Speaker 1: I didn't know that James Vanderbeek died. I just seriously just found out a minute ago. I looked on the little que sheet here for audio, and I didn't James Vanderbeek died. He had cancer. I know that like colon bowel cancer or something like that. I think is colrectal cancer. Oh my gosh, I really thought that he was, you know, kind of on the road to recovery. So young too, only forty eight. Yeah yeah, wow. Well I didn't even start the show off with Dad with that news. But I guess his friends have raised like eight hundred thousand dollars with a GoFundMe friends and like Hollywood people, so his family can like pay down his medical expenses and keep their home because he's had like four kids or sithing like that. Six yeah wow. On of a much lighter note, Mom, Ronda Bailey's mother mother made doubled eggs for us this morning.
Speaker 2: She did, indeed, well, she made double leggs for Dave, So if anyone else wants some, you'll have to ask Dave. It's her last day of work today. My mother is retiring. Also, what does your mom do?
Speaker 1: She? Right?
Speaker 2: So she's like the like head kitchen person at a new Horizon.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, does she work at New Horizons?
Speaker 2: She does, so she has she works. She worked in like event planning and like trade shows, like for her whole life. And then like in the later part, she worked out a new horizon as the kitchen manager. So she's like makes all of the kids food. So if your kid goes to a New Horizon, think Mama Ronda for their meals.
Speaker 3: Everything.
Speaker 1: Well, my goodness, I really had no idea. I better call her right now? Oh you should she? Oh, she's up.
Speaker 3: She's already at the at.
Speaker 1: The day care making tater toss for the kids. Maybe could be.
Speaker 3: Oh, maybe she'll answer she's at work, can she?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, unless she's like wandering around with a tray or something with the tray, then she may.
Speaker 3: Watch her not even here that I talked about her.
Speaker 1: That would be watch her get mad because she didn't talk about her. And then it's like, mom, then I didn't talk I do right at the beginning, Hello, Well, hello, young lady, how are you good?
Speaker 4: Dave?
Speaker 1: Are you carrying around a tray of tater tots right now?
Speaker 5: No, I'm getting ready to go to work.
Speaker 6: What's for breakfast.
Speaker 1: Okay, are you naked right now? That is that's naked right? Yesh eerfect her. I just thought that we would paint a picture, so I just want to make sure I got that right. Mama, Ronda. Is your last day of work today before retiring?
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 1: Whoa yay? That is so great? My gosh, how you've been working at New Horizon back in the kitchen for how long now? Nine years? Nine glorious years? Yes? So what are you doing to celebrate? And what are you going to do? Are you going to buy a camp or van and tour the national parks or what are you gonna do? Well?
Speaker 5: I'm going to start with the staycation. Okay, I'm going to spend some time visiting my mom and uh, I'm gonna kind of feel the whole thing out, see what the next year brings for me.
Speaker 1: That's what they say to do, is take a year or so to figure out what it is you want to do.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and but there's something looming at me.
Speaker 1: I want to go to Egypt. Let's see.
Speaker 2: She does love passport now, so we had to get passports so we could go to Graceley.
Speaker 1: So she has one. You would look good on a camel. I'm just saying, I would you would? I want? I want to go to Egypt too. We'll go together. I've always wanted to see the pyramids. Yeah, yes, yeah, what what's I've heard? The pyramids are like, you know, right here, and they're beautiful and their majestic and you think they're in the middle of nowhere in the desert. But stand in the parking lot of one you can see a Kentucky Fried chicken across the parking lot. And I'm not making this up really, yeah, it's like, Okay, when you see the pictures of the pyramids, they never take it with the Kentucky Fried chicken in the back crops out. Well, Mama Ronda, I'm so happy for you. What a great thing. And to retire and not have to get up early and sleep as late as you want and do what I asked my cousin. I said, so, what what do you do now that you're retired? He said, whatever I want to Yeah, And that's the key. All right, Mama Ronda, good luck, take care, happy retirement, and put some clothes one okay, bye bye, Mama bye.
Speaker 3: I love her.
Speaker 8: Why did you have to get a passport for Graceland because.
Speaker 3: We didn't want to wait to get the real id. It takes wait too long to get the real idea.
Speaker 8: They require that at a place in the United States.
Speaker 2: Its way less time to get a passport than I did to.
Speaker 1: Get a real life. Really had no idea.
Speaker 3: Okay Bailey, with what money they have.
Speaker 1: To take her to ease? Talk about my heart?
Speaker 6: Paisils great.
Speaker 1: Whatever you got tapped on tap for today, whether you're going into work for the you've got years and years until retirement, or whether it's looming, or whether you're just starting your career. I am glad you are here. On the Dave Ryan in the Morning Show. I've got a lot of stuff. It's coming up a little bit later on War of the Roses, a brand new one. We're in new little improv on the show. We got Cardie b tickets, more Valentines Days shout outs and kind of update sho on everything that's going on. We'll be right back on k D Double Ub with you can't make this stuff up. Stay right here. It is almost Valentine's Day, So if you're single and hoping to fall head over heels in love by Saturday, that's probably a tall order, but it might be statistically more likely if you've never felt that before. According to a study, the average American falls passionately in love just twice in their lifetime, and one in seven adults single adults have never experienced passionate love at all, so they're do. And I think that's so interesting because I know people that have been married and then divorced and realized they never really passionately loved the person, and it's like, how do you know? And it's love? Oh, I'm singing, van Halen, What are you saying? Chant? No, I'm singing.
Speaker 2: How will I know?
Speaker 1: If that's the thing? Is like, sometimes you think you love somebody and then you're like, not really, But I think you know, it's like one of those things you know, it's like a big oh guys, It's like, what was that it is? Because when you have one, you go, oh, that's oh, that's what it is. Oh okay. If you're only thinking that you've had one, then and you agree you've never had.
Speaker 3: One, I don't know. As a woman, I think that.
Speaker 1: You definitely know whether that's what I just said. No, But I'm you're wondering if you've ever had one? Then you have not.
Speaker 3: Okay, yes, yes, okay, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't have an opinion because what if I think I've been in love like three times, but what if I wasn't actually and I have yet to find one of those sweeping poet nationate love.
Speaker 1: Well, I think that's the thing, is like, if you like, I could give you example after example of couples that I've known that they got married and they seemed like they were happy, but then after they got divorced, they're like, yeah, I found out I never really loved her or never really loved him. Anyway, back in the story, eleven percent of people say they've experienced passionate true love four or more times, and men are more likely to experience that than women. But the trend is only true among straight guys. I don't know why that is, But basically, the study didn't define what passionate love is, but it leaves up to interpretations. So generally, it's like that early relationship intensity, obsessively thinking about your partner, intense longing when you're apart, and heightened arousal when you're together. I think a lot of people do they do this. They they they go out, they date then they're like, oh, okay, well we've been dating for a couple of years or a year, we should move in together. Well, we're going to move in together. Well, what's the next step. We should get married?
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then you get married and then it's like, oh, well we should probably have a kid. And then you have a kid or two or three or four five, and then you go, man, this is not really it. But I think that because because I think at some time you can be married for five years or ten years and then you meet and this is you know, you're gonna be judgy, but then you can meet somebody it's like, oh that's what love is.
Speaker 3: Is it just shiny and new?
Speaker 1: And there's that too. Yeah, So so much to talk about about love and Valentine's Day, well scares me now.
Speaker 6: I never want to get married, well or have kids.
Speaker 8: All right, as our head over heels in love with each other, we are.
Speaker 6: But what happens like when Dave said, whenever we decide, okay, well let's get married, then let's have a kid or two or three or four or five, and then down the line we're like this isn't it though, Like.
Speaker 1: Go ahead, no, you go. I was gonna say. I think that if you are in love and you know it, then you know that the next step has got to be married, and if you want to have kids, then you have kids. But I think some people go, oh, well that's the pattern, that's the procession. Yeah, so then they do it even though they're not really in love, and then a year or two later they get divorced and go I was never really in love.
Speaker 2: Do people still or even ever get married before they move in together anymore? I only know one person who got married first for sure, Like.
Speaker 6: I still I see that conversation on all the time online like do you get married before you so and so? I think you should live with your partner just because, like before you get married, because you should know everything about your partner before you decide to get married.
Speaker 3: Way back in the day, yeah, Dave's day, you would get married.
Speaker 1: Called shacking up. Shacking up. Yeah, Sandy and Billy are shacking up. Yeah they're not even engage cornating exactly. And this bit has been brought to you by the Leo agen C. I know who Jenny loves, Morgan walland loves her some Morgan Wallen. Am I right, Jenny Jenny's one true love Morgan, She's giving me the turtiest love. He's gonna come over there, ADWB coming up on Katie. Will you be the sing along song over the day? What would you like to sing along with? Is it calling to a fun little bit that we do this time of the morning, because I've read I don't know, six or eight months ago and when we started doing this, that's singing along with the radio kind of boost your mood and kind of gets those dopamine and endorphins and positive things going through your bloodstream. So sing along with the radio and maybe you're I don't know, maybe you're not able to because maybe you're at work already. Do it anyway, freak people out, give them something to talk about. Oh my god, did you see what Helen was doing. She was singing along with Backstreet Boys in her cube. I think she's losing her marbles. Anyway, let me know, send me a text and let me know what song you want to sing along with and we'll play that when we come right back. How do you get ahold of us? You send a text to kd WB one and we'll probably call you to put you on the radio to talk to you a little bit. Oh, that's that sounds like now, it sounds like fun. Yeah, they're supporting me. I appreciate it. We'll be right back. Text the Dave Bryant Show on kd w B, we have a sing along song of the day, and we tried to get ahold of the person who suggested it, but they didn't answer. And that's fine because they're probably in the shower, or walking the dog or at the gym a.
Speaker 2: Block.
Speaker 1: But this is a great sing along song. It is it goes back to like ninety six or so. It's kiss Me sixpence. None of the richer is the artist on KDWB sixpence, None of the richer on the sing along song of the Day. On one a one point three kd double ub, We're gonna do the dirt. We're gonna get into a lot of stuff coming up on the show. Then we got the Black History Month moment, but let's first do the dirt. On one a one point three kd WB.
Speaker 6: Extra extra read all about it a celebrity.
Speaker 1: Rag Worth reading Dave's dirt on kd w B short out with this is the sad news. I didn't know that James Vanderbeek has was that sick and he died yesterday. You want him, I want you. You love him like.
Speaker 2: I love you.
Speaker 4: The difference is he loves you back the same way and you deserve that, okay, And I'm not going to be the one who stands in the way.
Speaker 1: If you didn't if you don't remember, he was Dawson on Dawson's Creek so back in the nineteen nineties. Never watched the show, but it was such a big show that even if you didn't watch it, you still heard about it, kind of like Love is Blind. I've never watched an episode of Love is Blind and I never will, but you hear about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know about it. He was in the cultural fabric of our lives.
Speaker 1: He was, Yeah, and I guess they put together a go fund me because I'm not sure, you know, you think somebody like that is going to be wealthy forever and apparently, you know, he probably was doing just fine, but you know, he had a ton of medical expenses, so his friends put together a go fund Me and raised about one point one million dollars for living expenses. He's got six kids and things like that. Wow, So just sad to hear well.
Speaker 8: The Olympics are obviously still going on. I watched a little bit of the free dance figure.
Speaker 3: Skating last night.
Speaker 8: I really good it was It wasn't for I felt like they all picked like these very dramatic songs and then the one song I really did like was like England or something, and then they got like the worst score and I was like, well, maybe they should have gone dramatic. Anyways, moving on, So Sophia Kirkby. She finished fifth in the women's double luge. Her consolation will be two dates this Valentine's Day. Apparently, her schedule opens following the team luge relay today, and Sophia said the athletes are down to have fun, especially once they're done competing, and she received more than six hundred dms since posting this last weekend. I had the best time walking in the open ceremony. Seeing everyone dressed up and soaking it all in was UnrealEd. Now the only question is did I just walk with my future Valentine hashtag Team USA. So apparently, prior to the opening ceremony, Sophia announced her arrival to the athletes village as the most eligible bachelorette and she promised to show the behind the scenes life of an olympian dating at the Olympics.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm gonna follow her immediately. This sounds entertaining.
Speaker 2: Savannah Guthrie has there's more news in that whole case here that there's another ransom note that was sent to TMZ. This is the third one regarding Savannah Guthrie's eighty four year old mother, Nancy, and this one promises to rat out the kidnapper if the family pays one bitcoin. And at first when I heard, oh, one bitcoin, oh weird much?
Speaker 1: But one bitcoin is.
Speaker 2: Worth about sixty six thousand dollars, you right, And that's I had no idea, which that's more than the fifty thousand dollars reward that law enforcement is offering for information about Nancy's kidnapper. So they they say that the note does not appear to be from her captor. But the note says if they want the name of the individual involved, then I want one bitcoin to the following wallet.
Speaker 6: I read something yesterday, though people were like, is this Savannah Guthrie thing starting to seem a little Jesse smow lettish.
Speaker 3: No, don't I didn't say that.
Speaker 6: I'm telling you what I read online. But I'm just curious as to why. I just feel like we haven't gotten any new developments. I'm like, I want more information, and I don't know what the FBI, Like, why do we just get that.
Speaker 1: Ring cam footage? You know what I'm saying, the little suss I don't think.
Speaker 8: We're privy to every single thing that happens with a criminal case.
Speaker 3: Like I think that they have to keep certain things private.
Speaker 2: I mean, I know they're worried about her being like already already like gone, yeah, but there they're not like going into these like ransom notes. They're not like giving into it and being like, sure, here's all the money that you want, here's all this, here's all that, because they want to know that she's still alive, which makes total sense to me because if somebody took me and you thought that, like, well, Bailey's not on her medication and she's not gonna last if she's not on her medication, then I would just be like, well, don't give him to then, because I'm probably dead anyway.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: Well I think that's the that's the rub, and now they want the body return. Yeah, But I mean, we can spend a lot of time on this one, but I think that if she died there is they don't want to return the body. They're probably trying to figure out how to dispose the body because they're thinking about how to cover their own tracks. So it's just horrible and sad all the way around.
Speaker 6: So Zay was on the Call Her Daddy podcast and he's talking about how he doesn't really think he was in love previously.
Speaker 7: Just to say this on record, I will always love Jit because she's the reason did you hide my child, isn't you know? On this earth? And I'm the oltmost respect for her. I will always love her. Well, I don't know if I was having.
Speaker 6: In like Dave said earlier, sometimes you just you're like after the fact, I don't know if I'm in.
Speaker 1: Love, don't really know that I was ever in love. Thick I know. How does Dolly Parton stay so grounded despite being so successful. Somebody dug of an interview from twenty one years ago, and here's Dolly talking about how she stays down to earth. Years ago.
Speaker 9: One of the things that I was most proud of. They put a statue, a bronze statue of me in the courthouse yard of our hometown, and I was so proud of that, and I was just ragging, bragging, but I went on and on about it a little too much, and my dad said, I said, Dad, don't.
Speaker 3: Think that's great. He said, yes, I do.
Speaker 9: I am very very proud of you, he said, because I know that to your fans you may be some sort of an idol, but to the pigeons, you're just another outhouse.
Speaker 2: Keeps you grounding.
Speaker 1: That's that's really interesting because she is definitely, I mean, as far as we know, stayed very grounded over the years.
Speaker 8: Yesterday was the big parade for the Seattle Seahawks for winning the Super Bowl, and here is Sam Darnold talking about who believed in him.
Speaker 4: I just want to say I've talked a lot this last week about belief. A lot of people, you know, didn't believe in me, but it didn't matter because the ones that are close believed in me, including y'all. I appreciate y'all so much. Oh if also includes Jody Allen, John Schneider, Mike McDonald man. I appreciate the belief y'all had in me for son of me last this past year, and last was certainly not least these players man for believing in me. You know, I wouldn't be here without these guys.
Speaker 8: If you remember, he was the Vikings quarterback last year.
Speaker 2: He is well. Recordings by Radiohead, Funkadelic, Tupac, Jada Jackson, Heart, Lucinda Williams, and Selena are all going into the Grammy Hall of Fame, which is nice. When first I read Selena and I thought Selena Gomez.
Speaker 1: That's that's what I thought too.
Speaker 2: But yeah, the artist Selena. So even though the Grammys are passed, they're still putting people into the.
Speaker 1: Grammy Hall of Fame. I feel bad for celebrities that have to do with Papa Razzi.
Speaker 6: Dual Lee but and kleem Or Callum Turner were headed into their home and they had to try to fight off the French paparazzi.
Speaker 3: I don't know, we're not doing this.
Speaker 6: Just give us and we leave you alone.
Speaker 1: Just give and we leave you alone. Yes, wow, that's gotta be just awful at their home too. It's not even public. That's the worst. Well, leave you alone. Okay. So it is almost Valentine's Day and we remember all of our lives. We've seen those little candy hearts that taste terrible. But they have those cute little messages like be mine or love you, and then they started to modernize them, probably twenty thirty years ago. Remember one that said fax me.
Speaker 2: Fax me was the one in when I was in second grade. Joshua Koleski. He's like, do you know what fax me means?
Speaker 1: And I was like no. He's like, it means to have sex with somebody. Are you serious?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: And I was too serious in second grade, this little perverse.
Speaker 2: That's not what fax me means, Dave to me. Wow, I thought that was for years, honestly for.
Speaker 1: You to ax me.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: They have new ones this year, and basically they're talking about how people are suffering in the economy and it affects their Valentine's Day plan. So instead of mushi messages, you're gonna see ones like split rent, cook four to two, buy in, bulk, join account, split bill, and even share log in. Because nothing says commitment that sharing your Netflix password.
Speaker 10: No Kady is gonna say what that mouth do. They don't say that. They can't fit it on there, bigger heart exactly right. All right, that is the dirt for now. Let's get into the Black History moment. It's Black History Month, and let's do this. Let's get flowers to the voices that change the game. So it's time to celebrate another artist on vus Black History Month moment, Katy WB.
Speaker 6: For over thirty years, Missy Elliott has helped redefine R and B, hip hop and progressive rap music. So let's put the spotlight on her for today's Black His three Month moment. So many media outlets through the years have called her the Queen of Rap, the Queen of hip hop, the first Lady of hip hop. Not only could she's a phenomenal rapper, but since the beginning of a career, Missy Elliott has been one.
Speaker 1: Of the first hip hop and R and B performers to.
Speaker 6: Discuss feminism, sex and body positivity, and gender equality in her songs. Work It peaked that number two on the Billboard Hot one hundred and Missy Elliott won the two thousand and two Grammy for Best Rap Solo Performance with this song. Missy Elliott's overall discography has sold forty million records worldwide, and she's influenced so many other artists visually and vocally, Like Tyler the creator Lil Wayne, Cardi B, Sierra, Arie, Lennox, Solange, and so many more. Even Katie Perry showed Missy Elliot some love during her Super Bowl Halftype performance in twenty fifteen, where she joined her to perform some of her biggest hits. You probably didn't know that Missy Elliott co produced Christina Aguilera's rendition of this Hite. Although Missy doesn't put out as much music today as she used to, she continues to help to find music history through other artists, which is why we have to continue to celebrate the queen of hip hop, Missy Elliott and today's Black History Month.
Speaker 1: Moment celebrating the voices that shifted culture forward in all month on good job bon on a Black History Month moment. Every day this month, another little little peaks, same things we didn't know about different black artists. I think very much for the extra work, you're getting paid extra for that I wasn't getting paid to start with. You get paid his money. So Jenny said, you should give an update on your shoulder, because you know, yeah, because we all want to hear about each other's health problems. So Jenny and I were like, we're a couple of old people on a porch in a nursing hole in her rocking chair, sitting to us that my wrist surgery went really well. So I go to the again an MRI. I got shoulder pain. It's been like eight months or something like that, and so I go to the doctor and they're like, okay, well X ray is okay. Then I go to physical therapy. Okay, try this this this. So I get an MRI and then I get the results yesterday and the doctor's like, you've got a torn, like fully torn ligament in your shoulder. Do you remember injuring it? And I'm like, no, I mean I didn't fall, I didn't do anything. I said. I don't know how it happened.
Speaker 2: Well didn't when you follow you like hurt your hand and your hand swell up and everything.
Speaker 1: Couldn't that have been before that? Yeah? It was for that, But now that you mentioned it, maybe that did hurt my shoulder too. That kind of makes a little bit of sense. Yeah, I forgot about that one. Thank you, Bailey. Welcome right, you didn't even need to go to the doctor. So the next step is probably shoulder surgery. So I'm to talked to a shoulder surgeon. How long is that going to take. Well, you'll be out for about eight weeks or so.
Speaker 3: Well out as in, like you can't move your shoulder.
Speaker 1: I don't know if you're on the couch with your arm propped up in a cast or what. But volleyball seasons coming up, you.
Speaker 3: Guys, you love playing at Fletcher's.
Speaker 1: I'm big into beach volleyball, you know, I mean like watching beach volleyball and watching everything bounce. Okay, it's also push up season. Yeah, it is push season.
Speaker 5: Anyway.
Speaker 1: So I've never had to recover from his soldiers shoulder surgery. Uh, so that'll be a whole lot of fun.
Speaker 8: You didn't back in your day when you played for the Gophers injured a couple of times.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So anyway, so there's the update on that one you ever had shoulder surgery. It's like a fully torn ligament. And they showed me the MRI I, which I don't know what the doctor was showing me. I could have been looking at the inside of a grand piano.
Speaker 2: You're looking at the X ray and you're like, is there a baby in there?
Speaker 1: Because you're like, that's only in picture. What's happening. It's so anyway, if you ever had shoulder surgery, warned me, send me a text and let me know. Is it horrible, be.
Speaker 3: Nice about it.
Speaker 8: Though people love to sending their horror story, they're going to basically tell you you're gonna die.
Speaker 3: Yeah, don't do that. Okay.
Speaker 1: One of the reasons I never had of a sectomy is because I brought it up on the radio and then all these guys are like, let me just tell you never been the same since, can't perform like a man like I used to. And I'm like, okay, well I'm gonna do that. Well, all right, we'll be back in the second. On kW We're gonna try something that is probably ill advised, but you know, you got to try new things once in a while. You can't keep going to the same restaurant. You can't keep going to the same place for vacation. We're gonna try something that's probably ill advised, but Jenny's encouraging us to do.
Speaker 8: I yeah, because I got a little glimpse of it the other day on the Minnesota Goodbye and it made me laugh.
Speaker 1: Well, we'll see, we'll see. It's coming up next on kd W.
Speaker 4: B