not that we should be using unclaimed fund money to build stadiums. Legit question, this is your money eventually, I mean, maybe you have maybe you have money in the books right maybe you know the unclaimed fund thing. Maybe you had. I got a few hundred dollars back not long ago since I was talking about this story. But here's something else. So let's say they take this money and they give it to I don't know, the Bengals, FC, the Reds, whomever, well they were doing it for the Browns, and they start using this money to kick Okay, well, what happens to the court rules and says, well, you can't give them money away. Do we have a whole nother level Ohio version of the terri free funds? I mean, think about how how hard that's going to be. Now it's on the state level. We'll get to that next. Jeff Crossman, I said, he is the lead counsel in this case. Really interesting guy. We'll chat about that next. Seven hundred WWN Cincinnati, Do.
Speaker 6: You want to be an American scot.
Speaker 1: Plumb steel back on seven hundred w OLW. As you know, Ohio is rating billions and unclaimed funds. That means your old bank accounts, on cash, refund checks, forgotten deposits, it's all in there, and they're going to use that money to build and renovate stadiums across the Buckeye State for pro team. So we know that the former Ohio Attorney General Mark Dan's law firm is suing to stop it. And we've kind of got a new wrinkle here is FC Cincinnati has been the latest team to apply for some money. Here. Jeff Crossman is lead counsel in this laws who joins the show now once again, Jeff, how you.
Speaker 4: Been, I'm well, how are you?
Speaker 1: I'm well, thanks, counselor. So, they created this billion dollar sports facility grant program last year and in the budget, I'm funded by unclaimed property. The states year mark six hundred million for the Browns Stadium. F C Cincinnati has just applied for one hundred and almost one hundred and forty million of the remaining four hundred million dollar pool. Everyone's got their hand out at this point, the Bengals f C Cincinnati. So before we get in, that is kind of the basic give me a reset here, What exactly is the state of Hive doing with this unclaimed money that you believe is unconstitutional.
Speaker 4: Well, there's four point eight billion dollars in the unclaimed funds account, which the suportible Ohio and a unanimous decision probably in two thousand and nine of they it was and I don't know how many times there's ever been a unanimous decision on the HoFH Spreme Court, but they all agreed that the only funds represent private property for individuals in Ohio and even outside of Ohio, and what the State of Ohio is doing is appropriating, in a sense m in domain taking for those those funds those properties and using it to give to private developers to build their stadius. At least that's the argument in the case that we have perfectly depending because the only case for the only grant that they had acknowledged was six hundred million dollars in the Browns.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and now, of course set us off down here in Cincinnati because we don't like that. We don't like that. So you've got that war between cities going on that that brotherly competition, if you will. The state argues that laws governing abandoned property have existed for entries, and that's true. Supreme Court is upheld them. Do you have a counter to that or why is this different?
Speaker 4: Well, there's two argues. One is the taking in itself is improper. You can't just take private property and give it to another private owner. That's just unconstitutional and in domain under the taking clause both in the state and the federal constitutions required to be a public purpose. So that's the first argument. The second argument is they're just not giving anybody any kind of new process here. There's no notice individual lives notice in anybody that has property in the end plant, there's many many people in that account who are completely unaware that their property is being appropriated for this purpose.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but there also is I mean, this has been law for a long time. There's a dormancy period of it. You know, after ten years, it's kind of looked at is permanently abandoned. And I'm sure that there's a lot of this money out and I can't say all of it for sure, But after ten years, we assume that person doesn't care or they have died, what do you do with that money just to sit in this account for perpetuity?
Speaker 4: Those are valid public policy discussion points. I think if the legislature had had gone through that process and had public discussion about it, then maybe there'd be a policy position you could land on that everybody could agree to. But that's not what happened here. They just passed this and basis basically a backward deal. That and night kind of thing where you folks did have no opportunity to really abject or put a counterproposal on the table that people could live with. And again, you can't abandon property you're not aware of it. The state's not telling you you have property at the unplanted fund's account, Then how are you supposed to abandon something you're not even sure is there is there.
Speaker 1: A process for due diligence for people who are owed this money, and that you also have to I guess be responsible on your part. That there's it's kind of like I don't know tax or have you got to you got to get the tax refund and figure out what what the government owes you to get your money back. I know it's kind of a bad comparison, but you know, tax season, we'll use that to go with right now. In that you know, there's notifications, public notifications, there's public service announcements. Hey, here's the unclaimed funds website. They try to do I guess as much as they can public leaning, public public facing, to try and get the word out to check your your unclaimed funds. How did you battle against that?
Speaker 4: Well, the US Supreme Court is at time and time again when it comes to cry on property, it's up to the government to provide notice to the owner to demonstrate ownership. So you know, the government's responsibility if they're going to take your property to give you notice in an opportunity to object, and it's not happening here.
Speaker 1: I think using the tax example, Jeff Crossman. You know, I if I'm I don't know my taxes are off by like twelve dollars in twenty ten. You know, somehow they'll find me and go, hey, you know this plus the penalties. They're really good when we know them money. But when it's your money, it's a different story. Like they'll find you if you owe a tax money.
Speaker 4: If you if you owe a parking ticket or tax dollars, they are going to track you down to the ends of your find you. Hey. So you know, what we would propose is that the government do something else here to provide notice to people and give them an opportunity to, you know, a legitimate opportunity to claim their funds. And this can be done over different ways, through a discount on your taxes or your vehicle registrations. There's there's got to be a better process than what they've engaged in here.
Speaker 1: So a judge in Franklin County blocked the transfer with a temporary restraining order, then allowed it to proceed. The lawsuits kept alive by your firm, Jeff Crossman, what does that mixed sigan'll tell you about where this case has had a where it stands right now, is everything is still in limbo? Are they going to start distributing the money or is this disorder still in place?
Speaker 4: The order is still in place. There was a temporary restraining order entered and at the end of the year last year we came back to the court. In January, we had another hearing on whether or not the court extend that temporary temporary restraining order to what they call a preliminarium junction, which would hold everything in place until the litigation has included. That decision hasn't reach We're waiting on them.
Speaker 1: Okay, Now there's a chance they could go, yeah, you know what, it's illegal, go ahead and hand the money out. If that happens, Is this like the tariff issue in that we collected all these tariffs and the Supreme Court says, no, you can't do that, and now we're faced with probably having to give the money back because everyone's lining up in court to be first in line, first on the bus, gets paid. Is it a similar situation here in Ohio?
Speaker 4: If that happens, well, if the funds go out the door, the state's already admitted. Once the funds leave the uncleaned funds account, there's really no way to recover those funds. And in fact, what our argument was, because anybody that has had their funds transfer out of the accounts and still make the claim, but they're paying those claims with other people's proper to any of the newer accounts that they've taken over. So in a sense that it's a bit of a Ponzie scheme in our view. And so, yeah, so it could be that we get this, we don't get the injunction. The court allows the state to distribute these money, and then we ultimately prevail in the end of the day in the lawsuit, and then they have to come back and find a way to recover all that money, which is going to require the states either raising taxes or doing other things to recover that, you know, nearly two billion dollars they've taken from.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to coin a phrase, it's a damn mess.
Speaker 4: Isn't it correct? Yeah, definitely complicates.
Speaker 1: He's Jeff Crossman, lead council in the case involving unclaimed funds in Ohio. You know, your bank accounts on class on cash refund checks goes into to the unclaimed funds account. As we know now after ten years, that money the plan is to take that money and give it to local municipalities and cities to build stadiums pro stadiums. As a matter of fact, FC just came out and said, hey, we need some money for this thing. We could use some cash here. One hundred and thirty six million dollars Hamlet County apply for a two hundred and thirty four million dollars pay course stadium give back for renovations. That project is almost at a billion dollars now at this point too, So we're waiting for the reds now to go, Hey what about us. Brown's got six hundred million and it started this whole thing. You're now looking at a situation where FC and Emmily and County are applying for hundreds of millions. So when these teams lineup, does that expansion of the program strengthen your legal case or complicated?
Speaker 4: Well, I don't know that it has any impact. I mean, I think at the end of the day, we have to determine whether or not what they've done here is constitutional. If it's not constitutional, then none of these applications submitted are compete. There's not any money available to any of these applications. So you know, that's the first step, and then after that we'll evaluate it. But there's been by last count, I would take twenty two applications, you know, from the Guardians to the Cavaliers, to the Bengals, to FC Cincinnati to a group kind of put a clean soccer team together. So there's been the Toledo mud Hends. I mean, there's been a number of applications submitted and anticipations funds might be available, but you know, the court needs to make its decision first.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, the Browns got six hundred million directly appropriated, no application, no competition. These other teams you mentioned, including FC Cincinnati, the Bengals had to apply for what's left the crumbs? Does that dispare treatment have any legal impactor?
Speaker 4: That's that's out of the scope of our case. But I'm sure there's people there that will take a look at that question.
Speaker 1: Sure it will, because one thing we like in Ohio is Cincinnati and Cleveland fighting each other. That's for damn sure. So how many how many Ohios does this potentially effect, by the way, is and how large is the class you're representing?
Speaker 4: Well, there are hundreds of thousands of individual accounts. It's not just people in Ohio. There's people outside of states, outside of the United States that have funds in this account. You know, JP Mortgage j uh you know they have accounts everywhere that everywhere in the world. People have accounts a little all over the world. JP Mortgage Chase is one example of a company that's depositing unclaim funds in Ohio's account, even though those folks may not have any relationship with the state of Ohio. This is what I'm talking about. If you're taking people's property, they may not be aware that their funds are in Ohio's account, even though they might live in New York or Tokyo.
Speaker 1: Do you have an idea what the average dollar amount would be what people have at stake.
Speaker 4: I think that's a good question. I think it varies. We've heard anywhere from ten bucks to ten thousand bucks, even more. I mean there was the Animal Protective League League in an acron had over one hundred eight thousand dollars in the accounts that they were run aware of.
Speaker 1: Wow, yeah, I went and got I think it was last year. I did it and got a couple hundred dollars back from something, So I was pretty happy By that because I didn't want the Browns to get my money and squander it on ruining another quarterback. I can't have that blood on my hands, Jeff, I can't have that blood on my hands.
Speaker 4: I think a lot of people in Cleveland would SIMPERVISEE.
Speaker 1: We got our own problems here. So the performance grant program requires that the revenue generated by the stadium district's payback the grant over sixteen years. This may also be outside of your scope. But if the economics don't work out there and the teams can't cover the shortfall, then are tax PARI still on the hook? Who covers that?
Speaker 4: Well? I think if they give it, if it's a grant money, the inflication is that that money not kind of peper payment. It's really murky whether or not that there is an obligation to be pay if we haven't guide it into a detail.
Speaker 2: Bum.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a grant not alone, right.
Speaker 4: That's what they're claiming it is.
Speaker 1: Huh. If this succeeds, what happens to the money? Well, you know, the money's kind of like in limbo right now. We're never going to be able to claw that back, is kind of what you pointed out. And that's a disturbing part because I'd imagine that would just you'd have a flood of lawsuits going back and forth the state would It'd be in chaos if they had to pay it back, it'd have to come to the general fund. You're talking money from schools and everything else. There's a local municipality here, I forget where the same thing happened. Guy was I think falsely charged and arrested, and they sued them in won and they don't have any money to pay him back. They don't know what to do. They might have to start selling assets at this small community to pay this guy's forty two million dollar claim. Could that happen in Ohio?
Speaker 4: I think anything's possible. And I think the general sense that I've received up here in Northeast Ohio is the people are outraged that they're being to give billionaires millionaires and billionaires additional millions the construct facilities that really they benefit from. Its socializing the cost of everything. You know, all these billionaires hate socialism, but they love it when they can socialize the cost of something as long as they can capitalize on the benefits of it. Yeah, and that's what's happening here, and that's the reason why people are so ugrly.
Speaker 1: Right, Jeff Crossman, I think you've have mentioned when I had you on last on the show. I think you said, Hey, if we got to take this all the way to the Supreme Court, we'll do that. There's no time on that, obviously, But is there a particular to legal theory, because you're always planning ahead for these things too. A legal theory in particular gives your best shot at getting the court to take the case. Have you thought that far ahead?
Speaker 4: We have one case that's currently spending in the six Circuit Court of Appeals right there at Cincinnati. We had followed one case in federal court and the other cases spending court. So we're constantly evaluating our case and legal theories, and you know we're going to take the best packboard until we win.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what is the timeline here? What's the next step from the court.
Speaker 4: We're waiting on the court to make a decision. I think it's any day that the Court's going to come out with an opinion on these junctions should last through the conclusion of the case. If that's the case, then we'll continue litigating this and we're you know, state has the option of we're evaluating a position.
Speaker 1: I know what you're hoping for, but what what do you think actually happens there?
Speaker 4: Any You know, I'm practicing law too long that it's the day to enter a prediction. Uh, you know, you know human beings aren't computer formulas rights right?
Speaker 1: Well, this day and age, though, you know, we have these ancillary betting markets where we can go and bet on anything. How long this conversation is going to go someone maybe betting on that they can maybe make some money off it too. So it's interesting we kind of have that wager going on. But I would think that they're you know, obviously very very smart people in the court. Look, and I going, well, if we just release this money and it gets shot down by the Supreme Court, then we are literally opening up a Pandora's box. It's like the tariff thing all over again, and that should scare anyone listening.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Look, we've made the best argument we think we can to justify our position, and we think the safe of that here is to just hold everything in place. Let's continue to litigate this and get to the meat of it and see where we landed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're thinking any day.
Speaker 4: And look, I mean to your point, I mean, people are basically brought that. The Browns started digging Monday, so you know, ground had broken on the stadium construction. We think that the stadium is going to get regardless of what the state jack. Six hundred million dollars. People can claiming fun right.
Speaker 1: Right, Well, I mean, you know, taking this thing back. We wouldn't even be having this discussion if they just would have said, you know what, we're going to add just a little bit more tax to online wagering, e gaming and the like. It's like a slam donkey. Yet they didn't want to do that. Doing this is way more perilous legally speaking than.
Speaker 4: That raising taxes or using the box the state bonding capacity. Those are public policy determinations where you know, folks like me wouldn't have been really any reason to challenge that process where you're implicating constitutional concern you're taking people's property without any due process, any right to object, you know, without any public purpose. That's where it opens the door for people like me to just file legal challenges. And the governor was aware that when he signed it, was disappointed that he would even put the state of that position.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it seems like it's a much harder road what we're doing here than it would have been going after the gaming, taxing them another half a percent or whatever it was, and other states are taxing much more. So it's this is the least effects offensive tax I would guess, in my opinion, would be the gaming thing, as opposed to going after unclaimed funds. He's Jeff Crossman. He's a lead counsel in this case involving unclaimed funds in Ohio. So if you have money in that account, you probably get online and check and make sure you don't. Otherwise it could very well be in the hands of the Browns, the Bengals, FC, the Reds, the mud Hens, and whatever other team wants a stadium built with your your cash. Jeff, all the best, buddy, Thanks for coming on the show again. Be Welser. My pleas take care of the latest traffic, weather, and war news. Of course, war news. We're at war, you know, is about five minutes away. With that, and then when we return, Sarah Least jumps in. We've got Trey Henderson to talk about, We've got Reds to talk about, We've got Miami going for perfection to talk about that and more. Sarah Lease and the Snort Report. Next seven hundred WLW does S three up some more money for the Bengals. We got Miami being perfect, we got Reds baseball lots to do. Sarah Lease and the Snort Report? Next seven hundred W.
Speaker 2: All the.
Speaker 1: Do you feel snorty today? Because I got the sense you're not gonna snort.
Speaker 6: Really, I'm a little fired up today. Up, I'm excited about my Miami Redhocks. I guess that's what we're gonna start with again today.
Speaker 1: I thought they lost last night.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 6: Seventy four to seventy two was the final over Toledo for that final home game.
Speaker 1: I thought, for sure, with the front running bandwagon, remember that you are, you'd be wearing Miami gear. But you got all Reds gear on today. So I thought they lost. Well, I was, so you jump back on the Reds band.
Speaker 6: I was so excited about them beating the Cubs the other day, so it's carrying over. I mean, there's only so much that I can show every day between Miami and Reds and all my excited.
Speaker 1: About beating the Cousins. You know, it's a screamager.
Speaker 6: I'm aware. I almost brought in my diploma for you today, just to prove to you that I am a red Hawk. Look, did graduate in twenty ten. My dad made this beautiful frame for me. Okay, it's got the little tassel hanging up there.
Speaker 1: It's a Max School relaxed. I don't see me very my bowling green diploma here, do we should?
Speaker 6: We should all bring the diploma cent and just stack them up.
Speaker 1: It's on an et just sketch. Anyway, I've taken your word for it. This wrote you a letter congratulate. Yeah, yeah, right exactly. It's on parchment.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah. Now the red Hawks are thirty and oh and of course making history. Uh yeah, and they'll wrap it up Friday night, nine o'clock against oh year years and then.
Speaker 1: By the way, Sara at least from one oh two seven e BN, she does Mornings with Kid Chris is the Kid Chris Show. She pops in and does snorts of all sorts. It's sports slash social media on this Wednesday morning. Good time to get ready for the weekend upcoming here, sports, sports and more sports.
Speaker 6: Ready for the going on.
Speaker 1: You know, it's entirely possible I'm not saying this is going to happen, but if Miami loses this final game and they lose the tournament, they will not be in the dance.
Speaker 6: Well they should, they should, they absolutely should.
Speaker 1: They have earned it if they win the tournament there and so you're you're in any way. But let's say they went out and losing the tournament, there's there's a chance they don't make the trim. That would be egregious because it's store absolutely.
Speaker 6: And I feel like a lot of the country is rooting for this underdog, and it's really cool to see like all the national people giving them the recognition that they deserve.
Speaker 1: If they'd be a nine seed right now, I thought I saw it, yeah, or the case now.
Speaker 6: They're ranked at what nineteen? But if they their last.
Speaker 1: Rank, they lose a final game and and go and win the tournament, you think, well that that's gotta be good for like a fourteen seed, right twelve fourteen seeds.
Speaker 6: And I would like to see them play better on Friday than what they did last. But you knows, a little tough last.
Speaker 1: You're not going to run the table unless you're the US Women's Olympic ice Hockey team. You're not going to run the table, correct, Yeah. Not every game can be flawless like that. So so yeah, they'll wrap it up then.
Speaker 6: And Travis Steel said on Selection Sunday, if they are still undefeated, that man is planning on wearing a speedo.
Speaker 1: Do we want to see that?
Speaker 6: He's like, I've never worn one before. He's like, I'm gonna have my wife pick it out. But yeah, I want to see them go undefeated. Just for the Travis speedo situation.
Speaker 1: It's like Jill Domin where he takes his shirt off at the at the West the Waste Management out in Phoenix. He's running around caause he had a whole of one. Sure, yeah, that's what I mean.
Speaker 6: I think he's so fired up. I mean he's like punching speakers and wearing speedos. It's crazy. So yeah, he did get that twenty five hundred dollars fine after that Friday night game when he took out the DJ speaker and he said he'll replace the equipment. There is a go fund me on social media if you want to contribute to Travis Steele's twenty five hundred dollars fine, which is absolutely ridiculous.
Speaker 1: Somebody's going to pick that up.
Speaker 6: So there's already been like three hundred dollars donated to it. I'm like, mister's already paid it up. Yeah, I'm like, twenty five hundred dollars is not so big. It's not as much as I was. I was thinking he was going to get like a twenty thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: Fine, what happens if your other alma mater?
Speaker 6: You see, Oh my god, you see they looked to God last night to they really turned it around over the past three weeks. They got the win and it was a late night though I didn't get to see much of it. Yeah, nine to fifteen.
Speaker 1: Tip off for that I was talking about was having dinner or some UC friends of mine and they're like, Yeah, secretly, it's like, I'm kind of know with west It's like could if they wind up losing out, they'll make the tournament they get rid of west Mill. Not that they're going to, but I don't think they will. I don't think they should either, because they're they're he's turning it around. Yes, they would go after Travis Steele, the ultimate f unbelievable. That'd be unbelievable.
Speaker 6: Travis said that he wants to stay with Miami. That's what he said.
Speaker 1: I think there's something to be said for them. He was a good size program and and it's hathing to be said about being a big fish in a small pond. Absolutely, Enrico Blasi, Miami's hockey head coach.
Speaker 2: He was at.
Speaker 1: I mean, he made incredible money, took him to the like literally a couple of plates away from win in the national title. Uh, it didn't work out in the long term, but you know again, it's like there's somebody said about that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he said that he and his wife and the family, they're all very happy there and he does not see himself going anywhere else.
Speaker 1: And the kids go to school locally here, so they'll go to uh.
Speaker 6: Yeah family, Yeah, why not? And I do too. I liked seeing him fired up on Friday night. Unpopular opinion, but I appreciated his little crash out. I'm like, look, I get it, dude. He doesn't want to lose. He takes the job serious. And to celebrate the win last night. Since they are now thirty and oh, our friends at Cynthy's shirts have a big sale going on right now. So if you do want to hop on, get on the bandwagon celebrate Miami. All of their Miami gear is thirty percent off. I just wanted to throw that plug out there at Sincy' shirts. Yeah, I love justinuys over there.
Speaker 1: This is not a plug in. What's the website? If I were interested in getting your.
Speaker 6: Sincy shirts, you'll figure it out. I was there yesterday, sopped up on some red skier. Great group over there.
Speaker 1: Are you're working a plug in? Is that what this was? Because that was just shameless?
Speaker 2: You know what?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I have no problem plugging my friends.
Speaker 2: Call you.
Speaker 1: Cry well absolutely.
Speaker 6: Speaking of our Cincinnati Reds, they had the day off yesterday, but they are back at it today for that exhibition game against.
Speaker 1: Cuba, Copa Cuba, Cuba.
Speaker 6: Here on these airwaves at three oh five. First pitch. Not sure who's pitching today, that has not yet been But are we looking I think we're looking pretty good. We're looking really good. Matt's back, Matt McLean is back like a five seventy one. He's eight for fourteen, absolutely crushing the ball. And this is the kind of turnaround that we were praying to see, especially in the off season, hoping that Matt would get it together and look, I believe in Maddie. I'm excited for what I've seen so far. I mean, I know we're only two weeks into spring training, but it's really cool. And I feel like Tito Francona has a lot of faith in this kid, which is something that you want. I'm going to give you the confidence. If you have a manager it's giving you a hard time. It's like, well, why would I want to go out there and do good things for this team?
Speaker 1: I look pretty deep right now. It's cool.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So Tito Francona the other day, he was on a podcast and he was like, look, I know that we've got a really young team here, but this ain't our first rodeo. We've got a few years under our belt together. We went to the playoffs last year. He's like, we are ready to compete this year against all the serious teams and we're looking to go back to the playoffs again and go even further.
Speaker 1: So I love that.
Speaker 6: I absolutely love that Tito's fired up about this team, and so am I. And I think, you know, bringing Ahano Suarez and looking at the adjustments that Ellie has made and he's healthy, and I mean, look at our rotation alone, that's excited to south. Stewart's down thirty pounds and he's raking as well. He had a couple bombs the other day, and I mean, damn, I'm excited about the offense. But of course the rotation. You've got Hunter Green and Andrew Abbott and oh my gosh, why can I not think right now Brady's singer and they're obviously fighting for that fist spot? Is it going to be Chase Burns? Is going to be Rehet Louder?
Speaker 1: Who do you think it's gonna because Rehet Louder is I think I probably not any he pitched the gem, but he.
Speaker 6: Looked great the other day. I think it's going to be Rhett.
Speaker 1: What a good fight.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he looked really really good. Why can't I think of the other end the rotations? And we've got Hunter Green Andrew Rabbit, Brady singer, and I'm missing somebody else in that fourth spot? My brain? Yeah, because fighting for that fifth is either Chase or Rhett.
Speaker 1: It'll come back because we're thinking that totally come back to us.
Speaker 6: Yeah, right now they are totally screaming at us. Please allow us some grace here, But I think it's gonna be red. I was really impressed by him, and you know, listening to Cowboy the other day, he was hyping him up. He's like, this is the best pitching performance that we have seen all Springs so far. And I could not agree more with that. Yeah, Nick Lodolo, dol dolo, there we go, guy, Yeah, Nick Lodolo, so excited about the rotation, excited about a lot of stuff. Something trending on social media. These all you can eat seats at Bush Stadium, our divisional friends here in Saint Louis.
Speaker 1: I think Bush Stadium, Yeah, I think people.
Speaker 6: Forgot that we do have those here in Cincinnati. I'm just here to remind you we do have an all you can eat stand for twenty six bucks.
Speaker 1: Why is that? Why is what sant listing? Is that trending?
Speaker 6: It is trending. They've got these all you can eat seats in the Big Macland for twenty nine bucks. You're getting Coca Cola, chicken tenders, hot dogs, brought s, Nacho's fat fries, popcorn, Pedat's kettle chips, ice cream. So it's like a big deal and people are like, like, we have nothing like this in Cincinnati. We absolutely do for twenty six bucks. You can do all you can eat Papa and peanuts.
Speaker 1: To a game or hot smart report exactly. I'm here to tell you that what about the chicken tenders? Your chicken tenders likes not a part of the right there.
Speaker 6: The chicken tenders right now, that's really the selling point. I think, what this one? People love chicken tenders, which they also sell them at the ballpark, but these are at section one forty four, the sun Moon deck. That's it right there, and I see them every.
Speaker 1: Single time done all you can eat seats.
Speaker 6: I've done them one time.
Speaker 1: What did you what about you? Did you regret it?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 6: I know no regrets, no regrets. I never regret ball.
Speaker 1: I did not do the all you can eat seats. What do you get when you go to the ballpark?
Speaker 6: You a hot dog?
Speaker 1: Definitely getting hot dog? Okay, I would get a met and then maybe later a hot dog.
Speaker 6: But see if I'm getting I'm not getting the met brought. I need it to be burnt. I need you to burn it on that grill.
Speaker 1: Always going to be black all around, is always going to be a dog. Like I can get skyline, I can get pizza, I don't sky at the ballpark, right, I can get that elsewhere. I don't.
Speaker 6: It's not even that it's just skyline. I want to be like sitting down inside the parlor. That's for that's for my space with it. I guess it's for the away team fans, right, it's like, oh, I get to try it exactly. It's their chance to get it. Really is good for I'm just gonna hit.
Speaker 1: I'm going. I'm going beer and I'm going out.
Speaker 6: I like a hobbit Sunday.
Speaker 1: Don't need it now, don't need the ice.
Speaker 6: Do you like the Cheetos popcorn? That is really good? It's like a cheesy popcorn with like the little Cheetos.
Speaker 1: Yeah, ready for some ballpark better. Whether it's opening day or the first game you go to and it's still like it's great, miserable outside and you walk into the ballpark and that it's just that sea of the smell. Oh my god, it's the best. It is the best sensation it is.
Speaker 6: It's it's the smell of the baseball and I just want to bottle it up and put it like in a candle.
Speaker 1: It's so the first glimpse of green grass is just it's amazing.
Speaker 6: That first beer.
Speaker 1: That first beer, so sex, all right, what else you got real quick?
Speaker 6: Also trending in Bengals World, Trey Hendrickson.
Speaker 1: We talked about this while you're bearing the lead.
Speaker 6: Because Miami University is thirty and zero and we know that we know that Trey Hendrickson is not coming back. They did not tag him, so of course he went on to Instagram like all the athletes do, and he listed all of the things that he's thankful for. You know, he think the fans, the coaches, his teammates, and he said, look, Cincinnati is home now and forever, God bless and who day. It is a very long statement that he put out there, So that's just a way to wrap.
Speaker 1: It up right.
Speaker 6: And of course on Monday we got the big news that Dalton Reisner is coming back. I don't think anyone loves Cincinnati as much as Dalton Reisner and his wife big fans. He said that Zach Taylor is the biggest reason that he's coming back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's a big.
Speaker 6: Zach Taylor fan. Loves playing for Joe Burrow, loves blocking for Joe Burrow. He also talked about his friendship with Ted Carris. He's like, if there's anybody that I look up to, it's definitely Ted. So it sounds like Ted has been kind of like a leader adult life. I really like that. And he said that he's never felt more at home than how he does in Cincinnati and like very accepted here.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 6: So he also gave a shout out to Skyland, Chilly and Jeff Ruby, saying, my wife and I love the food here too.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. Great, not just block, do.
Speaker 6: Your job, don't care ye, do your job.
Speaker 1: I'm I mean, I think it's awesome that they lean into the city. And I'm not throwing shade at all, but it's like just block, Yeah, your job, don't get hurt. Great, let's let's let's go get hurt.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You know his stature, don't be such a nice guy. I don't hear that. I want to hear excellence. That's what I want to hear. And it's Hendricks. And I mean, I know the national media's beating the hell of the Bengals and the Bengals being the Bengals, and I think there's some truth to that too. Is like, you know, you French are are not going to franchise tag him and the contract thing and you allowed them walk and you could have got something.
Speaker 6: Was Trey Hendrickson doing for us last season? He was hurt for most of it, correct and the games that he wasn't in we won. Yeah, all right, so it's okay to move on everybody. We'll fine, It'll be fine. But of course off season workouts start next month on the twentieth. At all I'll be here before you know it, all right?
Speaker 1: Is that every think?
Speaker 6: That's everything? Pups and pups this weekend since night cyclones, bring your dog out on Saturday night and ever Sincinnati's.
Speaker 1: How did the dogs do it in the hockey arena?
Speaker 6: By the way, they're awesome. They all hang out together in one section. They put them on the upper bowl together. It's fun.
Speaker 1: You ever have dogfight a dog fight?
Speaker 6: No, I feel like they're pretty chill. I've always had a really good experience there.
Speaker 1: Knucklehead would bring like they're like atiler. Yeah, yeah, yeah, that there would be dog fights.
Speaker 6: I think it's I think it's pretty chill. So yeah, seven thirty on Saturday night for that.
Speaker 1: Or something like that.
Speaker 6: No, I don't think you should.
Speaker 1: No, I think that'd be good for you make a lot of money inside a little dog fighting ring in the kind of.
Speaker 6: I think that's the last thing we need to get into.
Speaker 1: Call Michael Vick not my wiener dog, well not your wiener dog by Real Dog Fight fifteen the mascot. The mascot gets torn apart like it's a big squishy toy.
Speaker 6: Oh my god, not pup Chop.
Speaker 1: Punk Chop getting attacked by dogs would be great video. Poor punk Chop, I thought it was a toy. Who thought it was a squeaky he's so fluffy, look had a squeaker and any even better?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 6: You know what they did get? They gave out this like puck Chop key chain on Sunday, and I feel like it that you need to put a little squeaker.
Speaker 1: And know what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna go to the game and I'm gonna follow puck Chop around with the squeaker ball to stand behind him, and then the dog will think that's the dodg drop biting him.
Speaker 6: I will not tolerate puck Chops slander away.
Speaker 1: Gonna rub some bacon grease on his back. How you doing is do it on his back? And then smoker squeak and that'd be awesome.
Speaker 6: Like well, puck chop sure is poppy?
Speaker 5: Wow?
Speaker 1: What does all there's fluff all over the place. It's it's okay manity. Sarah Relea Snort Report Morning's with Kid Chris at one of two seven e B and her social handle is Sarah a.
Speaker 6: Leasee went to it and sorry, I tried to squeeze everything and I forgot who Nicolodola was. Please forgive me
Speaker 1: The big So it's fine news next seven hundred WWT since that